PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Osiagledknarf
05-19-2010, 08:29 PM
this is embarrassing.

also, I imagine if Rivers is successfully recruited, there will be a transfer or two.

How is it embarassing? This is one thing I have gotten wrong. Get over it.

airowe
05-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Yes, they CAN offer Rivers even if both Knox and Jack commit to UNC. You don't have a limit on the number of offers you can have out at any time. You only have a limit on the number of scholarships given out in any given year. Knox will be a senior next year, and thus will be out of the picture by the time Rivers sets foot on campus. So at the very least, there will be a scholarship available when Rivers would be arriving. Therefore, there is no problem at all for UNC to offer Rivers a scholarship now.

Technically, they could still extend an offer Rivers right now even if they didn't have a scholarship to offer for the 2011-2012 season. I'm pretty sure Kentucky did this just last year. This could be considered poor form, but they could do it. There's no reason you can't have more guys committed than you have scholarships. You just have to figure out a way to either get rid of players (which is what Calipari did, or could be accomplished by early-entry) or take scholarships away from players (which would be really mean).

Since Knox is off the books either way, this last paragraph is irrelevant. But there is absolutely nothing that prevents UNC from offering Rivers a scholarship right now. And if Rivers wanted to do so (let's hope he doesn't want to), there's nothing in the rules preventing him from accepting such an offer.

Here's hoping that it becomes a moot point and Rivers commits to Duke anyway!

Austin has a scholarship offer from unc. But he will not accept it.

Osiagledknarf
05-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Austin has a scholarship offer from unc. But he will not accept it.

Where do you read that he has been offered by UNC? Before the Wears transferred, they did not have a scholarship to offer Rivers. And I have not read anything that he has been offered by UNC.

borodevil16
05-19-2010, 08:59 PM
What dont you understand about they can offer him whenever they want. The wears transferring doesnt matter.

Osiagledknarf
05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
What dont you understand about they can offer him whenever they want. The wears transferring doesnt matter.

Did you just read what I wrote? I said that they couldn't offer him before the Wears transferred, now they can.

borodevil16
05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by CDu
Yes, they CAN offer Rivers even if both Knox and Jack commit to UNC. You don't have a limit on the number of offers you can have out at any time. You only have a limit on the number of scholarships given out in any given year.

Understand?

Osiagledknarf
05-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by CDu
Yes, they CAN offer Rivers even if both Knox and Jack commit to UNC. You don't have a limit on the number of offers you can have out at any time. You only have a limit on the number of scholarships given out in any given year.

Understand?

But that is not what I meant at all... What I meant was in this situation is that when the Wears were at UNC, they did not have any scholly's for 2011 at THAT POINT. Now they do, but I have not seen anything about Rivers being offered by UNC at any point since the Wears transferred. Airowe made the statement that they have done so.

Do you understand now?

borodevil16
05-19-2010, 09:10 PM
There isnt a limit on offers. You could offer everyone if you wanted no matter how many people were on you roster

kong123
05-19-2010, 09:11 PM
But that is not what I meant at all... What I meant was in this situation is that when the Wears were at UNC, they did not have any scholly's for 2011 at THAT POINT. Now they do, but I have not seen anything about Rivers being offered by UNC at any point since the Wears transferred. Airowe made the statement that they have done so.

Do you understand now?

Friend, quit while you are ahead. You are not winning this discussion. You are wrong and it is time you give up.

I have read that not only is UNC looking at Rivers, but they also plan to offer another scholarship to a big like Cody Zeller or Anthony Davis.

WiJoe
05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
how is it embarassing?

because

you

are

so

wrong;

spelling,

to.

Osiagledknarf
05-19-2010, 09:18 PM
There isnt a limit on offers. You could offer everyone if you wanted no matter how many people were on you roster

I feel like banging head against a wall. You can't offer something you don't have, okay? When the Wears were commited, they were out of scholarships for the 2011 recruiting class as of right then and there. Could that of changed at the end of the year with transfers and people leaving via the draft, sure. But at that time they could not offer anyone from the 2011 class. They can now. You have a scholarship limit.

kong123
05-19-2010, 09:20 PM
You can't offer something you don't have, okay?

I offer you a million dollars.

77devil
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I feel like banging head against a wall. You can't offer something you don't have, okay? When the Wears were commited, they were out of scholarships for the 2011 recruiting class as of right then and there. Could that of changed at the end of the year with transfers and people leaving via the draft, sure. But at that time they could not offer anyone from the 2011 class. They can now. You have a scholarship limit.

I could really use the ignore button on the old board right now.

Bluedevil114
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Recruiting is really like reality shows like "The Bachelorette". You fall in love with this girl and you feel the connection on your date (official visit to Duke). Then you see that girl you are in love with out on a date with some other guy (other school visits).

I felt like the number two man when Harrison Barnes picked UNC.

Please Austin do not do that again to me. I could not eat for days.

coldriver10
05-19-2010, 09:31 PM
spelling,

to.
I hope this was on purpose.

Stray Gator
05-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Now this has truly become embarrassing. Instead of banging your head against the wall, try to comprehend this: Even if a program already has an expectation that the maximum number of scholarship players will be enrolled in a future year, such as 2011, that does not prevent the program from extending additional scholarship offers, and the program does not need to wait until one of those anticipated scholarship players actually vacates the scholarship before it can offer a scholarship to another prospective player. If the offeree accepts, and one of the players who was expected to use that scholarship does not vacate the slot by transferring, or dropping out, or flunking out, or going pro, then the program will be obligated to make space for that player by not renewing the scholarship of one of the returning players. (Keep in mind that scholarships are only good for one year at a time, and the school is not required to renew it each year.) In fact, that has happened at a number of programs in recent memory. So, even if the Wears had not transferred, and UNC had players lined up to use all 13 of their scholarships for the 2011 school year, UNC could still offer Rivers--and for that matter, a dozen other recruits. It would be UNC's problem to find a way to limit the number of scholarship players in the program to 13 when the 2011 school year begins.

SilkyJ
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I could really use the ignore button on the old board right now.

HAHA. Seriously.

SilkyJ
05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Now this has truly become embarrassing. Instead of banging your head against the wall, try to comprehend this: Even if a program already has an expectation that the maximum number of scholarship players will be enrolled in a future year, such as 2011, that does not prevent the program from extending additional scholarship offers, and the program does not need to wait until one of those anticipated scholarship players actually vacates the scholarship before it can offer a scholarship to another prospective player. If the offeree accepts, and one of the players who was expected to use that scholarship does not vacate the slot by transferring, or dropping out, or flunking out, or going pro, then the program will be obligated to make space for that player by not renewing the scholarship of one of the returning players. (Keep in mind that scholarships are only good for one year at a time, and the school is not required to renew it each year.) In fact, that has happened at a number of programs in recent memory. So, even if the Wears had not transferred, and UNC had players lined up to use all 13 of their scholarships for the 2011 school year, UNC could still offer Rivers--and for that matter, a dozen other recruits. It would be UNC's problem to find a way to limit the number of scholarship players in the program to 13 when the 2011 school year begins.

Osiagdjsdjsd:

Please read this post. Its from one of the oldest posters on this board, from a moderator, from a guy who knows his stuff, accept that everyone else knows what they are talking about, and don't respond.

kong123
05-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Osiagdjsdjsd:

I'm not sure, but I think you may have missed a letter here or there in his name;)

Newton_14
05-19-2010, 09:44 PM
To support Stray Gator and the others, just last spring, Calipari had 17 Kids that were either on scholarship THE PREVIOUS season, or were incoming recruits with OFFERED SCHOLARSHIPS.

17, and he could have offered more had he chosen to do so. But per the rules, when school started last August, only 13 of those kids could be on scholarship. So 1 went pro, and 3 were encouraged to leave, which they did.

Unc could offer Rivers and 4 other new kids scholarships if they chose to do so. Nothing prevents them from doing that. They just have to get that number down to 13 in August of 2011.

Osiagledknarf
05-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Osiagdjsdjsd:

Please read this post. Its from one of the oldest posters on this board, from a moderator, from a guy who knows his stuff, accept that everyone else knows what they are talking about, and don't respond.

I am sorry that I am wrong about this.. I accept this... but do not tell me not to respond to something. I have every right to post as much as you do buddy!! Please don't challenge me!!! Go on posting, alright.

Oh yeah, learn how to spell before addressing this, thank you.

roywhite
05-19-2010, 10:23 PM
I am sorry that I am wrong about this.. I accept this... but do not tell me not to respond to something. I have every write to post as much as you do buddy!! Please don't challenge me!!! Go on posting, alright.

Oh yeah, learn how to spell before addressing this, thank you.

:eek:

Mike Corey
05-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I offer you a million dollars.

Quick! Find consideration!

Oy. I hate myself sometimes.

airowe
05-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Where do you read that he has been offered by UNC? Before the Wears transferred, they did not have a scholarship to offer Rivers. And I have not read anything that he has been offered by UNC.

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams attended Winter Park's afternoon hoops practice ... That phone conversation, according to Rivers, included a scholarship offer.

This is from an article dated March 25. BEFORE the Where?s transferred.

BD80
05-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Quick! Find consideration! ...

Does that mean the state of being considerate to others?

Won't find it in this thread!

mph
05-19-2010, 11:10 PM
BEFORE the Where?s transferred.

That is some strong work. Well done.

Duvall
05-20-2010, 12:32 AM
this is embarrassing.

also, I imagine if Rivers is successfully recruited, there will be a transfer or two.

Even if you don't get Rivers, you should expect transfers, since you'll have six players for two guard spots. Seven if you count Justin Watts, which you probably shouldn't.

BD80
05-20-2010, 12:43 AM
... if you count Justin Watts, which you probably shouldn't.

Exactly. What good is the Watts without the Wears?

Who? FIRST BASE!

An era has passed

uh_no
05-20-2010, 01:14 AM

An era has passed

soooo goood

El_Diablo
05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Projected 2011-12 UNC roster as of last month, and for several months prior:

Ed Davis (SR)
Larry Drew II (SR)
Tyler Zeller (SR)
Justin Watts (SR)
John Henson (JR)
Leslie McDonald (JR)
Dexter Strickland (JR)
David Wear (JR)
Travis Wear (JR)
Harrison Barnes (SO)
Reggie Bullock (SO)
Kendal Marshall (SO)
PJ Hairston (FR)
James McAdoo (FR)

Count them up. Fourteen.

kong123
05-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Projected 2011-12 UNC roster as of last month, and for several months prior:

Ed Davis (SR)
Larry Drew II (SR)
Tyler Zeller (SR)
Justin Watts (SR)
John Henson (JR)
Leslie McDonald (JR)
Dexter Strickland (JR)
David Wear (JR)
Travis Wear (JR)
Harrison Barnes (SO)
Reggie Bullock (SO)
Kendal Marshall (SO)
PJ Hairston (FR)
James McAdoo (FR)

Count them up. Fourteen.

if you take off Ed Davis, who is in this years draft, you have 13.

Channing
05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
if you take off Ed Davis, who is in this years draft, you have 13.

I think the point was to show that they had 14 "committed" players and were OK. Low and behold, Ed Davis declared, and they will have the proper number of players on their roster.

Just evidence that there is no prohibition against offering more scholarships for a future year than are currently available.

El_Diablo
05-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I think the point was to show that they had 14 "committed" players and were OK. Low and behold, Ed Davis declared, and they will have the proper number of players on their roster.

Just evidence that there is no prohibition against offering more scholarships for a future year than are currently available.

Precisely.

monkey
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Quick! Find consideration!

Oy. I hate myself sometimes.

Perhaps you should go spend a few hundred grand and make a detrimental reliance argument ...

thewiseben
05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
:eek:

I saw that too. Good times.

gumbomoop
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Who? FIRST BASE!

An era has passed

Excellent post and question but.....I don't know. [Third base.]

JasonEvans
05-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Folks, I would respectfully ask that we stop piling on Osiagledknarf.

He was wrong about how scholarship offers work. While many of us understand this rule, he did not and he has now admitted it. It took him some time, but he got there.

Lets give it a rest now, ok?

Personally, I would like to issue a ban on discussing number of scholarships when it comes to top recruits. If a school is recruiting a kid, it has almost certainly figured out a way of getting a scholarship to that kid. The notion that we have some insight into a situation that goes beyond the thinking of the head coach and other members of a program is absurd and laughable.

Sometimes... sometimes... a school will offer scholarships to two kids and say, "whichever of you accepts first gets the ship and the other kid does not." That kind of thing used to happen more in the past than it does now, but that is the only time where "number of scholarships" plays a role in recruiting.

Again, if UNC or Duke or Kentucky or any major school is recruiting a kid -- rest assured that "number of scholarships" is not an issue in that recruitment.

-Jason "oh, and Bleacher Report is generally not worth the paper it is written upon" Evans

slower
05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
This is now my favorite thread. VERY high entertainment value. "It takes a village...", "Jane, you ignorant slut", yada yada yada. :)

Kedsy
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
-Jason "oh, and Bleacher Report is generally not worth the paper it is written upon" Evans

Is it written on paper? ;)

Vasherized
05-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Rivers tore it up all weekend in Houston.

Top of the class (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/05/20/houston-nike-eybl-wrap-up/)

DukeBlueNV
05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Rivers tore it up all weekend in Houston.

Top of the class (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/05/20/houston-nike-eybl-wrap-up/)

thanks for the write up... got any new tidbits from the rivers camp? obviously with all the articles coming out we all know he is favoring duke but im feeling greedy... :D

SilkyJ
05-20-2010, 02:34 PM
thanks for the write up... got any new tidbits from the rivers camp? obviously with all the articles coming out we all know he is favoring duke but im feeling greedy... :D

Vasherized has said for weeks, if not months, that Austin to Duke is basically a done deal. Not much more for him to elaborate on, except how he knows, which he says is a source close to the family.

