PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

atomicdukie
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree on the most part, but it is still hard to not get a tad bit excited. There is a difference between a guy lying and a guy giving baseless information and the parts that are more cut and dry when it comes to his recruitment do seem to go in our favor. Now, I know that in the past Harrison Barnes has put on Duke gear and has looked the part, but everything considered, you have got to believe that we are very much in the lead. The kid de-commits, we win a national championship, he was already looking hard at us, and now he's sporting Duke gear at a Nike camp. I'm just saying. Hopefully we hear something else from the "mainstream" bloggers to increase the intensity of this speculation.

Don't know if this has been posted or if the author qualifies as a "mainstream blogger", but the comment/speculation certainly seems encouraging

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/375998-huge-college-basketball-recruiting-news-kansas-duke-kentucky-and-more

wilko
04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
I've become a bit of a cynic about these things.

It just entertainment to me, but these dudes have to LIVE it.

So they will do what they will do, and ultimately it will have a minimal impact on my life. Im gonna root for the guys we HAVE regardless.

After Deng and Livingstone and HB.... I'll just wait to see who suits up and get behind them.

That said, if someone wants to throw some free nuggets my way, fine, I'll take it. Entertain me.

But now that we won... I cant gripe about we didn't do this... or we didn't do that well enough, things have to change blah blah blah... So all this energy has to go somewhere... so "Hello recruiting"

Its all good, but I ain't taking anything anyone says as Gospel until they lace them up and take the court.

Kdogg
04-13-2010, 10:30 AM
After Deng and Livingstone and HB.... I'll just wait to see who suits up and get behind them.

Really? You are throwing Luol with Livingstone and Barnes. He DID suit up and helped the team to a Final Four. It was not like he wanted to leave school, more that he had to leave to support his family.

wilko
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Really? You are throwing Luol with Livingstone and Barnes. He DID suit up and helped the team to a Final Four. It was not like he wanted to leave school, more that he had to leave to support his family.

You seem to say that as though I am making some sort of judgment on them.
I am not.

I picked an early departure, a no-show, and someone who spurned Duke.
Feel free to insert names of other folks you would prefer.

Each one represents a different situation; and that has led me down the path to not getting as wrapped up in recruiting as I otherwise might.

flyingdutchdevil
04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
You seem to say that as though I am making some sort of judgment on them.
I am not.

I picked an early departure, a no-show, and someone who spurned Duke.
Feel free to insert names of other folks you would prefer.

Each one represents a different situation; and that has led me down the path to not getting as wrapped up in recruiting as I otherwise might.

Totally agree that HB and Livingston spurned Duke. But Deng? Really?

He left for a legitimate reason - his family needed money and his stock was soaring! I was a freshman when he was a freshman and rumor was that he really wanted to stay but his family's needs came first. Deng is a Blue Devil through and through. Putting him in the same group as HB is utterly distasteful.

NYC Duke Fan
04-13-2010, 11:36 AM

He left for a legitimate reason - his family needed money and his stock was soaring! I was a freshman when he was a freshman and rumor was that he really wanted to stay but his family's needs came first. Deng is a Blue Devil through and through. Putting him in the same group as HB is utterly distasteful.

Agree with you wholeheartedly about putting Deng in the same group as HB.

Disagree though about Deng being a Blue Devil through and through. Totally understand his reasons for leaving, they are certainly justified and in similar circumstances I would have done the same, but I do not consider Deng as a true Dukie. Anyone who leaves after only one year in my mind just does not qualify.

DukeGirl4ever
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM

This is your English teacher telling you to go back and re-read Wilko's post. :D
He didn't say Deng "spurned" Duke....he was giving an example of 3 types of situations that for Duke fans were (maybe) letdowns.

Deng did what he needed to do and more power to him.

left_hook_lacey
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
...heavy sigh...

Heavy Sigh? That's an awesome problem to have if you ask me. Can you imagine what a fresh Austin Rivers could do to a defense when he comes in to relieve a starter? Most defenses in college basketball do not have enough personel to guard Curry, Dawkins, and Irving hard for 10 minutes, only to have Austin Rivers come in off the bench. He would shred most any defense in that situation, and/or get the other teams guards in foul trouble early.

Starter
04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Right, except there's no way Austin Rivers goes anywhere to come off the bench. Nor should he, he'd almost certainly be better than the guys starting ahead of him.

BD80
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Heavy Sigh? That's an awesome problem to have if you ask me. Can you imagine what a fresh Austin Rivers could do to a defense when he comes in to relieve a starter? Most defenses in college basketball do not have enough personel to guard Curry, Dawkins, and Irving hard for 10 minutes, only to have Austin Rivers come in off the bench. He would shred most any defense in that situation, and/or get the other teams guards in foul trouble early.

This is an argument many of us try NOT to allow to continue. It is a "starting line-up" type argument that devolves into posters pointing out deficiencies of a chosen Duke player in an attempt to "win" an argument suggesting another Duke player should start. It got REALLY ugly with respect to why many thought one of the Plumlees should start over Zoubek. There are plenty of other examples - nobody wins and the result is public evidence of Duke "fans" denigrating Duke players. This board ranks very high in the Google search results. Many of us do not even open the "starting line-up" threads for this reason, we wish they would go away.

Please don't drag that mentality into a thread celebrating a prized recruit. Austin is one of those special recruits that will start from day one. If you want to argue that Andre would start over Austin, I'm certain that the debate rages in one of the "starting line-up" threads. Let's leave this thread, at least, free of such debate.

SupaDave
04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
This is an argument many of us try NOT to allow to continue. It is a "starting line-up" type argument that devolves into posters pointing out deficiencies of a chosen Duke player in an attempt to "win" an argument suggesting another Duke player should start. It got REALLY ugly with respect to why many thought one of the Plumlees should start over Zoubek. There are plenty of other examples - nobody wins and the result is public evidence of Duke "fans" denigrating Duke players. This board ranks very high in the Google search results. Many of us do not even open the "starting line-up" threads for this reason, we wish they would go away.

Please don't drag that mentality into a thread celebrating a prized recruit. Austin is one of those special recruits that will start from day one. If you want to argue that Andre would start over Austin, I'm certain that the debate rages in one of the "starting line-up" threads. Let's leave this thread, at least, free of such debate.

We'll start 5 guards before Austin sits the bench. That I guarantee...

theAlaskanBear
04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
We'll start 5 guards before Austin sits the bench. That I guarantee...

And theoretically, there is no reason a 5-guard lineup can't win college basketball games.

Starter
04-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Five won't happen, nor should it, but I think a multifaceted three-man backcourt of Irving, Rivers and Curry would be off-the-charts good. Illinois made the finals in a better NCAA climate with Luther Head, Dee Brown and Deron Williams. I think even with Deron involved, these three guys would be better -- Irving, Rivers and Curry all project (at least to me) as future NBA players. And good ones.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Rivers. But if it this comes together, it would be absolutely spectacular. Those three young men and our two best forwards -- whoever they are at the time -- would be an astounding lineup.

hedevil
04-13-2010, 04:15 PM
No knock on Rivers, I really hope we can land him at Duke, but I think the upcoming backcourt with Smith's leadership/experience would probably be better than the following years' with Rivers. Maybe not. Something tells me that Smith, Curry, and Irving are going to make a superb backcourt this season. However, if Irving stays for a third year to team up with Curry and Rivers during his sophmore year, watch out. Handsdown the best backcourt in the nation.

left_hook_lacey
04-13-2010, 05:01 PM

I am in no way trying to make the argument that any of the players mentioned should start or not start. I was merely making the point that having that kind of talent and depth at the 1's and 2's would be a good problem to have. I would never speculate or question K's judgment as to when or why any player starts, or why a certain players minutes are up or down. I have always cringed at those type of arguments on this board and in my personal circle of friends, whether it be about Duke or any other team. I actually think it's silly when people try to yell about what is best for a coach of any D-1 basketball school, especially in regards to personel decisions such as playing time. Sorry for any spelling errors, its 5pm, gotta get going and hit the range.

Indoor66
04-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Right, except there's no way Austin Rivers goes anywhere to come off the bench. Nor should he, he'd almost certainly be better than the guys starting ahead of him.

A HUGE assumption not supported by any evidence except anecdotal evidence.

Duke of Nashville
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Looks like Doc Rivers is thinking about stepping down...again (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5085789).

jimrowe0
04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Rivers is going to be a star and he WILL start anywhere he goes....end of discussion.

muzikfrk75
04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Looks like Doc Rivers is thinking about stepping down...again (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5085789).

Didn't know that he has a son that plays at Indiana

NYC Duke Fan
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Hire him as an assistant coach, and if he son doesn't come to Duke then fire him !!!

tbyers11
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Didn't know that he has a son that plays at Indiana

Yeah, Jeremiah played at Georgetown for 2 years, then transferred to Indiana, sat out a year and played his junior season last year.

Go 2 Hell Carolina
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Latest on Rivers

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/04/austin-rivers-speaks-on-florida-de-commitment/

jimrowe0
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Austin, what are the main factors in choosing a school?
I think you have to have a great relationship with the coach and you have to have the style of play. I like going up and down. I like scoring. I like shooting threes. I like getting at someone playing defense. I don’t want to play the Princeton offense. So, the schools I choose are gonna be schools that get up and down and play a high-paced game.

Well considering this will be the formula next year...sounds like he described Duke's team for next year exactly.

CDu
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I think you have to have a great relationship with the coach and you have to have the style of play. I like going up and down. I like scoring. I like shooting threes. I like getting at someone playing defense. I don’t want to play the Princeton offense. So, the schools I choose are gonna be schools that get up and down and play a high-paced game.

Well considering this will be the formula next year...sounds like he described Duke's team for next year exactly.

Let's just hope he bases his style-of-play opinion on what he expects that he'll see from us next year (I assume he'll make his decision before next season starts) rather than what he has seen from us last year or the last few years.

dcdevil2009
04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Did anyone notice when asked about why he kept mentioning kentucky he mentioned wall, tyreke evans, and derrick rose? i wonder what kentucky fans think about people playing for calipari first and kentucky a distant second.

striker219
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Did anyone notice when asked about why he kept mentioning kentucky he mentioned wall, tyreke evans, and derrick rose? i wonder what kentucky fans think about people playing for calipari first and kentucky a distant second.

They don't care. Heck, they're thrilled. At this point Kentucky fans are the kid putting the peanut butter sandwich in the VCR (I guess I could use a more updated analogy there) even though they know it will get them in trouble because they desperately crave the attention.

Starter
04-14-2010, 03:57 PM
A HUGE assumption not supported by any evidence except anecdotal evidence.

Nah, I got eyes. And I did say "almost" certainly.

But yeah, I stand by it.

left_hook_lacey
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM

True, but that still kinda scares me though. Carolina wants to run more than anyone. Just look at last season, they didn't have the personel to run like they have the last 2-3 years, and Roy still tried to make them. I hope that running the court isn't THE most important aspect of game that intices him, because we lose on that front. But shooting 3's and defense oriented, we win.

Vasherized
04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Not much new info in here on Rivers, just more building evidence that Duke is the best fit and he ultimately ends up in Durham. There is some interesting stuff on some other high profile recruits you might find interesting. Unfortunately, not every elite player gets to be a Blue Devil. :)

Weekly Whispers (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/04/14/weekly-whispers-4142010/)

left_hook_lacey
04-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok, I'm officially worried now.

"I’m good friends with Kendall Marshall and Harrison Barnes."

I noticed at MCD's All-America game and post-game interviews, Barnes, Marshall and Bullock seemed to be a pretty tight-knit group. It makes me wonder if they're trying to get Austin to go there and play with them. That would be a strong, deep team if he did.

chrisheery
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM

I noticed at MCD's All-America game and post-game interviews, Barnes, Marshall and Bullock seemed to be a pretty tight-knit group. It makes me wonder if they're trying to get Austin to go there and play with them. That would be a strong, deep team if he did.

One question later he says that KI is his dude. I would call this a non-factor.

left_hook_lacey
04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
One question later he says that KI is his dude. I would call this a non-factor.

