PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

CDu
07-09-2010, 02:30 PM
We now have time to make this the longest recruiting thread ever on DBR.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this...

It's nothing to get worked up over either way I agree. But taking more time is never a good thing for the presumed leader. If you're the leader, you want the decision made sooner. A longer process means more time for other teams to dig their teeth in.

That doesn't mean that he won't still ultimately commit to Duke. It's just that if we all think he's a heavy Duke lean (and that seems to be the consensus) then a quicker decision gives a better probability for Duke.

At the same time, good for him for taking the time that he feels he needs to make an informed decision.

airowe
07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
At the same time, good for him for taking the time that he feels he needs to make an informed decision.

I agree. Plus, who wouldn't want to take some free trips around the country... At least it won't look like Duke talked him into decommitting from Florida, right? :cool:

CDu
07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree. Plus, who wouldn't want to take some free trips around the country... At least it won't look like Duke talked him into decommitting from Florida, right? :cool:

And if there really is a violent gerbil, then all this is moot anyway, right?

cato
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
does this mean the 'pessimists' are vindicated?

uh . . . no

airowe
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
And if there really is a violent gerbil, then all this is moot anyway, right?

Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on. I agree with this. Things can change in recruiting. And quickly. Austin has given dates and said he would be at places that he hasn't stuck to in the past. That has not changed. My belief that it is a when, not if thing with Austin has not changed either.

We'll know a lot more by the end of the beginning of Austin's Senior Year imo.

jimsumner
07-09-2010, 02:48 PM
"Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on"

How many basketball recruits have made public, verbal committments to play basketball at Duke and ended up at another college?

I can think of Bill Bradley and Kris Humphries. Am I missing anyone? The other umpteen gazillion have honored their verbals.

BTW, if it isn't public, then it itsn't a verbal committment. IMO.

Duvall
07-09-2010, 02:49 PM

When is that? Before the start of his basketball season?

CDu
07-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on. I agree with this. Things can change in recruiting. And quickly. Austin has given dates and said he would be at places that he hasn't stuck to in the past. That has not changed. My belief that it is a when, not if thing with Austin has not changed either.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Sorry if the attempt at humor failed (either due to my bad humor or the difficulty of interpreting context over the internet).

SilkyJ
07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
He won't know much more about the players that he will be playing with in December than he will in August.

Which makes me wonder if he'll really announce in December.

If you're gonna wait til December, might as well wait til April or whenever and see who sticks around...

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Which makes me wonder if he'll really announce in August.

If you're gonna wait til December, might as well wait til April or whenever and see who sticks around...

He's not deciding in August. We can pretty much forget about that.

airowe
07-09-2010, 02:59 PM
"Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on"

How many basketball recruits have made public, verbal committments to play basketball at Duke and ended up at another college?

I can think of Bill Bradley and Kris Humphries. Am I missing anyone? The other umpteen gazillion have honored their verbals.

BTW, if it isn't public, then it itsn't a verbal committment. IMO.

We're on the same page Jim. I took the violent gerbil thing into a verbal commitment thing. My language wasn't exactly clear.

Please forgive me though, I believe I'm still on island time and saturated with Belikin Beer.

ETA: I'm not big on comparing recruits to other recruits. Austin has certainly gone about things differently than almost any other Duke recruit. Has Coach K ever landed a player who decommitted from another school? I honestly don't remember...

airowe
07-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Things can change. I certainly wouldn't rule it out...

SilkyJ
07-09-2010, 03:01 PM
any day now we'll know.

So it doesn't look like it'll be any day now...

DT- care to say anything here??

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Very true, but seeing how things have gone, I highly doubt it.

SilkyJ
07-09-2010, 03:02 PM

typo. meant december.

airowe
07-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Very true, but seeing how things have gone, I highly doubt it.

Like Austin changing his timeline? :D

SilkyJ
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM

At this point I don't think we can rule anything out.

He's clearly wrestling with the decision and thinking about it a lot (or something very strange is going on behind the scenes, which I doubt), which is fine, but to expect anything is at this point would seem silly since it seems Austin himself doesn't really know what to do.

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Like Austin changing his timeline? :D

Touche, but more along the lines of putting things off (visits to UNC, deadline for decision) and the fact that Doc Rivers will now have a bigger influence on and when he makes his decision, and we all know Doc wants Austin to decide on the Spring.

Also, to your earlier post, we certainly cannot rule anything out for the simple fact that nothing AR says is ever set in stone.

dukejunkie
07-09-2010, 03:36 PM
We're on the same page Jim. I took the violent gerbil thing into a verbal commitment thing. My language wasn't exactly clear.

Please forgive me though, I believe I'm still on island time and saturated with Belikin Beer.

ETA: I'm not big on comparing recruits to other recruits. Austin has certainly gone about things differently than almost any other Duke recruit. Has Coach K ever landed a player who decommitted from another school? I honestly don't remember...

Miles asked out of his letter of intent to Stanford when their coach, Trent Johnson, left.

DukeBlueNV
07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm looking at this (through the eyes of an optimist maybe) as him just deciding to play his cards a little bit closer to the vest. Possibly because of advise from his dad... To me in his dairy its saying (without really saying) I still really like Duke but they arent a shoe-in to get me. Kinda like John Wall (hate to compare the two). But did anyone really believe he was going anywhere but wherever Cal was coaching? He said plenty of things like "I dont have a leader." or "Everyone has a shot." But he knew where he was going... I think this is Austin just pulling back the reigns a little with all the love he has been showing Duke lately because its starting to get out into places like SI and not just little blog sites.

Saratoga2
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Austin's father is the excellent coach of the Celtics. My guess is that he would want Austin to go to a school with a great reputation where he knows that coach will look out for the best interests of his son. Clearly Duke a top notch program with a coach that fits that bill. I think the father will have some influence on Austin and I hope he feels the same way about the Duke program.

Devilsfan
07-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I love the way Doc coaches. He had me rooting for the Celtics for the first time since they had the original "Hondo". It would be great to see him take time off in 2011-2012 to watch his son in Cameron with the Crazies going nuts when he drains another three.

uh_no
07-09-2010, 05:58 PM
closer to the vest.

can we ban this phrase from dbr forever?

WiJoe
07-09-2010, 06:03 PM
I believe Rivers is distancing himself from Duke. Read that ANY WAY you want to.

(Sorry, Roy White)

roywhite
07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I believe his is distancing himself from Duke. Read that ANY WAY you want to.

Well, it would help if I knew what it meant.

his is distancing himself?? and who is "his"?

Could you clarify?

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 06:24 PM
I believe Rivers is distancing himself from Duke. Read that ANY WAY you want to.

(Sorry, Roy White)

Like RoyWhite said, would please clarify your opinion that Austin is distancing himself from Duke? I would like to hear this.

SilkyJ
07-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Like RoyWhite said, would please clarify your opinion that Austin is distancing himself from Duke? I would like to hear this.

Do you really care? He's just another guy who knows nothing about this other than what we can all read on the interwebs. More baseless speculation...

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Do you really care? He's just another guy who knows nothing about this other than what we can all read on the interwebs. More baseless speculation...

You're right, I just thought it'd be interesting to hear the basis for his opinion in which he is in the minority.

SilkyJ
07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
You're right, I just thought it'd be interesting to hear the basis for his opinion in which he is in the minority.

Why is baseless speculation interesting to you? Go for a run or something if you need something to do...

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Why is baseless speculation interesting to you? Go for a run or something if you need something to do...

Good idea, you wanna join me? We'll do lunch.

77devil
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Good idea, you wanna join me? We'll do lunch.

It'll be a long run. You're 3,000 miles apart.

OldPhiKap
07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
It'll be a long run. You're 3,000 miles apart.

A journey of 3,000 miles begins with a single step . . . .

(Then a heck of a lot more).

Class of '94
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Yes, Austin could decide to go somewhere other than Duke; and it could be UNC for all the same reasons he could choose Duke. Saying that, I think we need to stay confident in where we stand with Austin at this point. Some people keep mentioning HB as a reason for caution.......Fine, but please let it go once and for all; and let's move on to the next play. HB has gotten into many of our heads and we need to get him out. It's like we need to do an exorcism to get HB out of our system. :)

Call me biased, but I'm not ready to concede that Ol Roy is a better recruiter than Coach K. Roy has earned his fair share of recruits (some over us) and he's lost his fair share (Devon Roe, RK, KS, etc.); and Coach K has won (over Roy) and lost his fair share of recruits. We shouldn't get too overly worried about a recruit listing UNC as a possible destination, no matter what the circumstances are. I would imagine that if any of our TarHeel-supporting readers read this thread, they would would be laughing at us and enjoying our concern over the possibility of Austin going to UNC; and it would further feed their belief that Roy and UNC have a recruiting edge over. Let's not feed into that.

MartyClark
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Speaking of Doc Rivers, he was one heck of a player. He played for Proviso East High School in suburban Chicago. If I remember correctly, he was a year behind Isaiah Thomas who played for St. Joseph High School in Westchester(which figured prominently in the movie Hoop Dreams). High school basketball did not get the same exposure in those days, but the basketball junkies in Chicago debated who was the better point guard, Isaiah or Doc.

It's difficult to know how much influence Doc has on Austin or whether Doc favors Duke. You would have to think that Doc knows and respects Coach K and, hopefully, that plays some role in the young man's decision.

_Gary
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
This article simply reinforces to me what I've been saying for a while now:

Don't count those chickens...

I'm not saying I think Austin isn't still a Duke lean. I've got to believe he is, but I'm also not one that thinks this is "in the bag" by any stretch at all. What really bothers me most is that it honestly looks to me like it's going to come down to us and Hell. If the recruit that shall not be named, and his situation, had happened a few years ago and the sting wasn't still a little fresh, I'd feel better. But just the thought of potentially losing out in consecutive years to UNC - for players we were clearly leading in - is a bit much for me to think about. Yeah, I can ease the pain by thinking about the hardware won just a few months ago, and also thinking about the great chance we should have this coming year. But darned if this type of situation still doesn't pull me down.

Glass half full guy. I admit it.

Go Duke!

amat1129
07-09-2010, 10:41 PM
can we ban this phrase from dbr forever?

i support it

NYC Duke Fan
07-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Speaking of Doc Rivers, he was one heck of a player. He played for Proviso East High School in suburban Chicago. If I remember correctly, he was a year behind Isaiah Thomas who played for St. Joseph High School in Westchester(which figured prominently in the movie Hoop Dreams). High school basketball did not get the same exposure in those days, but the basketball junkies in Chicago debated who was the better point guard, Isaiah or Doc.

It's difficult to know how much influence Doc has on Austin or whether Doc favors Duke. You would have to think that Doc knows and respects Coach K and, hopefully, that plays some role in the young man's decision.

And why do you not think that Doc doesn't know and respect Roy Williams?

I am sure that the same respect that Doc Rivers has for Coach K he has for Roy Williams.

roywhite
07-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Okay, let's consider this.

Is Austin Rivers really a crucial or even important recruit for Duke?

1. He's made it pretty clear that he plans on playing college basketball for one year only.

2. Without him in the 2011-12 season, wouldn't Duke still have a strong/very strong backcourt?

DreAllDay
07-10-2010, 09:07 AM

1. He's made it pretty clear that he plans on playing college basketball for one year only.

2. Without him in the 2011-12 season, wouldn't Duke still have a strong/very strong backcourt?

Austin Rivers is VERY crucial recruit for Duke. We will still have a strong backcourt if we don't get him, but still Rivers takes it to a different level.

Duke will lose Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler after this year and we are likely to lose MP2 and KI. Thus, we will need the offensive firepower Rivers offers. Austin Rivers is an absolute gamebreaker. We want him regardless if it's only for a year. Plus we're recruiting against UNC here, if UNC were to land Rivers that would give them a straight nasty trio of McAdoo, PJ Hairston, and Rivers in the 2011 recruiting class.

oldnavy
07-10-2010, 10:03 AM
And why do you not think that Doc doesn't know and respect Roy Williams?

I am sure that the same respect that Doc Rivers has for Coach K he has for Roy Williams.

Not trying to be confrontational, but why on earth would you make that assumption? First, assuming Doc does have a high level of respect for Coach K (or maybe Doc has stated this somewhere), why would you make the correlation that he would then have the same level of respect for another coach? Any coach? Are you assuming that Doc would automatically have a high level of respect for any successful coach? What if Doc is smart enough to see beyond the wins and championships and base his opinion and respect for a coach on his character and leadership abilities? Would K and Roy be equals in that comparison in your eyes? Would you assume that Doc has the same level of respect for Calipari? Calhoun? Tarkanian?

Anything is possible and Doc may actually respect Roy more than K, but I am curious as to why you would automatically make that assumption?