DukeBlueNV
05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Vasherized has said for weeks, if not months, that Austin to Duke is basically a done deal. Not much more for him to elaborate on, except how he knows, which he says is a source close to the family.

thanks man, ive read his posts before... thats why i asked if there is anything "NEW", not '"UHHH DO YA THINK AUSTIN IS COMMING TO DUKE?????" give me a break man....

A-Tex Devil
05-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Burntorangenation reporting that Austin is planning to visit Austin (UT).

I hope duke is still in the lead, but Austin, TX can do some crazy things to people. :D

dukeblue225
05-20-2010, 05:36 PM
"When you go visit Duke you're like why the hell would I go anywhere else? It has great facilities. We caught them in the hoopla of raising the banner. We caught them at the time when they very upbeat, very positive. Coach K is a great guy."

Great quote from River's AAU coach on the article on the front page.

Greg_Newton
05-20-2010, 05:59 PM
thanks man, ive read his posts before... thats why i asked if there is anything "NEW", not '"UHHH DO YA THINK AUSTIN IS COMMING TO DUKE?????" give me a break man....

Lol. Those darn "senior members"!!! :rolleyes:

SilkyJ
05-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Chill bra, wasn't aiming to give you a hard time. Just thought might not have known what Vash had been saying, which has been pretty consistent and clear: Austin to Duke is a done deal.

You responded to his latest post, where he posted something, uuhhhhh NEW, about several players including Austin and asked if there was anything new from his camp, which to me meant "have you heard anything more about where Austin might be going?" Is that not what you were asking about? I thought it was, so I told you what Vash's thoughts are on that subject which is Austin to Duke is a done deal. As in DONE, DONE, and DONE. So there's really nothing new to discuss there, at least from Vash. I didn't know if you knew Vash's stance, so I was just tryin to relay the info... cause if you did know his stance, and you were still asking him about it...well that wouldn't make very much sense.

If something changes and he'll either let us know or he'll never be heard from again b/c no one here would trust anything he says.

SilkyJ
05-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Lol. Those darn "senior members"!!! :rolleyes:

What with our passing along of information and whatnot...

DukeBlueNV
05-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Chill bra, wasn't aiming to give you a hard time. Just thought might not have known what Vash had been saying, which has been pretty consistent and clear: Austin to Duke is a done deal.

You responded to his latest post, where he posted something, uuhhhhh NEW, about several players including Austin and asked if there was anything new from his camp, which to me meant "have you heard anything more about where Austin might be going?" Is that not what you were asking about? I thought it was, so I told you what Vash's thoughts are on that subject which is Austin to Duke is a done deal. As in DONE, DONE, and DONE. So there's really nothing new to discuss there, at least from Vash. I didn't know if you knew Vash's stance, so I was just tryin to relay the info... cause if you did know his stance, and you were still asking him about it...well that wouldn't make very much sense.

If something changes and he'll either let us know or he'll never be heard from again b/c no one here would trust anything he says.

what i meant by anything new was something like: where he is actually going to visit and whether those teams have a realistic shot, maybe how he felt about everyone saying its a "done deal" with him going to duke or something that we havent heard or thought about. like i said in my first post, everyone knows how austin feels about duke, he and his coach made that pretty clear but if vash really has some insider info maybe he has some other interesting tid-bits he would like to share.

and ill gladly "chill" when u and some other senior board members loose the holier then thou attitude u guys have, picking apart every post that doesnt meet ur standards.

G man
05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
what i meant by anything new was something like: where he is actually going to visit and whether those teams have a realistic shot, maybe how he felt about everyone saying its a "done deal" with him going to duke or something that we havent heard or thought about. like i said in my first post, everyone knows how austin feels about duke, he and his coach made that pretty clear but if vash really has some insider info maybe he has some other interesting tid-bits he would like to share.

and ill gladly "chill" when u and some other senior board members loose the holier then thou attitude u guys have, picking apart every post that doesnt meet ur standards.

I do agree sometimes some of the senior members do come down hard on some of the newer members, but to be honest we have enough dumb comments on here to keep everyone busy correcting them for a week or two. What makes me mad is when people jump on spelling. I think we can afford to relax a little bit on some of that. I think some of us newer members could afford to double check the things we post for spelling as well as content. I hope some of the older members let go some of the arrogance they allow to leak on to their posts on here as well.

Indoor66
05-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I do agree sometimes some of the senior members do come down hard on some of the newer members, but to be honest we have enough dumb comments on here to keep everyone busy correcting them for a week or two. What makes me mad is when people jump on spelling. I think we can afford to relax a little bit on some of that. I think some of us newer members could afford to double check the things we post for spelling as well as content. I hope some of the older members let go some of the arrogance they allow to leak on to their posts on here as well.

The big things will take care of themselves. The little things will kill you.

Bluedevil114
05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Anyone know what or if there is any relationship with Dell Curry and Doc Rivers. They both played in the NBA at the same time over a span of 12 years.

You would hope that Coach K is having Dell speak to Doc about their kids playing together in 2011.

jimsumner
05-20-2010, 10:03 PM
"and ill gladly "chill" when u and some other senior board members loose the holier then thou attitude u guys have, picking apart every post that doesnt meet ur standards"

One of the things that animates some of us holier-than-thou seniors is an inability of some posters to distinguish between text messaging and message boards. We're not going to charge by the character. Honest.

JasonEvans
05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Is it written on paper? ;)

That is my point. It is similar to the legal saying, "an oral contract is not worth the paper it is written upon."

-Jason

moonpie23
05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
what makes you a "senior member"...???

age?
posts?
mods?
grand children?

SupaDave
05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
One of the things that animates some of us holier-than-thou seniors is an inability of some posters to distinguish between text messaging and message boards. We're not going to charge by the character. Honest.

I must elaborate on what Jim has said here. Something I've noticed from some of the newer posters is that there's a tendency to treat this as an INSTANT message board. It is NOT that. Sometimes you need to let the conversation develop before you jump in. It is not necessary to respond to every post. If you agree - then simply let the post stand. There's not much need for a whole bunch of "I agree"s unless you're somehow moving the conversation foward.

Trust me, it's a learning process. This board is sophisticated and quite frankly once you settle into the nuance of it all - you will appreciate it that much more. If you just want to yak then there are plenty of outlets for that, but imagine a place where EVERY post was a conversation topic in itself. Yes, we've been there at times. And we've all gotten worked up too. EVERYONE here is just that passionate.

Don't worry about the post counts. Worry about the content. "Young" folks like Airowe in particular have jumped right in the fray and he seems to have aged rapidly. You can have only 17 posts but if every single one of them is awesome - then we'll be looking forward to post #18...

BD80
05-20-2010, 11:22 PM
... This board is sophisticated ... [with] nuance ...

So us Irish types aren't welcome? :rolleyes:

PaIronDuke
05-21-2010, 01:19 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I doubt if insistence upon decent grammar and
correct spelling equates arrogance. If so, dumbing down is dead upon us....... And, yes, I'm "senior"..........

SilkyJ
05-21-2010, 01:23 AM

Since someone started this by calling me a senior member I thought i ought to say that, while flattered, I actually don't deserve to be called a senior member. More middle-aged, and thats not a pun. The oldest "Join Date" you will see is Feb 2007 (I believe) which is when the board switched to its new system, so you might think lots of folks that joined around that time are "senior." This board has actually been around since around 2000ish, IIRC?? Maybe one of these senior members can correct me on that.

But back to my original point, don't lump me in with holier-than-thou guys like that Jim Sumner. Please oh please don't throw me in the briar batch.

Grey Devil
05-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Since someone started this by calling me a senior member I thought i ought to say that, while flattered, I actually don't deserve to be called a senior member. More middle-aged, and thats not a pun. The oldest "Join Date" you will see is Feb 2007 (I believe) which is when the board switched to its new system, so you might think lots of folks that joined around that time are "senior." This board has actually been around since around 2000ish, IIRC?? Maybe one of these senior members can correct me on that.

Well, I think I can remember reading the DBR back in the late '90s :eek: -- when it had some connection to "Juliovision" :confused: -- so I guess that makes me one of the "seniors," even though I don't post all that much for as long as I've been around. And that said, I do welcome all the new readers and posters who join us each time we win an NC (I seem to recall something like this happening before). Once they learn our culture they'll either conform or go away.

I think of the DBR as something like your friendly neighborhood pub (that's not original to me -- others have said it before). Some folks stop in for a beer every once in a while and join in the conversation. Some just sit in the corner and sip their drinks and listen. Others hang out for longer periods of time and have extended discussions and debates about matters of import. But everyone is welcome -- as long as they understand and conform to the culture. If not, they either leave, change, or are politely asked to leave. Occasionally (and really not that often) someone drinks a bit too much, speaks a little too boisterously (or profanely) and gets carried out the door. It's unpleasant when it happens, but usually better for everyone.

Myself, I prefer to sit and listen, contributing every once in a while when I think I may have something to contribute, but I always enjoy the conversation.

Now lets move this thread back to where it belongs ... Austin Rivers.

Seems like all the signs are pointing toward him coming to Duke, but with kids that age you never know. Just look at last year.

Grey Devil

77devil
05-21-2010, 06:47 AM
correct spelling equates arrogance. If so, dumbing down is dead upon us....... And, yes, I'm "senior"..........

Amen. Goes well with a more considered and thoughtful approach to post content that has been a staple of DBR from the beginning. If I wanted to read impulse and stream of consciousness, I'd be over at TDD.

slower
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Sadly, to state the obvious, I'm afraid that our post-literate society will continue to evolve/devolve to the point where not only books and newspapers are relics of the past, but where language itself will be similarly brutalized.

So, for some of the younger/newer DBR members, please allow us "grumpy old men" (well, relative to you) to vent every now and then. ;)

yancem
05-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Wow we are doing a great job of staying on topic! I only wish that those violent gerbils could learn to use proper grammar when discussing the merits of the cider block measuring system!

jimsumner
05-21-2010, 09:58 AM
" I only wish that those violent gerbils could learn to use proper grammar when discussing the merits of the cider block measuring system! "

Do you mean cinder block? :)

Or now is there a cider-block measuring system that I don't know about?

How quickly, the world changes for us geezers.

Duke of Nashville
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
" I only wish that those violent gerbils could learn to use proper grammar when discussing the merits of the cider block measuring system! "

See Tyler Adams Thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21108&highlight=tyler+adams) Around Page 6

It is all my fault I should have never posted the picture.

To stay on topic I heard Austin Rivers really likes Duke.

gumbomoop
05-21-2010, 01:05 PM

More such evidence can be found in the following blog from ESPN a few days ago. I've cut and pasted the relevant portion of the story, to save readers time scrolling down through many blogs.

"Power forward Emmanuel Negedu is set to sign with New Mexico, and Lobos sophomore forward Will Brown has sent a letter to the Albuquerque Journal essentially pleading to stay on the team.

The issue of scholarships has come up with New Mexico. Coach Steve Alford added four high school players and three impact transfers to next year's roster, and Brown apparently doesn't want to be the odd man out.

After Darington Hobson stayed in the draft the Lobos continued to recruit Negedu, knowing his commitment would put them over the scholarship limit. Of course, scholarships are in reality one-year agreements and do not have to be renewed."

G man
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Na I don't have a problem with the correction to be frank I cannot spell with worth a crap. My issue is more with the tone with how things come across. I just dislike it when anyone senior or a youngster purposely make someone look bad. I think most of us can think of a time or two when we have witnessed this. I love it here I am on two or three times a day, but I do not like seeing people going after others unless they have clearly asked for it. That is all. The spelling thing is actually a very minor irritation mainly because I am terrible at it.

Jim3k
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
The spelling thing is actually a very minor irritation mainly because I am terrible at it.

Even if you hide behind a handle for identification purposes, your reputation as a thoughtful person is affected by your grammar, spelling and syntax.

Since DBR does not have a spellcheck feature, I have chosen to use a browser that does -- Firefox. It provides a helpful red line under all misspellings; they are correctable via a keyboard command.

For longer posts --ones with deeper thinking -- I have often drafted and refined them in my word processing program -- for me, that's Word. It provides both spelling and grammar oversight. Usually a worthwhile endeavor.

I think if we keep our personal level of education in mind, we will write so as to demonstrate that level to others. Why would someone with a bachelor's degree (or higher) want to appear unlettered? After all, most of us are alums of Duke and if not Duke, Cornell (greybeard), or some other reputable university.

There is no need for the denizens of the DBR to present themselves as uneducated.

On the other hand (OTOH), most of us understand that it is difficult to proof one's own work. The DBR gives us about 15 minutes to edit our posts before they become final. It never hurts to re-read the posted version during that time frame. Those kinds of mistakes, if missed, seem to me to warrant overlooking if they are not egregious.

But, I'm in full agreement with Sumner over using the correct versions of homonyms. They always escape spellcheck, but the wrong word can make a writer look like an ignoramus.

sagegrouse
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Even if you hide behind a handle for identification purposes, your reputation as a thoughtful person is affected by your grammar, spelling and syntax.

Since DBR does not have a spellcheck feature, I have chosen to use a browser that does -- Firefox. It provides a helpful red line under all misspellings; they are correctable via a keyboard command.

For longer posts --ones with deeper thinking -- I have often drafted and refined them in my word processing program -- for me, that's Word. It provides both spelling and grammar oversight. Usually a worthwhile endeavor.

I think if we keep our personal level of education in mind, we will write so as to demonstrate that level to others. Why would someone with a bachelor's degree (or higher) want to appear unlettered? After all, most of us are alums of Duke and if not Duke, Cornell (greybeard), or some other reputable university.

There is no need for the denizens of the DBR to present themselves as uneducated.

On the other hand (OTOH), most of us understand that it is difficult to proof one's own work. The DBR gives us about 15 minutes to edit our posts before they become final. It never hurts to re-read the posted version during that time frame. Those kinds of mistakes, if missed, seem to me to warrant overlooking if they are not egregious.

