PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Indoor Stadium Makeover

BlueintheFace
08-02-2009, 01:35 PM
http://i27.tinypic.com/qyihiq.jpg

This is certainly a change to CIS I can get behind. It looks good.

Hancock 4 Duke
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh yeah, they told us about that at the Duke Basketball Camp and they had already started by then. They are also building new benches to withstand the CRAZIES!

TaiAdmiral
Wow! That looks awesome!

Azdukefan
Anytime they can add more "real" blue, I am all for it!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Are these new seats or are they the old seats painted blue?

TaiAdmiral
08-02-2009, 01:47 PM
From that picture, it looks like paint to me.

DevilWolf
08-02-2009, 01:57 PM
If they're new seats, somebody please tell me what they're doing with the old ones. I'd kill to buy a few.

flash
08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Look like new seats to me. If you note there are several stacks of what appear to be new seats stacked in front of the pull out beachers.

-jk
08-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Look like new seats to me. If you note there are several stacks of what appear to be new seats stacked in front of the pull out beachers.

I think you're seeing the cushy seats that are usually on the bleachers next to the pep band - typically reserved special guests.

I think they're painting the existing seats. The drop cloths seem to have blue paint on them, and some seats seem to have only part of a paint job.

Once upon a time (back in the late '70s or early '80s I think), Duke invited people in to help paint all the upstairs seats. We painted a big "D" out of the seats in each end zone, and a bunch of seats yellow. I'm still not sure why they chose yellow. Some people made it a point to paint their own seats.

-jk

Indoor66
08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I think you're seeing the cushy seats that are usually on the bleachers next to the pep band - typically reserved special guests.

I think they're painting the existing seats. The drop cloths seem to have blue paint on them, and some seats seem to have only part of a paint job.

Once upon a time (back in the late '70s or early '80s I think), Duke invited people in to help paint all the upstairs seats. We painted a big "D" out of the seats in each end zone, and a bunch of seats yellow. I'm still not sure why they chose yellow. Some people made it a point to paint their own seats.

-jk

I think that was in 77. My sons and I painted our seats, along with several more. The color was yellow. It was part of Bill Foster's promotions. They also had lightswitch covers with Duke Logos we put in the house. Foster was a big promoter.

-jk
08-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I think that was in 77. My sons and I painted our seats, along with several more. The color was yellow. It was part of Bill Foster's promotions. They also had lightswitch covers with Duke Logos we put in the house. Foster was a big promoter.

"Follow the Runnin' Dukes!" or some such, as I recall.

-jk

dukebsbll14
08-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Very cool. Can't wait to see what "new" Cameron looks like when its all finished!

When it comes to renovating Cameron, I have a strict hands-off policy. No box seats, no add-ons, but real blue seats are something I can certainly support:)

Hopefully I'll be seeing a lot of Cameron in the next few years. (Find out in mid-Dec(or spring) if I'm accepted!!!)

GopherBlue
08-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Are these new seats or are they the old seats painted blue?

Was there yesterday - fresh paint on same old seats. Looks like they are also refinishing the floor.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Was there yesterday - fresh paint on same old seats. Looks like they are also refinishing the floor.

Fine with me. I kinda like my old seats.

Newton_14
08-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I love the change! The more Blue the better!

I think it will turn out great. It was time for a change anyway. I always thought they should have been Blue to begin with.

Still the greatest place to watch a college basketball game in the world in my book. I am prejudiced of course but still it does not get much better than watching a game at CIS.

Let's hope Wally Wade can get upgraded soon as well. I long for the day we walk into WW and ol Cut has put the finished product of his vision on the stadium and on the field. Going to be awesome!

dukebsbll14
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/gallery/9143395_AvKkT#609824884_sN7SR

Here's a link to a few pictures of the changes to Cameron from blueplanetshots. Happy 70th Birthday Cameron!

monkey
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
eh ... what's the difference ... come game time you won't be able to see any of the blue anyway with the fans sitting in them

RelativeWays
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Let's hope Wally Wade can get upgraded soon as well. I long for the day we walk into WW and ol Cut has put the finished product of his vision on the stadium and on the field. Going to be awesome!

Speaking of which, I've always wondered why they don't have the classic Duke "D" with the football in in the center right in the middle of the field. That insignia is made to be in the middle of a football field.

Raleighfan
08-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway: has/will anything be done about moving the TV platform (where the commentators sit)? You think it's hot in CIS....it's even HOTTER and stuffier in the rows under/behind this platform. I don't think anyone should even think about boxes (absurd!) in CIS before doing something about the TV platform. I'm sure the TV people would also be appreciative.

