PDA

View Full Version : Brad Beal

Bsim412
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Brad Beal is a 2011 basketball prospect and seems to be getting a lot of interest from the Duke coaching staff. Brad grew up as a Duke fan and seems to be excited about being recruited from Duke. The link below from rivals shows that he might visit Duke soon. You must be a member to read this link. I know a lot of people get all worked up about this but I'm still going to give the locked link.

http://duke.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=969145&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

ACCBBallFan
07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Brad Beal is a 2011 basketball prospect and seems to be getting a lot of interest from the Duke coaching staff. Brad grew up as a Duke fan and seems to be excited about being recruited from Duke. The link below from rivals shows that he might visit Duke soon. You must be a member to read this link. I know a lot of people get all worked up about this but I'm still going to give the locked link.

http://duke.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=969145&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
He is a STL kid. So my brother who lives there says he is quite a stud basketball player for Chaminade. Brad had an older brother Brandon who also played for STL Eagles AAU team a couple years ago. He went football route at Northern Illinois if I recall.

I thought Brad Beal was confirmed for Elite camp. So visit may be after that on Aug 22-23.

I do not have access to the premium to read what it says other than the teaser.

I think there may already be a Beal thread.

FireOgilvie
07-29-2009, 04:11 PM
It sounds like he's really moving up the rankings this summer... that's good news. He's not a PG, which is what we really need; he's more of a SG or combo guard. In 2011 - 2012, we should have Curry (RS junior combo), Andre Dawkins (either junior or sophomore SG), Tyler Thornton (sophomore combo/PG), and hopefully another sophomore PG. That's a lot of 6'1" - 6'4" guys and we don't have anyone between 6'5" and 6'10" except a senior Olek Czyz (yet... hopefully). Given that, 3-4 guards plus Beal wouldn't be too many guys, so there would be room. If he's as good as his rankings, he would probably get some minutes his freshman year.

Beal Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-d0PJ4C7o

Kedsy
07-29-2009, 04:36 PM
It sounds like he's really moving up the rankings this summer... that's good news. He's not a PG, which is what we really need; he's more of a SG or combo guard. In 2011 - 2012, we should have Curry (RS junior combo), Andre Dawkins (either junior or sophomore SG), Tyler Thornton (sophomore combo/PG), and hopefully another sophomore PG. That's a lot of 6'1" - 6'4" guys and we don't have anyone between 6'5" and 6'10" except a senior Olek Czyz (yet... hopefully). Given that, 3-4 guards plus Beal wouldn't be too many guys, so there would be room. If he's as good as his rankings, he would probably get some minutes his freshman year.

Beal Highlights

What about Josh Hairston?

jimsumner
07-29-2009, 04:45 PM
"What about Josh Hairston? "

And Ryan Kelly?

A moot point, I suspect. You can knock me over with a feather if Duke doesn't add to its 6'5"-6'10" contingent in the next few months.

FireOgilvie
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
What about Josh Hairston?

Yeah, I realized after I posted that I forgot about him. He fits in between 6'5" and 6'10", but he's still more of a typical power forward. As far as I can tell, he's basically going to play the same position and has the same game as Lance Thomas. I was thinking more about the "3" position on offense. It would be nice to get a highly-touted tall SF/wing type player...

Ryan Kelly is listed at 6'10" and is definitely not capable of defending SF at this point.

Duke of Nashville
07-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Beal Highlights

I can think of one prospect we could get in 2010, fits into your category, gaurds the SF position, and .....I will shut up now

JasonEvans
07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Just so we are clear, Brad Beal is one of the top 5 or so players in the 2011 class. Worrying about where he fits on our roster is not all that much of a concern in my book. Kids like that find a way to fit ;)

--Jason "how does a class of Beal, Rivers, and McAdoo sound? Pipe dream but WOW!" Evans

COYS
07-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I realized after I posted that I forgot about him. He fits in between 6'5" and 6'10", but he's still more of a typical power forward. As far as I can tell, he's basically going to play the same position and has the same game as Lance Thomas. I was thinking more about the "3" position on offense. It would be nice to get a highly-touted tall SF/wing type player...

Ryan Kelly is listed at 6'10" and is definitely not capable of defending SF at this point.

I would say that most teams are more likely to have an interchangeable shooting guard/small forwards of similar size in th 6'4''-6'6'' range. I personally wouldn't mind trotting out a lineup with Curry, Dawkins, Thornton/Beal, Kelly, Plumlee assuming that all of these players develop as we expect they will.

But as Jim already said, I think it's far too early to worry about rosters for 2011 since we haven't accepted any commitments yet and we're not even close to finished with 2010.