Touche'

I jumped the gun because I started see spots and felt dizzy when I read that he was good friends with the future UNC players. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM

What makes you think that Harrison Barnes is anything more than a one year player at carolina?

loran16
04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
What makes you think that Harrison Barnes is anything more than a one year player at carolina?

Of note....with the (possible exception of players who have academic issues), even the obvious one-and-done players try to recruit guys for the next year.

There's always the possibility of an injury or bad season resulting in them coming back, so they would like the help, as well as some school pride. Plus it's sort of a tradition to recruit your AAU friends even if you won't be there.

Channing
04-14-2010, 04:31 PM

I also noticed that it seemed like Austin asked his coach to put out feelers to UNC rather than the other way around. The pessimist within me is grumbling.

Clipsfan
04-14-2010, 04:55 PM

I don't think that HB will be in college at the same time as Rivers.

SupaDave
04-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Touche'

I jumped the gun because I started see spots and felt dizzy when I read that he was good friends with the future UNC players. :D

Wont be the first or last time and it probably helps BOTH schools get recruits...

_Gary
04-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I'll just say this: I don't feel any better about getting Austin after reading those latest comments. I'm not saying it's time to panic or despair (that would be foolish, IMHO), but at the same time I'm not as confident we land him as I was before reading that Q&A.

jennja01
04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I'll just say this: I don't feel any better about getting Austin after reading those latest comments. I'm not saying it's time to panic or despair (that would be foolish, IMHO), but at the same time I'm not as confident we land him as I was before reading that Q&A.

I feel the same way. That Q&A was UNC heavy, which makes me nervous. This is starting to feel like HB all over again. If im Coach K, im bringing Austin in ASAP for another red carpet treatment. This kid is too special to lose to that school down the road.

vitony
04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
First off, Austin did not put out feelers for UNC. That is 100 percent false. Roy called Austin's AAU coach and asked permission to speak with Austin. Austin gave the permission and Roy flew down.

Doc wants Austin to go through an entire recruiting cycle. He has decommitted on track and has re-opened the recruitment. He will also probably take visits to Texas and UConn.

Over the next two months you will hear everything coming out of Carolina about how confident they are about landing Austin. You will hear after he takes his visit that he will commit. However, when the smoke clears he will be in Duke blue. This is not Barnes part II. Barnes was an ego maniac who used Duke's recruitment of him to hype himself up and in the end the MJ factor was too strong. This will not be the case with Austin.

In K we trust.

kong123
04-14-2010, 05:19 PM

He also said he was really close with Kyrie Irving. However, KI and HB are like "brothers" and it didn't pursued HB to go to Duke. I wouldn't read too much into those comments, his father will help him make the best decision based on the programs ability to win his first season and the quality of the teammates around him. This is from the interview.

Are you close with any players or recruits on the teams that are recruiting you?

"I'm really close with Kenny Boynton at Florida, I grew up playing against him. That's really it (in terms of current players). I don't really know any (players) at North Carolina, but I'm really close with Kendall Marshall and Harrison Barnes and they're North Carolina people ... And Kyrie, that's my dude. My two best friends in AAU are Kyrie Irving and Myck Kabongo and they try to get me to Texas and Duke. Those are two great guards that I'd love to play with. I text Myck every day."

What are the main factors you're looking for in picking a school?

"I think you have to have a great relationship with the coach and you have to like the style of play. I like going up and down, I like scoring, I like shooting threes, I like playing defense. I like going up and down - I don't want to play the Princeton offense. The schools I chose are going to play an up and down game. ... I want to go to a program where it's the prime time stage - if you can shine there you're good."

How important is a team's recent success in your decision?

"I chose Florida after they won two national championships. They've had a couple years struggling and they're rebuilding. ... I really don't look at a (program's) success as far as how they did a year when I wasn't there, I look at how they'll be when I'm there because that's all that matters."

Are you keeping in mind the players you might play with in college in making your decision?

"Definitely, for instance I'd play with Kenny Boynton, Patric Young and Brad Beal at Florida ... and at Duke I'd be playing with Kyrie Irving and such. You keep those things in mind."

DukeBlueNV
04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
looks like were are just gonna have to wait and see how this one plays out fellas... im thinking right now its a 45-35-20 chance for duke unc florida respectively but that can change quickly (especially if Kentucky enters) i think big factors in rivers rectruitment are as follows (in no particular order)...

Chance to play right away and star:
1)Florida
2)Kentucky
3)UNC
4)Duke

Chance to win:
1)Duke
2)UNC
3)Kentucky
4)Florida

Playing Style:
1)Kentucky
2)UNC
3)Duke
4)Florida

Hotness of Program (in HS players eyes)
1)Kentucky
2)UNC
3)Duke
4)Florida

Relationship with coach:
1)Florida
2)Duke
3)UNC
N/A Kentucky

Friends in Program:
1)Duke (he says KI is "his dude")
2)UNC (i think he says he is friends with barnes marshall etc. as in he knows them personally)
3)Florida (says boyton is a friend but hasnt taked in a while)
4)Kentucky (dunno who is or will be on the team and if rivers knows them)

Where dad perfers (from blurbs in articles/blogs i have read):
1)Duke
2)Florida
3)UNC
Kentucky (?)

Where he wants to go (without weighing playing time):
1)Duke
T-2) UNC, Kentucky
3)Florida

**didnt include TX cuz i think they are a bigtime underdog here

overall i think he wants to come to duke but may be scared away by the talent here... rivers did say he thinks he could start anywhere and that it wasnt a factor but im not sure i believe that... i worries me that he contacted roy, that he wants KY and TX to get involved and that he isnt happy choosing between duke and florida (a battle i think we win) but maybe he sincerly wants to make sure he is making the right decison (coming to duke) and wants to see what else is out there before making it official. august cant come soon enough because after the wall and barnes recutiments im tired of reading into every blog post and remark made by the recuit untill the decision is made. unfortunatly ill be checking the thread and reading his diaries because he is a great talent that would be awesome to have in a duke uni... we will just have to wait.

airowe
04-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Just so you guys know, that article was basically copied and pasted from an article produced by InsideCarolina.com. The articles Austin has done with other sites have been formatted with a....uh....different slant to them.

Houston
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
overall i think he wants to come to duke but may be scared away by the talent here... rivers did say he thinks he could start anywhere and that it wasnt a factor but im not sure i believe that... i worries me that he contacted roy, that he wants KY and TX to get involved and that he isnt happy choosing between duke and florida (a battle i think we win) but maybe he sincerly wants to make sure he is making the right decison (coming to duke) and wants to see what else is out there before making it official.

Rivers will start from day one at any school on his list. He is not afraid about the talent at any school. The only thing that should scare him are the knuckleheads in light blue!

Let the process play out. Austin is a smart kid and should make the right decision.

blueprofessor
04-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Doc may leave the Celtics to spend more time watching his kids play....

Link: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1247081&position=1

The more free time Doc has, the better for Duke!

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

roywhite
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Doc may leave the Celtics to spend more time watching his kids play....

Link: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1247081&position=1

The more free time Doc has, the better for Duke!

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

Jim and Laurie Scheyer have promised him their seats and plenty of camera time.

Nugget
04-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Whatever else one wants to say about it, that was an unusually thorough interview of Austin, as recruiting stories go. Nice work.

And the depth of his answers indicates that whether he ends up at Duke, Carolina or elsewhere, whichever school lands him will have signed a very good kid.

dukeballboy88
04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I hear that Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers back court may be the best ever in the ACC???

roywhite
04-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I hear that Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers back court may be the best ever in the ACC???

Well, I could say we should wait to see them in action before declaring that. But, really, we should at least wait to see if they both go to Duke and play on the same team.

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 08:47 PM
I just read this thing and I think, why all the panic here? So we should all jump off a bridge because he praised Harrison Barnes and Kendall Marshall? Let's revisit the Harrison Barnes situation to see how credible this stuff is:

In the Harrison Barnes case he did the following:

Wore a Duke Shirt at Cameron while playing a game of 21..

Referred to us as "we".

Surprised Coach K at his birthday party..

He and Kyrie were the best of buddies and still are...

So what did this add up to with him and Duke??

He also in this article mentioned the following about Irving of Duke and Texas:

"My two best friends in AAU are Kyrie Irving and Myck Kabongo and they try to get me to Texas and Duke. Those are two great guards that I'd love to play with. I text Myck every day." He also made some comments about Kenny Boynton which were extremely positive..

So what is this different from him saying things about Harrison Barnes and Kendall Marshall?

This whole thing left me with absolutely NOTHING and these quotes about Barnes and Marshall more then likely mean NOTHING.

I think we are still the clear front runners for him AT THIS POINT. Could it change? Absolutely, but should we be scared because he praised these two players? NO.

Also remember, he did not go to Roy Williams and UNC, they came to him.. He came to the Duke Campus on his own, He has came to several Duke games including a game vs. UNC where he called Duke "his team and has been close to Coach K, and has been influenced by Grant Hill and others..

Other then talking to him ONE TIME what has UNC done to recuit him? If you remember, Harrison Barnes visited UNC long before he did Duke and was greeted by Michael Jordan, Vince Carter and James Worthy.. That's a pretty big influence as well. And as much as people in here don't want to hear this UNC other then this year has been one of the elite programs in the nation and Roy has always done well with recruiting guys, such as he did with Harrison Barnes.

As you could see at the Macdonald's All America game, these players respect each other and a lot of them are friends.. but I think it has very little to do with recruiting...

So why are people getting so worried about this?

airowe
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Austin Rivers has only been to one Duke game and that was behind Georgetown's bench in support of his brother.

Harrison Barnes visited Duke before he did unc. Well before.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Why does every recruiting convo have Harrison Barnes in it? He's on unc why are we always talking about him? Sure he's a great player but some people are acting like he broke your hearts.

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Austin Rivers has only been to one Duke game and that was behind Georgetown's bench in support of his brother.

Harrison Barnes visited Duke before he did unc. Well before.

Take a look at this link about visits:

http://wisconsin.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p=8&c=1&nid=3142748

Visits by Rivers:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/top-recruits-prospects-attending-duke-vs-unc/

http://dimemag.com/2010/02/duke-and-unc-recruits-handicap-tonights-rivalry-game/

So he attended two games and the state championship game in Florida prevented from going to the 2nd UNC game..

airowe
04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Take a look at this link about visits:

http://wisconsin.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p=8&c=1&nid=3142748

Official Visits, yes you are correct. But, Harrison visited Duke and went to a game in Cameron long before that date.

Visits by Rivers:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/top-recruits-prospects-attending-duke-vs-unc/

http://dimemag.com/2010/02/duke-and-unc-recruits-handicap-tonights-rivalry-game/

So he attended two games and the state championship game in Florida prevented from going to the 2nd UNC game..

Austin Rivers has not been to a Duke game as a guest of Duke. He sat behind the bench when his brother Jeremiah played for Georgetown in Cameron.

DukeBlueNV
04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
austin rivers has not been to a duke game... dunno about that duke gtown game airowe mentioned that was obviously a few years ago seeing how his bro plays for indiana now.. but he didnt come to a game this year. dunno where u guys are getting ur info. he has only been to duke once for a visit where he met with k and had a tour of campus...

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Official Visits, yes you are correct. But, Harrison visited Duke and went to a game in Cameron long before that date.

evidence please...

Austin Rivers has not been to a Duke game as a guest of Duke. He sat behind the bench when his brother Jeremiah played for Georgetown in Cameron.

These sources say different..

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
austin rivers has not been to a duke game... dunno about that duke gtown game someone mentioned that was obviously a few years ago seeing how his bro plays for indiana now.. but he didnt come to a game this year. dunno where u guys are getting ur info. he has only been to duke once for a visit where he met with k and had a tour of campus...

check the links up above... He attended the Duke UNC game in Chapel hill.. Not as an official guest, but as someone who is intrested in possibly attending duke.. That's where I aam getting my info from..

airowe
04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
These sources say different..

Is this guy for real?

Your Austin Rivers links don't say he visited Duke. They show him stating Duke will win the game and that the state title game may prevent him from coming to said game. It did.

There are so many interweb stories about Harrison being in Cameron for the Duke-UNC game last year, I'm not going to search them for you. You cna google them yourself if you don't believe me.

