PDA

View Full Version : APs and Majors, Crips and Cribs

AtlDuke72
07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
From one of the articles I read, it looks like Dre has some AP credits (Stats and Chemistry?)...so two of those could count towards his general graduation requirements and thus ease his class schedules during the fall and spring semesters. So, even though he can't take summer courses at Duke this year, it's kind of a wash if those AP credits transfer.

I am pretty sure that even though AP courses from high school let you place into a more advanced course, they do not count towards graduation credits. If they did, almost every Duke freshman would be well on their way to graduation when they showed up since they have to have a number of AP courses to get admitted.

devil84
07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I am pretty sure that even though AP courses from high school let you place into a more advanced course, they do not count towards graduation credits. If they did, almost every Duke freshman would be well on their way to graduation when they showed up since they have to have a number of AP courses to get admitted.

I think my kids' high school guidance office said that admissions would like at least 8 AP classes on a high school transcript (which is somewhat difficult to do at ADHS given the block schedule and limited selection of AP classes, but very easy at other high schools around the country). These will allow you to place into upper classes. Only two AP courses will count towards graduation credit, though.

El_Diablo
07-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Actually, students can count up to two AP credits towards graduation.

Kedsy
07-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Actually, students can count up to two AP credits towards graduation.

It has been quite awhile, but when I went to Duke, taking the AP course didn't get you credit unless you took the AP exam and did well on it. How good your score was determined how many credits you got. (I got two credits in math, which definitely counted towards graduation.)

MulletMan
07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Trinity College draws a distinction between college-level work completed prior to matriculation at Duke and work completed at another college or university after matriculation at Duke (for the latter, see Transfer Credit). We recognize three types of pre-college work for which you may receive a limited amount of elective credit at Duke at matriculation:

Advanced Placement Credit (AP),
International Placement Credit (IPC)

Pre-Matriculation Credit (PMC)
Trinity College will record on your permanent Duke record courses of these three types completed prior to matriculation at Duke. The three types of pre-college course work are regarded as equivalent and may be used for placement into higher-level course work and to satisfy major and minor requirements to the extent allowed by individual departments. Additionally, up to two of these elective credits will apply toward the degree requirement of 34 course credits. APs, IPCs, and PMCs are not given Areas of Knowledge designations or Modes of Inquiry codes and may not be used to fulfill continuation or graduation requirements except as elective credits toward graduation.

Additional AP/IPC/PMC credits may be used as acceleration credits in order to graduate early. Acceleration is defined as completing the requirements for the bachelor's degree one or two semesters earlier than the original expected graduation date. Specifically, for students graduating in seven consecutive semesters, the two elective credits and up to two acceleration credits may be included in the 34 credits required for graduation. For students graduating in six consecutive semesters, the two elective credits and up to six acceleration credits may be included in the 34 credits required for graduation. Students may not use acceleration credits to compensate for time taken away from their studies.

Note: It is important to have AP, IPC and PMC credit evaluated and, if warranted, placed on your transcript during your first year at Duke.

Advanced Placement Credit
APs are familiar to most American students. Duke recognizes the Advanced Placement program of the College Board, and grants a limited amount of elective credit and placement into advanced courses for scores of 4 or 5 on an AP examination. If you have not already done so, please ask the College Board to send your AP score report to Duke's Registrar's Office immediately. To begin the process, see the Registrar's instructions on having your AP scores sent to Duke.

Note: Duke does not recognize AP exam results if the exam is taken after a student’s matriculation at Duke. Furthermore, no equivalent exams granting degree credit (e.g., CLEP, locally administered placement tests, etc.) are recognized by the University.

For specifics see here (http://trinity.duke.edu/academic-requirements?p=ap-credit-by-department).

SilkyJ
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM

I think my kids' high school guidance office said that admissions would like at least 8 AP classes on a high school transcript (which is somewhat difficult to do at ADHS given the block schedule and limited selection of AP classes, but very easy at other high schools around the country). These will allow you to place into upper classes. Only two AP courses will count towards graduation credit, though.

Devil84 is correct, at least as of 2002 when I enrolled. One thing to note though is that you have to receive a 4 or 5 on the AP exam in order for the credit to count. Simply taking and passing the class or the test does not work (a 3 is passing, for example, but wouldn't count).