SupaDave
07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Just so we are clear, Brad Beal is one of the top 5 or so players in the 2011 class. Worrying about where he fits on our roster is not all that much of a concern in my book. Kids like that find a way to fit ;)

--Jason "how does a class of Beal, Rivers, and McAdoo sound? Pipe dream but WOW!" Evans

Don't forget Quincy Miller...

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Recruit talk like this gets me so excited. Then a John Wall or a Greg Monroe happen.

FireOgilvie
07-29-2009, 05:40 PM
I would love to get Brad Beal. He sounds great and, like I said before, I'm sure he would fit in with the team. He looks like he has a very fluid game. I am familiar with his school (Chaminade in St. Louis)... it's a very good all-boys school.

kramerbr
07-29-2009, 05:47 PM

Well Harrison Barnes hasn't committed anywhere yet so I would wait for him to decide before I got too worried.

FireOgilvie
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Well Harrison Barnes hasn't committed anywhere yet so I would wait for him to decide before I got too worried.

Yes, that is who I was referring to.

FireOgilvie
07-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Brad Beal was a part of the USA Basketball U16 team that recently won gold in Argentina. He had a game-high 26 points in the championship final.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mu16_game_05

He also averaged 19.0 pts/game for the whole tournament to lead the US squad. Awesome.

chrisheery
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Why to people insist on saying that Tyler Thornton is a combo guard? What about his description or style of play indicates that? Every single thing I have read about him describes him as a quintessential point guard. Right down the the lack of willingness to shoot. He's 6'1". His main job on his high school and AAU team is to take care of the ball and get it to his scorers. How does that describe a combo guard.

Anyway, this kid sounds great. Its been said many times now, but our new recruiting strategy is very exciting. It seems like we are already major players with at least 10 of the top 30 or so players in 2011.

FireOgilvie
07-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Why to people insist on saying that Tyler Thornton is a combo guard? What about his description or style of play indicates that? Every single thing I have read about him describes him as a quintessential point guard. Right down the the lack of willingness to shoot. He's 6'1". His main job on his high school and AAU team is to take care of the ball and get it to his scorers. How does that describe a combo guard.

He plays off the ball on his AAU team. He isn't a true point guard in this way, but has a lot of the responsibilities of a PG. I use the term "combo guard" to refer to someone that plays or can play the equivalent of PG off the ball. It doesn't mean that he can't play on the ball, but if his AAU team doesn't use him on the ball, I don't know if Duke will. I envision him kind of like Sean Dockery.

The more I read about Beal, it seems like he's more of a true SG, but apparently he has some solid passing and ball-handling skills at this time.

hengr
08-02-2009, 12:52 PM

I think Josh may compare to Lance athletically and body wise. Neither are elite athletes of the Henderson variety but are good athletes playing above the rim. I think the comparison stops there. Lance was never a great scorer even on all -star teams. He has always seemed content to be a role player. Hopefully he will become more assertive for his grand finale senior year. I think Josh has a little bit or if we are lucky a lot a bit of Mark Alarie in him. He has wonderful midrange game. I like his quick -no frills- moves in the post. I like his ability to find seams in the lane and knock down the shot. He may not rate all the upside stuff to be a top 10 prospect but at the end of the day he gets it done.

airowe
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Good news on the Beal front:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/08/beal-confirms-that-duke-has-now-entered-the-race-to-stay/

In short, Brad Beal knows that Duke is very interested in him as evidenced by Coach K watching him play during the Peach Jam, calling him the following week. Beal and the Devils are in a getting to know one another process that will carry over. The St. Louis guard prospect grew up following JJ Redick and Duke, but many felt he was a huge Florida lean of late.

boxofmess2244
09-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Brad Beal is one of the top SG for 2011 and check it out he has Duke in his list of schools (in no specific order)<- Looking good for Duke :)

http://boxofmess.com/?p=3658

speedevil2001
09-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Brad Beal is one of the top SG for 2011 and check it out he has Duke in his list of schools (in no specific order)<- Looking good for Duke :)

im glad duke is the only acc school on that list. i think its gonna be a dog fight for him between the big 12 schools and duke.

Jim3k
09-03-2009, 04:22 AM

Dude, I know you're a newbie to the Board -- and welcome -- but one of the the protocols here is to avoid shouting -- Don't use the cap lock button and don't bold entire posts. You might want to peruse the rules in the sticky at the top of the EK page.

As for Beal, he may or may not be on the staff's radar. Aside from his BB skills, his grades and test scores (all still far off) need to meet Duke's standards. Then he has to make a connection with Coach K, where both can say they are mutually interested.

