PDA

View Full Version : NIT Tip-off Field

Kfanarmy
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
some potential interesting matchups; downloadable bracket at: http://www.nit.org/sports/m-pnit/spec-rel/081209aad.html

Azdukefan
08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Assuming ASU holds up their end of the bargain, it will be fun to give Boateng a taste of what he missed at a real basketball school.

OldSchool
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
If the seeds hold, Duke vs UCONN in MSG??!

Let's get ready to rummmmmble!

wolfpackdevil
08-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I think the Duke/Charlotte game will be a good game for Duke.

Charlotte is a good coached team and will come to play. This is Duke's biggest test in a second round of one of these tournaments;

Olympic Fan
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I agree that Charlotte has been well-coached by Bobby Lutz. They've had some good teams in the past, but they are in a bit of a rebuilding mode.

They return three starters -- all guards -- off an 11-20 team from last year. Their best player is point guard DiJuan Harris, a former walkon who had one of the best assist/turnover ratios in the nation last year (2.93 to 1). They don't have a single player returning who averaged in double figures.

Lutz is trying to rebuild his frontcourt around Boston College transfer Shamari Spears, a Charlotte native who averaged 9.6 points and 6.1 rebounds for BC two years ago. They're also hoping for big things from Chris Braswell,a 6-8 freshman that got some ACC looks (he's usually ranked in the top 60).

They'll probably beat Elon (9-20 last year) in the first round. I doubt the 49ers will be much of a threat in Cameron.

And I don't agree that they're the best second round team Duke has played in one of these tournaments -- not even close.

Duke played a very strong UAB team (ranked No. 16 in the nation at the time) in the second round of the 1985 preseason NIT. We played Marquette in the first round and Boston College (then in the Big East) in the second round of the 1990 preseason NIT. We played St. Joseph's and Vanderbilt in the first and second round of the 1996 preseason NIT; Princeton and Villanova in the first/second round of the 2000 preseasonm NIT... those are just the NIT second rounds. In Alaska and Hawaii, Duke has had second round tests from the likes of Cincinnati, No. 23 Indiana, South Carolina, Missouri and No. 15 Cincinnati (the only regular season loss for the 1998-99 Devils).

gep
08-12-2009, 08:35 PM
They return three starters -- all guards -- off an 11-20 team from last year. Their best player is point guard DiJuan Harris, a former walkon who had one of the best assist/turnover ratios in the nation last year (2.93 to 1).

This gave me a flashback to Rhode Island last year... I guess no game is "easy"...:rolleyes:

Greg_Newton
08-12-2009, 08:55 PM
For some reason I find myself feeling much more optimistic and comfortable when looking at matchups this year than I did last year. I think it's due to the depth of size and talent we will have, even if there are still many unknowns.

It's like when you get pushed around by a bully and then you come back with all your big friends the next day! :cool:

MChambers
08-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Assuming ASU holds up their end of the bargain, it will be fun to give Boateng a taste of what he missed at a real basketball school.

Why would you bear a grudge? Eric Boateng decided to transfer, but maybe it was the right decision for him. I think most of us wish him well.

In any event, Boateng hasn't played much for ASU, so I'd be surprised if he plays much in any Duke-ASU matchup.

FireOgilvie
08-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Why would you bear a grudge? Eric Boateng decided to transfer, but maybe it was the right decision for him. I think most of us wish him well.

In any event, Boateng hasn't played much for ASU, so I'd be surprised if he plays much in any Duke-ASU matchup.

I think he will play. I saw something earlier in the summer that said he was going to be forced to play a much larger role this upcoming season. He's the only returning player over 6'8".

Azdukefan
08-13-2009, 12:29 AM

No grudges here. The long and short of it was he probably did not have a future in our program so he went somewhere he can play (Wellsfargo Arena is known for being as full as 1/3 and even 1/2 when UCLA is in town). Why would you want to play in front of the crazies when you could play in front of the herbivores (most of you probably did not even know that is what they call themselves)? Either way, they will head to MSG, lose to the "real" devils and Boateng will understand what Duke is all about. Again no grudges!

whereinthehellami
08-13-2009, 09:04 AM
I was just looking at UCONN, they finished 3rd last year and lost 4 players (Adrien 6-7, Austrie 6-3, Price 6-3, Thabeet 7-3 (NBA)) from their roster. The only freshman of note that they added was Alex Oriakhi, a 6-9 PF ranked 16 in the RSCI for 2009. They return Dyson (6-4, SR), Walker (6-1, SO), and Stanley Robinson (6-9, SR). So they lost alot of talent but still have some guards that would test our backcourt. They have some significant holes in their lineup, namely shooting and a dominant force in the post. If it happens, it would be a nice early season matchup for Duke.