NSDukeFan
07-10-2010, 10:25 AM

With Duke's current roster and commitments, the team looks like it would still be strong even if neither Austin or Quincy commits.
2011-12 tentative roster
Sr. Miles Plumlee
Jr. Mason Plumlee?
Jr. Kelly
Soph. Hairston
Fresh. Adams
Fresh. Gbinije
Jr. Curry
Jr. Dawkins
Soph. Thornton
Soph. Irving?

Even without Irving or Mason, that squad looks potentially strong. This is, of course, assuming improvement from everyone. There is certainly the possibility that Kyrie and/or Mason could be playing, as well as another freshman or two, such as Quin Cook and/or Marshall Plumlee if we didn't land Q or Austin. All in all, I would say that Austin is not a crucial recruit for Duke, but he is so talented that he could make a big impact, even if it was only for a year.

Jackson
07-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I remember reading somewhere earlier (perhaps on this thread) that Elton Brand and Doc were talking prior to a Philly/Boston game. When asked what they were talking about, Elton replied "Duke". I think it is fair to say that Doc has a lot of respect for K, otherwise I don't think Austin would show the level of interest that he has so far. I don't want to hang everything in the world on this kid like a lot of us did for He who must not be named (HB). I hope we get him, even if it is only for one year, but if not, there are other options. I did see somewhere that he is not planning on deciding on any school until later on. I guess the August deadline is not going to happen.

roywhite
07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Even without Irving or Mason, that squad looks potentially strong. This is, of course, assuming improvement from everyone. There is certainly the possibility that Kyrie and/or Mason could be playing, as well as another freshman or two, such as Quin Cook and/or Marshall Plumlee if we didn't land Q or Austin. All in all, I would say that Austin is not a crucial recruit for Duke, but he is so talented that he could make a big impact, even if it was only for a year.

I posed the question to get some different thoughts, but I agree with you here.

Bob Green
07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I can ease the pain by thinking about the hardware won just a few months ago....

I agree wholeheartedly with your post as a whole, however, I disagree with this thought. NCAA Championships are few and far between while we sign top recruits on a regular basis. There is no comparison between the two and the championship is on a totally different level of importance.

Greg_Newton
07-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Generally agree with this, but I also think it's a very good thing to have young NBA stars with the Duke brand on them. Rivers' importance is almost as much for future recruiting in my mind as it is for the direct effect he'll have on the court in the year he's year. No one wants K to become Calipari, but it's clear the effect Evans/Rose/Wall has had on his recruiting attractiveness.

Plus, selfishly, I like when we churn out NBA stars because it makes watching the NBA a lot more fun.

-bdbd
07-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Generally agree with this, but I also think it's a very good thing to have young NBA stars with the Duke brand on them. Rivers' importance is almost as much for future recruiting in my mind as it is for the direct effect he'll have on the court in the year he's year. No one wants K to become Calipari, but it's clear the effect Evans/Rose/Wall has had on his recruiting attractiveness.

Plus, selfishly, I like when we churn out NBA stars because it makes watching the NBA a lot more fun.

I understand the point and do appreciate the theme of the value of having "name" players in the NBA to point to while in a recuit's living room as examples of our player success. Duke doesn't have, right now, what I would call a bonafide superstar alum in the NBA - though the sheer number of Duke NBA guys is a pretty solid statement in its own right - and Austin does have that potential. Though Boozer is pretty damn close. BTW, that was one of many losses, I think, when Jay Wil's motorcycle went awry...

But, regardless of having a strong backcourt "anyway" in '11-'12, make no mistake that AR would make it much better. He's that good. Also, don't forget that MANY (most?) players who go in thinking one-and-done wind up staying longer -- b/c they love college, develop friendships, don't do as well as hoped, decide to go after the NCAA crown again, see bad positioning in their draft year, etc.

Austin is a stud, and we'd be lucky to have him, even if he never played a day in the pros, which he will.

Think good vibes people!!!

:rolleyes:

sdotbarbee
07-11-2010, 10:19 AM
There are a lot of subtexts here. First of all, I don't think anybody here wants to deny you the right to be as optimistic and giddy as you wish. Though there's a difference between saying "I have a good feeling about this" and saying "this is going to happen." (And I'm not making any judgment as to which side of the equation your previous statements have fallen; I honestly don't remember and don't care enough to look it up.)

I think part of some people's reactions are fueled by a pseudo-superstitious fear of jinxing a good thing by taking it for granted. That's not your problem, it's theirs. I also think the biggest part of the backlash is caused by the fact that in the past a lot of the people who were most optimistic about things (like HB's recruitment but it's certainly not the only example) have instantly gone 180 and spewed the most negative and hurtful things when their original optimistic feelings turned out to be misplaced. Once people decide they've won something in advance, the hurt when they lose is a lot more intense, and many of these people have not been shy about expressing that pain. But it's no fun to listen to, so many people advise caution in advance to hopefully keep the potential bitter rants to a minimum.

As far as your most recent statements about MP3, you appear to be making several possibly unwarranted assumptions. First, as far as I know it's only been one source said it was down to Duke, UNC, and UVa, and that has been disputed by other sources, so I wouldn't base any certainties on that. Second, Scout is certainly a source but I wouldn't bet the house based on Scout's determination of who has offered scholarships to whom. Third, even if UNC hasn't offered yet, if MP3 says he's deciding among three schools and UNC is one of them then it's probably safe to assume that Roy has suggested an offer could be forthcoming. The current lack of an offer certainly wouldn't "rule out" anything. Finally, over the years Duke has lost several recruits to UVa. It's a little arrogant to assume it couldn't happen again, especially if MP3 thinks he could start and star at UVa but possibly sit on the bench at Duke.

In short, neither MP3 nor AR will be over until they're over.

So was it arrogance or did I know something? Either way MP3 is here now and I fully expect to see Rivers come to the same conclusion. With Rivers that 2011 class would be insane.

DevilHorns
07-11-2010, 01:06 PM
So was it arrogance or did I know something? Either way MP3 is here now and I fully expect to see Rivers come to the same conclusion. With Rivers that 2011 class would be insane.

That's some awesome foresight. If I had your inside knowledge I would go to vegas and bet my house on Austin Rivers coming to Duke.

_Gary
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
That's some awesome foresight. If I had your inside knowledge I would go to vegas and bet my house on Austin Rivers coming to Duke.

Absolutely. I'm sure he's doing that right now, seeing as how he's obviously the next coming of Nostradamus. And if you don't believe that, just ask him.

WiJoe
07-11-2010, 03:56 PM
we haven't heard anything from the great vasherized for some time. what's up with that?

Kedsy
07-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Well, the arrogance was saying no recruit would pick UVa over Duke, and if you believe that, it's still arrogance. As to whether you knew something, I doubt it. Just because MP3 chose to come to Duke doesn't mean you knew any more than a guy sitting around flipping coins.

That said, I hope you're just as prescient about Rivers. Only time will tell.

oldnavy
07-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Friend, if you "know" something please share it with us. Otherwise you are going to get rained on pretty hard. You had a better than 50:50 chance of getting the MP3 prediction correct by just guessing, so if you have info, especially about Rivers then feel free to share it with us. IF not, then it is a good idea to state that it is just your gut feeling otherwise I am afraid that you will be hammered as others have been when they make unsubstantiated claims on the board. I too have a pretty good "feeling" about Rivers coming to Duke, but I have absolutely no inside information - AT ALL -, and that is how I present it to the board. Things may go a little easier for you if you take that same approach. Just my humble opinion, take it for what it is worth, otherwise if you keep putting things out there as predetermined or forgone conclusions you are going to be called on them.

sdotbarbee
07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Well here is what I know, I knew that MP3 had it narrowed down to 3 schools, Duke, unc, and UVA. He only had offers on the table from 2 of those schools and they were Duke and UVA, so unc was not in the picture at this point. MP3's coach and MP1 said that Marshall would make his decision by the end of July so that completely took unc out of the equation. So now it was down to Duke and UVA, and I know Kedsy took offense to me saying that Duke wouldn't lose a recruiting battle with UVA but the past 15 years we haven't. Maybe it is arrogance or maybe I just have that much confidence in our coaching staff and our history that there are only a handful of schools that could pull a recruit away from us and UVA is NOT one of them. Plus I know he said he wouldn't make the decision based on his brothers and where they were but come on you know that was a factor too. So did I have inside info? No but if you step back and look at the facts it was pretty clear where he would end up. I also had some info from a premium site but I know it is not kosher to share on this board so I didn't. I just hope AR makes the same decision, which I think he will but who knows.:D

uh_no
07-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I also had some info from a premium site

well that seals the deal!

sdotbarbee
07-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Well, the arrogance was saying no recruit would pick UVa over Duke, and if you believe that, it's still arrogance. As to whether you knew something, I doubt it. Just because MP3 chose to come to Duke doesn't mean you knew any more than a guy sitting around flipping coins.

That said, I hope you're just as prescient about Rivers. Only time will tell.

So we are all Duke fans on here and this is what I get? Since I am a "newbie" I don't get a small amount of respect? You guys really make new guys feel welcome.:) I don't think stating facts is arrogance, it simply doesn't happen and until it does I will firmly believe that a recruit would chose Duke over UVA.

uh_no
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't think stating facts is arrogance, it simply doesn't happen and until it does I will firmly believe that a recruit would chose Duke over UVA.

I would say your final clause is just about the definition of arrogance. Its not about making a new guy feel welcome....its about not being wildly speculative without facts.....the recruiting landscape changes yearly, even daily, and each recruit is an indicividual. Just because you can't find a recruit that spurned duke for uva doesn't mean it couldn't happen at any point. Suppose mason decided he'd get more playing time at UVA, or he didn't want to play in the shadow of his brothers? those are completely valid reasons why he might have gone to UVA over duke

GOOD POST:
I think mason will choose duke because he would like playing with his brothers and coach K presents an opportunity of academics and athletics that can't be topped elsewhere.

BAD POST:
I know mason will choose duke becuase no recruit would ever choose UVA over duke

PADukeMom
07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Okay I know I'm a blonde & it is Monday but don't we already have Mason playing for us & it is Marshall we were recuriting?

Just joking guys, I know what you meant.

Back to making this thread about Austin. I have no news only hopes.

sdotbarbee
07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I would say your final clause is just about the definition of arrogance. Its not about making a new guy feel welcome....its about not being wildly speculative without facts.....the recruiting landscape changes yearly, even daily, and each recruit is an indicividual. Just because you can't find a recruit that spurned duke for uva doesn't mean it couldn't happen at any point. Suppose mason decided he'd get more playing time at UVA, or he didn't want to play in the shadow of his brothers? those are completely valid reasons why he might have gone to UVA over duke

GOOD POST:
I think mason will choose duke because he would like playing with his brothers and coach K presents an opportunity of academics and athletics that can't be topped elsewhere.

BAD POST:
I know mason will choose duke becuase no recruit would ever choose UVA over duke

I gave you facts you just didn't want to believe them. Fact 1: he will make his decision before August, Fact 2: he had narrowed the schools down to Duke, UVA, and unc, Fact 3: he had two scholarships on the table, one from Duke and one from UVA, Fact 4: both brothers play at Duke, Fact 5: Duke hasn't lost a recruit to UVA. Maybe down the road we do lose a recruit to UVA but like I said, not this year.

sdotbarbee
07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Now back to Austin, I have no new news either.:D

airowe
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
From Wayne Gooch, who's down in Augista watching Austin play in the Peach Jam:

Bluedevilsreign Austin Rivers is going off he has 24 early in the 2nd half. Roy Williams or no one in the gym for unc. Nuff said. 16 minutes ago

PADukeMom
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM
From Wayne Gooch, who's down in Augista watching Austin play in the Peach Jam:

Bluedevilsreign Austin Rivers is going off he has 24 early in the 2nd half. Roy Williams or no one in the gym for unc. Nuff said. 16 minutes ago

Okay so why did this news cause me to do the chicken dance with a Tootsie Roll lillipop in my mouth???

PLEASEEE tell me WE had someone down there?

Kedsy
07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I gave you facts you just didn't want to believe them. Fact 1: he will make his decision before August, Fact 2: he had narrowed the schools down to Duke, UVA, and unc, Fact 3: he had two scholarships on the table, one from Duke and one from UVA, Fact 4: both brothers play at Duke, Fact 5: Duke hasn't lost a recruit to UVA. Maybe down the road we do lose a recruit to UVA but like I said, not this year.

Well, I apologize if I offended you with my earlier post, but other than your #4 above, none of those things are facts. "Fact" 1 is an extrapolation of his brother and coach saying the decision would come "soon," and even if you think the sources are credible, it doesn't mean it would actually happen -- look at Austin Rivers, who himself said he would decide in August but now says no. "Fact" 2 was reported in one place and disputed elsewhere in multiple places; it was shaky evidence at best. "Fact" 3 is irrelevant, even if it was true -- your evidence was the word of a recruiting website, which most would agree is not entirely credible -- if Marshall was interested in UNC and UNC wanted him, it only takes a few seconds to extend the offer so the "fact" that they hadn't done so already was meaningless. And as for "fact" 5, Duke lost Willie Dersch to UVa 15 years ago, and at least a few in K's tenure before that, and I'm not sure about since then. I do know that in the mid-90s, after Duke went to 7 Final Fours in 9 years, we lost a recruit to Colgate, so anything is possible.

