PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

dukeballboy88
04-29-2010, 12:36 AM
has rivers said when he plans to make his decision?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-29-2010, 12:43 AM
End of summer, but some say he may in the next couple of weeks.

oldnavy
04-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Reading that, it seemed a little confusing but as long as we are still the favorite that's cool.

HEY, how about the "fact" that he didn't mention UNC... I mean if we are looking for signs, let's not overlook this one!!

Honestly, this is interesting stuff to speculate on, but I hope most people take all this with a grain of salt...

yancem
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
With Tony Wroten Jr. leaning towards going to UK and Dorron Lamb looking like a guy who will stay more then 1 year at UK, I doubt they have room to get Rivers, Teague, Wroten and Lamb the minutes they all deserve so I don't think UK has a legit chance at Rivers.

I don't understand this logic at all. I've seen several people post how he won't go to this school or that school because there will be too many guards. Are you forgetting that Duke will have Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije, Thornton and hopefully Irving when Rivers would show up on campus? Duke is as stacked in the backcourt as anyone else recruiting Rivers and I'm willing to bet that Rivers isn't too worried about minutes wherever he decides to go. He may not necessarily start but he is too good to keep of the court.

Kedsy
04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't understand this logic at all. I've seen several people post how he won't go to this school or that school because there will be too many guards. Are you forgetting that Duke will have Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije, Thornton and hopefully Irving when Rivers would show up on campus? Duke is as stacked in the backcourt as anyone else recruiting Rivers and I'm willing to bet that Rivers isn't too worried about minutes wherever he decides to go. He may not necessarily start but he is too good to keep of the court.

I agree with this, except for the "not necessarily start" part. He will start wherever he ends up.

SilkyJ
04-29-2010, 12:40 PM
but I hope most people take all this with a grain of salt...

How 'bout a few teaspoons.

That was about the least reliable thing I've read relating to Rivers, and there's been some nonsense out there.

CoBlueDevil
04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree with this, except for the "not necessarily start" part. He will start wherever he ends up.

I definitely agree with this statement. He is too good to not start wherever he goes.

Thinking of 2011-2012: If Ky goes pro after his rook season (hopefully not!), then Curry can start at PG with Rivers at the two and Dawkins at the three. But if Ky stays it will be a little more jam-packed in the backcourt with Irving, Curry, Rivers, Dawkins and Gbinije and Thornton. PG: Irving, SG: Rivers, SG: Dawkins/Curry/Gbinije. Thats a lot of firepower.

Wishful thinking that Rivers becomes a Dukie!

clg003
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Come on I don't think Thornton is going to worry someone of Rivers caliber. As well Gbinije is Forward and not a guard. As well Irving could very well be a one and done. but I have heard that we are going to have a new walk on guard next year that might sway River's decision.

roywhite
04-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Come on I don't think Thornton is going to worry someone of Rivers caliber. As well Gbinije is Forward and not a guard. As well Irving could very well be a one and done. but I have heard that we are going to have a new walk on guard next year that might sway River's decision.

What's that last comment about?

I don't see where a walk-on guard would have an effect on Rivers' decison.

Kedsy
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
What's that last comment about?

I don't see where a walk-on guard would have an effect on Rivers' decison.

He was joking Roy. He was taking the old Rivers-might-be-concerned-about-playing-time-because-team-X-has-a-loaded-backcourt argument and stretching it to absurdity, hoping to refute the argument once and for all, while also achieving a comic effect.

He could probably have done it better, but I agree with his sentiment.

hedevil
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
What roywhite said.

I don't get how a walk on affects AR decision.:confused:

hedevil
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Just saw Kedsy response.

Please disregard.

roywhite
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
He was joking Roy. He was taking the old Rivers-might-be-concerned-about-playing-time-because-team-X-has-a-loaded-backcourt argument and stretching it to absurdity, hoping to refute the argument once and for all, while also achieving a comic effect.

He could probably have done it better, but I agree with his sentiment.

Yeah, that makes sense. With some of the newer posters, I'm not able to separate sarcasm from wild speculation. :)

CEF1959
04-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I hope Austin annouces soon. I don't know if my limited emotional capacity can bear another Harrison Barnes-like minute-by-minute reading of tea leaves.

Oh, and Austin: We love your game and want you badly.

DukeSean
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I hope Austin annouces soon. I don't know if my limited emotional capacity can bear another Harrison Barnes-like minute-by-minute reading of tea leaves.

You can always avoid drinking tea and not read this thread :D Oh wait, that must be pretty hard to do when it's in bold cause there's a new post...

ChicagoCrazy84
04-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Oh, and Austin: We love your game and want you badly.

Hey now, that's taking this recruiting thing a bit too far :D

I agree though, I hope he announces sooner than later. I have been doing a decent job myself with staying away from recruiting unlike previously HB and KI. Feels like crunch time though with him so hopefully we hear some good rumblings in the coming summer.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-29-2010, 08:23 PM
There are a lot of rumors going on around the TDD board.

yancem
04-29-2010, 08:27 PM

For the most part I agree that Rivers should start where ever he signs but I am going to with hold final judgment until I see Curry play next season. There are reports that he is as good as his brother (or possibly better) and if they prove to be true, he might be able to force Rivers to come off the bench. Maybe a long shot but I want to see Curry play first.

Newton_14
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
There are a lot of rumors going on around the TDD board.

Good rumors? Bad rumors? Inbetween rumors?

Care to elaborate a little?

Not that rumors are allowed around here, cause clearly they are not!:D

But just what kind of rumors are we speaking of here?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Good rumors? Bad rumors? Inbetween rumors?

Care to elaborate a little?

Not that rumors are allowed around here, cause clearly they are not!:D

Great Rumors, talks of him already commiting. But you should read for yourself, because I really don't want to speculate.

Greg_Newton
04-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Good - decision within a month, etc, even whispers of the mythical

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/smallestminority/gerbil.jpg

:eek:

BD80
04-29-2010, 09:09 PM

That's no ordinary gerbil!

Newton_14
04-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Great Rumors, talks of him already commiting. But you should read for yourself, because I really don't want to speculate.

Cool. Great rumors they are then. No need to look for myself. I am good with your take on it. We will know one way or the other soon enough anyway..

Newton_14
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM

That's awesome. Fear the Gerbil!:eek:

AisanderD
04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Man, this thread got off track in a hurry. Anyone got actual Austin Rivers news? If not, then I'm going to start posting more fuzzy creatures with toy weapons.:rolleyes:

roywhite
04-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Man, this thread got off track in a hurry. Anyone got actual Austin Rivers news? If not, then I'm going to start posting more fuzzy creatures with toy weapons.:rolleyes:

For those that may find this reference puzzling, it's kind of an inside recruit-nik joke reference.

Silent verbal = violent gerbil

"Silent verbal" meaning that a recruit in question has made a commitment to a particular University but the news has not been made public yet.

Duvall
04-29-2010, 10:02 PM

There's not going to *be* any Austin Rivers news until he announces his decision. Until then, all that we'll see are people hinting at rumors that he's given a silent verbal commitment to Duke by posting pictures of "violent gerbils."

-jk
04-29-2010, 10:47 PM
For those that may find this reference puzzling, it's kind of an inside recruit-nik joke reference.

Silent verbal = violent gerbil

"Silent verbal" meaning that a recruit in question has made a commitment to a particular University but the news has not been made public yet.

Is there any relation between violent gerbils and closing the doors of Barnes'?

Bloody metaphors...

-jk

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-29-2010, 10:56 PM
I hope this news is true, according to HighSchool Hoops he's the second best player in ALL of High school, even better than kyrie, Josh shelby, Harrison, and many others.

Mike Corey
04-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Violent gerbils originated in the hinterlands of internet message boards in the early 2000s, but have since migrated across the web. They're known for invoking unwarranted anxiety in some, and hope in others. They're very dangerous in that they multiply quickly, and can only be killed by...judicial gerbils.

Newton_14
04-29-2010, 11:07 PM

So as you now see, the thread did not get off track at all. Every one of those posts were about the recruitment of Rivers, just not in a normal way.;)

Reading the tea leaves is a tricky thing indeed!:D

Gewebe14
04-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Violent gerbils originated in the hinterlands of internet message boards in the early 2000s, but have since migrated across the web. They're known for invoking unwarranted anxiety in some, and hope in others. They're very dangerous in that they multiply quickly, and can only be killed by...judicial gerbils.

What are their primary strengths and weaknesses?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-29-2010, 11:12 PM
So as you now see, the thread did not get off track at all. Every one of those posts were about the recruitment of Rivers, just not in a normal way.;)

Reading the tea leaves is a tricky thing indeed!:D

You spoke to soon, hahaha

airowe
04-29-2010, 11:44 PM

It is hard to measure a violent gerbil's strengths, but it is usually done so in cinder blocks. There is still ongoing discussion as to whether the "space" between the blocks should be factored in and I'm sure a consensus will be reached at some point in 2011.

As for weaknesses, there is really only one. Like Kyle Singler's dreams, they can not be proven or disproven to actually exist. Singler's dreams because there is no consensus that he actually sleeps and violent gerbils because it is hard to prove a silent verbal.

Can you prove an invisible sight? I didn't think so.

How about an inaudible sound? Impossible.

The ever elusive violent gerbil may or may not exist. But that is up to the believer.

moonpie23
04-29-2010, 11:57 PM
the dimensional analysis for the gerbil is:

furlongs/fortnight

AisanderD
04-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Violent Gerbil sounds like something akin to Big Foot. Does he exist? Perhaps yes, perhaps no...
http://www.w3bbo.com/forums/Thread-Crap-SickGerbil.jpg

WiJoe
04-30-2010, 12:01 AM
You know, if Austin drops in and reads this _ _ _ _ ...

Just sayin'

striker219
04-30-2010, 12:04 AM
It is hard to measure a violent gerbil's strengths, but it is usually done so in cinder blocks. There is still ongoing discussion as to whether the "space" between the blocks should be factored in and I'm sure a consensus will be reached at some point in 2011.

As for weaknesses, there is really only one. Like Kyle Singler's dreams, they can not be proven or disproven to actually exist. Singler's dreams because there is no consensus that he actually sleeps and violent gerbils because it is hard to prove a silent verbal.

The ever elusive violent gerbil may or may not exist. But that is up to the believer.

I always wondered when the Internet would peak, and there it is. I'm just glad I could be here for it.

Jderf
04-30-2010, 03:32 AM

Genius.

oldnavy
04-30-2010, 06:06 AM

Good points Airowe, but I would like to see that picture of the gerbil in front of a cinder block wall to gauge his err... "wing span" (or should it be paw span?). I am guessing that the violent gerbil in that picture has a paw span of about 4 inches. I measured a couple of palms today (well actually just my palm, but I did it several times, but let's not get to caught up on proper study design here) and the average width is just over 3.85". So, that would put violent gerbil in the 4 inch range which is probably a little too short for him to compete at a DI school...

HOWEVER!! Cinder blocks should never be used to measure gerbil strength!!

I tested a method of measuring gerbil strength using a cinder block, and the results were disastrous and quit haunting. I suggest that perhaps we should use some other wall building material such as Lego's in testing the strength of violent gerbils in the future.

p.s. There will be a memorial for my gerbil "Mr. Greer" this weekend. The family is requesting donations to the GFW "Gerbils of Foreign Wars" be made in lieu of flowers. Thanks.

BD80
04-30-2010, 07:27 AM
... So, that would put violent gerbil in the 4 inch range which is probably a little too short for him to compete at a DI school ...

Even though 43% of the gerbils tested scored higher than Derick Rose on his first three SAT exams, it has been concluded that it will be impossible for gerbils to become and stay academically eligible, and thus will not be eligible for DI competition.

To bring this back to Austin Rivers. Are we allowed to speculate why the gerbil is violent? I think it is daddy issues.

moonpie23
04-30-2010, 07:47 AM
let's stop with the gerbil stuff and get back to AUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSTTTTTIIIIIINNNNNN RIIIIIIIVVVVEEEEERRRRRSSSSSS!

MChambers
04-30-2010, 08:01 AM

Anyone got a picture of a judicial gerbil?;)

Nrrrrvous
04-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Who is this Austin Rivers and why do people keep trying to interrupt the intelligent discussion of vigilante rodents with him?

gumbomoop
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
let's stop with the gerbil stuff and get back to AUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSTTTTTIIIIIINNNNNN RIIIIIIIVVVVEEEEERRRRRSSSSSS!

