PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

houstondukie
07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheRecruitnik/entry/view/28820/One_of_nation%7Cs_top_PGs_for_2011_addresses_rumor s/28820

"I wanted to look at other schools, just to look at other campuses and see what they have," Austin Rivers told SN. "I haven't used any of my visits yet, and my father advised me to check out other schools. So out of respect for my father, I'm going to look at other schools."

Wasn't it a couple weeks ago where he stated the rumors were "full of crap"?

Gotta love recruiting.

BlueintheFace
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Soooo... does this mean he is reopening his recruitment as a heavy Florida lean?

houstondukie
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Soooo... does this mean he is reopening his recruitment as a heavy Florida lean?

How often does a recruit "open-up" his recruitment only to go back to the originally school? Not very often.

ACCBBallFan
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM
On ESPN-U yesterday Doc said his daughter is already at UF, on a volleyball scholarship if I recall.

Announcers kept saying how Austin ws trying to recruit Brandon Knight there.

So definitely mixed messages.

Doc was funny saying Austin needs to work on his defense. He went on to say he does not think any HS kid plays defense til they get to college.

Kind of smart for Austin and Doc to pay it the way the are, ought of respect for Doc....

Whatever the Doc orders

ACCBBallFan
07-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Perhaps the best thing would be for Austin and Doc to shell out the $100 and attend the elite camp, so it is clear who made the initial move and who accepted

Then package some time with coach K on either end of August 22-23, probably after would work best.

Seeing Rivers and Beal side by side would be the best gauge on who to go after first or if it is a toss-up, whoever commits first.

airowe
08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/08/austin-rivers-not-as-solid-to-florida/#more-1525

"I don’t know which other schools I will visit yet, but I think I will visit Duke and a couple of other places, depending on what my dad wants.”

Wonder if Dawkins could get him to visit while Irving or Barnes are here?

juise
08-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Wonder if Dawkins could get him to visit while Irving or Barnes are here?

When you mention "Dawkins" in a recruiting context, it's difficult for me not to assume you mean Johnny.

I hope Andre is around long enough to pull in some big ones for us too. :)

airowe
08-13-2009, 12:09 AM
When you mention "Dawkins" in a recruiting context, it's difficult for me not to assume you mean Johnny.

I hope Andre is around long enough to pull in some big ones for us too. :)

No, I definitely meant Andre Dawkins, super recruiter. I think the kid is true blue and hopefully his love for the program rubs off on Rivers, Barnes, Irving, and all the guys we already have.

verga
08-13-2009, 12:26 AM
on the few occasions i have seen Rivers play, i'd have to say he is a "special player". It would be a great "get" if he decided to come to Duke.

SilkyJ
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM

I did the same thing. Probably the 3rd time I've done it this week.

I wonder how seriously Austin is looking at these schools or whether he's doing it just to appease his dad. Everything I read seems like "well my dad wanted me to visit other schools" and "i'll visit wherever my dad wants." This could be interesting to follow...

SupaDave
08-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I did the same thing. Probably the 3rd time I've done it this week.

I wonder how seriously Austin is looking at these schools or whether he's doing it just to appease his dad. Everything I read seems like "well my dad wanted me to visit other schools" and "i'll visit wherever my dad wants." This could be interesting to follow...

This is all playing out rather interestingly, especially with all the recent decommits in Cousins, Henry, Leslie, and others.

Something tells me Doc's spidey-sense is feeling something special at Duke.

yancem
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
This is all playing out rather interestingly, especially with all the recent decommits in Cousins, Henry, Leslie, and others.

That and maybe Doc's spidey-sense is something smelly in Florida. They have missed the tourney the past 2 years and may miss it again this year. Unless Donavan steps it up in the recruiting department 2006 and 2007 may start looking like the perfect storm rather than great coaching. Much like Gary Williams failed to capitalize on his 2002 championship, Donavan is looking like he may blow his championship clout.

He still has some time. If Boynton sticks around for a few years and some top recruits (read Rivers) join him, Florida could return to the top. But its been a tough couple of seasons.

JasonEvans
08-13-2009, 11:55 PM

Well, Austin's dad is not like most other dads when it comes to knowing a bit about what to do to make the most out of your basketball career.

Parental advice is a strong motivator anyway, but Doc carries extra clout in this department. Lets also not forget that many of these kids are not old enough to sign the LOI without the approval of mom and dad.

Still, my bet is that Austin and his father recognize the value in looking around and keeping their options open.

--Jason "as for Donovan, Cal's arrival at Kentucky is only gonna make it that much harder for him to look good in the SEC" Evans

BoozerWasFouled
08-14-2009, 12:33 AM

I was under the impression that these kinds of speculative statements about the intentions of legal minors were against the rules on this message board.

Jim3k
08-14-2009, 01:41 AM
I was under the impression that these kinds of speculative statements about the intentions of legal minors were against the rules on this message board.

Rumor mongering is against the rules. Supa's view of Doc's spidey-sense is only expressing a feeling, which is not. Besides, he's a mod, and can be trusted not to violate the rules. ;)

If he had said, "I've heard that XXX player has decommitted from YYY University," that would be a rumor, unless there is a news article confirming it, which must be linked in support.

gotham devil
08-14-2009, 02:54 AM
That and maybe Doc's spidey-sense is something smelly in Florida. They have missed the tourney the past 2 years and may miss it again this year. Unless Donavan steps it up in the recruiting department 2006 and 2007 may start looking like the perfect storm rather than great coaching. Much like Gary Williams failed to capitalize on his 2002 championship, Donavan is looking like he may blow his championship clout.

He still has some time. If Boynton sticks around for a few years and some top recruits (read Rivers) join him, Florida could return to the top. But its been a tough couple of seasons.
I'm not sure you have to be a great coach to get to the Final Four. Probably you have to be a good one who catches a few key breaks -- during the tournament, during the season, during a career.
-Mike Krzyzewski, Last Dance

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5259143

Respectfully, it's Donovan and that's a very narrow view of Florida.
He just landed two players, Kenny Boynton and Erik Murphy, that Duke coveted in the 2009 class. The 44 year old also took a third team to the title game in 2000, the year before Coach K led Duke to a title game. He's nowhere near as lazy as Gary Williams in recruiting. I don't think you have to worry about his job security.

SupaDave
08-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Well, Austin's dad is not like most other dads when it comes to knowing a bit about what to do to make the most out of your basketball career.

Parental advice is a strong motivator anyway, but Doc carries extra clout in this department.

Exactly and I'd also like to point out to you guys that this isn't unprecedented in the Rivers OWN household....

http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/05/10/washington-times-jeremiah-rivers-to-indiana/

yancem
08-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Exactly and I'd also like to point out to you guys that this isn't unprecedented in the Rivers OWN household....

http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/05/10/washington-times-jeremiah-rivers-to-indiana/

I didn't know about Austin's brother so I tried to look him up. I find it interesting that he wasn't ranked by either Scout or Rivals.

Carlos
08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Jeremiah Rivers was ranked by Scout. Check the HS Class of 2006.

jesus_hurley
08-14-2009, 11:44 AM

The first thing I thought of (and delete this if I am going to far...) was that Doc Rivers wanted Austin to spend his freshman year practicing with players like Curry, Barnes, Irving (or Knight) so IF any of the 2010 class were just 2 year prospects he could step right in and be ready to run the team. Pure speculation - but that's what makes the non basketball season months go by faster...

BD80
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Well, Austin's dad is not like most other dads when it comes to knowing a bit about what to do to make the most out of your basketball career. ...

Still, my bet is that Austin and his father recognize the value in looking around and keeping their options open.

--Jason "as for Donovan, Cal's arrival at Kentucky is only gonna make it that much harder for him to look good in the SEC" Evans

Wonder if he talks to some other guys he may have run into while he was employed, guys that may have some advice to give, say maybe Bob Ferry, Doug Collins, Mike Dunleavy, Gerald Henderson, Dell Curry.

sagegrouse
08-14-2009, 02:36 PM
The first thing I thought of (and delete this if I am going to far...) was that Doc Rivers wanted Austin to spend his freshman year practicing with players like Curry, Barnes, Irving (or Knight) so IF any of the 2010 class were just 2 year prospects he could step right in and be ready to run the team. Pure speculation - but that's what makes the non basketball season months go by faster...

Doc Rivers has been a class act as an NBA player and coach. My guess is that Doc would be more inclined to recommend Duke to his son based on his knowledge of such K graduates as JD, Tommy Amaker, Danny Ferry, Billy King, Grant Hill, and Elton Brand, who are also class acts.

If Austin plays at Duke or several other places, he will will certainly have good players around him.

sagegrouse

clg003
09-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Lets see Doc is a coach and Im sure from his perspective its serving him well after his basketball life. If you could sign you kid up to mentor under any other coach who would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also if you wanted to make sure your kid was in good hands and was taught more than just the game but also how to become a leader what basektball coach would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also Rivers just mentioned that he is waiting to see who commits where and that will weigh in on his decision heavily. To me that shounds like he is waiting on Irving but could also mean Barnes.

Greg_Newton
09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Lets see Doc is a coach and Im sure from his perspective its serving him well after his basketball life. If you could sign you kid up to mentor under any other coach who would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also if you wanted to make sure your kid was in good hands and was taught more than just the game but also how to become a leader what basektball coach would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also Rivers just mentioned that he is waiting to see who commits where and that will weigh in on his decision heavily. To me that shounds like he is waiting on Irving but could also mean Barnes.

Yeah but what if you just want to make sure your kid gets a good tan and has the same degree as his sister? Ummm, UF? Bingo!

smklin
09-23-2009, 05:18 PM

And what if you wanted your son to be surrounded by some of the brightest, most forward-thinking young people in the world, where would you choose? Ummm Duke? Bingo.

LetItBD08
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I didn't know about Austin's brother so I tried to look him up.

True, Jeremiah did not play all that much for Georgetown, but he did have a good game and scored a career high against us in Cameron in December 2006.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20061202

I hope that will be the first of many Rivers family career games in Cameron.

-jk
09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
C'mon. Anyone with a reasonable shot at an NBA contract would do fine from either Duke or that other school.

Let it go. Regardless of which "other school" is involved.

-jk

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Not true some kid's end up at the wrong place and end up not being drafted at all.

texas
09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
his sister had a scholarship to stanford and turned it down to play ball at UF. doc was a little surprised by that move. maybe he's hoping for austin to go to a better academic school like duke. i'm trying to get a little scoop on the matter since my parents live in winter park. also, doc is a super nice guy and a class act, as mentioned above. i'd love for austin to end up at duke.

Double DD
09-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I've been looking at former Rivals writer Justin Young's twitter after he talked about Irving committing, and he has something good to say about Rivers as well.

http://twitter.com/JustinDYoung
@VarandK i think Rivers was going to Duke regardless of Irving's impending decision but nevertheless, throw in Seth Curry and that's scary

lilblue
09-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Duke recruiting is in full swing. Let's hope it goes well!

Info from the Devils Den

airowe
09-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Subscription article for above info:

http://duke.scout.com/2/903896.html

Rivers asked to be recruited by Duke, and now he is. :)

SlimSlowSlider
10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Article in Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/10/02/this_one_a_chip_off_the_old_doc/

Doc says:

“I just thought he should look [at other schools], just to make sure,’’ Rivers says. “But that’s where he wants to go. He’s going to Florida. There’s no doubt about that. He’s committed there. He’s a Florida kid.’’

We'll see...

airowe
10-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Those are old quotes from BEFORE he went to Duke. They are actually from over a month ago:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/25/austin-rivers-the-best-guard-in-the-country/

“He’s going to Florida, there’s no doubt about that. He’s committed there, he’s a Florida kid.