Right now Beal needs to concentrate on his schoolwork as well as his game. If he does so and does well, Coach K knows how to find him

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Take it easy on him ^

I read somewhere Brad Beal was a huge Duke Fan idk if it's true but if he can get his grades together then i would love to see him in a Duke Uniform

houstondukie
09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Dude, I know you're a newbie to the Board -- and welcome -- but one of the the protocols here is to avoid shouting -- Don't use the cap lock button and don't bold entire posts. You might want to peruse the rules in the sticky at the top of the EK page.

As for Beal, he may or may not be on the staff's radar. Aside from his BB skills, his grades and test scores (all still far off) need to meet Duke's standards. Then he has to make a connection with Coach K, where both can say they are mutually interested.

Right now Beal needs to concentrate on his schoolwork as well as his game. If he does so and does well, Coach K knows how to find him

Do you have link about his grades? For some reason, I thought he was an honor student.

airowe
09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Do you have link about his grades? For some reason, I thought he was an honor student.

He's definitely got good grades. This link from December says he has a 3.9

http://www.illinihq.com/news/mens_basketball/2008/12/05/offers_piling_up_for_bradley_beal

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Well then that's just great. I don't know what Jim was talking about but I stand corrected as well.

airowe
09-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Well then that's just great. I don't know what Jim was talking about but I stand corrected as well.

When Jim said his grades and test scores are all far off, he may have been referring to length of time rather than accumen in the classroom.

Regardless, we are getting in the game later with Beal than some other teams and certainly have some ground to make up. We certainly have the time, as he's just a rising junior. SG is going to be a crowded position for us that year even without Beal.

jesus_hurley
09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
When Jim said his grades and test scores are all far off, he may have been referring to length of time rather than accumen in the classroom.

Regardless, we are getting in the game later with Beal than some other teams and certainly have some ground to make up. We certainly have the time, as he's just a rising junior. SG is going to be a crowded position for us that year even without Beal.

He may only be a junior but in the interview linked in the first post he states he wants to make a decision before his basketball season starts:

When do you plan on commiting to a college? I am most likely planning on committing before the start of our basketball season this year. My list is going to start decreasing more and I just want to get this over with because its getting a little bit crazy. But on the other hand, I’m still in the process of just enjoying it as well.

But based on this quote, I would think we are high on his list (pending an offer of course):

What are you looking for in a college program? I am looking for a college that has a great academic system over anything because that is what’s most important to me. I also want a school that plays together as a team, encourages each other and a team that can get up and down the floor.

airowe
09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I've heard that before from recruits. The longer this plays out, the better it is for Duke.

Bud
09-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Beal was a Duke fan growing up Duke is on his list. I think Duke is waiting to see what happens with another top 10 guard in 2011 before they put the full court press on Beal.

gotham devil
09-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Respectfully, since you felt the need to go after the initial poster for a relatively petty issue, you might want to reread the rules.

"Needless Posting - For posts wholly without redeeming qualities that don't rise to a more serious infraction. Think before you post. Includes rampant stupidity."

1) Beal is on the Duke staff's radar. There is no "may or may not."
He's a consensus top-ten player,
-an honor student at a legitimate private school,
the leading scorer (as a sophomore) on a state-title winning team,
-the leading scorer on the gold medal-winning USA FIBA U-16 team this summer in Argentina,
-a previously professed Duke fan,
-was observed by the Duke staff at multiple events.

2) "Aside from his BB skills, his grades and test scores (all still far off) need to meet Duke's standards. "
He's an honor student, who has yet to take the SAT. The recruiting cycle has changed a great deal. If you think Duke can afford to wait until they receive his SAT/ACT scores before offering him, you would be mistaken. The game is a lot faster and coaches need to make assumptions on standardized scores, based upon a player's high school grades.

3)"Then he has to make a connection with Coach K, where both can say they are mutually interested."

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/07/duke-basketball-recruiting-brad-beal-has-recieved-the-call/

4)"Right now Beal needs to concentrate on his schoolwork as well as his game. If he does so and does well, Coach K knows how to find him"
Every player needs to concentrate on those two issues. Fortunately, the staff doesn't operate in the elitist attitude that exudes from the second sentence. If they did, it would be a long way back to the prior heights reached by Coach Krzyzewski.

jesus_hurley
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Needless posting, I know. But should this be merged with the original Beal thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16623)?

boxofmess2244
09-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Duke is looking good for Beal based off of things he has said in this interview

What are you looking for in a college program? I am looking for a college that has a great academic system over anything because that is what’s most important to me. I also want a school that plays together as a team, encourages each other and a team that can get up and down the floor.