If I understand what's going on - a phrase I could fairly utter pretty much 24/7/365 - about the only quasi-news these days re AR concerns a hypothetical, or at least hypothetically, violent gerbil. Only if the gerbil proves to be violent in fact, rather than speculatively so, do we move a step closer to real news. I think.

CrazieDUMB
04-30-2010, 08:59 AM
They should have pushed his visit back a few days to LDOC. I bet we would've gotten an announced gerbil.http://joshzana.com/projects/website2002/gerbil.jpg

SilkyJ
04-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Strengths:
Cross(over)bow skills

JasonEvans
04-30-2010, 03:23 PM
What this thread really needs right about now is Oolong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolong_(rabbit))!

http://erroraccessdenied.com/files/images/bunny.jpg

--Jason "someone had to do it" Evans

MChambers
04-30-2010, 03:34 PM
What this thread really needs right about now is Oolong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolong_(rabbit))!

http://erroraccessdenied.com/files/images/bunny.jpg

--Jason "someone had to do it" Evans

I come here to get updates on gerbils, violent or otherwise, and you're wasting my time with rabbits! Please keep this thread on topic.

DukeBlueNV
04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
i've been looking at some other boards the last few days (TDD, and Devils Ill.) and even on the free boards everyone on there seems like it is a done deal with rivers... i want to believe all the rumors but i dont want to get my hopes up and rivers end up somewhere else...

billyj
04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
How are rabbit, gerbil, and hamster ranked on rivals.com? Also can we get an update on their wing(or claw)-span measured in cinder blocks?

airowe
04-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Austin vs. Brad Beal

http://www.youtube.com/user/Yayareasfinest2006#p/search/0/S2hNZiFvr2c

Class of '94
04-30-2010, 04:17 PM
How are rabbit, gerbil, and hamster ranked on rivals.com? Also can we get an update on their wing(or claw)-span measured in cinder blocks?

This has gotten waaaayyyyyy out of hand and off topic. :) Can we get back to speculating and passing on rumors about Austin that people have heard. :D

billyj
04-30-2010, 04:22 PM
This has gotten waaaayyyyyy out of hand and off topic. :) Can we get back to speculating and passing on rumors about Austin that people have heard. :D

I think we are just bored out of our minds speculating on Austin Rivers. :cool:

BD80
04-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I come here to get updates on gerbils, violent or otherwise, and you're wasting my time with rabbits! Please keep this thread on topic.

Oh, come on. Read the darn regulations! Rabbits are sufficiently related to gerbils to be considered on topic. I believe this was discussd in detail in the "Andre Buckner is a man, Matt Doherty is a gerbil" thread back in 2003. After all, its not like we're not talking about meerkats! This is a basketball board for goodness sake.

Second, a pancake bunny is ALWAYS on topic (its in the rules).

CEF1959
04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
What ever came of the rumor that AR opened up his recruitment to UNC because Duke inked MG? [He asked, hoping for fewer than three gerbil references}.

Class of '94
04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh, come on. Read the darn regulations! Rabbits are sufficiently related to gerbils to be considered on topic. I believe this was discussd in detail in the "Andre Buckner is a man, Matt Doherty is a gerbil" thread back in 2003. After all, its not like we're not talking about meerkats! This is a basketball board for goodness sake.

Second, a pancake bunny is ALWAYS on topic (its in the rules).

LOL!!!! This thread has been completely derailed. :)

El_Diablo
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm confused...is this now a TDD forum?

oldnavy
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Well, I bet that gun toten' gerbil is a dumb redneck!

Sorry, I have self control issues....

BD80
04-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, I bet that gun toten' gerbil is a dumb redneck!

Sorry, I have self control issues....

:D:D:D:D

Dr Ian Malcolm would call this an example of chaos theory, nature will find a way. They can close one thread but ...

BTW not all gerbils are rednecks, many enjoy hip-hop and rap. Few drive pick-ups.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Any new interview?

Duvall
04-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Any new interview?

What, since last Saturday?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
What, since last Saturday?

I don't know, anything but what's being talked about right now.

Tappan Zee Devil
04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

I've heard some very good music in Austin :rolleyes:

MisterRoddy
04-30-2010, 06:00 PM
What exactly does "Austin Rivers, you're on the clock" mean...via TDD forums

Class of '94
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
I've heard some very good music in Austin :rolleyes:

I should have seen that coming....:)

striker219
05-01-2010, 12:32 AM
We should be careful with this thread, or this could happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvU3cE8KO0

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-01-2010, 12:42 AM
We should be careful with this thread, or this could happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvU3cE8KO0

At first I thought this was HB commiting to Unc, but then I seen it was more funny business.

papa whiskey
05-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I want to read new information on Austin Rivers. Someone please post something. Rumors, speculation, anything to stop the tremors. I'm withdrawing people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Class of '94
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I want to read new information on Austin Rivers. Someone please post something. Rumors, speculation, anything to stop the tremors. I'm withdrawing people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you (along with myself as well) have asked for this, I'll take a stab at it in an effort to get this thread going again.

How this for speculation: Maybe the reason that there is not much out there about Austin Rivers is because all the rumors and innuedos about Austin giving a silent verbal to Duke is true; that way you wouldn't hear much because the team and everyone associated with the program is waiting for Austin to make it "public" when he is ready to.

I know this is a pretty bad attempt.....But hey, I tried. Does anyone know what the IC board is currently saying about AR? I've made it a policy not to personally go to that site out of fear of losing my grip on reality.

CrazieDUMB
05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Maybe there's nothing to say because it's May 3

Class of '94
05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe there's nothing to say because it's May 3

Yeah....But recruiting and recruiting news is a 24-7, 365 days per year job. :) Something recruiting related concerning AR has to be out there somewhere.

roywhite
05-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I know this is a pretty bad attempt.....But hey, I tried. Does anyone know what the IC board is currently saying about AR? I've made it a policy not to personally go to that site out of fear of losing my grip on reality.

Doesn't appear to be hot topic on IC...perhaps they're realizing Austin may be headed to Duke?

Still some posts about who placed a phone call to whom---did Camp Rivers call UNC and establish contact, or did Ole Roy go fishing and call Camp Rivers first? And a few posts about ah, we're pretty well set at that position anyway, blah, blah, blah.

To the original title of this thread....there's not even much smoke over there about AR.

wilko
05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I drift in and out of this thread from time to time..
So forgive me if I am being as thick as a brick...

I think the rodents bearing arms are cute and funny and all that. Very lovable militia rodents..

But really, what good is a silent verbal?

"I'll go with you to the prom, but don't tell anyone.."
That would sound like someone still looking at options...

Now I *guess* of course, it could have some strategic implications in a larger chess game of where the recruits ultimately land. To bluff another program and leave some Coach out in the cold when the music stops...

It seems to me a bird in the hand, applies... Take the best option on the table.
If I was going to the prom with one of the candidates for prom queen, I'd want everyone to know... I'd expect her to do like wise for the captain for the football team...

Seems the "bluff" is a very very difficult game to manage.

LSanders
05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
"I'll go with you to the prom, but don't tell anyone.."

Made me laugh ... Good analogy!!

scottdude8
05-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Guys, it seems as if there just is no news about Rivers... I have a friend who belongs to one of the premium sites who constantly assures me that it isn't a matter of if, but when, with Austin. Now you can take that as you will, since I haven't seen the info myself since i'm not a member of any premium sites, but I think that with the position we're in no news is good news.

airowe
05-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I heard some guy's sister's boyfriend's cousin on Rivals.com was at the Baskin Robbins and they said that Austin Rivers was soing to be a Blue Devil. They also said that Ferris Bueller was dying.

MChambers
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I heard some guy's sister's boyfriend's cousin on Rivals.com was at the Baskin Robbins and they said that Austin Rivers was soing to be a Blue Devil. They also said that Ferris Bueller was dying.

Any violent gerbils? ;)

BD80
05-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Any violent gerbils? ;)

Why do you think Ferris was dying?

scottdude8
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Touche, airowe. That post wasn't meant to imply anything about any sort of knowledge I have (I have zero, just to be clear), just show that we shouldn't be panicking because there is no news. For example, remember the couple weeks between Kyrie's visit and his eventual commitment? Many of us were freaking out then, yet it all worked out in the end... despite the very little news coming out of his camp.

Class of '94
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Touche, airowe. That post wasn't meant to imply anything about any sort of knowledge I have (I have zero, just to be clear), just show that we shouldn't be panicking because there is no news. For example, remember the couple weeks between Kyrie's visit and his eventual commitment? Many of us were freaking out then, yet it all worked out in the end... despite the very little news coming out of his camp.

I don't think anyone's panicking at this point; I just think many of us hunger for more tidbits about AR's recruitment. And I agree that no news at this point is good news for Duke.

MisterRoddy
05-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Doesn't appear to be hot topic on IC...perhaps they're realizing Austin may be headed to Duke?

Still some posts about who placed a phone call to whom---did Camp Rivers call UNC and establish contact, or did Ole Roy go fishing and call Camp Rivers first? And a few posts about ah, we're pretty well set at that position anyway, blah, blah, blah.

To the original title of this thread....there's not even much smoke over there about AR.

Perhaps the thread should be renamed simply: Austin Rivers Recruiting Thread.?

wilko
05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Perhaps the thread should be renamed simply: Austin Rivers Recruiting Thread.?

or in keeping with the theme..

Austin Rivers no smoke and a few embers ..

SilkyJ
05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Touche, airowe. That post wasn't meant to imply anything about any sort of knowledge I have (I have zero, just to be clear),

Why do people feel the need to post and raise the noise level on the boards when they have nothing useful to say? If you have ZERO knowledge, then what are you really contributing?

Ask yourself a question before you post: Am I saying anything really useful here or am I posting just to post?

Jderf
05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
The best part of this is how even when there is no news, there is still an ongoing discussion... about the lack of things to discuss (yes I am aware of how I am perpetuating it). God I love my obsessions...

BD80
05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Why do people feel the need to post and raise the noise level on the boards when they have nothing useful to say? If you have ZERO knowledge, then what are you really contributing?

Ask yourself a question before you post: Am I saying anything really useful here or am I posting just to post?

I post, therefore I am.

No thought involved.

MisterRoddy
05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Has Cal begun his recruitment of Rivers yet (if at all) or is he mainly focusing on Jones?

Also, do you guy's think Kentucky's recruitment and possible landing of Wroten will effect Kentucky's recruitment of Rivers

imo, Kentucky is our biggest competition for him. <-- Anybody that knows more than me that knows or thinks otherwise?

roywhite
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Has Cal begun his recruitment of Rivers yet (if at all) or is he mainly focusing on Jones?

Also, do you guy's think Kentucky's recruitment and possible landing of Wroten will effect Kentucky's recruitment of Rivers

imo, Kentucky is our biggest competition for him. <-- Anybody that knows more than me that knows or thinks otherwise?

Based on Rivers' comments last fall, don't see Kentucky as being a player here.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-11-03/sports/orl-recruiting-austin-rivers-florida-duke-110309_1_austin-rivers-duke-florida

There had been talk that Kentucky might enter the Rivers' sweepstakes after hiring Coach John Calipari. Rivers said that won't happen.

"I'm not feeling Kentucky," Rivers said. "I have a really good feeling right now about Florida and Duke, but I just don't want to go to Kentucky. Nothing against them. Great program, great coach. It's just not for me."

scottdude8
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Last time I checked this wasn't an "insiders only" board or anything like that... it is a completely open, public board for Duke fans to express their opinions, hear from others, and get news when it becomes available. At least, that's what I thought when I joined... it seems more and more like unless you have 1000+ posts on this board you are going to get castigated for anything you say that goes beyond "I love Duke!" or "Duke is going to be great next year!"

Yes, I don't have any insider info on Rivers. I was just trying to articulate a story I had about my and my friends' personal reaction to the Rivers saga, and perhaps use that to allay the fears of some fellow members of the board that might lack the inside info others do. I was under the impression that this board was a place for people to do that. I guess I was mistaken.

For a school that gets lambasted for being too "elitist," this board really is doing much to eliminate that stereotype, at least in my few months on this board...

MisterRoddy
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Based on Rivers' comments last fall, don't see Kentucky as being a player here.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-11-03/sports/orl-recruiting-austin-rivers-florida-duke-110309_1_austin-rivers-duke-florida

That's the most encouraging article I've seen but knowing Cal, you never know.