“I just thought he should look [at other schools] just to make sure that’s where he wants to go, but that’s where he wants to go.”

roywhite
10-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Article in Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/10/02/this_one_a_chip_off_the_old_doc/

Doc says:

“I just thought he should look [at other schools], just to make sure,’’ Rivers says. “But that’s where he wants to go. He’s going to Florida. There’s no doubt about that. He’s committed there. He’s a Florida kid.’’

We'll see...

Not sure what to make of the situation. Bob Ryan repeatedly refers to Austin as a senior, though he's a junior. Did Bob use some earlier quotes and mail in a sloppy article?

Reports are that Coach K was down in Florida to observe a workout by Austin, and that Austin himself has given the okay to Duke actively recruiting him, after an "awesome" campus visit.

Is Austin in play? If not, maybe Brad Beal becomes a stronger possibility for the Class of 2011?

GopherBlue
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Article in Boston Globe.

Doc says:

We'll see...

This quote from Doc Rivers pre-dates Austin's visit to Duke:
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/18/selby-adds-in-homes-indiana-in-the-mix-rivers-visiting-duke/

The article also indicates (twice) that Austin is a top "high school senior" guard.

Kinda sloppy, Mr. Ryan.

bluebear
10-02-2009, 10:11 AM
This quote from Doc Rivers pre-dates Austin's visit to Duke:
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/18/selby-adds-in-homes-indiana-in-the-mix-rivers-visiting-duke/

The article also indicates (twice) that Austin is a top "high school senior" guard.

Kinda sloppy, Mr. Ryan.

I like Bob Ryan, but Boston is a pro sports town and the media reflect that...

jv001
10-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Just maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Austin in the same situation as Andre in that he can graduate hs early? I thought that was the case but he said he was not going to do that. However he did open up his recruitment and that shows he can change his mind. Go Duke!

chrisheery
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Also, Bob Ryan, that is just piss-poor. Is there no editor for that paper? I mean come on. He could have forwarded that article to this bulletin board and had better revisions returned to him. Too busy filling in on PTI this week. Maybe Tony Reali will sort him out in stat boy section.

roywhite
10-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Also, Bob Ryan, that is just piss-poor. Is there no editor for that paper? I mean come on. He could have forwarded that article to this bulletin board and had better revisions returned to him. Too busy filling in on PTI this week. Maybe Tony Reali will sort him out in stat boy section.

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/this_just_in/documents/02877198.htm

Some of Bob's previous lapses indicate he does need some supervision or followup.

We can conclude there was no particular news in this article, other than Austin Rivers is an excellent backcourt prospect, but we suspected as much. :)

BD80
10-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Not necessarily news, but Seth has some credibility, despite trying to avoid being called a Duke homer:

No. Rivers is recruiting them and Coach K and Billy D have spoken about it. RT @David4242: Is it unethical for Duke to steal FLA's Rivers?

btw all the stories about Duke's recruiting renaissance neglect to mention Austin Rivers, who I predict will also be a Blue Devil.

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops

Can you say momentum?

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Any new information with how the commitment of KI will affect Austin and his recruitment.

DukeSean
10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Any new information with how the commitment of KI will affect Austin and his recruitment.

Nothing but conjecture....

AlaskanAssassin
10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
update on rivers: http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/mail-day-with-jj-rivers-smith-teague-and-more/#more-1791

rotogod00
10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
update on rivers: http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/mail-day-with-jj-rivers-smith-teague-and-more/#more-1791

irving, barnes, and rivers would certainly be a nice trifecta

ACCBBallFan
10-31-2009, 07:04 PM
update on rivers: http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/mail-day-with-jj-rivers-smith-teague-and-more/#more-1791With Rivers wanting to wait until after his HS season and Beal wanting to decide before, things could get interesting unless Beal decides to wait too.

If I am Beal and Duke really is my dream school, I commit before the HS Season rather than wait on Austin Rivers.

Duke should accept such a commit, since there is very little difference between #1 SG and # 2 SG.

Then unless someone leaves early, tere are only 2 scholarships left across Rivers, Plumlee 3 and Quincy Miller, assuming one and only one of Barnes and Roscoe Smith end up at Duke.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Recruiting talk like this makes my fingers tingle.

chrisheery
10-31-2009, 07:56 PM
With Rivers wanting to wait until after his HS season and Beal wanting to decide before, things could get interesting unless Beal decides to wait too.

If I am Beal and Duke really is my dream school, I commit before the HS Season rather than wait on Austin Rivers.

Duke should accept such a commit, since there is very little difference between #1 SG and # 2 SG.

Then unless someone leaves early, tere are only 2 scholarships left across Rivers, Plumlee 3 and Quincy Miller, assuming one and only one of Barnes and Roscoe Smith end up at Duke.

I love the sound of Beal and Rivers together, especially if there is a chance we lose KI (or HB if we get him) after 1 year.

Miller sounds like a super stud. Marshall seems like he has great potential and works to get to a high level.

I agree. Talk like this, where we are potentially so flush that we have to choose between top 15 players, is really a nice turn around. Hope it plays out this well.

duketaylor
11-01-2009, 02:16 AM
You guys and gals need to be patient and let things play out. There are many good things in the works I believe. We may know one answer Nov 12th, another may take a while, just focus on this year's team;)

Memphis Devil
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
You guys and gals need to be patient and let things play out. There are many good things in the works I believe. We may know one answer Nov 12th, another may take a while, just focus on this year's team;)

Why must every recruiting thread inevitably have someone post "just focus on this year's team"? I haven't seen anyone post: "To hell with this year's team. I can't wait for recruit X to declare." :confused:

ice-9
11-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Why must every recruiting thread inevitably have someone post "just focus on this year's team"? I haven't seen anyone post: "To hell with this year's team. I can't wait for recruit X to declare." :confused:

Because that's insane?

For most of us, we're at DBR because we enjoy supporting Duke basketball. I.e. the sport of basketball, not the sport of recruiting.

Forget about the anxiety of recruiting, the payoff -- getting to watch our recruits actually play Duke basketball -- is in the here and now. If you focus too much on the former, you'll miss the latter and the latter is the point of the whole thing!

G man
11-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Because that's insane?

For most of us, we're at DBR because we enjoy supporting Duke basketball. I.e. the sport of basketball, not the sport of recruiting.

Forget about the anxiety of recruiting, the payoff -- getting to watch our recruits actually play Duke basketball -- is in the here and now. If you focus too much on the former, you'll miss the latter and the latter is the point of the whole thing!

Let me put this into perspective for you. The reason we are so into recruiting right now is the fact that we are not playing any games. We all love Duke Basketball so much that this is all we have to cheer for right now. In a couple of weeks we will get to watch the games and then we will talk about those. I doubt anyone on this site would rather talk recruiting than watch the games. This is all we have for right now! So let everyone have their fun with recruiting!

Memphis Devil
11-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Let me put this into perspective for you. The reason we are so into recruiting right now is the fact that we are not playing any games. We all love Duke Basketball so much that this is all we have to cheer for right now. In a couple of weeks we will get to watch the games and then we will talk about those. I doubt anyone on this site would rather talk recruiting than watch the games. This is all we have for right now! So let everyone have their fun with recruiting!

My point exactly.

Well, more like your point, but that's what I was infering.

statik73
11-01-2009, 08:11 PM
recruitment is part of the game.

CEF1959
11-01-2009, 09:40 PM
recruitment is part of the game.

A huge part. It's like the draft for pro teams. Fans get nutty talking draft strategy. Why? Because it's fun and interesting. And to many of us, recruiting is a really interesting part of college basketball. We find it fun to discuss whether in season or out of season, but particularly out. It's the past (how did we get here?) and the future (how do things look for next year?) of the team. Just look at the number of recruiting threads, and you can see that the people find it interesting and think it's important.

OTOH, people who don't find the recruiting aspect of basketball at all interesting or important don't have to read or post in recruiting threads. They can just wait for kids magically to show up on the court and talk exclusively about the games.

ice-9
11-01-2009, 09:56 PM

I don't disagree with the above - after all i do follow all the recruiting threads. However I was responding to this quote:

I haven't seen anyone post: "To hell with this year's team. I can't wait for recruit X to declare."

CEF1959
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
So everyone agrees that both recruiting and games are worthy of discussion?

Good. Glad we got that settled.

BD80
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Winter Park junior basketball star Austin Rivers elaborated on his recruitment at the Sentinel's Varsity Basketball Media Day, saying he remains orally committed to Florida but Duke has pulled up right alongside of the Gators

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/orl-recruiting-austin-rivers-florida-duke-110309,0,3030685.story

This part is just funny:

"I'm not feeling Kentucky," Rivers said. "I have a really good feeling right now about Florida and Duke, but I just don't want to go to Kentucky. Nothing against them. Great program, great coach. It's just not for me."

CEF1959
11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
This part is just funny:

"I'm not feeling Kentucky," Rivers said. "I have a really good feeling right now about Florida and Duke, but I just don't want to go to Kentucky. Nothing against them. Great program, great coach. It's just not for me."

Meaning, "I don't like the program or the coach."

Azdukefan
11-03-2009, 05:06 PM

This also means, "I enjoy class and prestige, I'm heading to Duke!" Open arms Austin, Open Arms!

roywhite
11-03-2009, 05:18 PM

In related news, Doc and Kris Rivers smiled, realizing they had done some good things in rearing their children.

By the way, here's a good article (though 3 years old) about the importance of family and the close ties of the Rivers family.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/10/01/family_doc/

CEF1959
11-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Here's an "update" with absolutely no information more recent than a month ago. I wouldn't have seen it, except it was touted on the DBR home page as an "update."

http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclassic/index.ssf/2009/11/2010_hoophall_classic_players.html

I guess in the blogosphere, you get paid to do these things. Nice gig.

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I love how bitter this guy is...

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I can see it now, if and hopefully when Duke gets River's our hate would only just increase A WHOLE LOT.

Ohiobobcat204
11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Man that would put a smile on my face! :D

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-06-2009, 07:45 AM
This article sounds great i just wonder why he doesn't ask sheldon.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Doc_Elton_And_Duke.html

lifelongdevil
11-06-2009, 09:27 AM
SOunds great, but can't help think about that letter someone posted, written by Elton to an angry fan after he went pro. hopefully the pejorative nature of that letter wasn't what he conveyed to Doc.

CLT Devil
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
SOunds great, but can't help think about that letter someone posted, written by Elton to an angry fan after he went pro. hopefully the pejorative nature of that letter wasn't what he conveyed to Doc.

That was the first thing I thought when I read that tidbit. K gave him his blessing as far as leaving early, but not as far as with the fans (more like one idiot fan) not wanting him to leave (obviously), and a letter some ninny wrote to him really put Elton off on some fans. Anyone with half a brain knows that not all fans are like that, I just hope doesn't/hasn't turned into a perception of our fans. FTR, Brand was my favorite while I was at Duke...at least until J-Will and Battier took over in my later years there.

Does anyone here know: has Elton been back to play in Alumni games, participated in Duke Bball Camps, etc? I'm pretty sure he has, and doesn't seem like any hard feelings...but one has to wonder what was said. I feel like he's the only player that anything like this ever happened to, and it only took one jerk to create the impression.

Anyway, it's Friday, my day off, plenty of time to worry. Overall the fact that they were seen speaking and the conversation was about Duke is great news...lets just hope Elton gives a ringing endorsement. I don't blame Doc for checking all aspects of a program...obviously Sheldon would have nothing but the best to say...other than "He can go to Duke but he can't wear #23.

Big week ahead for Duke athletics.

Kedsy
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
This article sounds great i just wonder why he doesn't ask sheldon.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Doc_Elton_And_Duke.html

I'm sure he has. When you're doing research you generally go to more than one source.