Indoor66
08-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway: has/will anything be done about moving the TV platform (where the commentators sit)? You think it's hot in CIS....it's even HOTTER and stuffier in the rows under/behind this platform. I don't think anyone should even think about boxes (absurd!) in CIS before doing something about the TV platform. I'm sure the TV people would also be appreciative.

I don't think it should move. It is a point of discussion when games are broadcast from CIS. To move it would lose or ruin too many other seats. Let the prima donnas of TV sweat a little.

Duke of Nashville
08-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't think it should move. It is a point of discussion when games are broadcast from CIS. To move it would lose or ruin too many other seats. Let the prima donnas of TV sweat a little.

I thought it was funny when ESPN tried to pull off the switch with Dickie V and the NBA broadcasters. How obvious could they have made it that they were watching the game on a TV?

Raleighfan
08-07-2009, 12:00 PM

They, along with those of us with seats behind/under the platform, aren't sweating "a little"; they/we're sweating A LOT. There have been many times when I've spent an entire game fanning my face...not that it's cooler, but just to get some air flow. And to add insult to injury, the windows right behind us (which provided a little coolth from time to time) were bricked up during the last beautification of Cameron. Several seats on our row are used as guest seats and when I see somebody arrive wearing a heavy Duke sweatshirt, I know it's a person who's never sat in that area of CIS. Said sweatshirt is usually removed not long into the games. Here's another perk of our seat location: since the TV people have to have a ladder placed smack dab in the middle of the aisle so as to access the platform, just getting into/out of our row is pretty tricky.

Indoor66
08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
They, along with those of us with seats behind/under the platform, aren't sweating "a little"; they/we're sweating A LOT. There have been many times when I've spent an entire game fanning my face...not that it's cooler, but just to get some air flow. And to add insult to injury, the windows right behind us (which provided a little coolth from time to time) were bricked up during the last beautification of Cameron. Several seats on our row are used as guest seats and when I see somebody arrive wearing a heavy Duke sweatshirt, I know it's a person who's never sat in that area of CIS. Said sweatshirt is usually removed not long into the games. Here's another perk of our seat location: since the TV people have to have a ladder placed smack dab in the middle of the aisle so as to access the platform, just getting into/out of our row is pretty tricky.

I understand your concern and discomfort. Where would you propose locating the TV facilities and do you think that seats in other areas of Cameron - at the top - are cooler?

Raleighfan
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I understand your concern and discomfort. Where would you propose locating the TV facilities and do you think that seats in other areas of Cameron - at the top - are cooler?

I've never performed a scientific experiment using a thermometer, but I'd have to think that other seats up near the top MIGHT have a little more air circulation. Yes, I think the presence of that TV platform serves to block air flow around the upper rows in section 6. The presence of the (hot, bright) TV lights doesn't help either. Toward the end of games when (some) people start leaving, we'll often move to seats closer to the court and I can tell you that there's a noticeable difference in the air quality.

Where to relocate TV facilities? Since I'm not an engineer nor do I want to provoke an argument, I'm stumped on that one. Since there seem to be fewer sportswriters on press row (due to newspaper cutbacks), perhaps space could be found in that area? Just a thought. I'm sure there would be drawbacks to any location in CIS. I just wanted to point out that the present set-up is hardly ideal.

Turk
08-07-2009, 01:59 PM
RF, nothing personal, and points well taken, but you might want to consider a "half-full" approach here. You're at center court watching a Top Ten team playing in the best league and in the best gym in the country. I would consider (at least for a minute) trading one of my misbehaving young Turks for the chance to sweat inside Cameron. I hope you get the chance to move up to even better seats someday.

For me, one of my favorite parts (maybe even the ONLY part these days) of having Coach Vitale announce a Duke game in Cameron is hearing him complain about having to be up in the rafters: "HEY, I'M AN OLD GUY WITH ONLY ONE EYE, BAYBEE!! I CAN'T SEE FROM UP HERE!! C'MON, COACH K, YOU'VE GOT THREE RINGS; YOU'VE GOT A GOLD MEDAL, WHY CAN'T YOU GET ME COURTSIDE BAYBEE!?!"

That is my reassurance (however temporary) that a few things are still right with this world...

Raleighfan
08-07-2009, 04:37 PM
RF, nothing personal, and points well taken, but you might want to consider a "half-full" approach here. You're at center court watching a Top Ten team playing in the best league and in the best gym in the country. I would consider (at least for a minute) trading one of my misbehaving young Turks for the chance to sweat inside Cameron. I hope you get the chance to move up to even better seats someday.

