PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

soccerstud2210
03-26-2010, 10:07 AM
IMO,Rivers will be a Blue Devil

i'm not picking on you Cockabeau, but how many times did and have we heard that with HB and QM. i hope you are right, but as for me, i won't choose to believe it till he has signed that LOI

NashvilleDevil
03-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Lastly, Doc has a very strong relation ship with K and several Duke players. Those ties should be similar in effect as mama Barnes' feelings toward Jordan and unc.

Doc also has a strong relationship with Paul Pierce, who was one of Roy's best players from his days coaching Kansas. I do not know if that is a factor at all, it probably is not but I have not seen that link mentioned in this thread.

Gewebe14
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm sure Doc really wants Austin to be like Pierce...

JohnGalt
03-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Doc also has a strong relationship with Paul Pierce, who was one of Roy's best players from his days coaching Kansas. I do not know if that is a factor at all, it probably is not but I have not seen that link mentioned in this thread.

so by this same stretch of logic, perhaps KG is encouraging Doc to tell Austin to skip college altogether?

dukelifer
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Doc has been playing Shelden a bit more of late- could suggest a Duke lean :)
I am pretty sure Doc has high regard for both coaches and needs no one else to provide input. Taking off my Duke-colored classes, both programs are outstanding- it is really what will be the best fit of styles and ability to contribute.

Osiagledknarf
03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/369189-north-carolina-is-recruiting-austin-rivers

Say it ain't so.

JohnGalt
03-26-2010, 12:37 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/369189-north-carolina-is-recruiting-austin-rivers

Say it ain't so.

It is so, but you have to be careful with Bleacher Report. There are some - how shall I say - less than scholarly articles written by some less than informed individuals.

Osiagledknarf
03-26-2010, 12:40 PM
It is so, but you have to be careful with Bleacher Report. There are some - how shall I say - less than scholarly articles written by some less than informed individuals.

It also appeared on a North Carolina site.. So we will see what happens with this. God for Bid if he goes there.

cato
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
God for Bid

Will it be a live auction or silent?

-bdbd
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
QFT. -jk hits the nail on the head.

This season, the one where Duke is a #1 seed and strong national title contender while featuring exactly zero future lottery picks an perhaps only 1 or 2 kids who will even be first round NBA draft picks, should tell us all that Duke will be fine regardless of how one or two recruiting battles turn out. K knows how to get the players that make his program go. The roster looks to be wickedly stacked going forward. Rivers would be an awesome addition, but if he chooses to go elsewhere, we wish him well and move on.

All that said, you would have to be insane not to love Duke's position in this particular recruiting battle. Go ahead, Roy. See if you can get in there, but we all know that Doc's son has a favorite at this point and it ain't the light blue.

-Jason "-jk's post should be required reading in all recruiting threads" Evans

Again, well-stated Jason. I may have missed something, but haven't seen anything credible (i.e. from AR or his inner circle) that indicates Kerlina even gets seriously considered, etc. I think everyone here is a bit shell-shiocked after the HB disappointment, but there's really no evidence that NC@CH is even a threat to our position WRT Austin. As Jason says, we have an incredibly good position with him now, and his situation is unique unto itself. I also like our tradition with kids of pro-Athlete/coach parents - Grant Hill, Hurley, Collins, Dunleavey, Nolan Smith, Curry, etc., etc, etc.

loran16
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Once again I'll bring this up:

It's not surprising UNC is after a top prospect...and don't bring up the position, they've shown plenty of times a willingness to go after a prospect at a position they have a logjam of players at already.

ATM, it appears one-sided. But Austin may very well consider UNC. It's very possible; hate him all we want (and I do), Roy has shown to be a good recruiter, this year's class notwithstanding.

We should all be prepared for the possibility that UNC could get him. We may be the favorite now, but nothing is for sure until he actually gives a solid commitment in writing.

sleepybear
03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Let's not forget that Roy probably called Austin just after making the Final Four this year. Austin, that could be you.:p

-bdbd
03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Once again I'll bring this up:

It's not surprising UNC is after a top prospect...and don't bring up the position, they've shown plenty of times a willingness to go after a prospect at a position they have a logjam of players at already.

ATM, it appears one-sided. But Austin may very well consider UNC. It's very possible; hate him all we want (and I do), Roy has shown to be a good recruiter, this year's class notwithstanding.

We should all be prepared for the possibility that UNC could get him. We may be the favorite now, but nothing is for sure until he actually gives a solid commitment in writing.

'really think folks are making more of this than the current evidence warrants. Again, NOTHING FROM AR INDICATES THAT HE'S EVEN SOMEWHAT CONSIDERING ANYONE BESIDES DUKE AND FLA. With his level of talent you should only be surprised if he wasn't being approached by any/all of the big, generic State-U's out there, including Kerlina. There are reasons why he approached Duke, and why we have been feeling good about our chances. None of that has changed (nor hopefully will change). Duke is a very good fit for this young man on many levels. It is OK to feel good about it (and to save the IC clips on this topic for later in order to throw back at them after his actual decision). ;)

As an analogy, I'm sorta feeling that this is like the third world/hostile powers circa 1970's, where the CIA might have a publicized success or two, and from then on EVERY ill that afflicts these countries gets blamed on the CIA, like they were omnipotent/ubiquitous or something. No reason at all to believe Kerlina is a threat to us here.

:) :D :cool:

Andre Buckner Fan
03-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Will it be a live auction or silent?

Either way, that God fellow has been known to outbid all of the competition. :D

Huh?
03-26-2010, 08:38 PM
'really think folks are making more of this than the current evidence warrants. Again, NOTHING FROM AR INDICATES THAT HE'S EVEN SOMEWHAT CONSIDERING ANYONE BESIDES DUKE AND FLA. With his level of talent you should only be surprised if he wasn't being approached by any/all of the big, generic State-U's out there, including Kerlina. There are reasons why he approached Duke, and why we have been feeling good about our chances. None of that has changed (nor hopefully will change). Duke is a very good fit for this young man on many levels. It is OK to feel good about it (and to save the IC clips on this topic for later in order to throw back at them after his actual decision). ;)

As an analogy, I'm sorta feeling that this is like the third world/hostile powers circa 1970's, where the CIA might have a publicized success or two, and from then on EVERY ill that afflicts these countries gets blamed on the CIA, like they were omnipotent/ubiquitous or something. No reason at all to believe Kerlina is a threat to us here.

:) :D :cool:

He'll more than likely decommit after the RISE tourney next week. Roy actually went down FL yesterday...Supposedly Kendall Marshall and Rivers are good friends, but we saw what happened with the Kyrie Irving/HB friendship, didn't matter. Anyways, the Rivers camp wasn't too pleased with the Michael Gbinije committment, oh well, I would rather have someone who doesn't care who is at his position and is confident enough to come in and know he's going to get his.
And by no means does this mean we are out of the Rivers race.

DevilHorns
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
NOTHING FROM AR INDICATES THAT HE'S EVEN SOMEWHAT CONSIDERING ANYONE BESIDES DUKE AND FLA.:

I posted this yesterday (http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/os-vtw-all-cf-boys-0325-20100324,0,5456320.story); March 24th article:

"I've been following Duke really closely in the [ NCAA] tournament and I love the way they set screens and give so much freedom to [Kyle] Singler and [Jon] Scheyer," Rivers said. "I've always loved the way Florida plays. I've been watching Kentucky and the way [coach John] Calipari let his guys go, which is great. Texas really lets their guards play.

"I'm not going to be as busy with basketball as I've been in the past. I'm going to take the time to make my body bigger and stronger and to make this decision. By the time school starts back [in August], I think I'll know where I want to go."

It seems that he is at least "considering" Texas and UK from this quotes.

Huh?
03-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm hearing Duke, UNC, and FL will be the three. MAYBE Texas if Doc says ok, but that would be hard to believe since Rick Barnes may be the worst basketball coach of any BCS conference team in America.

UNC coming on the scene after the fact....sound familiar? uugghh

I'm just stoked about the guys coming in already, not going to get my blood pressure up like I did with HB.

COYS
03-27-2010, 12:24 AM
He'll more than likely decommit after the RISE tourney next week. Roy actually went down FL yesterday...Supposedly Kendall Marshall and Rivers are good friends, but we saw what happened with the Kyrie Irving/HB friendship, didn't matter. Anyways, the Rivers camp wasn't too pleased with the Michael Gbinije committment, oh well, I would rather have someone who doesn't care who is at his position and is confident enough to come in and know he's going to get his.

Really? That doesn't seem to make much sense. Gbinije is clearly a 2/3 type. Rivers is a 1/2. Rivers is also better than Gbinije at this point and, if there is competition at the 2, Rivers would likely get the nod. If everyone stays, Duke will have juniors Dawkins and Curry, and sophomores Irving and Thornton as guards. There is a chance that Irving could be gone by then. Even if he's not, Rivers almost certainly plays in front of Thornton and Gbinije. His competition for playing time will be with Irving at the one and Dawkins/Curry at the 2 and he's known forever that those guys would be on the roster.

Huh?
03-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Really? That doesn't seem to make much sense. Gbinije is clearly a 2/3 type. Rivers is a 1/2. Rivers is also better than Gbinije at this point and, if there is competition at the 2, Rivers would likely get the nod. If everyone stays, Duke will have juniors Dawkins and Curry, and sophomores Irving and Thornton as guards. There is a chance that Irving could be gone by then. Even if he's not, Rivers almost certainly plays in front of Thornton and Gbinije. His competition for playing time will be with Irving at the one and Dawkins/Curry at the 2 and he's known forever that those guys would be on the roster.

Totally agree, I was surprised when I heard that, just sharing. Does Rivers play in front of Gbinije? Haven't seen MG play. Rivers can really score, defense, suspect.
I am not really concerned about Rivers because our guards look SOLID for the next few years, of course it's always good to have quality depth. I'm really excited not only about Sunday, but also for the years to come......K's got em rolling!

striker219
03-27-2010, 12:34 AM

Looking to the future, I love this post so much that I want to fold it up and put it in my pocket to take it everywhere I go.

Huh?
03-27-2010, 12:35 AM
PS. I love recruiting talk.