So in my opinion, anyway, what you gave was questionable evidence but nothing that rose to the level of a fact (other than your absolutely true statement that both of Marshall's brothers play at Duke, though I already knew that before you told me).

jimrowe0
07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
K and staff are there watching.

PADukeMom
07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
K and staff are there watching.

You just made a rotten Monday bright & happy!

WiJoe
07-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Maybe he was in a slow foursome. on the the golf course, you oinkers.

airowe
07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe he was in a slow foursome. on the the golf course, you oinkers.

Haha. Roy is actually in Augusta along with just about every other college basketball coach in the country. It is very important to be seen in the stands for these prospects' games, and is a pretty big thing that neither unc nor Florida coaches were in attendance...

roywhite
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Haha. Roy is actually in Augusta along with just about every other college basketball coach in the country. It is very important to be seen in the stands for these prospects' games, and is a pretty big thing that neither unc nor Florida coaches were in attendance...

Thanks, airowe.

Somehow I can picture Ole Roy sneaking off to check out the Augusta National golf course rather than sitting around the gyms.

sdotbarbee
07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, I apologize if I offended you with my earlier post, but other than your #4 above, none of those things are facts. "Fact" 1 is an extrapolation of his brother and coach saying the decision would come "soon," and even if you think the sources are credible, it doesn't mean it would actually happen -- look at Austin Rivers, who himself said he would decide in August but now says no. "Fact" 2 was reported in one place and disputed elsewhere in multiple places; it was shaky evidence at best. "Fact" 3 is irrelevant, even if it was true -- your evidence was the word of a recruiting website, which most would agree is not entirely credible -- if Marshall was interested in UNC and UNC wanted him, it only takes a few seconds to extend the offer so the "fact" that they hadn't done so already was meaningless. And as for "fact" 5, Duke lost Willie Dersch to UVa 15 years ago, and at least a few in K's tenure before that, and I'm not sure about since then. I do know that in the mid-90s, after Duke went to 7 Final Fours in 9 years, we lost a recruit to Colgate, so anything is possible.

So in my opinion, anyway, what you gave was questionable evidence but nothing that rose to the level of a fact (other than your absolutely true statement that both of Marshall's brothers play at Duke, though I already knew that before you told me).

I am not going to argue with you anymore if you want to try and undermine everything I post that's fine. Bottom line I said he would be a Blue Devil soon and what was it 3 days later it happened. Fact #2 was not shaky evidence and unc was never really in the picture because they never made an offer, unc would rather have Cody Zeller just like I would.

sandinmyshoes
07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Rumor running from my UNC fans is that Austin says he hasn't heard from UNC in a couple of months. If it is down to us and UVA, then I feel really, really good about it.

And, the UNC types are saying that the lack of UNC attention isn't because they don't want Austin, but because they don't feel strong enough about their chances to waste time and resources on recruiting him. Evidently, Doc was more interested in UNC than his son was seems to be their take. FWIW

uh_no
07-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Rumor running from my UNC fans is that Austin says he hasn't heard from UNC in a couple of months. If it is down to us and UVA, then I feel really, really good about it.

And, the UNC types are saying that the lack of UNC attention isn't because they don't want Austin, but because they don't feel strong enough about their chances to waste time and resources on recruiting him. Evidently, Doc was more interested in UNC than his son was seems to be their take. FWIW

I think you've your recruits mixed up. Austin is deciding between UF and Duke, not UVA....that was Marshall

sandinmyshoes
07-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I think you've your recruits mixed up. Austin is deciding between UF and Duke, not UVA....that was Marshall

Actually, I just typed in the wrong school after having read the previous few posts. :o

Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit. Or not, since the edit button seems to disappear after someone else has posted. It's going to be one of those days, isn't it.

PADukeMom
07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Not counting today, there are 18 days left until it is offically August!

Was Slick Billy there?

SupaDave
07-12-2010, 02:34 PM

No need to edit b/c I thought this was pretty funny and intentional actually based on what Kedsy and Sdot are arguing about.

SilkyJ
07-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Was Slick Billy there?

I guess you missed Austin's latest diary entry where he said he wont be deciding in August and is more likely to decide in December.

Still, some on this board haven't ruled out the possibility of an August commitment.

G man
07-12-2010, 03:47 PM

I wonder why Doc "may" like UNC more. I wonder if it is a Paul Pierce thing. Either way I hope that he wants him just to look at the school and not sign on the dotted line for the bad guys.

uh_no
07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I wonder why Doc "may" like UNC more. I wonder if it is a Paul Pierce thing. Either way I hope that he wants him just to look at the school and not sign on the dotted line for the bad guys.

I hope Doc wants his son to do what his son thinks is best for him.......not push a decision on him based on what doc likes

airowe
07-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Was Slick Billy there?

Slick Billy was not reported to be there.

dcar1985
07-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Paul Pierce went to Kansas maybe u know something I dont though

airowe
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Paul Pierce went to Kansas maybe u know something I dont though

I'm guessing G Man was referring to the fact that Pierce played for both roy and Doc. Either way, it doesn't matter too much IMO.

sandinmyshoes
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I did not mean to imply that Doc Rivers liked UNC more than Duke. Only that he was, according to what I'm told, more interested in Austin checking out what it has to offer than Austin appears to have been inclined to do.

It does not appear to matter, as it looks like UNC has thrown in the towel on this one.

dcar1985
07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm guessing G Man was referring to the fact that Pierce played for both roy and Doc. Either way, it doesn't matter too much IMO.

yea i guess so, didnt even think about that

jimsumner
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
RE: Duke "never" losing a recruit to Virginia.

Bryant Stith says hello.

G man
07-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Yes I was referring to the connection between the coaching staff's not the university. Sorry I should have been a little clearer I assumed most knew Pierce played for Roy.

Orange&BlackSheep
07-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Stith is of course a good example, but in fairness that is well before the window that is being discussed.

MulletMan
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
1. John Wall - 123
2. Harrison Barnes - 107
3. Austin Rivers - 105

Keep it going gang! He could be the all time leader before his senior year even starts!:rolleyes:

MisterRoddy
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
1. John Wall - 123
2. Harrison Barnes - 107
3. Austin Rivers - 105

Keep it going gang! He could be the all time leader before his senior year even starts!:rolleyes:

Let's hope he starts a new trend is the first of the three that we actually get.

Duvall
07-12-2010, 06:03 PM
1. John Wall - 123
2. Harrison Barnes - 107
3. Austin Rivers - 105

He's already well on his way. I'm pretty sure the John Wall thread includes discussion of his freshman year at Kentucky.

Class of '94
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Not my intention to read too much into this, but does this mean that Doc might potentially favor UNC over Duke; or rather, he just wants to make sure Austin properly explores the other schools besides Duke (i.e. UNC) before making a decision in order to feel completely comfortable about his final decision.

Duvall
07-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Not my intention to read too much into this, but does this mean that Doc might potentially favor UNC over Duke; or rather, he just wants to make sure Austin properly explores the other schools besides Duke (i.e. UNC) before making a decision in order to feel completely comfortable about his final decision.

It's impossible to know, but I believe the latter is what Doc has said in the past.

sdotbarbee
07-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Bryant Stith says hello.

I think I said in the last 15 years, can you say hello to 1989?

SilkyJ
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM

I believe you did say that, but that's just molding data to fit your point. So if it happened in the last 15 years it matters but in the last 20 years it doesn't?

Duvall
07-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I believe you did say that, but that's just molding data to fit your point. So if it happened in the last 15 years it matters but in the last 20 years it doesn't?

It really isn't, though. When Bryant Stith committed to Virginia, it was by no means clear that Duke would have the superior program over the next two decades. UVa was the school with multiple recent appearances in the Final Four, not Duke. It was a different time.

That is by no means proof that no player would ever choose Virginia over Duke today. You never know when a recruit will connect with a coach or a school. But 2010 isn't 1987.

77devil
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
It really isn't, though. When Bryant Stith committed to Virginia, it was by no means clear that Duke would have the superior program over the next two decades. UVa was the school with multiple recent appearances in the Final Four, not Duke. It was a different time.

That is by no means proof that no player would ever choose Virginia over Duke today. You never know when a recruit will connect with a coach or a school. But 2010 isn't 1987.

The Ralph Sampson era was long gone. I think it was pretty clear to any recruit in the Fall of 1987 that the tide had definitively turned. Duke had won the last 9 games over 4 seasons and had had recurring big time recruiting success.

kong123
07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
FWIW

“I have an interest in a lot of schools right now,” Rivers said. “I’m not favoring anybody. You can ask my father, he doesn’t even know. I haven’t talked to anybody about where I’m going to go. People are always like ‘Oh you know where you’re going.’ I really honestly don’t know where I’m going. I haven’t thought about it.”

Newton_14
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Bryant Stith says hello.

There is another more recent one as well Jim. For the life of me I cannot recall his name and the UVA website has horrible historical data.

The kid was a guard from one of the local high schools in Durham. Hillside? He was recruited by Duke and UVA and chose the Hoo's. Ended up being a good player too.

I just cannot come up with the name. Hoping you could help.

As for Austin, I hate that he pushed it out. It gives unc more time to brainwash the kid. He still seems to be a Duke lean and if he had to choose today, Duke would likely be the choice.

However, he is not, so all the hand wringing in the world is not going to help a thing. We might as well relax, follow his development on the court, and read his diairies as they come out. Given that he changes his mind a lot, no inside source is going to be spot on at this point. It will come down to how he is feeling when he makes his final decision.

Kedsy
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I am not going to argue with you anymore if you want to try and undermine everything I post that's fine. Bottom line I said he would be a Blue Devil soon and what was it 3 days later it happened. Fact #2 was not shaky evidence and unc was never really in the picture because they never made an offer, unc would rather have Cody Zeller just like I would.

Whatever. By the way, I never said you were wrong about Marshall coming to Duke. I just said your reasoning was flawed.

tbyers11
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
There is another more recent one as well Jim. For the life of me I cannot recall his name and the UVA website has horrible historical data.

The kid was a guard from one of the local high schools in Durham. Hillside? He was recruited by Duke and UVA and chose the Hoo's. Ended up being a good player too.

As for Austin, I hate that he pushed it out. It gives unc more time to brainwash the kid. He still seems to be a Duke lean and if he had to choose today, Duke would likely be the choice.

However, he is not, so all the hand wringing in the world is not going to help a thing. We might as well relax, follow his development on the court, and read his diairies as they come out. Given that he changes his mind a lot, no inside source is going to be spot on at this point. It will come down to how he is feeling when he makes his final decision.

Are you referring to Courtney Alexander? I didn't follow recruiting real closely back then but I don't recall Duke being seriously involved for Alexander. I could be completely wrong on that point though.

Stray Gator
07-12-2010, 08:39 PM

What about Willie Dersch, who rejected Duke and chose Virginia in 1995--after Duke had won 2 national titles and been to 7 Final Fours in 9 seasons?

Newton_14
07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Are you referring to Courtney Alexander? I didn't follow recruiting real closely back then but I don't recall Duke being seriously involved for Alexander. I could be completely wrong on that point though.

Bingo! Thanks. I know Duke recruited him, but not sure how hard/seriously. I do agree with Kedsy and others though in that assuming a kid would not choose UVA over Duke is arrogant as heck.

kong123
07-12-2010, 08:52 PM

i think you are that other guy that was on here that argued with everyone and didn't know when to stop. the one who couldnt do the scholarship math? shouldn't you have learned your lesson before you started a new account?

roywhite
07-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Come on, Boozer; I thought you knew your hoops. :)

As tbyers indicates, you're probably thinking of Courtney Alexander. He certainly got around; check his http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Alexander bio.

I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself; Courtney attended high school in Monroe, CT, as did what former Blue Devil?

Wouldn't surprise me if Tony Bennett got things going at UVa; they've had success in the past, have a great arena, a first class university, and been down for a while.

Newton_14
07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Come on, Boozer; I thought you knew your hoops. :)

As tbyers indicates, you're probably thinking of Courtney Alexander. He certainly got around; check his http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Alexander bio.

I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself; Courtney attended high school in Monroe, CT, as did what former Blue Devil?

Wouldn't surprise me if Tony Bennett got things going at UVa; they've had success in the past, have a great arena, a first class university, and been down for a while.

Ah man, I am wrong again! Dang it. Can't be Alexander because the kid I remember (or can't remember) definitely went to high school in Durham.

So you now give me another challenge! I will think on that one.

Back to Austin, good to hear ol roy has backed off on the full court press. If in fact he has. I am shocked they are not represented at the Peach Jam. I would think if the heels really want Austin they would at least have Steve Robinson there.

