PDA

View Full Version : 15 Duke Footballers diagnosed with Swine Flu

wolfpackdevil
08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Heather Dinch (ACC Football Reporter,) announced tonight that 15 unamed Duke Football players have had swine flu symtoms while being at Training Camp.

She reports that the cases are mild and most of the players will return to practice tomorrow at 8:30am.

here is the complete story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4398021

CameronBornAndBred
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Damn. Held onto the pigskin too long.

TaiAdmiral
08-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Oh boy. Not good. There were actually a lot of cases on East Campus this summer while I was at Duke...Giles dorm on East was a temporary quarantine for kids on East who had swine flu symptoms...

...and the undergrads are coming back in 10 days. :(

Newton_14
08-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Damn. Held onto the pigskin too long.

Classic.. Thanks for the laugh

Bostondevil
08-15-2009, 12:12 PM
My oldest son was at TIP this year. They had to shut down due to 25 cases of swine flu. Luckily my son wasn't one of them but it sounds like Duke as whole as been hit hard!

4decadedukie
08-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Lots of recent news that approximately half of Duke's football team has been mildly infected by H1N1. For example, the News and Observer indicates that these infections are mild, lasting only two or three days, not at all threatening to athletes in their teens and early-twenties, and that neither UNC nor NC State has yet been similarly afflicted.

While we all certainly hope for universal good health, it seem fairly clear that H1N1 will be extremely prevalent among college-age people this autumn and will likely spread rapidly throughput the United States during the next months. Since those that have been exposed to the virus tend to be immunized and since the vaccine will not be available until the October/November time-frame (and, even then, may be rationed for several months), I wonder if this might give our football team a serendipitous advantage during the "meat" of the season?

OZZIE4DUKE
08-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Lots of recent news that approximately half of Duke's football team has been mildly infected by H1N1. For example, the News and Observer indicates that these infections are mild, lasting only two or three days, not at all threatening to athletes in their teens and early-twenties, and that neither UNC nor NC State has yet been similarly afflicted.

While we all certainly hope for universal good health, it seem fairly clear that H1N1 will be extremely prevalent among college-age people this autumn and will likely spread rapidly throughput the United States during the next months. Since those that have been exposed to the virus tend to be immunized and since the vaccine will not be available until the October/November time-frame (and, even then, may be rationed for several months), I wonder if this might give our football team a serendipitous advantage during the "meat" of the season?
It's all part of the conspiracy that will enable Duke to win the ACC championship THIS year, a year ahead of schedule! :cool:

4decadedukie
08-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Oh no, Ozzie, you've let the "cat out of the bag" and soon the southeastern media and the legions of "Duke haters" will surely suggest that our University is involved in biological warfare.
:)

CameronBlue
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM
It's all part of the conspiracy that will enable Duke to win the ACC THIS year, a year ahead of schedule! :cool:

I'm not sure I see it quite that way. Is there any college football program that has seen more Old Testament wrath than Duke Football? Disease, Pestilence, natural disasters, and Wally Wade toilets, geez. You can almost hear the stadium vendors "Get your incense, Get your myrrh, only 20 shekels!"

CMARTZ
08-17-2009, 12:17 AM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/cutcliffe-discusses-teams-bout-with-h1n1

"We've just told everybody to hug our trainer if they felt bad and everything would be okay."

Poor guy!