Class of '94
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM

I don't want talk too much about this right now when we need to focus all of our attention on the incredible run this current Duke team is on; and supporting them at the final 4 and to the national championship. But saying that, here is some food for thought on this Rivers situation: If the Rivers camp is irked for whatever reason by the MG commitment, they should look at the Carolina situation with the same amount of displeasure because by the time Rivers would be eligible to go to UNC (if he unwisely decided to do so), he would be looking at competing for playing time at the guard position with most likely Marshall, Bullock, Strickland, McDonald, fellow '11 freshman P.J. Hairston, and HB as well. So where's the advantage in playing for a team like UNC over Duke (other than playing for an inferior team IMO)?

CDu
03-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't want talk too much about this right now when we need to focus all of our attention on the incredible run this current Duke team is on; and supporting them at the final 4 and to the national championship. But saying that, here is some food for thought on this Rivers situation: If the Rivers camp is irked for whatever reason by the MG commitment, they should look at the Carolina situation with the same amount of displeasure because by the time Rivers would be eligible to go to UNC (if he unwisely decided to do so), he would be looking at competing for playing time at the guard position with most likely Marshall, Bullock, Strickland, McDonald, fellow '11 freshman P.J. Hairston, and HB as well. So where's the advantage in playing for a team like UNC over Duke (other than playing for an inferior team IMO)?

Bullock and Barnes would be more in the wing/forward mold rather than a guard. Both are 6'6"+ swingmen types. So really, Rivers would be competing with Marshall, McDonald, Drew, and Strickland (assuming all of those guys stay) if he chose UNC. But yeah, he'd likely still be looking at a very crowded backcourt.

Class of '94
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Bullock and Barnes would be more in the wing/forward mold rather than a guard. Both are 6'6"+ swingmen types. So really, Rivers would be competing with Marshall, McDonald, Drew, and Strickland (assuming all of those guys stay) if he chose UNC. But yeah, he'd likely still be looking at a very crowded backcourt.

Excellent point about Barnes and Bullock; but is it just me or does it now seem like Coach K's switch to a broader net approach might potentially cost us some of the top players that we want. It seemed like it did or at least used against us by Ol Roy in the HB recruiting and now this Rivers situation. It's almost like you're "damned if you do, damned if you don't"; but personally, I prefer the wide net approach and hope the top recruits can respect how we do things. And I think it's funny how UNC coaches might try to use that against us eventhough they've been doing this for years and continue to do it.

OK, I'm done with this subject until after the Final 4.....Go Duke!!!!

Channing
03-29-2010, 01:48 PM
can anyone point to a source other than hearsay regarding the rivers camp and the MG commitment?

alteran
03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Just to back up Kedsy a little. I think he might have been referring to the fact that Barnes is a HUGE MJ fan. Like many people around the country. But it has been said a number of times that his mother is a HUGE Carolina and MJ Fan. She used to make the kid watch MJ highlight tapes!!! That is I think the mindset the Kedsy may have been speaking of. Carolina jumped in late....I believe that his interest in Duke was very genuine but that was before his dream school jumped in...which just happened to be UNC. I was dissappointed as most but whatever he's a kid and he's a great bball play and entitled to change his mind (even if it is for UNC)...so let it go..move on....hopefully we get the best of him on the court

Yeah, his name is actually Harrison Bryce-Jordan Barnes, and yes, the Jordan in his name is for number 23.

Apparently, his mother stuck Jordan in the name of ALL her kids.

Not terribly surprising we lost this one. Enjoy the rest of the NIT, Mr. Barnes.

rotogod00
03-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I know there was discussion on Carolina entering the Rivers' sweepstakes, but don't remember reading anything directly from him on the subject:

"He's a really good man," Rivers said of Williams. "I do think that could be a school that I could possibly end up going to.

"The only coaches that have come in are the ones I sort of gave my consent to, and that was Duke and North Carolina so far," he added.

CDu
03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah, his name is actually Harrison Bryce-Jordan Barnes, and yes, the Jordan in his name is for number 23.

Apparently, his mother stuck Jordan in the name of ALL her kids.

Not terribly surprising we lost this one. Enjoy the rest of the NIT, Mr. Barnes.

Hindsight is 20/20. Until pretty late in the game, most people were expecting Barnes to come to Duke. If it wasn't terribly surprising that we lost, you would think we wouldn't have been considered the favorites for such a long time.

I completely agree that the Jordan factor played a large part in Barnes going to UNC. But I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's not terribly surprising that we lost him. There was a very long period of time were he was expected to choose Duke.

YourLandlord
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. Until pretty late in the game, most people were expecting Barnes to come to Duke. If it wasn't terribly surprising that we lost, you would think we wouldn't have been considered the favorites for such a long time.

I completely agree that the Jordan factor played a large part in Barnes going to UNC. But I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's not terribly surprising that we lost him. There was a very long period of time were he was expected to choose Duke.

See, I was under this impression too, but talking to people in the Triangle afterwards, everyone expected him to go to UNC.

COYS
03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Excellent point about Barnes and Bullock; but is it just me or does it now seem like Coach K's switch to a broader net approach might potentially cost us some of the top players that we want. It seemed like it did or at least used against us by Ol Roy in the HB recruiting and now this Rivers situation. It's almost like you're "damned if you do, damned if you don't"; but personally, I prefer the wide net approach and hope the top recruits can respect how we do things. And I think it's funny how UNC coaches might try to use that against us eventhough they've been doing this for years and continue to do it.

OK, I'm done with this subject until after the Final 4.....Go Duke!!!!

The points about Bullock and Barnes apply to MG, too, though. He's a 6'6'' SG/WF, not a combo guard. Rivers would be more likely to be competing with RS junior Seth Curry and Sophomore Kyrie Irving than a freshman MG. He will be playing as a lead guard or a 2 guard, most likely.

jaygdevil11
03-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Austin Rivers opening the flood gates?

So I’m a little pissed because I’m a die-hard Duke fan and now I’m hearing that Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla.) is about to let UNC, Texas and Kentucky jump in on his recruitment! I thought it was just us! I know you talk to Austin a lot; can you shed some light on this?
- Rick

It’s all a part of the recruiting game. Is he really going to say “Peace out Billy D” and “Hello Coach K” all in the same day? Remember back in the 2007 class when Eric Gordon made the switch from being committed to Illinois to committing to Indiana? He got crucified and villainized to some extent.

Rivers is smarter than that. I’m not saying that he’s not going to give the schools he’s opening things up to a real look — and while we’re listing, I’d add UCLA if I were you — I’m simply saying LISTEN to what he says. As you know he keeps a diary here; just peep a few things he’s said in interviews about your boys:

* When asked who was gonna win the Duke-UNC game:
“Duke! Just because they’re my team and they play harder! They just want it every game and they have better guards.”

* When asked about Duke’s Big Three:
“Those guys have Duke’s swag turned all the way up right now.”

TRUST, I could go on… Point is, you could be in a much worse position right now. All of the schools on Rivers’ list, which will be coming out soon after he de-commits from Florida in the next few weeks, will be formidable: North Carolina is North Carolina, Kentucky has Cal and his perceived genius with guards, UCLA has tradition… But the word is K has Doc Rivers. Just like Roy Williams had Harrison Barnes’ mother Shirley. And I know you know how sweet that worked out for the Tar Heels, huh? So chin up old chum.

Link: http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/03/mail-day-with-jj-329/#more-2299

CDu
03-30-2010, 01:14 PM
See, I was under this impression too, but talking to people in the Triangle afterwards, everyone expected him to go to UNC.

By the end (i.e., the last month or two), this is probably correct. But that's not what I was saying. We recruited him for years, and at least as of several months before the decision was made we were considered the favorites (at least far moreso than UNC), even by local folks.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM

So I’m a little pissed because I’m a die-hard Duke fan and now I’m hearing that Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla.) is about to let UNC, Texas and Kentucky jump in on his recruitment! I thought it was just us! I know you talk to Austin a lot; can you shed some light on this?
- Rick

It’s all a part of the recruiting game. Is he really going to say “Peace out Billy D” and “Hello Coach K” all in the same day? Remember back in the 2007 class when Eric Gordon made the switch from being committed to Illinois to committing to Indiana? He got crucified and villainized to some extent.

Rivers is smarter than that. I’m not saying that he’s not going to give the schools he’s opening things up to a real look — and while we’re listing, I’d add UCLA if I were you — I’m simply saying LISTEN to what he says. As you know he keeps a diary here; just peep a few things he’s said in interviews about your boys:

“Duke! Just because they’re my team and they play harder! They just want it every game and they have better guards.”

TRUST, I could go on… Point is, you could be in a much worse position right now. All of the schools on Rivers’ list, which will be coming out soon after he de-commits from Florida in the next few weeks, will be formidable: North Carolina is North Carolina, Kentucky has Cal and his perceived genius with guards, UCLA has tradition… But the word is K has Doc Rivers. Just like Roy Williams had Harrison Barnes’ mother Shirley. And I know you know how sweet that worked out for the Tar Heels, huh? So chin up old chum.

Link: http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/03/mail-day-with-jj-329/#more-2299

This sounds promising but i still have my doubts about the whole situation.

BD80
03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
... "The only coaches that have come in are the ones I sort of gave my consent to, and that was Duke and North Carolina so far," he added.

The phrase "sort of" seems to have entered the picture at the same time ol' roy did. Rivers had repeatedly said that he expressly consented to Duke being involved.

Sounds like ol' roy got involved without expressed permission. And yet Rivers is still verbally committed to Florida. Moral high ground a little slippery there roy?

Houston
03-30-2010, 01:54 PM

But the word is K has Doc Rivers. Just like Roy Williams had Harrison Barnes’ mother Shirley. And I know you know how sweet that worked out for the Tar Heels, huh? So chin up old chum.

I like our chances! It is also very interesting that one of the principal owners of the Celtics played JV basketball at Duke and his son walked onto the team. Doc seems to have a good relationship with Steve P.

yancem
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
By the end (i.e., the last month or two), this is probably correct. But that's not what I was saying. We recruited him for years, and at least as of several months before the decision was made we were considered the favorites (at least far moreso than UNC), even by local folks.

True but remember that unc didn't even begin to recruit Barnes until after the tournament last year and it wasn't until late summer that they really turned the heat up. Also, it wasn't until after his visit to unc that his mother's adoration of Jordan came to light.

I, like many bought into the persona that Barnes carefully created and believed that his praise for K and Duke was sincere but looking back at some of the signs and adding them to comments he has made since his decision it seems obvious that Duke lost the battle in his recruitment soon after O'Roy entered the picture. We just didn't have all the facts until after the decision was official.