Olympic Fan
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I was just looking at UCONN, they finished 3rd last year and lost 4 players (Adrien 6-7, Austrie 6-3, Price 6-3, Thabeet 7-3 (NBA)) from their roster. The only freshman of note that they added was Alex Oriakhi, a 6-9 PF ranked 16 in the RSCI for 2009. They return Dyson (6-4, SR), Walker (6-1, SO), and Stanley Robinson (6-9, SR). So they lost alot of talent but still have some guards that would test our backcourt. They have some significant holes in their lineup, namely shooting and a dominant force in the post. If it happens, it would be a nice early season matchup for Duke.

No question they take a step back after their player losses, but they are still a top 20 team. In addition to the players listed above, they return Ater Majok, a 6-10, 230-pound inside force (who has been compared to former UConn star Charlie Villeneava) who missed last season for academic reasons, then flirted with the NBA. He was rivals No. 13 overall prospect in 2008.

In one sense, it's good that he's back -- he was one of two UConn players (Nate Miles the other) involved with former manager-turned-agent Josh Nochimson. His return will help keep that ugly story alive.

Oops ... just checked and see that Majok is still having eligibility issues and isn't expected to play until second semester. So he's not going to be there for the preseason NIT:

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=966582

Shooting has been a recent problem -- but Dyson was their best shooter a year ago before he went down with a knee injury (which had a lot to do with their late-season slide). They are adding two rookies who, while not rated that highly overall, have good reputations as shooters -- Jamal Trice and Jamaal Coombs-McDaniel.

I think the starting backcourt of Kemba Walker and Jerome Dyson will be excellent ... Stanley Robinson IS a dominant force in the post -- not as a scorer, but as a rebounder and shot blocker. Oraikhi should help from day one. It will be interesting to see what Majok gives them in the middle at midseason.

Tom B.
08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
DBR's Main Page article on the NIT field says the following:

Everyone playing in Cameron, incidentally, is from in-state.

Coastal Carolina actually isn't in North Carolina. It's in Conway, South Carolina (near Myrtle Beach).

whereinthehellami
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
No question they take a step back after their player losses, but they are still a top 20 team. In addition to the players listed above, they return Ater Majok, a 6-10, 230-pound inside force (who has been compared to former UConn star Charlie Villeneava) who missed last season for academic reasons, then flirted with the NBA. He was rivals No. 13 overall prospect in 2008.

In one sense, it's good that he's back -- he was one of two UConn players (Nate Miles the other) involved with former manager-turned-agent Josh Nochimson. His return will help keep that ugly story alive.

Oops ... just checked and see that Majok is still having eligibility issues and isn't expected to play until second semester. So he's not going to be there for the preseason NIT:

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=966582

Shooting has been a recent problem -- but Dyson was their best shooter a year ago before he went down with a knee injury (which had a lot to do with their late-season slide). They are adding two rookies who, while not rated that highly overall, have good reputations as shooters -- Jamal Trice and Jamaal Coombs-McDaniel.

I think the starting backcourt of Kemba Walker and Jerome Dyson will be excellent ... Stanley Robinson IS a dominant force in the post -- not as a scorer, but as a rebounder and shot blocker. Oraikhi should help from day one. It will be interesting to see what Majok gives them in the middle at midseason.

Dyson (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31554) is their best shooter but he only checks in at 35% from deep, 41% from 2, and 72% from the FT line. Those numbers are respectable but not on par with other team's top shooters. Duke as a team shot 35% from 3 last year.

shoutingncu
08-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Any idea when tickets go on sale for the MSG games?

msdukie
08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Any idea when tickets go on sale for the MSG games?

Immediately after Duke's second game if/when Duke advances.

shoutingncu
08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Immediately after Duke's second game if/when Duke advances.

Thanks. Although I'd certainly be interested in going regardless of who advances.

jdwilson22
08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking about going also, only problem is it's on Thansgiving weekend, that kinda sucks.

shoutingncu
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Missed the boat on the internet pre-sale, but tickets are now available for the semi-finals and championship through ticketmaster and such.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Nit-Season-TipOff-Semifinal-Doubleheader-tickets/artist/1378107

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Nit-Season-TipOff-Championship-Doubleheader-tickets/artist/1378108

DU82
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
In the event we are playing in the championship game on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I'm glad they moved the game up to 5PM (the 3/4 game is at 2:30.) This'll give me more time to drive back in time to go to the last football game against Wake the next day. With my luck, we'll finally be the Raycom game of the week, and play at noon!

weezie
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
In the event we are playing in the championship game on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I'm glad they moved the game up to 5PM (the 3/4 game is at 2:30.) This'll give me more time to drive back in time to go to the last football game against Wake the next day. With my luck, we'll finally be the Raycom game of the week, and play at noon!

Now there's some kind of dedication. I hope somebody packs you some leftover turkey sandwiches for the drive.