And regarding Elton Brand, I can't imagine one letter by a crazy fan would set him against his school. Didn't he just do a sort-of-commercial which is essentially him saying, "Go Duke"?

msdukie
11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
He should probably talk to SheldEn too.

airowe
11-06-2009, 11:04 AM
He should probably talk to SheldEn too.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53923&postcount=4

The following guys played for Duke:
Shelden Williams

The following guys never played for Duke:
Jayson Williams (he did, however, kill his limo driver)
Sheldon Williams

roywhite
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm sure he has. When you're doing research you generally go to more than one source.

And regarding Elton Brand, I can't imagine one letter by a crazy fan would set him against his school. Didn't he just do a sort-of-commercial which is essentially him saying, "Go Duke"?

Yeah, I think Elton would supply very positive feedback about Duke and Coach K. And how well prepared Elton was for the NBA and life in general.

Elton, despite some tough injuries, has played well and I believe achieved the maximum allowable contract value when he has signed...he has made a ton of money.

gumbomoop
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Passing through Fla this morn, read following tidbit in O'do Sentinel from AR: "I still love Florida so much.... But it doesn't help recruiting for the Gators at all when people take the words out of my mouth and put it out there that I'm undecided.... Duke wanted to recruit me, but they wanted to do it the right way out of respect for Florida. It's two unbelievable programs and I feel fortunate that they both want me."

Lesson here, I guess, is: AR is great kid, first, great player, second, is having a tough time choosing between 2 programs and coaches he likes a lot, and doesn't appreciate fans who get too pushy. Such fans are unlikely to sway AR to their school, and might just sway him the other way.

UrinalCake
11-06-2009, 12:42 PM
When players are discussing the merits of a program and comparing them against others, I don't think their criteria includes "Did the fans like you after you left?" The quality of the fans in general might be one small aspect, like 99th on a list of 100 things to consider, but I assume they were talking about more important things (to them) like Elton's relationship with Coach K, how his game developed, etc.

A side note of Elton's career at Duke is that after he broke his foot during his freshman year, he underwent an experimental procedure being developed at the Duke hospital, which allowed him to return that season. It was originally thought that he'd be out for the year. So if he had played for any other school in the country, we would never have recovered that year. Just another plus for playing for the good guys...

CEF1959
11-06-2009, 02:05 PM
At the risk of offending the sensibilities of our colleagues in the UK by seeming "bitter," I have to say that this sort of report seems like a bit of tea-leaf reading of marginal utility. Doc Rivers talked to Elton Brand about Duke. OK....

BattierD12
11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
"Coach K's a great coach, a great teacher, and a great person. I trust him. I trust him like no other. He knows the game. I haven't doubted him one time. He's always 100% right on what he says. He's been a mentor to me. He tells me what's going to happen before it ever happens. He's been the best, and I don't think I would have gotten that anywhere besides Duke. Duke was the greatest experience of my life." - Elton Brand

http://content.yudu.com/A1i57h/14.2/resources/23.htm

Needless to say, I doubt that one disgruntled fan changed his views of Duke. As long as he said a quarter of that to Doc, I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Also in the link:

"Coach K, I just wanted to say congratulations on your 30-year anniversary. I am sure there are so many, so many great moments that you can think of that you have had. What comes to mind to me is that Duke University has set a standard for everyone else, from every other college. The way you play the game, the way your team smack the floor on defense, we all tried to do the same thing. Congratulations to you - I can't think of no one else more deserving of being in this game for as long as you have and still respected as you are. So, congratulations and see you soon." - Dwyane Wade

soccerstud2210
11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
"Coach K's a great coach, a great teacher, and a great person. I trust him. I trust him like no other. He knows the game. I haven't doubted him one time. He's always 100% right on what he says. He's been a mentor to me. He tells me what's going to happen before it ever happens. He's been the best, and I don't think I would have gotten that anywhere besides Duke. Duke was the greatest experience of my life." - Elton Brand

http://content.yudu.com/A1i57h/14.2/resources/23.htm

Needless to say, I doubt that one disgruntled fan changed his views of Duke. As long as he said a quarter of that to Doc, I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Also in the link:

"Coach K, I just wanted to say congratulations on your 30-year anniversary. I am sure there are so many, so many great moments that you can think of that you have had. What comes to mind to me is that Duke University has set a standard for everyone else, from every other college. The way you play the game, the way your team smack the floor on defense, we all tried to do the same thing. Congratulations to you - I can't think of no one else more deserving of being in this game for as long as you have and still respected as you are. So, congratulations and see you soon." - Dwyane Wade

can we get harrison and austin to see this???? :)

loran16
11-06-2009, 04:50 PM
At the risk of offending the sensibilities of our colleagues in the UK by seeming "bitter," I have to say that this sort of report seems like a bit of tea-leaf reading of marginal utility. Doc Rivers talked to Elton Brand about Duke. OK....

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it indicates that Rivers is leaning toward Duke or even toward officially rescinding his commitment to Florida.

That said, it does indicate that Rivers is still contemplating such a move, which is positive.

CEF1959
11-06-2009, 04:54 PM
can we get harrison and austin to see this???? :)

I don't think they are in need of information from Duke boosters, and I guarantee that the Duke staff doesn't want anyone here to forward stuff to them.

airowe
11-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't think they are in need of information from Duke boosters, and I guarantee that the Duke staff doesn't want anyone here to forward stuff to them.

Why do you have to jump down everyone's throats? He was just making a passing comment.

I'm sure Harrison and Austin have been shown this by the staff, and they no doubt know how much respect almost all of K's former players have for him.

CEF1959
11-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Why do you have to jump down everyone's throats? He was just making a passing comment.

I'm sure Harrison and Austin have been shown this by the staff, and they no doubt know how much respect almost all of K's former players have for him.

Easy, tiger. I'm just sensitive to secondary NCAA violations. Harrison is in a "no contact" period right now, and contact with Austin by Duke boosters is restricted by NCAA rules. I'm all for enthusiasm, but not if it hurts the team.

Peace.

airowe
11-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Easy, tiger. I'm just sensitive to secondary NCAA violations. Harrison is in a "no contact" period right now, and contact with Austin by Duke boosters is restricted by NCAA rules. I'm all for enthusiasm, but not if it hurts the team.

Peace.

I am too. Big time. But, I'm pretty sure soccerstud2210 was just making a passing comment. I don't think he actually meant for someone to "send" them to them.

rthomas
11-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Doc was probably asking Brand whether Doc should make the Celtics tank the next 75 games so that the Celtics could draft the next L. Bird who happens go by the name Singler and plays at Duke.

NSDukeFan
11-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Doc was probably asking Brand whether Doc should make the Celtics tank the next 75 games so that the Celtics could draft the next L. Bird who happens go by the name Singler and plays at Duke.

That won't be necessary until next year?:)

JaMarcus Russell
11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Easy, tiger. I'm just sensitive to secondary NCAA violations.

The next time a secondary violation has any impact on a college team will be the first time.

soccerstud2210
11-06-2009, 09:54 PM

sheesh dude, i was being sarcastic... notice the smiley face??? maybe i should have put more haha :) :) :) :)

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-06-2009, 10:04 PM
sheesh dude, i was being sarcastic... notice the smiley face??? maybe i should have put more haha :) :) :) :)

HAHAHA yea sometimes people take things wayyyy toooo literal on here. But to keep it all AR, i wonder what would happen if and hopefully when HB commits. He did say it depends on where people go, so with KI and HB does that automatically mean we get AR?

dukebluelemur
11-06-2009, 10:18 PM
The next time a secondary violation has any impact on a college team will be the first time.

Although it worked out in the end, I seem to recall a certain light blue team down the road lost a really humiliating early season game because a certain point guard had to sit out because of a 'secondary violation.'

Something that -just might- happen to us this year for the same reason...

Just saying...

El_Diablo
11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Although it worked out in the end, I seem to recall a certain light blue team down the road lost a really humiliating early season game because a certain point guard had to sit out because of a 'secondary violation.'

Something that -just might- happen to us this year for the same reason...

Just saying...

Neither one of those was a recruiting violation.

SilkyJ
11-07-2009, 12:53 AM

Throaty's handbook is missing this but sarcasm doesn't always come through on boards. There are lots of intellectually challenged people on message boards who say silly things and so things are often interpreted literally even if seemingly abnormal.

HAHAHA yea sometimes people take things wayyyy toooo literal on here.

No, we take things "literally," and we also try to write well. This is a board for sophisticated discussion, so people usually say what they mean given the medium. You have to take things literally unless otherwise indicated.

Bluedevil114
11-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Throaty's handbook is missing this but sarcasm doesn't always come through on boards. There are lots of intellectually challenged people on message boards who say silly things and so things are often interpreted literally even if seemingly abnormal.

No, we take things "literally," and we also try to write well. This is a board for sophisticated discussion, so people usually say what they mean given the medium. You have to take things literally unless otherwise indicated.

Sophisticated discussion that is also allowed to have opinions and hopes.

airowe
11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Doc's making the rounds. Pagluca, Elton Brand, and now Grant Hill:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1210261

Rivers’ son, Austin, a talented senior from Winter Park, Fla., is reconsidering an early commitment he made to play basketball at the University of Florida, and is now being recruited by an especially high level of Duke alumnus.

And we’re not just talking about Celtics managing partner Pagliuca.

Sixers forward Elton Brand spent a significant amount of time talking to the young Rivers after the Celtics’ win against Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Hill admitted last night he has been working on Austin’s case for a while now.

Kedsy
11-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Doc's making the rounds:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1210261

Well, here's a question, and I'm not trying to raise a ruckus, but what's the difference between Grant Hill and Elton Brand talking to young Rivers and Joe Booster doing the same?

Kewlswim
11-08-2009, 01:53 PM
...and just admit you want to attend Duke and sign on the dotted line.

Given what I have read on here, I think I need to add...this is a humorous post and am sorry if it results in a secondary violation or he believes I am offering anything, well maybe some Cameron pop-corn after the game (is that a violation? Maybe it should be, it was sort of salty last time I had some. What if he gets an old maid in the pop-corn and it cracks his tooth and needs dental work...oy vey...maybe I better keep the pop-corn to myself.)

GO DUKE!

3ptSpecialist
11-08-2009, 02:18 PM
So it seems lke we're putting on a full court press to get Rivers.

El_Diablo
11-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Well, here's a question, and I'm not trying to raise a ruckus, but what's the difference between Grant Hill and Elton Brand talking to young Rivers and Joe Booster doing the same?

Here, it appears that they're not contacting the recruit, they're just answering questions directed at them (by the recruit's father) about their personal experiences at Duke.

BD80
11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
...and just admit you want to attend Duke and sign on the dotted line.

Given what I have read on here, I think I need to add...this is a humorous post and am sorry if it results in a secondary violation or he believes I am offering anything, well maybe some Cameron pop-corn after the game (is that a violation? Maybe it should be, it was sort of salty last time I had some. What if he gets an old maid in the pop-corn and it cracks his tooth and needs dental work...oy vey...maybe I better keep the pop-corn to myself.)

GO DUKE!

Stream of consciousness post?

Stream of Jack Daniels post?

this is a humorous post

I would debate, but let us keep this about Austin...

With schollies a bit tight next (recruiting) year, anyone think Doc would be willing to pay for Austin's first year?

There’s a reason that former players send their sons [to Duke]

Grant Hill

airowe
11-08-2009, 03:59 PM
With schollies a bit tight next (recruiting) year, anyone think Doc would be willing to pay for Austin's first year?

Why do you think they'll be tight in '11-'12?

Dawkins
Czyz
MP1
MP2
Irving
Hairston
Thornton
Kelly
Curry

These are the only confirmed players for that year. Even if we get Barnes that's still only 10. As of now, our main targets for that year are:

Rivers
Miller
MP3

If we get all 3, that would give us 13 IF we get Barnes and all the above players are still on the team.