What about Kansas? (just trying to cover all possibilities)

billyj
05-03-2010, 05:46 PM
That article is dated 2009....:confused:

SilkyJ
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I post, therefore I am.

No thought involved.

Thanks for proving my point. IMO, this post would constitute needless posting...hopefully you're being sarcastic.

Needless Posting - For posts wholly without redeeming qualities that don't rise to a more serious infraction. Think before you post. Includes rampant stupidity.

I find no redeeming qualities in that post.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3350

Last time I checked this wasn't an "insiders only" board or anything like that... it is a completely open, public board for Duke fans to express their opinions, hear from others, and get news when it becomes available. At least, that's what I thought when I joined... it seems more and more like unless you have 1000+ posts on this board you are going to get castigated for anything you say that goes beyond "I love Duke!" or "Duke is going to be great next year!"

Actually saying those things is just as useless. 90% of folks on this board are not insiders at all. But when we do post, we try to make it intelligent and thoughtful and truly "add to the discussion." If the basis of your post is "I love duke," that definitely does nothing but add more noise to the board.

There are lots of new posters who come to this board and just clog of space with needless posting, and there are lots like say Airowe who have joined the community and made meaningful contributions (and unfortunately recruiting threads seem to be a breeding ground for the former).

Your post wasn't that bad really, I just can't stand to read "i don't have any info here, but here's what I think." How useless is that? Do you really think the hundreds of other DBR members care what you think when you readily admit to have zero knowledge? I'll put it this way, if I was in your shoes (and I kind of am, b/c I don't have any inside knowledge) I wouldn't be making those same posts.

MisterRoddy
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
That article is dated 2009....:confused:

Well roywhite did say last fall...

Cockabeau
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh Cmon Rivers is going to go to dirty thug program with Teague,Lamb,Knight and possibly Wroten?

Give me a break. Austin might not go to Duke(I doubt it tho)
But this kid isnt going to go to UK. Never.

scottdude8
05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for proving my point. IMO, this post would constitute needless posting...hopefully you're being sarcastic.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3350

Actually saying those things is just as useless. 90% of folks on this board are not insiders at all. But when we do post, we try to make it intelligent and thoughtful and truly "add to the discussion." If the basis of your post is "I love duke," that definitely does nothing but add more noise to the board.

There are lots of new posters who come to this board and just clog of space with needless posting, and there are lots like say Airowe who have joined the community and made meaningful contributions (and unfortunately recruiting threads seem to be a breeding ground for the former).

Your post wasn't that bad really, I just can't stand to read "i don't have any info here, but here's what I think." How useless is that? Do you really think the hundreds of other DBR members care what you think when you readily admit to have zero knowledge? I'll put it this way, if I was in your shoes (and I kind of am, b/c I don't have any inside knowledge) I wouldn't be making those same posts.

You really don't understand what I'm saying, or was saying in the original post. People were freaking out about "Where's a new Austin Rivers article?" and "Why haven't we heard anything in a while?" I responded by mentioning that this may not be a bad thing, using myself and a friend who actually does have some inside info as a personal example. It wasn't a "here's what I think" post (I never said anything like, don't worry, Rivers is coming to Duke... I said I have friends who keep saying that as part of the story), just a post relating to the recent Rivers hysteria.

I just don't understand the indignation over one post that might've been "slightly" off-topic, admittedly... while I joined just a few months ago, I've been reading these boards for at least a year, and I've seen hundreds of posts that are MUCH worse than mine that merited zero reaction.

MisterRoddy
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Oh Cmon Rivers is going to go to dirty thug program with Teague,Lamb,Knight and possibly Wroten?

Give me a break. Austin might not go to Duke(I doubt it tho)
But this kid isnt going to go to UK. Never.

I wouldnt call Kentucky a dirty program at all. It's one of the great college basketball programs. Just the coach.

DukeSean
05-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I wonder if the relative lull right now is because the Celtics are still in the playoffs? Maybe just keeping it quiet right now to reduce possible distractions?

Wait, is my comment contributing?

wilko
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I wouldnt call Kentucky a dirty program at all. It's one of the great college basketball programs. Just the coach.

How many probation's have they been on?

-jk
05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Gently, please, folks. Boredom is ugly. It's ok to let a thread idle a week or two or even a month.

Life goes on. Patience is a virtue. Yada yada yada.

But sniping over a lack of news won't be tolerated.

-jk

jimsumner
05-03-2010, 06:48 PM
"I wouldnt call Kentucky a dirty program at all. It's one of the great college basketball programs. Just the coach."

With all due respect, Kentucky has a pretty long and well-documented history of shady behavior.

johnb
05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
there are lots of articles on the web about Kentucky--most seem to come out of Kansas, oddly enough (eg, http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/1769) but there's still ample evidence that UK has been consistently cheating for about 70 years. Between the track record of an out-of-control coach and an out-of-control program, there's ample likelihood that the team will get into some sort of NCAA trouble within the next 4 years. Would Doc Rivers' son go to such a place when he could go anywhere? I agree that it's unlikely.

Newton_14
05-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Really? Somehow I get the sense that you are not being sarcastic with that post? If you were being sarcastic then apologies. If you were serious, do a bit of research starting with an article linked a couple of posts in front of mine and you may change your opinion.

Kentucky has bucket fulls of dirt in it's history. From points shaving to gambling to paying recruits to academic fraud, etc etc. Heck they even had to decline to play in the NCAA tourney one year when it was found just before the tourney started that several of their star players on that team had actually graduated the previous year and were not even supposed to be on the team. They were told all of those players would be ineligible for the tourney so they declined to play.

Newton_14
05-03-2010, 09:43 PM

I will come to the defense of Scottdude just a little bit on this one. I may be wrong SilkyJ and if I am say so, but there has been a lot of needless posting lately. It is up noticeably in several threads, and I get the sense that maybe you are taking out your frustrations on Scottdude when maybe it should have been directed at other posters? If wrong, I apologize.

The post by Scottdude was really not that bad except for passing along just a smidgeon of info obtained from someone who is a member of a premium site. That is frowned upon around here because it is not fair to those who pay to be members of sites like that. But in saying that, he really did not share anything that most didn't already expect anyway.

Just thinking maybe you came down a little hard on the guy. There are several others that probably deserved that wrath instead of SD. I do respect both sides of this one and mainly I'm making a small attempt to keep the peace.

JBDuke
05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Further posts in this thread not related to Austin Rivers and/or violent rodents will be deleted.

Please leave the moderating to the moderators. If you think a post does not belong in a thread, for whatever reason, use the "report post" feature, and let us handle it. Trying to be a moderator yourself just sets you up to take the sort of abuse that we take, and it's all out in public where nobody wants to see it.

Needless posting is discouraged. Yes, in the offseason when things are slower, we tend to be a little more lax, but this thread has taken several tangents that probably should have been reined in by us. Please restrain yourselves.

left_hook_lacey
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
there are lots of articles on the web about Kentucky--most seem to come out of Kansas, oddly enough (eg, http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/1769) but there's still ample evidence that UK has been consistently cheating for about 70 years. Between the track record of an out-of-control coach and an out-of-control program, there's ample likelihood that the team will get into some sort of NCAA trouble within the next 4 years. Would Doc Rivers' son go to such a place when he could go anywhere? I agree that it's unlikely.

I agree. I find it hard to lend myself to the thought that Rivers would consider going to Kentucky. He is already going to have to face the backlash of withdrawing his commit to FL. Signing on at Kentucky would mean he would have to face FL twice, and one of those would be in Gainsville. I don't think he wants to deal with that drama. He seems like the kind of kid that thinks out his decisions well ahead of time.

Which brings me to another point I've been hearing tossed around from several different fans in the ACC, not just Duke fans. This is just speculation, and I don't know yet if I buy into it or not, but I keep hearing that Rivers opened up the recruiting process to UNC, UK etc. so it didn't look so obvious that he just flat-out was dumping FL for Duke. The arguement is that he wants to keep his relationships with everyone around that organization as civil as possible, and dropping UF like a bad habit for Duke and only Duke could not go over well with a lot of people. If you haven't heard, some fans don't really like Duke that much.(see Glee episode)

Again, total speculation, but I thought it was intersting, and I refuse to talk about sword-swinging rodents.

roywhite
05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree. I find it hard to lend myself to the thought that Rivers would consider going to Kentucky. He is already going to have to face the backlash of withdrawing his commit to FL. Signing on at Kentucky would mean he would have to face FL twice, and one of those would be in Gainsville. I don't think he wants to deal with that drama. He seems like the kind of kid that thinks out his decisions well ahead of time.

Which brings me to another point I've been hearing tossed around from several different fans in the ACC, not just Duke fans. This is just speculation, and I don't know yet if I buy into it or not, but I keep hearing that Rivers opened up the recruiting process to UNC, UK etc. so it didn't look so obvious that he just flat-out was dumping FL for Duke. The arguement is that he wants to keep his relationships with everyone around that organization as civil as possible, and dropping UF like a bad habit for Duke and only Duke could not go over well with a lot of people. If you haven't heard, some fans don't really like Duke that much.(see Glee episode)

Again, total speculation, but I thought it was intersting, and I refuse to talk about sword-swinging rodents.

I think you're on the right track.

What I get out of following the Rivers' recruitment story is that he wants to be absolutely sure about his choice when he does announce. He realizes that his commitment to Florida the first time around came too early.

So, additional visits, additional schools to consider---all just part of a process that he wants to follow, and his decision will come in due time, this summer I'd say.

Olympic Fan
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Kentucky has bucket fulls of dirt in it's history. From points shaving to gambling to paying recruits to academic fraud, etc etc. Heck they even had to decline to play in the NCAA tourney one year when it was found just before the tourney started that several of their star players on that team had actually graduated the previous year and were not even supposed to be on the team. They were told all of those players would be ineligible for the tourney so they declined to play.

Far be it from me to defend Kentucky -- I agree that they are historically one of the most sleazy programs in the country ... Rupp practically invented cheating.

But I think you are a bit unfair about your characterization of the 1954 Kentucky team, which turned down the NCAA Tournament because it started three grad students (including future Celtics star Frank Ramsey).

What happened is that those three players were key players as sophomores in 1951, when they played on a national championship team.

Kentucky was very good again in 1952, winning 29 games and finishing No. 1 in the final AP poll before they were upset by Frank McGuire's St. John's team in Reynolds Coliseum (a win so impressive that UNC hired McGuire to revive their program).

After the season, Kentucky was hit by the point shaving scandal. Part of the fallout of the all the revelations was that the 1953 season was cancelled -- essentially the first NCAA death penalty.

Ramsey and his two classmates -- who were not involved in the point-shaving conspiracy -- graduated and were all three drafted by the NBA. But having played just two varsity seasons, all three elected to return to play a senior year at Kentucky and attend graduate school.

That was 1954 -- Kentucky again finished No. 1 in the country. Under current NCAA rules, Ramsey and company would have been eligible to play in the NCAA Tournament ... they had played just three seasons as everybody else did. But under the rules at the time, the NCAA didn't allow grad students to participate in the tournament -- and rather than play without its three senior stars, Kentucky declined to participate.

Now, I think Kentucky has done a lot of shameful things in its history, but this is not one of them.

The NCAA was at fault -- during this era they prevented K.C. Jones from participating in the 1956 NCAA Tournament. His problem was his sophomore season, when he played one game, then missed the rest of the season with appendicitis. The school and the conference gave him a hardship waiver, but the NCAA had no hardship provisions at the time and banned him from the tourney (San Francisco won anyway) his senior year.

N.C. State was screwed by the NCAA in 1951.

During WWII, freshman eligibility rules were relaxed to allow schools to field teams. After the war, some confrerences re-instated freshman ineligibity -- some did not. The Southern Conference allowed freshmen to play (which is how Dickie Hemric played four years and set a scoring record that stood for 50 years).

In 1950, N.C. State finished third in the NCAA Tournament with a team dominated by three junior stars -- Sammy Ranzino, Vic Bubas and Paul Horvath.

After 1950, the NCAA took steps to limit freshmen eligibility by decreeing that no freshmen could participate in bowl games or the NCAA basketball tournament (although allowing conferences to set their own rules for regular season play).