You yourself said that Harrison surprised Coach K on his birthday. Do you know when Coach K's birthday is? You do know that Harrison decided for unc last Fall and hasn't spoken to the Duke staff since. How would it be possible for him to visit on Coach K's birthday AFTER he decided for carolina? Evidence please.

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Is this guy for real?

Your Austin Rivers links don't say he visited Duke. They show him stating Duke will win the game and that the state title game may prevent him from coming to said game. It did.

There are so many interweb stories about Harrison being in Cameron for the Duke-UNC game last year, I'm not going to search them for you. You cna google them yourself if you don't believe me.

You yourself said that Harrison surprised Coach K on his birthday. Do you know when Coach K's birthday is? You do know that Harrison decided for unc last Fall and hasn't spoken to the Duke staff since. How would it be possible for him to visit on Coach K's birthday AFTER he decided for carolina? Evidence please.

I looked through 10 pages on google and it said nothing about Barnes attending the Duke UNC game in 2009..

His birthday is February 13th... You are right about that.. Sorry for that...

However this fable you are saying about Barnes attending the games last fall is beginning to come out as just that...

That was a list of all the Duke UNC recruits that were attending that game.. Did you read it?

I am not the mistaken one my friend, you are on most of this..

I am for real, are you?

roywhite
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I looked through 10 pages on google and it said nothing about Barnes attending the Duke UNC game in 2009..

However this fable you are saying about Barnes attending the games last fall is beginning to come out as just that...

That was a list of all the Duke UNC recruits that were attending that game.. Did you read it?

I am for real, are you?

Easy now, O-knarf.

Barnes did attend the Duke--UNC game in Cameron in 2009 and visited Duke.

airowe knows his stuff; if you have a link that supports your claims, best to supply it.

I've lost track of whatever point you were trying to make.

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Easy now, O-knarf.

Barnes did attend the Duke--UNC game in Cameron in 2009 and visited Duke.

airowe knows his stuff; if you have a link that supports your claims, best to supply it.

I've lost track of whatever point you were trying to make.

My point is I went through 10 pages on google where the search was " Harrison Barnes attends Duke UNC game 2009 and found nothing...

That should be enough...

Mike Corey
04-14-2010, 09:52 PM
1) Austin Rivers did not attend a Duke game this past season.
2) Barnes attended the Duke-dUNCe game (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/ugroup/duke-vs-unc-draws-in-surprise-visit-for-blue-devils) on February 11, 2009. (http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/02/duke-basketball-team-report-looking-back-and-looking-ahead/)

Gotta work on your Googling skills, amigo.

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
2) Barnes attended the Duke-dUNCe game (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/ugroup/duke-vs-unc-draws-in-surprise-visit-for-blue-devils) on February 11, 2009. (http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/02/duke-basketball-team-report-looking-back-and-looking-ahead/)

Okay thanks.. I did not see that for some reason... My bad Airowe.

muzikfrk75
04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Sheesh, I'm getting to the point where I almost don't care if he comes to Duke.

Almost. :D

Lord Ash
04-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Because if ten exhaustively-searched pages of an oddly-worded google search doesn't prove it, NOTHING will.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/ugroup/duke-vs-unc-draws-in-surprise-visit-for-blue-devils

I think new folks should take the old DBR advice of "lean back and learn from the old folks" more often.

BD80
04-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Ah ha! Pronoun trouble!

striker219
04-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I'M SICK OF ALL OF THIS!!!

Is Harrison Barnes coming to Duke or not?!?!?!

Wait, what?

roywhite
04-14-2010, 11:34 PM

Strangely enough, a search of "Ames ego" does not bring up Harrison Barnes.

yancem
04-14-2010, 11:38 PM

I am for real, are you?

I some times find it helpful to look a a guy's post count before picking a fight about Duke history. It's not always an accurate gauge of knowledge but most of the guys with 4 digit post counts are fairly knowledgeable about Duke basketball's history and have their facts straight. Part of the reason is in order to reach that high of a post count they have to have read a lot of the threads and the fact that Barnes went to the '09 Duke vs unc game was posted probably a couple of hundred times in the Barnes recruiting thread. In fact, Duke losing that game is often cited by pessimists as the turning point in his recruitment.

Cameron
04-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Is Harrison Barnes coming to Duke or not?!?!?!

Are you seriously this out of the loop? Harrison committed to North Carolina in the fall. I'm running out of patience here. Hopefully we land Patterson so I can get on with my life. Oh, wait... National Champion.

:D

yancem
04-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Speaking of Barnes (or for that matter Wall) this thread is already up past 800 posts and Rivers hasn't even finished his junior year. I think we may have a challenger for the longest recruiting thread!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-14-2010, 11:41 PM
HAHA maybe but he's said he's going to decide at the end of the summer, so maybe not. although some juicy articles may be the thing to we need.

Cameron
04-14-2010, 11:43 PM
I believe the Wall thread went over 100 pages, didn't it?

It might have been well over that, too; I can't quite remember.

All I know is it was damn long and we won the national championship.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-14-2010, 11:49 PM
This is already the fourth longest thread, and in a couple of days it may pass the 2010 recruiting thread to trail only hb and jw thread. The John Wall thread was 126 pages long.

oldnavy
04-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Are you seriously this out of the loop? Harrison committed to North Carolina in the fall. I'm running out of patience here. Hopefully we land Patterson so I can get on with my life. Oh, wait... National Champion.

We will never win a NC playing our guys 40 minutes a game! Their legs will be too tired! K needs to develop the bench more!!

...What?? We won??

left_hook_lacey
04-15-2010, 08:23 AM
We will never win a NC playing our guys 40 minutes a game! Their legs will be too tired! K needs to develop the bench more!!

...What?? We won??

In fairness to some of the naysayers out there that made this claim, we did play the bench more this year, because we actually had reliable depth to do it. Just sayin'

NSDukeFan
04-15-2010, 08:27 AM
In fairness to some of the naysayers out there that made this claim, we did play the bench more this year, because we actually had reliable depth to do it. Just sayin'

In defense of the yaysayers, I believe our big 3 played more minutes this season than any other player in Duke history, or close to it, and it didn't seem to bother them much at the end of the year.

left_hook_lacey
04-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Some may disagree with me on this. But I just have a feeling that this kid stays for 2 years, maybe more depending on the situation. But I don't see him as a one and done player. I could be totally way off, but honestly, I would be suprised if he left after just one season unless, God forbid, UNC was to go all the way.

Out of all of the blue chip talent that Carolina has had, only two players come to mind that were one and dones. Marvin Williams, and Brandon Wright. I could be wrong about this(where's stat-boy when you need him?) but I think they are the only 2 players that have EVER left UNC after their freshman years. Marvin Williams left after winning the NC, Wright left after a very successful freshman campaign, and had said all along that he would probably be one and done. I'm justing saying, statistically, and from a personal standpoint, I just don't think Barnes will be one and done. Two and done....maybe.

And in an effort to keep this in the theme of being an Austin Rivers thread, I don't think he'll be one and done either, no matter where he ends up.

left_hook_lacey
04-15-2010, 08:53 AM
I believe our big 3 played more minutes this season than any other player in Duke history.

3 players will usually play more minutes than "any other PLAYER in Duke history":D

But seriously, I was thinking along the front court I guess. We were rotating RELIABLE bigs in and out this season like a revolving door. If someone was winded, in foul trouble, or injured, we had other foot soldiers ready to come in.

dukefan75
04-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Rutgers transfer SG Mike Rosario (ex McD's recruit) will be visiting UF. Eligible 2011-2012. Couple him (if he goes there obviously) with their other guard recruit Beal and the prospect for Rivers going to UF continues to diminish.

yancem
04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Rutgers transfer SG Mike Rosario (ex McD's recruit) will be visiting UF. Eligible 2011-2012. Couple him (if he goes there obviously) with their other guard recruit Beal and the prospect for Rivers going to UF continues to diminish.

As others have mentioned, I don't think that Rivers is going to be scared off by other talented guards. There aren't many players that will be able to keep him on the bench. Since he is looking to compete for a nc this might actually help UF's chances. The more talent they bring in the more relevant they become when discussing contenders which can only help them.

Also, remember that Duke may have a backcourt featuring Irving, Curry, Dawkins and Gbinije when Rivers enters college. That is a pretty formidable backcourt, certainly matching or exceeding anything UF will be able to put on the court.

m g
04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
In defense of the yaysayers, I believe our big 3 played more minutes this season than any other player in Duke history, or close to it, and it didn't seem to bother them much at the end of the year.

Close to it is right - the top 3 players on the 81-82 team (Vince Taylor, Chip Engelland, Tom Emma) averaged 36.81 minutes each - 2945 minutes in 80 games.

Next is this year's team - 36.06 minutes each for the top 3 (4255 minutes in 118 games).

Just behind is the 83-84 team. Dawkins, Amaker, and Alarie averaged 35.98 mpg between them (3670 minutes in 102 games).

(This is just under K.)

oldnavy
04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Close to it is right - the top 3 players on the 81-82 team (Vince Taylor, Chip Engelland, Tom Emma) averaged 36.81 minutes each - 2945 minutes in 80 games.

Next is this year's team - 36.06 minutes each for the top 3 (4255 minutes in 118 games).

Just behind is the 83-84 team. Dawkins, Amaker, and Alarie averaged 35.98 mpg between them (3670 minutes in 102 games).

(This is just under K.)

MPG is a good way to compare, but remember this team played 40 games this year vice, what 26 for Tom, Chip and Vince? That is a huge difference.

Stylez025
04-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I know Austin has expressed interest in coming to Duke's championship team banquet next week. Any news on whether Rivers is a confirmed guess on making it? I really wish Austin made the Duke demolition of UNC this year. The atmosphere was simply amazing! I don't want Rivers missing out on another big event that can help influence his decision.

Duke needs to take advantage of this championship and invite as many recruits as possible to big events.

DukeBlueNV
04-15-2010, 05:06 PM
do u have any links of austin sayin he wants to come... if u do that would be very much appreciated (and awesome)...

nyesq83
04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I believe that the short rest times between games and the effects of opposing team defenses during a season are the major factors of fatigue more than mere cumulative minutes.

Scheyer, Smith and Singler all lost their shooting touches at times in the second half of the season (and in the tournament as well), at least in part due to the quick turnarounds and tough, physical defenses.

I am hopeful young Mr. Rivers decides to come to Duke.

Stylez025
04-15-2010, 05:11 PM
do u have any links of austin sayin he wants to come... if u do that would be very much appreciated (and awesome)...

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=960730&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f960 730.html

Rivers: "I am really hoping I can get up to Duke for their team banquet"

It's a premium article that requires payment to site if you want to read the whole thing.

DukeBlueNV
04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Rivers: "I am really hoping I can get up to Duke for their team banquet"

It's a premium article that requires payment to site if you want to read the whole thing.

im not a primium member but i guess i have to take ur word for it... i trust ya! thanks...

blueduke59
04-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Out of all of the blue chip talent that Carolina has had, only two players come to mind that were one and done
'
Bob McAdoo. It must be mentioned that he came from a juco to UNC. Played on the '72 team that lost to FSU in the national semis. Quite a few people (me included) thought UNC would have taken out UCLA in the finals. UCLA defeated FSU by 5 points

Bluedevil114
04-18-2010, 01:47 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/963341.html

Rosario to the Gators pretty much tells Austin it has been nice but we need to move on.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Down to Unc and Duke then huh? I don't know how excited I am about that. But i hope he choose the right shade of Blue.

superdave
04-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Down to Unc and Duke then huh? I don't know how excited I am about that. But i hope he choose the right shade of Blue.

Any visits scheduled or being discussed?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Rosario to the Gators pretty much tells Austin it has been nice but we need to move on.

Idk I think he going to at least visit Duke this summer

NSDukeFan
04-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Or, does it tell Austin we are going to be competitive and have more talent than we have lately, similar to that other school you have been looking at.

Jderf
04-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Or, does it tell Austin we are going to be competitive and have more talent than we have lately, similar to that other school you have been looking at.