Coach K thought it important enough to be there himself. Is Roy conceding on this one??:D

magjayran
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Ah man, I am wrong again! Dang it. Can't be Alexander because the kid I remember (or can't remember) definitely went to high school in Durham.

So you now give me another challenge! I will think on that one.

Back to Austin, good to hear ol roy has backed off on the full court press. If in fact he has. I am shocked they are not represented at the Peach Jam. I would think if the heels really want Austin they would at least have Steve Robinson there.

Coach K thought it important enough to be there himself. Is Roy conceding on this one??:D

Courtney Alexander went to Jordan High School for at least a year. An ex-girlfriend of mine tutored him and said he was a jerk (this was a couple of years after we broke up.)

roywhite
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Courtney Alexander went to Jordan High School for at least a year. An ex-girlfriend of mine tutored him and said he was a jerk (this was a couple of years after we broke up.)

Yeah, Courtney got around.

He was associated with:
2 high schools---in Monroe, CT and Jordan High in Durham
2 colleges---UVa and then Fresno, where he led the country in scoring
6 NBA teams counting trades

Heck, he may have run into Doc Rivers in his travels and met his son.

JaMarcus Russell
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
He was also arrested for assaulting his girlfriend while at UVA, and I think this led to his transfer to Fresno State, a program that took castaways from just about every major school.

If we were looking at him, I am glad he got away.

DukeBlueNV
07-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Dad Doc says Austin hasn't decided yet...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/12/doc-rivers-says-son-hasnt-decided/#more-36818

When asked about Rivers being seen in Duke gear:

Asked if that meant it was a done deal for Austin to Duke, Doc said, “It really doesn’t. He wears stuff all the time. He had a UCF shirt on yesterday so you just never know.

“They [Duke] are in it, there’s no doubt about it. And so is Florida though and probably a couple other schools. I just don’t think he knows right now.

“I thought there was a time when he was sure and now he’s not. Hell, I even ask him and he literally says, ‘I have no idea right now’ and that’s good.”

...honestly dont know if I buy it. Doc knows what to say to the media and I thats pretty much what I'd expect him to say with a tape recorder in his face. We are still the favs IMO. Also kinda interesting he didn't mention UNC in the same breath with Duke and FL and just threw them in with the "couple other schools" that are in the running.

Newton_14
07-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah, Courtney got around.

He was associated with:
2 high schools---in Monroe, CT and Jordan High in Durham
2 colleges---UVa and then Fresno, where he led the country in scoring
6 NBA teams counting trades

Heck, he may have run into Doc Rivers in his travels and met his son.

Thanks. So it was Alexander and it was Jordan High rather than Hillside. Someone else mentioned Willie Dersch as well. Point is, Duke can lose recruits to UVA, as they can to anybody. It happens.

But back to Austin. Beyond the rumor from heel boards, and the fact that unc is not in attendance at Peach Jam watching Austin, is there anything else pointing to unc not going hard after Austin?

I fully expected roy to go all in on Austin to try to steal him away. It will be interesting if we learn he has given up on Austin. The plot thickens indeed!

Class of '94
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/12/doc-rivers-says-son-hasnt-decided/#more-36818

...honestly dont know if I buy it. Doc knows what to say to the media and I thats pretty much what I'd expect him to say with a tape recorder in his face. We are still the favs IMO. Also kinda interesting he didn't mention UNC in the same breath with Duke and FL and just threw them in with the "couple other schools" that are in the running.

I'm curious as to the comments that Doc made about Austin appearing to be sure at what point about where he wanted to go; but now he's not. If that is true, I wonder what changed Austin's position from being fairly certain to now not knowing where he wants to go. I'm wondering if another coach(es) or even other players are whispering in his ear, trying to put doubt into going to Duke. That's nothing new and I feel really good about our standing with him; but it still makes me wonder........

FWIW, I don't think it's a coincidence that Coach K is personally at Peach Jam watching Austin as the fact that the staff is recruiting him hard right now. IMO, it shows that Austin isn't a done deal as of yet.

Kedsy
07-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm curious as to the comments that Doc made about Austin appearing to be sure at what point about where he wanted to go; but now he's not. If that is true, I wonder what changed Austin's position from being fairly certain to now not knowing where he wants to go. I'm wondering if another coach(es) or even other players are whispering in his ear, trying to put doubt into going to Duke. That's nothing new and I feel really good about our standing with him; but it still makes me wonder........

FWIW, I don't think it's a coincidence that Coach K is personally at Peach Jam watching Austin as the fact that the staff is recruiting him hard right now. IMO, it shows that Austin isn't a done deal as of yet.

We don't even know if Doc was talking about Duke or Florida. Or both, at different times. We'll know when we know.

deeejazzy
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks. So it was Alexander and it was Jordan High rather than Hillside. Someone else mentioned Willie Dersch as well. Point is, Duke can lose recruits to UVA, as they can to anybody. It happens.

Duke was recruiting them, but then we ran out of scholarships so they dont count.

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 08:00 AM

You were correct in predicting that MP3 would choose Duke over UVA, however the so called facts you use to support your prediction are not really facts at all. Other posters have pointed this out already. I do not think anyone has an issue with the content of your discussion, with the exception of the statement that no kid would “ever” choose UVA over Duke. That is very presumptuous and yes a bit arrogant. It most certainly could happen. Duke is our favorite school and although we may have a hard time understanding why someone would choose not to play ball here if they could, other folks have different perspectives and ideas about what they want out of a university.

Oh, and perhaps the last thing you might want to consider doing is picking an argument with Jim. He has forgotten more about ACC basketball than most of the collective body of this site has ever known.

uh_no
07-13-2010, 08:15 AM

So pretty much you don't like what you're hearing from Doc, so you're disregarding it.

Cockabeau
07-13-2010, 08:38 AM
IIRC,Bryant Stith was practically begging for a Duke offer. K just didn't bit and we lost out. So we didn't exactly lose him to UVA because Duke didn't offer. Will did lose out on Willie Dersch tho. Wasnt necessarily a bad thing tho hehehehh:)

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 08:49 AM
i think you are that other guy that was on here that argued with everyone and didn't know when to stop. the one who couldnt do the scholarship math? shouldn't you have learned your lesson before you started a new account?

Who are you talking about? I have had one account and it is this one, I am not trying to argue with everyone. I simply defended a guy that said MP3 would commit and then he said he wasn't worried that AR would commit as well, and a bunch of guys jumped on him and said he shouldn't post unless he has facts. I had facts that MP3 would commit and commit soon, but I could not say where I got the info from because it was a premium site. Now Kedsy and other people want to jump on me and say my facts aren't facts when they clearly were, I know for a fact that it was down to 3 schools but in all reality it was only down to 2 because unc never put an offer on the table. The only thing I said that wasn't a fact was a kid would choose Duke over UVa, and although that is not a fact I do believe in this day an age it would be very difficult for UVa to recruit over Duke. Could it happen, of course it could, I mean look at Beasley going to KSU just to follow his AAU coach there stuff like that happens. Bottom line is I was not trying to argue with anyone, but I posted to defend a guy I knew was right about MP3 and then I get bombarded by everyone even though I was right. Like I said before we are all Duke fans why are we fighting with each other? Well except for kong.

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 08:58 AM
You were correct in predicting that MP3 would choose Duke over UVA, however the so called facts you use to support your prediction are not really facts at all. Other posters have pointed this out already. I do not think anyone has an issue with the content of your discussion, with the exception of the statement that no kid would “ever” choose UVA over Duke. That is very presumptuous and yes a bit arrogant. It most certainly could happen. Duke is our favorite school and although we may have a hard time understanding why someone would choose not to play ball here if they could, other folks have different perspectives and ideas about what they want out of a university.

Oh, and perhaps the last thing you might want to consider doing is picking an argument with Jim. He has forgotten more about ACC basketball than most of the collective body of this site has ever known.

So I started picking an argument with Jim? I feel like I am in high school and all of the popular kids have their own clique and defend each other no matter what. Jim made a comment to me so I made a comment back clarifying the timeline, but okay I am picking on him.:rolleyes:

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Back to Austin, I heard that for his second game last night ole Roy was in attendance. I don't know how to read that unless he just wants to keep his foot in the door in case there is a chance he can Austin has a change of heart.

uh_no
07-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Back to Austin, I heard that for his second game last night ole Roy was in attendance. I don't know how to read that unless he just wants to keep his foot in the door in case there is a chance he can Austin has a change of heart.

or perhaps its that he's a coach recruiting an athlete, and when you are in such a situation, you generally show up at big games......especially when other coaches recruiting said athlete will also be in attendence

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
or perhaps its that he's a coach recruiting an athlete, and when you are in such a situation, you generally show up at big games......especially when other coaches recruiting said athlete will also be in attendence

So why was he not at the first game? This was discussed earlier in the thread that ole Roy or his staff wasn't there watching AR while coach K and his staff was.

sagegrouse
07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
[/U][/B]

So I started picking an argument with Jim? I feel like I am in high school and all of the popular kids have their own clique and defend each other no matter what. Jim made a comment to me so I made a comment back clarifying the timeline, but okay I am picking on him.:rolleyes:

Ah, you broke the code. DBR is about old guys and gals back in high school, reliving the pettiness that sustained our lives way back then. Not really, but it is an interesting hypothesis to consider.

sagegrouse

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Ah, you broke the code. DBR is about old guys and gals back in high school, reliving the pettiness that sustained our lives way back then. Not really, but it is an interesting hypothesis to consider.

sagegrouse

I just want to fit in and be one of the popular kids.;)

jimsumner
07-13-2010, 09:27 AM
"IIRC,Bryant Stith was practically begging for a Duke offer. K just didn't bit and we lost out. So we didn't exactly lose him to UVA because Duke didn't offer"

Bryant Stith was a priority recruit for Duke. K once told me that Chris Mullin and Bryant Stith were the two recruits he most regretted missing on. Duke absolutely offered Stith. Duke salivated over Bryant Stith.

FWIW, after missing on Stith, Duke signed its back-up target at that position, Brian Davis.

And Duke did not run out of scholarships on Willie Dersch.

DukeBlueNV
07-13-2010, 11:24 AM
So pretty much you don't like what you're hearing from Doc, so you're disregarding it.

Nope. He just knows what he's supposed to say when he's talking to the media.

Class of '94
07-13-2010, 11:30 AM
We don't even know if Doc was talking about Duke or Florida. Or both, at different times. We'll know when we know.

Good point.......I thought about that after I sent the post out.

Class of '94
07-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Or he heard that we, Duke fans, were talking about him not being there for the first game and possibly throwing in the towel; and his ego wouldn't allow him to admit defeat; so he showed up for the second game out of spite and defiance. Just my opinion. :)

Duke1994
07-13-2010, 12:15 PM
A: Mike Gminski

roywhite
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
A: Mike Gminski

That is the correct answer to my question of a Duke basketball player who attended the same high school in Connecticut as Courtney Alexander (who later transferred to Jordan High in Durham) did.

Both from Monroe, CT.

As mentioned in another thread, I hope we continue to see the G-man doing ACC games. He's a good analyst and also has a good sense of humor.

BD80
07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
... Somehow I can picture Ole Roy sneaking off to check out the Augusta National golf course rather than sitting around the gyms.

And I envision a unc assistant sitting in the stands holding a cardboard cutout of ol' roy, trying his best to make it seem like roy.

... Oh, and perhaps the last thing you might want to consider doing is picking an argument with Jim. He has forgotten more about ACC basketball than most of the collective body of this site has ever known.

You are NOT going to turn this into a contest about who has forgotten the most are you? I can't even remember how much I have forgotten!

IIRC,Bryant Stith was practically begging for a Duke offer. K just didn't bit and we lost out. So we didn't exactly lose him to UVA because Duke didn't offer. Will did lose out on Willie Dersch tho. Wasnt necessarily a bad thing tho hehehehh:)

Willie was going to be the next Chris Mullins. Missing on him was keenly felt.

BD80
07-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm curious as to the comments that Doc made about Austin appearing to be sure at what point about where he wanted to go; but now he's not. If that is true, I wonder what changed Austin's position from being fairly certain to now not knowing where he wants to go. ... IMO, it shows that Austin isn't a done deal as of yet.

Frankly, Austin should wait until next year to declare. If Kyrie, Seth, Mason and Miles stay, and Austin's priority is to showcase his skills, Duke might not be the best place to play. It sounds to me that Austin loves everything about Duke, the coaches, the players, the school, the facilities. But if Seth turns out to be a monster on the perimeter and he and Kyrie stick around, Austin may be discouraged by what he would view as limited playing time or a limited role on the team. If either Seth or Kyrie leave but the other stays, Austin would slide in to give us the best backcourt in basketball for the third year in a row :D

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
clintjackson1 Roy Williams watching Austin Rivers again right now, per Adam Powell of CarolinaBlue.com. Is it on or is it off? Confusing situation?!!
about 1 hour ago via web
Reply Retweet

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
AdamZagoria Austin Rivers poured in 35 points on 12 of 23 shooting but Each 1 Teach 1 falls to Georgia Stars, 74-72.
4 minutes ago via web

Duvall
07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Frankly, Austin should wait until next year to declare. If Kyrie, Seth, Mason and Miles stay, and Austin's priority is to showcase his skills, Duke might not be the best place to play.