As for Rivers, you c an never truly tell until the LOI is signed, but I think he is in a different position than Barnes. I think that he is seriously considering de-committing from UF but wants to make sure he covers all his bases and doesn't make the same mistake he make before, that being making a rash decision without looking at other schools. Is Duke where he will ultimately sign, I don't know but I think that him checking out other schools will make him feel more at ease with what ever decision he makes and will also take some of the sting out of the de-commitment from UF. It seems to me that if he wanted to expand his list for these reasons, he choose the most logical schools. UNC is unc and has won 2 titles in the last couple of years, Kentucky is Kentucky and Cal has them looking like an "it" program and Texas has been good and well publicized the past few seasons. If the article linked above is correct and UCLA is also in the mix, then well, they are UCLA and have been to a couple of F4's the past few seasons.

Bluedevil114
03-30-2010, 07:27 PM

- Rick

Do not forget after Barnes official visit in his diary he used "we" when talking about the Duke team warming up.

I hope Rivers is different. Go Duke!!

roywhite
03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
As for Rivers, you c an never truly tell until the LOI is signed, but I think he is in a different position than Barnes. I think that he is seriously considering de-committing from UF but wants to make sure he covers all his bases and doesn't make the same mistake he make before, that being making a rash decision without looking at other schools. Is Duke where he will ultimately sign, I don't know but I think that him checking out other schools will make him feel more at ease with what ever decision he makes and will also take some of the sting out of the de-commitment from UF. It seems to me that if he wanted to expand his list for these reasons, he choose the most logical schools. UNC is unc and has won 2 titles in the last couple of years, Kentucky is Kentucky and Cal has them looking like an "it" program and Texas has been good and well publicized the past few seasons. If the article linked above is correct and UCLA is also in the mix, then well, they are UCLA and have been to a couple of F4's the past few seasons.

Or his "opening" the recruiting process to a handful of schools then gives him cover to choose his currently preferred school, Duke? An easier move than just backing out from Florida and going to Duke?

Just a theory...

MChambers
03-30-2010, 07:51 PM
All of the schools on Rivers’ list, which will be coming out soon after he de-commits from Florida in the next few weeks, will be formidable: North Carolina is North Carolina, Kentucky has Cal and his perceived genius with guards, UCLA has tradition… But the word is K has Doc Rivers. Just like Roy Williams had Harrison Barnes’ mother Shirley. And I know you know how sweet that worked out for the Tar Heels, huh? So chin up old chum.

Anybody else find it ironic that Calipari's assistant for point guards is Rod Strickland? As a D.C. resident, I don't consider him to be a role model. Wonder what Doc Rivers thinks?

Dukeknights
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I think Rivers(Austin) wants to be a Blue Devil. I think his dad likes Duke, problem i think is he likes UNC more. When Austin talks about UNC in his interviews it is much different then he talks about Duke.

juise
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I think Rivers(Austin) wants to be a Blue Devil. I think his dad likes Duke, problem i think is he likes UNC more. When Austin talks about UNC in his interviews it is much different then he talks about Duke.

Examples (multiple) are always useful when you make sweeping statements like this.

airowe
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Examples (multiple) are always useful when you make sweeping statements like this.

Especially when the statements are incorrect.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-30-2010, 08:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Dukeknights
03-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Especially when the statements are incorrect.

It was my opinion, never made any statements...

airowe
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
It was my opinion, never made any statements...

When Austin talks about UNC in his interviews it is much different then he talks about Duke.

This was what I was referring to.

Osiagledknarf
03-30-2010, 11:27 PM

When has he said anything about UNC? Where has his family said anything about UNC? Where are you hearing this from? I don't believe he has even had an interview about UNC. He has said he would put them on his list but nothing more..

Duke has shown a lot more intrest in him then any other school and has pursued him more then any other school to this point.

DukeSean
03-31-2010, 01:24 AM
From ESPN:

ESPNU Super 60 shooting guard Austin Rivers told the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that North Carolina is now recruiting him along with Duke and Florida to whom he is verbally committed.

UNC head coach Roy Williams watched Rivers and Winter Park practice last week in preparation for the Panthers appearance in the ESPN RISE National High School Invitational (April 1-3).

"He's a really good man," Rivers said of Williams. "I do think that could be a school that I could possibly end up going to.

"The only coaches that have come in are the ones I sort of gave my consent to, and that was Duke and North Carolina so far," he added.

sivartrenrag
03-31-2010, 01:44 AM
Bleh... I'm going to have to quit reading this thread until after the Final Four. There's enough exciting stuff going on that I don't want to think about the possibility of Austin going to UNC.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 01:47 AM
Bleh... I'm going to have to quit reading this thread until after the Final Four.

Um Okay, no one forces you to read this... it will be here during the final four and after. It's a recruiting thread full of speculation.

sivartrenrag
03-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Um Okay, no one forces you to read this... it will be here during the final four and after. It's a recruiting thread full of speculation.

Not looking for an argument, all I said was I wasn't going to read it. I'm not saying nobody else should read it, and I'm not saying that it should be closed. Relax, bro.

papa whiskey
03-31-2010, 07:43 AM
I just realized that the name of this thread is where there is smoke, there is fire. I guess now that Roy and UNC are getting involved again, that statement may again be true.

fgb
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Not looking for an argument, all I said was I wasn't going to read it. I'm not saying nobody else should read it, and I'm not saying that it should be closed. Relax, bro.

Sort of looks like you're still reading it.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Sort of looks like you're still reading it.

No reading, starting....now!!!

I will continue to read it because there is something new with him every day it seems like. More schools dropping by to pay a visit, more schools being dropped by him. He is the most coveted prospect in the country, so we'll see. I still don't see him going to UNC.

MarkD83
03-31-2010, 01:53 PM
I know it has been mentioned before but if no one leaves UNC early they will have 14 scholarship players the year that Rivers enters college. So if UNC is involved than pick two of the three that will NOT be at UNC if Rivers goes there.

Davis, Henson, Barnes.

airowe
03-31-2010, 02:02 PM
I know it has been mentioned before but if no one leaves UNC early they will have 14 scholarship players the year that Rivers enters college. So if UNC is involved than pick two of the three that will NOT be at UNC if Rivers goes there.

Davis, Henson, Barnes.

While I think that list will definitely include Davis after this year (see DraftExpress tweet re: Davis deciding between 3 agents at the time) here are some names to add to it (and these are only after this year)

Drew, McDonald, Watts reportedly looking at possibility of transfer.

Graves considering exhausting his eligibility as he graduates in May.

The injured Where? Twin may not be able to recover from his labrum injury and could ask for and receive a medical hardship.

Of course, Henson and Barnes are projected very high in the draft in '11 so you could see them gone by then.

As you can see, there's not as big of a scholarship crinch as it seems if even half of these things occur. We'll see.

Regardless, Duke is in a very good spot with the Rivers Camp at this time. I'm very excited about his visit this Summer.

MarkD83
03-31-2010, 02:07 PM
The difficulty being if Rivers accepts a scholarship in the Fall of 2010 something will have to give at UNC for them to make the offer.

-bdbd
03-31-2010, 02:21 PM

There is WAAAY too much hand-wringing going on here folks. If the whole (unique situation) Barnes thing hadn't occured, I seriously doubt that NC@CH trying to get even a little involved gets very much play on these boards. Again, I see nothing from from AR that indicates NC@CH to be a serious threat here. Pay attention to the posters who've been around this process longer, or are better connected. WE ARE IN A VERY GOOD SITUATION vis-a-vis Austin Rivers. Many here are giving ole Huck waaay too much credit than is warranted. It is VERY possible that NC doesn't even develop into our biggest threat here, or may not ultimately get seriously considered at all. I like our chances of landing the number one kid in the country. There really is a reason that he contacted Duke. Have some confidence.

Devilsfan
03-31-2010, 02:48 PM
After being publically embarased by ol roy again last night in the pressor I don't think LD part deaux will be back in chapel hill next year. Just my opinion.

yancem
03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
There is WAAAY too much hand-wringing going on here folks. If the whole (unique situation) Barnes thing hadn't occured, I seriously doubt that NC@CH trying to get even a little involved gets very much play on these boards. Again, I see nothing from from AR that indicates NC@CH to be a serious threat here. Pay attention to the posters who've been around this process longer, or are better connected. WE ARE IN A VERY GOOD SITUATION vis-a-vis Austin Rivers. Many here are giving ole Huck waaay too much credit than is warranted. It is VERY possible that NC doesn't even develop into our biggest threat here, or may not ultimately get seriously considered at all. I like our chances of landing the number one kid in the country. There really is a reason that he contacted Duke. Have some confidence.

While I have said on a couple of occasions that I feel the Rivers situation is different than the Barnes situation, I'm pretty sure if you go back and look at the Barnes thread during the April-July time period, you will find very similar posts to yours. Unc is a top program with a top coach and Rivers seems open to listening to more schools than he was a few weeks/months ago. Duke may be in a "very good situation vis-a-vis Austin Rivers" but in the recruiting landscape, situations change quickly and that is where all of the hand wringing comes from.

Huh?
03-31-2010, 03:12 PM

Davis, Henson, Barnes.

Pretty sure DAvis is gone, he has alrady started to look into 3 different sports agencies.

DukeBlueNV
03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
sup all. long time reader first time poster... i was bored at work and decided to visit highschoolhoop.com looking for some mcd's updates and came across austins new diary...

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/03/austin-rivers-diary-north-carolina-in-the-mix/#more-2320

some interesting stuff here, he confirms that unc is recruting him and that he gave them permission. he also goes on to say that uf and duke are defintly the front runners (heard simlar stuff concerning our friend HB regarding duke and kansas... saw how that panned out) but this is straight from the source so i guess u can take his word... wouldn't say we are a shoe in but that definitly puts my anxiety to rest for a while knowing that unc has some ground to make up but we've seen it happen before.

some of my own opinion if you guys dont mind... i dont think we really need rivers. i would take him in a second cuz he has crazy skill but we allready have a similar player in seth (pg that can put up points and hit crazy 3s) then we will have dawkins, thorton, irving... i mean where does rivers fit... he would probably start over everyone but irving but that kinda relegates all the other guys to the bench... assuming MG and/or Felix will be playing the 3.
That being said i would love to have but if we dont get him its no biggie... we really could use someone like quincy miller or johnny obryant an atheltic 4 that can shoot/drive/rebound/ and throw down some sick dunks.