Fair enough ... only the NCAA went one step farther and said that postseason participants would only be allowed three varsity seasons and that any athlete who played as a freshman -- BEFORE THE NCAA RULING -- would be ineligible as a senior.

Ranzino, Bubas and Horvath had played as freshmen in 1948, when it was perfectly legal to do so. When they won the Southern Conference Tournament in 1951 as seniors, they were banned from the NCAA Tournament. The three seniors -- the team's best three players -- didn't play as State lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

I'd put Kentucky in 1954 in a class with N.C. State in 1951 and San Francisco in 1956 as victims of an unfair NCAA ruling ...

There's plenty of other stuff to slam the Wildcats for.

duke4life32182
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Just choose Duke and enjoy the ride.

Emeritus
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks "Olympic Fan" for the elegant response with specifics re: the Kentucky situation. Your posting is an excellent example of why I come to this site every day. Being fair means always being fair. BTW, I still don't like them, and I can't stand their coach. Compared to Kentucky and Carowhiner, DUKE really is the only "true blue"... Unrelated question: where is Jumbo??? I have missed his expertise and gentle jibes. Does he take the off season off?? I don't want to wish my life away, but I can't wait for DUKE basketball '10-'11 to crank up..

DukeBlueNV
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1081311

my friend at work is an insider on rivals and showed me the article today, sounded good!

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1081311

my friend at work is an insider on rivals and showed me the article today, sounded good!

Haha I was just about to post this. I'm not a premium member but the teaser certainly is good enough for me!

DukeBlueNV
05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Haha I was just about to post this. I'm not a premium member but the teaser certainly is good enough for me!

it was good.. but doesnt seem to be a done deal yet. there was a line in the article that was not a direct quote from rivers, but it still made me a bit nervous. but lets just say if i were using this article (ontop of previous info)to place a bet on where he will go to school i wouldnt hesitate to put the money on duke.

Newton_14
05-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Far be it from me to defend Kentucky -- I agree that they are historically one of the most sleazy programs in the country ... Rupp practically invented cheating.

But I think you are a bit unfair about your characterization of the 1954 Kentucky team, which turned down the NCAA Tournament because it started three grad students (including future Celtics star Frank Ramsey).

And far be it from me to not admit an error. I somehow missed the portion of the story that you clarified and you are right that is a totally different deal and does NOT classify as dirty. Thanks for setting me straight.

As for Rivers, I take no news as good news. I was a bit worried when ol'roy came prancing onto the scene, but that talk has quieted down thankfully. I make no predictions. In reading his Diaries, I get the vibe that Duke is the favorite, and as I have stated earlier, unlike past Diaries on the HSH site, when reading Austin's it comes across as the genuine thoughts of a 17 year old. He does not seem to be "choosing words carefully" or "toying" with his audience.

We will know soon enough.

Isn't it ironic though that as recent as last fall, the vibe was that we were way behind our rival in both recruiting and results on the court, and seemed desperate to sign top notch talent and sign it soon? We hadn't done "this" "since", and hadn't been to "that" "since" yada yada yada

Now here we are, National Champions, got the best PG in the nation coming in, Singler is staying for his Senior year, we have a wealth of guards and are the favorite for one of the best guards in the country in Rivers but with the luxury of knowing that if he goes elsewhere we still have great talent to put out there in his spot anyway....

Life is good boys.. Life is real good..

Kedsy
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Isn't it ironic though that as recent as last fall, the vibe was that we were way behind our rival in both recruiting and results on the court, and seemed desperate to sign top notch talent and sign it soon? We hadn't done "this" "since", and hadn't been to "that" "since" yada yada yada

Now here we are, National Champions, got the best PG in the nation coming in, Singler is staying for his Senior year, we have a wealth of guards and are the favorite for one of the best guards in the country in Rivers but with the luxury of knowing that if he goes elsewhere we still have great talent to put out there in his spot anyway....

Well, said, my friend. I have been thinking these same exact thoughts (or similar ones, anyway, I don't want to get into a copyright dispute or a plagiarism charge) for some time.

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 09:23 PM
And far be it from me to not admit an error. I somehow missed the portion of the story that you clarified and you are right that is a totally different deal and does NOT classify as dirty. Thanks for setting me straight.

As for Rivers, I take no news as good news. I was a bit worried when ol'roy came prancing onto the scene, but that talk has quieted down thankfully. I make no predictions. In reading his Diaries, I get the vibe that Duke is the favorite, and as I have stated earlier, unlike past Diaries on the HSH site, when reading Austin's it comes across as the genuine thoughts of a 17 year old. He does not seem to be "choosing words carefully" or "toying" with his audience.

We will know soon enough.

It certainly is.

I remember reading an article by old Maryland homer Ben Goldstein in the wake of Terrence Ross decommiting...

http://www.testudotimes.com/2009/12/30/1224953/terrence-ross-decommits

Back on topic...strictly speculation...If we do get Rivers, do you guys think itd be likely that Duke would go to a 3-guard rotation for 2011?

DukeBlueNV
05-04-2010, 09:37 PM
"Back on topic...strictly speculation...If we do get Rivers, do you guys think itd be likely that Duke would go to a 3-guard rotation for 2011?"

i hope so... an irving, curry, rivers backcourt is so rediculously talented i cant even wrap my brain around it... can anyone think of a group of guards with that much talent on the same team? wow. (not to mention dawkins as well)

hedevil
05-04-2010, 11:08 PM
A quick thought about an Irving, Rivers, Curry lineup. To be honest, I prefer this year's guard lineup even better simply because of Nolan's defense, leadership, and experience.

However, I do agree that the Irving, Curry, Rivers lineup would be as good as you can ask for to follow up on this year's guard lineup. Both of which feature Dawkins.

Now, if we are fortunate enough to keep Kyrie for a junior year, and you combine that with Curry (junior), Rivers (sophmore, if he were to stay), and Dawkins (senior), that would just be scary.

Someone please wake me up.:)

oldnavy
05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Well, said, my friend. I have been thinking these same exact thoughts (or similar ones, anyway, I don't want to get into a copyright dispute or a plagiarism charge) for some time.

I have been saying essentially the same thing as both of you as well. I just would like to caution folks, don't get too high when things are going well nor too low when they are not... BUT things are looking really good right now!!

Daniel tosh
05-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I think there's a bit from the rivals article,in this article.Sure sounds promising!

http://cameronkrazy.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/austin-rivers-update-2/

Mike Corey
05-05-2010, 08:54 AM
I think there's a bit from the rivals article,in this article.Sure sounds promising!

http://cameronkrazy.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/austin-rivers-update-2/

There is indeed info from the Rivals article on that website, but there should not be. Hopefully the author of that site will delete the quotes it lifted--or any paraphrasing thereof.

But back on topic: Eventually, all things merge into one, and a Rivers runs through it.

airowe
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
There is indeed info from the Rivals article on that website, but there should not be. Hopefully the author of that site will delete the quotes it lifted--or any paraphrasing thereof.

But back on topic: Eventually, all things merge into one, and a Rivers runs through it.

Clint is none too happy about this blahg.

left_hook_lacey
05-05-2010, 09:44 AM

I hate to be the Ross here(see "The Tempest"), but this gives me Harrison Barnes stomach aches all over again. I just refuse to buy in to a teenager's comments until he commits. I thinkt the HB recruitment taught me life lessons, I will never forget. And I'm middle-aged.

MisterRoddy
05-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I hate to be the Ross here(see "The Tempest"), but this gives me Harrison Barnes stomach aches all over again. I just refuse to buy in to a teenager's comments until he commits. I thinkt the HB recruitment taught me life lessons, I will never forget. And I'm middle-aged.

There are major differences Between the two recruitments:

- As far as I know, Barnes never announced that Duke was his leader, everybody assumed

- Also, Im pretty sure Austins mother didn't grow up idolizing Jordan, let alone name that her sons middle name for that reason.

- UNC needed a wing for this class and there was a huge opening for Barnes, as for Rivers, UNC's backcourt is already crowded and him coming would mean a few talented players for UNC not gettig much playing time.

While I do agree to an extent that we should hold off on excessive excitement until he signs on the dotted line, I don't think we should be making ANY comparrisons to the HB recruitment as they are vastly different.

rotogod00
05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
There are major differences Between the two recruitments:

- As far as I know, Barnes never announced that Duke was his leader, everybody assumed

- Also, Im pretty sure Austins mother didn't grow up idolizing Jordan, let alone name that her sons middle name for that reason.

- UNC needed a wing for this class and there was a huge opening for Barnes, as for Rivers, UNC's backcourt is already crowded and him coming would mean a few talented players for UNC not gettig much playing time.

While I do agree to an extent that we should hold off on excessive excitement until he signs on the dotted line, I don't think we should be making ANY comparrisons to the HB recruitment as they are vastly different.

if irving stays for a 2nd year, isn't our backcourt of KI, curry, dawkins, and thornton just as crowded?

Duvall
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
if irving stays for a 2nd year, isn't our backcourt of KI, curry, dawkins, and thornton just as crowded?

1) That's a big if, and

2) No. In 2012 UNC's backcourt will have Larry Drew II, Kendall Marshall, Reggie Bullock, Dexter Strickland, Leslie McDonald, and P.J. Hairston. None of those players is going pro before 2012, and at least two of them would have to transfer for Duke to have as crowded a backcourt as UNC.

On the other hand, Rivers is probably much better than most of those guys, so maybe he doesn't care.

rotogod00
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
yes, i agree they'll be minutes at the 3, but we'll have felix and gbinije to play some of those minutes as well.

hey, i agree that carolina's 1-3 will be ultra-crowded, but it's not like we have much space there either.

but like duvall said, if rivers is as good as advertised, it won't matter who else is on the roster. he's gonna get his 30+ minutes anywhere he goes.

MisterRoddy
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
yes, i agree they'll be minutes at the 3, but we'll have felix and gbinije to play some of those minutes as well.

hey, i agree that carolina's 1-3 will be ultra-crowded, but it's not like we have much space there either.

but like duvall said, if rivers is as good as advertised, it won't matter who else is on the roster. he's gonna get his 30+ minutes anywhere he goes.

I was just providing reasons for why our recruitment of AR was different than the recruitment of HB, didn't say that's the reason for why he wouldt attend UNC

Class of '94
05-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I was just providing reasons for why our recruitment of AR was different than the recruitment of HB, didn't say that's the reason for why he wouldt attend UNC

The only thing that still bothers me about this is that AR still mentions UNC, somewhat favorably, in his recruitment. I wish he didn't mention them at all.

But saying that, it does appear like we are in very good shape to get him based on his other comments in that blog. As much as some people in the media have lauded over Carolina's fast break offense, AR basically said our offense was just as good (IMO, our offense is better :D); but then went on to comment further about about defensive system, which we all know is superior to the Heels. And I take him at his word in that we are his leader. That's the most definitive thing I've heard him say. And remember Tyler Adams said the same thing about us being his leader prior to his verbal commitment to us.

roywhite
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
The only thing that still bothers me about this is that AR still mentions UNC, somewhat favorably, in his recruitment. I wish he didn't mention them at all.
But saying that, it does appear like we are in very good shape to get him based on his other comments in that blog. As much as some people in the media have lauded over Carolina's fast break offense, AR basically said our offense was just as good (IMO, our offense is better :D); but then went on to comment further about about defensive system, which we all know is superior to the Heels. And I take him at his word in that we are his leader. That's the most definitive thing I've heard him say. And remember Tyler Adams said the same thing about us being his leader prior to his verbal commitment to us.

As I read various accounts, it appears that when Austin Rivers came up for the basketball banquet (which he reportedly enjoyed very much) he didn't even work in a visit to that school 8 miles down the road.

A good sign, I'd say.

Mike Corey
05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Clint is none too happy about this blahg.

Nor should he be.

I've seen worse, however.

The Columbus Dispatch has lifted premium information from the Ohio State Scout.com site before without affiliation, and refused to apologize for having done so even after being called out.

Cockabeau
05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
JMO, I think the Henderson,Curry,Rivers family connection trumps anything Roy can do

Azdukefan
05-05-2010, 02:07 PM

K1 is on record as saying that he will be at Duke as long as it take for him to win a NC. In that case, he will be one and done.

sagegrouse
05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Nor should he [Clint] be.

The Columbus Dispatch has lifted premium information from the Ohio State Scout.com site before without affiliation, and refused to apologize for having done so even after being called out.