Ah, this is the great thing about recruiting speculation. Every little tidbit could be interpreted in multiple ways, allowing ample opportunities for both the pessimists and the optimists to voice their opinions. Personally, I don't think it tells Rivers anything except that Florida just got another transfer. Anything else that anyone could read into the situation is entirely up to him to decide.

RoyalBlue08
04-18-2010, 11:42 PM
There is nothing like another National Championship to make following these recruiting battles so much less stressful. From what I've seen of Rivers play, I hope he comes to Duke. He seems like he has the chance to be a real star. But I am not nearly as worried that he might choose UNC as I was with HB (or he who shall not be named I guess). Either way, we will have great players and the best coach in the game. Every day is blue skies!

Big Pappa
04-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Every day is blue skies!

Duke Blue skies to be precise!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Duke Blue skies to be precise!

I just wanted to say this......You're my favorite poster hahaha

Bluedevil114
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Wow if I was Austin seeing a guy that is pretty much guaranteed to go in the first round with a pending lockout a year later decide to come back for his senior year after winning a National Championship...........I would say to myself this must be a great place to play and the Coach must be unbelievable. I guess I should stop all this nonsense and sign up for all the fun!!

Go Duke!!

airowe
04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Wow if I was Austin seeing a guy that is pretty much guaranteed to go in the first round with a pending lockout a year later decide to come back for his senior year after winning a National Championship...........I would say to myself this must be a great place to play and the Coach must be unbelievable. I guess I should stop all this nonsense and sign up for all the fun!!

Go Duke!!

:cool:

ACCBBallFan
04-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Great teammates regardless which leads to daily improvement in practice at any of the top 3 schools on his list.

What Duke offers that UNC and UF do not is a great PG which would allow Austin to play off the ball more, as well as potential two time repeat champions (conceiveably a three-peat) before he makes his decision.

So Nolan graduates and Austin slides into his role sharing 1-2-3 with Kyrie, Seth, Dre and Austin each playing 20-25 MPG, unless Thornton and Felix earn some off those minutes as they improve, and as blowouts occur.

-bdbd
04-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Great teammates regardless which leads to daily improvement in practice at any of the top 3 schools on his list.

What Duke offers that UNC and UF do not is a great PG which would allow Austin to play off the ball more, as well as potential two time repeat champions (conceiveably a three-peat) before he makes his decision...

Three great arguments that I'm sure Austin and Doc will hear from K and staff frequently. Given that the kid is a LOCK to play pro ball anyway, I see the opportunity to play against great competitioin daily and improve under the coaching of one of the great PG-producing icons of this college era.... and throw in the NC opportunity (and exposure) and that's really hard to beat.

Saratoga2
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Nolan and Kyle leave for certain while Mason is a possible as is Irving and Curry. Since Nolan and Kyle will free up at least 60 minutes of playing time between them we could definitely use Austin as a shooting guard with a great handle.

Since we have a 6'6" recruit on the way, the only other need we have is for a true center. It would be great to get 3 qquality players for the 2011/2012 season.

Memphis Devil
04-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Nolan and Kyle leave for certain while Mason is a possible as is Irving and Curry. Since Nolan and Kyle will free up at least 60 minutes of playing time between them we could definitely use Austin as a shooting guard with a great handle.

Since we have a 6'6" recruit on the way, the only other need we have is for a true center. It would be great to get 3 qquality players for the 2011/2012 season.

While I don't know the level of interest on either side, I would guess that a commitment from Marshall Plumlee might just guarantee that Mason returns for his junior season. This would probably represent the last time the brothers would be able to play organized basketball on the same team as it is unlikely that they end up on the same professional squad.

roywhite
04-20-2010, 10:21 AM

I'm seeing some mention that Austin may visit this week and attend the team banquet.

Talk about some positive momentum in our program. :D

flyingdutchdevil
04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm seeing some mention that Austin may visit this week and attend the team banquet.

Talk about some positive momentum in our program. :D

Not just our program but our school as well. This year, Duke had the lowest acceptance rate it's ever. Let's hope that comes with the highest percentage of students choosing Duke!

Huh?
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM

What Duke offers that UNC and UF do not is a great PG which would allow Austin to play off the ball more, as well as potential two time repeat champions (conceiveably a three-peat) before he makes his decision.

So Nolan graduates and Austin slides into his role sharing 1-2-3 with Kyrie, Seth, Dre and Austin each playing 20-25 MPG, unless Thornton and Felix earn some off those minutes as they improve, and as blowouts occur.

Rivers wants to eventually be a 1, so one year along Irving, then a year running the point after KI's departure....I think he could deal with that.

Bluedevil114
04-20-2010, 10:58 AM

I do not see Kyrie leaving after one year if Austin commits to Duke. Part of the intrigue of Austin coming to Duke is to play with his good friend Kyrie along with a chance together to win a National championship. Curry IMHO will also be here at least two more seasons. Much like his brother leaving for the NBA after 3 years I think Seth will play college three years if not four. Austin is not coming here if Kyrie is not telling him that he willl still be here to play together. Much like the reason Nolan did not consider throwing his name in for the draft because he wants to play with Kyrie and Seth this season.

rotogod00
04-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I do not see Kyrie leaving after one year if Austin commits to Duke. Part of the intrigue of Austin coming to Duke is to play with his good friend Kyrie along with a chance together to win a National championship. Curry IMHO will also be here at least two more seasons. Much like his brother leaving for the NBA after 3 years I think Seth will play college three years if not four. Austin is not coming here if Kyrie is not telling him that he willl still be here to play together. Much like the reason Nolan did not consider throwing his name in for the draft because he wants to play with Kyrie and Seth this season.

kyrie can tell austin whatever he wants to hear right now, but if he's gonna be a top 5 pick in next year's draft, that's gonna be tough to turn down. and rivers would have to understand that, as he may be in the same position the following year.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-20-2010, 11:10 AM
kyrie can tell austin whatever he wants to hear right now, but if he's gonna be a top 5 pick in next year's draft, that's gonna be tough to turn down. and rivers would have to understand that, as he may be in the same position the following year.
True, but they could also decide to follow Kyle's example and stay a year (or two) longer than they HAVE TO. Don't know Kyrie's family's situation, but for Austin needing money QUICKLY won't be an issue.

Channing
04-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Thats a pretty bold statement - do you have anything to back it up?

rotogod00
04-20-2010, 11:11 AM
True, but they could also decide to follow Kyle's example and stay a year (or two) longer than they HAVE TO. Don't know Kyrie's family's situation, but for Austin needing money QUICKLY won't be an issue.

kyle was never a top 5 draft pick. if he were a lottery pick this year, he'd be gone in my opinion.

flyingdutchdevil
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM

After the coaching job Rivers has done this year, I wouldn't be too sure about that ;)

JohnGalt
04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
kyle was never a top 5 draft pick. if he were a lottery pick this year, he'd be gone in my opinion.

Coming out of high school he would have been darn close..

Kedsy
04-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Nolan and Kyle leave for certain while Mason is a possible as is Irving and Curry.

It's certainly possible that some of our talented underclassmen will decide to leave after the 2010-11 season, but if the lockout still looks likely a year from now, if they're at all on the fence it would make sense to come back to college for the 2011-12 season. Why leave just to sit around during a labor dispute? If they're not going to get paid anyway (during the lockout) they might as well work on their game at Duke.

El_Diablo
04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
I know Austin has expressed interest in coming to Duke's championship team banquet next week. Any news on whether Rivers is a confirmed guess on making it? I really wish Austin made the Duke demolition of UNC this year. The atmosphere was simply amazing! I don't want Rivers missing out on another big event that can help influence his decision.

Duke needs to take advantage of this championship and invite as many recruits as possible to big events.

Rivers will be attending the banquet:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=963894&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f963 894.html

rotogod00
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Rivers will be attending the banquet:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=963894&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f963 894.html

is it a common occurrence for a recruit to attend the banquet?

roywhite
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
is it a common occurrence for a recruit to attend the banquet?

Jerry Stackhouse went to at least 2 Duke banquets.

No, don't think it's common.

WiJoe
04-20-2010, 06:44 PM

You're kidding about this, right?

:eek:

yancem
04-20-2010, 06:52 PM
It's certainly possible that some of our talented underclassmen will decide to leave after the 2010-11 season, but if the lockout still looks likely a year from now, if they're at all on the fence it would make sense to come back to college for the 2011-12 season. Why leave just to sit around during a labor dispute? If they're not going to get paid anyway (during the lockout) they might as well work on their game at Duke.

Your post just made me think of the possibilities for the '12 season. If a drawn out lockout is probable there may be few to no early defections after next season which could make for the best and most competitive college basketball season in years.

roywhite
04-20-2010, 06:53 PM
You're kidding about this, right?

:eek:

No, Jerry Stackhouse and Duke had a pretty strong mutual interest. Stackhouse emerged early as a major talent, and played at Kinston High School. He was at a number of Duke games, and I believe Coach K had him in the locker room. By the time he was a high school senior, Stackhouse turned toward the Heels, but Duke was definitely involved (and perhaps favored) during a good part of his recruitment.

Kedsy
04-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Your post just made me think of the possibilities for the '12 season. If a drawn out lockout is probable there may be few to no early defections after next season which could make for the best and most competitive college basketball season in years.

I have been thinking much the same thing. It could be an exciting year in college hoops. (Although less so, if they go forward with the idiotic 96 team tournament idea.)

SupaDave
04-20-2010, 09:48 PM
No, Jerry Stackhouse and Duke had a pretty strong mutual interest. Stackhouse emerged early as a major talent, and played at Kinston High School. He was at a number of Duke games, and I believe Coach K had him in the locker room. By the time he was a high school senior, Stackhouse turned toward the Heels, but Duke was definitely involved (and perhaps favored) during a good part of his recruitment.

Stack has very strong Durham roots. Hence the NC Pro-Am at NCCU which is run by him and his best friend.

DukeBlueNV
04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/the-latest-on-duke-prospect-austin-rivers/

not a premium member so didnt get to read the whole thing but two things i thought were interesting from what i could read...

1)he says unc and duke are "the only schools im kinda interested in" does that mean florida is out... thats news to me

2)he says roy called him and he decided, "why not, that place is historic so I decided to look at them and maybe go and visit."

sound like he is a duke lean right now... doubt he is anywhere close to commiting though. hopefully K rolls out the red carpet for him thurs and we really get his intrest to a peak which makes us the team to beat for his services (i suspect we allready are).

Duvall
04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
2)he says roy called him and he decided, "why not, that place is historic"

And it seems like just yesterday they were Team of the Decade. Sic transit gloria mundi.

airowe
04-20-2010, 11:17 PM

No, don't think it's common.

Sean May used to go just for the meal and then take off. :cool:

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Sean May used to go just for the meal and then take off. :cool:

haha now that's funny

ricks68
04-21-2010, 02:25 AM
[QUOTE=DukeBlueNV;400479]http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/the-latest-on-duke-prospect-austin-rivers/

2)he says roy called him and he decided, "why not, that place is historic so I decided to look at them and maybe go and visit."

I gotta tell ya, I had never gone over to the dark side and visited the "Old Well" in all the years since I entered Duke in the fall of 1964. Well (pun intended), I finally took a visit in February when I came for the Va Tech game. It's a freakin' old water fountain!!! A water fountain!! What is so historic about an old worn out water fountain????:confused:

And what is more astounding to me is that no one has ever mentioned that from any Duke perspective that I am aware of.

Maybe "the old water fountain" is somehow tied into the Helms trophy. Could that be it?:rolleyes:

ricks

(I apologize for the exclamation points, but I really couldn't help it.:p)

amazinballer323
04-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Is it me or is Rivers surprisingly explosive?

Or maybe surprisingly isn't the right word, but watching him play he seems so crisp making pure good basketball plays with pure skills, and then bam he dunks on somebody from the highlights and games I've watched.

Greg_Newton
04-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Some new highlights... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nk5iuZf9T4

He's still pretty good at playing basketball.

JasonEvans
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Coming out of high school he (Kyle) would have been darn close (to being a lottery pick).