That sounds like Duke right there. This kid knows what he's doing especially since he wants to go somewhere that has Great Academics than a good team.

sagegrouse
09-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Respectfully, since you felt the need to go after the initial poster for a relatively petty issue, you might want to reread the rules.

"Needless Posting - For posts wholly without redeeming qualities that don't rise to a more serious infraction. Think before you post. Includes rampant stupidity."

I have known j3k for 50 years, since we were freshmen on the same floor of House J. He has pointed out from time to time (w/o rancor) that I never seem to stand up for him. But I am turning over a new leaf: j3k did nothing wrong in his remark on the boldface post. I thought it was a kindly remark, and I am sorry you thought it inappropriate. Heck, he even said, "Welcome."

sagegrouse

Greg_Newton
09-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I have known j3k for 50 years, since we were freshmen on the same floor of House J. He has pointed out from time to time (w/o rancor) that I never seem to stand up for him. But I am turning over a new leaf: j3k did nothing wrong in his remark on the boldface post. I thought it was a kindly remark, and I am sorry you thought it inappropriate. Heck, he even said, "Welcome."

sagegrouse

I would like to second this. Not a big deal, but fair to point out.

I would also like to quote a friendly reminder below that I think describes general posting etiquitte very well... especially for us (relatively) new folks, it's important to remember than DBR is a little different that certain other boards in that most posters refrain from posting unless they have either a) a news update or b) something well-thought out and relevant to say that adds to the discussion. Hopefully this doesn't set off a big debate in Brad's thread, just something to keep in mind going forward.

As for Brad... it seems to me like there must be something going on that we don't know (hopefully extensive communication between him and K). I mean, he's a top-10 recruit, a great student, a Duke fan, his values embody everything that Duke stands for... there aren't too many kids that fit that description, that's like a godsend. It doesn't seem right that we're not pursuing him more actively just because we're praying that Austin Rivers pulls a 180 and re-commits to us... especially since it looks like Brad will be making a decision very soon. This one's a puzzler to me.

Look, Julio is trying to tell y'all that we've gotten away from a standard level of discourse on the board(s). Let's have a little history lesson for those of you who may be new, or who maybe have forgotten how the boards used to work.

Up until a couple of years ago, the DBR bulletin boards operated on a system in which a post required verification codes. You wrote your post, you submitted it, and after it was reviewed, you recieved an e-mail with two codes... one identified your post, and the other was a password that allowed you post to "go live". In the e-mail, there was a link which you clicked on that took you to a screen where you entered these two codes and then saw your post one more time. You could then review your post. If you changed anything, you'd go through the whole process again. If you didn't need to change anything, your post could then be accepted, by you, and go live.

What did this accompish? Well, for one, it was a great waste of time to post something like "Man, I totally agree." I mean, really, who wants to go through all those steps to post 4 words. Additionally, it usually gave you a chance to think about what you were posting. Often, I found myself revising or even deleting posts because they weren't really adding anything to a thread... and why talk just to hear yourself talk?

So, as a general guidline, might I reccomend going forward that posters think about thier posts in this sort of historical context. Ask yourself, "Is this post worth posting? Am I posting just to see my opinion in print? Would I have gone through the trouble of getting this post published on the old board system?"

No one is trying to be elitist or snobbish, but the fact is that the "signal to noise" ratio on the board right now is out of control. There are so many posts in threads that people quit reading longer threads and just skip to the end and post thier own thoughts... which 9 times out of 10 have already been covered... thus perpetuating the cycle. Yes, we understand everyone's need to vent after losses, and question what is going on, etc., but I think that the site owners would like it done in a constructive, intelligent, well-thought out manner.

We can all (and I am including myself) do better!

Jim3k
09-03-2009, 05:02 PM

1) Beal is on the Duke staff's radar. There is no "may or may not."
He's a consensus top-ten player,
-an honor student at a legitimate private school,
the leading scorer (as a sophomore) on a state-title winning team,
-the leading scorer on the gold medal-winning USA FIBA U-16 team this summer in Argentina,
-a previously professed Duke fan,
-was observed by the Duke staff at multiple events.

2) "Aside from his BB skills, his grades and test scores (all still far off) need to meet Duke's standards. "
He's an honor student, who has yet to take the SAT. The recruiting cycle has changed a great deal. If you think Duke can afford to wait until they receive his SAT/ACT scores before offering him, you would be mistaken. The game is a lot faster and coaches need to make assumptions on standardized scores, based upon a player's high school grades.