Well, I suspect the intellectual property lawyers on the Board would have little sympathy for Rivals and other premium sites. Unless, of course, they were engaged by the sites. :)

I doubt that the information itself is protected under copyright and other laws. ("Joe Center is leaning heavily toward Georgetown, according to family sources.") The "expression" of the information -- the literal text of the article -- might be protected subject to the exclusions of the "Fair Use Doctrine." But, of course, the protection of the exact language is trivial -- it's the underlying information that has presumed value.

Subscribers sign their lives away in confidentiality agreements in joining the premium services, of course, which is a different subject. I wonder how easy it would be to pursue leakers in court, even if they were known.

And, of course, the conservative treatment of this stuff on DBR on elsewhere is as much about minimizing legal expenses as anything.

sagegrouse

BD80
05-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, I suspect the intellectual property lawyers on the Board would have little sympathy for Rivals and other premium sites. Unless, of course, they were engaged by the sites. :)

... the conservative treatment of this stuff on DBR on elsewhere is as much about minimizing legal expenses as anything.

sagegrouse

the intellectual property lawyers on the Board have little sympathy for minimizing legal expenses! :rolleyes:

What do you have with a lawyer buried up to his neck in concrete?

Not enough concrete.

SilkyJ
05-05-2010, 02:31 PM
"Back on topic...strictly speculation...If we do get Rivers, do you guys think itd be likely that Duke would go to a 3-guard rotation for 2011?"

i hope so... an irving, curry, rivers backcourt is so rediculously talented i cant even wrap my brain around it.

I love that everyone assumes Austin would start over a Junior Andre Dawkins. For one, K LOVES experience and obviously defense. I would bet Dre's defense in his 3rd year is ahead of Austin's in his 1st. Secondly, Dre is a very gifted athlete who can run and jump and by his 3rd year may be one of the better shooters in the country. Remember, he probably would have been a Mickie D, this kid is no joke. If I had to bet now, I'd bet Dre is starting by the time he is a Junior.

Not that this hasn't been discussed before...I just think its funny that this is an assumed scenario by most. Kind of like when people thought EWill would start over Scheyer...:rolleyes:

Lord Ash
05-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't know if that is too crazy, though... Austin I think is considered a transcendent sort of talent... it seems he will be the #1 recruit in the class, and these guys are often pretty darn big. That #1 spot is guys like Oden and Mayo and Jennings and Favors... can you really imagine those guys not starting?

Of course, anything could happen, and it sounds like Dre really "gets it." But Austin starting is fairly likely... it will be hard to say he is not among the best 5 talent wise, and K does like to keep talent on the floor:)

DukeSean
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I love that everyone assumes Austin would start over a Junior Andre Dawkins. For one, K LOVES experience and obviously defense. I would bet Dre's defense in his 3rd year is ahead of Austin's in his 1st. Secondly, Dre is a very gifted athlete who can run and jump and by his 3rd year may be one of the better shooters in the country. Remember, he probably would have been a Mickie D, this kid is no joke. If I had to bet now, I'd bet Dre is starting by the time he is a Junior.

Not that this hasn't been discussed before...I just think its funny that this is an assumed scenario by most. Kind of like when people thought EWill would start over Scheyer...:rolleyes:

Good point. I think it's not really a knock on Dawk as much as it is AR's skill, or perceived skill. Makes me wonder what K's pitch is to AR in terms of playing time, or starting

G man
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM

I agree with the basic idea of this post. I think that older players who have been doing it a while are a premium, but so is lottery talent. I am not saying you have to have it to win, but it does make it easy. I also am a firm believer in the premise that elite talent recruits elite talent. A good example of that would be what Cal has at Kentucky people want to be that star recruit who is all over TV with a high profile coach chasing you. Now part of getting elite talent is trying to blend your young stud recruits with the older talent you have already on the roster. I just cannot personally see Rivers not starting! That being said I cannot see how Curry could not be starting either, but the numbers just do not add up. Either way this is a good problem to have.

left_hook_lacey
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM
the intellectual property lawyers on the Board have little sympathy for minimizing legal expenses! :rolleyes:

Not enough concrete.

What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the Atlantic?

A good start.

airowe
05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Nor should he be.

Not enough concrete.

What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the Atlantic?

A good start.

Mike's not gonna like everyone telling lawyer jokes and him not chiming in. Better be glad he's still Pre-Law. ;)

Daniel tosh
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM

I agree 100%

Kedsy
05-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Top 20 talents and top 5 talents are completely different things. For example, there's a really good chance both Seth's and Andre's defense will be ahead of Kyrie's defense at the beginning of the 2010-11 season. But Kyrie is going to start.

So I'd be shocked if Rivers came here and didn't start. That said, Andre has a good chance to start, too. It really depends on the personnel that's here in two years.

Vasherized
05-05-2010, 04:29 PM
My recruits bailing off the burning ship that is Florida basketball?

Not much new on Rivers although it was reaffirming to hear him back up what we've been saying for two months now. Duke is the solid leader and it's just a matter of time.

Also a few tidbits on UNC commit McAdoo and Lousville commit Wayne Blackshear.

Keep an eye on Tony Parker. He was 6'9 240 as a freshman in High School and moves very well.

Weekly Whispers 5/5/10 (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/05/05/weekly-whispers-552010/)

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Top 20 talents and top 5 talents are completely different things. For example, there's a really good chance both Seth's and Andre's defense will be ahead of Kyrie's defense at the beginning of the 2010-11 season. But Kyrie is going to start.

So I'd be shocked if Rivers came here and didn't start. That said, Andre has a good chance to start, too. It really depends on the personnel that's here in two years.

I think they will both start like you said, but if the final spot came down to Rivers and Dre I think Rivers starts for sure. If we land the #1 or #2 recruit in the nation (depending on what recruiting service you look at) and then sit him on the bench we aren't likely to land another top 5 recruit in the near future, especially when every other school is offering him the keys to the team from day 1.

Indoor66
05-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I think they will both start like you said, but if the final spot came down to Rivers and Dre I think Rivers starts for sure. If we land the #1 or #2 recruit in the nation (depending on what recruiting service you look at) and then sit him on the bench we aren't likely to land another top 5 recruit in the near future, especially when every other school is offering him the keys to the team from day 1.

I seriously doubt that this will be a consideration. He must earn his starting position the same as everyone else. If he is that good, he will earn it. First off, we have to get him.

BlueDevilCorvette!
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I seriously doubt that this will be a consideration. He must earn his starting position the same as everyone else. If he is that good, he will earn it. First off, we have to get him.

I agree with you. It has been stated that Coach K makes no promises to recruits as to amount of playing time and whether or not they will or not be a starter. Whatever they get (recruits) they will have earn it.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM

You honestly think that we will tell the number 1 recruit in the nation that if he comes to Duke we have no special considerations for playing time. That isn't the way that it works.

Also, if he is the number 1 recruit in the nation it isn't an accident, here are the last 7 years:

2009 - John Wall
2008 - Brandon Jennings or Tyreke Evans
2007 - O.J Mayo
2006 - Kevin Durant or Greg Oden
2005 - Andrew Bynum
2004 - Dwight Howard
2003 - Lebron James

I love Dre and I think he is a great player but do any of these guys sit behind him? No shot.

SilkyJ
05-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Exactly. Coach K tells everyone the same thing: you have to earn your spot. He doesn't do the playing time negotiation thing.

Now in certain cases, like Kyrie, we don't have a true PG on our team and he is exactly that so I'd be willing to bet K said "You'll come in and be the starting PG for this team from day 1." But I also bet he said "We emphasize defense and you'll have to play it" with the unspoken part being "and if you don't, your minutes will suffer"

uh_no
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM

Andre was a 5 star recruit who rode the bench.....don't bet on him not starting over austin

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Andre was a 5 star recruit who rode the bench.....don't bet on him not starting over austin

5 star and number 1 in the nation aren't even close.

Duvall
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
5 star and number 1 in the nation aren't even close.

Oh course, there's no reason to assume that Rivers will be number 1 in the nation, since he isn't actually ranked that high now, let alone a year from now.

airowe
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Austin won't be #1 in the nation unless he starts concentrating on improving his defense. And he knows that. If he does that, he'll play plenty at Duke from Day One.

[/argument]

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Austin won't be #1 in the nation unless he starts concentrating on improving his defense. And he knows that. If he does that, he'll play plenty at Duke from Day One.

Fair point but with Doc as his dad I think he realized how important defense is. I have seen him as the number 2 recruit in the nation on multiple services with varying number 1s. There is reason to think, with continued improvement, he has a good chance to be number 1.

airowe
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Fair point but with Doc as his dad I think he realized how important defense is. I have seen him as the number 2 recruit in the nation on multiple services with varying number 1s. There is reason to think, with continued improvement, he has a good chance to be number 1.

Oh no doubt. He is extremely talented on the offensive end and it nearly outweighs his lack of dedication to defense, but if you're going to find a knock on him it is his defense.

What I'm saying is, the thing that would propel him to be the #1 Recruit in the nation would also be the thing that would propel him to be either a starter or play starter's minutes at Duke. Defense. So, there' really no discussion here, because the Duke staff have been pretty clear with him on the things he needs to work on. They always are. It turns some kids off who think their stuff doesn't stink, but it really means a lot to the kids who realize that they still have a lot to learn...

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh no doubt. He is extremely talented on the offensive end and it nearly outweighs his lack of dedication to defense, but if you're going to find a knock on him it is his defense.

What I'm saying is, the thing that would propel him to be the #1 Recruit in the nation would also be the thing that would propel him to be either a starter or play starter's minutes at Duke. Defense. So, there' really no discussion here, because the Duke staff have been pretty clear with him on the things he needs to work on. They always are. It turns some kids off who think their stuff doesn't stink, but it really means a lot to the kids who realize that they still have a lot to learn..

And kids who realize we have the staff to teach it to them. I think that is why we land guys like KI, Kyle, Paulus and Nolan over guys like Wall, BK, and others.

SilkyJ
05-05-2010, 05:42 PM
You honestly think that we will tell the number 1 recruit in the nation that if he comes to Duke we have no special considerations for playing time. That isn't the way that it works.

Well "playing time" and "starting" are two very different things. But at the end of the day, I don't think Coach K gives "special" consideration to anyone. He is just flat honest. I'll stick the "starting" thing b/c that's what I was discussing earlier.

Coach K has told top tier recruits to go pound sand after they or those close to them starting pining for playing time (recently: Kevin Love, Scout #3 and Kris Humphries, Scout #18). So do you really know how "it" works?

Coach K isn't going to make promises he can't deliver on, and what coach can possibly predict his starting lineup 18 months from now?! (Especially when you have multiple options at a certain position) So no, I don't think Coach K is using "you'll start from day 1" in his recruiting shpeel. And if you do, then you don't know Coach K very well.

Its about being HONEST, and there is no way Coach K can honestly tell Austin that he will start from Day 1 b/c Coach K can't possibly know that! He doesn't know how good Seth and Dre will be after another year against ACC competition. Look at the leap Nolan made from freshman year to junior year. You think Austin starts over Nolan this year? And K, as well as others, don't know how Austin will adjust to the ACC level of competition, so its just too hard accurately predict who will start.

OK you say, "so Coach K doesn't use it in his shpeel, but Austin says he wants to know about playing time"

Fine. Coach K says "you're good enough to start for us, but we have tremendous talent on this team - we did just win a national title - so you'll be competing with them everyday in practice and regardless of whether you start or not, you'll play quite a bit. Look at Jon Scheyer as a soph and Mike Dunleavy as a frosh, those guys were key 6th men for my teams playing 25+mpg. Just as importantly, practicing against elite talent everyday will make you into a better player."

Now that's not to say Coach K WOULDN'T tell someone they would start from day 1. In the case like Kyrie, as I posted earlier, we need a true PG and Kyrie is just that and is a tremendous talent, so yea the HONEST answer is "Kyrie, you're gonna start at PG for us."

So the way "it" works with coach K is plain and simple: tell it like it is.