SilkyJ
11-08-2009, 04:38 PM

I'd bet a lot of money that Coach K isn't even entertaining that thought right now. If he's going to recruit a top 10 (top 5) guy, you go full court press and that doesn't mean discussing having rich daddy pay for the ride just b/c he can.

Now, Doc would probably be willing to pay if asked, but I don't see how or why this would even come up. MAYYYYBE it comes up if Austin signs and then there is another player we really covet in that class that we HAVE to make room for. But how awkward is it to court a guy really strongly, convince him Duke is the place for him instead of that other school he really likes, convince him he would be a star at Duke and we really REALLY want him....and then go back in a month after we convince him of all this and say: oh, but would you mind ponying up for the 1st year?

IMO, not happening. No one even think the word Melchionni. Top 100 recruit vs. Top 5. Coach K did it to accommodate Melchionni more than to accommodate his own needs. This would be to accommodate another recruit. Night and day. Besides, theres something important symbolically to offering a kid a scholarship to your school and coach K does not take that lightly. I would bet he would even refuse an offer from Doc/Austin to do that. This is just in the realm of almost ridiculous speculation, imo.

Newton_14
11-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Dawkins
Czyz
MP1
MP2
Irving
Hairston
Thornton
Kelly
Curry

These are the only confirmed players for that year. Even if we get Barnes that's still only 10. As of now, our main targets for that year are:

Rivers
Miller
MP3

If we get all 3, that would give us 13 IF we get Barnes and all the above players are still on the team.

Don't forget Beal..

BD80
11-08-2009, 05:03 PM

... Even if we get Barnes that's still only 10. As of now, our main targets for that year are:

Rivers
Miller
MP3

I thought we were very interested in Brad Beal, and that Austin and Brad were friends. What year is Beal?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I thought we were very interested in Brad Beal, and that Austin and Brad were friends. What year is Beal?

2011 along with rivers

BD80
11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
2011 along with rivers

So we might be tight for schollies (If everything breaks our way)?

roywhite
11-08-2009, 07:06 PM
So we might be tight for schollies (If everything breaks our way)?

Not to the point where the Rivers family would be asked to pay for Austin's costs his first year at Duke.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Not to the point where the Rivers family would be asked to pay for Austin's costs his first year at Duke.

Yea i never understood why people would expect that to happen.

BD80
11-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Never said they would or should be asked.

Scenario: 2011-212 schollies:

Czyz (Sr)
MP1 (Sr)
Dawkins (Jr)
MP2 (Jr)
Kelly (Jr)
Barnes (So)
Irving (So)
Curry (So)
Hairston (So)
Thornton (So)

We offer the bigs and they accept:
Miller (Fr)
MP3 (Fr)

Leaving Rivers and Beal and one scholarship.

Could Doc and Austin, knowing the score, even though they know Austin would get the schollie, OFFER to walk-on for a year to give Austin a chance to play with Beal?

airowe
11-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Never said they would or should be asked.

Scenario: 2011-212 schollies:

Czyz (Sr)
MP1 (Sr)
Dawkins (Jr)
MP2 (Jr)
Kelly (Jr)
Barnes (So)
Irving (So)
Curry (So)
Hairston (So)
Thornton (So)

We offer the bigs and they accept:
Miller (Fr)
MP3 (Fr)

Leaving Rivers and Beal and one scholarship.

Could Doc and Austin, knowing the score, even though they know Austin would get the schollie, OFFER to walk-on for a year to give Austin a chance to play with Beal?

I guess anything's possible, but I don't see both Rivers and Beal on the team unless we lose a guard. That's a really crowded backcourt...

soccerstud2210
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I guess anything's possible, but I don't see both Rivers and Beal on the team unless we lose a guard. That's a really crowded backcourt...

wait, we haven't offered beal yet right?

soccerstud2210
11-08-2009, 07:49 PM
the only offers we have on the table for '11 and beyond is miller, and tokoto, correct? with the aspirations of adding rivers in '11, correct?

BD80
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Doc's contract coming up for renewal? Currently runs through 2010-2011, at $5.5 mil/yr. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3579039

Wonder if Steve Pagliuca's negotiations with Doc will coincide with Austin's decision?

Could be an extra year at $6 mil + on the line ... :) :D :rolleyes: :eek:

really, this is just kidding!

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
the only offers we have on the table for '11 and beyond is miller, and tokoto, correct? with the aspirations of adding rivers in '11, correct?

Tokoto is 2012

JaMarcus Russell
11-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Marshall Plumlee has also been offered according to Rivals but not Scout.

soccerstud2210
11-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Tokoto is 2012

hence the '11 and beyond :)

airowe
11-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Tokoto is 2012

He said '11 and beyond.

MP3 has an offer too, yep. Beal has an offer as well and Rivers' offer is just a formality. If he wants to come here, he's coming.

Newton_14
11-08-2009, 08:16 PM

BDN confirmed the MP3 offer. That's the one I count on for accuracy.

Kedsy
11-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Here, it appears that they're not contacting the recruit, they're just answering questions directed at them (by the recruit's father) about their personal experiences at Duke.

Well, that's not what it appears from the article (which I'm requoting below after bolding the parts that state that EB and GH spoke directly with Austin).

...Sixers forward Elton Brand spent a significant amount of time talking to the young Rivers after the Celtics’ win against Philadelphia on Tuesday.
...“Well, it’s like family with Grant,” he said of his former player. “He’s come to a couple of (Austin’s) AAU games. He went out on the court to see him. Obviously, it’s a strong pitch when it comes from Grant Hill.”

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Sounds like DOC is on board

JaMarcus Russell
11-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Kedsy, there has to be a difference between a university's coach setting up a meeting between alumni and prospective recruits and a recruit's father doing the same thing, especially when he is involved in the basketball business.

Kedsy
11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Kedsy, there has to be a difference between a university's coach setting up a meeting between alumni and prospective recruits and a recruit's father doing the same thing, especially when he is involved in the basketball business.

Well, I assume so or they wouldn't be so open about it. But I was wondering what exactly that difference was, or if anybody knew the actual rule, because I was always under the impression that contact between a recruit and an alum was strictly forbidden. For example, would it be OK if the parent of a Michigan recruit set up a meeting with Ed Martin? Where's the line?

El_Diablo
11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Well, that's not what it appears from the article (which I'm requoting below after bolding the parts that state that EB and GH spoke directly with Austin).

Yeah, I must have just missed that part where it said EB was talking to "young" Rivers after the game. The previous reports said he had talked to Doc, not Austin. Maybe this article just got the facts wrong on that one? Isn't Austin in Florida right now anyway? I don't know...

Kedsy
11-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I must have just missed that part where it said EB was talking to "young" Rivers after the game. The previous reports said he had talked to Doc, not Austin. Maybe this article just got the facts wrong on that one? Isn't Austin in Florida right now anyway? I don't know...

Yeah, I don't know either. I assume whatever's going on is all right or they wouldn't do it, but I was curious as to how it works in this sort of situation.

soccerstud2210
11-08-2009, 10:55 PM
does the factor of getting or not getting barnes play into rivers decision at all?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
does the factor of getting or not getting barnes play into rivers decision at all?

according to Rivers it does. But it was mainly focused on KI but i would assume it meant HB as well. I can't find the article but it was posted on here.

NSDukeFan
11-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I don't know either. I assume whatever's going on is all right or they wouldn't do it, but I was curious as to how it works in this sort of situation.

I wonder if having a prior relationship, before all the recruiting takes place would be some kind of exemption. If Grant and Doc have been friends since Grant was in Orlando, then it would make sense for him to keep that contact and be at Austin's AAU games as a friend of the family, regardless of which college he attended. That the school is now recruiting him (ok, not technically) does make things a bit murkier as you have brought up.

ACCBBallFan
11-09-2009, 11:00 AM
HAHAHA yea sometimes people take things wayyyy toooo literal on here. But to keep it all AR, i wonder what would happen if and hopefully when HB commits. He did say it depends on where people go, so with KI and HB does that automatically mean we get AR?

Depending on how long Austin is willing to wiat to decide, UF getting Brandon Knight could pul in the oppoite direction, depending on if he believes Knight is one and done or not.

Knight is also a very good student but many feel Knight is one and done and Barnes may not be.

flyingdutchdevil
11-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Depending on how long Austin is willing to wiat to decide, UF getting Brandon Knight could pul in the oppoite direction, depending on if he believes Knight is one and done or not.

Knight is also a very good student but many feel Knight is one and done and Barnes may not be.

I've heard that Knight is a great student. I've also heard his front runners are Kentucky and UConn, schools not so well known for their academics. Seems a little strange to me... (btw, I'm not at all upset that Knight isn't considering us as we won the Kyrie sweepstakes, but I am a little shocked by his school selection)

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
according to Rivers it does. But it was mainly focused on KI but i would assume it meant HB as well. I can't find the article but it was posted on here.

Right. Rivers said the question whom he would be playing with would weigh heavily on his decision, and he and KI agreed that it'd be great to play together. I agree that an HB commitment to Duke would be a plus for us with Austin Rivers.

KI at the point, AR as the SB, and HB on the wing? Scary.

But remember that HB is projected as the No.1 NBA pick following his freshman year, so he and AR may never play college ball at the same time.

airowe
11-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Right. Rivers said the question whom he would be playing with would weigh heavily on his decision, and he and KI agreed that it'd be great to play together. I agree that an HB commitment to Duke would be a plus for us with Austin Rivers.

KI at the point, AR as the SB, and HB on the wing? Scary.

But remember that HB is projected as the No.1 NBA pick following his freshman year, so he and AR may never play college ball at the same time.

I think winning a title is very important to Barnes, and this is just my opinion, but I don't see him leaving before his Junior Year unless he's won one.

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 01:07 PM
If we get him, I hope you're right. It's an expensive gamble for a lottery pick to stay in school. You can be a blown knee away from never being that NBA star that could set you up for life (and launch a successful business career).

soccerstud2210
11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I think winning a title is very important to Barnes, and this is just my opinion, but I don't see him leaving before his Junior Year unless he's won one.

well if he goes to UNC i pray he is a one and done.

BUT

if he comes to duke, then i pray that he stays till he at least gets a title!

:)

wishful thinking i know

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
I guess for purposes of this thread, if HB comes to Duke, it has to help with Austin Rivers, whether HB is one-and-done or not, championship or not.

If HB stays, Austin Rivers gets to play with him, which could make them both scary good (like either needs the help).

If HB leaves after one year, AR could be playing on a team that was scary good the year before and, therefore, on TV a LOT more than Florida. If HB led Duke to an NCAA title (or anything close), that would mean all the more attention for AR his freshman year.

Kids love to be on TV, and HB will be a TV magnet. If he brings big success to a team as a freshman, then leaves, the team will still be televised a lot the following year.

airowe
11-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I guess for purposes of this thread, if HB comes to Duke, it has to help with Austin Rivers, whether HB is one-and-done or not, championship or not.

If HB stays, Austin Rivers gets to play with him, which could make them both scary good (like either needs the help).

If HB leaves after one year, AR could be playing on a team that was scary good the year before and, therefore, on TV a LOT more than Florida. If HB led Duke to an NCAA title (or anything close), that would mean all the more attention for AR his freshman year.

Kids love to be on TV, and HB will be a TV magnet. If he brings big success to a team as a freshman, then leaves, the team will still be televised a lot the following year.

Duke's going to be on tv a lot whether or not we land Harrison Barnes. We're on National TV more than any other Sports Team (Pro or Collegiate) not in the MLB.

That's not counting the tourney games either.

Rivers knows where his best chance of exposure is, and who the best coach is to coach up his weaknesses, mainly defense. That place is Duke, which is why his Dad is talking to a bunch of ex-Dukies in the NBA. I haven't heard any articles where he was talking to Joakim Noah or Mike Miller, has anyone else? :cool:

BD80
11-09-2009, 02:30 PM
... If HB leaves after one year, AR could be playing on a team that was scary good the year before and, therefore, on TV a LOT more than Florida. If HB led Duke to an NCAA title (or anything close), that would mean all the more attention for AR his freshman year.