Cali-Duke
07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, if Andre goes to Pratt, the rules are a little different. Duke takes two social science/humanities and all science and math (except stat). Be like Miles! Go to engineering =)

flyingdutchdevil
07-21-2009, 05:13 AM
Well, if Andre goes to Pratt, the rules are a little different. Duke takes two social science/humanities and all science and math (except stat). Be like Miles! Go to engineering =)

What! Miles is in Pratt?

But Trinity is so much better.... ;)

Bluedog
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM

What! Miles is in Pratt?

But Trinity is so much better.... ;)

According to this (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1628364)Al Featherston article, as of 11/19/2008, Miles is enrolled in Pratt. That is certainly news to me! I'm impressed. Basketball + Pratt certainly isn't easy. Who is the last male basketball player to graduate from Pratt? I can't name any, but I'm sure I'm missing many. I know there was one football player last year. And I also recall a female basketball player in Pratt - Vicki Krapohl, who was in the same class as Alana Beard.

chrisheery
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
According to this (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1628364)Al Featherston article, as of 11/19/2008, Miles is enrolled in Pratt. That is certainly news to me! I'm impressed. Basketball + Pratt certainly isn't easy. Who is the last male basketball player to graduate from Pratt? I can't name any, but I'm sure I'm missing many. I know there was one football player last year. And I also recall a female basketball player in Pratt - Vicki Krapohl, who was in the same class as Alana Beard.

Matt Christiansen was a Civil Engineering student, but it was not yet Pratt at that time, so I don't know if you count that.

I believe Trajan and Tamon were both Math majors, which seems even harder in my estimation, having taken a few of the classes that both majors take. But, I guess that is matter of preference.

El_Diablo
07-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Matt Christiansen was a Civil Engineering student, but it was not yet Pratt at that time, so I don't know if you count that.

Christensen graduated in 2002, and it had been named Pratt since '99. So he counts.

I haven't heard that Andre is considering Pratt. For his sake, I hope not. :)

chrisheery
07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Right. I thought it was later on, but my memory was playing tricks on me. I think he was the last one.

ice-9
07-29-2009, 05:53 AM
Call me crazy, but I thought the hardest classes at Duke were the Sociology ones.

In a quantitative class, you know when you're getting an A. Even in literature, when you "get it" you know that A is coming.

But in sociology, it just seemed like no matter how hard (or little) I try, that B is inevitable. And the amount of boring reading one has to do...yikes.

I'd do engineering over sociology any day... :p

JStuart
07-29-2009, 07:26 AM
But wasn't there a mini-controversy a few years ago about how many basketball players were *gasp* Sociology majors, supposedly the 'easiest' major at Duke? As if any other ACC players had majors harder than Duke's...

miramar
07-29-2009, 09:21 AM
But wasn't there a mini-controversy a few years ago about how many basketball players were *gasp* Sociology majors, supposedly the 'easiest' major at Duke? As if any other ACC players had majors harder than Duke's...

That is quite true, but sometimes you do get a professor with an agenda, and if your politics or background don't quite fit into that agenda, it's very hard to argue your grade in such a subjective field. Having said that, sometimes students don't want to understand why they get the grades they do, so it does cut both ways.

Bluedog
07-29-2009, 10:59 AM

There was a study done in the Chronicle of Higher Education regarding "clustering" of majors for athletes. That is, 25% or more of the athletes on a particular team having the exact same major. USA TODAY has a nice chart that shows the teams who have clustering (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2008-11-18-majors-graphic_N.htm) as of 11/19/2008. It shows that 40.7% of Duke's football players major in sociology (but only got figures for 27 football players). No data available for basketball. That is the 8th highest percentage of any school for a social science major.

Other interesting football numbers:
Ga Tech - 81.8% players majors in Management
Michigan - 75.6% General Studies
Vanderbilt - 64% Human and Organizational Development
Southern Cal - 57.9% Sociology
Va Tech - 63.3% Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management
Northwestern - 45% Communication Studies
Miami - 37.5% Liberal Arts; 25% Sports Administration
Virginia - 36.4% Sociology
Clemson - 33.3% Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management (I remember The Chronicle poked fun at this number/major in an issue a few years back...and then issued an apology a day later).
WF - 30.3% sociology
NC St - 29.4% Sport Management

Notice how there aren't any football or basketball teams with >25% of the team majoring in a science or engineering field. Obviously, this isn't surprising.