In K we trust :)

mattman91
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
If all of our hopes of us repeating next year, and irving being as good as we think, we probablly wont have irving when (if) austin comes. Lets not drool over our keyboards or on ourselves about irving and rivers running the backcourt together. I dont see it. I do however see us getting Rivers. and getting the 3peat with or without Irving :cool:

airowe
05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
And of course, Silky J said it better than me... :D

mattman91
05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Casey Peters > Dexter Strickland.......... Austin Rivers > Andre Dawkins. I think in 2011 we will have a 3 guard starting lineup including dre, austin and a point guard

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Austin can play point guard, for those who didn't know.

airowe
05-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Casey Peters > Dexter Strickland

:confused:

mattman91
05-05-2010, 05:57 PM
:confused:

:D im serious

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Well "playing time" and "starting" are two very different things. But at the end of the day, I don't think Coach K gives "special" consideration to anyone. He is just flat honest. I'll stick the "starting" thing b/c that's what I was discussing earlier.

Coach K has told top tier recruits to go pound sand after they or those close to them starting pining for playing time (recently: Kevin Love, Scout #3 and Kris Humphries, Scout #18). So do you really know how "it" works?

Coach K isn't going to make promises he can't deliver on, and what coach can possibly predict his starting lineup 18 months from now?! (Especially when you have multiple options at a certain position) So no, I don't think Coach K is using "you'll start from day 1" in his recruiting shpeel. And if you do, then you don't know Coach K very well.

I never once said that we would tell him that he would start from day one but when a kid like Rivers or KI askes about playing time I don't see Coach K saying, "Well we have a lot of talented guys and you'll be competing just like the rest of them" I do agree that he is honest and that statement is no where near honest. If Rivers comes in 2011, he will come in as one of our top guys in terms of talent. I think Coach K will tell him just that, "You will be one of our more talented players and if you work hard it will be hard to keep you off the court."

When it comes down to it I think we are arguing the semantics of what Coach K says to recruits and that seems asinine. My point is simply that when you land a recruit like KI or Rivers you don't do it by telling him he is on the same level as all the other players on the team in terms of skill (which often translates to playing time) because that would be lying and counterproductive.

mattman91
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Austin can play point guard, for those who didn't know.

indeed he can, but he is more of a scoring 2. Everyone knows you cant convert that kind of player into a pg and win a national title...:rolleyes:.... But i think curry would run the point ahead of him, especially in austins freshamn year

SilkyJ
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Casey Peters > Dexter Strickland.......... Austin Rivers > Andre Dawkins. I think in 2011 we will have a 3 guard starting lineup including dre, austin and a point guard

:D im serious

You're level of seriousness is not the issue. We have no idea what you meant with that comparison. How is Casey Peters' relationship to Dexter Strickland, at all relevant to Austin Rivers and Andre Dawkins? Moreover, what does any of that have to do with your second sentence regarding our starting lineup?

Also, some of us have expounded with many words (myself included) on why we think a certain scenario for our starting lineup may or may not come to fruition. Due you care to offer more details on your opinion beyond "I think this will happen" and then include no rationale? No offense, but i doubt anyone here really knows you so are we supposed to just think that "well mattman said it, so I'm gonna go with him." How about offering up some reasoning or some rationale. Simply stating your opinion with no rationale does not advance the discussion.

mattman91
05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
You're level of seriousness is not the issue. We have no idea what you meant with that comparison. How is Casey Peters' relationship to Dexter Strickland, at all relevant to Austin Rivers and Andre Dawkins? Moreover, what does any of that have to do with your second sentence regarding our starting lineup?

Well This is the Austin Rivers thread.

Austin is a little more talented than andre...so i've heard. I think he would start over Andre and that was being discussed. the peters over strickland part was for fun. maybe i dont have a very good since of humor?

But really. What position would Austin play if he were to come and Irving were to leave? I think Curry would definately be a better fit.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Well This is the Austin Rivers thread.

Austin is a little more talented than andre...so i've heard. I think he would start over Andre and that was being discussed. the peters over strickland part was for fun. maybe i dont have a very good since of humor?

But really. What position would Austin play if he were to come and Irving were to leave? I think Curry would definately be a better fit.

I'm not sure anyone has a very good since of humor :D

airowe
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM

definately.

mattman91
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
:rolleyes:
definately.

sense........:)

what does spelling have to do with austin rivers anyway...come on Im a High school Senior ready for graduation on June 10th. You guys are being mean lol.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-05-2010, 06:22 PM
:rolleyes:

sense........:)

what does spelling have to do with austin rivers anyway...come on Im a High school Senior ready for graduation on June 10th. You guys are being mean lol.

That happens often on this forum, back to Austin, I think he will be the top ranked player in 2011 when it's all said and done.

Newton_14
05-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Not only that, but we all know that Coach K hates that word (Since), so fear the wrath of K when typing it!:D

By the way, we haven't won a National Title since last month!!

"I would rather be in the "since" category than the "never" category." Coach Mike Krzyzewski

chrisheery
05-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Also, if he is the number 1 recruit in the nation it isn't an accident, here are the last 7 years:

2009 - John Wall
2007 - O.J Mayo
2005 - Andrew Bynum
2004 - Dwight Howard
2003 - Lebron James

I love Dre and I think he is a great player but do any of these guys sit behind him? No shot.

If OJ Mayo had begged to play at Duke, I would have been bummed out if we had accepted him. He is a talented kid, but plays awful team basketball and I would have hated to see a team at Duke with a player like that.

The rest of your examples are excellent though, with the possible exception of Evans, who has also not proven he can be a great player on a great team.

atldukie68
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
You left out 2010 - Harrison Barnes

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-05-2010, 09:00 PM
For 07 I would actually put Mike Be-easy or Derrick Rose, before Oj Mayo, but I respect the rest of the list,

devildeac
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Don't recall that name...:rolleyes:

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM

You mean Kyrie Irving?:D

CDu
05-05-2010, 09:16 PM
For 07 I would actually put Mike Be-easy or Derrick Rose, before Oj Mayo, but I respect the rest of the list,

I think you're guilty a bit of retrospective rating here. Mayo was, coming into the season, the #1 recruit (according to RSCI). Rose was actually only the #7 recruit (RSCI had him two spots lower than Singler). Beasley was the #4 recruit, and only one service rated him #1. Mayo was #1 in most of the recruiting services, and Gordon and Love were #2 and #3.

It wasn't until during their freshmen years that Beasley and Rose jumped to the head of the class.

CDu
05-05-2010, 09:21 PM

2009 - John Wall
2007 - O.J Mayo
2005 - Andrew Bynum
2004 - Dwight Howard
2003 - Lebron James

A couple of slight nitpicks:
2008: Greg Monore was the consensus #1 recruit
2005: Richard Hendrix was actually the top recruit (Bynum was #52)

As for your question, I was under the impression that Coach K does not make promises regarding starting/playing time. It's one of the reasons we didn't get Kris Humphries several years ago. That may have changed in more recent years, but it would seem to be unlike Coach K.

Kedsy
05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
I think you're guilty a bit of retrospective rating here. Mayo was, coming into the season, the #1 recruit (according to RSCI). Rose was actually only the #7 recruit (RSCI had him two spots lower than Singler). Beasley was the #4 recruit, and only one service rated him #1. Mayo was #1 in most of the recruiting services, and Gordon and Love were #2 and #3.

It wasn't until during their freshmen years that Beasley and Rose jumped to the head of the class.

Actually in the final RSCI for 2007 (http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2007.htm), Rose and Singler were tied for 5th behind Mayo, Love, Gordon, and Beasley (in that order).

As for your question, I was under the impression that Coach K does not make promises regarding starting/playing time. It's one of the reasons we didn't get Kris Humphries several years ago. That may have changed in more recent years, but it would seem to be unlike Coach K.

Again, according to the RSCI website, Josh McRoberts was #1 in 2005 (see http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2005.htm) and Brandon Jennings was #1 in 2008 (see http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2008.htm). Monroe was #6 in 2008, and Hendrix was #7 in 2005.

If you believe in the RSCI (as I do), the last 10 #1s are:

2010: Harrison Barnes (summer ratings; final ratings are not out yet)
2009: Derrick Favors
2008: Brandon Jennings
2007: OJ Mayo
2006: Greg Oden
2005: Josh McRoberts
2004: Dwight Howard
2003: LeBron James
2002: Amare Stoudemire
2001: Eddy Curry

Not as impressive as Big Pappa's list, but still you have to figure none of these guys would have sat on a college bench.

CDu
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Actually in the final RSCI for 2007 (http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2007.htm), Rose and Singler were tied for 5th behind Mayo, Love, Gordon, and Beasley (in that order).

Again, according to the RSCI website, Josh McRoberts was #1 in 2005 (see http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2005.htm) and Brandon Jennings was #1 in 2008 (see http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2008.htm). Monroe was #6 in 2008, and Hendrix was #7 in 2005.

If you believe in the RSCI (as I do), the last 10 #1s are:

2010: Harrison Barnes (summer ratings; final ratings are not out yet)
2009: Derrick Favors
2008: Brandon Jennings
2007: OJ Mayo
2006: Greg Oden
2005: Josh McRoberts
2004: Dwight Howard
2003: LeBron James
2002: Amare Stoudemire
2001: Eddy Curry

Not as impressive as Big Pappa's list, but still you have to figure none of these guys would have sat on a college bench.

You're right. I was using RSCI, but I was using the incorrect iterations (apparently a year early).

mattman91
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
what exactly is the rsci...isnt it a combination of different rankings?

baby-face dawkins
05-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Yes.

Newton_14
05-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Kedsy is the RSCI guru who can explain it better but yes, it takes several of the popular rankings such as rivals, scout, etc and averages them out. It is a better was of finding out how highly the kid should be rated as usually there is a ranking in one of the lists that is far too high or too low depending on the kid.

As an example I think one of the sites had Scheyer ranked like 72 or something like that. I think in the RCSI he was like 28.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 10:24 PM

I understand what you're saying about promising starting or playing time, I just simply can't believe that he would tell Rivers (or KI for that matter) that he is on the same level as everyone else when that is clearly not true. I also agree with slopes saying that Rivers will be number 1 by the end.

I'm not sure if your nitpicks were meant as a joke or not (if they were I'm sorry) but just to nitpick further:
2008: Jennings is number 1 on both Scout and ESPN while Monroe was 8th on Rivals, the 2nd rated C on Scout (behind BJ Mullens), and 20th on ESPN. Hardly consensus.
2005: Hendrix was the 4th PF on Scout and 9th overall on Rivals. Bynum was 6th on Scout and 1st on Rivals.

SilkyJ
05-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I understand what you're saying about promising starting or playing time, I just simply can't believe that he would tell Rivers (or KI for that matter) that he is on the same level as everyone else when that is clearly not true. I also agree with slopes saying that Rivers will be number 1 by the end.

You continue to interpret two different issues as the same.

Not promising playing time to Austin is NOT the same as telling Austin he is on the same level as the current players.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
You continue to interpret two different issues as the same.

Not promising playing time to Austin is NOT the same as telling Austin he is on the same level as the current players.

I was assuming that you remembered the first part of the conversation and it didn't need repeating. We were talking about a recruit (Austin in this case) asking about playing time. If Austin asked about playing time I agree that Coach K would not say, "You are the starter from the moment you walk on the floor." but I also don't think he would say, "You are on the same level as everyone else so when you walk on the practice floor you have the same chance at playing time as everyone else."

I know you agree that Coach K is honest and telling Austin that he is on the same level as a guy like TT is not being honest. IMO he would tell a recruit where he stands against everyone else and what that means for his playing time. In Austin's case that would be that he is in the top 2 recruits in the nation and he can realistically expect to compete to start from the first day he steps on the floor.

Coach K is not gonna BS him by saying that he has the same chance to start as anyone else because he and Austin both know that isn't true.

SilkyJ
05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I was assuming that you remembered the first part of the conversation and it didn't need repeating. We were talking about a recruit (Austin in this case) asking about playing time.

No need to get snarky, I'm well aware we're talking about Austin. As is everyone in this thread.

If Austin asked about playing time I agree that Coach K would not say, "You are the starter from the moment you walk on the floor." but I also don't think he would say, "You are on the same level as everyone else so when you walk on the practice floor you have the same chance at playing time as everyone else."

I am aware you feel this way. You stated it in your previous post:

What I am saying is that Coach K can tell Austin that he has great talent, probably even superior than some of Duke's current players at the same position, and yet also not promise playing time.

You're right, Coach K wouldn't BS him and say he has just as much chance to play as TT, but he would say "you SHOULD start and I expect you to play a lot, BUT you will HAVE TO EARN IT." Ya dig? Nothing is promised, everything is earned.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 11:45 PM
No need to get snarky, I'm well aware we're talking about Austin. As is everyone in this thread.