Duke will be on TV MORE if HB comes?

Does that mean the entire Blue-White game will be on ESPNU?

Harrison will hopefully get us one or two more wins on national TV. In Houston.

weezie
11-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Duke will be on TV MORE if HB comes?

Yeah, cool! I would love an entire channel devoted to Duke. All Duke, all the time!
Just think how people would react! ;)

superdave
11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I wonder if Coach K being the Olympic team coach hurts our chances of being on tv. Just kidding...

Austin would seem like the most obvious recruit to be drawn to Duke because of K's Olympic work. Doc Rivers would know of the Olympic team's accounts either second hand or first hand from the team members he knows well enough to chat about it.

A question - how would Irving, Dawkins, Curry and Rivers play alongside each other? Dawkins seems to be a true 2 who could play the 3 in a three-guard lineup. Curry and Rivers both seem to be combo guards and could play either 1 or 2. But Irving would appear to have the 1 locked up.

That's a TON of backcourt talent!

SushiChef
11-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah, cool! I would love an entire channel devoted to Duke. All Duke, all the time!
Just think how people would react! ;)

Isn't that essentially what NBC is to Notre Dame football?

ACCBBallFan
11-10-2009, 01:23 AM
I've heard that Knight is a great student. I've also heard his front runners are Kentucky and UConn, schools not so well known for their academics. Seems a little strange to me... (btw, I'm not at all upset that Knight isn't considering us as we won the Kyrie sweepstakes, but I am a little shocked by his school selection)
Brandon Knight like Harrison Barnes plays his recruiting favorites close to the vest. I would no count out Miami or UF due to those being in his home state, former AAU teammate of Kenny Boynton etc.

Knight and now Beal seem content to wait until after the November signing period is over, CJ Leslie too.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-10-2009, 01:32 AM
I wonder if Coach K being the Olympic team coach hurts our chances of being on tv. Just kidding...

Austin would seem like the most obvious recruit to be drawn to Duke because of K's Olympic work. Doc Rivers would know of the Olympic team's accounts either second hand or first hand from the team members he knows well enough to chat about it.

A question - how would Irving, Dawkins, Curry and Rivers play alongside each other? Dawkins seems to be a true 2 who could play the 3 in a three-guard lineup. Curry and Rivers both seem to be combo guards and could play either 1 or 2. But Irving would appear to have the 1 locked up.

That's a TON of backcourt talent!

Yeah, I am sure we would be seeing lots of 3 guard lineups with Harrison playing the 4 and Miles/Mason holding down the fort down low.

ACCBBallFan
11-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I am sure we would be seeing lots of 3 guard lineups with Harrison playing the 4 and Miles/Mason holding down the fort down low.If Kyle Singler stays his senior year to be the favorite to earn a NC ring and if Barnes does choose Duke, that lineup would be:

Miles/Mason at C/Hairston

Singler at WF/Kelly/Hairston

Barnes at WF/Dawkins/Olek

Nolan at SG/Curry/Dawkins

Irving at PG/Thornton/Curry

with flexibility and backup galore.

including going very big with Irving-Barnes-Singler-Miles-Mason.

CEF1959
11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Duke's going to be on tv a lot whether or not we land Harrison Barnes. We're on National TV more than any other Sports Team (Pro or Collegiate) not in the MLB.

That's not counting the tourney games either.

Not all TV is alike. Duke is on a lot, but a lot of Duke games are on regional coverage or relegated to lesser cable/DTV stations. We Duke fans on the left coast, especially those of us without ESPN17 or access to FoxSportsPiedmont, hunger for more. CBS has wider coverage than ESPNU, for example.

And even then, just because Duke is on a lot today, that doesn't mean Duke will be on a lot in 2011. Gotta keep the TV gods fed with new guys that people all over the country want to see play -- like HB.

jimsumner
11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
"Knight and now Beal seem content to wait until after the November signing period is over, CJ Leslie too. "

Keep in mind that Beal is just a junior. He can wait a lot longer, should he be so inclined.

AlaskanAssassin
11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Not much really, except that he is 'definitely' considering Duke:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/22/austin-rivers-definitely-considering-duke/#more-25210

Sir Stealth
11-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Appreciate the link, thanks.

Lord Ash
11-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I think that was more a reaction to Zags, who seems to have the tendency of reposting old stuff in new posts.

Duke79UNLV77
11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
"Austin is a great player,” Beal said. “I communicated with him by text message and on Facebook. He really convinced me to come to Florida along with the coaches also. He’s just an overall great player and I’d really like to play with him.”

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/preps-insider/preps-insider/2009/11/chaminades-beal-is-florida-bound/

"I expect Austin to be at Florida with me,” he said. “In my opinion we will be the best backcourt in the country. We are the two of the best guards in our class, and I’m looking forward to playing with him. We are similar players and will be able to share both guard spots with each other.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=rivals-340866&prov=rivals&type=lgns

As I recall, Watzone said Beal grew up a Duke fan. By the way, whither Watzone with recruiting updates? Changed the focus of his site?

BD80
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
... whither Watzone with recruiting updates? ...

withered

Poincaré
11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Shouldn't we change the thread's title to "Where there is smoke, there is a smoke machine?"

I didn't believe that Rivers was headed to Duke. It always felt like his dad was the driving force behind this. It really sucks about Beal though. Now we're losing lifelong Duke fans to other schools?

roywhite
11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Shouldn't we change the thread's title to "Where there is smoke, there is a smoke machine?"

I didn't believe that Rivers was headed to Duke. It always felt like his dad was the driving force behind this. It really sucks about Beal though. Now we're losing lifelong Duke fans to other schools?

Beal made a firm commitment today (to UF); Austin Rivers did not.

Rivers' final choice is still un-announced (looking at Florida and Duke) and, best I can tell, undecided.

JaMarcus Russell
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
It really sucks about Beal though. Now we're losing lifelong Duke fans to other schools?

He may have been a lifelong Duke fan, but he didn't even bother to show up at the Elite Camp. Recruits don't always end up at schools they have cheered for their whole lives, especially if they think they have a better opportunity at another school.

Poincaré
11-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Rivers' final choice is still un-announced (looking at Florida and Duke) and, best I can tell, undecided.

If Rivers recruited Beal to Florida as reported above, then I'd say that waiting on announcing his decision is merely to appease Doc Rivers and his mind is already made up on Florida.

DevilHorns
11-30-2009, 10:18 PM

I take this as good news. If he's still thinking about it, there's always a chance, or he would've announced along with Beal.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
If you recruit your friend to come play with you i highly doubt your going to up and leave for another school later. A school your friend was looking at in the first place anyway.

roywhite
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
If Rivers recruited Beal to Florida as reported above, then I'd say that waiting on announcing his decision is merely to appease Doc Rivers and his mind is already made up on Florida.

The recent recruitment of Harry Barns should indicate that various stories on recruiting websites may not fully tell the story, and that it is wise to the let the process play out.

Duvall
11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
If you recruit your friend to come play with you i highly doubt your going to up and leave for another school later. A school your friend was looking at in the first place anyway.

You'd think that, wouldn't you? And yet, that's not always true.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
The recent recruitment of Harry Barns should indicate that various stories on recruiting websites may not fully tell the story, and that it is wise to the let the process play out.

yea but he kept his decision close to the vest. remember.

roywhite
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
yea but he kept his decision close to the vest. remember.

If the comments from Beal are enough for you to conclude that Austin Rivers has ruled out Duke and will definitely go to Florida, that's fine. There are plenty of other things to talk about concerning Duke basketball.

Poincaré
11-30-2009, 10:49 PM
You'd think that, wouldn't you? And yet, that's not always true.

You're right. It's only mostly true. If Austin Rivers is split between Duke and Florida yet recruited Beal to Florida, it either makes him very generous (toward Florida) or very devious (against competing for PT with Beal), right? Austin seems to be neither a prince nor a jerk. It seems far more likely that he's a normal kid who wants to play for Florida but wants to keep his dad happy by pretending to consider his options (see: "...out of respect for my father..." in his de-commitment statement).

I just think it would be best for our sanity if we temper our expectations regarding Rivers. Of course, this is a matter of personal preference.

JaMarcus Russell
11-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Of course, the quote could also be interpreted that Rivers and Beal both talked about Florida in the past, and Rivers is certainly considering the option of attending Florida. I don't think that anyone is saying Rivers is a Duke lock, but it would be equally rushed to think that he will be going to Florida because of a comment that doesn't place the specific time of their conversation.

Newton_14
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
You're right. It's only mostly true. If Austin Rivers is split between Duke and Florida yet recruited Beal to Florida, it either makes him very generous (toward Florida) or very devious (against competing for PT with Beal), right? Austin seems to be neither a prince nor a jerk. It seems far more likely that he's a normal kid who wants to play for Florida but wants to keep his dad happy by pretending to consider his options (see: "...out of respect for my father..." in his de-commitment statement).

I just think it would be best for our sanity if we temper our expectations regarding Rivers. Of course, this is a matter of personal preference.

It was actually Austin himself who stated he fell in love with Duke on his visit. He also asked Duke to start recruiting him and let the Florida staff know that he wanted Duke to recruit him. And the last time Austin was quoted on the situation, he stated that Duke and Florida were both being considered and he considered them equal and was not leaning either way.

Regardless of the Beal comments, at the end of the day Austin Rivers will do what is best for Austin Rivers. He will end up choosing the school that he feels will be the best fit for him and his future career.

That may well be Florida, but at the moment based on Austin's comments, I would think that Duke has just as good of a shot of landing him as Florida does.

airowe
11-30-2009, 11:04 PM

Ah, but Prince Harry was recruiting Irving to come play at Duke so this doesn't always play like you'd think does it?

Think about another scenario. How many times has a recruit renounced a verbal commitment and open his recruitment to another school, only to recommit to the school he had originally committed to?

WiJoe
11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Prince Harry

Freaking hilarious!!!!!!!

ChicagoCrazy84
12-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I am not going to worry about this. 2011 is still far off and a lot can happen between now and then. One of the things that could happen is we get commitments from Quinn Cook and Quincy Miller. If we do grab them, we'll not only have just as good of a backcourt as Florida, we will have a better frontcourt. So, take that Mr. Beal! Just kidding, Im not hating on the kid, I don't think the staff was going after him as hard.

duketaylor
12-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Don't worry too much about Rivers, I'll not say more.
I just want Roscoe Smith now.

BlueintheFace
12-12-2009, 11:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4707463

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4583895

Couple of articles on Austin.

theAlaskanBear
12-13-2009, 12:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4707463

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4583895

Couple of articles on Austin.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading those!

BlueintheFace
12-13-2009, 12:34 AM
How awesome is the Rivers family? What a great story.

duke09hms
12-13-2009, 12:50 AM

Posts like this are such a pain . . . I remember a couple just like this about Harrison Barnes. No proof, no basis, just a straight "trust me, this kid is coming here."

moonpie23
12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Posts like this are such a pain . . . I remember a couple just like this about Harrison Barnes. No proof, no basis, just a straight "trust me, this kid is coming here."

totally agree......ugh.....there should be some punishment or something if wrong..

Devilsfan
12-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Saw the pictures of Shel and Battier. Like the song goes, "those were the days my friend, I thought they would never end...".

BlueintheFace
12-13-2009, 10:51 AM
I just want Roscoe Smith now.

You will say no more because you know no more. The Austin Rivers recruitment is on a hiatus for the beginning of his high school season. There is no impending decision. Austin's level of interest in Duke has been accurately reflected in past articles (specifically the highschoolhoops.com articles). There is no real inside information to know here people. At least not yet. Be patient and ignore anybody who gives you a wink until spring rolls around.