Pretty sure Nolan Smith will declare for the draft after this season. That ought to open up a space in the rotation for a shooting guard no matter what anyone else does.

uh_no
07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Pretty sure Nolan Smith will declare for the draft after this season. That ought to open up a space in the rotation for a shooting guard no matter what anyone else does.

whether he does or doesn't declare, I'm pretty sure nolan smith will not be playing basketball at duke after he graduates......

johnb
07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
we've discussed this about other great players, but I'd have to think that anyone who's ranked among the top 3 players in the country and anticipates being a 1 and done player is not going to be scared of competition--plenty of teams play 3 guards, and if kyrie and seth are are all world AND stick around for 2011-12, then I'd imagine AR would think it'd be a place to create a dominating backcourt (with Andre) AND have great players against whom to practice every day.

CEF1959
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Who knows what goes on in the mind of an 18 year old? His girlfriend situation may have more influence than any of these micro-analytical points regarding this other player or that. I like the guy a lot and hope he comes to Duke. If not, OK. But I really hope he has more sense that to go to UK for a year. He doesn't need Cal to prep for the NBA, and that whole crew is bad news. He could win an NCAA title there and have it yanked, with crews of press following him around for comments for two years. I gotta believe he wants some semblance of an education.

I also hope he turns out to be mature enough for what comes next in his life. His actions in the past couple years of recruiting suggest ... er ... age-appropriateness for a teenager.

One thing I can say is that going to UNC would be tough for him after all the public love he's given Duke in the past year. You can't run from your quotes in this internet age.

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
"IIRC,Bryant Stith was practically begging for a Duke offer. K just didn't bit and we lost out. So we didn't exactly lose him to UVA because Duke didn't offer"

Bryant Stith was a priority recruit for Duke. K once told me that Chris Mullin and Bryant Stith were the two recruits he most regretted missing on. Duke absolutely offered Stith. Duke salivated over Bryant Stith.

FWIW, after missing on Stith, Duke signed its back-up target at that position, Brian Davis.

And Duke did not run out of scholarships on Willie Dersch.

and that is exactly why you should not pick an argument about Duke basketball with Jim...

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
and that is exactly why you should not pick an argument about Duke basketball with Jim...

Let it go... We finally got back on AR.:rolleyes:

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Let it go... We finally got back on AR.:rolleyes:

You're the one that wanted to be one of the popular kids. Just trying to help you fit in. :D

sdotbarbee
07-13-2010, 05:38 PM
You're the one that wanted to be one of the popular kids. Just trying to help you fit in. :D

That doesn't help me fit in, or become popular.:D

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 05:42 PM
clintjackson1 Roy Williams watching Austin Rivers again right now, per Adam Powell of CarolinaBlue.com. Is it on or is it off? Confusing situation?!!
about 1 hour ago via web
Reply Retweet

What is confusing?? Roy didn't show for one game. All of a sudden he is no longer in the hunt. Then he shows back up for the second game and he is back in the hunt? Confusing? Maybe, just maybe we are watching all this a little too closely and attributing significance to perfectly normal insignificant behavior from both Austin and the coaches. The one thing I would not be confused about is that Roy ain't going to give up until Austin signs and maybe not even then. :eek: Just saying....

kong123
07-13-2010, 05:56 PM
i personally do not think Roy is going to recruit Rivers hard. I think that AR will make his official visit and then Roy will reevaluate afterwards. Just like Duke, UNC is loaded at the 2 for the next couple of years. If anything, Roy just wants to keep him from going to Duke.

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
i personally do not think Roy is going to recruit Rivers hard. I think that AR will make his official visit and then Roy will reevaluate afterwards. Just like Duke, UNC is loaded at the 2 for the next couple of years. If anything, Roy just wants to keep him from going to Duke.

Interesting that you would say that. A lot of folks on the site have speculated that Roy recruits just to keep players from going to Duke, but to hear that from a tarheel is well... interesting.

How would he accomplish his goal if he didn't sign Austin? I mean what could he do or say that would turn AR off to Duke?

MisterRoddy
07-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Interesting that you would say that. A lot of folks on the site have speculated that Roy recruits just to keep players from going to Duke, but to hear that from a tarheel is well... interesting.

How would he accomplish his goal if he didn't sign Austin? I mean what could he do or say that would turn AR off to Duke?

I would think that it would come off as pathetic in the recruits mind if the only thing that the school recruiting you can do to sell their school, is put their rival school down. Could be just me though.

COYS
07-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I would think that it would come off as pathetic in the recruits mind if the only thing that the school recruiting you can do to sell their school, is put their rival school down. Could be just me though.

I agree. I also think it is extremely unlikely that top coaches hand out precious scholarships just to keep kids away from their rivals. The only scenario in which I could see something like this happening is if Roy Williams (or any other coach) had not properly evaluated Rivers (or a similar talent being recruited by any other rival school) but was alerted to Rivers' talent by the high profile recruitment of Rivers by coach K. In this day and age, it's hard to hide a top 5 recruit, so I would bet this pretty much never happens.

Class of '94
07-13-2010, 11:46 PM
I agree. I also think it is extremely unlikely that top coaches hand out precious scholarships just to keep kids away from their rivals. The only scenario in which I could see something like this happening is if Roy Williams (or any other coach) had not properly evaluated Rivers (or a similar talent being recruited by any other rival school) but was alerted to Rivers' talent by the high profile recruitment of Rivers by coach K. In this day and age, it's hard to hide a top 5 recruit, so I would bet this pretty much never happens.

I agree with everything you and MisterRoddy have said. But saying that, Kong still implied that Roy takes that tactic when it comes to Duke. I'm not saying Roy actually does it; but I, too, find it interested that a UNC supporter would make that conjecture.

MisterRoddy
07-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Here's a good article on Austin with some interesting quotes.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/14/after-loss-rivers-plans-to-calls-trio-of-coaches-peach-jam-stats-leaderboard/

Cockabeau
07-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Agree with other posters on here in that basically Roy is just trying to monkey up the Rivers to Duke thing. This is the way Roy operates,lol and to me it says alot.

kong123
07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
My point wasn't to bash Roy or insinuate that Roy would do something just to take away from Duke. I think UNC is OK at the 2 guard for the next couple of years. While Rivers maybe a great talent, he is likely only going to play college ball for only a year. UNC needs big men and hopefully the staff will make landing the best big players a priority over landing a superstar 2 guard. That's just my opinion, but if he is available and wants to come to UNC, I think Roy will take him. That was my point, not that Roy would negatively recruit against Duke. That was your slant on what I said and not what I was trying to say. IMHO, Rivers is not a priority for UNC. Roy is playing it cool, waiting for AR to visit CH. At that time, he will see just how serious AR is about coming to UNC and if there isn't much interest, then UNC will probably not make anymore plays for him. I doubt Roy wants to make a big play for a kid who appears to be a Duke lean. He doesn't want it to appear that he lost AR the same way K lost HB.

MisterRoddy
07-14-2010, 07:44 AM
My point wasn't to bash Roy or insinuate that Roy would do something just to take away from Duke. I think UNC is OK at the 2 guard for the next couple of years. While Rivers maybe a great talent, he is likely only going to play college ball for only a year. UNC needs big men and hopefully the staff will make landing the best big players a priority over landing a superstar 2 guard. That's just my opinion, but if he is available and wants to come to UNC, I think Roy will take him. That was my point, not that Roy would negatively recruit against Duke. That was your slant on what I said and not what I was trying to say. IMHO, Rivers is not a priority for UNC. Roy is playing it cool, waiting for AR to visit CH. At that time, he will see just how serious AR is about coming to UNC and if there isn't much interest, then UNC will probably not make anymore plays for him. I doubt Roy wants to make a big play for a kid who appears to be a Duke lean. He doesn't want it to appear that he lost AR the same way K lost HB.

Your earlier post disagrees with you :)

If anything, Roy just wants to keep him from going to Duke

moonpie23
07-14-2010, 07:45 AM
He doesn't want it to appear that he lost AR the same way K lost HB.

here's betting K doesn't show up at AR's house 15 min after roy leaves......

kong123
07-14-2010, 08:20 AM
here's betting K doesn't show up at AR's house 15 min after roy leaves......

you guys are just so angry

CDu
07-14-2010, 08:28 AM
you guys are just so angry

At least they didn't pretend to be fans of their hated rivals on a rival message board...

Oh well, water under the bridge on Barnes. Good luck to him in UNC. I'd have loved to have had him play for Duke, but I'll take our position over the next couple of years (I don't see him sticking around longer than that anyway), with a reasonable chance at Coach K picking up his fifth title during that time.

CEF1959
07-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Oh well, water under the bridge on Barnes. Good luck to him in UNC.

Whoa, let's not get carried away here. I wish him good luck in the NBA and in life, but NOT at UNC -- at least not on the court.

kong123
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
not sure if you guys have watched any of the Pro-Am footage of HB, but he is a much better 1 on 1 player than I thought he was. He also has great leaping ability.

Bullock's 1 on 1 game is also better than I thought. Having seen him play last year in the playoff's, I was disappointed he didn't take it to the hoop a bunch more. Growing up in Kinston, I graduated the year before Stackhouse transferred to Oak Hill. He was a monster in high school and took games over. Bullock waited for the game to come to him. That is good and bad, but watching him in the Pro-Am, he looks like a different player.

I think I would rather have him for 2 to 3 years than AR for 1.

Duke of Nashville
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
not sure if you guys have watched any of the Pro-Am footage of HB, but he is a much better 1 on 1 player than I thought he was. He also has great leaping ability.

Bullock's 1 on 1 game is also better than I thought. Having seen him play last year in the playoff's, I was disappointed he didn't take it to the hoop a bunch more. Growing up in Kinston, I graduated the year before Stackhouse transferred to Oak Hill. He was a monster in high school and took games over. Bullock waited for the game to come to him. That is good and bad, but watching him in the Pro-Am, he looks like a different player.

As we all learned from last year I believe it takes five players playing together to win the National Championship.

BD80
07-14-2010, 09:38 AM
...Bullock's 1 on 1 game is also better than I thought. ...

Wish granted.

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Being a one on one player translates better in the NBA then it does in college. Championships are not won in one on one battles, it takes a team that is willing to work together. I am not saying HB is not a hell of a player, because he is, I am saying it will take a lot more from HB being a team player to help your guys get back to the tourney. Well I guess your guys did make "a" tourney last year just not "the" tourney.;) But feel free in calling ole Roy and telling him to stop recruiting AR since you already have Bullock, it would not hurt my feelings at all.:D

kong123
07-14-2010, 10:21 AM
the interesting thing is, UNC did not have a player last year that could get their own shot. This year, they will have two. Last year UNC didn't have more than one player that could hit an open three, this year they will have 3.

Chemistry issues are maginfied by losing. I think this team will win many more games than they did last year and I think they will challenge for the ACC. The young guys on this team seem to really get along, from what I have read, and that will mean the world come fall. I have a feeling you guys will respect and fear this team a bit more come ACC play. HB is the real deal, but that's why K wanted him so bad.

kong123
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
FYI, from todays action at the Peach Jam

"10:05am -- Rivers finished with 28 pts (9-27 FG, 4-13 3pt, 6-11 FT), 2 ast, 4 reb, 2 stl.

Rivers said he is going to call Roy Williams after the Peach Jam (he didn't call him last night, as some speculated)"

28 points is nice, but 27 shots isn't.

roywhite
07-14-2010, 10:59 AM
FYI, from todays action at the Peach Jam

"10:05am -- Rivers finished with 28 pts (9-27 FG, 4-13 3pt, 6-11 FT), 2 ast, 4 reb, 2 stl.

Rivers said he is going to call Roy Williams after the Peach Jam (he didn't call him last night, as some speculated)"

Couldn't resist?

I don't recall that you passed along stat lines concering Rivers when he had a good game.

El_Diablo
07-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Off-nights happen for shooters. Kind of like when HB needed 17 shots to get 20 points at the JB Classic.* :)

*That was the same game in which Kyrie Irving abused Kendall Marshall for 22 points on 10 field goal attempts...and Marshall had 0 points and 6 turnovers. Here's a clip in case it slipped your mind:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kyrie-irving

Hopefully Marshall's ankles are healing well!

kong123
07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Couldn't resist?