But, I'm in full agreement with Sumner over using the correct versions of homonyms. They always escape spellcheck, but the wrong word can make a writer look like an ignoramus.

FWIW a valuable feature of the message board is the "Preview Post" button. Force yourself to use it every time, and it is amazing how reading something in formatted text vs. HTML makes the typos and misspellings shine stand out.

Also, although it is not well known, Julio and Bos have a function that inserts misspellings and drops words in otherwise clean text prior to publication. The use of the Preview button unmasks their dirty little game and enables you to post clean messages. Unhappily, in clean messages the inanity, illogic and utter vacuity of our thoughts become blindingly clear.

sagegrouse

MarkD83
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Unhappily, in clean messages the inanity, illogic and utter vacuity of our thoughts become blindingly clear.

sagegrouse

Hey...be careful what you say some of us can't understand, we are Duke graduates. ;)

(For those of you that don't get this reference, the hint is "Lefty Driesell". I will paraphrase the story later on if no one remembers.)

davekay1971
05-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I got my education from Duke University, and certainly came out well prepared to express myself with reasonably correct grammar and spelling.

than i did sum preemed corses at the younivercity of north kerlina at chapa heeya and sumthing happened and i dont no what it is butt i seme to have moor trubble with my speling eversince and my gramer isint two good neither

bak on toppic i think austen rivvers looks rilly good and i hope he comes too duuk go devils

Indoor66
05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Na I don't have a problem with the correction to be frank I cannot spell with worth a crap. My issue is more with the tone with how things come across. I just dislike it when anyone senior or a youngster purposely make someone look bad. I think most of us can think of a time or two when we have witnessed this. I love it here I am on two or three times a day, but I do not like seeing people going after others unless they have clearly asked for it. That is all. The spelling thing is actually a very minor irritation mainly because I am terrible at it.

The grammar is not so great, either. Try this checker (http://www.iespell.com/download.php). It is an add on that might help you - and maybe others.

PADukeMom
05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
I have come to the belief that with age comes wisdom. Wisdom allows you to realize that it is not necessary to nit-pick everything that occurs in daily life.
Do I make the occasional error in grammar, spelling & syntax? Of course I do. My personal peeve is the usage of the word their, there & they're however I don't spend my day pointing out these errors.
With that said I wish everyone a great & safe weekend. A special good wish to Big Poppa & his bride on their wedding day. Here's to hoping Austin Rivers has a sweet dream of him wearing a Duke uniform.

Starter
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
I think the majority of posters here are good people, and I've had positive interactions with several -- notably Greybeard, who's given me private advice on an injury I'm dealing with. But it takes all sorts.

I've long read this board and decided to post in January or so, but my history with DBR goes back to interviewing Julio and Boswell several times on my radio show at Duke over a decade ago. So when my slightest bit of cynicism -- or even realism -- was met with a good deal of bitterness and vitriol, it didn't surprise me; I've seen how things can get here. I think that comes from the strong feelings of identity people place with Duke basketball, especially those that have endeavored to stay close to the program in proximity and otherwise. The passion people have mixed with an extensive post count tends to give some the mentality that their opinions on the sport of basketball and the culture of college sports are unimpeachable, regardless of whether that's true.

There are a lot of ignorant posts I've seen here, and also some relatively insightful ones, from both new and old members. I guess that makes this... a message board.

Also... I'm pretty pumped about the possibility of Austin Rivers. :cool:

oldnavy
05-21-2010, 05:11 PM

For me this is the most challenging part of the post. I have in my mind's eye what I think the sentence should look like, and that is often what I see and not how it actually appears. Even with the preview feature (which I highly recommend) things slip by. When I see common errors (there and their or you and your) I am not bothered. But when someone obviously doesn't take a second look and the grammar is sloppy and the spelling is bad, that is aggravating. And of course it is mo better to have someone else check your work than for you to check yourself. :o

MChambers
05-21-2010, 05:40 PM

It's hard cider, and you should see those violent gerbils when they've tossed back a couple of mugs. On the other hand, maybe you shouldn't, because it's not a pretty picture.

airowe
05-21-2010, 10:04 PM
While this thread has turned into a babbling brook, all Rivers lead to Durham.

Clipsfan
05-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I must elaborate on what Jim has said here. Something I've noticed from some of the newer posters is that there's a tendency to treat this as an INSTANT message board. It is NOT that. Sometimes you need to let the conversation develop before you jump in. It is not necessary to respond to every post. If you agree - then simply let the post stand. There's not much need for a whole bunch of "I agree"s unless you're somehow moving the conversation foward.

Trust me, it's a learning process. This board is sophisticated and quite frankly once you settle into the nuance of it all - you will appreciate it that much more. If you just want to yak then there are plenty of outlets for that, but imagine a place where EVERY post was a conversation topic in itself. Yes, we've been there at times. And we've all gotten worked up too. EVERYONE here is just that passionate.

Don't worry about the post counts. Worry about the content. "Young" folks like Airowe in particular have jumped right in the fray and he seems to have aged rapidly. You can have only 17 posts but if every single one of them is awesome - then we'll be looking forward to post #18...

I have to admit that personally I am glad that they removed the verification system which used to be in place for posts, but it did serve its purpose. I have been more of a lurker than a poster recently, but when I posted more it was nice to be able to do it without waiting for emailed codes etc. However, the old system did thin out the threads by eliminating flames (for the most part) and all the one-liners which contained no real content (who wanted to go through all that just to post a meaningless one-liner?) Unfortunately, it also probably prevented many posters who add considerable value to the board from posting due to the hassle. I am not advocating a return to those days, but I appreciate those posters who put thought into their posts, so thank you for continuing to provide information and entertainment to those of us who are more lurkers these days.

Bluedevil114
05-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I have to admit that personally I am glad that they removed the verification system which used to be in place for posts, but it did serve its purpose. I have been more of a lurker than a poster recently, but when I posted more it was nice to be able to do it without waiting for emailed codes etc. However, the old system did thin out the threads by eliminating flames (for the most part) and all the one-liners which contained no real content (who wanted to go through all that just to post a meaningless one-liner?) Unfortunately, it also probably prevented many posters who add considerable value to the board from posting due to the hassle. I am not advocating a return to those days, but I appreciate those posters who put thought into their posts, so thank you for continuing to provide information and entertainment to those of us who are more lurkers these days.

Please open another thread to continue to discuss this topic. I want to read about Austin when I am in this thread. When I open the Quincy Miller thread I want to read new links or opinions about Quincy. The last few days have been miserable on this board.

Duke just won a National Championship and we are all acting ridiculous on this board. Keep the topics to the thread titles please and stop wasting everyones time. I jump on this board three and four times a day to check for updates or good discussion but I pick and choose based on the title of the threads.

I want to hear about Austin Rivers on this thread please.

Kfanarmy
05-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Please open another thread to continue to discuss this topic. I want to read about Austin when I am in this thread. When I open the Quincy Miller thread I want to read new links or opinions. Amen. Mods please move the grammar police' and their arrested development friends' posts elsewhere.

Clipsfan
05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Please open another thread to continue to discuss this topic. I want to read about Austin when I am in this thread. When I open the Quincy Miller thread I want to read new links or opinions about Quincy. The last few days have been miserable on this board.

Duke just won a National Championship and we are all acting ridiculous on this board. Keep the topics to the thread titles please and stop wasting everyones time. I jump on this board three and four times a day to check for updates or good discussion but I pick and choose based on the title of the threads.

I want to hear about Austin Rivers on this thread please.

I don't know whether Bluedevil114 was specifically referring to my post (although he did quote it), but I find it highly ironic that he quoted a post which laments the ease with which posts that waste our time through lack of real content can be added to the board to chastise me for going off topic. Especially in a thread as all over as this one has been (it would be great if we could get 1500+ excellent informative posts solely about Austin.)

On a separate note from that irony, I agree that it would be preferable to keep all threads on topic. I probably would have put it differently, or let a mod put things back on track, but it's nice to wish for things like single topic threads ;)

Duke Mom
05-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Who is Austin Rivers?

And why is there such a hughe thred on him?

El_Diablo
05-22-2010, 01:51 AM
I don't know whether Bluedevil114 was specifically referring to my post (although he did quote it), but I find it highly ironic that he quoted a post which laments the ease with which posts that waste our time through lack of real content can be added to the board to chastise me for going off topic. Especially in a thread as all over as this one has been (it would be great if we could get 1500+ excellent informative posts solely about Austin.)

On a separate note from that irony, I agree that it would be preferable to keep all threads on topic. I probably would have put it differently, or let a mod put things back on track, but it's nice to wish for things like single topic threads ;)

Actually, it's not ironic in the least. Your post described your personal contentedness with the new verification system, despite some positives with the old system (not anything to do with Austin Rivers or his recruitment). It was just the most recent post in a string of off-topic posts.

Question for Vash: should we still be thinking that Austin will commit "sooner [rather] than later"? Or are we in for a long ride?

Clipsfan
05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Question for Vash: should we still be thinking that Austin will commit "sooner [rather] than later"? Or are we in for a long ride?

Question for the board regarding Rivers: is it more fun if Rivers commits now or if we're in for a long ride? It would be great if we knew that he was coming, but is it more fun speculating and worrying that he will end up somewhere else? The Kyrie thread has maintained some momentum and Rivers is the same sort of incredibly exciting player that we would love to continue following, but would the next 18 months be more fun if we continued to think that UNC could steal him?

airowe
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM

I'm not Vash, but expect this to be over by the end of August. Austin will more than likely visit Texas, unc, UK, and one more school (KU probably) before making his decision public.

G man
05-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not Vash, but expect this to be over by the end of August. Austin will more than likely visit Texas, unc, UK, and one more school (KU probably) before making his decision public.

I don't know about you guys, but I get very nervous when he talks about visiting other schools. It did not take much for him to fall in love with florida and then Duke. I am glad it will be summer though not during the year. Not as many things happening on campus this time of year.

DukeBlueNV
05-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Question for the board regarding Rivers: is it more fun if Rivers commits now or if we're in for a long ride? It would be great if we knew that he was coming, but is it more fun speculating and worrying that he will end up somewhere else? The Kyrie thread has maintained some momentum and Rivers is the same sort of incredibly exciting player that we would love to continue following, but would the next 18 months be more fun if we continued to think that UNC could steal him?

Are you sure "fun" is the word you were looking for?

Indoor66
05-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I get very nervous when he talks about visiting other schools. It did not take much for him to fall in love with florida and then Duke. I am glad it will be summer though not during the year. Not as many things happening on campus this time of year.

He fell in love with Florida, his state school - and in Florida even more of a favorite than Carolina is in NC - after they won a national championship, followed it with another when he was four and five years younger than he is now.

With his maturation he began to question his decision and is now attempting to make a reasoned, considered decision on where to go to school. I admire his courage and wise choice to look at the possibilities. I hope he comes to Duke but I also hope he makes a good choice for him.

coldriver10
05-22-2010, 04:07 PM
He fell in love with Florida, his state school - and in Florida even more of a favorite than Carolina is in NC
I agree with everything you said except for this (which isn't important but I though I'd comment on it). While the UNC school system dominates North Carolina, Florida has 2 popular state schools, UF and FSU, with a huge private school (UM) also having a big following. Add this to the fact that Florida is a football state and NC is a basketball state, and the following UNC has in North Carolina crushes the following UF's basketball could claim.

Indoor66
05-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I agree with everything you said except for this (which isn't important but I though I'd comment on it). While the UNC school system dominates North Carolina, Florida has 2 popular state schools, UF and FSU, with a huge private school (UM) also having a big following. Add this to the fact that Florida is a football state and NC is a basketball state, and the following UNC has in North Carolina crushes the following UF's basketball could claim.

I have no idea where you live, but I live in Florida and have lived in both north and south Florida. The Gators are, far and away, the most popular team in Florida. Miami has it's following in Miami and Southeast Florida and Florida State has a loyal following scattered throughout the state, but the University of Florida is THE college team in Florida - whether basketball or football.

DevilHorns
05-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I have no idea where you live, but I live in Florida and have lived in both north and south Florida. The Gators are, far and away, the most popular team in Florida. Miami has it's following in Miami and Southeast Florida and Florida State has a loyal following scattered throughout the state, but the University of Florida is THE college team in Florida - whether basketball or football.

I'm from Florida too... and what you say has become more true in recent years. Miami OWNED south florida until the Gators won in 1996. Since then there's been a little shift in the tide (even though Canes have had success since then as well obviously).

This is all from a Gator fan who loved em before they ever won a championship. Danny Wuerffel baby!

-bdbd
05-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Given the choice, I'd personally rather see an earlier decision b/c: (1) The apprehension is killing me (!); (2) I think that, with Duke leading, a decision sooner means greater likelihood of it being for the team in Royal Blue; (3) The more it drags the greater the chance of someone else worming their way in. I DO believe that it is going to ultimately go Duke's way, but would love to hear those words from AR!

BTW, I agree with the earlier comment that it is very natural for a HS underclassmen to get overwhelmed by the early attention and peer pressure and commit to the dominant in-state school early. I think it was very wise to not let the momentum/wave carry him along, and for him to have the courage to take a step back and make sure it was the ideal choice for him. I suspect having a dad who is a prominent member in the business didn't hurt in that regard. Y'all need to be confident that this is a smart kid, well-coached and reared, and anybody else would rather be in our shoes with him right now. Can't wait to see him playing along side Kyrie, Seth, Plumlee, Hairston and maybe Q!

:D:D :rolleyes: :eek:

coldriver10
05-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm also from Florida, though haven't lived there in 9 years. I'm not arguing that UF isn't the most popular team in Florida. I'm simply saying that, in my opinion, their following isn't what UNC's is in North Carolina...at least in terms of basketball. Football yes, but basketball (at least as long as I lived in Florida, which was 18 years) never came close to what it is here in NC.