Spam Filter
03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Depth is never a bad thing, and how do you know that Irving won't be one and done?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
I find it's funny that Unc asked rivers coach if they can recruit him. SMH

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2010, 07:39 PM
I find it's funny that Unc asked rivers coach if they can recruit him. SMH
Mr. Bailey, can I date your boy, Austin? I'll have him home by 10pm, honest. Dadgummit, he'd make my bus look good.

DukeBlueNV
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Depth is never a bad thing, and how do you know that Irving won't be one and done?

yea i see what ur saying but IMO i see irving as at least a two year player. i consider "1-and-done" prospects as players that WOULD got straight to the nba if they could (durant, wall, oden, etc.) i dont see kyrie as that type of player... not out of the relm of possiblity tho.

airowe
03-31-2010, 08:02 PM
yea i see what ur saying but IMO i see irving as at least a two year player. i consider "1-and-done" prospects as players that WOULD got straight to the nba if they could (durant, wall, oden, etc.) i dont see kyrie as that type of player... not out of the relm of possiblity tho.

#1 Point Guard in his class. He would go straight to the NBA.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 08:03 PM

yea Brandon Knight

DukeBlueNV
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM

all do respect... regardless of where he is positioned in this class, #1 point guard or not, dont see him as a player that would (or could) go str8 to the nba... just my opinion.

airowe
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
yea Brandon Knight

Wait till the final rankings come out. You'll see what I mean ;)

-bdbd
03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
While I have said on a couple of occasions that I feel the Rivers situation is different than the Barnes situation, I'm pretty sure if you go back and look at the Barnes thread during the April-July time period, you will find very similar posts to yours. Unc is a top program with a top coach and Rivers seems open to listening to more schools than he was a few weeks/months ago. Duke may be in a "very good situation vis-a-vis Austin Rivers" but in the recruiting landscape, situations change quickly and that is where all of the hand wringing comes from.

Fair point. But the fact that some people may have misjudged the HB situation doesn't make my statement any less true. And I still think a lot of folks are being a bit paranoid here. Understandable - once burned, twice shy... However, I think (1) Having gone through the HB scenario we are all much more aware of any signals that might indicate movement away from Duke; and (2) We are more aware, in the AR situation, what the full picture is. That doesn't mean we will certainly get him, but I think we obviously have more connections and "ins" here, and would ultimately have a better read on him than with a close-to-the-vest HB and mom scenario. (3) Don't forget, he contacted us.

...some interesting stuff here, he confirms that unc is recruting him and that he gave them permission. he also goes on to say that uf and duke are defintly the front runners (heard simlar stuff concerning our friend HB regarding duke and kansas... saw how that panned out) but this is straight from the source so i guess u can take his word... wouldn't say we are a shoe in but that definitly puts my anxiety to rest for a while knowing that unc has some ground to make up but we've seen it happen before.

some of my own opinion if you guys dont mind... i dont think we really need rivers. i would take him in a second cuz he has crazy skill but we allready have a similar player in seth (pg that can put up points and hit crazy 3s) then we will have dawkins, thorton, irving... i mean where does rivers fit... he would probably start over everyone but irving but that kinda relegates all the other guys to the bench... assuming MG and/or Felix will be playing the 3.
That being said i would love to have but if we dont get him its no biggie... we really could use someone like quincy miller or johnny obryant an atheltic 4 that can shoot/drive/rebound/ and throw down some sick dunks.

More talent always > less talent.
More talent = more in-practice competition = better players all around.

Who knows how things work out 2-3 years hence, but I've said before that K plays the best 5 players, generally. So if three of the best 5 are Irving, Rivers and Curry, then so be it. Match-up problems are a two-way street. And just b/c a guy doesn't start, doesn't mean he doesn't get more minutes, or at least isn't part of the rotation, coming off of the bench. We should have such problems.

But the bottom line is that we should almost ALWAYS want the best players out there. And AR is one of the very best.

:D

Dukeknights
03-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Wait till the final rankings come out. You'll see what I mean ;)

Brandon Knight hasn't impressed me at all. He isn't near as athletic as everyone makes him out be.

If you are indicating that Kyrie Irving is going to take the #1 PG spot, then that would be awesome.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Honestly I could care less about the rankings and more about how they perform once they get here

El_Diablo
03-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Honestly I could care less about the rankings and more about how they perform once they get her.

This is a family site!

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Haha Sorry I meant here, I changed it.

Starter
04-01-2010, 01:13 AM
I've seen Irving play live a few times this year, and he simply would not have been a straight-to-NBA player. It's not a knock on him, he's a stunning talent, he just wouldn't have been ready, physically or otherwise, to do that. Even before the one-year rule, there weren't a whole lot of point guards who were, even among the ones that made the jump. What he IS physically ready to do is dominate the college ranks. I think Kyrie's a two-year player -- which is what Krzyzewski told everyone at St. Pat's -- and I think he's an outstanding addition to the program.

As for Rivers, I think his diary clearly indicates that he's still a Duke lean. Sorta seems like: "UNC came all the way down, so I'll technically consider them." Meanwhile, the guy's picking Duke in his brackets -- which I do every year -- and e-mailing Coach K -- which I do NOT do. This is someone pretty excited about what we've got going on. We'll see how it goes, but if Krzyzewski can win a national title, you have to feel pretty good about the way this will work out.

DevilHorns
04-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Will Nolan Smith's minutes actually go down next year?

We will have 5 playable guards next year (Smith, Thornton, Dawkins, Curry, Irving)

PG: Irving, Curry/Thornton
SG: Smith, Curry/Dawkins

I have to think that Nolan will play less than the full 38-40 next year, even though K has said he will be even a more integral part of the team next year. Maybe 3 guard sets? Unlikely with Singler, Mason, Miles, Felix, Hairston.

Not sure where Austin Rivers would fit guard-wise in terms of heavy minutes as a frosh.

Kedsy
04-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Will Nolan Smith's minutes actually go down next year?

We will have 5 playable guards next year (Smith, Thornton, Dawkins, Curry, Irving)

PG: Irving, Curry/Thornton
SG: Smith, Curry/Dawkins

I have to think that Nolan will play less than the full 38-40 next year, even though K has said he will be even a more integral part of the team next year. Maybe 3 guard sets? Unlikely with Singler, Mason, Miles, Felix, Hairston.

Not sure where Austin Rivers would fit guard-wise in terms of heavy minutes as a frosh.

Well, Rivers can't come until after Nolan leaves, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

I expect Nolan's minutes to drop dramatically -- we won't need anyone to play close to 40 minutes next year. Having said that, as a senior leader he will probably also be more integral to next year's team, which he can easily do playing 30 or so minutes per game. I also think we'll see some three guard sets (almost all the time if you consider Kyle a guard; maybe 10 minutes a game if you don't, depending on matchups).

licc85
04-01-2010, 02:30 AM
yea Brandon Knight

knight is so overrated, anybody who saw the McD's game could tell you that . . 3-11, 1-7 from 3. Kyrie is the top PG in the class, there is no doubt in anyone's mind at this point.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 02:33 AM
knight is so overrated, anybody who saw the McD's game could tell you that . . 3-11, 1-7 from 3. Kyrie is the top PG in the class, there is no doubt in anyone's mind at this point.

People have off games, I would judge a person's skills on one game. Look at Kyle last game on the offesive end.

licc85
04-01-2010, 03:02 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/19981

read that and then check the mock 2011 draft and look who is higher on the board.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 03:07 AM
People have off games, I would judge a person's skills on one game. Look at Kyle last game on the offesive end.

I meant Wouldn't and offensive sorry

PhillyDuke
04-01-2010, 04:17 AM
The true overlap in our backcourt next year is the point guard position. Irving is the bomb, but IMO he and Curry are equals. I think Curry will prove to be too valuable to sit on the bench and will push both Irving and Smith, especially Smith.

If Rivers likes Duke then he's just too good a player to pass up so we need to get him. We really need to focus on taking Quincy Miller from Kentucky's snare.

m g
04-01-2010, 09:25 AM
ehh . . seth might be as good as nolan in a couple of years, but he's no kyrie irving.

what has irving done that comes even remotely close to leading NCAA freshmen in scoring? he's just a recruit. what if he turns out to be Avery Bradley or Kenny Boynton as a freshman - a fine, very highly-regarded player who isn't doing absurd things in his freshman year?

SupaDave
04-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Not always true - see Greg Paulus, Jarvaris Crittendon, and Jrue Holiday.

SupaDave
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm quite enjoying his diaries. Austin picked Duke to win it all in his tourney bracket - and as someone who picks Duke EVERY year - that's saying something.

I also like the fact that Austin pointed out that Kentucky had great basketball players but that Duke had great SHOOTERS. As someone who distributes the ball it's almost always better to have finishers around you when you know you can penetrate.

Austin appears to be a very cerebral kid and the fact that he knows so many Duke recruits and players on a first name basis is a plus in my book.

MChambers
04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
According this article from Adam Zagoria, Strickland is being trained to be a point guard, which means that UNC will have three point guards next year:

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100331&content_id=9026696&oid=35023&vkey=50

I guess that makes sense, if you believe Bullock will be as good as advertised, and you've also got Leslie McDonald.

At the 3, UNC would have Barnes and Graves (and Henson, unless that experiment has ended).

It will be interesting to see how Ol' Roy allocates playing time. The only senior in the bunch would be Graves, so Rivers would have a lot of competition in 2011-2012 (as he would at Duke), assuming no other departures. Sounds like he is up to it, however.

CDu
04-01-2010, 11:30 AM
yea Brandon Knight

Whether or not Knight remains the #1 PG prospect is irrelevant. Irving is considered, by pretty much everyone, one of the top 2 PG prospects. And with regard to "one-and-done type," it doesn't really matter whether he's #1 or #2 at PG in the class.

There's no reason the #2 PG couldn't also be a one-and-done type. Heck - there's no reason the #15 PG couldn't be a one-and-done type. Remember. We got the #2 SF prospect in the 2003 class. He turned out to be a one-and-done. Cousins was the #2 big man, and he's likely one-and-done. Tyreke Evans was the #2 SG and he was one-and-done.

Conversely, being the #1 prospect at your position doesn't make you necessarily a one-and-done type, either.

And of course none of it means that Irving will or won't be a one-and-done for sure anyway. There are lots of factors that go into such a decision, only one of which is whether or not you are qualified to be a one-and-done.