3)"Then he has to make a connection with Coach K, where both can say they are mutually interested."

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/07/duke-basketball-recruiting-brad-beal-has-recieved-the-call/

4)"Right now Beal needs to concentrate on his schoolwork as well as his game. If he does so and does well, Coach K knows how to find him"
Every player needs to concentrate on those two issues. Fortunately, the staff doesn't operate in the elitist attitude that exudes from the second sentence. If they did, it would be a long way back to the prior heights reached by Coach Krzyzewski.

Being an easy-going fellow, I am going to assume your weren't calling me stupid, even though you added an underscore to the quoted guideline. (Oh, you were? Well, you're forgiven.)

As for Beal, I suggest that no one here, you, the OP, or the linked sources really know what's going on. Beal is a rising HS junior, maybe not yet 16 years old. You sure you want to predict what he'll be and do as a senior? Committing to college in his junior year seems like a bad (and therefore unlikely) practice.

And yes, the poster who opined that my reference to Beal meeting the scholastic requirements had nothing to do with his current performance was correct. It was the obvious point that those things aren't considered, much less available, until early in the senior year. The earlier practice tests are helpful, but aren't definitive for admissions purposes. Time needs to pass before those things come into play.

As for whether Beal is on K's radar -- it's rare for Coach to offer to someone who has not completed his junior year, Markie and Tokoto notwithstanding. Or even Dawkins and Thornton (who did commit about this time of year).

And AFAIK, Beal has not visited the campus nor has K visited his home. Those are things which usually precede an offer. I don't think he even came to Duke's elite camp the other day (but I could be wrong, since that stuff is not published).

I'd suggest taking a step back and taking a few breaths. This is in the wait and see stage. Given Beal's high profile, you might well be right, but let's not get all breathless about him being the next -- whoever -- or even that he's as good as advertised.

I've been watching this stuff for a long time and know well that things often pan out differently than the know-it-all prognosticators believe. Obsessing over one 'savior' recruit is a waste of a good obsession. (See Wall, John. That thread turned out to be a big waste, didn't it?)

FireOgilvie
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Being an easy-going fellow, I am going to assume your weren't calling me stupid, even though you added an underscore to the quoted guideline. (Oh, you were? Well, you're forgiven.)

As for Beal, I suggest that no one here, you, the OP, or the linked sources really know what's going on. Beal is a rising HS junior, maybe not yet 16 years old. You sure you want to predict what he'll be and do as a senior? Committing to college in his junior year seems like a bad (and therefore unlikely) practice.

And yes, the poster who opined that my reference to Beal meeting the scholastic requirements had nothing to do with his current performance was correct. It was the obvious point that those things aren't considered, much less available, until early in the senior year. The earlier practice tests are helpful, but aren't definitive for admissions purposes. Time needs to pass before those things come into play.

As for whether Beal is on K's radar -- it's rare for Coach to offer to someone who has not completed his junior year, Markie and Tokoto notwithstanding. Or even Dawkins and Thornton (who did commit about this time of year).

And AFAIK, Beal has not visited the campus nor has K visited his home. Those are things which usually precede an offer. I don't think he even came to Duke's elite camp the other day (but I could be wrong, since that stuff is not published).

I'd suggest taking a step back and taking a few breaths. This is in the wait and see stage. Given Beal's high profile, you might well be right, but let's not get all breathless about him being the next -- whoever -- or even that he's as good as advertised.

I've been watching this stuff for a long time and know well that things often pan out differently than the know-it-all prognosticators believe. Obsessing over one 'savior' recruit is a waste of a good obsession. (See Wall, John. That thread turned out to be a big waste, didn't it?)

The fact that Beal said he's going to make his decision in the middle of his junior year means that if Duke is interested, they definitely need to act. Beal seems like the type of guy (like a Harrison Barnes or Tokoto) that you don't need to worry about when it comes to academics. There's also no question that he would be a major player at Duke. He's not only top 10 in his class, but he was the leading scorer on the US under-16 team this past summer.

As far as "obsessing," I don't think anyone is doing that at this point with Beal. It makes sense to me that people would like to have a top 10 recruit on the team, especially one that has shown interest in Duke and has expressed an interest in academics. With John Wall, I think everyone will see after this upcoming season that Wall was worth the hype about his game. I think he's going to be a star in college and the NBA.

roywhite
09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Not too early to be talking about recruiting Beal. He's the class of 2011, and remember, we have an offer out to Tokoto in the class of 2012.

The process has definitely gotten earlier and earlier; that may or may not be a good thing, but Duke is involved in it as well as many other schools.