Indoor66
05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm also from Florida, though haven't lived there in 9 years. I'm not arguing that UF isn't the most popular team in Florida. I'm simply saying that, in my opinion, their following isn't what UNC's is in North Carolina...at least in terms of basketball. Football yes, but basketball (at least as long as I lived in Florida, which was 18 years) never came close to what it is here in NC.

I fully respect your opinion, but according to you stated time frames, you were not here when Florida won back to back championships. That is the period when Rivers committed to Florida. Florida Basketball fans came out of the woodwork - as they do in NC when there is a national championship to celebrate. Hey, look at this board and the number of new posters!

RelativeWays
05-23-2010, 09:10 AM
but would the next 18 months be more fun if we continued to think that UNC could steal him?

Fun like acid reflux is fun.

Bluedevil114
05-23-2010, 10:11 AM
When the Celtics when the NBA Championship imagine the official visit to Duke. Doc and Coach K can sit and talk about how they achieved success this year and won championships. How both overcame obstacles.

They will both be at the top of their games. If I am Doc Rivers I want my son to play for a winner. A coach much like myself.

If Celtics win the Championship I would think that would only help our recruiting of Austin. Could also land Doc Rivers on the coaching staff of the USA team down the line.

moonpie23
05-23-2010, 10:19 AM
it's hard to imagine the lakers beating the celtics the way they are playing right now.....

coldriver10
05-23-2010, 10:25 AM
I fully respect your opinion, but according to you stated time frames, you were not here when Florida won back to back championships. That is the period when Rivers committed to Florida. Florida Basketball fans came out of the woodwork - as they do in NC when there is a national championship to celebrate. Hey, look at this board and the number of new posters!
I definitely see your point. You may be right! I just have a hard time imagining UF bball having more of a following than UNC bball. Just my opinion, though :). I appreciate your thoughts!

ChicagoCrazy84
05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
it's hard to imagine the lakers beating the celtics the way they are playing right now.....

I agree. The Celts are on fire right now and the way Rondo is playing, they will clearly have an edge there. Plus, with KG healthy and Glen Davis playing well, they'll be able to match up with the Lakers front line.

Exactly what this all has to do with Austin Rivers, I don't really know. I don't think Doc winning a championship will have any bearing on his decision.

ricks68
05-23-2010, 03:42 PM

I was born in Miami about what seems like 100 years ago, and I can tell you that basketball does not have anywhere near the following that football has in Florida. When I was a kid, I used to go to the annual Thanksgiving Day (night) game in the Orange Bowl that always had Miami Edison High against Miami High. 48,000+ fans present was the norm.

Remember, U of Miami even dropped their basketball program years ago, and that was right after Rick Barry graduated. Also remember, the SEC is a football (consistently the best, in my opinion) conference with Kentucky just an aberration, as far as basketball is concerned.

Florida fans came out of the woodwork only after they had won those championships, and are gradually going back in as more time passes. Not so with their football, just like UNC, and our, basketball. Yes, more fans come out after a championship, but both UNC and Duke have a tremendous amount of die-hard bball fans, no matter what happens in post season play. Not so with Florida bball as compared to their football.

Another pertinent point, basketball is a winter sport, most suited for colder climes, not places like Florida. I remember going into the gym during the winter months in Miami and sweltering from the heat.

Just my humble, with some facts suporting it, opinion.

ricks

SupaDave
05-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Another pertinent point, basketball is a winter sport, most suited for colder climes, not places like Florida. I remember going into the gym during the winter months in Miami and sweltering from the heat.

ricks

I was with you until the basketball is a winter sport point... Basketball has one of THE longest seasons in pro sports and is pretty much year round with tourneys. The Rucker being a SUMMER highlight.

If anything, it's football that's the winter sport... Practice starts in the spring/summer and the season ENDS in the winter - no matter what.

ricks68
05-24-2010, 03:00 AM
I was with you until the basketball is a winter sport point... Basketball has one of THE longest seasons in pro sports and is pretty much year round with tourneys. The Rucker being a SUMMER highlight.

If anything, it's football that's the winter sport... Practice starts in the spring/summer and the season ENDS in the winter - no matter what.

The length of the season was not what I meant. Bball is a sport that is played indoors, and is appropriate for those that would be freezing their butts off if the game were designed as a sport that is normally played in an outdoor stadium. Football was originally played beginning in the fall and extended into the early winter. Perfect for football, as heat stroke would be a major concern if it were played throughout the summer. Obviously, big money is oblivious to the seasons, and that's the well-known reason to back up what you stated. That's a whole new subject, however. I was just pointing out that the original common sense scheduling of the two sports fits into the normal weather pattern of most states to be most advantageous to both sports. Regardless of how long the seasons for both sports are now, just imagine if bball were a summer sport and football began in the late fall and extended throughout the dead of winter. I find it not hard to imagine that there are probably a heck of a lot of high school bball gyms out there that are still not air conditioned, and certainly most football stadiums are not enclosed-----and definitely without a mini snow plow that was around for a particular game I seem to remember quite a few years ago between a team from New England, and a team from Florida.

With the advent of air conditioning for most bball facilities (Whoops, there goes Cameron if college bball were scheduled to be played in the summer!) and covered and air conditioned stadiums for football, the big bucks definitely are able to extend both seasons from both directions. That was not the point of my post. The point I was trying to make was in response to the opinion of a well respected, long-time poster, that Florida has big time bball fans in the general category of UNC fans. I was just stating my opinion that this is not so, and stated some thoughts to back it up. Sorry if this caused some confusion.

ricks

oldnavy
05-24-2010, 06:28 AM
I was born in Miami about what seems like 100 years ago, and I can tell you that basketball does not have anywhere near the following that football has in Florida. When I was a kid, I used to go to the annual Thanksgiving Day (night) game in the Orange Bowl that always had Miami Edison High against Miami High. 48,000+ fans present was the norm.

Remember, U of Miami even dropped their basketball program years ago, and that was right after Rick Barry graduated. Also remember, the SEC is a football (consistently the best, in my opinion) conference with Kentucky just an aberration, as far as basketball is concerned.

Florida fans came out of the woodwork only after they had won those championships, and are gradually going back in as more time passes. Not so with their football, just like UNC, and our, basketball. Yes, more fans come out after a championship, but both UNC and Duke have a tremendous amount of die-hard bball fans, no matter what happens in post season play. Not so with Florida bball as compared to their football.

ricks

I lived in FL from 2002-2005. Football is king by far. In fact, I remember being frustrated by the local sports talk radio show for discussing spring football training while the NCCAT was being played. I couldn't get a score for somebody calling in and discussing who the Gator's back up cornerback was going to be or if the Jags were going to make the playoffs! I remember being in a restaurant that had a bar section with some TV's when FL was playing UCONN (I believe) on national TV, and I was the only one in the place that was watching the game. This was during the lead up to their two NC, and FL was having some success on the court, but very few folks talked about it or were very interested. I am sure that there are die hard BB fans in FL, but they are greatly outnumbered by the football fans. I get the sense that vast majority of Gator fan's are football fans, but they do support the basketball program albeit with noticeably less vigor and passion. Sort of the opposite situation that you find at Duke and UNC....

blueprofessor
05-24-2010, 08:28 AM

ricks

In the last decade, the big game has been Northwestern vs. Jackson which attracted 46,000 fans to the old Orange Bowl.
The biggest game of the 1960s (which figured prominently in naming the unofficial national champion in high school football) was Coral Gables Cavaliers vs. Miami Senior High's Stingarees.Those games drew upwards of 60,000 to the old Orange Bowl and showcased the greatest players and coaches.This was a time that the largest university in the southeast U.S. was U of Florida's 13,500 students. The Miami games' attendance outstripped virtually all college games outside of the huge universities in the north and west.

Larry Rentz, an all-star Florida safety pressed into service as a Gator qback in a huge SEC game because of injury, told a good friend who was the starting weakside linebacker at 204 pounds and from tiny Sebring High that he wasn't nervous because he had played before a lot bigger crowds in the CG and Miami High game. Larry was a stutterer and had to use hand signals and an improvised oral description of plays he could actually call in the huddle w/o stuttering. He did it...after all he had been through that Stingaree game in the Orange Bowl.

A good rendition of these glorious times of high school football is Robert Powell's We Own this Game.

On occasion Miami (Senior) High and Coral Gables would venture to central Florida (Lakeland, Imperial Polk County, Florida) for struggles against the Lakeland Dreadnaughts.The intensity rivaled a present-day FF game (the NCAA championship game was not necessarily a national or live tv broadcast then). Every polceman and deputy in the county would monitor the fights after the game as the visiting players and fans made their way to buses to return on the 6 hour drive to "Miama".

Although there is excellent basketball in Florida, football has always been king throughout every Florida county,city, and town.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

SupaDave
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
The length of the season was not what I meant. Bball is a sport that is played indoors, and is appropriate for those that would be freezing their butts off if the game were designed as a sport that is normally played in an outdoor stadium. Football was originally played beginning in the fall and extended into the early winter. Perfect for football, as heat stroke would be a major concern if it were played throughout the summer. Obviously, big money is oblivious to the seasons, and that's the well-known reason to back up what you stated. That's a whole new subject, however. I was just pointing out that the original common sense scheduling of the two sports fits into the normal weather pattern of most states to be most advantageous to both sports. Regardless of how long the seasons for both sports are now, just imagine if bball were a summer sport and football began in the late fall and extended throughout the dead of winter. I find it not hard to imagine that there are probably a heck of a lot of high school bball gyms out there that are still not air conditioned, and certainly most football stadiums are not enclosed-----and definitely without a mini snow plow that was around for a particular game I seem to remember quite a few years ago between a team from New England, and a team from Florida.

With the advent of air conditioning for most bball facilities (Whoops, there goes Cameron if college bball were scheduled to be played in the summer!) and covered and air conditioned stadiums for football, the big bucks definitely are able to extend both seasons from both directions. That was not the point of my post. The point I was trying to make was in response to the opinion of a well respected, long-time poster, that Florida has big time bball fans in the general category of UNC fans. I was just stating my opinion that this is not so, and stated some thoughts to back it up. Sorry if this caused some confusion.

ricks

All well and good and I totally agree with your premise here and in the fact that Florida bball fans are probably more of a blip tied to the championships more so than any real following. Having grown up in NC I know that it's just a totally different world. We used to watch the ACC tourney IN class...

SupaDave
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
In the last decade, the big game has been Northwestern vs. Jackson which attracted 46,000 fans to the old Orange Bowl.
The biggest game of the 1960s (which figured prominently in naming the unofficial national champion in high school football) was Coral Gables Cavaliers vs. Miami Senior High's Stingarees.Those games drew upwards of 60,000 to the old Orange Bowl and showcased the greatest players and coaches.This was a time that the largest university in the southeast U.S. was U of Florida's 13,500 students. The Miami games' attendance outstripped virtually all college games outside of the huge universities in the north and west.

Larry Rentz, an all-star Florida safety pressed into service as a Gator qback in a huge SEC game because of injury, told a good friend who was the starting weakside linebacker at 204 pounds and from tiny Sebring High that he wasn't nervous because he had played before a lot bigger crowds in the CG and Miami High game. Larry was a stutterer and had to use hand signals and an improvised oral description of plays he could actually call in the huddle w/o stuttering. He did it...after all he had been through that Stingaree game in the Orange Bowl.

A good rendition of these glorious times of high school football is Robert Powell's We Own this Game.

On occasion Miami (Senior) High and Coral Gables would venture to central Florida (Lakeland, Imperial Polk County, Florida) for struggles against the Lakeland Dreadnaughts.The intensity rivaled a present-day FF game (the NCAA championship game was not necessarily a national or live tv broadcast then). Every polceman and deputy in the county would monitor the fights after the game as the visiting players and fans made their way to buses to return on the 6 hour drive to "Miama".

Although there is excellent basketball in Florida, football has always been king throughout every Florida county,city, and town.

I was reading this and for some reason the name Willie Williams just wouldn't stop going through my head. Not only would this guy not EVER get recruited by a North Carolina ACC program but he was actually coveted in Florida. He was recruited by EVERY major program in Florida. There's a HUGE difference in the priorities of the states right there.

blueprofessor
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I was reading this and for some reason the name Willie Williams just wouldn't stop going through my head. Not only would this guy not EVER get recruited by a North Carolina ACC program but he was actually coveted in Florida. He was recruited by EVERY major program in Florida. There's a HUGE difference in the priorities of the states right there.
This bolt of logic would obviously explain why the UNC basketball players' criminal rap sheet is not distinguished by its brevity---maybe the Dean Dome's large crowds were indeed the catalyst for the players' acts leading to arrests.
On the other hand, perhaps people ,especially those residing in areas with high population densities, appreciate sports and actually attend games in large numbers. Moreover, I believe schools, not states, make recruiting decisions.

America is a land of renewed opportunities. Otherwise significant numbers of NBA and NFL players would be out of the leagues long before their playing abilities had diminished.

Does anyone recall the North Carolina ACC schools that approved Miami's and FSU's admittance to the ACC?

Best regards , with hopes for record Duke football and baseball crowds in coming seasons! Blue Prof:)

SupaDave
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
This bolt of logic would obviously explain why the UNC basketball players' criminal rap sheet is not distinguished by its brevity---maybe the Dean Dome's large crowds were indeed the catalyst for the players' acts leading to arrests.
On the other hand, perhaps people ,especially those residing in areas with high population densities, appreciate sports and actually attend games in large numbers. Moreover, I believe schools, not states, make recruiting decisions.

America is a land of renewed opportunities. Otherwise significant numbers of NBA and NFL players would be out of the leagues long before their playing abilities had diminished.

Does anyone recall the North Carolina ACC schools that approved Miami's and FSU's admittance to the ACC?

Best regards , with hopes for record Duke football and baseball crowds in coming seasons! Blue Prof:)

As a whole, no UNC bball player can come close to Willie Williams. What they did after they got to UNC is a totally different issue. And for the record, Roy has turned recruits away who got on the wrong side of the law.