Honestly, the thing I find somewhat pathetic is the general studies major that some public schools offer. General studies? (Apologies to those who majored in general studies ;) ) There was an article in the NY Times about this - and they interviewed a football player who said the coach dictated they major in it, but he learned nothing and wasn't prepared for life after basketball. But I can't seem to find that article.

Some basketball numbers:
Ga Tech - 62.5% management
North Carolina - 57.1% Communication Studies
FSU - 57.1% Social Science
Virginia - 50% Anthropology
Clemson - 42.9% sociology

The Chronicle of Higher Education posits that minority players cluster (http://chronicle.com/article/Minority-Football-Players-Are/42387) at an even higher perecentage.

I'm impressed with the academic talents of all of Duke's student athletes. It's really hard to balance the two and they do a very admirable job. Sorry to keep this so off-topic.

To get back on topic, I'm really looking forward to seeing Andre on campus! He seems to really want to do what's best for the team, and will bring some increased athleticism to the backcourt, which will be needed.

InSpades
07-29-2009, 11:00 AM
There's 2 sides to every coin... you can say engineering type classes are easier because there is a definite right answer but at the same time this also means there is a definite wrong answer. 2+2 = 4. There's no way to get partial credit for saying it is 3. You can't BS your way to partial credit when you don't know how to do a math problem.

I am impressed with any athletes that are able to tackle difficult majors while at Duke. Another guy from the same time period as Matt Christiansen was Todd Singleton. I think he may have been a walk-on but he got playing for 4 years and was an Electrical Engineering major.

jaimedun34
07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Not sure if this was posted, but a 2002 WRAL article addressed the sociology program thing.

"Duke does not have an undergraduate business major. And sociology manages a program called markets and management studies," Spenner says.

In the Sociology Department, students can get a marketing minor in sports management, a popular program among athletes nationwide.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/101227/

DevilHorns
07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Call me crazy, but I thought the hardest classes at Duke were the Sociology ones.

In a quantitative class, you know when you're getting an A. Even in literature, when you "get it" you know that A is coming.

But in sociology, it just seemed like no matter how hard (or little) I try, that B is inevitable. And the amount of boring reading one has to do...yikes.

I'd do engineering over sociology any day... :p

Im duke c/o 2006 bio and chem major... and i got to say, the one sociology class i took was my worst grade at duke. the highest grade in the class of 30 students was a B.... its not necessarily that the material is harder, its just that its all based on % (not a curve).

and i cannot believe that miles plumlee is in pratt. pratt is an incredible time committment, he must be incredible at managing his schedule. hats off to him.

Jarhead
08-01-2009, 11:26 AM
and i cannot believe that miles plumlee is in pratt. pratt is an incredible time committment, he must be incredible at managing his schedule. hats off to him.

It may actually work out fine for him. When I was in school, I had two room mates who were engineering majors. Both were on the five year plan which was very common with Duke engineers back then. Perhaps Miles is just hedging his bets. If things don't work out well in basketball, he has something else to keep him motivated. He must enjoy engineering studies, so it may not be that difficult for him. Good for him. Who says K is falling off on recruiting? In my day the crip course of choice was Geology. Go figure.

BD80
08-01-2009, 11:48 AM
... In my day the crip course of choice was Geology. Go figure.

Rocks for Jocks? Never heard of it.

If Andre takes Geology and is asked to illustrate something on the board, would the professor, when turning over the writing implement, say:

"Rock chalk, 'Dre Dawk?"

roywhite
08-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Rocks for Jocks? Never heard of it.

If Andre takes Geology and is asked to illustrate something on the board, would the professor, when turning over the writing implement, say:

"Rock chalk, 'Dre Dawk?"

I groaned and laughed at the same time, BD80.

Nicely done.

dkbaseball
08-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I groaned and laughed at the same time, BD80.

Nicely done.

Roy, am I correct in recalling that "guns and boats" (naval history) and "nuts and sluts" (deviant psychology) were the reliable crip courses of our day?

roywhite
08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Roy, am I correct in recalling that "guns and boats" (naval history) and "nuts and sluts" (deviant psychology) were the reliable crip courses of our day?

What up, there, dkbaseball?