Not likely. Kyle was the #5 or #6 recruit in the class. Tough to translate that into lottery status overnight. Worth noting that some kids are highly ranked coming out of high school but do not have the kind of athleticism or physical makeup (size especially) that translates well to the NBA. I can imagine Kyle falling into that group and his NBA stock not being all that high coming out of high school.

-Jason "wait, is this is a thread about Rivers... oops!" Evans

JasonEvans
04-21-2010, 11:08 AM
So, I had to share a funny story with all ya'll.

A Duke-loving friend called me yesterday to check on a rumor he heard. He said another Duke buddy had told him that Rivers would be on campus and giving Duke a "silent verbal" this week. My friend wanted to see if I had heard anything.

I said to him -- "Yes, the talk is that Rivers will attend the team banquet. But are you saying that it is a sure-thing that he will give Duke a silent verbal?"

"Yup, that is what I heard," he said.

I pondered for a moment and said, "Who would have this information? Is a promise of a silent verbal any different than a silent verbal itself? The Duke coaches would not know in advance that Rivers would give a silent verbal, would they? Is Rivers telling people he is going to give a silent verbal? What is a silent verbal worth, anyway?"

My friend was quiet for a moment and then said, "uhhh, yeah. It sounds funny to me too. Nevermind."

I impart this story as a way of heading off what will probably be a flurry of rumors and questions about Rivers and Duke after the banquet. The kid will make his announcement when he is ready, probably in the fall. And any rumor you hear-- take a moment to think about how it could possibly be true.

--Jason "recruiting... ain't it fun?!?!" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
04-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I read somewhere that Rivers wanted to commit before the start of his senior year. Can someone confirm or deny this? Why do I think that?

mkline09
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Is a silent verbal really silent if people are talking about it?

I agree that it is all silly and speculative to talk about anything until it comes straight from the kids own mouth to the rest of the general public.

JohnGalt
04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Not likely. Kyle was the #5 or #6 recruit in the class. Tough to translate that into lottery status overnight. Worth noting that some kids are highly ranked coming out of high school but do not have the kind of athleticism or physical makeup (size especially) that translates well to the NBA. I can imagine Kyle falling into that group and his NBA stock not being all that high coming out of high school.

-Jason "wait, is this is a thread about Rivers... oops!" Evans

...which is why I said: "darn close"

Actually, one of the biggest compliments of Singler coming out of high school was his NBA ready form, how he had already developed a number of ways to score and could defend and play multiple positions. Regardless, I digress.

Does anyone know when we can expect the next addition to Austin's diary? Or - what I'm really going after - an announcement as to when he'll decide? I seem to remember reading he would decide before the beginning of his senior basketball season. Is that still the case?

Class of '94
04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
So, I had to share a funny story with all ya'll.

A Duke-loving friend called me yesterday to check on a rumor he heard. He said another Duke buddy had told him that Rivers would be on campus and giving Duke a "silent verbal" this week. My friend wanted to see if I had heard anything.

I said to him -- "Yes, the talk is that Rivers will attend the team banquet. But are you saying that it is a sure-thing that he will give Duke a silent verbal?"

"Yup, that is what I heard," he said.

I pondered for a moment and said, "Who would have this information? Is a promise of a silent verbal any different than a silent verbal itself? The Duke coaches would not know in advance that Rivers would give a silent verbal, would they? Is Rivers telling people he is going to give a silent verbal? What is a silent verbal worth, anyway?"

My friend was quiet for a moment and then said, "uhhh, yeah. It sounds funny to me too. Nevermind."

I impart this story as a way of heading off what will probably be a flurry of rumors and questions about Rivers and Duke after the banquet. The kid will make his announcement when he is ready, probably in the fall. And any rumor you hear-- take a moment to think about how it could possibly be true.

--Jason "recruiting... ain't it fun?!?!" Evans

Great point about rumors. Saying that, I would like to point out the situation with Kyrie's recruitment. I could be wrong but I thought I remembered hearing that Kyrie gave a "silent" verbal to Coach K and the staff when he came to Duke for his Official visit. I used the term silent because he didn't want anyone to say anything until he visited Kentucky out of respect for Rod Strickland. If this was true, then Austin could potentially do the same thing in which he could commit to the staff but asked that they keep it quiet until he is ready to officially announce it. Again, I'm not trying to encourage the spread of rampant rumors; but rather, I wanted to try and give my take on the "silent" verbal concept. The bottom line, though, is that until Austin makes his commitment official to whichever school he decides and signs a letter of intent, anything can happen.

soccerstud2210
04-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Great point about rumors. Saying that, I would like to point out the situation with Kyrie's recruitment. I could be wrong but I thought I remembered hearing that Kyrie gave a "silent" verbal to Coach K and the staff when he came to Duke for his Official visit. I used the term silent because he didn't want anyone to say anything until he visited Kentucky out of respect for Rod Strickland. If this was true, then Austin could potentially do the same thing in which he could commit to the staff but asked that they keep it quiet until he is ready to officially announce it. Again, I'm not trying to encourage the spread of rampant rumors; but rather, I wanted to try and give my take on the "silent" verbal concept. The bottom line, though, is that until Austin makes his commitment official to whichever school he decides and signs a letter of intent, anything can happen.

isn't this what HB did with UNC when roy when to visit him?

Nugget
04-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Not to completely side-track the thread, but I think the proposition that Kyle would have been "darn-close" to being a top 10 pick coming out of HS is, to put it mildly, absurd.

First of all, he wasn't eligible for the draft coming of out of HS -- his class was among those who had to wait at least a year.

And, looking at the first draft he could have been in (2008), I think he would have barely cracked the first round, unlikely to have been taken anywhere before #29, if that.

Here's the order of that draft. Where does one realistically see Kyle (at the time a 6-8 PF, who had not shown any SF skills, other than being a decent outside shooter) going in this draft? I can't see how he would have gone before Donte Greene.

2008 NBA Draft
1. Derrick Rose (Fr- same class as Kyle)
2. Michael Beasley (same class as Kyle)
3. OJ Mayo (same class as Kyle)
4. Russell Westbrook, So
5. Kevin Love, Fr (same class as Kyle)
6. Danilo Gallinari
7. Eric Gordon (same class as Kyle)
8. Joe Alexander
9. DJ Augustin
10. Brook Lopez
11. Jerryd Bayless, Fr (same class as Kyle)
12. Jason Thompson 6-10 PF Rider
13. Brandon Rush
14. Anthony Randolph, Fr (same class as Kyle)
15. Robin Lopez
16. Marreese Speights
17. Roy Hibbert
18. JaVale McGee 7-0 C Nevada
19. JJ Hickson (same class as Kyle)
20. Alexis Ajinca 7-0 PF/C France
21. Ryan Anderson
22. Courtney Lee
23. Kosta Koufos 7-0 C Ohio St., Fr. (same class as Kyle)
24. Serge Ibaka
25. Nicolas Batum
26. George Hill
27. Darrell Arthur
28. Donte Greene 6-9 SF Syr. Fr. (same class as Kyle)
29. Detroit DJ White
30. Boston JR Giddens.

And, just for fun, assume Kyle had been eligible out of HS and gone in the 2007 NBA draft?

Who in the top 20 could be realistically been taken before?

2007 NBA Draft:
1. Greg Oden
2. Kevin Durant
3. Al Horford
4. Mike Conley
5. Jeff Green
6. Yi Jianlian
7. Corey Brewer
8. Brandan Wright
9. Joakim Noah
10. Spencer Hawes
11. Acie Law
12. Thaddeus Young
13. Julian Wright
14. Al Thornton
15. Rodney Stuckey
16. Nick Young
17. Sean Williams
18. Marco Belinelli
19. Javaris Crittenton
20. Jason Smith 7-0 PF Colorado St.
21. Daequan Cook
22. Jared Dudley
23. Wilson Chandler 6-7 SF DePaul
24. Rudy Fernandez
25. Morris Almond 6-6 SG Rice
26. Aaron Brooks
27. Arron Afflalo
28. Tiago Splitter 6-11 PF Brazil
29. Alando Tucker
30. Petteri Koponen 6-4 PG Finland.

Admittedly, that draft got a little odd in the last 5-8 picks of the first round (Jared Dudley at 22 and Alando Tucker at 29, for example). But, I find it noteworthy to look at some of the guys who slipped into the 2nd round that I find it hard to believe Kyle would have gone ahead of coming out of HS, such as Marcus Williams (#33), Nick Fazekas (#34), Big Baby Davis (335), Jermareo Davidson (#36) and Duke's own Josh McRoberts (#37).

CDu
04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Coming out of high school he would have been darn close..

Actually, I doubt it. In the 2007 draft, the following college guys would have certainly gone ahead of Singler:

Oden
Durant
Horford
Conley
Jianlian

And from his high school class alone, the following guys would have been drafted ahead of him:
Mayo
Love
Gordon
Beasley

So that's, at least, nine guys going ahead of Singler. And that doesn't include guys like Bayless, Patterson, Hawes, Noah, Law, Rose, Thornton, Young, Wright, and others who may very well have gone ahead of him as well.

I don't know exactly where Singler would have gone, but I would be very surprised if he would have been a lottery pick had he been allowed to go straight from high school.

chrisheery
04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Actually, I doubt it. In the 2007 draft, the following college guys would have certainly gone ahead of Singler:

Oden
Durant
Horford
Conley
Jianlian

And from his high school class alone, the following guys would have been drafted ahead of him:
Mayo
Love
Gordon
Beasley

So that's, at least, nine guys going ahead of Singler. And that doesn't include guys like Bayless, Patterson, Hawes, Noah, Law, Rose, Thornton, Young, Wright, and others who may very well have gone ahead of him as well.

I don't know exactly where Singler would have gone, but I would be very surprised if he would have been a lottery pick had he been allowed to go straight from high school.

Conley has proven to be not that good, but we can't change what people thought of him then. This is actually a case where the rankings were appropriate for college. He was a top 5-10 player in that class for college, but he was not likely NBA ready at that time. Those guys in his class are more custom made for the NBA. However, as I have stated in the past, that is because the NBA is dumb and cares more about highlights than wins/good basketball.

airowe
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM
http://www.google.com/mapdata?CxUR180BHSuPLPog____________AQwtEdfNATUrjy z6QI4CSLkBUgJVU5ABB8oBAmVu

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/images/060918-rivers-photos_big.jpg

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-21-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.google.com/mapdata?CxUR180BHSuPLPog____________AQwtEdfNATUrjy z6QI4CSLkBUgJVU5ABB8oBAmVu

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/images/060918-rivers-photos_big.jpg

make this a sign

ricks68
04-22-2010, 12:38 AM
make this a sign

If any place where I live in Texas (let alone the Hill Country, which includes Austin) looked like this, I wouldn't be trying so hard to find a home in Asheville.:rolleyes:

ricks

Vasherized
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Hot off the (word)press.

Our guess is attending the banquet this weekend will speed up the timetable for River's inevitable commitment to Duke.

It's just a matter of time... (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/04/22/weekly-whispers-4222010/)

pfrduke
04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Hot off the (word)press.

Our guess is attending the banquet this weekend will speed up the timetable for River's inevitable commitment to Duke.

It's just a matter of time... (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/04/22/weekly-whispers-4222010/)

Key words highlighted.

Class of '94
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Hot off the (word)press.

Thank-you Vasherized for sending us your insight and what you've heard; please keep them coming. I know there are a lot of people who are still stung by the HB choice of UNC when it supposedly appeared like we had him; but that's life. You move on and go to the next play. FWIW, I do think the Rivers situation is different from HB and I see more promising signs from Austin possbily choosing Duke than we did from HB at this point in the recruiting process. We have the recruiting momentum that began during the season and is now backed by a NC; and I honestly don't believe Ol Roy or anyone else can talk him out of choosing Duke. Saying that, if Austin decided to go somewhere, so be it....we move on because we'd still have a great program, a great coach, and a great team.

Vasherized
04-22-2010, 04:12 PM
pfr,

maybe a better word choice would have been ... "Our prescient wisdom ordains that Rivers shall become a Blue Devil"?

Perhaps you like your recruiting nuggets in a more formal Victorian style?

We're open to any and all input.

class of '94.