Expansion in the case of FSU - was no easy sell. Don't sleep on NC...

http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_acc.html

In a matter of minutes, Corrigan saw all the hard work on the delicate issue come apart. Clemson, Georgia Tech and Virginia, the strongest supporters on the issue and FSU all along, voted for expansion. Duke and Maryland voted against, but to Corrigan's surprise, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Wake Forest abstained; the equivalent of three no votes.

soccerstud2210
05-24-2010, 02:11 PM
sheesh! what happened to Austin Rivers???

blueprofessor
05-24-2010, 02:17 PM
As a whole, no UNC bball player can come close to Willie Williams. What they did after they got to UNC is a totally different issue. And for the record, Roy has turned recruits away who got on the wrong side of the law.

Expansion in the case of FSU - was no easy sell. Don't sleep on NC...

http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_acc.html

Actually, all four North Carolina ACC schools voted in favor of FSU's and Miami's admittance to the ACC. In fact, the non-North Carolina ACC schools were unanimous as well.

I am assuming that you really do not believe that large crowd size is the cause of illegal acts by athletes who may perform in sports that those crowds gather to watch.
Otherwise, your logic would compel you to decry sold-out Cameron and large attendances at Wade.

rotogod00
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
sheesh! what happened to Austin Rivers???

my thoughts exactly. isn't there an off-topic place for this discussion

SupaDave
05-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Actually, all four North Carolina ACC schools voted in favor of FSU's and Miami's admittance to the ACC. In fact, the non-North Carolina ACC schools were unanimous as well.

I am assuming that you really do not believe that large crowd size is the cause of illegal acts by athletes who may perform in sports that those crowds gather to watch.
Otherwise, your logic would compel you to decry sold-out Cameron and large attendances at Wade.

On the second vote - yes - it was unanimous. And I have made no mention of crowd size. That's not my argument.

left_hook_lacey
05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
All well and good and I totally agree with your premise here and in the fact that Florida bball fans are probably more of a blip tied to the championships more so than any real following. Having grown up in NC I know that it's just a totally different world. We used to watch the ACC tourney IN class...

It's funny that you mention that. Having grown up in rural NC, I was suprised to learn as I entered adult hood that having a television in every highschool class in order to watch the the NCAA tournament was not a national tradition. As I spoke with others in college about this, I couldn't believe that had been deprived of such a right.

My girlfriend is from Mamaroneck, NY(suburbs of NYC). She been here in Wilmington, NC for about 2 years now. I've introduced her to ACC basketball and "the rivalry" and she seemed more than impressed at the intensity and level of commitment of ACC basketball fans. I remember one game specifically I was getting ready to watch one night and Raycom happened to have the coverage on this evening. As we're settling in to watch, the ticker comes across the bottom of the screen on the local affiliate station..."Cougartown will not air at its regularly scheduled time tonight due to ACC basketball......Tune in at 1am after the game and local news for Cougartown"

She was suprised that college basketball would take over the national broadcasts of local affiliates. :D

I went on to tell her that when I was in high school and junior high, we would run from one class to the next during the NCAA tournament becuase we didn't want to miss any of the games. She just couldn't believe that ALL of our teachers let us watch the tournament during class. I said, "Well, I guess that's one difference between catholic school in NY, and public school in the south, specifially ACC country!" :) If they didn't let us watch, there would've been very few people at schoool that day. Especially on days UNC, Duke, or State were playing.

yancem
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
I know that it is the off season and things are slow but if people want to debate the relative fan bases of UF and UNC or whether or not basketball is a winter or summer sport can you take it to another thread! It is frustrating to wade through all of this other stuff only to find out that, although there are 2 new pages of post, none of them have anything to do with Austin Rivers.

kong123
05-24-2010, 03:34 PM
I remember listening to the ACC tournament through a walkman one year in middle school. I remember hearing Woody call the action as a UNC player dunked the ball. I was so involved in the game that I completely forgot I was sitting in English class. I let out a "YEAH!" and then quickly caught myself. I looked up from my desk and saw the teacher scowling at me. Up till that point, she overlooked the headphones I had up to my left ear. She didn't say anything to me, but I did have to turn the walkman off so that I would pay attention to her teachings.

airowe
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
I know that it is the off season and things are slow but if people want to debate the relative fan bases of UF and UNC or whether or not basketball is a winter or summer sport can you take it to another thread! It is frustrating to wade through all of this other stuff only to find out that, although there are 2 new pages of post, none of them have anything to do with Austin Rivers.

Yep, this is getting a little out of hand.

cbnaylor
05-24-2010, 03:42 PM
^

What he said. Maybe we should lock this thread and start a new one like we did for Kyrie.

roywhite
05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't believe I've seen Austin in any crowd shots for the Celtics--Magic series. Does he attend some of the pro games? Possibly trying to walk a line between Dad's team and his home town pro team?

airowe
05-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Don't believe I've seen Austin in any crowd shots for the Celtics--Magic series. Does he attend some of the pro games? Possibly trying to walk a line between Dad's team and his home town pro team?

I'm not positive Austin is out of school for the Summer yet, honestly. I know his high school season is over, but I don't think any of the high schools around here are out yet.

I was expecting him to be at the TOC this coming weekend, but it looks like he will actually be joining his AAU team at the EYBL in LA...

blueprofessor
05-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Roy, Austin usually sits in section 113, row H or I (believe I) for the Magic games he attends.
He was with his mom the last playoff (home) game.
He comes to a number of reg season games.
By all accounts ( per people in same row and in front or back), he is a polite young man and is very courteous to his mom.

Best regards--Blue Prof :)

roywhite
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Roy, Austin usually sits in section 113, row H or I (believe I) for the Magic games he attends.
He was with his mom the last playoff (home) game.
He comes to a number of reg season games.
By all accounts ( per people in same row and in front or back), he is a polite young man and is very courteous to his mom.

Best regards--Blue Prof :)

A very specific Austin Rivers sighting!

And in the Austin Rivers thread, no less. :)

Thanks.

ricks68
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM

In the spirit of the revered Throatybeard, I just would like to say that if it wasn't for the off-topic posts in this thread, it would have died a long, long time ago. All this speculating appears to be just taking up server space. It seems to be becoming more and more obvious that the true purpose of this thread is an attempt to exceed the outrageously redickulous length of the former John Wall is/is not coming to Duke thread. For that to happen, however, it would have to last another year at this rate.

Therefore, in an attempt to help everyone out who is trying to eclipse the John Wall record, I am going to add that

There is (actually, was) no defense for Larry Rentz, my neighborhood friend.

Actually, Larry was an all state high school quarterback at Gables when I was there. The only reason he didn't start at quarterback for Florida was because a famous, great, very short term, future Duke football coach (who votes for us to be in the top 25 every year) was their starter that he just couldn't seem to beat out. (Gee, I wonder who that could have been?)

Larry and I used to play in pick-up neighborhood football games together with another great future Fla. high school quarterback that started for Curly. When we weren't playing football, we used to sneak over the wall at Vizcaya and fish for Snook back in the mangroves.

Larry's nickname came from his incredible ability to excel in so many different positions. He led the state in punting distance and many quarterback stats. In addition, he ran back kickoffs and punts and was our starting safety; when he wasn't in at wide receiver when Larry Davidson came in at quarterback.

I was at one game when he ran the opening kickoff back for a TD; intercepted a pass and ran it back for another after having caught a pass for one. That was after throwing for a few others. I think he might have run a punt back for one, also, but I'm not so sure about that. We won the game 42-0. Or, should I say, HE won the game 42-0. For the few in the know, it was Miami Beach High. They always had the absolutely worst football team ----------------but the absolutely best looking cheerleaders.

We did win the mythical national championship that year after beating Tampa Robinson in a driving rainstorm in Tampa by a last second Larry Davidson 35 yd field goal. 18 school buses of kids went up for the game. We all got thoroughly soaked. In addition, to back up what Blueprofessor said about those tough central Florida teams, I could swear that a lot of the Tampa Robinson players seemed a bit old to be still in high school-------because when some of them took off their helmets on the sidelines they were bald!

And yes, the big rivalry was Gables vs Miami throughout the 60's, but the oldest was Edison vs Miami. Miami was the oldest high school, but Gables was in an overlapping district. A lot of us old-time Miami families would split between the two schools pitting friend against friend. No hatred, just great competitiveness.

In the Miami-Gables game that Blueprofessor alluded to, we were down by 6 with 1:28 to play. Larry completed a pass to Miami's 8, and then two plays later took it in himself from the 3 with only 13 seconds to go. We won 14 to 13 after Larry Davidson's extra point was good.

As quoted from the front page of the Miami Herald the next day:

"He watched two plays, his time had come,
He took the ball, began to run;
The winning touchdown he could sense
For there's no defense for Larry Rentz."

(punctuation not mine.)

Larry used to stutter even more when he got excited (which was most of the time), and had teammates assigned to calm him down in the huddle. Oh, and by the way, he only weighed about 145 pounds in high school, and was 6'1". He was drafted by San Diego and played a very short time at only 170-176 lbs. He had a bad case of varicose veins that somehow contributed to his inability to bulk-up. I don't know how that relates, but maybe someone can chime in here and get even more off-topic with an explanation. (We just have to get more creative if we want to break the John Wall thread record.:p)

ricks

Dukefan4Life
05-25-2010, 01:42 AM
I have a feeling if Royboy is able to steal austin away from us it will hurt more than barnes being snatched...

Osiagledknarf
05-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I have a feeling if Royboy is able to steal austin away from us it will hurt more than barnes being snatched...

All indications are that he will not however... Austin isn't even sure if he will visit UNC this summer and you look at there recruiting class with P.J Hairston already coming in, I doubt that he will go there for that reason and his relationship with the Duke coach staff etc... I have a strong felling with UNC he is just going through the motions.

MisterRoddy
05-25-2010, 03:28 PM
According to Adam Zagoria's Twitter, Austin Rivers will take an unofficial to UCLA. It seems he has opened his recruitment up to even more schools. You guys think it's anything to be concerned about?

airowe
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
According to Adam Zagoria's Twitter, Austin Rivers will take an unofficial to UCLA. It seems he has opened his recruitment up to even more schools. You guys think it's anything to be concerned about?

He's playing in a tourney out there this weekend. Similar to how Alex Murphy and Chasson Randle are visiting Duke Monday after the TOC.

DukeBlueNV
05-25-2010, 04:34 PM

I'd say no right now... I'm not an insider but I try to follow recruiting pretty closely and Austin has pretty much said Duke is his leader. I say as long as Austin remains on target to make his decision this fall (which is his plan) then we are in good shape, if he pushes it back to the spring (which doc wants him to do) I'd get a little nervous but even if that happens I still say we would be the favorites to get him.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I'd say no right now... I'm not an insider but I try to follow recruiting pretty closely and Austin has pretty much said Duke is his leader. I say as long as Austin remains on target to make his decision this fall (which is his plan) then we are in good shape, if he pushes it back to the spring (which doc wants him to do) I'd get a little nervous but even if that happens I still say we would be the favorites to get him.

I would be so angry if he waits until the late signing period. You have all summer to look at schools and getting it done before his senior season starts would make so much sense.

DukeSean
05-25-2010, 05:48 PM

Possibly, but one reason why [player not to be mentioned] hurt was because we were mislead into thinking he was in the bag, that Duke was really in it till the end, but when he says something to the effect that "there really was no second choice" then it tastes really bad. Add to that all the ridiculous skype hype, you get my point.

With AR, I just don't see it getting that contrived and fake. I just don't. I have been wrong before (see above), but I don't think a guy like Doc would let his kid pull that kind of crap, especially with the mutual respect Doc and K seem to have for each other.

DukeBlueNV
05-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I would be so angry if he waits until the late signing period. You have all summer to look at schools and getting it done before his senior season starts would make so much sense.

It's his dad apparently who wants him to wait and consider things like who's leaving for the nba (coaches and players) so there is some logic in waiting but hopefully he stays with his plan with commiting in the fall. Even if he doesnt come to Duke waiting till spring will drive us all CRAZY.

CEF1959
05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Tough to fault a high school junior who wants to keep all his options open and make sure he surveys the whole field before deciding. Seems like a mature thing to do. What drives everyone crazy is the fact that he committed ill-advisedly in the first place. So call that a silly adolescent mistake. Now he's a normal HS prospect, whom we thought we had exclusive rights to but never did.

Dukefan4Life
05-26-2010, 06:05 PM
All indications are that he will not however... Austin isn't even sure if he will visit UNC this summer and you look at there recruiting class with P.J Hairston already coming in, I doubt that he will go there for that reason and his relationship with the Duke coach staff etc... I have a strong felling with UNC he is just going through the motions.

I sure hope you are right! But after what happen with barnes I have learned not to count my chickens before they hatch! All i know is Austin is a special talent and would love to seem him at duke.

JohnGalt
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM

I tend to ally myself with the side suggesting someone of Austin's caliber doesn't "not go to a school because of [insert player]." As arguably one of the top 5 players in high school, I respectfully opine that whichever school he selects will be the school in which he starts...from day one...regardless of who's in town.

...samesees for Kyrie.

Also, didn't "all indications" suggest Prince Harry'd be wearing Patone 287 in '10-'11?

airowe
05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Also, didn't "all indications" suggest Prince Harry'd be wearing Patone 287 in '10-'11?

...samesees for Kyrie.

JohnGalt
05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
...samesees for Kyrie.

Hmm, well, .500 in baseball's not bad, right?

airowe
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM

If you're willing to only work with a sample size of 1 or 2 to come to you're realizations, I'm not sure any level of statistical success will satisfy you.

flyingdutchdevil
05-27-2010, 09:23 AM

If this were the lottery, I'd feel pretty good

Kedsy
05-27-2010, 09:30 AM
As arguably one of the top 5 players in high school, I respectfully opine that whichever school he selects will be the school in which he starts...from day one...regardless of who's in town.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but for Austin this would be true at every school in the country.