-bdbd
04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Since our quality players at guard will almost dictate that we play a lot of 3-guard sets over the next few years, does anyone have any thoughts as to WHO among that group is best suited to play the "3" (and defend 6'6" WF's occasionally)?? As I said above, I expect K will go with his "best 5", in general, regardless of position, as much as possible.

I see the potential, in two years, for a starting line-up that includes Irving, Rivers, and Curry (or maybe Dawkins in that mix). Anyway, if we start three of these, who guards the SF's? Dawkins has the height/body for it, but do any of the others? Villanova, for one, has done darned well over the last few years with three stellar guards playing together.

:confused:

airowe
04-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Since our quality players at guard will almost dictate that we play a lot of 3-guard sets over the next few years, does anyone have any thoughts as to WHO among that group is best suited to play the "3" (and defend 6'6" WF's occasionally)?? As I said above, I expect K will go with his "best 5", in general, regardless of position, as much as possible.

I see the potential, in two years, for a starting line-up that includes Irving, Rivers, and Curry (or maybe Dawkins in that mix). Anyway, if we start three of these, who guards the SF's? Dawkins has the height/body for it, but do any of the others? Villanova, for one, has done darned well over the last few years with three stellar guards playing together.

As you said, Dawkins has the body for it. Rivers is 6'4" and Kyrieis 6'3".

I'm not worried about one guy at one position hurting us too bad. K has shown that he's pretty good at adjusting over the years. ;)

Ohiobobcat204
04-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I remember reading it earlier in the thread but can anyone remind me if Austin has an estimated time of when his decision will be made? I seem to be thinking before the start of the next school year? correct me if I'm wrong

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I remember reading it earlier in the thread but can anyone remind me if Austin has an estimated time of when his decision will be made? I seem to be thinking before the start of the next school year? correct me if I'm wrong

Yea, you're right, end of this summer, before school starts.

Bo_Spice
04-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Austin Rivers Via USATODAY (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/04/austin-rivers-is-committed-to-gators-but-interested-in-blue-devilsand-now-maybe-tar-heels/1)

North Carolina coach Roy Williams came down to my practice recently and that was pretty cool. I couldn't really talk to him because of NCAA rules, but he came down and watched my practice and he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

...Right now I'm still focusing on Duke and Florida, but I guess you could say that North Carolina is another school I'm considering too because they came down and they're recruiting me now. If I were to de-commit, those are the schools that I would look at; and maybe one or two more. But as of right now, Duke and Florida have the lead because I have a long history with those schools. North Carolina is really just coming into the picture now.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Austin Rivers Via USATODAY (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/04/austin-rivers-is-committed-to-gators-but-interested-in-blue-devilsand-now-maybe-tar-heels/1)

Seems like they got that from his highschool hoops diary.

Newton_14
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Seems like they got that from his highschool hoops diary.

They had to. It is word for word identical to his diary.

gumbomoop
04-01-2010, 11:36 PM

It is a bit confusing, an interesting puzzle for K to work on, and for us to speculate about, as we await Sat eve.

Here's my speculation for '10-'11 only, and which is based on neither a "worst case scenario" [both KS and NS leave], nor on a "best case scenario" [both stay], but on a "plausible scenario" [KS leaves, NS stays].

In this scenario, here's a sort of depth chart, with 10 who will get minutes:
C - MP1, MP2
PF - MP2, RK, JH
Wing - NS, DD, CF
Wing - SC, DD
PG - KI, NS, SC, TT

This is going to be an exciting team on O. I have no doubt whatsoever that KI is the realest of Real Deals. Yes, he'll have some TOs, but his handle, vision, court sense, speed, hops/hang, and shot are first-rate. I'm gonna hope NS takes KI under his wing, and flows with KI the way he has this season with JS. At any rate, there will be open 3s galore for NS, SC, and DD, as KI will cause havoc for opposing D.

But the puzzle is when Duke is in half-court D: who guards the 6'6"-6'7" SF-wing?
I speculate that, under certain circumstances, i.e., a particularly adept such SF-wing, we might expect to see a few more minutes for CF and just possibly JH and/or TT as defensive specialists. In this special circumstance, if DD can't play strong enough, I sure hope CF is not simply a "project," for it seems there might be a real need for some solid D from him next year. I'm guessing that TT might get some surprising minutes even against taller guys.

We might expect, too, to see more full court pressing D.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-02-2010, 12:19 AM
It is a bit confusing, an interesting puzzle for K to work on, and for us to speculate about, as we await Sat eve.

Here's my speculation for '10-'11 only, and which is based on neither a "worst case scenario" [both KS and NS leave], nor on a "best case scenario" [both stay], but on a "plausible scenario" [KS leaves, NS stays].

In this scenario, here's a sort of depth chart, with 10 who will get minutes:
C - MP1, MP2
PF - MP2, RK, JH
Wing - NS, DD, CF
Wing - SC, DD
PG - KI, NS, SC, TT

This is going to be an exciting team on O. I have no doubt whatsoever that KI is the realest of Real Deals. Yes, he'll have some TOs, but his handle, vision, court sense, speed, hops/hang, and shot are first-rate. I'm gonna hope NS takes KI under his wing, and flows with KI the way he has this season with JS. At any rate, there will be open 3s galore for NS, SC, and DD, as KI will cause havoc for opposing D.

But the puzzle is when Duke is in half-court D: who guards the 6'6"-6'7" SF-wing?
I speculate that, under certain circumstances, i.e., a particularly adept such SF-wing, we might expect to see a few more minutes for CF and just possibly JH and/or TT as defensive specialists. In this special circumstance, if DD can't play strong enough, I sure hope CF is not simply a "project," for it seems there might be a real need for some solid D from him next year. I'm guessing that TT might get some surprising minutes even against taller guys.

We might expect, too, to see more full court pressing D.

Carrick Felix will get run, no question about it. If Kyle leaves, he may crack the starting line up at some points in the season. I don't agree with you that we will see full court pressing D, unless of course you mean BY us. No way teams would press us with KI, Nolan, and Seth Curry. We would lite it up.

gumbomoop
04-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Carrick Felix will get run, no question about it. If Kyle leaves, he may crack the starting line up at some points in the season. I don't agree with you that we will see full court pressing D, unless of course you mean BY us. No way teams would press us with KI, Nolan, and Seth Curry. We would lite it up.

Sorry, I was unclear. I did mean that Duke might well press opponents pretty frequently next season. I certainly agree with you that others pressing us will get burned, by passes to open MPs for monster dunks, and by open spot-up 3s.

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Austin on ESPN2 right now.

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
tie game 51-51 Winter Park's ball. Austin with a chance to win it

9 seconds left.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I just started watching, so hopefully it goes into OT

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
over-time

way to be Austin's teammate...dribbling the ball out of bounds SMH.

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I just started watching, so hopefully it goes into OT

don't know how much you will get, when he gets the ball he is tightly double-teamed, and is being face-guarded without the ball by a Senior going to the Big East.

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 01:33 PM
that ball was literally half way down,

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Rivers is perfect from the line.

SupaDave
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Easy guys...

Starter
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
With Duke's championship in the books, I think it's time to visit what that could mean for the program. Nothing breeds further success like winning. Duke's name value was seriously boosted by this; talented recruits are going to want to be a part of a program like this. You'll still have the element that would rather have the instant gratification of a Kentucky, but there will be plenty that would like to be a part of something as fulfilling as a Duke title run.

Which brings me to Austin Rivers. I think Roy Williams would have a very difficult time competing with what Duke has just done. We know Rivers enjoys watching Duke; I'd imagine we'll see a diary entry very soon detailing how much he enjoyed the game and congratulating the team. I would guess he has already e-mailed congratulations to Krzyzewski. And I would have to think Duke is in excellent shape with Rivers when he considers programs for the merits they offer -- more so now than ever. To paraphrase Cam'Ron, this could be a very hot summer.

This could be the beginning of a brand new golden era for Krzyzewski -- possibly the last one, considering he's 63 years old. And Rivers would be an incredible addition to this very special period of time.

LSanders
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Which brings me to Austin Rivers. I think Roy Williams would have a very difficult time competing with what Duke has just done.

We'll see ... None of us may like used car salesmen, but there's a reason their shtick works. Roy may not be able to shine K's shoes as a coach, but there's no doubt he's a terrific salesman ... Same with Calimari.

I know deciding where to go to school is a complex decision for most kids. Every time I look at a potential recruit, I think about Shaun Livingston. It seemed like he was in the bag ... Until his posse convinced him that he was too good and should jump directly to the League. His grandfather was quoted as being disgusted because he felt Shaun would not only have become a much better player but also that K would turn him into a man.

The high character kids who connect with K recognize they'll be getting a lot more than a premier basketball education, and they crave that leadership. This is not meant to be a slam against Wall, but I don't get the feeling he was all that interested in using college to help him develop into a better person. Compare him to Battier.

BUT ... I do think this team and this championship will help push some of the "right" kids, who are struggling with offers from multiple high quality programs and coaches in our direction. I get the strong impression that Doc falls into the category of a parent or caring more about his son's education and development than he does about X's and O's. So, from that standpoint, I think K stands a terrific chance of signing him.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about the presence of Kyrie, Dre, Seth, and Thornton. There are only so many slices that can be cut from the number-of-minutes pie.

Starter
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I hear you, it's just that this looked like a kid who wanted to come anyway. All K would have to say is, "I want you to be a part of moments like this," and nobody can trump that. With Barnes, there's no question the Jordan event was a huge advantage for Carolina. But so was the fact that they had just won a championship. Obviously anything can happen, but I'd say that with last night's victory, I'd feel better about the Rivers recruitment than at any other point.

theAlaskanBear
04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I just think we need to get some footage of Roy's postgame after Carolina lost to Dayton, when he admits he didnt coach his team well this season!!! Then montage that in with e Duke NC victory run!

Indoor66
04-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I just think we need to get some footage of Roy's postgame after Carolina lost to Dayton, when he admits he didnt coach his team well this season!!! Then montage that in with e Duke NC victory run!

I don't think that negative recruiting is K's style....

JasonEvans
04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't think that negative recruiting is K's style....

Agreed, though a certain other ACC coach especially enjoys negative recruiting when it comes to Duke.

-Jason "nuf said" Evans

gam7
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
After Carolina won the 1993 championship, I believe he was in Rasheed Wallace's living room less than 24 hours after the final game. I recall that that move made a huge impression on Rasheed, and it should have.