I don't recall that you passed along stat lines concering Rivers when he had a good game.

you didn't read the part that was the most interesting, Rivers is going to call Roy. Looks like AR is really interested in being recruited by Roy. Up till this point, he hasn't heard from Roy or the coaching staff.

as far as the stat line, I have never seen an AR stat line to post, interesting that you would comment the first time that I do assuming that I am trying to point out a bias. His stat line from todays game looks like a stat line from a Kobe Bryant or a Dwayne Wade. Guys who sometimes take 30 shots to score 30 points. My post was an observation, yours is just an accusation.

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
you didn't read the part that was the most interesting, Rivers is going to call Roy. Looks like AR is really interested in being recruited by Roy. Up till this point, he hasn't heard from Roy or the coaching staff.

as far as the stat line, I have never seen an AR stat line to post, interesting that you would comment the first time that I do assuming that I am trying to point out a bias. His stat line from todays game looks like a stat line from a Kobe Bryant or a Dwayne Wade. Guys who sometimes take 30 shots to score 30 points. My post was an observation, yours is just an accusation.

I am pretty sure AR said he was going to call coach K, coach Donovan, and roy and thank them for coming out to watch and support. Every player has an off shooting night, I know last night at one point HB was 1-8 shooting, I don't know what the line ended up being but he didn't start off well.

Keep an eye out for UNC fail mixtape....pleeennttyy of material available for us to use here. Prince Harriet: 1-8...2 points. about 15 hours ago via web

* Retweet

airowe
07-14-2010, 11:35 AM

He has heard from them, and actually missed a phone call from roy while he was in San Antonio but still hasn't called him back.

Austin says a lot of things in the media that don't necessarily end up being true. Be careful hanging your hat on them.

Oh, and your insiders at IC Premium are very tuned into the program's happenings, that site is probably the best run team-specific recruiting site on the interwebs. However, I know for a fact they don't know a whole hell of a lot about where Rivers stands. There's a reason for that.

kong123
07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I am pretty sure AR said he was going to call coach K, coach Donovan, and roy and thank them for coming out to watch and support. Every player has an off shooting night, I know last night at one point HB was 1-8 shooting, I don't know what the line ended up being but he didn't start off well.

Keep an eye out for UNC fail mixtape....pleeennttyy of material available for us to use here. Prince Harriet: 1-8...2 points. about 15 hours ago via web

* Retweet

Team Stackhouse defeated Team McGladrey, 82-72.

Barnes -- 9-of-19 (3-of-8 3pt), 25 pts, 2 rebs

Bullock -- 13-of-20 (2-of-8 3pt), 30 pts, 2 ast, reb

Henson -- 4-of-6, 8 pts, 9 rebs, 3 blks

Hairston - 1-of-4 (0-of-3 3pt), 4 point

Watts - 2-of-2, 4 pts, reb, ast

Leslie -- 9-of-13 (1-of-3 3pt), 21 pts

Brown -- 6-of-10 (3-of-4 3pt), 15 pts

Harrow -- 5-of-12 (2-of-5 3pt), 13 pts

Smith -- 4-of-10, 8 pts

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM

From Adam Zagoria: AKA Zagsblog.
Despite the loss, Rivers said he planned to call Krzyzewski, who left Tuesday night on a private plane, Williams and Donovan after the game.

“I’ll give all three of them a call, probably talk to each one of them because they each came out and supported me,” Rivers said.

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Smith -- 4-of-10, 8 pts

So Leslie had a better game since he shot the ball better?

kong123
07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
So Leslie had a better game since he shot the ball better?

no, you completely missed my point. if you look at the shooting percentages HB was way more efficient than AR, but that is besides the point. Plus, if HB started 1 for 8 and finished 8 for 11, then he really turned it around at the end. The point is.... AR took 27 shots to score 28 pts. That is a ton of shots for one player and his team lost. Will K allow him to shoot the ball 27 times?

You guys are so defensive of AR much in the same way you were defensive of HB. If you don't get him, you will flip on him just like you did on HB, so temper your love for him, hate to see you guys get your heart broken again.:D

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
no, you completely missed my point. if you look at the shooting percentages HB was way more efficient than AR, but that is besides the point. Plus, if HB started 1 for 8 and finished 8 for 11, then he really turned it around at the end. The point is.... AR took 27 shots to score 28 pts. That is a ton of shots for one player and his team lost. Will K allow him to shoot the ball 27 times?

You guys are so defensive of AR much in the same way you were defensive of HB. If you don't get him, you will flip on him just like you did on HB, so temper your love for him, hate to see you guys get your heart broken again.:D

Well I didn't flip out when we lost HB, and you missed my point that Leslie outplayed HB because he was more efficient.

FWIW:Austin Rivers poured in 35 points on 12 of 23 shooting but Each 1 Teach 1 falls to Georgia Stars, 74-72. about 22 hours ago via web

* Retweet

Austin Rivers dropped in 29 points this morning as Each 1 Teach 1 routed Albany City Rocks (minus Dajuan Coleman), 85-65. 1:23 PM Jul 12th via web

* Retweet

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_highschool_varsity/2010/06/30/austin-rivers-scores-35-as-team-usa-defeats-canada/

DevilHorns
07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
If you don't get him, you will flip on him just like you did on HB, so temper your love for him, hate to see you guys get your heart broken again.:D

My heart does hurt. I admit it I've been crying for months now. I just wish we had a chance at the NIT tourney like UNC did. Man UNC went so far, so close. What a great year for them. Too bad we made that "other" tourney. Sigh. Well, at least we won it.

Exhibit A)
http://media.nj.com/college_basketball_blog/photo/dayton-north-carolina-nit-f5cdf12d243e2b56_large.jpg

Exhibit B)
http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/69180fb741214885acfde915d6c286d8.jpg

airowe
07-14-2010, 12:21 PM

I was at the game last night. There was very little defense being played and Barnes missed a number of wide open shots. He has been known tobe a high volume shooter with high point totals. Not only that, but he was playing with multiple other options on his team including two other 5 star recruits and a pro player in PJ Tucker.

Austin Rivers has little to no other talent on his team and is relied upon to carry the load in scoring. He knows this, his team knows this, and the other team knows this. This is why he was double teamed in the game in which cited his stats. Shooting percentages should not be looked at in a vacuum. Its really hard to prove a point when looking at two different games with two different levels of competition.

And as for the lecture part, you again have no idea the things that went on in that recruitment and are comparing bVarnes to Rivers, as if there's any correlation between the two other than the fact that they are highly rated basketball recruits. Spare us the lecture on how defensive we should be about recruits on a Duke message board. No one invited you here, nor is making you stay. Stop complaining about Duke fans defending the performance of Duke recruits and players.

airowe
07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh and kong, while you're over here passing judgement, why don't you post some of the comments about Austin when word came out that roy wasn't watching him in that first game and then the subsequent back tracking when roy was watching him in the second game. Maybe that will give us some perspective on how fans are supposed to act towards recruits.

Thanks in advance.

Duvall
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Smith -- 4-of-10, 8 pts

Team Stackhouse is surely a serious contender for the title of World Champions of Pickup Basketball.

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I was at the game last night. There was very little defense being played and Barnes missed a number of wide open shots. He has been known tobe a high volume shooter with high point totals. Not only that, but he was playing with multiple other options on his team including two other 5 star recruits and a pro player in PJ Tucker.

Austin Rivers has little to no other talent on his team and is relied upon to carry the load in scoring. He knows this, his team knows this, and the other team knows this. This is why he was double teamed in the game in which cited his stats. Shooting percentages should not be looked at in a vacuum. Its really hard to prove a point when looking at two different games with two different levels of competition.

And as for the lecture part, you again have no idea the things that went on in that recruitment and are comparing bVarnes to Rivers, as if there's any correlation between the two other than the fact that they are highly rated basketball recruits. Spare us the lecture on how defensive we should be about recruits on a Duke message board. No one invited you here, nor is making you stay. Stop complaining about Duke fans defending the performance of Duke recruits and players.

Zagsblog.com: Rivers struggled against a box-and-one, face-guarding defense and finished with a game-high 21 points on 3 of 12 shooting. He was 13 of 15 from the stripe.

This should further solidify your point, it would be hard for anyone to score and put up big numbers against a box and one especially when you know YOU have to be the one doing the scoring.

Cockabeau
07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Kong,what makes you think Barnes will stay longer than a year?

flyingdutchdevil
07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Kong,what makes you think Barnes will stay longer than a year?

The same reason that Kyrie may stay for another year - NBA lockout!

See - the NBA does indeed have it's benefits!

uh_no
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
]
Oh, and your insiders at IC Premium are very tuned into the program's happenings, that site is probably the best run team-specific recruiting site on the interwebs. However, I know for a fact they don't know a whole hell of a lot about where Rivers stands. There's a reason for that.

Contrast that with here are dbr, where some people just KNOW austin is coming to duke

oldnavy
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
the interesting thing is, UNC did not have a player last year that could get their own shot. This year, they will have two. Last year UNC didn't have more than one player that could hit an open three, this year they will have 3.
Chemistry issues are maginfied by losing. I think this team will win many more games than they did last year and I think they will challenge for the ACC. The young guys on this team seem to really get along, from what I have read, and that will mean the world come fall. I have a feeling you guys will respect and fear this team a bit more come ACC play. HB is the real deal, but that's why K wanted him so bad.

Last years team was something like 11-3 at one point? Seems to me that they should have been on top of the world and happy as clams. They lost because they were just not as good as they thought they were or as good as most everyone else thought they were. No leadership, no PG, no real inside game, no perimeter shooting. That is a lot of things to fix and to expect FRESHMEN to fix especially. Remember, all of the kids coming into ACC on scholorships were the best on their HS teams, it is a whole different animal when you face up against a Junior or Senior defender from an ACC school. I might just hold off on the predictions of how great these kids are going to be for a while. Besides, Ol Roy hasn't test driven his bus over any of them yet either! :eek:

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Contrast that with here are dbr, where some people just KNOW austin is coming to duke

Mr Positive strikes again.;) Are you sure you are not a unc fan?

CEF1959
07-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Austin says a lot of things in the media that don't necessarily end up being true. Be careful hanging your hat on them.

Anyone else have a funny feeling in the back of the mind regarding AR's maturity? On the one hand he's just an adolescent. On the other, he's been a little flighty in the recruiting process, and it's not like he doesn't have good strong grownups around him. Not sure. Just wondering....

oldnavy
07-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Anyone else have a funny feeling in the back of the mind regarding AR's maturity? On the one hand he's just an adolescent. On the other, he's been a little flighty in the recruiting process, and it's not like he doesn't have good strong grownups around him. Not sure. Just wondering....

Other than backing out of the verbal at UF, he seems to be pretty normal kid to me. His dad wanted him to take a look at other schools which makes good sense. The rest sounds like a normal 17(?)y.o. kid. I think sometimes we (I include myself here) forget these kids are just kids. I would hate to think of what I might have said in front of a microphone or camera at that age if given the opportunity. :eek:

mattman91
07-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I'm being serious when i say I could care less if we get him. He seems to be playin games with everyone. We are stacked with talented guards anyway. Nolan will be gone for sure next year and we will still have atleast Curry, Dawkins, and Thornton, Michael Gbinijie (sp), hell maybe even kyrie. Thats plenty of back court talent.

Austin seems a bit immature. Committing to a team, then changing his mind, then sayin he wants to be a one and done. He also said he was going to decide next month but now says he wont know until the spring. he just seems like he wants attention. Too much drama IMO.

CharlestonDevil
07-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Austin seems a bit immature. Committing to a team, then changing his mind, then sayin he wants to be a one and done. He also said he was going to decide next month but now says he wont know until the spring. he just seems like he wants attention. Too much drama IMO.

Even though I think AR will be a dominant college guard and would bring so much to our backcourt, look at the evidence of how wishy washy he is. Committing so early to UF, backing out of his verbal, setting a deadline for a committment, extending the deadline (tentatively), and now maybe not being so hot on Duke as he was a few weeks ago?

He's a kid, I get it. But this bothers me for one reason... he's going to tour Chapel Hill and get "blown away" by how "awesome" that place is. i.e. HB

-bdbd
07-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I'm being serious when i say I could care less if we get him. He seems to be playin games with everyone. We are stacked with talented guards anyway. Nolan will be gone for sure next year and we will still have atleast Curry, Dawkins, and Thornton, Michael Gbinijie (sp), hell maybe even kyrie. Thats plenty of back court talent.

While I understand the sentiment, can most of us honestly say w/o hesitation that we were much different at 16? Heck, I got into Duke early-admission, and decided to accept, even while I was still looking/applying to other (Ivy-type) schools. Being less than certain about your direction is NORMAL at that age, especially given the bright spotlight he's under. Can YOU imagine when you were a HS Junior having dozens/hundreds of media and fans pounce on you about hidden meanings if YOU made the "mistake" of wearing one college's clothes after a summer tounament game??? Geeez! I really don't know how these kids do it sometimes - so much pressure and attention so early. And dealing with big-time, older salesmen, er, coaches, is just daunting. Recall the 17-year-old HS football player told emphatically by a nationally famous D1 HC that he was "ruining his whole life, throwing it all away" by committing to another school?! I'd have been a total mess!