JohnGalt
05-27-2010, 09:43 AM
If you're willing to only work with a sample size of 1 or 2 to come to you're realizations, I'm not sure any level of statistical success will satisfy you.

It seems I should make better use of the smilies when attempting points of jocularity.

My only point is we've (or at least I've) been burned once. It would be prudent to take that into consideration.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but for Austin this would be true at every school in the country.

That's it. You got it.

BD80
05-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Actually, it would put us at 1.000 with players that don't have "Jordan" in their name.

I doubt Austin grew up with a reverance of MJ. If I recall, daddy Doc squared off against MJ once or twice, their careers overlapped over ten seasons.

airowe
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Actually, it would put us at 1.000 with players that don't have "Jordan" in their name.

I doubt Austin grew up with a reverance of MJ. If I recall, daddy Doc squared off against MJ once or twice, their careers overlapped over ten seasons.

Why we'll get Austin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jTGahAcKU)

G man
05-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Why we'll get Austin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jTGahAcKU)

Just for the record if the roles were reversed Jordan would have been shooting free throws. No way that is called an offensive foul on Jordan...

Rudy
05-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Just for the record if the roles were reversed Jordan would have been shooting free throws. No way that is called an offensive foul on Jordan...

Jordan did leave his feet, so usually that would be a blocking foul on the defensive guy. I watched it twice. Jordan did go vertical with arms straight up, so it wasn't wrong to call it offensive, just rare (except as to Jordan, of course).

airowe
05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
New diary:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/05/austin-rivers-diary-planning-visits/

Daniel tosh
05-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I don’t really talk to any of the players at the schools that are recruiting me besides Kyrie Irving at Duke. I don’t really know the players at the other schools. But Kyrie and I talk about everyday things like when he’s going to Duke and what’s going on with him. We’re pretty tight.

This can only be a good sign.Right?

Azdukefan
05-27-2010, 05:23 PM
I think him and Kyrie talking is a plus but my personal opinion is that they won't play together. If we do the things we are capable of next year, K1 would be a top five pick and I would suggest he leave in that case. Austin is going to have to be one of the building blocks for us reloading. I've been wrong before but not too often!

Daniel tosh
05-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I really dont think KI would leave after one year,but I guess we'll just have to wait and see

CoBlueDevil
05-27-2010, 05:41 PM
It definitely cant be a bad thing that him and Ky talk all the time.

If Austin does end up choosing to be a Blue Devil and Ky decides to stay for his sophomore year, that would be a ridiculous backcourt. Obviously adding in Seth, Andre and Thornton.

Good diary entry overall.

Kedsy
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
New diary:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/05/austin-rivers-diary-planning-visits/

He names his five official visits, and doesn't name Texas or Kentucky, which is interesting. He also says his plan is still to decide sometime in August, which is counter to "news" we've heard recently.

airowe
05-27-2010, 07:50 PM
He names his five official visits, and doesn't name Texas or Kentucky, which is interesting. He also says his plan is still to decide sometime in August, which is counter to "news" we've heard recently.

Austin has never wavered from the August timeline. The removal of Texas especially from his list is a bit surprising to me as he's said in the past that he is friends with Myck Kabongo. Kentucky's signing of Marquis Teague probably had some impact on Austin's decision to leave them off.

G man
05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
I like what he said. Some of his schools very from time to time except DUKE! I really hope he cannot make it to a bunch of these visits. I am also very happy with his timeline!

Greg_Newton
05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
LOL@

I hear a lot of different things from the different schools. Some of them tell me how I can fit into their program, of course, and how they can see me being an All-Star and how they can see me having the same impact that Tim Tebow had in football.

Now which coach do you think told him that? :rolleyes:

muzikfrk75
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Well everybody, it looks like we're going to have to wait until August and hope for the best.

G man
05-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Better the early signing period than the spring signing period. I am not sure I could take that!

Dukefan4Life
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
It always makes me nervous about late signings..i feel more comfortable when a kids gets in the door quickly!

DukeSean
05-28-2010, 01:08 AM
I really dont think KI would leave after one year,but I guess we'll just have to wait and see

I suppose some of that depends on the potential lockout...

oldnavy
05-28-2010, 06:31 AM
It definitely cant be a bad thing that him and Ky talk all the time.

If Austin does end up choosing to be a Blue Devil and Ky decides to stay for his sophomore year, that would be a ridiculous backcourt. Obviously adding in Seth, Andre and Thornton.

Good diary entry overall.

You do realize that Ky is the abbreviation for Kentucky don't you? Please let's show Kyrie a little more respect and refer to him as Kyrie or KI, but please not Ky!! :p

CrazieDUMB
05-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I suppose some of that depends on the potential lockout...

I think even if there's a lockout they'll still have a draft. The new players just might not get paid. It would be great if that discouraged Kyrie from taking advantage of his status as the NCAA champion and came back for the threepeat with AR at his side.

Nothing to do in the summer but dream...

duke4life32182
05-28-2010, 09:10 AM
I like that dream.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Did anyone else see the part where he said he hasn't talked to Roy, but keeps in touch with Coach K and Billy D all the time? That's big to me. I find it hard to believe that he would completely flip and commit to UNC in a few months when he hasn't talked much with the coach.

oldnavy
05-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Did anyone else see the part where he said he hasn't talked to Roy, but keeps in touch with Coach K and Billy D all the time? That's big to me. I find it hard to believe that he would completely flip and commit to UNC in a few months when he hasn't talked much with the coach.

Roy doesn't take calls on the golf course, while getting massages from his massage therapist, or while shopping for bigger, heavier buses to run over his players with. Throw an unexpected recruiting need in and it has been a very busy off season for Ol Roy, give him a break. I mean this off season has been as disruptive for Ol Roy as the oil spill in the Gulf has been for the EPA!

Besides, he's Roy Williams dag gummit! All he has to do is wait and make one call and the kid will fall madly in love with him and UNC....

Come on, you have to get inside Roy's head to understand these things. ;)

budwom
05-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Austin has never wavered from the August timeline. The removal of Texas especially from his list is a bit surprising to me as he's said in the past that he is friends with Myck Kabongo. Kentucky's signing of Marquis Teague probably had some impact on Austin's decision to leave them off.

Technically you're right, airowe, but his father clearly said he expects Austin to "decide in the Spring," though he didn't say which Spring. So at least that comment failed to jibe with the August timeline. I point this out for no particular reason, because he's gonna decide when he decides and we're just going to have to wait.

MisterRoddy
05-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Technically you're right, airowe, but his father clearly said he expects Austin to "decide in the Spring," though he didn't say which Spring. So at least that comment failed to jibe with the August timeline. I point this out for no particular reason, because he's gonna decide when he decides and we're just going to have to wait.

IIRC, Doc said he "wanted" Austin to decide in the Spring. A "want" and "expectation" are very different things, imo.

I expect Austin to decide in August because, as Airowe has pointed out, he himself has never wavered from that August deadline, and, as much as I don't want to say this for fear of jumping the gun, it looks like his mind is made up. Just enjoying the recruiting process.

airowe
05-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Imagine you're coaching in the NBA Conference Finals and some jerk who works for ESPN is asking you questions about your son's college decision. What would you tell him to make him stop asking questions for the longest possible time? That he would be deciding sooner or later?

Big Pappa
05-29-2010, 07:22 PM
IIRC, Doc said he "wanted" Austin to decide in the Spring. A "want" and "expectation" are very different things, imo.

I expect Austin to decide in August because, as Airowe has pointed out, he himself has never wavered from that August deadline, and, as much as I don't want to say this for fear of jumping the gun, it looks like his mind is made up. Just enjoying the recruiting process.

Imagine you're coaching in the NBA Conference Finals and some jerk who works for ESPN is asking you questions about your son's college decision. What would you tell him to make him stop asking questions for the longest possible time? That he would be deciding sooner or later?

These are both very valid points. As airowe said, Doc is going to tell a reporter asking about Austin during the NBA playoffs whatever he can to get him away.

It somewhat reminds me of Roy when he lost the national championship at Kansas and Bonnie Bernstein asked him about the UNC job and he said, "I could give a sh** about North Carolina right now. I've got 13 kids back in that locker room that I love." Two weeks later he was the coach at UNC. Those are obviously different situations, but it just reminded me of that - a time when I didn't dislike Roy so much.

MisterRoddy
05-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Evan Daniels of Scout interviews Austin Rivers (plus highlights)

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/college-basketball?vid=91b096e3-d21f-4d27-aa5b-97deab6cb1ae

He doesnt sound as tilted to Duke as in some articles in this interview.

Jderf
05-30-2010, 01:24 AM

Personally, I've felt for a while that all the declarations of the done deal with Austin Rivers we're a little premature. There was a period when we were the only school other than Florida on his list, and everybody seemed ready for him to just put his Duke jersey on and enroll already (especially in the wake of that monstrous flood of optimism called a National Championship). Now that a couple other schools are in there, it doesn't seem so certain, especially since we don't yet know how he'll react once he gets to see a couple other campuses and meet other big-name coaches. I still think we're the frontrunners, but not by much (and maybe only because we're one of the only two known quantities for him right now). As always with recruiting, all we can do is wait and see.

Faison1
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Evan Daniels of Scout interviews Austin Rivers (plus highlights)

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/college-basketball?vid=91b096e3-d21f-4d27-aa5b-97deab6cb1ae

I am definitely not one to count my chickens before they hatch, but this interview seems to follow along the lines of what Airowe, UFBoss, etc. seem to say about his recruitment.....in other words, I don't see any real cause for concern.

He doesn't want to embarrass UF, so he's taking his time and checking out all the schools....

Beyond that, he kinda sounds/talks like Scheyer

gwlaw99
05-30-2010, 09:06 AM
UNC just got a commit from pj hariston. Hard to believe rivers would go there now.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-30-2010, 09:18 AM
UNC just got a commit from pj hariston. Hard to believe rivers would go there now.

PJ Hairston has been committed to UNC for a while now, before Rivers showed interest in them. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Cockabeau
05-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes, anything can happen in recruiting but I like Duke in this one.

yancem
05-30-2010, 09:54 AM
PJ Hairston has been committed to UNC for a while now, before Rivers showed interest in them. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Not to mention that Hairiston isn't going to take many minutes from Rivers regardless.

Duvall
05-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Not to mention that Hairiston isn't going to take many minutes from Rivers regardless.

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be that many to have an effect. How many minutes will Bullock take? How many minutes will Strickland take? How many minutes will McDonald take? How many minutes will Drew II and Marshall take at the point? There are only so minutes available at the guards spot even for UNC.

BD80
05-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Quick question to those preoccupied over Austin's "delay" in declaring a choice. What advantage is there to Austin to announce? Is there any disadvantage to a delay? Coach K preaches the value of communication; I am certain he knows what is going on. I am also certain that neither K nor the Rivers care whether we know or when we know.

Jderf
05-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Quick question to those preoccupied over Austin's "delay" in declaring a choice. What advantage is there to Austin to announce? Is there any disadvantage to a delay? Coach K preaches the value of communication; I am certain he knows what is going on. I am also certain that neither K nor the Rivers care whether we know or when we know.

I agree with you that K and Rivers probably aren't pouring over all the articles to see what everybody thinks of their recruiting developments. But, personally, I still think sooner is better than later. The way I figure, if Austin is in fact such a heavy Duke lean, then our best odds are if he commits right now. The longer it takes, the higher the probability that he changes his mind, right? Besides, all the drama seems to be setting everyone on this board against each other these days:D, so I think it's better for our sake if he commits soon.

Gthoma2a
05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
The benefit is that we have a bit of time to recruit someone else if he doesn't choose us and he won't have all of the reporters trying to get a word with him before and after his high school games, only wanting to ask him questions that have nothing to do with what he is trying to focus on. Those are the benefits and the opposite are the detriments of a long hold off.

30scheyer
05-30-2010, 11:03 AM
A development this week regarding PJ Hairston is that he announced th? he will be attending Hargrave Military Academy for his senior season and not returning to Dudley high school.

Kedsy
05-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be that many to have an effect. How many minutes will Bullock take? How many minutes will Strickland take? How many minutes will McDonald take? How many minutes will Drew II and Marshall take at the point? There are only so minutes available at the guards spot even for UNC.

Are you suggesting there will be more available backcourt minutes at Duke than at UNC in 2011-12?

I am also certain that neither K nor the Rivers care whether we know or when we know.

This could be the wisest thing that has been written in this thread.

Duvall
05-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Are you suggesting there will be more available backcourt minutes at Duke than at UNC in 2011-12?

Yes. I think Rivers would only competing with three other players for minutes instead of six. He would probably be the best guard on either team, but six is still more than three.

Kedsy
05-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes. I think Rivers would only competing with three other players for minutes instead of six. He would probably be the best guard on either team, but six is still more than three.

Sounds like you don't think Kyrie will still be around, but what if he is? And what if McDonald doesn't play at all? And what if a good number of Bullock's minutes come at the "3"? The two backcourts are similarly crowded, in my opinion.

Personally, I don't think Austin Rivers will look at any team's roster and say, 'uh-oh, there are too many guards there, I won't get enough court time.' He'll get his minutes no matter where he goes and he knows it.

JasonEvans
05-30-2010, 11:58 AM
It always makes me nervous about late signings..i feel more comfortable when a kids gets in the door quickly!

As Rivers is just coming out of the end of his Junior year, a decision in August, just before his Senior season, would still be somewhat early. It would certainly not be late. Most kids in the top 100 in Rivers' class will likely decide in the Oct-Nov time period. Probably 15-20% of them will wait until spring of 2011 to decide. Those would be the kids deciding "late."

It only feels like Rivers is waiting because we have been following this elite recruit for a while and because he committed really, really, really early to Florida.