What I am saying is that Coach K can tell Austin that he has great talent, probably even superior than some of Duke's current players at the same position, and yet also not promise playing time.

You're right, Coach K wouldn't BS him and say he has just as much chance to play as TT, but he would say "you SHOULD start and I expect you to play a lot, BUT you will HAVE TO EARN IT." Ya dig? Nothing is promised, everything is earned.

I dig and no snark intended my friend. Your bolded statement is exactly how I feel as well so I'm not sure what we are arguing anymore. I guess it was because the original post I responded to way back in this thread was saying that Dre would start over Austin. I just can't agree with that.

Kedsy
05-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Kedsy is the RSCI guru who can explain it better but yes, it takes several of the popular rankings such as rivals, scout, etc and averages them out. It is a better was of finding out how highly the kid should be rated as usually there is a ranking in one of the lists that is far too high or too low depending on the kid.

As an example I think one of the sites had Scheyer ranked like 72 or something like that. I think in the RCSI he was like 28.

Well, I wouldn't call myself a guru, but Boozer is essentially correct on everything else. RSCI is a composite of the major recruiting services. Which services vary from year to year, but in 2010, the seven services used by RSCI include: Prep Stars (Brick Oettinger), Prep Stars (Rob Harrington), Hoopmasters (Van Coleman/Bob Gibbons), Insiders (Dave Telep), Rivals (Jerry Meyer/Justin Young), All Star Report (Bob Gibbons), and Scouts, Inc./ESPN. In other years it has included different services.

It's actually a composite, rather than an average. They give 100 points to the top guy in each service, 99 to the next guy, etc., all the way down to 1 point to the 100th guy in each service (and zero if unranked, which is an issue because it doesn't distinguish between #101 and #500). They add up all the numbers and rank the players accordingly. Since recruiting is so subjective, it's main value is it smooths out the outliers. For example, last year Mason Plumlee was rated 10th by Scouts, Inc., 55th by Rivals, and between 12th and 21st by the other five services used. The outlier ranking by Rivals dropped him to #18 instead of, say, #13, but it still kept him in the top 20, which was essentially the consensus of everyone else. Eric Bledsoe was unranked by two of the seven services, which dropped him to #52 instead of approximately #33, but at least acknowledged his existence, which Scouts, Inc., and Bob Gibbons failed to do. Jon Scheyer was ranked #71 by rivals and #13 by Clark Francis, but between 20 and 28 by everyone else and he had a composite ranking of #28. Nolan Smith was ranked #6 by Bob Gibbons and #12 by Clark Francis, but #39 by Rivals and between 20 and 30 by everyone else. His composite of #19 seems more reasonable than either #6 or #39.

Nothing's perfect in recruiting, but to me I'd rather smooth out the outliers and get more of a consensus, which is why I prefer RSCI to any of the individual services.

oldnavy
05-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Its about being HONEST, and there is no way Coach K can honestly tell Austin that he will start from Day 1 b/c Coach K can't possibly know that! He doesn't know how good Seth and Dre will be after another year against ACC competition. Look at the leap Nolan made from freshman year to junior year. You think Austin starts over Nolan this year? And K, as well as others, don't know how Austin will adjust to the ACC level of competition, so its just too hard accurately predict who will start.

OK you say, "so Coach K doesn't use it in his shpeel, but Austin says he wants to know about playing time"

Fine. Coach K says "you're good enough to start for us, but we have tremendous talent on this team - we did just win a national title - so you'll be competing with them everyday in practice and regardless of whether you start or not, you'll play quite a bit. Look at Jon Scheyer as a soph and Mike Dunleavy as a frosh, those guys were key 6th men for my teams playing 25+mpg. Just as importantly, practicing against elite talent everyday will make you into a better player."

Now that's not to say Coach K WOULDN'T tell someone they would start from day 1. In the case like Kyrie, as I posted earlier, we need a true PG and Kyrie is just that and is a tremendous talent, so yea the HONEST answer is "Kyrie, you're gonna start at PG for us."

So the way "it" works with coach K is plain and simple: tell it like it is.

In K we trust :)

And the ""good kids get that and actually appreciate it. Probably the reasons we have so little trouble with our guys off the court. They appreciate honesty and integrity, and nobody does that better than K.

CDu
05-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure if your nitpicks were meant as a joke or not (if they were I'm sorry) but just to nitpick further:
2008: Jennings is number 1 on both Scout and ESPN while Monroe was 8th on Rivals, the 2nd rated C on Scout (behind BJ Mullens), and 20th on ESPN. Hardly consensus.
2005: Hendrix was the 4th PF on Scout and 9th overall on Rivals. Bynum was 6th on Scout and 1st on Rivals.

It was not a joke. I was using RSCI (which is a combination of the rankings of several major recruiting services). Unfortunately, I was using the "summer" rankings, which are one year prior to the final rankings:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Summer_2005.htm

In their senior years, Bynum made a charge from being unranked (or poorly ranked) in several services to being the #10 recruit. Hendrix fell from #1 to #7.

Either way, in 2005, the top recruit was not Andrew Bynum. He was not the #1 recruit on any of the services considered by RSCI, . We actually landed the #1 recruit that year (McRoberts):
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2005.htm

Similarly, Monroe was the #1 recruit the summer before his senior year, but fell to #6 overall in the end (but the #1 PF):
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2008.htm

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 08:40 AM
It was not a joke. I was using RSCI (which is a combination of the rankings of several major recruiting services). Unfortunately, I was using the "summer" rankings, which are one year prior to the final rankings:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Summer_2005.htm

In their senior years, Bynum made a charge from being unranked (or poorly ranked) in several services to being the #10 recruit. Hendrix fell from #1 to #7.

Either way, in 2005, the top recruit was not Andrew Bynum. He was not the #1 recruit on any of the services considered by RSCI, . We actually landed the #1 recruit that year (McRoberts):
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2005.htm

Similarly, Monroe was the #1 recruit the summer before his senior year, but fell to #6 overall in the end (but the #1 PF):
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2008.htm

I am only somewhat familiar with RSCI but the descrepency makes more sense if you were using the summer before rankings.

In 2005 it would be more than fair to slide Josh into the top spot. Is Jennings in the top spot using the RSCI rankings in 2008?

CDu
05-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I am only somewhat familiar with RSCI but the descrepency makes more sense if you were using the summer before rankings.

In 2005 it would be more than fair to slide Josh into the top spot. Is Jennings in the top spot using the RSCI rankings in 2008?

Yes, Jennings ended up on top in 2008 in RSCI.

The benefit of RSCI is that it takes a composite of multiple rankings. This helps reduce the effect of variation in opinion among different services. I think it's less of an issue at/near the top (most services are fairly consistent in who is a top-5 player). But after about 20, you can get wide variation. Here's a link to RSCI: http://www.rscihoops.com/

Channing
05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
with the Wears gone Roy no longer has his scholarship crunch to worry about. I am still concerned that AR is keeping UNC in his conversation (even if we are the so called leaders). If there is one thing Roy can do, its recruit.

Duvall
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
with the Wears gone Roy no longer has his scholarship crunch to worry about. I am still concerned that AR is keeping UNC in his conversation (even if we are the so called leaders). If there is one thing Roy can do, its recruit.

With the Wears gone, Roy can't afford to give one of those scholarships to a combo guard. They need big men.

Olympic Fan
05-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Believe me, whether you think Roy does or doesn't have a real chance at getting Rivers, the Wear transfer and the so-called numbers crunch has nothing to do with it.

Of the 11 players left that are committed through 2011-12, I guarantee yoju that more will leave -- either through early NBA entry next year (Barnes and Henson are the most likely), further transfers this spring (Watts and McDonald are still possible) or transfers after the 2011 season.

He'll have room for Austin ... getting him to pick UNC is his big hurdle.

yancem
05-06-2010, 09:40 AM
With the Wears gone, Roy can't afford to give one of those scholarships to a combo guard. They need big men.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Henson could go pro after next season and right now unc only has McAdoo coming in. With two scholarships now available I would expect Ol'Roy to focus on froncourt players. Of course Barnes is likely to go pro and McDonald or some other guard could transfer opening up more scholarships giving him more flexibility.

DukeSince'77
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
don't forget they have PJ Hairston also

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes, Jennings ended up on top in 2008 in RSCI.

The benefit of RSCI is that it takes a composite of multiple rankings. This helps reduce the effect of variation in opinion among different services. I think it's less of an issue at/near the top (most services are fairly consistent in who is a top-5 player). But after about 20, you can get wide variation. Here's a link to RSCI: http://www.rscihoops.com/

Ok thanks for the link.

Gthoma2a
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Wonder if Roy will give Qmillertime a call with his big men all likely to be moving on... I would love to read Quincy's response on Twitter if he does.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Wonder if Roy will give Qmillertime a call with his big men all likely to be moving on... I would love to read Quincy's response on Twitter if he does.

I'd be shocked if he didn't, but with McAdoo coming in and more than likely Cody Zeller (Tyler's bro im guessing), they'll probably be all set with big guys from 2011, but nothing is set in stone.

The good thing about all of this is that Duke IS all set with big guys for a lil bit. Getting the commitment from Gbinije and Adams, all of out focus is going to be on Austin, with maybe some Quinn Cook sprinkled in from time to time. I like our chances.

airowe
05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I'd be shocked if he didn't, but with McAdoo coming in and more than likely Cody Zeller (Tyler's bro im guessing), they'll probably be all set with big guys from 2011, but nothing is set in stone.

The good thing about all of this is that Duke IS all set with big guys for a lil bit. Getting the commitment from Gbinije and Adams, all of out focus is going to be on Austin, with maybe some Quinn Cook sprinkled in from time to time. I like our chances.

Duke will be going after Quincy Miller until the ship is sailed. You could consider him a big.

Duke will also run the race with Amir Williams.

Not sure the Duke staff agrees that Duke is all set with big guys...

MisterRoddy
05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Duke will be going after Quincy Miller until the ship is sailed. You could consider him a big.

They know something we don't or they just want to add a lot of depth

airowe
05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
They know something we don't or they just want to add a lot of depth

I think it's clear the staff is prepping for the departure of at least one Plumlee and see our backcourt as an area of strength, regardless of Kyrie's decision after the end of the year.

I don't think it's knowing something we don't, I think it's a reaction to past early departures and an attitude of proactivity, not reactivity...

MisterRoddy
05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I think it's clear the staff is prepping for the departure of at least one Plumlee and see our backcourt as an area of strength, regardless of Kyrie's decision after the end of the year.

I don't think it's knowing something we don't, I think it's a reaction to past early departures and an attitude of proactivity, not reactivity...

That definitely makes sense. Hopefully the fact that we'd most likely be fine without any of these recruits doesnt deter them from strongly considering us. We'd be great with a guy like Quincy Miller and he would definitely get extended playing time for us provided he's willing to put in the work for K.

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Gotta agree with airowe here about the Duke staff.

Also, you could consider Q a big guy but I think he is much more naturally a 3. The great thing about him is that he could easily play the 4 or the 2 as well. I've said this before but he reminds me a lot of Durant when he was at Texas.

Cockabeau
05-07-2010, 09:36 AM
To me out of everything I have heard a Gbijne, Rivers,Adams,Amir Williams class is the most likely

MisterRoddy
05-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Gotta agree with airowe here about the Duke staff.

Also, you could consider Q a big guy but I think he is much more naturally a 3. The great thing about him is that he could easily play the 4 or the 2 as well. I've said this before but he reminds me a lot of Durant when he was at Texas.

Ha I think that's the general consensus for everyone who has seen his game.

borodevil16
05-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Wait, I thoughy Henson was Durant?? call me confused

Gewebe14
05-07-2010, 10:06 AM

I think you have confused "Durant" with "Awful"

DevilHorns
05-07-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm maybe in the minority here... but I am actually worried about Henson next year. He was one of the few players on that squad that did anything right after Davis went down.

That said, I have never heard anyone saying Henson was supposed to be the next Durant. That is just straight hilarious.

flyingdutchdevil
05-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm maybe in the minority here... but I am actually worried about Henson next year. He was one of the few players on that squad that did anything right after Davis went down.

That said, I have never heard anyone saying Henson was supposed to be the next Durant. That is just straight hilarious.

Durant, T. Prince, and Henson are all similar, aka looking unnaturally unhealthy for basketball athletes. If the NBA was a fashion show, they would be the Kate Mosses of the bunch.