You're welcome. We'll continue to report these intentionally vague recruiting mysteries as they unfold. :)

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Not to completely side-track the thread, but I think the proposition that Kyle would have been "darn-close" to being a top 10 pick coming out of HS is, to put it mildly, absurd.

First of all, he wasn't eligible for the draft coming of out of HS -- his class was among those who had to wait at least a year.

And, looking at the first draft he could have been in (2008), I think he would have barely cracked the first round, unlikely to have been taken anywhere before #29, if that.

Here's the order of that draft. Where does one realistically see Kyle (at the time a 6-8 PF, who had not shown any SF skills, other than being a decent outside shooter) going in this draft? I can't see how he would have gone before Donte Greene.

2008 NBA Draft
1. Derrick Rose (Fr- same class as Kyle)
2. Michael Beasley (same class as Kyle)
3. OJ Mayo (same class as Kyle)
4. Russell Westbrook, So
5. Kevin Love, Fr (same class as Kyle)
6. Danilo Gallinari
7. Eric Gordon (same class as Kyle)
8. Joe Alexander
9. DJ Augustin
10. Brook Lopez
11. Jerryd Bayless, Fr (same class as Kyle)
12. Jason Thompson 6-10 PF Rider
13. Brandon Rush
14. Anthony Randolph, Fr (same class as Kyle)
15. Robin Lopez
16. Marreese Speights
17. Roy Hibbert
18. JaVale McGee 7-0 C Nevada
19. JJ Hickson (same class as Kyle)
20. Alexis Ajinca 7-0 PF/C France
21. Ryan Anderson
22. Courtney Lee
23. Kosta Koufos 7-0 C Ohio St., Fr. (same class as Kyle)
24. Serge Ibaka
25. Nicolas Batum
26. George Hill
27. Darrell Arthur
28. Donte Greene 6-9 SF Syr. Fr. (same class as Kyle)
29. Detroit DJ White
30. Boston JR Giddens.

And, just for fun, assume Kyle had been eligible out of HS and gone in the 2007 NBA draft?

Who in the top 20 could be realistically been taken before?

2007 NBA Draft:
1. Greg Oden
2. Kevin Durant
3. Al Horford
4. Mike Conley
5. Jeff Green
6. Yi Jianlian
7. Corey Brewer
8. Brandan Wright
9. Joakim Noah
10. Spencer Hawes
11. Acie Law
12. Thaddeus Young
13. Julian Wright
14. Al Thornton
15. Rodney Stuckey
16. Nick Young
17. Sean Williams
18. Marco Belinelli
19. Javaris Crittenton
20. Jason Smith 7-0 PF Colorado St.
21. Daequan Cook
22. Jared Dudley
23. Wilson Chandler 6-7 SF DePaul
24. Rudy Fernandez
25. Morris Almond 6-6 SG Rice
26. Aaron Brooks
27. Arron Afflalo
28. Tiago Splitter 6-11 PF Brazil
29. Alando Tucker
30. Petteri Koponen 6-4 PG Finland.

Admittedly, that draft got a little odd in the last 5-8 picks of the first round (Jared Dudley at 22 and Alando Tucker at 29, for example). But, I find it noteworthy to look at some of the guys who slipped into the 2nd round that I find it hard to believe Kyle would have gone ahead of coming out of HS, such as Marcus Williams (#33), Nick Fazekas (#34), Big Baby Davis (335), Jermareo Davidson (#36) and Duke's own Josh McRoberts (#37).

While I generally agree that he wouldn't have been a high pick coming out of HS, I do know from a very good source that Portland really liked him in 2008. I heard they would have seriously considered him at their 13th pick that year. Had he come out his game would have been picked apart more, etc so maybe they would have soured on him but I know that at least one team would have given him a serious lottery look. Would they have drafted him, who knows but it was possible.

Tim1515
04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
One of the reasons the NBA 1 year rule was put into place was due to it being extremely difficult to judge high school talent. Before Kyle stepped foot on campus i heard people comparing him to Larry Bird.

In high school Kyle was more athletic then most of the players he went against. The players who could match him athletically or exceeded his ability didn't have near the basketball IQ so he could take over games.

Even though Singler had a very good freshman year at Duke...you could tell that he didn't jump overly well, he wasn't fast in the open court and he didn't have an extremely quick first step making it hard for him to create his own shot.

Kyle was and is a gamer but after seeing him play against college players the NBA quickly felt his potential was limited.

It isn't like K held him back...he just looked more like an NBA player in high school against those kids.

airowe
04-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Even though Singler had a very good freshman year at Duke...you could tell that he didn't jump overly well, he wasn't fast in the open court and he didn't have an extremely quick first step making it hard for him to create his own shot.

Maybe because he put on 20 pounds and was playing PF?

sagegrouse
04-22-2010, 05:05 PM
One of the reasons the NBA 1 year rule was put into place was due to it being extremely difficult to judge high school talent. Before Kyle stepped foot on campus i heard people comparing him to Larry Bird.

Not true IMHO (where the H is often silent). It was the outcome of a collective bargaining agreement where the union argued for no restrictions. The league has always wanted to get rid of unproductive teenagers sitting on the bench. No, I do not truly understand why the union has taken that position -- just ornery, I guess.

In high school Kyle was more athletic then most of the players he went against. The players who could match him athletically or exceeded his ability didn't have near the basketball IQ so he could take over games.

Kyle was and is a gamer but after seeing him play against college players the NBA quickly felt his potential was limited.

It isn't like K held him back...he just looked more like an NBA player in high school against those kids.

I really can't disagree more with your observations. Kyle was the quickest jumper under the basket against everyone Duke played in the tournament, and that quickness requires not only reflexes but twitchy muscles. He has great body control and a very good touch for difficult and contorted shots. He looked pretty darn athletic to me, although I would not go so far as to say, "amazingly athletic," but only because Doug Gottlieb has a copyright on a closely related term. :rolleyes:

He was also asked to guard very quick players, and I couldn't see that he had a problem with Lacedarius or JaJuan or Heyward, who was a very difficult assignment for everyone else in the tournament.

sagegrouse

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-22-2010, 08:59 PM
So is florida officially out?

Newton_14
04-22-2010, 09:38 PM
pfr,

maybe a better word choice would have been ... "Our prescient wisdom ordains that Rivers shall become a Blue Devil"?

class of '94.

You're welcome. We'll continue to report these intentionally vague recruiting mysteries as they unfold. :)

I am going to step out on faith and give you and your site the benefit of the doubt on this one. Call it "your chance to impress us" and earn some credibility. You have said from the start Austin to Duke is pretty much a done deal. You have not wavered on it, I will give you that.

So come August or so we will likely see if you are right. FWIW, I am pulling for you to be correct on this.

pfrduke
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
pfr,

class of '94.

I am going to step out on faith and give you and your site the benefit of the doubt on this one. Call it "your chance to impress us" and earn some credibility. You have said from the start Austin to Duke is pretty much a done deal. You have not wavered on it, I will give you that.

So come August or so we will likely see if you are right. FWIW, I am pulling for you to be correct on this.

Look, I'm not trying to be overly critical, but look at the entry on the March to March site. It contains one single fact: Austin is attending the banquet. Several people have posted that here. The rest is pure speculation and supposition - "we think" Rivers will decide earlier (a thought justified by "his experiences at the banquet," experiences that at the time the blog post was made had not yet taken place). That's mirrored in the post here: "our guess" is that Rivers comes here. It's pure speculation based on a known fact. You'll have to excuse me if I don't give it a lot of weight

I, like Boozer, am quite obviously pulling for Austin to come to Duke. Should he do so, however, it does not mean that Vasherized is any more credible a source than I would be if I just randomly said "I think he's going to come to Duke." And my statement - which I can guarantee you has absolutely no informed basis in fact - is just as well supported as the statement linked to on the blog. Taking a publicly known fact and offering thoughts and guesses on what that fact might mean does not make one an authority or an informed source on recruiting issues.

Spam Filter
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I, like Boozer, am quite obviously pulling for Austin to come to Duke. Should he do so, however, it does not mean that Vasherized is any more credible a source than I would be if I just randomly said "I think he's going to come to Duke." And my statement - which I can guarantee you has absolutely no informed basis in fact - is just as well supported as the statement linked to on the blog. Taking a publicly known fact and offering thoughts and guesses on what that fact might mean does not make one an authority or an informed source on recruiting issues.

But you didn't say it, and he did. Which means he was willing to put his reputation and credibility on the line, and you're not.

If he turns out to be right, then he earns credibility. That's how the whole credibility thing works.

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM
But you didn't say it, and he did. Which means he was willing to put his reputation and credibility on the line, and you're not.

If he turns out to be right, then he earns credibility. That's how the whole credibility thing works.

Let's see how he's doing...

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/04/14/weekly-whispers-4142010/#more-942

Bob Green
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM

On DBR, pfrduke has tons of credibility. He has earned it via many, many, many well thought out intelligent posts. The man knows hoops.

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Seems like he is doing pretty well. In the statements where he says he is pretty sure, he was right. In the Ray McCallum situation, he seemed to hedge. In none of those other situations was he as definitive as he has been about AR to Duke. As has been stated, I can't trust him yet, but if he is right about this, I will next time. That is how trust is earned. You gotta like his moxie.

(all of these his's could be her's)

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 11:49 PM
On DBR, pfrduke has tons of credibility. He has earned it via many, many, many well thought out intelligent posts. The man knows hoops.

I don't think he was questioning pfrduke's credibility, only pointing out that Vash is putting this out there unequivocally and if he proves to be right, he will have been the only person (on this board) that is saying what he is saying. Because of that, he deserves some credit if he proves to be right and perhaps a higher level of trust in the next similar scenario.

Spam Filter
04-22-2010, 11:52 PM

Yes, but we're talking about recruiting knowledge, not general basketball knowledge.

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't think he was questioning pfrduke's credibility, only pointing out that Vash is putting this out there unequivocally and if he proves to be right, he will have been the only person (on this board) that is saying what he is saying. Because of that, he deserves some credit if he proves to be right and perhaps a higher level of trust in the next similar scenario.

I read a lot of posts. Lots of posters are saying what he's saying. Airowe in particular seems to be quite in tune with some of the undercurrent.

Bob Green
04-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't think he was questioning pfrduke's credibility.....

You very well may be right and I wrong, but I intrepreted the post as a challenge. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

Bob Green
04-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Yes, but we're talking about recruiting knowledge, not general basketball knowledge.

Recruiting knowledge is a slippery slope at best. Does anyone really know what these young men are thinking?

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
I read a lot of posts. Lots of posters are saying what he's saying. Airowe in particular seems to be quite in tune with some of the undercurrent.

Saying what he is saying in a veiled or hopeful way is one thing. Doing what he is doing, which is putting his name on the line and not hedging whatsoever is a completely different thing. You even pointed out that Airowe is "in tune with some of the undercurrent." Therein lies the difference. Undercurrent versus outright statement of opinion based on what he says is fact (the source of which he cannot reveal). I challenge you to find one post that is as absolute in the statement that Austin Rivers will attend Duke as Vash has said. I am not in favor or against what he is doing, just trying to make sure what he is doing is judged fairly. How else will a guy ever make a reputation for himself as a recruiting guru with tremendous connections (which he says he cannot divulge) if he doesn't do this? Not sure what all the contempt for his posts is about, but like I said, I'll reserve judgement until we see what happens. I also will ignore the desire to believe him because there were people saying things like this about HB and that sucked.

Spam Filter
04-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Recruiting knowledge is a slippery slope at best. Does anyone really know what these young men are thinking?

I don't know if any one knows, but if some one claims to know, makes a prediction, and turns out to be right, then I'm more inclined to believe that he might know than before those events took place.

SupaDave
04-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't know if any one knows, but if some one claims to know, makes a prediction, and turns out to be right, then I'm more inclined to believe that he might know than before those events took place.

Sounds like a jedi mind trick to me...

El_Diablo
04-23-2010, 12:19 AM

He's doing guesswork based on what he sees. Some hits, some misses. But that's what it's like to cover basketball recruiting. If sharing his best guesses means he's credible, then he's credible. If "not actively spreading lies" means he's credible, then he's credible.