--Jason "after his experience with Fla, I expect Rivers to be very thorough and pensive before committing again-- nothing wrong with that" Evans

MisterRoddy
05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Did anybody else sense a bit of sarcasm when Austin was talking about how UNC was going to try to "outrecruit" all the other schools? :)

budwom
05-30-2010, 02:53 PM
These are both very valid points. As airowe said, Doc is going to tell a reporter asking about Austin during the NBA playoffs whatever he can to get him away.

It somewhat reminds me of Roy when he lost the national championship at Kansas and Bonnie Bernstein asked him about the UNC job and he said, "I could give a sh** about North Carolina right now. I've got 13 kids back in that locker room that I love." Two weeks later he was the coach at UNC. Those are obviously different situations, but it just reminded me of that - a time when I didn't dislike Roy so much.

I'm as tuned in as most people about all the inside talk of Rivers coming to Duke. He probably will, and I sure hope he does.
However, some of the highly selective interpretations I've read here are just plain fatuous.

Pro Duke remarks are banked as indications he's coming for sure. Comments from his father which deviate from the accepted timeline are dismissed as attempts to get the reporter to go away. And comments from the kid himself are dismissed altogether.

I expect Rivers to commit at some point in time, but I wouldn't be stunned if he doesn't, because regardless of what people might want to think, kids DO sometimes change their minds.

Jderf
05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm as tuned in as most people about all the inside talk of Rivers coming to Duke. He probably will, and I sure hope he does.
However, some of the highly selective interpretations I've read here are just plain fatuous.

Pro Duke remarks are banked as indications he's coming for sure. Comments from his father which deviate from the accepted timeline are dismissed as attempts to get the reporter to go away. And comments from the kid himself are dismissed altogether.

I expect Rivers to commit at some point in time, but I wouldn't be stunned if he doesn't, because regardless of what people might want to think, kids DO sometimes change their minds.

Agreed. And I'll add another thing, I'll bet that if he does change his mind (though I really, really hope he doesn't), there will be at least one person on this board who claims that he acted dishonorably during his recruitment, that he somehow misled all of us into thinking he was Duke-bound and then purposefully changed so that he could crush our fragile souls - even though the belief that he was 100% Duke blue was completely manufactured by us in the first place. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Dukefan4Life
05-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Well i for one will be hurt LOL. I understand its a huge choice for these kids but as a fan it kills me to wait it out! I know they take time to chose and rightfully so but i still say there is a little gamesmanship also..

Osiagledknarf
05-31-2010, 02:14 PM
A little tid bit from Mark Watson from the Nike EYBL:

Austin Rivers is sporting Duke shorts at the Nike EYBL in Los Angeles - per BDN's Andre Slater.

http://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation/statuses/15117997795

Dukefan4Life
05-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Lets hope that"s a good sign for us! :D Right now I would like to see austin come to duke more than any kid in the country

Faison1
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
This may or may not be old/important news, and I knew it was bound to happen, but while I was checking out the Scout Prospect list, I noticed Austin has switched his interest in UNC from "Medium" to "High", and that he has received an offer.

I know these things are unreliable, but gosh, it brings back memories of HB...

Man, I was in a bad mood when Harrison announced last November. I hope if this goes the same direction, I will be better prepared mentally.....

CameronBornAndBred
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
A little tid bit from Mark Watson from the Nike EYBL:

http://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation/statuses/15117997795

I hope he bought them himself!

airowe
06-01-2010, 02:41 PM
This may or may not be old/important news, and I knew it was bound to happen, but while I was checking out the Scout Prospect list, I noticed Austin has switched his interest in UNC from "Medium" to "High", and that he has received an offer.

I know these things are unreliable, but gosh, it brings back memories of HB...

Man, I was in a bad mood when Harrison announced last November. I hope if this goes the same direction, I will be better prepared mentally.....

The players don't change their interest level on those pages. He's had an offer from carolina for a while.

Roy hasn't really even kept in touch with Austin lately.

tommy
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Angry? Really? Disappointed, sure. Nervous/concerned/apprehensive, ok. You wouldn't be alone. But angry??

Dukefan4Life
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
The players don't change their interest level on those pages. He's had an offer from carolina for a while.

Roy hasn't really even kept in touch with Austin lately.

Yeah lets hope RoyBoy has lost austins number! :D

_TheFakeJWill_
06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I personally read a lot into AR wearing Duke shorts at the Nike game. He could have worn any team... and he chose Duke. I would be worried sick if they were a lighter blue color. From all ive hear and read Austin is in the bag... didnt really feel that way with HB.

yancem
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I personally read a lot into AR wearing Duke shorts at the Nike game. He could have worn any team... and he chose Duke. I would be worried sick if they were a lighter blue color. From all ive hear and read Austin is in the bag... didnt really feel that way with HB.

Not that I am too concerned about the Rivers recruitment, but Barnes was seen wearing a Duke T on occasion so I wouldn't read too much into the shorts.

_TheFakeJWill_
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Not that I am too concerned about the Rivers recruitment, but Barnes was seen wearing a Duke T on occasion so I wouldn't read too much into the shorts.
yeah agree, but Austins middle name isn't "Jordan" either like Barnes is.... looking back HB was born to wear lite-blue... Im just glad we have Singler to post him up. but man i cant imagine the back court of Irving, Curry, Dawkins and Rivers WOW. i think im too excited about the possibilities.

Newton_14
06-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I am going with Vasher on this one. I call it "Vasher's free trial to gain credibility". The Vash man has vehemently claimed for some time now that Austin will be a Duke Blue Devil, and says he has an inside source to base the bold statements on.

So until I hear different, I am expecting Austin to commit to Duke when he decides it is time to announce his choice. :D

The Vash man has never been wrong on calls like this before either. (of course he has never been right either, since this is his first major prediction on DBR, but we won't factor that in on this one, so do not tell anyone, just stick with "Vash has never been wrong on predictions like this before!");)

So there you have it, straight from the Vash man's computer!

P.S> If Vash is wrong, we take him to the woodshed!:eek:

WiJoe
06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
I am going with Vasher on this one. I call it "Vasher's free trial to gain credibility". The Vash man has vehemently claimed for some time now that Austin will be a Duke Blue Devil, and says he has an inside source to base the bold statements on.

So until I hear different, I am expecting Austin to commit to Duke when he decides it is time to announce his choice. :D

The Vash man has never been wrong on calls like this before either. (of course he has never been right either, since this is his first major prediction on DBR, but we won't factor that in on this one, so do not tell anyone, just stick with "Vash has never been wrong on predictions like this before!");)

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html

To make a long story short, there's a sucker born every minute.

papa whiskey
06-01-2010, 10:34 PM

I agree. If Vash is right about this we will all be very happy and he will a legend for predicting it ages ago. If not..............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8

Dukefan4Life
06-01-2010, 10:50 PM
I don"t put much stock into austin wearing Duke shorts. but lets hope its an omen. I have a feeling just like barnes we will be waiting this one out till the last day..JMO though

PADukeMom
06-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I hope he bought them himself!

Or his dad :)

WiJoe
06-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Rivers recruitment is right where it should be. A little more patience from the fan base is needed for the pay off is coming.

payoff. It's one word ... noun

... nobody will be making a pay off to get Rivers to play at Duke.

gumbomoop
06-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Rivers recruitment is right where it should be. A little more patience from the fan base is needed for the pay off is coming.

I'm gonna guess that your post, and way, way especially because of the 2d bolded word/phrase, will put joy into the hearts of dozens of posters. Nay, hundreds, even unto the thousands.

I don't know that it will lead to much more patience beyond the short-term, maybe a day or two, for attention will simply focus yet more feverishly on QM, SM, AM, JPT, others.

Patience appears no virtue among fanatics, and - I'm intuiting here - almost surely holds no more appeal to UK and UNC wackos than to Duke Entitleds. We can never ever get enough, and would be substantially, but even then not fully, mollified only if our guys 4- or 5-peat. Even then - obsessed fanaticism being what it is - we'll get antsy after a couple of "down" years of only 27 or 28 wins.

We can test my [call it] hypothesis, at least the first part, soon enough, say, around April of 2013.

Greg_Newton
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Some relevant footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9K4BKkLaCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-KDXWsepI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

JBDuke
06-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Folks, I just deleted a whole bunch of posts that started with an inane question that just had to know if the outcome of the NBA finals might impact Austin's decision. That spun off into a flurry of posts about Shelden's status on the Celtics roster that had NOTHING to do with Austin's recruitment. And then THAT discussion devolved into petty bickering.

I know -jk did a minor cleanup and issued a couple of infractions. Frankly, he should have been more heavy-handed, IMO. I'm not issuing any myself, just trying to clean up the mess. However, any further posts that don't relate to Austin's decision will be cited as "needless posts" which will carry a one-point infraction per post. Any further posts that take swipes at other posters will be cited as uncivil, which carry three-point infractions.

Read the guidelines and act like grown-ups for cripes' sake.

MisterRoddy
06-17-2010, 01:22 AM
everybody (that has twitter) follow Austin Rivers on Twitter at
http://Twitter.com/austinrivers25

PS: Guys, remember it's ok to follow him but PLEASE don't say anything to him.

should_be_working
06-17-2010, 09:32 AM
everybody (that has twitter) follow Austin Rivers on Twitter at
http://Twitter.com/austinrivers25

PS: Guys, remember it's ok to follow him but PLEASE don't say anything to him.

Yeah I got a tweet from "crazietalker" that read:

Duke fans, welcome Austin Rivers
(@AustinRivers25) to Twitter!

My heart stopped a bit after reading "Rivers" and before reading the next line. I thought for sure the word "DUKE" would follow. I was extremely disappointed to read "to twitter"! You just can't do that to a Duke fan ;)

roywhite
06-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Gotta like the connection on the U-18 team that Austin will have with Kyrie Irving and Josh Hairston.

Can't hurt our chances of landing Austin.

soccerstud2210
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
gotta love that KI and QM and AR are rooming together too! that could really nice too!

monkey
06-17-2010, 11:05 AM
gotta love that KI and QM and AR are rooming together too! that could really nice too!

That's cool - query: where was that reported - didn't see it...

tbyers11
06-17-2010, 11:42 AM
That's cool - query: where was that reported - didn't see it...

It was reported in the Quincy Miller thread direct from Quincy's twitter

http://dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=415838&postcount=690

Here's the direct link (http://twitter.com/qmillertime/status/16282730604) to Quincy's tweet

airowe
06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
"Duke, Carolina, and Florida"

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/06/17/rivers-talks-usa-hoops-celtics-recruiting/

DukeBlueNV
06-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Nice little article. Its scary that he continues to mention UNC. Also its interesting to hear what we all assumed, that Kyrie was trying to get him to come to Duke. I gues that means Kyrie is planning on staying around for more than one year. I think he will be considered a top 10 (maybe top 5) pick so things can change... but it is nice to hear...

Class of '94
06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Nice little article. Its scary that he continues to mention UNC. Also its interesting to hear what we all assumed, that Kyrie was trying to get him to come to Duke. I gues that means Kyrie is planning on staying around for more than one year. I think he will be considered a top 10 (maybe top 5) pick so things can change... but it is nice to hear...

Keeping UNC in his top three is understandable. Outside of us, UNC would probably be the next best fit for him in terms of style of play, history and program success. Texas, Kansas, KY and Uconn would be good programs to go to as well; but considering the lack of NCs in recent years compared to UNC as well as some of the problems and coaching shadiness associated with some of those programs, I can see why Austin would give UNC serious consideration.

And given our loss to UNC for HB, I can see why some of us would be a little worried; but "knock on wood" I feel good about our situation with Austin and I think everything will out just fine for us when he makes his decision public.

MisterRoddy
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM

"As for when he’ll decide, Rivers said, “I’ll make that decision when it’s the right time.”

First time he hasn't definitively said August. Hopefully he isn't wavering but it sounds like he might be.

Class of '94
06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
First time he hasn't definitively said August. Hopefully he isn't wavering but it sounds like he might be.

Could be due to the influence of his father and wanting him to take his time in making his decision. And you know Doc wants to spend more time working with Austin to evaluate schools; but he simply can't do that right now due to his NBA obligations; but that will obviously change after tonight.

DukeBlueNV
06-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Keeping UNC in his top three is understandable. Outside of us, UNC would probably be the next best fit for him in terms of style of play, history and program success. Texas, Kansas, KY and Uconn would be good programs to go to as well; but considering the lack of NCs in recent years compared to UNC as well as some of the problems and coaching shadiness associated with some of those programs, I can see why Austin would give UNC serious consideration.

And given our loss to UNC for HB, I can see why some of us would be a little worried; but "knock on wood" I feel good about our situation with Austin and I think everything will out just fine for us when he makes his decision public.

100% agree. I talk to my friend at work who is a UNC fan and tell him all the time, "If Austin's goal is to be a part of an big-time program and get lots of mins UNC might actually be the better spot. At Duke he will have more competition for mins but he would probably be on a better team." My friend allready given-up on getting Rivers but I tell him a lot can change. (HB being the main example) We'll have to see how it all plays out. I also feel good about or chances but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Duvall
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
100% agree. I talk to my friend at work who is a UNC fan and tell him all the time, "If Austin's goal is to be a part of an big-time program and get lots of mins UNC might actually be the better spot. At Duke he will have more competition for mins but he would probably be on a better team."

Well, maybe. At UNC Rivers would almost certainly face more competition for minutes - right now UNC already projects to have six other players competing for minutes at the two guard spots, and that isn't counting Harrison Barnes. Duke only projects to have four players competing for those minutes, and one of them will have a chance to be a top-five pick in the 2011 Draft. But Rivers might face better competition for minutes at Duke, since at least three of the six UNC players have been known to stink.