:rolleyes:

MChambers
07-14-2010, 01:32 PM

I'll go with whatever the coaching staff decides!

uh_no
07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
he's going to tour Chapel Hill and get "blown away" by how "awesome" that place is. i.e. HB

Don't be fooled. Harrison barnes was always a UNC lock. It might not have appeared that way, but consider these things:

he idolizes jordan. Its his dream, he thinks he IS the next jordan. For several years he listed his height at 2" SHORTER than he actually was just so he could be listed at the same height as jordan. his MIDDLE NAME is jordan, his mom taped MJ's games from 1987 through his retirement and showed them to harrison

barnes states that no one but UNC could put out pros like michael jordan

Bottom line, the kid thinks he's the next michael jordan, and we never had a real shot at him....he played us and the rest of his list like lebron played cleveland last week.....he always knew he was going to UNC

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Don't be fooled. Harrison barnes was always a UNC lock. It might not have appeared that way, but consider these things:

he idolizes jordan. Its his dream, he thinks he IS the next jordan. For several years he listed his height at 2" SHORTER than he actually was just so he could be listed at the same height as jordan. his MIDDLE NAME is jordan, his mom taped MJ's games from 1987 through his retirement and showed them to harrison

barnes states that no one but UNC could put out pros like michael jordan

Bottom line, the kid thinks he's the next michael jordan, and we never had a real shot at him....he played us and the rest of his list like lebron played cleveland last week.....he always knew he was going to UNC

I think we finally agree on something.

m g
07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
For several years he listed his height at 2" SHORTER than he actually was just so he could be listed at the same height as jordan.

how long do you think barnes has been 6'8? isn't he 18?

WiJoe
07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Spare us the lecture on how defensive we should be about recruits on a Duke message board. No one invited you here, nor is making you stay. Stop complaining about Duke fans defending the performance of Duke recruits and players.

Yowser! Well said!

How 'bout we invite him to STAY AWAY!?

CDu
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM

I think you're wasting a lot of typing on a guy who spent the beginning of his DBR posting career pretending to be a Duke fan. That just screams troll to me. It's hard to take anyone who does that very seriously from then on - especially in threads like this where he/she clearly is just trying to get a rise out of people.

That said, I agree with the things you said about Barnes v Rivers. There may or may not be similarities in ultimate outcome, but the two are different people and thus similarities should not be assumed.

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I think you're wasting a lot of typing on a guy who spent the beginning of his DBR posting career pretending to be a Duke fan. That just screams troll to me. It's hard to take anyone who does that very seriously from then on - especially in threads like this where he/she clearly is just trying to get a rise out of people.

Seriously, DON'T FEED THE TROLL, PEOPLE!!

Or if you feel like you have to reply, may I recommend ignoring everything the donkey said and simply post:

Duke University, National Champions 2010.

The best way to annoy people is to ignore them. Didn't you all go to kindergarten?

uh_no
07-14-2010, 02:56 PM
how long do you think barnes has been 6'8? isn't he 18?

he ate his wheaties.....what can I say.....

CDu
07-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Seriously, DON'T FEED THE TROLL, PEOPLE!!

Or if you feel like you have to reply, may I recommend ignoring everything the donkey said and simply post:

The best way to annoy people is to ignore them. Didn't you all go to kindergarten?

And for added affect: Coach K has as many NCAA championships as Roy and Dean combined.

uh_no
07-14-2010, 03:06 PM
And for added affect: Coach K has as many NCAA championships as Roy and Dean combined.

and that next year at this time he'll have as many as UNC has in their entire history

oldnavy
07-14-2010, 03:07 PM

Ouch!! That has gotta hurt. Remember how smug they used to be over on the hill....? I do. I honestly never thought that I would live long enough to see this, what growing up during Dean's prime and Duke's nadir... life is good!!

kong123
07-14-2010, 03:07 PM

That said, I agree with the things you said about Barnes v Rivers. There may or may not be similarities in ultimate outcome, but the two are different people and thus similarities should not be assumed.

It really works out well for me that I could careless what you think about me. You dislike me because I have a different opinion than yours and you want me to go away because of that. What does that say about you? I think my opinion is actually welcomed here by many people, especially when it is on topic. Threads that UNC fans post in tend to be the threads that get the most replies. That's good for the website and it adds to the enjoyment of the site. For both of us. I imagine you guys would get pretty bored over here if everyone agreed and you all huddled up next to the fire to keep each other warm.

As far as why I pretended to be a Duke fan, I actually started out as a UNC fan but quickly got banned. I do not remember why I got banned, but I really didn't say anything to warrant it. So, I created a new account and came back as a Duke lean so that I could read what the other guys were saying. After a while my true colors came out. Didn't intend to stay on the site as long as I have, but I am still here. I enjoy it here. However, if the mods want me gone, I will leave...no big deal. Do not think I have done anything to warrant being banned unless having a differing opinion is against the rules.

jipops
07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
It really works out well for me that I could careless what you think about me. You dislike me because I have a different opinion than yours and you want me to go away because of that. What does that say about you? I think my opinion is actually welcomed here by many people, especially when it is on topic. Threads that UNC fans post in tend to be the threads that get the most replies. That's good for the website and it adds to the enjoyment of the site. For both of us. I imagine you guys would get pretty bored over here if everyone agreed and you all huddled up next to the fire to keep each other warm.

As far as why I pretended to be a Duke fan, I actually started out as a UNC fan but quickly got banned. I do not remember why I got banned, but I really didn't say anything to warrant it. So, I created a new account and came back as a Duke lean so that I could read what the other guys were saying. After a while my true colors came out. Didn't intend to stay on the site as long as I have, but I am still here. I enjoy it here. However, if the mods want me gone, I will leave...no big deal. Do not think I have done anything to warrant being banned unless having a differing opinion is against the rules.

Ok, don't think yourself some kind of pied piper. There is plenty of disagreement amongst Duke fans themselves so it's not like a rival fan is what is generating the most discussion.

Turtleboy
07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Do not think I have done anything to warrant being banned unless having a differing opinion is against the rules.If lying about who you are isn't against the rules it should be. As well as creating a new account to get around a banning.

uh_no
07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I actually started out as a UNC fan but quickly got banned.

There are actually quite a few members on this board who aren't duke fans....I seem to recal one particular maryland fan and several UNC fans with whom civil discourse has taken place......the fact that they exist, and the fact that you have already been banned (and the mods on this board are usually quite fair in my opinion in doling out points) would seem to indicate that the problem has nothing to do with your fandom but by your persona

it is perposterous to me why one would even pretend to try to be a fan....especially on a site such as this where any fans are generally accepted so long as they make good conversation

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 03:25 PM
As well as creating a new account to get around a banning.

It is against the rules.

Kedsy
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
the fact that they exist, and the fact that you have already been banned (and the mods on this board are usually quite fair in my opinion in doling out points) would seem to indicate that the problem has nothing to do with your fandom but by your persona

Kong seems like a decent guy and most of his posts appear to be well thought out. Yeah, he tweaks the Duke faithful every now and again but so what? Give the guy a break.

oldnavy
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM

I like having Kong around. He is no more annoying than any other UNC fan, and I should be an expert, I married one and begat another! :p

soccerstud2210
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I like having Kong around. He is no more annoying than any other UNC fan, and I should be an expert, I married one and begat another! :p

how devastating is that????? :eek: :)

oldnavy
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
how devastating is that????? :eek: :)

Ahhh, the things you will endure for love! :rolleyes:

duke09hms
07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah for real, what's a rivalry without some good-natured ribbing? I think we can all cut kong some slack, especially when some regulars like duketaylor make unfounded statements but are okay since they're duke fans. Speaking of, where is duketaylor these days hehe?

But it would be nice to win a top recruit away from UNC. Let's get back on topic please.

sdotbarbee
07-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Austin Rivers: 25.2 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 2.2 APG, 41%FG, 68% FT, 37% 3-FG, 2.6 TO. His Peach Jam stats.

_Gary
07-14-2010, 03:38 PM
It really works out well for me that I could careless what you think about me.

Not that I don't make plenty of vocab and spelling errors myself, but I feel compelled to point out that you probably meant to say you couldn't care less, not that you could care less. Just sayin'... :D

CrazieDUMB
07-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah for real, what's a rivalry without some good-natured ribbing? I think we can all cut kong some slack, especially when some regulars like duketaylor make unfounded statements but are okay since they're duke fans.

For serious, people. 82-50. NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. This is the absolute best time to have UNC fans to talk to. :D

shoutingncu
07-14-2010, 03:46 PM

That would sting more if 2009 didn't read our name. Now if 2011 goes your way...

and that next year at this time he'll have as many as UNC has in their entire history

He also has as many as Duke has in their entire history. For a coach that teaches that team is more than the sum of its parts, I'm not convinced that Duke will be greater than the sum of its coach.

But landing Austin will certainly benefit either program.

uh_no
07-14-2010, 03:56 PM
He also has as many as Duke has in their entire history. For a coach that teaches that team is more than the sum of its parts, I'm not convinced that Duke will be greater than the sum of its coach.

Must be tough having two coaches who care more about kansas than they do about UNC......

DukeBlueNV
07-14-2010, 04:03 PM
http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1102836

So apparently cal and austin have had a convo (which i didnt know) and rivers seems to be interested in what cal does with Knight, a former teammate getting ready to start playing in his system. article did seem to hint that duke is still the leader for his services. His aau coach made a comment hinting at one made by our buddy on the hill, Mr. Strickland about Coach K's possible effect on Kyrie's game and apparently they want to see how Irving plays in coach K's system.

CDu
07-14-2010, 04:30 PM

I'm glad you don't care what I think of you. I feel the same about your opinion of me (and everyone else on a message board). I'd rather be liked than disliked, but I won't be heartbroken if someone I don't know on a message board doesn't like me.

However, a few notes:
1) you have incorrectly assessed why I don't care for some of your posts. I don't have a problem with people with different opinions. I have a problem with people trolling on other team's boards. I have had plenty of reasonable debates with UNC fans on here and elsewhere, so long as neither side trolls. I'm sorry that you don't appear to understand that distinction.
2) you don't have to have an account to read what other fans are saying on this board, so I'm not sure about your logic there. There was never a reason to pretend to be a Duke fan.
3) there are plenty of UNC fans who post and haven't been banned, so I'm guessing you did something to earn a ban
4) There is plenty of disagreement on this board without trolling. Or have you not seen plenty of debate here among the Duke fans?

G man
07-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Think about how old he was when he made his original commitment. Could any of us even figure out what girl to try and take out on a weekend at that age? Not to mention where you are going to develop into a lottery pick. It is a tough choice.

uh_no
07-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Think about how old he was when he made his original commitment. Could any of us even figure out what girl to try and take out on a weekend at that age? Not to mention where you are going to develop into a lottery pick. It is a tough choice.

100% agree...i'm closer than most people on this board to being a sr in HS, and I remember how much i was absolutely positively sure I was going to Penn...I bought a shirt and thought I was just visiting duke as a formality.....and obviously the penn thing didn't work out....does that make me immature?

NO

it makes me 17....add in the fact that bball players have to worry about which fan base they want to be putting pressure on them during their time in school.....i'm suprised more players don't waffle as much

in fact, I wish more players would just openly talk about their feelings rather than keeping it all secret.....but none of them will for fear of having to change their mind and be considered immature

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Kong seems like a decent guy and most of his posts appear to be well thought out.

Really?! You must have missed this exchange.

My point wasn't to bash Roy or insinuate that Roy would do something just to take away from Duke.

Your earlier post disagrees with you :)

If anything, Roy just wants to keep him from going to Duke.

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 05:42 PM
That would sting more if 2009 didn't read our name. Now if 2011 goes your way...

Don't forget your 2010 NIT Runner-Up banner, which is undoubtedly hanging somewhere in the dean dome.

For a coach that teaches that team is more than the sum of its parts, I'm not convinced that Duke will be greater than the sum of its coach.

We don't normally sum singular entities.

SupaDave
07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Oh we know who he is... He has come a long way.

Kedsy
07-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Really?! You must have missed this exchange.

I said "most," not "all."

wilko
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Didn't intend to stay on the site as long as I have, but I am still here. I enjoy it here. However, if the mods want me gone, I will leave...no big deal. Do not think I have done anything to warrant being banned unless having a differing opinion is against the rules.

I think you are ok.

Having a different view point is fine.
You just have to remember the VAST majority your audience disagrees with you and it is unlikely that you will ever "win" many Pro-UNC points. AND when its your turn to pick up the soap (as its OUR house) take it like man and not some whiny Lil' B.

UrinalCake
07-14-2010, 08:59 PM
rivers seems to be interested in what cal does with Knight, ... and apparently they want to see how Irving plays in coach K's system.