For me, one of my favorite parts (maybe even the ONLY part these days) of having Coach Vitale announce a Duke game in Cameron is hearing him complain about having to be up in the rafters: "HEY, I'M AN OLD GUY WITH ONLY ONE EYE, BAYBEE!! I CAN'T SEE FROM UP HERE!! C'MON, COACH K, YOU'VE GOT THREE RINGS; YOU'VE GOT A GOLD MEDAL, WHY CAN'T YOU GET ME COURTSIDE BAYBEE!?!"

That is my reassurance (however temporary) that a few things are still right with this world...

Thanks for your comments, Turk. Sorry if I've come across as an ingrate, someone who takes the privilege of watching Duke play in CIS for granted. When I read some posts from people who'd love to see a game in CIS for the FIRST time, I do sometimes feel that I've become jaded. Although I'm not as old as Dickie V, I'm getting there fast and when you hit a certain age, little comforts (such as being able to breathe easily) become more important. Lack of agility gets to be an issue too---no way am I able to access my seat by bypassing the aisle and using the seats in front of me as steps. We've got great seats for the WBB games, no complaints there. My point is simply that before anyone starts entertaining any grandiose plans such as putting boxes in CIS, they would do well to first do something about the TV platform.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I was on campus today and stopped to take a look at Cameron. They haven't made much progress beyond the pictures that have been posted. Only the one end zone's seats have been painted, although there were men actively painting section 8 while I was there.

I also took a look at Wally Wade, and then spoke with Iron Duke director Eric Beaty. There are actual brick buildings at the open end behind the east and west stands. The new bathrooms on the east side will be open for the Richmond game. The new bathrooms on the west side are running a month behind and will open for business :D in October. The new concession stand on the west side will be open for the Richmond game. I took some pictures with my cell phone and if/when I get around to uploading them I'll post them.

Grey Devil
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
The new paint job makes the stadium look great!

But what surprised me was that in the close-up shots the seats look exactly like the ones I remember sitting in back in the late '60s. They can't be, can they? Have they not upgraded the seating since then?

Grey Devil

Devilsfan
08-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I love Cameron just the way it is! Best venue in sports.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
The new paint job makes the stadium look great!

But what surprised me was that in the close-up shots the seats look exactly like the ones I remember sitting in back in the late '60s. They can't be, can they? Have they not upgraded the seating since then?

Grey Devil

The seats upstairs are the very ones Eddie Cameron himself picked out for us to sit in. I'm glad for the color change and hope we see blue become the color of the seats in Wallace Wade as well.

Grey Devil
08-08-2009, 02:38 PM
The seats upstairs are the very ones Eddie Cameron himself picked out for us to sit in. I'm glad for the color change and hope we see blue become the color of the seats in Wallace Wade as well.

Then, I, for one, sincerely hope that the ingredients for the paint include a strong bonding agent to help hold them together! I know that I may have contributed my share of abuse to them when I was a student there --- like maybe a little standing ovation on the seats once in a while....!! (Don't know if they still do it, but one end of the stadium then also had student seating.)

Grey Devil

OZZIE4DUKE
08-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Then, I, for one, sincerely hope that the ingredients for the paint include a strong bonding agent to help hold them together! I know that I may have contributed my share of abuse to them when I was a student there --- like maybe a little standing ovation on the seats once in a while....!! (Don't know if they still do it, but one end of the stadium then also had student seating.)

Grey Devil
The seats are still sturdy. Eddie picked good wood when he chose the seats! :cool:

Of course, the seats are still sized for 1930s era people, not 21st century girth, so Cameron gets tighter and tighter every year! To change the seats would mean reducing seating capacity, and that's just acceptable - as many would get squeezed out instead of being squeezed in :eek::eek::D

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2009, 09:52 AM
The seats are still sturdy. Eddie picked good wood when he chose the seats! :cool:

Of course, the seats are still sized for 1930s era people, not 21st century girth, so Cameron gets tighter and tighter every year! To change the seats would mean reducing seating capacity, and that's just acceptable - as many would get squeezed out instead of being squeezed in :eek::eek::D
I've heard the story many times that when Eddie Cameron selected the seats he had a choice of 17" or 19" seats and chose the larger ones. The seat size was larger than was being installed in similar buildings of the era. Consider the seat size in William Neal Reynolds Coliseum... which, if I remember correctly, are a smaller size. The pitch of the levels (there's another term used to refer to spacing between stairs which might apply) in Cameron is also more generous than other similar buildings allowing more room leg without hanging over the people seated in front of one.

1Dukie
08-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Any new pictures of the blue seats in Cameron? :)