I think it would be a wise move for K and the assistants to visit our top prospects over the next 24-48 hours. I would imagine that when you watch a guy raising the trophy on Monday and he's in your house on Wednesday, it has to send a powerful message to a family. I'm thinking Rivers, Q. Miller and Tokoto would be good guys to visit. Strike while the iron is hot.

That_Dude
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Do you guys really think that he's interested in UNC?? He is looking at them as a courtesy imo, becuase coach Roy called and they are a good program. Naturally, he's not gonna turn them away, but I think this is between Duke and Florida. If he decommits soon, it's gonna be Duke. But the longer he just continues to look without decommitting, I think that may be a good sign for Florida.

It's hard to really know. All these coaches have won championships recently, so I think it's all about what school is gonna be the best fit for him when HE is on campus. What school can put the best complimentary pieces around him for the 4 years that HE's gonna be there. That is the important thing, as what you do 2 years before he arrives can be fools gold... Look at Florida and UNC as an example. Both had great success, and both also had alot of turnover following that success and now in a rebuilding state. Winning definitely doesn't hurt Duke at all, but i'm sure Austin isn't just looking at who is winning right now. All of these coaches can win and have won recently, so Austin and his family I think just need to try and use foresight to look at where the best fit we be in 2 years.

DevilHorns
04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
To be honest, I'm more concerned about the presence of Kyrie, Dre, Seth, and Thornton. There are only so many slices that can be cut from the number-of-minutes pie.

Dre is big and we may use him more as a 3 instead of a 2.
Kyrie I believe will stay 2 years max.
Seth, who knows? Honestly this is the biggest questionmark in terms of what to expect. He has been so highly lauded in practice. I honestly think he is going to wow the socks off people next year.
Thornton, who knows?

When Austin would potentially come in, we'd likely have Kyrie as a 2nd year running the point, Seth starting as SG, and Dre playing the 3. Thornton backs Kyrie, and Austin splits min with Seth. There's space... I think... especially if Kyrie leaves after 1.

BD80
04-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Agreed, though a certain other ACC coach especially enjoys negative recruiting when it comes to Duke.

-Jason "nuf said" Evans

You are not suggesting that the trash spewing from the mouths of heels in the McD's AA video with Kyrie could have come from ol' roy?

The "old" NCs at Duke compared to the TWO "new" NCs within the last five years at unc. That was so yesterday :D

DukeSean
04-06-2010, 11:36 PM
I think it would be a wise move for K and the assistants to visit our top prospects over the next 24-48 hours. I would imagine that when you watch a guy raising the trophy on Monday and he's in your house on Wednesday, it has to send a powerful message to a family. I'm thinking Rivers, Q. Miller and Tokoto would be good guys to visit. Strike while the iron is hot.

I would be shocked if K hadn't already called at least AR within 24 hrs of winning. Pretty sure he's miles ahead of what we're thinking he ought to do.

LSanders
04-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Pretty sure he's miles ahead of what we're thinking he ought to do.

Amen ... In K we trust!!

-bdbd
04-07-2010, 01:15 AM
I would be shocked if K hadn't already called at least AR within 24 hrs of winning. Pretty sure he's miles ahead of what we're thinking he ought to do.

I was thinking AR, Quincy, et al probably got brief calls over this past weekend or even right after the NC game (say an hour later). It makes quite an impression on a kid that this guy, at the center of this great event you've just been watching on TV, in a very moving and important scenario, wants to share that moment with you.

Did everyone hear the overnight rating was 16.0 - higher than any other NC game since another Duke one back in 1999. I guess the NCAA-CBS-refs conspiracy was money well spent then... Make sure we put that back into the budget for next year guys!!

:rolleyes:

juise
04-07-2010, 02:22 AM
right after the NC game (say an hour later)

Recruit's mom: Hello?
Duke coach: Hi, may I speak with [recruit]?
Recruit's mom: Ummm... it's 1AM... on a school night.
Duke coach: Yeah, but we just won the national championship and I wanted to give [recruit] a shout out.
Recruit's mom: ...

I'm not sure I can see that playing out much better than my dramatization above. :p

DukeBlueNV
04-07-2010, 04:59 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/06/doc-rivers-says-florida-still-frontrunner-for-austin/#more-31375

dunno what this means... is UF really the leader or is he just saying that cuz rivers is still technically commited to florida... cant really say "duke is the leader" while remaining commited to another school. doc does say:

“Florida is still the front-runner AND DUKE, it’s those two."

and about dukes championship's impact on his recuitment...

“It has to impact him, but I don’t know if that will make a decision,” Doc said. “But it’s an impressive program.”

if seth is as good as advertised and kyrie stays 2 years, along with dawkins i think we will have plenty of guard depth so we dont NEED him but the more talent the better... and as long as we dont see him twice a year at unc i dont really care if he stays with UF... but with all that being said COME TO DUKE AUSTIN!

SupaDave
04-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Recruit's mom: Hello?
Duke coach: Hi, may I speak with [recruit]?
Recruit's mom: Ummm... it's 1AM... on a school night.
Duke coach: Yeah, but we just won the national championship and I wanted to give [recruit] a shout out.
Recruit's mom: ...

I'm not sure I can see that playing out much better than my dramatization above. :p

You've obviously never had Coach K call your house. That's a call you and your parents take!! Especially since you are a basketball junkie most likely...

Icarus09
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=That_Dude;394294]Do you guys really think that he's interested in UNC?? He is looking at them as a courtesy imo, becuase coach Roy called and they are a good program. Naturally, he's not gonna turn them away, but I think this is between Duke and Florida.

While I think you're correct this is also exactly what we thought when Ole' Roy first came knocking on Barnes' door last year.

The_Greater_Blue
04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Link is to a paid site...but still interesting nontheless.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=960615&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f960 615.html

Also, he is listed as having a Duke offer now....

_Gary
04-08-2010, 10:04 AM
So he's officially decommitted to Florida and has opened up his recruitment. I guess that he'd do that was the worst kept secret for months now. At least "officially" it's more than just Duke he's opened to though, if I understand things correctly. I'm not gonna ever count any more chickens before they hatch after everyone and their grandmother told us for months that we had the kid that shall not be named. But at least he's made it official and I have to believe this means Florida is pretty much out of the picture. I also have to believe his dad will have some major influence in his life (duh). I like our chances, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

JohnGalt
04-08-2010, 10:07 AM
So he's officially decommitted to Florida and has opened up his recruitment. I guess that he'd do that was the worst kept secret for months now. At least "officially" it's more than just Duke he's opened to though, if I understand things correctly. I'm not gonna ever count any more chickens before they hatch after everyone and their grandmother told us for months that we had the kid that shall not be named. But at least he's made it official and I have to believe this means Florida is pretty much out of the picture. I also have to believe his dad will have some major influence in his life (duh). I like our chances, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

He says its between Duke, Florida, and UNC with the potentiality for others in the future.

roywhite
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
He says its between Duke, Florida, and UNC with the potentiality for others in the future.

No inside info but one observation from following both FB and BB recruiting....when a prospect de-commits from his initial choice, yet says Original Choice U. is still one of the schools he's interested in....uh, you seldom see him go back to Original Choice.

Positive development for Duke.

JohnGalt
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
No inside info but one observation from following both FB and BB recruiting....when a prospect de-commits from his initial choice, yet still says Original Choice U. is still one of the schools he's interested in....uh, you seldom see him go back to Original Choice.

Positive development for Duke.

Right, I should have put quotes around it. I was just relaying what Austin said b/c it didn't appear Gary could read the article.

BD80
04-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Not that this will impact the 2011-2012 team (when Rivers will begin college), but it does give some indication about the state of affairs at Fla:

Forward Alex Tyus, the team's leading rebounder, plans to make himself eligible for the NBA draft. ...

Tyus is the latest in a long list of players to leave Florida early in recent years. Guard Ray Shipman announced his intention to transfer two weeks ago, becoming the eighth player to leave coach Billy Donovan's program in the last two years.

... The 6-foot-8, 220-pounder averaged 11.8 points and 6.9 rebounds this season. It's unclear whether he would even get drafted since he has struggled to play defense and is considered too small to play power forward in the NBA. It's also unlikely he would improve his draft stock by staying in school.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5065292

_Gary
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Right, I should have put quotes around it. I was just relaying what Austin said b/c it didn't appear Gary could read the article.

You're correct. I couldn't read the article so I was trying to make due with what little I knew up to this point. Gotta say I absolutely hate that he's got UNC listed now. :(

miramar
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I should hope we would be in a favorable position at this point...

http://www.onlygators.com/04/08/2010/austin-rivers-decommits-opens-up-recruitment/

roywhite
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
You're correct. I couldn't read the article so I was trying to make due with what little I knew up to this point. Gotta say I absolutely hate that he's got UNC listed now. :(

Another link from a non-premium site.

http://www.onlygators.com/04/08/2010/austin-rivers-decommits-opens-up-recruitment/

There should be no question that the Duke Blue Devils’ recent success in winning the 2010 NCAA Championship made some impact on Rivers’ decision.

“Honestly, I picked Duke from the beginning. I really did,” Rivers said. “They have Coach K and he was probably the difference. I mean the whole Final Four was crazy. The whole tournament was, but he was able to guide them to a championship.”

Gary, I understand your point about UNC being involved, but I just don't fear them any longer. Is there any doubt after this season as to who is the better coach between Coach K and Roy Williams?

Yeah, they are attractive to recruits, but let the kids look at both UNC and Duke and make their own decisions. If they choose UNC, it probably is a better fit. After seeing more of Harrison Barnes, I'm okay with him going to UNC.

We'll get our guys (which IMO will include Austin Rivers) and they'll get their guys. Bring it on.

_Gary
04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Gary, I understand your point about UNC being involved, but I just don't fear them any longer. Is there any doubt after this season as to who is the better coach between Coach K and Roy Williams?

Yeah, they are attractive to recruits, but let the kids look at both UNC and Duke and make their own decisions. If they choose UNC, it probably is a better fit. After seeing more of Harrison Barnes, I'm okay with him going to UNC.

We'll get our guys (which IMO will include Austin Rivers) and they'll get their guys. Bring it on.

You know what? You're correct. I'm changing my position to say I'm not gonna sweat it at all. I believe Austin is the right fit for Duke, and visa versa.

As you said, there's no need to worry about it after a year like this. Thanks!

gwlaw99
04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Will having Nolan, Seth and Andre at the 2 already affect his decision?

