PDA

View Full Version : Player of the Decade

Azdukefan
08-09-2009, 11:13 PM
http://http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-08-05/who-college-basketball-athlete-decade-hansbrough-or-williams

Come on, this is riddiculous. As much as I hate Hanstravel, is there really a comparison? Sorry guys, Jay Williams is among my favorites ever but Hansborough had a better career. Now, had Williams come back for 02-03 (or the foul on Boozer called), I think the outcome would be different.

COYS
08-10-2009, 12:16 AM
http://http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-08-05/who-college-basketball-athlete-decade-hansbrough-or-williams

Come on, this is riddiculous. As much as I hate Hanstravel, is there really a comparison? Sorry guys, Jay Williams is among my favorites ever but Hansborough had a better career. Now, had Williams come back for 02-03 (or the foul on Boozer called), I think the outcome would be different.

I think a far better comparison would have been JJ vs. Hanstravel. Obviously, that '09 title would probably be a difference maker in the voting, fair or not, but it would make more sense. Two four year players who became the face of college basketball for most of their time on campus, garnering boatloads of individual awards along the way.

brevity
08-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I found it interesting that the early comments on the Sporting News page (fixed link here (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-08-05/who-college-basketball-athlete-decade-hansbrough-or-williams)) were of the "Give us more choices, college basketball isn't limited to just two teams" sentiment. I completely agree with that. Assuming that their site's poll software isn't limited to just 2 choices (DBR has 12!), you could make a weighted list of 10 names like this:

4-year players (4):
J.J. Redick
Tyler Hansbrough
Jameer Nelson
Hakim Warrick

3-year players (3):
Jay Williams
Emeka Okafor
Adam Morrison

2-year players (2):
Andrew Bogut
Dwyane Wade

1 and done (1):
Carmelo Anthony

I suppose you could add Shane Battier to the list, as he played just as many seasons of college basketball this decade as Dwyane Wade, and twice as many as Carmelo Anthony.

There may be better options out there (Kevin Durant over Melo, any number of seniors over Warrick); my memory is limited to those who won titles and/or Player of the Year awards.

P.S. And that's just the men.

RelativeWays
08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
JJ vs Beaker makes much better sense, and objectively I give the nod to Beaker because he did win the championship his senior year. It does seem kinda odd to leave out any of the players from UF, Kansas, the 04 UConn squad, the 05 sheep squad, even the 01 Duke and 'zona teams, lots of good players abound. Juan Dixon had a pretty good career too, most of it in the double aughts so why not him?

Cameron
08-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't call it ridiculous. Jason was a two-time first team All-American, two-time national player of the year, scored 2,079 points in three seasons (averaging over 21 PPG as both a sophomore and a junior), and averaged 25.7 per contest during Duke's run to an NCAA Tournament championship in 2001.

He was graceful yet powerful, fundamental yet crafty. He had the entire package. Jason's game (we will choose to remember less about his free throw shooting) was as complete as any player college basketball has seen over the past quarter century. He could split the defense and take it inside for a dunk or reverse lay-in, stop on a dime for a 30-footer, or pop up for an elbow jumper. He was one of the most explosive players the game has or ever will see, and had that rare knack for taking over and truly dominating games that few players have ever been gifted with.

Tyler Hansbrough didn't even whiff that characteristic. He had a fine career, a great career even, but he was nowhere near the talent Jason Williams was. With all due respect, Tyler was nowhere close.

superdave
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Hanborough was the 3rd best player on UNC this year behind Ellington (FF MOP) and Lawson (ACC POY). In fact UNC became a National Championship team because Hansborough took a lesser role. They were never going to win it all when he was the #1 option, sort of like Duke with Redick as #1 option. Too many limitations as a player...

Lord Ash
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Uhhh...

I am sorry, but this seems silly... JJ? Jason? Hans?

No. Player of the Decade is Shane. Title, another title game, Player of the Year, and THREE National Defensive Player of the Year awards. Most wins in college basketball history. Duh. No need for a poll.

Azdukefan
08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Uhhh...

I am sorry, but this seems silly... JJ? Jason? Hans?

No. Player of the Decade is Shane. Title, another title game, Player of the Year, and THREE National Defensive Player of the Year awards. Most wins in college basketball history. Duh. No need for a poll.

Wrong decade. Shane can only have the 99-00 & 00-01 seasons for this decade. Still go with Beaker. Anyone that can go 4-0 in Cameron earns my respect.

Cameron
08-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Lord Ash:

I thought about that too, but I went with Azdukefan's theory of Shane not having played enough seasons this decade.

If this isn't a requirement of the original list, however, then Shane would win this debate hands down. Jason is number two. There are not two other players that come close to their credentials or talent, IMO. JJ is up there, but, without a title, no cigar.