This is interesting... is it because Rivers thinks that these players will still be around in 2011? Or because Rivers seems himself as a similar player to these two and wants to see how he himself would be used by either coach?

amazinballer323
07-14-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't know if any other people have had the same experience with Carolina fans that I have, but living in California, I'm a diehard Dukie and it seems like everyone else is or wants to be a UNC fan. They're all frontrunners though, who will tell me when Duke loses in the tournament and how great Carolina is when they win it all, but outside of that they don't watch a game. Given this view of Carolina "fans" I've come to hate them all, regardless of whether I should or not. The only thing I hate more than Carolina fans is those who hop bandwagons and don't actually watch games or keep up with a team in any sport.

Maybe others here have had the same experience, and I don't know if any Dukies head over to the Inside Carolina board or anything like that, but comments like Roy wants to keep him away from Duke could be posted there

DukeBlueNV
07-14-2010, 09:35 PM
This is interesting... is it because Rivers thinks that these players will still be around in 2011? Or because Rivers seems himself as a similar player to these two and wants to see how he himself would be used by either coach?

sounded to me he views those players games' as being similar to his own and he wants to see how they perform in cal's/k's system.

**glad to be talking about Rivers in the AUSTIN RIVERS thread...

jimsumner
07-14-2010, 09:42 PM
"I'm a diehard Dukie and it seems like everyone else is or wants to be a UNC fan. They're all frontrunners though, who will tell me when Duke loses in the tournament and how great Carolina is when they win it all, but outside of that they don't watch a game"

Not to be argumentative but if they're all frontrunners, wouldn't they be Duke fans? Or does news just travel slow out west?

Newton_14
07-14-2010, 09:46 PM

So apparently cal and austin have had a convo (which i didnt know) and rivers seems to be interested in what cal does with Knight, a former teammate getting ready to start playing in his system. article did seem to hint that duke is still the leader for his services. His aau coach made a comment hinting at one made by our buddy on the hill, Mr. Strickland about Coach K's possible effect on Kyrie's game and apparently they want to see how Irving plays in coach K's system.

So this is comical to me. We learned mid-year last year that Mr. Strickland could not even comprehend his own team's "system" after "Practice 51", yet he somehow know's K;s system well enough to determine it would hamper Kyrie's game. That is beyond hilarious. Of course we also learned in the 82-50 game that Mr Strickland surely did not know enough about K's "system" to defend it very well..

Then we have the AAU coach who likely knows even less about K's "system" than Mr. Strickland does, yet Austin is going to take both of their "expert opinion's" serious and evaluate closely how Kyrie performs in K's "system".

Amazing what one can learn on the interwebs these days! All of these fancy "systems" like Dribble Drive Motion, that 99% of those who use that term have no idea in hell what it means..

Never mind that the only "system" K has is actually a DEFENSIVE "System". For offense he creates a new one practically every year to match the talent on hand..

Whatever "system" K comes up with for this year's offense won't clue anyone in very much on how he would use Austin since Austin and Kyrie have entirely different skillsets.. and there would be no Nolan Smith and no Kyle Singler on a team Austin would play on..

But I digress...:rolleyes:

jimsumner
07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Krzyzewski's system certainly handicapped Johnny Dawkins, Bobby Hurley, Jason Williams and Chris Duhon.

Bob Green
07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Whatever "system" K comes up with for this year's offense won't clue anyone in very much on how he would use Austin since Austin and Kyrie have entirely different skillsets.. and there would be no Nolan Smith and no Kyle Singler on a team Austin would play on..

But I digress...:rolleyes:

You've managed to break three major internet message board rules in one post:

1. Utilizing logic
2. Utilizing common sense
3. Failing to inundate your post with numbers such as "the 1" and "the 2" or use descriptive language such as "point guard" versus "combo guard."

How do you expect us to take your post seriously?

MisterRoddy
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Don't forget K's system hampering the mood of 4 National Titles.

Class of '94
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM

Austin's AAU coach is starting to receive payments from Cal; and he's trying to steer Austin to KY.....:) Sorry, couldn't resist......

roywhite
07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
This whole concept is a little hard to swallow. Austin is supposedly thinking something to the effect of:

Well, Duke won the title last year and I know they've got some dynamic players coming in to team up with 2 potential All-Americans.
Will Coach K be able to get a good system for these guys?
I'll need to see how he does with this group before I decide to go there?

Bluedevil114
07-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I guess Cal's system gets you five guys drafted in the first round. Four of which would have been drafted in the first round if there was no one and done rule.

K's system is about to win us five national championships.

You decide which system is better. If you ask Cal he would say getting 5 players drafted is the best thing that ever happened to Kentucky.

You make the call. I thought the object was to develop players and win a National Championship.

I may have this whole thing wrong.:D

amazinballer323
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
"I'm a diehard Dukie and it seems like everyone else is or wants to be a UNC fan. They're all frontrunners though, who will tell me when Duke loses in the tournament and how great Carolina is when they win it all, but outside of that they don't watch a game"

Not to be argumentative but if they're all frontrunners, wouldn't they be Duke fans? Or does news just travel slow out west?

I said frontrunners I didn't know the correct term. Maybe that they hop on and off the bandwagon. They say they like UNC, but don't say anything or show any interest until April and if Carolina is still playing

Bluedevil114
07-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I said frontrunners I didn't know the correct term. Maybe that they hop on and off the bandwagon. They say they like UNC, but don't say anything or show any interest until April and if Carolina is still playing

All I do with these bandwagon fans is play the name game.

For Carolina fans I simply ask them to name six players currently on the team. If they can do that then I believe they are a fan.

For so called Cowboy fans I simply ask them to name 11 starters either side of the ball.

For so called Yankee fans I simply ask them to name their in field.

This truely determines whether they are a fans of a team or just bandwagon fans that wear the colors of a team because they are popular.

BD80
07-14-2010, 11:33 PM

Ouch.

I can see marrying one. Nearly went down a similar path, but we broke up over a Duke/unc game.

Begatting one. Ooooh. I don't know. I know you shouldn't blame yourself, but really, how?

I think I would tell people my son is a crack whore before I would admit that he was a carolina fan.

But then, I'm a lawyer, so, comparatively, a crack whore ain't that bad.

SupaDave
07-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Ouch.

I can see marrying one. Nearly went down a similar path, but we broke up over a Duke/unc game.

Begatting one. Ooooh. I don't know. I know you shouldn't blame yourself, but really, how?

I think I would tell people my son is a crack whore before I would admit that he was a carolina fan.

But then, I'm a lawyer, so, comparatively, a crack whore ain't that bad.

Ok - calling your seed a crack whore is just plain funny. It can happen though - my youngest sibling out of five us somehow decided he was a UNC fan. I blame it on NC's school system and his lack of a jump shot - oh and the fact that this cocky little bastard thought he was good enough to dribble the ball through my legs (he's 14 and I'm much much better than him).

amazinballer323
07-15-2010, 01:32 AM
All I do with these bandwagon fans is play the name game.

For Carolina fans I simply ask them to name six players currently on the team. If they can do that then I believe they are a fan.

For so called Cowboy fans I simply ask them to name 11 starters either side of the ball.

For so called Yankee fans I simply ask them to name their in field.

This truely determines whether they are a fans of a team or just bandwagon fans that wear the colors of a team because they are popular.

I do the same.

When one of these fans came up to me a month ago and said hey North Carolina got some guy who's number 1 recruit, I almost threw up

shoutingncu
07-15-2010, 02:57 AM
You decide which system is better. If you ask Cal he would say getting 5 players drafted is the best thing that ever happened to Kentucky.

You make the call. I thought the object was to develop players and win a National Championship.

For a coach, yes. For a kid that's said he hopes to be one-and-done, his answer might be different...

oldnavy
07-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Ok - calling your seed a crack whore is just plain funny. It can happen though - my youngest sibling out of five us somehow decided he was a UNC fan. I blame it on NC's school system and his lack of a jump shot - oh and the fact that this cocky little bastard thought he was good enough to dribble the ball through my legs (he's 14 and I'm much much better than him).

I was gone a fair bit during his most formative years so his mom had him to herself and I guess just brain washed him! He is a great kid however so I am very proud of him despite his one glaring shortcoming. I think it is more fun for him to be a tarheel, that way I can argue with him, get him all hacked off and still get to sleep in my bed. Not so much with his mom! Oh, and yes he can beat the mess out of me one on one. Started when he was about 14. He has a pretty good game.

BD80
07-15-2010, 07:20 AM
I was gone a fair bit during his most formative years so his mom had him to herself and I guess just brain washed him! ...

Wow. That really brings home the depth of the sacrifice our military makes in defense of our country. Seriously.

There are statutes that protect a serviceman's possessions when called to duty, and others that protect his (or her) parenting rights. Isn't there something our country can do to make this right? Maybe send him to Coach K's summer camp? Lock him in a gym for a weekend with Wojo and Nate? Can we beat the devil INTO him? If he is such a good kid, it just can't be too late!

oldnavy
07-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Wow. That really brings home the depth of the sacrifice our military makes in defense of our country. Seriously.

There are statutes that protect a serviceman's possessions when called to duty, and others that protect his (or her) parenting rights. Isn't there something our country can do to make this right? Maybe send him to Coach K's summer camp? Lock him in a gym for a weekend with Wojo and Nate? Can we beat the devil INTO him? If he is such a good kid, it just can't be too late!

Well, I did get him to a Duke game two years ago, that was a minor breakthrough! Before he wouldn't even look into Cameron when we were there for a Cancer fundraiser the year before! I actually got him to admit that he thought CIS was "pretty cool" and more exciting than the Dean Dome. It does help that my 19 year old has been to several games with me and is a Duke fan. So, we split the pair. Sad thing is my oldest is just not into team sports that much. He is a musician, and has a black belt, and two brown belts in three different marshal art styles. He can kick my butt (literally) in a street fight, but I can still take him on the basketball court!! When I have the energy to play. :D

UrinalCake
07-15-2010, 10:53 AM
You've managed to break three major internet message board rules in one post:

1. Utilizing logic
2. Utilizing common sense
3. Failing to inundate your post with numbers such as "the 1" and "the 2" or use descriptive language such as "point guard" versus "combo guard."

How do you expect us to take your post seriously?

Yes, and you, Mr. Green, broke rule number 4

4. Failing to use a smiley face after a sarcastic comment

Which means it is almost a guarantee that someone will take your post literally and get all bent out of shape about it.

Oh, I almost forgot, :)

Bob Green
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, and you, Mr. Green, broke rule number 4

4. Failing to use a smiley face after a sarcastic comment

Which means it is almost a guarantee that someone will take your post literally and get all bent out of shape about it.

Oh, I almost forgot, :)

It is like when someone post pointing out a different poster's spelling mistakes - odds favor them spelling a word wrong. But you're 100 percent correct in that I was agreeing with Boozer in a sarcastic manner and forgot to add the proper smiley.

Better late than never :rolleyes:

_TheFakeJWill_
07-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Am i the only person here that checks this sight (way to many times a day) and sees the "Austin Rivers thread" at the top every time, and when clicked on it there is never any new news? I really wish he would commit already or people would actually post stuff worth reading :confused:

DevilHorns
07-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Am i the only person here that checks this sight (way to many times a day) and sees the "Austin Rivers thread" at the top every time, and when clicked on it there is never any new news? I really wish he would commit already or people would actually post stuff worth reading :confused:

We're only on page 113. At least 40 more pages until someone drops something in terms of recruiting relevance (ie, until Austin actually commits).

Enjoy the ride.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-15-2010, 05:20 PM
We're only on page 113. At least 40 more pages until someone drops something in terms of recruiting relevance (ie, until Austin actually commits).

Enjoy the ride.

lol i know right.... well it could be worse i could be a UNC fan or something *stay positive, stay positive*

hudlow
07-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I was thinking we could get that octopus that picked the World Cup winners to show us what school Rivers was going to pick.

This is getting Lebronesque.

hud

CEF1959
07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
lol i know right.... well it could be worse i could be a UNC fan or something *stay positive, stay positive*

This is why forum members should not make fun of a certain NC State player, whose in-class struggles with the English language were publicized with much derision here.

SupaDave
07-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Does anyone else see the irony in this post?

uh_no
07-16-2010, 01:44 PM

I only intend to respond to you so that next time he comes to this SIGHT way TO many times a day, this thread will be at the top without any new info or a commitment

SilkyJ
07-16-2010, 01:47 PM

I did but didn't want to be part of the S/N problem so I didn't....oh well...tis the off season!

DreAllDay
07-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Here's some newer AR footage. Sorry if this has already been posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQnsXnvHwY

roywhite
07-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Here's some newer AR footage. Sorry if this has already been posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQnsXnvHwY

Thanks for the video link; very enjoyable to watch.

It's nice to be reminded every so often just what the fuss is about; what an impressive scorer Austin is.