BD80
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Nolan will have graduated.

Please pee elsewhere.

roywhite
04-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Austin Rivers would not overlap with Nolan. In Austin's first season 2011-12, Seth and Andre would be juniors. I think we'll see Seth and Andre as very good college players, but I think Austin Rivers is confident he'll be able to play.

jimsumner
04-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Rivers is in the class of 2011, so Nolan Smith will be gone by then.

Rivers is a 1/2, Dawkins a 2/3. Rivers is on record as stating that he wants to go to a school with NCAA title-talent. He's not likely to be dissauded by other guards. He's that good.

theAlaskanBear
04-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I should feel bad for Billy D.....

....but I just can't. Florida fans should have let him split for Orlando. The whole thing was a fiasco. You cant let a coach come back after that nonsense. Of course, fortunately for the Magic, Billy D is stuck in college, and the Magic have a REAL coach, SVG.

Vasherized
04-08-2010, 12:10 PM
So our Austin Rivers will decommit from Florida because he wants to go to Duke story makes a little more sense now, huh?

But it came from an unsubstantiated blog by a guy named ballerjunkie, so ...

Genedoc
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
After previous events, I'm assuming he's going to UNC and will be pleasantly surprised if he signs with Duke.

JohnGalt
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
So our Austin Rivers will decommit from Florida because he wants to go to Duke story makes a little more sense now, huh?

But it came from an unsubstantiated blog by a guy named ballerjunkie, so ...

Actually it came from Dave Telep on Scout.com, arguably the most reputable recruiting guru on the planet.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/

juise
04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
After previous events, I'm assuming he's going to UNC and will be pleasantly surprised if he signs with Duke.

How about (after previous events) you assume he commits to the defending national champions? :D

JohnGalt
04-08-2010, 12:18 PM

By previous events do you mean K winning the NC and thus proving his coaching acumen is greater than Huck's?

Prince Harry and Austin Rivers differ substantially not only in play, but in their recruiting stories, as well.

COYS
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Rivers is in the class of 2011, so Nolan Smith will be gone by then.

Rivers is a 1/2, Dawkins a 2/3. Rivers is on record as stating that he wants to go to a school with NCAA title-talent. He's not likely to be dissauded by other guards. He's that good.

Good point. Rivers also has more size than Curry which would allow more lineup flexibility with Curry, Dawkins, and Rivers all capable of playing together. If we have Irving's services for two years, there might be a little more competition at the 1/2 spot, however that situation would also mean that Duke would definitely have title-talent in the backcourt.

It's also important to keep in mind that plenty of super-frosh have played an important roll off the bench on dominant teams and still become high draft picks. Duke's own Maggette did it in 1999. Marvin Williams pulled it off down the road. As K showed in 2008, he is more than able to find playing time for many different guards. Scheyer came off the bench, but was still a star on that team and K managed to get Scheyer, Paulus, Nelson, and Henderson in the game. I know that our personnel was different that season, but it still illustrates that having a ton of guards does not necessarily mean that some won't get playing time.

Starter
04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
With Duke's championship in the books, I think it's time to visit what that could mean for the program. Nothing breeds further success like winning. ... And I would have to think Duke is in excellent shape with Rivers when he considers programs for the merits they offer -- more so now than ever. To paraphrase Cam'Ron, this could be a very hot summer.

That's what I was sayin', man. I like the timing of this. Duke wins the national title and Rivers immediately decommits? I'm not saying we're a lock here. But this kid likes us, we like him, I feel pretty good about it. Let's see how it goes.

And there's no chance he'd come off the bench. I think Krzyzewski would probably find a way to start arguably the best player on the team. I say arguably because Kyrie could still be here.

Vasherized
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Actually it came from Dave Telep on Scout.com, arguably the most reputable recruiting guru on the planet.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/

That he is. But our info was posted three weeks ago.

Our source heard directly from the family that Florida was out and Rivers was heavily leaning towards Duke.

Telep is reporting the news after the fact. Anybody can do that.

The best recruiting info is usually reported before the announcement actually happens, even if nobody believes it. :)

johnb
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
5 star players don't worry about PT (they know they'll get it), and, anyway, K is flexible enough to use 3 guards throughout the game if they're the best players. If we start 3 guys who are 6'2", that could cause us problems, but if they're all better than the guys who are guarding them (and that would almost always be the case with that collection of talent), that's a nice problem to have, especially when the bigs are the guys we have on the team.

And, from what I know of Rivers, he'd enjoy the inevitable competition in practice and enjoy winning lots and lots of games before heading to the NBA. Neither of those would be as guaranteed at Florida as they would at Duke.

DukieTiger
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Our source heard directly from the family that Florida was out and Rivers was heavily leaning towards Duke.

The best recruiting info is usually reported before the announcement actually happens, even if nobody believes it. :)

...so if he's leaning heavily toward Duke, why begin adding other schools after he has said for the past 6 months that it was just Duke and Florida?

JohnGalt
04-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Really it's semantics, but Rivers didn't officially decommit from Florida until last night. Opening his recruiting but remaining officially committed to Florida (which he did weeks ago) is different than decommitting. Now, ethically speaking, anyone and everyone whom he did not already give express permission (i.e. Duke and perhaps UNC) to recruit him, can recruit him. It will be interesting to see who gets into the fold.

Duvall
04-08-2010, 12:53 PM

In my experience, the only recruiting information comes after an official commitment. The rest is just rumor, speculation and Kremlinology.

uh_no
04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/04/08/rivers-officially-decommits-from-florida/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+chronicleblogs/sports+(The+Chronicle's+Sports+Blog)

miramar
04-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I should feel bad for Billy D.....

....but I just can't. Florida fans should have let him split for Orlando. The whole thing was a fiasco. You cant let a coach come back after that nonsense. Of course, fortunately for the Magic, Billy D is stuck in college, and the Magic have a REAL coach, SVG.

Billy the Kid's stock has dropped faster than General Motors. He was the hottest young coach in the country only four years ago. It's interesting to see what the NIT does to a guy's reputation...

COYS
04-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Billy the Kid's stock has dropped faster than General Motors. He was the hottest young coach in the country only four years ago. It's interesting to see what the NIT does to a guy's reputation...

Makes you appreciate K even more. K won two titles with essentially one team, same as Billy. Then K went on to win two more titles with two other teams with a few almost-title teams sprinkled in and a whole lot of ACC dominance and national relevance. It's not easy to sustain success. That's probably one of the biggest reasons Rivers decided to look more closely at Duke.

NF Devil
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I believe he was quoted saying he reopened his recruiting to Duke,Florida and UNC. I like that he put us first on his list. Gives me high hopes. What are the chances he waits to see what Kyrie and HBarnes do after one season?

AisanderD
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
He just really likes keeping lists in alphabetical order.

Kewlswim
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Hi,

Billy Donovan won back to back championships and was mentioned in the same breath as Coach K, Coach Knight, etc. This year we saw a coach who might be wonderful in the long run or he might not be. One FF run is good, but let's not get carried away. Let's see what Coach Stevens does in the coming seasons.

I remember, as a 49er fan, how when the St. Louis Rams won a Super Bowl and everyone was talking about how they were going to be good for many years to come. No longer the "Lambs," but they had really become the Rams. Er um, maybe not.

GO DUKE!

uh_no
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
billy donovan got lucky with one monster recruiting class, they got lucky that Uconn got taken down by george mason, billy d won and his team decided to stay another year, so he won again.....then they left and billy D is left with what he always has been, a mediocre coach who got lucky with 1 class

Duvall
04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
they got lucky that Uconn got taken down by george mason

That UConn "team" wasn't beating anyone.

CameronBornAndBred
04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
they got lucky that Uconn got taken down by george mason
That's like saying Duke got lucky that WVU beat Kentucky, or that Duke was lucky because they didn't have to face Kansas. The better teams advanced, plain and simple.

airowe
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
That UConn "team" wasn't beating anyone.

Except laptop owners everywhere. ZING!

ajgoodfella7
04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Great news that Rivers officially de-committed from Florida. I would venture a guess that Duke is now the most likely destination for Rivers if they can hold off UNC. Almost always when a recruit de-committs, he chooses not to re-committ to the same school.

DevilDawg
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
billy donovan got lucky with one monster recruiting class, they got lucky that Uconn got taken down by george mason, billy d won and his team decided to stay another year, so he won again.....then they left and billy D is left with what he always has been, a mediocre coach who got lucky with 1 class

Yeah, but I'd put Billy Donovan in the same breat as Roy and Dean.

johnb
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
That's like saying Duke got lucky that WVU beat Kentucky, or that Duke was lucky because they didn't have to face Kansas. The better teams advanced, plain and simple.

That's like saying that Kentucky and Kansas aren't, overall, better teams than the teams they lost to. I'd say they are better. Just like the '99 team was the best team their year, and the '86 team was better than Louisville. All those seem true, including that we were a little lucky not to face Kentucky or Kansas this year; I think those teams got caught looking past their opponents...

But luck is a significant part of the deal--especially since we don't play a best of 7 series...

pfrduke
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
That's like saying that Kentucky and Kansas aren't, overall, better teams than the teams they lost to. I'd say they are better. Just like the '99 team was the best team their year, and the '86 team was better than Louisville. All those seem true, including that we were a little lucky not to face Kentucky or Kansas this year; I think those teams got caught looking past their opponents...

But luck is a significant part of the deal--especially since we don't play a best of 7 series...

I actually believe that West Virginia is better than Kentucky, but now we're just picking at nits (and sliding a bit off topic for the thread). I agree, of course, with your overall point.

DukeBlueNV
04-08-2010, 10:49 PM
no big suprise here...

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2010/04/kentucky-in-on-austin-rivers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JodyDemling-RecruitingBlog+%28Jody+Demling+-+Recruiting+blog%29

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-08-2010, 10:51 PM
no big suprise here...

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2010/04/kentucky-in-on-austin-rivers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JodyDemling-RecruitingBlog+%28Jody+Demling+-+Recruiting+blog%29
Yea we should have expected that, KU as well sooner or later.

juise
04-08-2010, 11:01 PM
no big suprise here...

I like that the reason is "the success they've had with their guards." First off, if he's talking about Kentucky, you've basically got this year's class (Wall/Bledsoe) and Rondo (who was not wildly successful in college). Joe Crawford had a nice run in his last year, but apparently wasn't ready for the league.