Exiled_Devil
12-14-2009, 12:40 AM
totally agree......ugh.....there should be some punishment or something if wrong..

Better to punish them regardless of accuracy. Right or wrong, those kind of posts are a pain.

Is flogging still legal?

SupaDave
12-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Well for the time being let's just wait for more news...

Duke79UNLV77
12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
It sounds like Knight is a Florida lean. Any impact on Rivers? Maybe not, assuming Knight is a one and done.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2009/11/basketball-recruiting-is-brandon-knight.html

By the way, all A's on every report card since he was 5, while attending an academically elite school?! It's not every year that 2 point guards offer the entire package like Knight and Irving. You couldn't go wrong with either.

http://www.coachesaid.com/Article/2009/11/26/Pine-Crests-Brandon-Knight-is-the-complete-package

roywhite
12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
It sounds like Knight is a Florida lean. Any impact on Rivers? Maybe not, assuming Knight is a one and done.

By the way, all A's on every report card since he was 5, while attending an academically elite school?! It's not every year that 2 point guards offer the entire package like Knight and Irving. You couldn't go wrong with either.

http://www.coachesaid.com/Article/2009/11/26/Pine-Crests-Brandon-Knight-is-the-complete-package

It appears reports of the decline of the Florida Gators' hoops program under Billy Donovan were premature. Or at least temporary.

Hermy-own
12-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Knight sounds like a great kid. Congratulations to any school that gets him, except Kentucky. But I'm sure he's too smart to go there.

Bluedevil114
12-14-2009, 07:16 PM

If Knight goes to Florida does that affect Roscoe Smith's decision to go to UCONN. Especially since Duke with have Kyrie Irving.

Duke79UNLV77
12-22-2009, 09:03 AM
from Rivals.com via the ACC Sports Journal:

"I'm still committed to Florida, but I'm interested in Duke. I like Duke a lot. It helps Florida, though, for a player as good as Brad to commit.... My list could grow over the summer, but right now it's just Florida and Duke."

while the Beal commitment was good for Florida, we're still in it. survive and advance.

airowe
12-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Austin and Winter Park are on ESPNU tonight. Not sure if it's the 7:30 or 9:30 game.

texas
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Austin and Winter Park are on ESPNU tonight. Not sure if it's the 7:30 or 9:30 game.

it's the 9:30pm game. austin scored 45 points last night! they are in the championship game tonight.

chrisheery
12-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Austin Rivers is really really really good. His first step is super-quick, his handle is smooth, and he can score in every way possible. He has a complete game, or at least as close as you can expect for a junior in high school. I'd love to see this kid play for Duke. He'd be a stud.

roywhite
12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
it's the 9:30pm game. austin scored 45 points last night! they are in the championship game tonight.

Austin's Winter Park team lost 62-54 in the finals; Austin had 25 points and was overall impressive.

Strong points: he's long, fast, handles very well, and is a versatile scorer. He's got 3-point range, but probably the most impressive is his transition and mid-range game; he's terrific in the open floor, whether going to the basket, dishing off, or shooting a floater. He can go either left or right on his drives. He's very agile, and can twist around to get space or get off his shot. Has a number of point guard skills, but also shooting guard skills. Plays with a lot of poise and appears to have a good understanding of the game. (Great job, Doc).

Areas for improvement: physical strength---he's gotten stronger over the last year according to reports during the game, but could stand to add some more strength and a little bulk (of course he's a high school junior, so this is not really a surprise). Although he has good range, he does not have the classic form on his jumpshot of, say, Andre Dawkins. Stamina could be better, which kind of goes along with the physical strength aspect; on the last day of a long, intense tournament, his foul shooting was off and he appeared a little fatigued.

Overall a really good looking prospect and appears to be well liked by his coaches and teammates. Love to see him join Kyrie and others in a loaded Duke backcourt.

airowe
01-05-2010, 11:22 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2010/01/austin-rivers-diary-the-intro/

uh_no
01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
hmmm...i where he goes really depends on how both teams perform this year.....and i don't forsee florida doing anything in the near future

BlueintheFace
01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
New Video if you haven't seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG0ylWavtho

rotogod00
01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
No new recruiting info. Just that he got hurt in last nite's Spalding Hoophall Classic; blurb:

"After thrilling the crowd with some spectacular plays, 6-foot-4 junior Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla.), one of the top players in the 2011 class, left the game with an injury (ankle) that we hope won't sideline him for too long. The explosive scorer is a tough kid who can play through pain, but the extent of his injury is still unknown. Rivers had to be carried from the court."

tbyers11
01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
No new recruiting info. Just that he got hurt in last nite's Spalding Hoophall Classic; blurb:

"After thrilling the crowd with some spectacular plays, 6-foot-4 junior Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla.), one of the top players in the 2011 class, left the game with an injury (ankle) that we hope won't sideline him for too long. The explosive scorer is a tough kid who can play through pain, but the extent of his injury is still unknown. Rivers had to be carried from the court."

Yeah, this article (http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2010/01/holy-austin-rivers.html) says that he was on crutches after the game. Click on the link to see the 2 dunks from earlier in the same game that are quite impressive.

soccerstud2210
01-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, this article (http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2010/01/holy-austin-rivers.html) says that he was on crutches after the game. Click on the link to see the 2 dunks from earlier in the same game that are quite impressive.

hahahaha holy cow! I would love to have this kid in dark duke blue!!!! hopefully he sees the light!!! he is impressive to say the LEAST

jimrowe0
01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
I was just imagining rivers and irving running the back court......:eek:

ChicagoCrazy84
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Rivers and Irving would be a great backcourt, but we won't have to imagine anything with Irving and Smith running it next year. That will be a great combo!

flyingdutchdevil
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Rivers and Irving would be a great backcourt, but we won't have to imagine anything with Irving and Smith running it next year. That will be a great combo!

With both Nolan and Kyrie being able to penetrate against nearly anyone, shooting the three, and finding teammates (IMO, Nolan is much better at this than he is given credit for), the duo may be the most unguardable backcourt next year. And with Curry and Dawkins coming off the bench....

Focus on this year, FlyingDutchDevil, this year!

That said, Smith and Scheyer are, hands down, the craftiest backcourt in the nation.

NYDukie
01-19-2010, 01:06 PM
With both Nolan and Kyrie being able to penetrate against nearly anyone, shooting the three, and finding teammates (IMO, Nolan is much better at this than he is given credit for), the duo may be the most unguardable backcourt next year. And with Curry and Dawkins coming off the bench....

Focus on this year, FlyingDutchDevil, this year!

That said, Smith and Scheyer are, hands down, the craftiest backcourt in the nation.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Part of the fun, especially with college sports, is being able to live in the present with your team and look ahead, drooling with thoughts of how great said team may be if A, B and C happen...LOL That's what these boards are for.

But the thought of such a athletic, fast, dynamic and versatile backcourt with Smith, Irving, Dawkins, Curry and Thorton is tantalizing and something we haven't had in a while at Duke, let alone other schools. The only other school I can immediately think of to have such talented guard depth (4-5 guards) is that of Nova the past few years.

flyingdutchdevil
01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself. Part of the fun, especially with college sports, is being able to live in the present with your team and look ahead, drooling with thoughts of how great said team may be if A, B and C happen...LOL That's what these boards are for.

But the thought of such a athletic, fast, dynamic and versatile backcourt with Smith, Irving, Dawkins, Curry and Thorton is tantalizing and something we haven't had in a while at Duke, let alone other schools. The only other school I can immediately think of to have such talented guard depth (4-5 guards) is that of Nova the past few years.

Thanks for the advice ;)

We've had really deep guard rotations in the past, with G, Demarcus, Scheyer, Paulus, Marty. However, what's exciting next year is our 3-5s (Singler, MP1, MP2, Kelly, Hairston). That is a beautiful line-up. If T. Ross comes on board, we will have every position and type covered: athletes at all positions, shooters, lock-down defenders, penetrators, play-makers, scrappy players, post-players, shot-blockers, etc. We'll have two seniors with exceptional leadership, one junior, four sophomores, and hopefully four freshman.

NYDukie
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the advice ;)

We've had really deep guard rotations in the past, with G, Demarcus, Scheyer, Paulus, Marty. However, what's exciting next year is our 3-5s (Singler, MP1, MP2, Kelly, Hairston). That is a beautiful line-up. If T. Ross comes on board, we will have every position and type covered: athletes at all positions, shooters, lock-down defenders, penetrators, play-makers, scrappy players, post-players, shot-blockers, etc. We'll have two seniors with exceptional leadership, one junior, four sophomores, and hopefully four freshman.

I agree that we've had depth on the perimeter as you mentioned but this group looking towards next year is a group of guards. IMO G was more a small forward in a shooting guards body and the same for DeMarcus. I was never all that in love with Marty. With the possible exception of Thorton and with some of the recent write ups, he may prove me wrong, I think all will be major contributors next year.

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Interesting article on foxsports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/donovan-still-trying-to-get-gators-back-on-track) about how the Gators have lost their bite and how they may miss the Tourney.

I can see Donovan's pitch to Rivers: "With you, we'll get back to the Tournament."

I can also see K's pitch to Rivers (he will say it much better than I do, of course ;)): "Without you, Duke will still be a Tournament team. With you, Duke will be the favorites to win it all."

I'm amazed that Florida keeps getting good talent and does nothing with it. That 2008 class with Noah, Brewer, and the Horford was so incredibly lucky that way it panned out.

rotogod00
01-23-2010, 12:25 PM
ESPN's latest rankings has Rivers pushing Gilchrist for the top spot in 2011.

"Gilchrist might be the most talked about and talented junior in the country, but he has some company at the top. Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla.) is a superb prospect in his own right. The 6-4 shooting guard has improved physically over the past year. He is stronger and you can see the amount of time he's invested in his game. Always a prolific scorer, he's now a drop-dead shooter. Specifically, his midrange game has become a much bigger weapon in his arsenal. He is accepting and learning how to beat double-teams, box-and-ones. When you're No. 2 in the country a lot of guys would rest, and maybe enjoy that ranking. Rivers has invested time in his game and it is reflected in his production."

gotham devil
01-23-2010, 01:54 PM
ESPN's latest rankings has Rivers pushing Gilchrist for the top spot in 2011.

"Gilchrist might be the most talked about and talented junior in the country, but he has some company at the top. Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla.) is a superb prospect in his own right. The 6-4 shooting guard has improved physically over the past year. He is stronger and you can see the amount of time he's invested in his game. Always a prolific scorer, he's now a drop-dead shooter. Specifically, his midrange game has become a much bigger weapon in his arsenal. He is accepting and learning how to beat double-teams, box-and-ones. When you're No. 2 in the country a lot of guys would rest, and maybe enjoy that ranking. Rivers has invested time in his game and it is reflected in his production."

It'll be interesting to see whether his offense will enable him to surpass Gilchrist in the eyes of the physically fit recruiting "gurus."

Osiagledknarf
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Florida's program right now is really in flux since losing 3 out of 5 lottery picks from the back to back national title teams in 2006 and 2007. I looked at this way; Why would Rivers open up recruiting to Duke, says he likes Duke a lot and being going to some of there biggest games? These are red flags that he will be decommiting is what it is from Florida, he says really like Duke, and now he sees the best point guard in the 2010 in Kyrie Irving, the Plumlee boys in place and very mostly likely Quincy Miller coming to town over what is going on in Florida
. With this information, I would surprised not to see him here in 2011. Where there smoke, there's fire and there certainly fire here.