Maybe he has an inside source regarding the Rivers recruitment...or maybe he's just speculating based on public information. I haven't seen anything to suggest the former over the latter, but until that happens I'll just remain hopeful that his "prescient wisdom" on Rivers turns out more like his BK wisdom than his Lamb wisdom.

SupaDave
04-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Saying what he is saying in a veiled or hopeful way is one thing. Doing what he is doing, which is putting his name on the line and not hedging whatsoever is a completely different thing. You even pointed out that Airowe is "in tune with some of the undercurrent." Therein lies the difference. Undercurrent versus outright statement of opinion based on what he says is fact (the source of which he cannot reveal). I challenge you to find one post that is as absolute in the statement that Austin Rivers will attend Duke as Vash has said. I am not in favor or against what he is doing, just trying to make sure what he is doing is judged fairly. How else will a guy ever make a reputation for himself as a recruiting guru with tremendous connections (which he says he cannot divulge) if he doesn't do this? Not sure what all the contempt for his posts is about, but like I said, I'll reserve judgement until we see what happens. I also will ignore the desire to believe him because there were people saying things like this about HB and that sucked.

I understand your passion but you're forgetting one tiny little detail. Ballerjunkie is ANONYMOUS. Seth Davis, Chad Ford, Jim Sumner, Jason Evans, Mark Watson, Jason Hickman and a few others all have something very noticeable in common...

Mike Corey
04-23-2010, 12:51 AM
1) He's not putting his name on the line, he's putting his pseudonym on the line.

2) That said, him reporting one thing on his blog doesn't mean he lacks other information.

Could it be a ruse to drive up hits? Absolutely. Happens all the time.

What's nice is that it truly doesn't matter. There are guys like Mark Watson and John Watson that work their tails off to provide recruiting facts and recruiting prognostications; and there are guys that do that without sharing their identity. Time will tell if this cat is one of them.

In the meantime, let's not hope that he's right or wrong, but that Duke continues to land the kind of talent to keep K's national title streak alive. :)

DukeBlueNV
04-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Awww man I got on this thread hoping for some good Austin rivers news....

pfrduke
04-23-2010, 04:19 AM

Seems like he is doing pretty well. In the statements where he says he is pretty sure, he was right. In the Ray McCallum situation, he seemed to hedge. In none of those other situations was he as definitive as he has been about AR to Duke. As has been stated, I can't trust him yet, but if he is right about this, I will next time. That is how trust is earned. You gotta like his moxie.

(all of these his's could be her's)

He's doing guesswork based on what he sees. Some hits, some misses. But that's what it's like to cover basketball recruiting. If sharing his best guesses means he's credible, then he's credible. If "not actively spreading lies" means he's credible, then he's credible.

Maybe he has an inside source regarding the Rivers recruitment...or maybe he's just speculating based on public information. I haven't seen anything to suggest the former over the latter, but until that happens I'll just remain hopeful that his "prescient wisdom" on Rivers turns out more like his BK wisdom than his Lamb wisdom.

Ok, you collectively convinced me that I overreacted. For my own personal purposes, I'm not prepared to rely on things that are phrased as unsourced guesses, opinions, and speculations. But having not read more of their site than the post linked above that I criticized, I likely didn't give the entire operation enough credit. There seems to at least be some track record that I wasn't aware of when I spouted off. Chalk it up to frustration with the general nature of recruiting coverage (and way too many 12 hour days at the office). My apologies to all for this diversion, and to Vasherized especially if anything I said offended.

Dev11
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Passer-by stalker update: Austin was walking around campus today with Little Big Man Coach Wojo and Dr. Badass.

MCFinARL
04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Passer-by stalker update: Austin was walking around campus today with Little Big Man Coach Wojo and Dr. Badass.

So, I'm obviously a newbie. Who is Dr. Badass?

RainingThrees
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Dr badass? That might be one of the best knick-names I've ever heard. So who is it?

Highlander
04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Not sure, but I've heard that Nate's a Badass.

Class of '94

The one and only Coach Nate James, I believe.

baby-face dawkins
Nate James?

Channing
04-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Nate James ... DBA Dr. Badass

Reddevil
04-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Q: Nate James

A: Who is Dr. Badass?

CORRECT!

RainingThrees
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
With Nate James recruiting Austin Rivers I am much more confident that we will get him. Maybe we should get our second best recruiter on the job AKA Andre Dawkins.

airowe
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
With Nate James recruiting Austin Rivers I am much more confident that we will get him. Maybe we should get our second best recruiter on the job AKA Andre Dawkins.

Coach Chris Collins is actually the lead recruiter on Austin and you should already be confident that we will get Austin as Collins has a great track record landing guards and seems to have something in common with sons of former NBA players ;)

Cockabeau
04-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Nate James....such a great hire

Dev11
04-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Pardon me, I thought I read somewhere on this board that with his redshirt year, Nate James was actually able to complete his BA in sociology and a doctorate in Badass. I didn't mean to cause confusion.

SilkyJ
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Awww man I got on this thread hoping for some good Austin rivers news....

A ridiculous expectation. Recruiting threads are 90% people yelling at each other. Its amazing to me how worked up people get over this stuff.

My perspective: college players come and players go, but there is one constant: Michael William Krzyzewski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski). You guys should look him up. He's done some pretty neat stuff.

As for Vasherized, I'll say this: regardless of whether he's right or you believe him or don't or any of that stuff: people change their minds. If he is really going to go all the way through the summer without announcing then its a really bold limb to go out on and predict that he's already a done deal to Duke. A lot can happen in a few months or even weeks.

Let's say Vash is right, let's say he gave Coach K a silent verbal last night, or heck weeks/months ago, whose to say he won't change his mind? Vasherized could be right this whole time and then something happens in July, Austin changes his mind, and Vash looks like a fool (and is suddenly absent from these boards...)

FWIW, I am inclined to believe Vash/his site have some line into the family and are not just woofing.

Starter
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Honestly, who cares about the blog? This seems like a huge pride issue among people here, and I can't discern why. We're not going to know if Rivers comes to Duke for some time, and even when we do, we're probably never going to know whether Vasherized had any more insight than any of the people who claim to have "sources" or whatever on this board do. Even if he gives away whatever source he has, we're still probably never going to know if he actually knew anything. So what does any of it matter? I've looked at his blog; it seems mostly speculatory, but it's fun to speculate and he's not hurting anything. Maybe he knows something or someone, maybe he doesn't, the sun still rises in the morning.

More importantly -- Dev11, let's get some more details here... I'm hunting for clues. Was Rivers wearing a Duke shirt? Was he in between Nate and Wojo -- or on the right? The left? And at the banquet last night, did Rivers' suit have pinstripes? Was he being silent? Or verbal?

CDu
04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Honestly, who cares about the blog? This seems like a huge pride issue among people here, and I can't discern why. We're not going to know if Rivers comes to Duke for some time, and even when we do, we're probably never going to know whether Vasherized had any more insight than any of the people who claim to have "sources" or whatever on this board do. Even if he gives away whatever source he has, we're still probably never going to know if he actually knew anything. So what does any of it matter? I've looked at his blog; it seems mostly speculatory, but it's fun to speculate and he's not hurting anything. Maybe he knows something or someone, maybe he doesn't, the sun still rises in the morning.

Agreed. For the record, Vasherized (and anyone else) has a coinflip's chance of being correct that Rivers is headed to Duke assuming he/she has zero insider knowledge. Further, even if someone has insider knowledge, it's all speculative until the player makes a decision. So speculation now (with or without insider knowledge) may very well be accurate now but subject to change prior to the player's decision.

So whether Vasherized's speculation/guess is correct or not shouldn't have much if any confirmation of credibility. He could either have insider info or not (my guess is not, but that's just my guess). The outcome won't provide or hurt his credibility.

And further, as you note: who cares (aside from Vasherized, obviously)?

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I just posted this in the Quincy Miller thread but it deserves to be here too:

I wasn't at the banquet last night (because I live in Texas) but I just saw this article from ZagsBlog.com by Adam Zagoria who covers the Knicks and Big East hoops for NBA.com and SNY.tv. He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY and 1050 ESPN Radio:

DUKE HOSTING STUDS

Duke is hosting 2011 recruits Quincy Miller, Austin Rivers, Amir Williams, & Michael Gbinije at Thursday’s banquet.

The 6-4 Rivers, a junior out of Winter Park (Fla.), decommitted from Florida and is now looking at Florida, Duke and North Carolina.

“Florida is still the front-runner and Duke, it’s those two,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers told me about his son. “He’s just looking around. I think he wants to really look at other schools to get a bearing on what he likes and I like what he’s doing.”

Awesome and encouraging quote by Doc.

Vasherized
04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
FWIW, I am inclined to believe Vash/his site have some line into the family and are not just woofing.

Trust your inclinations, SilkyJ.

JasonEvans
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
“Florida is still the front-runner and Duke, it’s those two,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers told me about his son. “He’s just looking around. I think he wants to really look at other schools to get a bearing on what he likes and I like what he’s doing.”

I wonder if that quote is old because I thought the consensus was that Florida was pretty much out of it for Rivers after they took the Rutgers transfer kid.

--Jason "methinks Duke is in gooood shape on Austin" Evans

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I wonder if that quote is old because I thought the consensus was that Florida was pretty much out of it for Rivers after they took the Rutgers transfer kid.

--Jason "methinks Duke is in gooood shape on Austin" Evans

That's correct, it was from an April 6th interview.

Class of '94
04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
More importantly -- Dev11, let's get some more details here... I'm hunting for clues. Was Rivers wearing a Duke shirt? Was he in between Nate and Wojo -- or on the right? The left? And at the banquet last night, did Rivers' suit have pinstripes? Was he being silent? Or verbal?

I'm in agreement. Can Dev11 or anyone else that was on campus today or at last night's banquet give us more details/insight on their observations of Austin while he was on campus?

DukeBlueNV
04-23-2010, 05:55 PM
since the subject of conversation is almost as much about vasherized credibility as much as rivers recruitment he did claim cory joseph was a texas lean almost a month ago...

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/25/weekly-whispers-austin-rivers-corey-joseph-aau-tidbits/

dunno if that was common knowledge but i hadnt seen anything about tx being his leader anywhere else...

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 06:00 PM
since the subject of conversation is almost as much about vasherized credibility as much as rivers recruitment he did claim cory joseph was a texas lean almost a month ago...

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/25/weekly-whispers-austin-rivers-corey-joseph-aau-tidbits/

dunno if that was common knowledge but i hadnt seen anything about tx being his leader anywhere else...

I know that his Findlay Prep buddy Tristan Thompson has been trying to talk him into joining him at UT:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5117543

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-23-2010, 06:12 PM
He will most likely go if Avery Bradley stays in the draft.

DukeBlueNV
04-23-2010, 06:16 PM
http://twitter.com/CopyKatzESPN

he just committed a lil while ago

El_Diablo
04-23-2010, 06:17 PM
He will most likely go if Avery Bradley stays in the draft.

Joseph already committed to Texas.

El_Diablo
04-23-2010, 06:18 PM

...the ruffled feathers here were not really a result of Vash appearing to be good at speculating where recruits would end up. The ruffled feathers came from the way that Vash hinted at having inside information regarding RIVERS specifically...but without coming out and actually saying as much. If he really has an "in" with the Rivers family (as he's now implied), then it's irrelevant how good or bad he is at deducing where other recruits end up. So we can go on all day pointing out how he got it right with Joseph or wrong with Lamb, but either way it doesn't really cut to the heart of the issue--the inside info he actually has on Rivers.

Obviously, if Vash is getting inside information, then I understand why he is hesitant to provide specifics, name sources, or even reveal his own name.

I don't see the need for a continued referendum on his credibility in the abstract unless there's something pertinent to the Rivers recruitment...

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Joseph already committed to Texas.

oooppps well there you go. haha

Dev11
04-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Sorry, I realize my post was actually just an invitation to beg for more fun, overblown details, which of course we love :D.

