PDA

View Full Version : Duke Baseball Scores Another Big Recruit

Duke1994
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Things are continuing to look up for Sean McNally's baseball program:

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090729/SPORTS02/907290372/1110/Mamaroneck-s-Rosenfeld-picks-Duke?GID=0

This kid batted cleanup on the #1 ranked team in the state of NY as a freshman and led NY state in RBIs as a sophomore.

dukebsbll14
07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
This program has taken tremendous strides forward since Mac joined. I look forward to seeing how far Duke Baseball can climb with him at the helm.

Also, I think its worth mentioning that Mark Buehrle is a product of Duke pitching coach Sean Snedeker (coached in White Sox organization). Apparently, after Buehrle threw his first no-hitter, Coach Sned was all excited and would come into practice saying, "Thats my guy!" Well, he's got to be pretty happy now.:)

We also can't forget recruiting coordinator Matthew Boggs. He's done a hell of a job; bringing in Duke's top two recruiting classes since being promoted in 2007.

studdlee10
07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Now let's just hope we can keep him out of the first 2 rounds of the MLB draft......

roywhite
07-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Now let's just hope we can keep him out of the first 2 rounds of the MLB draft......

Any updates on the recent high school graduates who committed to Duke baseball, but were chosen in the MLB Amateur Draft (3 individuals, if I recall)?

Have they signed with the pros or still planning to come to Duke?

studdlee10
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Any updates on the recent high school graduates who committed to Duke baseball, but were chosen in the MLB Amateur Draft (3 individuals, if I recall)?

Have they signed with the pros or still planning to come to Duke?

Duke upped their scholarship offer to Baron (drafted in the supplemental first round), which almost convinced him to go to school. He ended up signing with the Mariners for close to $1 mil.

Stroman was drafted by the Nationals late. My guess is he goes to school and tries to up his draft position....also, it gets him away from the disaster that is the Nats.

Coffey blew out his arm and needs TJ surgery, but was still drafted by the Orioles. He will be at Duke for sure.

toughbuff1
08-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Coffey signed with the O's after they gave him a 900k signing bonus.

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/joe-jordan-comments-on-the-sig.html

duke2x
08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Good news from the schedule front. Duke opens up the season in a weekend tournament with Georgia and Baylor in Waco.

ttp://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=204775077&?DB_OEM_ID=8800

4decadedukie
08-16-2009, 09:05 AM
This program has taken tremendous strides forward since Mac joined. I look forward to seeing how far Duke Baseball can climb with him at the helm . . . We also can't forget recruiting coordinator Matthew Boggs

I could not agree more! Anyone ever been to Omaha?

Jim3k
08-17-2009, 03:25 AM
I could not agree more! Anyone ever been to Omaha?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean to the CWS or just the city?

If it's CWS, Duke was there in 1952, 1953 and 1961. Each time they went, they won 1 and lost 2 and did not advance.

If you mean the city, I was there a month ago. Had a prime rib at Gorat's -- Warren Buffet's fave. (I don't know if he was there, as I wouldn't recognize him anyway.) But the prime rib was outstanding and not very expensive. :) A bit west of downtown, yet easy to find.

And the Qwest Center has all kinds of things happening. Still, much of the city rolls up its sidewalks early. And immigrants are coming -- my cabbie wants to open up a Moroccan restaurant. Chicago was too competitive for him. :p

Mrs. 3k and I are going back in mid-September -- bouncing into Iowa for a wedding. She wants to go to Gorat's, too. I think she's got her eye on Warren. ....And after all these years of marriage.... :D

4decadedukie
08-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean to the CWS or just the city?

Jim,

Thanks for the reply; I was only trying to suggest my ever-increasing belief that Duke is becoming potentially competitive for the CWS.

jimsumner
08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Might want to make the NCAA Tournament field before worrying too much about Omaha.

studdlee10
08-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Alex Hassan update:

After leaving Duke a year early for the Red Sox, Alex has been hot and was recently promoted from Short Season Lowell to A ball Greenville.

This is a tremendous move up the Red Sox ranks for a guy who was drafted in the lower rounds.

Congrats to Alex, and hope he keeps up the good work!