Kedsy
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Florida's program right now is really in flux since losing 3 out of 5 lottery picks from the back to back national title teams in 2006 and 2007. I looked at this way; Why would Rivers open up recruiting to Duke, says he likes Duke a lot and being going to some of there biggest games? These are red flags that he will be decommiting is what it is from Florida, he says really like Duke, and now he sees the best point guard in the 2010 in Kyrie Irving, the Plumlee boys in place and very mostly likely Quincy Miller coming to town over what is going on in Florida
. With this information, I would surprised not to see him here in 2011. Where there smoke, there's fire and there certainly fire here.

I hope you're right, about both Austin and Quincy, and we certainly seem to have a decent shot to get one or both, but let's not get too carried away. Neither of them is anywhere close to a lock. I'd be happy to learn our chances were better than 50/50 to land the pair of them, but my guess is realistically they aren't.

Hermy-own
01-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the advice ;)

Let's be realistic. There is a less than 50% chance that Singler will be at Duke next year. The only reason for him to come back would be akin to Joakim Noah - a feeling that he could win the NC (if we get to the Final 4 or better this year), and that it was worth passing up one year of multi million dollars. I won't blame him if he leaves, and judging by coach K's comments early in the year, that is his plan.

On the other hand.... I'm just as excited as you are. We are gonna be absolutely sweet the next few years - very, VERY high scoring, with superb outside shooting from Dawk & Curry, and inside athleticism from MP1 & 2. Lookin' good...

jimrowe0
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Big time game next friday for Austin Rivers versus Brandon Knight.

You can catch Brandon Knight on ESPN2 as Pine Crest visits Winter Park, featuring the No. 2 junior Austin Rivers, on Feb. 5 (7 p.m. ET).

quickgtp
01-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Let's be realistic. There is a less than 50% chance that Singler will be at Duke next year. The only reason for him to come back would be akin to Joakim Noah - a feeling that he could win the NC (if we get to the Final 4 or better this year), and that it was worth passing up one year of multi million dollars. I won't blame him if he leaves, and judging by coach K's comments early in the year, that is his plan.

On the other hand.... I'm just as excited as you are. We are gonna be absolutely sweet the next few years - very, VERY high scoring, with superb outside shooting from Dawk & Curry, and inside athleticism from MP1 & 2. Lookin' good...

What? Less than 50%? WOW. Singler is a second rounder at this point, and with one more year he could work himself into the 1st round, just like Shane did. I say 75% chance Kyle is back next year.

CDu
01-29-2010, 05:02 PM

Gotta disagree here. Noah was a lottery pick who stuck around and remained a lottery pick. I will be VERY surprised if Singler is a lottery pick this summer. Thus, he has a lot to gain by staying for his senior year.

No disagreement here. If the young kids develop as expected, the next few years could be something special. So could this year, if a few things play out right.

beach rev
02-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Nothing earth-shattering...just reasonably informative.

http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-hs-collings-column-0203-20100202,0,6331558.column

airowe
02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/02/austin-rivers-diary-tragedies-and-triumphs/

SupaDave
02-02-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/02/austin-rivers-diary-tragedies-and-triumphs/

That's a great write-up by the young fella. Very observant he is...

Hermy-own
02-02-2010, 09:22 PM

Interesting. Austin seemed to think that coach K was doing a great job with limited athleticism. I don't know whether to be insulted, or call that a good sign that he complemented coach K. I think I'll go with the good sign point of view. It's also good that he talks to coach K regularly. That Duke-UNC game in Cameron this march is going to be loud, intense, and hopefully a solid win. Austin will have fun watching that. :). (no, i'm not getting overconfident about beating UNC).

chrisheery
02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I love AR's game and hope we get him. I am happy to let him think he is right in any situation if that helps. BUT . . . He is wrong that we lost that game due to lack of athleticism. We lost do to poor strategy, poor execution, and awful concentration. We made mistakes that high school teams should not make. We were not completely outdone by our lack athleticism, which I think is overrated. We just were never in a position to use any athleticism we might have had.

All that said, if he think he is the answer to our "lack of athleticism," by all means, come on down.

Newton_14
02-02-2010, 09:52 PM
That's a great write-up by the young fella. Very observant he is...

The last time I followed a top recruit's diary on that site it did not end very well. Ended very badly in fact..

That said, I somehow find myself being suckered in to follow this one anyway. Let's hope there is a light at the end of this particular tunnel and not a Skype......

DevilHorns
02-02-2010, 10:00 PM
The last time I followed a top recruit's diary on that site it did not end very well. Ended very badly in fact..

That said, I somehow find myself being suckered in to follow this one anyway. Let's hope there is a light at the end of this particular tunnel and not a Skype......

I too don't feel good about our chances on Rivers. The Crazies better be ready for him at the UNC game.

jimrowe0
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I think we are in the drivers seat for Rivers. The Florida program as been slipping and the SEC overall is a weak conference. Also with Irving, Curry, and the Plumlees developing...athleticism shouldn't be an issue in coming years.

Starter
02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not insulted by what Rivers writes -- I think his assessment is dead-on. Improving the team's sheer athleticism and physical dominance must be a priority going forward. I think next year's class is a good start. Irving can't jump out of a gym, but he'll make an enormous difference at point guard.

I think what Rivers needs to recognize is the impact that he could personally have on the team. A talent such as his would instantly transform the whole face of the program. And I do think he understands that -- you can interpret his comments as: Despite not having the most athletic guys, Duke as a program is strong enough to be top 10 right now. Imagine what they could do with me as part of a well-rounded and loaded 2011 backcourt with Kyrie and Curry. (Let's hope we can interpret them that way)

jimrowe0
02-03-2010, 07:58 AM
REMINDER...REMINDER

Big time game THIS friday for Austin Rivers versus Brandon Knight.

You can catch Brandon Knight on ESPN2 as Pine Crest visits Winter Park, featuring the No. 2 junior Austin Rivers, on Feb. 5 (7 p.m. ET).

SupaDave
02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm not insulted by what Rivers writes -- I think his assessment is dead-on. Improving the team's sheer athleticism and physical dominance must be a priority going forward. I think next year's class is a good start. Irving can't jump out of a gym, but he'll make an enormous difference at point guard.

I think what Rivers needs to recognize is the impact that he could personally have on the team. A talent such as his would instantly transform the whole face of the program. And I do think he understands that -- you can interpret his comments as: Despite not having the most athletic guys, Duke as a program is strong enough to be top 10 right now. Imagine what they could do with me as part of a well-rounded and loaded 2011 backcourt with Kyrie and Curry. (Let's hope we can interpret them that way)

I totally understand the wary comments about these diaries but as I've said with previous ones - appreciate them and just get to know the kid. Imagine how fun next year could be for some creative crazies.

But to the above - I know EXACTLY what you mean about his comments. The way he ends the diary is more of a statement than a thought/opinion. Staying focused - I took it two ways ----> that he knows Seth, Kyrie, Andre, and the rest of the guys pretty well and understands what is to come --- OR he just might have something to say about that.

Considering his confidence - making a statement like that will make your mind wander a bit - I'm sure of it...

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2010, 10:31 AM
REMINDER...REMINDER

Big time game THIS friday for Austin Rivers versus Brandon Knight.

I hope Rivers does well, but I'll be rooting for my alma mater - Pine Crest!

Tim1515
02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I totally understand the wary comments about these diaries but as I've said with previous ones - appreciate them and just get to know the kid. Imagine how fun next year could be for some creative crazies.

But to the above - I know EXACTLY what you mean about his comments. The way he ends the diary is more of a statement than a thought/opinion. Staying focused - I took it two ways ----> that he knows Seth, Kyrie, Andre, and the rest of the guys pretty well and understands what is to come --- OR he just might have something to say about that.

Considering his confidence - making a statement like that will make your mind wander a bit - I'm sure of it...

Obviously so much of this is reading between the lines but he just talked to K. I get the impression the "athletic" comments are coming directly from K and about him changing things going forward.

He sounds impressed that Duke is a top 10 team right now...which is an obvious credit to the coach...and he says Florida is "rebuilding" although they've been doing that for 3 years and i don't think he wants to wait. Hopefully that means he comes to Duke....guess we'll see.

soccerstud2210
02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LsrUX2cxqQ&feature=player_embedded

dont think this has been posted yet, but its highlights from the 2010 spalding hoophall classic

it has some pretty good highlights from rivers, irving, cook, marshall, gilchrist, and more

sidenote. rivers is sick. i want him more than i did barnes. the kid is nasty! pure nastiness!!!

airowe
02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Just a reminder, Austin faces off against Brandon Knight tonight on ESPN2 at 7:00.

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2010/02/05/sunshine-state-showdowns-on-espn-networks-tonight.aspx

DevilHorns
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM

You went to Pine Crest?!?!? I went to Pine Crest (Boca campus) for 2nd grade. Really random and cool.

SilkyJ
02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
You went to Pine Crest?!?!? I went to Pine Crest (Boca campus) for 2nd grade. Really random and cool.

I went to Pine Crest Elementary in Coral Gables for 2nd-6th

Then my parents decided something about Philadelphia was more appealing than Miami...to this day neither they nor I know what that "something" was :confused:

BD80
02-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Then my parents decided something about Philadelphia was more appealing than Miami...to this day neither they nor I know what that "something" was :confused:

CheeseSteak

Saratoga2
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
They are playing on ESPN or CSN. I just watched a part of their game and was impressed by both Brandon Knight and Austin Rivers. Knight is a strong 6'4" guard who has immense ability to get to the basket and also to hit on mid range shots. Rivers is also exceptional, both at getting to the basket and also hitting step back 3's. I think Rivers would fit into Dukes team as a shooting guard who could also run the point part of the time. Just maybe he will decide to choose Duke. My understanding is that he is backing away from his early commitment to Florida.

mr. synellinden
02-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Don't knock Philly - it's where the shot happened.

roywhite
02-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Watched good part of Winter Haven vs Pine Crest; Winter Haven won by 10 or 11 points (87-76?) and both Rivers and Knight looked outstanding.

Knight did not have much of a supporting cast, so he took 35 shots (in 32 minutes) and ended up with 48 points (15-35 FG and 15-15 FT). He's physically strong, drives well and gets to the free throw line, makes some excellent passes and competes hard. Slight drawback---doesn't finish his drives well, and could shoot better.

Rivers ended up with 41 points on 14-24 FG (including several 3-pt shots). He has excellent quickness and speed, and can really blow by defenders, including Knight who simply could not stop him. Rivers has excellent shooting range and finishes very well on drives with a variety of moves around the hoop. He is also a scorer as well as a shooter; can grab a rebound or loose ball and score.

Very impressive performance by Rivers.

JaMarcus Russell
02-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Knight other than his free throw shooting and first step. Every time that little guy from Winter Park would knock down a three, Knight would rush back and take a rushed three pointer. He usually missed badly and allowed a long rebound and fast break opportunity for WP.

He got to the line a lot, but that was mostly due to Winter Park getting lots of bad fouls in the 3rd quarter, which put Pine Crest in the double bonus very early on. He got to the line on touch fouls, but he really knocked down his free throws very nicely.

Rivers had great body control, avoiding some possible charges on some great drives. He isn't as muscular as Knight, but I think he will be the better player down the road. Hopefully it will be for Duke rather than Florida.

RainingThrees
02-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Watched the game and Rivers was great. He stared the game a little shaky and looked like he was going to try and trade buckets with Knight. After missing a couple threes he started involving his teammates more and let the game come to him. Once he settled down he chose his spots and attacked the weak points in the defense, and when he need to take over he did. This guy is well worth his rating and looks on par with Kyrie Irving.

dukieinhebron
02-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I feel that Knight is more of a 2 guard than an actual point guard. He is a great player that can fill it up. However, I really don't believe he really put his teammates in positions to score. Im not sure if it is lack of skill or confidence in his teammates. He will be a stud in which ever school decides. Definitely happy that we got Kyrie Irving running the point next year.