Unfortunately, I didn't seem him personally, I just got a text from my roommate who saw him. According to the secondhand report, conducted about 5 hours after the text alert, my roommate says Austin was wearing athletic clothing, cool headphones around his neck, and nothing with an obvious Duke logo on it. He was spotted crossing Towerview going from Cameron to Main West talking to Dr. Badass, and Collins MIGHT have been with them (my roommate apparently doesn't stare when he walks by a big time recruit on campus, not sure what's wrong with him, I obviously would have).

Cue preposterous conclusions...

(By the way, I actually love the preposterous conclusions, so I'm glad to be feeding them :))

WiJoe
04-23-2010, 06:35 PM
so much

g u l l i b i l i t y

Class of '94
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
so much

g u l l i b i l i t y

Why is it being gullible to give someone the benefit of the doubt until they show or prove that he or she is not credible?.......Now we know not to give Dev11 the benefit of the doubt.....:)

WiJoe
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Why is it being gullible to give someone the benefit of the doubt until they show or prove that he or she is not credible?.......Now we know not to give Dev11 the benefit of the doubt.....:)

Not "Dev11". That info is fine, fwiw. I'm referring to "vash". How about your REAL name, along with an address and phone number? I know, "WiJoe"? What's up with that? I'm not throwing stuff against the wall, hoping it sticks.

airowe
04-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Let the guy have a chance to be wrong before assuming he is. Or right. Y'all are so worried about not being led astray that you're pushing people away that may be right.

There's a reason there are more questions than answers on this site regarding recruiting.

WiJoe
04-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Let the guy have a chance to be wrong before assuming he is. Or right. Y'all are so worried about not being led astray that you're pushing people away that may be right.

There's a reason there are more questions than answers on this site regarding recruiting.

For me, a lot of the angst is because of "he who shall not be named" hangover. And that aint going away until he does.

Class of '94
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Guys,

Why are some of you focused so much on Vasherized and his credibility? He gave his thoughts and we'll see if Vash is right once Austin officially commits. Let's move on. No one should be taking any of this seriously until a recruit officially commits because anything can happen, as has been said many times before. And FWIW, Vashierized was right about most of the recruits that were discussed in that article (except for Selby).

Give Vasherized a break and let's get back to focusing on Austin.

muzikfrk75
04-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Lisa Salters just interviewed Doc Rivers after the 1st quarter of the game. Not one question about his son and what college he's going to. SMH.

DukeBlueNV
04-23-2010, 10:25 PM
has anyone seen anything about rivers stopping by UNC on his way out of town? if not i'd say thats a good sign of there not being much intrest in them... i mean he comes up all the way from florida and doesnt even stop by campus when he's ten mins away? i honestly expected him to at least stop by and talk with roy or whatever. got a friend at work who follows unc recruiting closely and says he hasnt heard anything either...

duke=legacy
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Dunno about this trip, but in one of his online entries, he mentioned stopping by UNC when he comes to Duke in the summer.

DukeBlueNV
04-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Dunno about this trip, but in one of his online entries, he mentioned stopping by UNC when he comes to Duke in the summer.

still think its strange he didnt stop by seeing how he was a few mins away... i mean if it was a school he was seriously considering... its not like he lives in charlotte or something and can just drop by whenever.

SupaDave
04-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Lisa Salters just interviewed Doc Rivers after the 1st quarter of the game. Not one question about his son and what college he's going to. SMH.

Sorry but I just laughed my head off at this. Austin is crazy large in our world but not quite that one just yet...

dukeballboy88
04-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Didnt the owner of the Celtics go to Duke? Or his son walked on at Duke? I dont really know but the owner of the Celtics has ties to the Duke program in a strong way.
And I noticed Docs contract is up after next year and the celtics havent talked about an extension cause Doc said he wanted to take some time off and watch his sons career. I can see him in the stands at Cameron and I can see him coaching on the olympic team with K in 2 12.
Lets pray a bond is formed with Doc cause Irving and Rivers in the backcourt could be the best the acc has ever seen!

Reisen
04-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Didnt the owner of the Celtics go to Duke? Or his son walked on at Duke?

Yes, and yes. Steve Pagliuca is part-owner, and a partner at Bain Capital. His son, Joe, walked on a few years ago. Steve has been a great supporter of the University, and is a super nice guy. I believe he ran, unsuccessfully, in the primary for the late Ted Kennedy's Senate seat.

IIRC, he also tried to buy the NHL (yes, the whole league, and all the teams in it) a few years ago. Lowball offer, something like 3.3 billion...

muzikfrk75
04-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Sorry but I just laughed my head off at this. Austin is crazy large in our world but not quite that one just yet...

LOL good...I was hoping that someone got my humor.

SilkyJ
04-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Trust your inclinations, SilkyJ.

Please, just call me Silky. J is my last name.

Also, you better be right ;)

Thats kinda relevant but also kinda not. He's specifically said he has a line/source directly into the Rivers family. So while being accurate in several previous situations obviously lends credibility, its not necessarily relevant to the Rivers situation since its almost certainly a different source...but then again the quality of the previous sources is also relevant...

[/last post ever in a recruiting thread]
[/lying]

BD80
04-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Not sure, but I've heard that Nate's a Badass.

Nate is THE Badass

... --Jason "methinks Duke is in gooood shape on Austin" Evans

I'd feel better if you had used caps: GOOOOD shape.

... Doc said he wanted to take some time off and watch his sons career. I can see him in the stands at Cameron and I can see him coaching on the olympic team with K ...

It would be nice if Doc brings his daughter to the Cam:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/callie.jpg

Although she dates former UF, now NE Patriot, LB Brandon Spikes :(

Have the assistant coaches been announced for the US team?

dukeballboy88
04-24-2010, 08:04 AM
i dont know but if they havent put Doc on the staff and lock Austin up. Im tellin ya, Irving and Rivers backcourt will be the best ever in the acc.

ScreechTDX1847
04-24-2010, 08:28 AM
i dont know but if they havent put Doc on the staff and lock Austin up. Im tellin ya, Irving and Rivers backcourt will be the best ever in the acc.

That's a pretty bold statement about a couple of 17 year old kids who have never played a game in college.

Starter
04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I like bold statements. The alternative is playing it safe all the time. I think there's at least a chance he's right about a potential Rivers-Irving backcourt. They're both special players.

Jderf
04-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I like bold statements. The alternative is playing it safe all the time. I think there's at least a chance he's right about a potential Rivers-Irving backcourt. They're both special players.

They're both special high school players. We'll have to wait and see how special they are in college.

gam7
04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Quick question on Rivers: seems pretty clear that he can score in virtually every way imaginable, but does anyone who has seen him play have any sense of how efficient he is offensively? How many FGs does it take to get him to 30 ppg or whatever it is he averages?

airowe
04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Quick question on Rivers: seems pretty clear that he can score in virtually every way imaginable, but does anyone who has seen him play have any sense of how efficient he is offensively? How many FGs does it take to get him to 30 ppg or whatever it is he averages?

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/nRycRFQZPUuN3jRx8qft4Q/basketball-winter-09-10/stats-austin-rivers.htm

gam7
04-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks Airowe. I generally like what I see.

742 aggregate points this season on 252-486 shooting (52%). 170-268 from 2 point range (63%) and 82-218 from 3 (38%). 156-232 on FTs (67%).

Not sure how it stacks up against other elite guards in his class (looked for Teague and Beal on MaxPreps, but stats are not consistently entered for them), but I like his overall efficiency. In some videos, it looked like he has a big hitch in his free throws. I suspect that wherever he ends up, there'll be some experimenting with potentially eliminating that hitch to try to improve his FT%.

Anyway, thanks again!

MisterRoddy
04-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Anybody who is an insider that can give us the basic gist of this article?

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=965321&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f965 321.html%3futm_source%3dtwitterfeed%26utm_medium%3 dtwitter

Would really appreciate it

stickdog
04-25-2010, 12:38 AM
teaser = so far so good

CameronBornAndBred
04-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Have the assistant coaches been announced for the US team?
If you are implying that Doc Rivers should be on the staff..that would be a bad, bad, bad idea. At least until Austin announces that he will be committing to unc or some other school.

airowe
04-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I found the following passage to be, hmm how shall i say, appetizing?:

Please don't post Premium Info from other websites. You are stealing money from those site operators and from the people who pay money for those sites, including me.

dahntaysdawg
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Please don't post Premium Info from other websites. You are stealing money from those site operators and from the people who pay money for those sites, including me.

Yeah cuz TDD never stole information from any other paying sites:rolleyes:

airowe
04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah cuz TDD never stole information from any other paying sites:rolleyes:

I don't get it.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't pay for sites because once the kid commits, well then what's the point. But I can see why others do.

MisterRoddy
04-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Apparently, Austin Rivers will decide on his college in the next couple of weeks, a far cry from the August/September times we had previously heard.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/384227-austin-rivers-recruitment

Seeing as Austin just visited, this seems like great news, if correct.
Anybody heard anything else related to this?

baby-face dawkins
04-25-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't know how much I trust bleacher report, but if its true then I'd be glad to at least put an end to all the speculation. Hopefully it goes our way:D

chrisheery
04-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope they are right, but I doubt anything that comes from this website. I might have talked about this in the past . . .

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17267&highlight=bleacher+report

Starter
04-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't trust Bleacher either, but it would go along with the timetable he's been working with thus far -- i.e. decommitting three days (I think) after Duke won a national title, which I took to be a pretty positive sign.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-25-2010, 07:27 PM
According to Highschool Hoops Austin Rivers is the second best player in High school only second to Jared S.

mkline09
04-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I hope they are right, but I doubt anything that comes from this website. I might have talked about this in the past . . .

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17267&highlight=bleacher+report

I write for Bleacher Report and I wouldn't trust that link. Just because it is so vague and there are absolutely no sources listed. If I were to write anything of that nature I would surely back it up which it appears this person did not.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 01:04 AM
any news on how his visit went?

NSDukeFan
04-26-2010, 09:09 AM
any news on how his visit went?

My guess, based on almost every visit that has occurred at almost every school, is that it went well. :D

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
My guess, based on almost every visit that has occurred at almost every school, is that it went well. :D

You mean he liked the school, the coach, and the players a lot? ;)

NSDukeFan
04-26-2010, 10:00 AM
You mean he liked the school, the coach, and the players a lot? ;)

He likes the way the team runs up and down the floor, he could really see himself playing that style, but he is going to keep things close to the vest for now and explore all his options unless he can see himself in a package deal with another recruit.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
He likes the way the team runs up and down the floor, he could really see himself playing that style, but he is going to keep things close to the vest for now and explore all his options unless he can see himself in a package deal with another recruit.

I heard he's also looking at other schools but will consult with his family, friends, and coaches before reaching a decision.

WiJoe
04-26-2010, 06:59 PM
so much

s a r c a s m

!

MisterRoddy
04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Possible Austin Rivers update?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2755&t=5902447

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Reading that, it seemed a little confusing but as long as we are still the favorite that's cool.

MisterRoddy
04-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Reading that, it seemed a little confusing but as long as we are still the favorite that's cool.

I guess, if all that was legit, it kinda worries me that he said UK first, but then again things do get mixed up in translation a lot.

airowe
04-28-2010, 09:28 PM

That was disturbing.

Duke of Nashville
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM

wow...just want to say to everyone on DBR that I love you.

DukeBlueNV
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM

dude... really? sounds like complete BS! wow... where has he ever, at any time, mentioned louisville??? could it be real? maybe.... but come on what "friend" of austin wouldnt allready know what colleges he is looking at. seems like someone trying to stir something up on his favorite teams message board.

MisterRoddy
04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
My post was meant strictly for the first post in that forum...everything else was, indeed, disturbing.

Devil's Advocate
04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I think this is an off-the-cuff text and nothing more. So he mentions UK. It's the en-vogue response these days. This provides no new information, and I don't see any reason to read anything into this. As much as I would like an update on Rivers (or, a commitment would be nice) we simply don't know, nor can we deduce anything reliable from this information.

Bo_Spice
04-28-2010, 11:12 PM
With Tony Wroten Jr. leaning towards going to UK and Dorron Lamb looking like a guy who will stay more then 1 year at UK, I doubt they have room to get Rivers, Teague, Wroten and Lamb the minutes they all deserve so I don't think UK has a legit chance at Rivers.