Henson and Durant only get compared due to their thin frame. That is where the comparisons end.

DeBlueDevil
05-07-2010, 11:19 AM

IMO I wouldn't worry about Henson to much. Do I think he'll get better? Of course, but due to the Wear brothers transferring the holes obviously will be thin at the 4 and 5 so Henson will definitely spend a majority of his time close to the paint and trying to give UNC some kind of inside presence. Unless, he gained 30 to 40 lbs and developed a mean post attitude I'm not to worried.

Now if he could be used as more of the swing type player that he is then I would worry but I just don't see him causing too much damage in the paint. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-07-2010, 11:26 AM
To me out of everything I have heard a Gbijne, Rivers,Adams,Amir Williams class is the most likely

I don't think anyone would be dissapointed with this :D

As long as we get Rivers, I would consider it another successful recruiting year.

Cockabeau
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, Chicago I agree with you 100%

Landing Rivers is so crucial in sustaining our momentum.

Amir Williams would be icing on the cake. I absolutely love this kid

ChicagoCrazy84
05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
IMO I wouldn't worry about Henson to much. Do I think he'll get better? Of course, but due to the Wear brothers transferring the holes obviously will be thin at the 4 and 5 so Henson will definitely spend a majority of his time close to the paint and trying to give UNC some kind of inside presence. Unless, he gained 30 to 40 lbs and developed a mean post attitude I'm not to worried.

Now if he could be used as more of the swing type player that he is then I would worry but I just don't see him causing too much damage in the paint. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

He'll cause problems because of his ridiculous wing span, so a lot of those problems will be defensively. I don't think Henson will be gaining 30-40 pounds of muscle anytime soon so he'll still have his weaknesses. I wouldn't be too worried about him. Honestly, what does Henson have that Mason doesn't?

Big Pappa
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I think you have confused "Durant" with "Awful"

He certainly isn't awful. Losing Davis, Thompson, and now the twins will really hurt them inside, but I fully expect Henson to be their most effective player not named Harrison Barnes.

whereinthehellami
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I look for Henson to average doubles in rebounding and to lead the conference in block shots. He should average doubles in points too but that depends on how much he sees of the ball with the new clique coming in.

Jderf
05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I look for Henson to average doubles in rebounding and to lead the conference in block shots. He should average doubles in points too but that depends on how much he sees of the ball with the new clique coming in.

Yea, I don't know about you guys, but I think Henson could really break out next year. First off, he's going to be playing a LOT of minutes, whether or not Roy picks up another big late in the game. So even if he just plays mediocre, he should fill up the stat sheet. Second, he actually surprised me last year with his late-season improvement. I think he went for 14 and 8 for something against us, in a game were we really, really just ran all over them, and he looked to me like the only player on UNC that was actually trying. Third, he might actually have a point guard that can get him the ball in the half-court (though I understand the board is mixed on Kendal's abilities). We'll see how much he improves in the off-season, I guess, but I have a suspicion that he might be really scary. Hopefully the Plumlees can just muscle him around inside.

MChambers
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Yea, I don't know about you guys, but I think Henson could really break out next year. First off, he's going to be playing a LOT of minutes, whether or not Roy picks up another big late in the game. So even if he just plays mediocre, he should fill up the stat sheet. Second, he actually surprised me last year with his late-season improvement. I think he went for 14 and 8 for something against us, in a game were we really, really just ran all over them, and he looked to me like the only player on UNC that was actually trying. Third, he might actually have a point guard that can get him the ball in the half-court (though I understand the board is mixed on Kendal's abilities). We'll see how much he improves in the off-season, I guess, but I have a suspicion that he might be really scary. Hopefully the Plumlees can just muscle him around inside.

I'll always remember Jordan Davidson stripping him in the final seconds as Henson went for a dunk. :)

I think Henson will be good next year, although I am skeptical that he'll ever have much of a shot, which will limit him.

jipops
05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Anyone know how Henson became the topic in an Austin Rivers thread?

roywhite
05-07-2010, 02:30 PM

He's so thin he can squeeze into tight places?

SilkyJ
05-07-2010, 02:39 PM

POTD!

resident comedian, RW. I think i've laughed outloud at more of your posts than anyone else's.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-07-2010, 02:57 PM

LOL!!!

But back to Austin Rivers!

MChambers
05-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Henson has a cage full of violent gerbils in his dorm room.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know when his next hsh dairy is coming out?

dcar1985
05-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know when his next hsh dairy is coming out?

Came out today...http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/05/austin-rivers-diary-visiting-duke/ ....its very Duke heavy, good sign

roywhite
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Came out today...http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/05/austin-rivers-diary-visiting-duke/ ....its very Duke heavy, good sign

Thanks for posting.

I liked the part about how Austin wanted his AAU coach Therion Joseph to see and like Duke, too.

To be honest, Coach T.J. had only seen Florida and it’s been kind of annoying always having him in my ear saying “Gator this” and “Gator that.” So I wanted him to see Duke and see what they had to offer down there. Right after we left there he was in the Duke family! It was funny! He went from being a Gator to a Blue Devil in a matter of hours. He was just really impressed with how they operate and the atmosphere down there. He and my other AAU coaches are from rough areas here in Florida, and for them to see something so beautiful down there and get to see how much of a family they are down there was great for them. It made their day.

baby-face dawkins
05-07-2010, 07:53 PM

I like what he's saying, seems to be a lot about Duke. But then again he still is going to visit those other schools so we'll see

But, decision in August means we all have 4 more months of this!:eek:

MisterRoddy
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM

I think the most telling is the 2nd to last paragraph (last sentence in particular).

Off the court I’ve just been chilling with my girlfriend and my family. It’s relaxing for me and it gets my mind off of basketball for a while. That’s necessary for me. My girlfriend is a freshman at a community college down here, but she’s gonna try and follow me to school. That’s the plan. So if I go to Duke she’s gonna go to a school down there.

:D

Also, he didnt really mention Florida at all and the one time he did, the word "annoying" was in the same context.

DukeBlueNV
05-07-2010, 08:36 PM
wow honestly judging from that article i will be SHOCKED if we dont get him! i expected this journal entry to be pro duke but that was crazy! he talked about everything from trying to get his aau coaches to understand why he wants to go to duke, how he is buds with irving and even explained how his gf is going to follow him to duke if he commits (i like how he says duke not "which ever school i choose") and he also adds that he wants to go to a top team and as long as the plumlees, seth, dawkins and irving all come back we should be a top team in 2011 as well.... hopefully he doesnt fall for roy williams' used car salesmen routine or suddenly fall in love with TX or KU and we will be GOOOOOOOD!

wilko
05-07-2010, 08:47 PM
TX?? really?.
Now they have a fine university, dont get me wrong. But they also have Rick Barnes. Somehow, unless the young man in question has Tx roots, I cant really convince myself they are a contender.

KU and UNC are a different story. Those will make me sweat until he signs.

MisterRoddy
05-07-2010, 09:41 PM
TX?? really?.
Now they have a fine university, dont get me wrong. But they also have Rick Barnes. Somehow, unless the young man in question has Tx roots, I cant really convince myself they are a contender.

I'm pretty sure Austin Rivers is NOT Canadian. He's not going to Texas.

chrisheery
05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
If he doesn't go to Duke, I will think he was intentionally messing with Duke fans. That journal was absurdly pro-Duke.

Newton_14
05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
If he doesn't go to Duke, I will think he was intentionally messing with Duke fans. That journal was absurdly pro-Duke.

I agree but I think he is just being real. I doubt he is doing anything other than just speaking how he currently feels. It could always change for sure, but in this case I don't think it will.

Did you also notice the HSH Top 50 Rankings on that page? They now have Austin ranked Number 2 ahead of the Prince. Interesting. Kyrie was 5th. I still think Kyrie should be ranked ahead of Knight. I don't get what everyone sees in Knight. He is good but imo can't touch Irving. But that discussion is for another thread.

There was also an article linked on that page that indicates the folks at the dump on the hump are going hot and heavy after the Jack kid. Desperation setting in?

roywhite
05-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Austin Rivers is NOT Canadian. He's not going to Texas.

Good point.

Hook 'em Horns, eh?

MisterRoddy
05-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Good point.

Hook 'em Horns, eh?

lol

Did you also notice the HSH Top 50 Rankings on that page? They now have Austin ranked Number 2 ahead of the Prince. Interesting. Kyrie was 5th. I still think Kyrie should be ranked ahead of Knight. I don't get what everyone sees in Knight. He is good but imo can't touch Irving. But that discussion is for another thread.

I am pretty sure those rankings are out-dated. Every scouting service has realized that Knight is the 3rd best pg at best in this class with Irving and Selby being numbers 1 and 2 (respectively...except for Rivals..) Also, Brad Beal is ranked 42 (compared to Rivers' 2nd) Beal, imo, should be ranked no farther than 10 down from Rivers, their skills are very similar but I think Rivers is a little better. Long story short, Beal is NOT 42nd. Also, Enes Kanter is no where to be found in those rankings and he is obviously at least top 25. Not sure when they update their rankings but those are at least a few months old.

-bdbd
05-08-2010, 02:42 AM
TX?? really?.

This story/posting, and others like it recently, certainly makes things look pretty good for the Royal Blue squad from Durham. We should feel pretty good about this one, though taking nothing for granted of course. Would love to see him have some positive influence on our recruitment of QM. Certainly wouldn't hurt that effort if, for example, we got a commitment from AR a few weeks before QM's decision... Hey, we can dream right? ;) :rolleyes: :)

Daniel tosh
05-08-2010, 08:37 AM
lol

I am pretty sure those rankings are out-dated. Every scouting service has realized that Knight is the 3rd best pg at best in this class with Irving and Selby being numbers 1 and 2 (respectively...except for Rivals..) Also, Brad Beal is ranked 42 (compared to Rivers' 2nd) Beal, imo, should be ranked no farther than 10 down from Rivers, their skills are very similar but I think Rivers is a little better. Long story short, Beal is NOT 42nd. Also, Enes Kanter is no where to be found in those rankings and he is obviously at least top 25. Not sure when they update their rankings but those are at least a few months old.

Actually they were updated just a week or two ago.

MisterRoddy
05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Actually they were updated just a week or two ago.

Really? Hm that's a surprise

Channing
05-09-2010, 11:01 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/05/austin-rivers-diary-visiting-duke/

I didnt see this linked here yet. The pesky heels wont just go away...

WiJoe
05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/05/austin-rivers-diary-visiting-duke/

see post 1227

Kedsy
05-10-2010, 12:22 AM

That's what you took away from this article? Now, please tell me how much fluid is in that glass you're holding?

Channing
05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
That's what you took away from this article? Now, please tell me how much fluid is in that glass you're holding?

Its about a quarter empty...

airowe
05-10-2010, 12:32 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/05/austin-rivers-seems-ready-to-be-a-dukie/1

CrazieDUMB
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/05/austin-rivers-seems-ready-to-be-a-dukie/1

oh man - this stuff just makes me more nervous until it's final

left_hook_lacey
05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
see post 1227

I will say one thing from that article does worry me. He says wherever he ends up enrolling his girlfriend is going to follow him there. I wonder if she's going to have any influence on his decision. If he chooses Duke, what if she can't get in or doesn't like the idea of coming to Duke. Will he go somewhere else so they can be at the same school?

I know it seems silly to think a young man with such a future ahead of him would let a teenage girl influence his decision, but if they're close enough that they want to go to the same college, I have a feeling he'll at least listen to what she has to say, assuming she has an opinion about it.

Duke of Nashville
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I will say one thing from that article does worry me. He says wherever he ends up enrolling his girlfriend is going to follow him there. I wonder if she's going to have any influence on his decision. If he chooses Duke, what if she can't get in or doesn't like the idea of coming to Duke. Will he go somewhere else so they can be at the same school?

I know it seems silly to think a young man with such a future ahead of him would let a teenage girl influence his decision, but if they're close enough that they want to go to the same college, I have a feeling he'll at least listen to what she has to say, assuming she has an opinion about it.

It also says she was enrolled at a community college. I would assume she would stay on a similar path...

Jderf
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM

From the way I read it, I thought he was saying that she was going to try to just go to a school in the same area.

Turtleboy
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
From the way I read it, I thought he was saying that she was going to try to just go to a school in the same area.That's exactly what he said.