SCMatt33
02-06-2010, 01:13 AM
I thought that Knight's performance was very Allen Iverson-like. Drove to the basket a lot, took a lot of shots, and missed most of them. Not that that is such a terrible thing when you have no other talent. It will be interesting to see him in a situation with better players.

Rivers looked awesome, though!!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-06-2010, 02:27 AM
I thought that Knight's performance was very Allen Iverson-like. Drove to the basket a lot, took a lot of shots, and missed most of them. Not that that is such a terrible thing when you have no other talent. It will be interesting to see him in a situation with better players.

His former AAU teammate was Kenny B

yancem
02-06-2010, 09:14 AM
I feel that Knight is more of a 2 guard than an actual point guard. He is a great player that can fill it up. However, I really don't believe he really put his teammates in positions to score. Im not sure if it is lack of skill or confidence in his teammates. He will be a stud in which ever school decides. Definitely happy that we got Kyrie Irving running the point next year.

From what I've heard and read about Knight is that he plays more the traditional pg role during the aau season. He apparently shoots so much for Pinecrest because he doesn't have that have that much talent around him. It would be interesting to see him play on a more complete team and see if he still shoots a ton of shots or spreads the ball around more. Either way, dude's got talent.

grossbus
02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
we here in Winter Park do not like to be confused with Winter Haven (or Winter Springs, for that matter).

thank you.
:p

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Watched this game. Austin Rivers continues to impress me. His quickness, size, strength, handle, shooting, body control, finishing ability, and court awareness are incredible. He is an almost perfect offensive player. He makes the right pass when available, or he can finish if you give him the opportunity. He can definitely play PG at the college level. I think that is his future, a big PG who can guard SG if needed in the NBA.

On the other side, I thought Brandon Knight was really impressive. His size, strength and speed make the game easy for him. He settled for too many jump shots in my opinion, and his jumper is not his best attribute. However, to get to this "next level," meaning a superstar NBA player, he needs to work on his ball-handling some. It seemed a bit loose to me, but in high school he gets away with it because he is a man playing with boys. I think he will get there, but will need to continue to work.

Because of this assessment of Knight, I am really glad we opted for Kyrie over him. I think Kyrie's handle is way better, as is his shooting. He is not as strong, but few are.

Kyrie + Austin Rivers would be one of the best back-courts in college basketball history (in my opinion).

On more thing: I don't know how any one could defend Rivers in a screen-roll situation with two shooters on the wings. Don't think it would be possible.

Kedsy
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
On more thing: I don't know how any one could defend Rivers in a screen-roll situation with two shooters on the wings. Don't think it would be possible.

You mean two shooters like Andre Dawkins and Seth Curry?

RainingThrees
02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Kyle and Nolan could also be potential shooters next year. How unstoppable would our offense...damn, gotta focus on this season. When you start thinking about potential scenarios you set yourself up for letdowns, cough Harrison Barnes cough. With that in mind next year will be fun.

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
You mean two shooters like Andre Dawkins and Seth Curry?

No, I mean two shooters like that who can also get to the rack at will, have great handles, and can run a team. I love Dre and Seth, though.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Ft. Lauderdale campus, Class of 1972. That was the only campus at that time, although not the original campus, which was downtown. Went there for junior and senior years. Played football and baseball.

MADevil30
02-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Kyle and Nolan could also be potential shooters next year. How unstoppable would our offense...damn, gotta focus on this season. When you start thinking about potential scenarios you set yourself up for letdowns, cough Harrison Barnes cough. With that in mind next year will be fun.

Its also not a possible scenario because Rivers is in the class of 2011 (current junior), although that can be hard to remember seeing as the buzz on him around here is so hot...we forget that he still has a lot of time to make a decision

I agree that Irving, Rivers, Dawkins, Curry would be an unbelievable set of guards...imagine being able to have any three of them on the court at the same time, how could that be topped?

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I agree that Irving, Rivers, Dawkins, Curry would be an unbelievable set of guards...imagine being able to have any three of them on the court at the same time, how could that be topped?

That is going to take place next year.

BD80
02-06-2010, 10:01 PM
We (hopefully) will be able to utilize some World Series of Poker signs in Cameron:

You got beat by the River!

(ESPN will dig the cross-selling, the NCAA might not)

DevilHorns
02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Ft. Lauderdale campus, Class of 1972. That was the only campus at that time, although not the original campus, which was downtown. Went there for junior and senior years. Played football and baseball.

Boca Campus, 2nd grade, I participated in after-school swimming lessons. I believe I had a trapper keeper with a lot of stickers. :)

BattierD12
02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
A tiny bit of info in a recent article on the Orlando Magic.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_notes_020710.html

Rivers plans on being in Orlando during the all-star break to spend time with his family, and naturally take in more basketball game. He said his two sons, Austin and Spencer, play four games in three days during the break. … Austin, a senior guard at Winter Park High School, is one of the nation’s most sought-after recruits. He backed out of his verbal commitment and is being recruited heavily by Duke University. Grant Hill, who played for Rivers in Orlando and is one of Duke’s most famous former players, has been in contact with Austin about potentially playing at Duke.

I'm reaalllllly liking our chances.

ricks68
02-09-2010, 01:03 AM

Yes, but there was still "no defense for Larry Rentz" from Coral Gables. (But then, that was 8 years before Ozzie graduated Pine Crest.;)

ricks

Gables '64

AlaskanAssassin
02-09-2010, 01:06 AM
A tiny bit of info in a recent article on the Orlando Magic.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_notes_020710.html

Rivers plans on being in Orlando during the all-star break to spend time with his family, and naturally take in more basketball game. He said his two sons, Austin and Spencer, play four games in three days during the break. … Austin, a senior guard at Winter Park High School, is one of the nation’s most sought-after recruits. He backed out of his verbal commitment and is being recruited heavily by Duke University. Grant Hill, who played for Rivers in Orlando and is one of Duke’s most famous former players, has been in contact with Austin about potentially playing at Duke.

I'm reaalllllly liking our chances.

Hmm..don't know how factual those statements are. Haven't heard from anywhere that he backed out of it.

Jim3k
02-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Hmm..don't know how factual those statements are. Haven't heard from anywhere that he backed out of it.

Plus, it's unlikely that Grant has been in contact with Austin since he's an alum who would be barred by rule from such contact. Grant, OTOH, has no doubt discussed it with Doc, who has probably relayed to Austin what Grant has said.

I also suppose it is possible that Grant has had social/business reasons to be in the Rivers home. I think the rules would still apply, so Austin could have listened in on any conversation Grant and Doc might have had.

No matter what, there is an area where Grant is not allowed to go. And I'm sure he has not. So I suspect the article is in error in that way, as well.

It might be interesting if someone were to ask the author if he had verified the facts with someone who actually knows them.

gotham devil
02-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Plus, it's unlikely that Grant has been in contact with Austin since he's an alum who would be barred by rule from such contact. Grant, OTOH, has no doubt discussed it with Doc, who has probably relayed to Austin what Grant has said.

I also suppose it is possible that Grant has had social/business reasons to be in the Rivers home. I think the rules would still apply, so Austin could have listened in on any conversation Grant and Doc might have had.

No matter what, there is an area where Grant is not allowed to go. And I'm sure he has not. So I suspect the article is in error in that way, as well.

It might be interesting if someone were to ask the author if he had verified the facts with someone who actually knows them.

Where did you get the notion that Austin Rivers is barred from contacting Duke alumni?

Bob Green
02-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Hmm..don't know how factual those statements are.

For starters, Austin Rivers is not a senior guard. Austin is Class of 2011 and currently a junior.

Jim3k
02-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Where did you get the notion that Austin Rivers is barred from contacting Duke alumni?

My notion is based on the other way around. And even if Austin is making the contact, given the high possibility of a misunderstanding, Grant would be well advised to avoid it if he can.

Jim3k
02-09-2010, 02:15 AM

An addendum, this is a rules reminder from an NCAA Div. 1 university's website concerning alums being in contact with a prospect. I have redacted this particular school's name, but it applies to all, including Duke and including our pro basketball alums.

Guide to NCAA Rules for Alumni & Friends
Representative of Athletics Interests:
Under NCAA rules a "representative of the institution's athletic interests" (athletics representative/booster) is any individual who has ever:
1. Made any type of contribution to the Department of Athletics and Recreational Sports or booster club;
2. Joined [the university’s] booster club;
3. Provided benefits (e.g., summer jobs) to prospective or enrolled student athletes or their families;
4. Assisted, in any manner, in their recruitment of prospective student athletes; or
5. Promoted the athletics program in any manner.

Please make special note of three important points:
1. You become a representative by any action on your part to assist the Department of Athletics and Recreational Sports in any manner.
2. Once you become a representative of the institution's athletics interests, you retain that identity forever.
3. NCAA rules hold the institution responsible for all actions of its athletics representatives. Boosters involved in NCAA violations may lose benefits and privileges associated with the athletic program.

RECRUITING:
As a representative of [this university’s] athletics interests, you may:
1. View a prospect's athletics event (but not contact the prospect, his/her parents, legal guardians or coaches on such occasions);
2. Talk to a prospect on the telephone if he/she calls you, as long as you do not talk about the athletics program;
3. Talk to a prospect about summer employment, subsequent to completion of their senior year of high school, after he/she has signed a national letter of intent (In all instances, please contact the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance before contacting the prospect.); or
4. Recommend a prospect to the appropriate [the University’s] coach.

As a representative of [University’s] athletics interests, you may not provide a prospect with improper recruiting inducements, including but not limited to:

1. Contact a prospect's coach, principal or counselor in an effort to evaluate a prospect;
2. Visit a prospect's educational institution to pick up film or transcripts pertaining to the evaluation of the prospect's academic eligibility or athletic ability;
3. Contact a prospect, his/her relatives, or legal guardians, by telephone;
4. Write a prospect, his/her relatives or legal guardians; or
5. Make special arrangements for entertaining a prospect on an official visit (e.g., By providing donations, goods, services or discounts).

So even if Austin called Grant, Grant can't talk about the athletics program.

gotham devil
02-09-2010, 02:31 AM
So even if Austin called Grant, Grant can't talk about the athletics program.

If he has the time, one would think that the staff would feel completely comfortable with Grant Hill abiding by the rules and talking to Rivers about what it was like for him to go to school at Duke-the social life, the classes, the area, etc.

Greg_Newton
02-09-2010, 02:53 AM
My notion is based on the other way around. And even if Austin is making the contact, given the high possibility of a misunderstanding, Grant would be well advised to avoid it if he can.

Ehhhh... while I'm also not sold on the author's fact-checking, I'm not sure I agree with that general advice. I mean, H*****n B****s described in no uncertain words how heavily Vince Carter recruited him on his OV, and all that came of that was a) not so much as a raised eyebrow from the NCAA, and b) a commitment to UNC-CH.

IMHO, this is the kind of "gray area" that is perfectly acceptable (as opposed to perks for handlers, relatives, etc.). If the biggest blemish on Duke's program is a kid calling up Grant Hill, who happens to be one of the classiest basketball players on the planet, I'm okay with that.

Jim3k
02-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Ehhhh... while I'm also not sold on the author's fact-checking, I'm not sure I agree with that general advice. I mean, H*****n B****s described in no uncertain words how heavily Vince Carter recruited him on his OV, and all that came of that was a) not so much as a raised eyebrow from the NCAA, and b) a commitment to UNC-CH.

IMHO, this is the kind of "gray area" that is perfectly acceptable (as opposed to perks for handlers, relatives, etc.). If the biggest blemish on Duke's program is a kid calling up Grant Hill, who happens to be one of the classiest basketball players on the planet, I'm okay with that.

Official visits are quite different. they are on campus and fall within certain specified rules. Grant can do that. And many have: Laettner has even worked with big men prospects in our basketball facility.

Yours is an apples v. oranges comparison.