MisterRoddy
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
100% agree. I talk to my friend at work who is a UNC fan and tell him all the time, "If Austin's goal is to be a part of an big-time program and get lots of mins UNC might actually be the better spot. At Duke he will have more competition for mins but he would probably be on a better team." My friend allready given-up on getting Rivers but I tell him a lot can change. (HB being the main example) We'll have to see how it all plays out. I also feel good about or chances but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.
for 2011-2012, at the guard position, UNC already has:
Reggie Bullock (SO)
Dexter Strickland (JR)
Kendall Marshall (SO)
PJ Hairston (FR)
Leslie McDonald (JR)
Larry Drew (SR)
Justin Watts (SR)

Now, IMO, Austin is better than all of these players and no doubt Austin isn't worrying about minutes but as far as if he would get more minutes at Carolina than Duke, I'm not so sure about that as many of these players will be solid contributors and demand PT at UNC, making it a little more interesting where PT is concerned.

As for hopes being too high for Austin to come, I believe that ship has sailed with me.

EDIT: To add to what Duvall and I were saying, here is what Duke's guard situation should look like:
Seth Curry (JR)
Kyrie Irving (SO) - hopefully
Andre Dawkins (JR)
Tyler Thornton (SO)
Michael Gbinije (FR)

(Keep in mind, a few of these players (Dawkins and Gbinije?) will be playing a good majority of the minutes at the 3 so that just opens up more time for AR at the 2 (and possibly 1).

monkey
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM

need .... commitment .... please ... no more wait ...

BD80
06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Gotta like the connection on the U-18 team that Austin will have with Kyrie Irving and Josh Hairston.

Can't hurt our chances of landing Austin.

But don't we have to worry abut the carolina commits in his ear at the same time?

He, he, he.

It's good to be King.

airowe
06-17-2010, 04:07 PM
But don't we have to worry abut the carolina commits in his ear at the same time?

He, he, he.

It's good to be King.

If McAdoo gets his GED early, that will be the only two possible carolina guys to play for their country backing out for their own betterment...

hedevil
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Come on Kyrie and Josh. Work some magic guys.(Austin);)

I can only speak for myself, but the thought of going to Duke with a chance to win a 3rd NC (hopefully) in a row would be quite tempting to say the least. More than tempting. Between Kyrie, Josh, coach Capel, and those three beautiful letters (USA) that these kids are representing (like the men's USA team), Austin must be feeling like he's at Duke already.

I thought coach K had alot of talent to work/play with. Coach Capel should have a blast with these guys.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't have much going for me right now. I am in a city where I don't know a lot of people, other than people at my office and my girlfriend and I just last night ended our 4 year relationship which I came out here for a couple years ago. :( It'll take a lot more right now for me to feel good again, but a commitment from Austin in the next month would certainly help. :)

Any other words of encouragement some have would help. This sucks.

oldnavy
06-17-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't have much going for me right now. I am in a city where I don't know a lot of people, other than people at my office and my girlfriend and I just last night ended our 4 year relationship which I came out here for a couple years ago. :( It'll take a lot more right now for me to feel good again, but a commitment from Austin in the next month would certainly help. :)

Well, put your hope and faith in the Lord, He never will let you down.. Duke basketball recruits and women, well that is a whole different story! Hang in there kid, it is always the darkest just before the dawn. Corny but true!

duketaylor
06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Expect an announcement in the next two weeks or so.

DukeBlueNV
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, maybe. At UNC Rivers would almost certainly face more competition for minutes - right now UNC already projects to have six other players competing for minutes at the two guard spots, and that isn't counting Harrison Barnes. Duke only projects to have four players competing for those minutes, and one of them will have a chance to be a top-five pick in the 2011 Draft. But Rivers might face better competition for minutes at Duke, since at least three of the six UNC players have been known to stink.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.
for 2011-2012, at the guard position, UNC already has:
Reggie Bullock (SO)
Dexter Strickland (JR)
Kendall Marshall (SO)
PJ Hairston (FR)
Leslie McDonald (JR)
Larry Drew (SR)
Justin Watts (SR)

Now, IMO, Austin is better than all of these players and no doubt Austin isn't worrying about minutes but as far as if he would get more minutes at Carolina than Duke, I'm not so sure about that as many of these players will be solid contributors and demand PT at UNC, making it a little more interesting where PT is concerned.

As for hopes being too high for Austin to come, I believe that ship has sailed with me.

EDIT: To add to what Duvall and I were saying, here is what Duke's guard situation should look like:
Seth Curry (JR)
Kyrie Irving (SO) - hopefully
Andre Dawkins (JR)
Tyler Thornton (SO)
Michael Gbinije (FR)

(Keep in mind, a few of these players (Dawkins and Gbinije?) will be playing a good majority of the minutes at the 3 so that just opens up more time for AR at the 2 (and possibly 1).

You guys are right, there is definitly more bodies on UNC's roster but I think he would get more mins when going against their guys compared to ours. (jrs curry and dawkins along with soph. kyrie might be the best backcourt in the nation)

hedevil
06-17-2010, 06:21 PM
duketaylor- Seriously?

Kedsy
06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
You guys are right, there is definitly more bodies on UNC's roster but I think he would get more mins when going against their guys compared to ours. (jrs curry and dawkins along with soph. kyrie might be the best backcourt in the nation)

It's kind of a moot discussion. The top recruit in the country will get plenty of minutes at Duke or UNC. It just depends where he decides he wants to go.

DukeBlueNV
06-17-2010, 06:27 PM
It's kind of a moot discussion. The top recruit in the country will get plenty of minutes at Duke or UNC. It just depends where he decides he wants to go.

No one is disagreeing with that... the origin of this topic came from the idea that UNC is a good spot for Austin (if we are willing to take our Duke Blue blinders off).

MisterRoddy
06-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Irving, Rivers, Curry, Dawkins is just downright scary to think about.
Although our backcourt this year is pretty scary in its own right :)
Its very good to be a Blue Devil right now.

Originially Posted By Kedsy

This is true but whenever the opposition for a recruit already has around 7 guys combined at that recruits possible positions, it can't bode well for them.

hedevil
06-17-2010, 06:36 PM
MisterRoddy- I think you meant to reverse Smith with Dawkins in your lineup there. Simple mistake.:)

Duke Mom
06-17-2010, 06:39 PM

It's ok to take some time to feel sad, you're entitled, but then come up with some strategies for meeting people where you live - whether it be guys or gals. Some folks let friendships slide when they're involved in "a relationship" and I'm not sure that's such a great idea.

Join a sports league you can play in, like basketball or softball, check out the local Y for social events or fun classes (wine tasting, bridge), perhaps there is a college nearby where you could take a class or attend events, get involved in the nearest Duke Alumni association or join a group that's involved in your favorite hobby, volunteer work is great, too (politics, youth groups). You will feel better as you begin to connect with more people in your area.

And never think that you don't have a lot going for you...I'm sure there's a long list of terrific qualities that you do have going for you. Just need to make (and take) some action plans to create a satisfying quality of life. Keep smiling! :)

airowe
06-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Don't be disappointed if its more like 2 months or so.

MisterRoddy
06-17-2010, 06:44 PM
MisterRoddy- I think you meant to reverse Smith with Dawkins in your lineup there. Simple mistake.:)

Thanks for catching the mistake, it's fixed.

I guess I was a little too excited.

Class of '94
06-17-2010, 06:45 PM

As many posters have asked people that have made statements similar to this in the past with respect to impending recruiting announcements, what leads you to believe an annoucement is coming that soon? And do you have evidence to support this or is this just your opinion?

MisterRoddy
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
As many posters have asked people that have made statements similar to this in the past with respect to impending recruiting announcements, what leads you to believe an annoucement is coming that soon? And do you have evidence to support this or is this just your opinion?

In doing some DBR stalking, duketaylor isn't exactly another Cockabeau (in making outlandish statements) and he did accurately predict Carrick being a done deal before he committed, but I, too, would like some evidence duketaylor.

Duke Mom
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I was wondering - if I had a son who was one of the top high school players in the country, being recruited by the best schools - what would be the thought process involved in analyzing our choices? What guides a parent and student athlete towards or away from certain choices? Who the coach is, the abilities of the other players are on the team, amount of possible playing time, resources for athletic development, academics, how successful previous players were getting to the NBA - or does the gut feeling about a place and it's culture over-ride these other issues? What would you want for your son?

hedevil
06-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Dukemom- Good question. I think Duke meets (in some cases exceeds in/at) all of the examples that you listed. In Austin's case, I also think relationships with your teammates has to be near the top of the list when considering where to go. Luckily for Duke, Austin has already made it pretty clear that he has a special relationship with Kyrie Irving (whom he also is rooming with as we speak;)). Obviously I don't know the players/staffs of other schools to the extent that I feel like I know a little something about each of Duke's guys/personalities. What I do know, is that Duke seems to have a great group of young men that any kid would be happy to play with and be around.

Teammates/coaches = Family for a player. I can't think of a better family than the Duke family.

oldnavy
06-18-2010, 07:30 AM
what happened? how did you go to UNC and not remain a UNC fan? I mean, daggum... you were there for the MJ years!!!

Never was a UNC fan. Grew up a Dukie, suffered through the early 70's, cried like a baby in 74' (8 pts 17 sec) what can I say? Once it is in your blood....

But back to Austin. I think that having KI and Josh Hairston in his ear and on the same court gives us a leg up. Hopefully they will bond and Austin will want to come play along side them at Duke. Recruiting is a funny business, but I look at little edges like this as positives. Sort of like I hold out hope that QM is a Duke fan, and it is in his blood...

PADukeMom
06-18-2010, 02:29 PM

So basically 14 more days of holding my breath:rolleyes:

Anyone hear a rumor that Doc Rivers is leaving the Celtics?

WiJoe
06-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Anyone who thinks this is going to end in two weeks - or two MONTHS - is absolutely, certifiably insane.

airowe
06-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Anyone who thinks this is going to end in two weeks - or two MONTHS - is absolutely, certifiably insane.

I agree with you on the two weeks thing as Austin will either still be with the USA team, or just starting his break, but EVERYTHING I've heard was supposed to happen has happened and all of those plans led to an August announcement. I know some sites are expecting an earlier announcement, but that doesn't jive with what I'm hearing.

MisterRoddy
06-18-2010, 03:54 PM

What, is it two days now?

uh_no
06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
not that it means anything

mike francessa today said UK had AR locked up

but Mike Francessa is an absolute moron....and if this information was stock, i'd short sell it

Duke Mom
06-18-2010, 10:06 PM
And I for one am incredibly pleased that players like ***** have not attended Duke during the K era. We simply do not offer players that carry that sort of baggage. ... How seflish can a player be to show a continuous lack of emotional control for all those years. How many points has he given away due to his tantrums? How many times has he cost his team victory?

This quote is taken from another thread, and I've deleted the name of the player being written about, in an effort to avoid an unrelated conversation on this thread. However, the idea that the Duke basketball program attracts and wants players who have self-control and maturity is one that would have great appeal to me as a parent, looking to guide my son towards a quality college basketball program with quality people.

The fact is, college athletes invest tremendous time, effort and emotion into the (potentially) four years they are part of a team and at a young age make big sacrifices socially, academically and in terms of their ability to fully experience college life. Some continue on to professional sports, most do not. I would hope that my son would get at least as much out of such a program as he devoted to it.

Some young men show up with great character and others are helped along to develop this potential. But the potential must be there in the first place. I remember how impressed I was, during this past season, when Nolan Smith was physically confronted by a player from an opposing team (can't remember exactly who it was, but the kid slapped Nolan in the head), and after this player laid a hand on Nolan, Nolan stood his ground but did not physically engage. Nolan's teammates were quickly by his side and helped him walk away. Self discipline, maturity and restraint all add up to professionalism and sportsman-like conduct, which are qualities I have seen in our Duke teams since I have been involved with the university.

I would want my son to be surrounded by other players who hold such character traits in high regard and by coaches who insist on young men who embrace them. You can't necessarily measure great character in dollars and cents, but as far as I'm concerned it's priceless and can last a life-time.

Class of '94
06-18-2010, 11:12 PM
not that it means anything

mike francessa today said UK had AR locked up

but Mike Francessa is an absolute moron....and if this information was stock, i'd short sell it

Definitely doesn't align with Austin been saying recently......But I'm curious to know what he's heard to base that statement on. Do you or anyone else know?

roywhite
06-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Definitely doesn't align with Austin been saying recently......But I'm curious to know what he's heard to base that statement on. Do you or anyone else know?

The guy at the diner told him; Mad Dog Russo told him; one of his radio show callers told him?

Francessa probably knows what's he talking about when he comes to the Yankees or Mets or Rangers, but his comments on something like this aren't worth much.

I still remember when Duke was making their first title run in 1991; Francessa had a gig at CBS at the time as a studio analyst; he picked against Duke nearly every game in the tournament; I think he predicted Duke losses to Iowa (Duke wasn't as athletic), UConn, St. John's and UNLV.

Excuse the rant; I don't think Francessa is credible here.

Sgt. Dingleberry
06-19-2010, 10:40 AM
The guy at the diner told him; Mad Dog Russo told him; one of his radio show callers told him?

Francessa probably knows what's he talking about when he comes to the Yankees or Mets or Rangers, but his comments on something like this aren't worth much.

I still remember when Duke was making their first title run in 1991; Francessa had a gig at CBS at the time as a studio analyst; he picked against Duke nearly every game in the tournament; I think he predicted Duke losses to Iowa (Duke wasn't as athletic), UConn, St. John's and UNLV.

Excuse the rant; I don't think Francessa is credible here.

Mike Francessa...lol....Is that guy still pretending to be a journalist? The only thing I might take Francessa's word on is where Bill Parcells ate dinner last night...

uh_no
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM

he probably hasn't heard anything to base that statement on.....but if mike francessa says it on air, it must be gospel....or so the people who actually like him think

JBDuke
06-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I've just deleted a bunch of posts that were off-topic and basically consisted of a "mine's bigger than yours" contest.

Keep this thread on-topic please. Austin Rivers. Potential Duke player.