PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Laurance leaving.......

moonpie23
08-03-2009, 09:26 PM
bummer.......what a great addition to duke basketball he has been..

we will really miss you matt......good luck man...

Duke79UNLV77
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't mind that gig! I'm sure I'm not alone.

Bob Green
08-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Due to living in Japan, I am forced to listen to games on the radio from time to time so I'm very familar with Matthew Laurance's work. His reporting on what the staff and players discussed on the sidelines, during timeouts, was a highlight for me. I enjoyed Matthew immeasureably and wish him the best of luck in future endeavors.

fuse
08-04-2009, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't mind that gig! I'm sure I'm not alone.

No kidding- where can I sign up? That would be a total dream job.

Inonehand
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Matthew will be missed for much more than his reporting during games. What a good dude.

captmojo
08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I wish Mr. Laurence the best.
I do hope that Duke Radio will continue the services of bench reporting that he did so well.

4decadedukie
08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Thank you for ALL you have contributed and for your true expertise; I know you will always be a part of the Duke and DBR communities and, without facts, I somehow have the feeling that you'll be back. Good luck!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Matthew,

Good luck with your new endeavor in Lexington. I've been there once (not for a basketball game) and it seems like a very nice city. All that rolling land - if they got rid of the dang horses they could build some beautiful golf courses on it! I'm glad I had a chance to meet you and chat after you spoke at a Blue Devil Club meeting last spring.

And remember, if you meet some obnoxious Kentucky fan and you REALLY want to irritate him, make his face turn red and see steam come out of his ears, just whisper two words into his ear and stand back and watch the fun. What two words? "Christian Laettner", of course! :D

If Coach K can't hook you up with a ticket to the carolina game next February, PM me through the board - I think I'll have an extra, as my daughter will be preoccupied in the delivery room and won't be able to join me! :cool::cool:

And while I'd love to have your old job, the man most qualified for it would be our own Carlos, and I bet he'd trade his seat upstairs for yours downstairs!

Again, good luck in Lexington. Don't be a stranger around here!

Ozzie

weezie
08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Good luck Matthew! I hope you take some innoculations against those rabid uk fans. Remember to laugh with them instead of at them :D !!

jhole
08-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Decorating suggestion: Given your new locale, I think one of the nice framed posters of the Christian's shot in "The Game" would look great hanging in a prominent place in the family room and would be a great conversation piece when you invite new friends over! Or maybe the foyer...

We'll miss seeing you on TV and hearing you on the radio, check in from time to time on DBR and let us know what you're up to.

jv001
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Matthew, you will be missed. I wish you the best and God Bless you and your wonderful family.
And always, Go Duke!

roywhite
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Enjoyed Matthew's commentary over the years; his interviews, benchside reporting, and feature stories were excellent.

Going to Lexington and hosting a sportstalk show seems like a trip to the Lions' Den, or the Wildcats" Den, in this case. Talking all things Calipari and Big Blue with the relentless UK hoardes will test his patience and good humor. I'm sure a few of them will question his Duke connections, also.

Good luck, Matthew.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Enjoyed Matthew's commentary over the years; his interviews, benchside reporting, and feature stories were excellent.

Going to Lexington and hosting a sportstalk show seems like a trip to the Lions' Den, or the Wildcats" Den, in this case. Talking all things Calipari and Big Blue with the relentless UK hoardes will test his patience and good humor. I'm sure a few of them will question his Duke connections, also.

Good luck, Matthew.

Matthew has proven himself to be a good actor.

WeepingThomasHill
08-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Being one of the stars on 90210 and covering Duke basketball - you are a lucky guy. Best of luck in Kentucky.

pbc2
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Best of luck Matthew - you and your work will be missed by Duke fans everywhere! Thanks for all the memories!

bill brill
08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
never forget, 10 for 10, 10 for 10, and a gentle foot. christian was always right.

Lavabe
08-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Good luck with your new endeavor in Lexington. I've been there once (not for a basketball game) and it seems like a very nice city. All that rolling land - if they got rid of the dang horses they could build some beautiful golf courses on it! I'm glad I had a chance to meet you and chat after you spoke at a Blue Devil Club meeting last spring.

And remember, if you meet some obnoxious Kentucky fan and you REALLY want to irritate him, make his face turn red and see steam come out of his ears, just whisper two words into his ear and stand back and watch the fun. What two words? "Christian Laettner", of course! :D

Congratulations on the move, Matthew. You will not be the only Dukies in Lexington. We'll be following you over here!!

NOTE: In a previous thread, ILJ and I wound up NOT taking the L8NR vanity plate. It IS available for life in Lexington.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Indoor66
08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
never forget, 10 for 10, 10 for 10, and a gentle foot. Christian was always right.

post of the week!

Son of Mojo
08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the good work over the years.

tonyg
08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Matthew, I wish you good luck...in Kentucky? Come on! Calipari!

Oh well, I thought Coach K taught you better. I guess that friendship is over.

You are a good man, husband, and father and wish nothing but the best for your family. Chuck and I will miss your stories and how it was such a pleasure to watch Duke Basketball at places like Maryland. I know you will miss Maryland's fans terribly.

Good Luck Bro and remember these two words...Go Pack!

Tony

gep
08-08-2009, 01:17 AM
I do hope that Duke Radio will continue the services of bench reporting that he did so well.

I also hope that there will be another "Matthew" on the sidelines and in the huddle... I REALLY enjoyed that. However, I recall from somewhere that Matthew was trusted by Coach K to be in the huddle (maybe even the sideline behind the bench?) which I think Matthew "earned" the trust from Coach K. So, I'm not sure Duke Radio itself can get the next sideline/huddle reporter that close, until Coach K says so:rolleyes: I think the trust between Coach K and matthew was special and very unique...

airowe
08-16-2009, 10:43 AM
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/david-glenn/200908165749/david-glenn-chats-with-matthew-laurance.php

ricks68
08-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Best of luck in Lexington. You will by sorely missed. Thanks for your great contributions to Duke, and especially the Duke Basketball Program.

ricks