Yeah, sounds about right; wasn't there also a "stagecraft" course of some sort (in English Dept.?) that some of the gentleman scholars gravitated toward? And a "Coaching" course where Hubie Brown entertained everyone quite well.

mgtr
08-01-2009, 10:04 PM
While I didn't attend Duke (I went to a little place out west you probably haven't heard of, about on a par with Duke, it s called Stanford), we had a few similar easy courses -- science for non science majors, "theater practices", where you moved sets around between acts, easy A if you were reliable about showing up. But, my point is, that we didn't call them "crip" courses, we called them "crib" courses. I have no idea of the etymology of either word. Maybe just an eat coats - west coast deal. Maybe a pronunciation issue.
Still, nice to have those courses to fall back on.

yancem
08-02-2009, 10:07 AM
While I didn't attend Duke (I went to a little place out west you probably haven't heard of, about on a par with Duke, it s called Stanford), we had a few similar easy courses -- science for non science majors, "theater practices", where you moved sets around between acts, easy A if you were reliable about showing up. But, my point is, that we didn't call them "crip" courses, we called them "crib" courses. I have no idea of the etymology of either word. Maybe just an eat coats - west coast deal. Maybe a pronunciation issue.
Still, nice to have those courses to fall back on.

I would enter my 2 cents on the crip vs crib course debate but this is a basketball message board and a thread dedicated to Andre Dawkins. Not only is the subject of majors and easy courses off subject for the message board in general, it is focused more Miles Plumlee's major which has nothing to do with Dawkins.

If people really want to continue discussing the subject, can you please move it to a new/relevant thread? I keep clicking on this thread thinking that there is new news about Dawkins' status for next year only see more stuff about Miles, Pratt or crib courses (crib because they are so easy a baby can pass them, ok I had to say it) and it is really annoying.

Rant over, you can now return to your regularly scheduled program.

evilsponge
08-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Duke, Trinity '12 here. First of all, Miles Plumlee was in pratt but he dropped out and went back to trinity.

Also, you can have two AP credits count towards graduation. AP credits are also useful in that they let you take more advanced classes.

In response to a lot of athletes majoring in sociology, it's pretty true. All the easy classes are filled with athletes too. But when I was at the senior game, I remember Greg Paulus and Dave McClure both being announced as PoliSci majors. Both also got a certificate in Markets and Management.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2009, 08:17 PM
"Guns and boats" was popular among the football fraternities when I was an undergraduate a bit before you. Some looked for courses taught by a member of the history department who was known among the students by the name "dirt farmer." Others thought courses taught by Suitcase would be easy, but that was not entirely true.

Jim3k
08-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Others thought courses taught by Suitcase would be easy, but that was not entirely true.

Ahh...Suitcase Simpson. Due to an error by an adviser, in the second semester of my senior year, for graduation I needed to add a course after the add deadline passed. Dr. Simpson was kind enough to let me do so and I was granted a waiver. But it wasn't an easy class. I had to catch up on all the reading, plus an hourly exam. He wasn't easy, but he wasn't unreasonably hard either. Plus, he gave me some pretty good insight on local government. (Never elect real estate agents/developers to the city council. They'll just manipulate the zoning laws to their own benefit. **True then, true now.**)

So Dr. Simpson has a special place in my heart. And I can vouch that he wasn't a crip professor. Maybe not the most demanding, but not deserving of the charge. For certain, he was on the students' side. He wanted people to succeed.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Ahh...Suitcase Simpson. Due to an error by an adviser, in the second semester of my senior year, for graduation I needed to add a course after the add deadline passed. Dr. Simpson was kind enough to let me do so and I was granted a waiver. But it wasn't an easy class. I had to catch up on all the reading, plus an hourly exam. He wasn't easy, but he wasn't unreasonably hard either. Plus, he gave me some pretty good insight on local government. (Never elect real estate agents/developers to the city council. They'll just manipulate the zoning laws to their own benefit. **True then, true now.**)

So Dr. Simpson has a special place in my heart. And I can vouch that he wasn't a crip professor. Maybe not the most demanding, but not deserving of the charge. For certain, he was on the students' side. He wanted people to succeed.
What a fitting tribute to Dr. Simpson. You're right about his focus on the students. He didn't think much of the "pompous airs" of some academicians. He also had a fantastic memory regarding his students. After I signed up to take one of his classes, my dad told me that he had taken one of Dr. Simpson's classes back in the early days of Duke University. Dr. Simpson not only remembered him, he remembered my dad's final grade!