If guard success is referring to Calipari, I'm not sure I agree with that either. He essentially takes the number 1 guard in the nation, gives them the freedom to have an NBA audition throughout the season and then they get drafted in the the same position that they would have had they been able to go pro out of high school. So, while Calipari certainly hasn't hurt his players' stock, I'm not sure I see how he's made them successful either.

DevilHorns
04-08-2010, 11:53 PM
In the end, I think Austin will likely pick his school based upon playing time (on top of looking for schools and coaches that have a proven record with guards).

We will be looking at Seth, Kyrie, and Thornton as our guards the year after next. I'm not sure how long Austin is planning on staying in college, or if he's even thinking that way about college, but he will likely be in a situation playing behind seth his first year. I think Cal may be able to tempt him with a starter's role (as he did with Bledsoe playing alongside Wall instead of behind him). If Austin is looking to stay 2-3 years I think Duke can be an incredible location for him. If he is hoping to stay 1 year, eh, maybe not.

Just my thoughts.

Kedsy
04-09-2010, 12:27 AM
In the end, I think Austin will likely pick his school based upon playing time (on top of looking for schools and coaches that have a proven record with guards).

We will be looking at Seth, Kyrie, and Thornton as our guards the year after next. I'm not sure how long Austin is planning on staying in college, or if he's even thinking that way about college, but he will likely be in a situation playing behind seth his first year. I think Cal may be able to tempt him with a starter's role (as he did with Bledsoe playing alongside Wall instead of behind him). If Austin is looking to stay 2-3 years I think Duke can be an incredible location for him. If he is hoping to stay 1 year, eh, maybe not.

Just my thoughts.

It always astounds me when people say things like "if [fill in name of top 5 recruit here] comes here he'll be coming off the bench." Top 5 recruits don't come off the bench. If he came here and Kyrie and Seth were still here and both merited starting (which I agree is likely if they're both here), then we'd play a three guard lineup.

Put another way, there's absolutely no way Austin Rivers is worried about starting or playing time.

That_Dude
04-09-2010, 12:45 AM

Duke had an easier path this year than either Florida team did, bro. UF had to beat a #1 and #2 seed each year to win both of their titles... Duke didn't even have to play a #1 seed this year... Look in the mirror.

And those title teams only had ONE 5* player on the roster... That's right, only one, on the ENTIRE roster. There was no monster recruiting class that you speak of... It was just a hell of a team. If you think Billy is a mediocre coach, you must have amnesia. How many 5* players did Duke have on this title team, 5 or 6?? C'mon man, you sound dumb and uninformed. Congrats on the title, but there's no need to make stuff up just so that you can bash a great coach. That was just a special team that wasn't even ranked coming into the '06 season. There's a reason Billy's at the top of everyone's list every year.

Makes you appreciate K even more. K won two titles with essentially one team, same as Billy. Then K went on to win two more titles with two other teams with a few almost-title teams sprinkled in and a whole lot of ACC dominance and national relevance. It's not easy to sustain success. That's probably one of the biggest reasons Rivers decided to look more closely at Duke.

No disrespect to coach K, but Billy has been coaching 16 years compared to 36 from coach K.... Donovan has already been to 3 title games and won 2 as head coach at Florida... K got his 3rd ring @ Duke in his 28th season as a head coach... so that means Billy has 12 years to try and keep pace?? He's also taken 2 completely different squads to the title game (2000,2006,2007)... So it's not like he just came out of nowhere in 2006-2007... I dont quite see what you're trying to say about coach Donovan sustaining success.

As for the last few years, Donovan lost his top 3 assistant coaches in a 2 yr period(05-06), and then lost his top 6 rotation players to graduation & the NBA in '07... Why did he almost go to the NBA? Because after all turnover(with both staff & team), it's pretty much like he had to rebuild everything @ UF anyway. It was tempting to just take the oppurtunity in the NBA, but I guess he had a change of heart.

These last 3 years he's had to train all of these new coaches(some worked out, some didn't), and he's also had to reload the team guys who fit his system... It's been tough. Our best sharp shooter has been out with a knee injury for 2yrs(Allen), 2 big men barely stepped on the court due to injuries and ended up transferring(Sutton,Vargas), 2 best players Speights & Calathes went pro, and then you got your handfull of transfers for miscellaneous reasons(ie., displinary,homesick, or upset w/PT)... A couple unpredictable breaks, injuries, unexpected transfers, and guys going pro, and you got the last 3 years @ Florida. Now that there's some stability in the staff and all the key guys are coming back for once, it should be a productive season for Florida.

Johnboy
04-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Duke had an easier path this year than either Florida team did, bro. UF had to beat a #1 and #2 seed each year to win both of their titles... Duke didn't even have to play a #1 seed this year...

Wait - we played West Virginia, the team that was supposedly gypped when it didn't get our #1 spot.

. . . I'm with you in the argument, though. The teams don't pick their opponents in the NCAAs. For example, we Dukies said in 2000 that UNC got incredible breaks to get to the FF where they ran into and were beaten by . . . Florida - the same team that beat us. Conversely, in 1986, I remember watching UNC lose to Louisville and thinking "I want no part of them!" It's hard to beat a hot team in the NCAA's, and you may run into one at any time. It's all about matchups, and when you run into the hot teams (if you're not one of them).

Kfanarmy
04-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Duke had an easier path this year than either Florida team did, bro. UF had to beat a #1 and #2 seed each year to win both of their titles... Duke didn't even have to play a #1 seed this year... Look in the mirror.

Do some research before making statements: Average seeding of the past years: One FL team had a harder road, the other easier. and No Donovon isn't a genius, IMO.

2010 … 38 … 6.33 … Duke ( 16 . 8 . 4 . 3 . 2 . 5 )
2009 … 35 … 5.83 … North Carolina ( 16 . 8 . 4 . 2 . 3 . 2 )
2008 … 48 … 8.00 … Kansas ( 16 . 8 . 12 . 10 . 1 . 1 )
2007 … 36 … 6.00 … Florida ( 16 . 9 . 5 . 3 . 2 . 1 )
2006 … 46 … 7.67 … Florida ( 14 . 11 . 7 . 1 . 11 . 2 )

That_Dude
04-09-2010, 01:51 AM
^Im not saying Donovan is a genious, just that he wasn't a 'mediocre coach'...

And which road was easier is all relative... Duke had a 5 seed, but w/o their best player... and 2 seed, but who lost their starting PG... It makes the perception of their path abit weaker than what the #'s express... It's not your fault that other teams had injuries and you stayed healthy tho. I think the perception is still that it kind of took away from 'awe factor' alittle bit.. You guys won tho, and nobody can take that away from you so that's what matters...

What i'm saying is, let's not act like only Duke championships are special... That one guy was acting like Florida just hauled 5 McDAA's and convinced them to stay for 3 years... Corey Brewer was the only 5* prospect on those teams. Every championship takes both luck and skill. Duke definitely had a favorable draw with Purdue, had a touch of luck with Baylor, and they showed their high skill against WVU... It all came down to the title game, and they took it. Thats all that matters.

ice-9
04-09-2010, 06:52 AM

And which road was easier is all relative... Duke had a 5 seed, but w/o their best player... and 2 seed, but who lost their starting PG... It makes the perception of their path abit weaker than what the #'s express... It's not your fault that other teams had injuries and you stayed healthy tho. I think the perception is still that it kind of took away from 'awe factor' alittle bit.. You guys won tho, and nobody can take that away from you so that's what matters...

What i'm saying is, let's not act like only Duke championships are special... That one guy was acting like Florida just hauled 5 McDAA's and convinced them to stay for 3 years... Corey Brewer was the only 5* prospect on those teams. Every championship takes both luck and skill. Duke definitely had a favorable draw with Purdue, had a touch of luck with Baylor, and they showed their high skill against WVU... It all came down to the title game, and they took it. Thats all that matters.

Relax, I think that poster's main point is that Coach K is special because he's been able to sustain his success over a long period of time.

Coach Donovan is obviously one of the top coaches in the country, but even he is not immune to the ups and downs of college basketball.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Does anyone find it interesting he commited to Florida right after they won their championships, Well guess who just won a championship as well. DUKE but Unc also won one so idk.

JohnGalt
04-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Do some research before making statements: Average seeding of the past years: One FL team had a harder road, the other easier. and No Donovon isn't a genius, IMO.

2010 … 38 … 6.33 … Duke ( 16 . 8 . 4 . 3 . 2 . 5 )
2009 … 35 … 5.83 … North Carolina ( 16 . 8 . 4 . 2 . 3 . 2 )
2008 … 48 … 8.00 … Kansas ( 16 . 8 . 12 . 10 . 1 . 1 )
2007 … 36 … 6.00 … Florida ( 16 . 9 . 5 . 3 . 2 . 1 )
2006 … 46 … 7.67 … Florida ( 14 . 11 . 7 . 1 . 11 . 2 )

Although I agree with your premise that Duke's road to the title wasn't as easy as it was made out to be, I'm not sure you can support it by just averaging seed numbers.

For example, would you rather play a #1 and #10 seed or two #5 seeds? The two #5 seeds are the lower average, but I'm willing to bet you'd rather go that route than through a #1 seed.

DeBlueDevil
04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Open a K vs. Donovan Thread for all of that!!!!! It's an exciting time with Austin officially de-commiting and you guys are on this thread talking about K and Donovan...who cares right now K has 4 chips.....please back to Austin!!!! Thank you :)

jipops
04-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Just my thoughts.

Not only is Austin a top 5 recruit, he's also a combo guard. There is absolutely no way he is going to struggle for playing time, no matter where he decides to go. He can play primarily at the wing or spell a pg when a player goes to the bench.

I think K has displayed quite well with both Scheyer and Smith that a guard can just be a guard.

slower
04-09-2010, 08:39 AM

And which road was easier is all relative... Duke had a 5 seed, but w/o their best player...

Which 5 seed and player are you referring to?

Channing
04-09-2010, 08:43 AM

Just my thoughts.

I think its highly unlikely Thornton is ahead of Rivers when Rivers would come in. If he is, great, it means K has found an absolute diamond in the rough. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is gbinijie (sp?), also a combo guard. A player of Austin's caliber finds playing time.

kong123
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, but I'd put Billy Donovan in the same breat as Roy and Dean.
and what is that supposed to mean?

JohnGalt
04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I think its highly unlikely Thornton is ahead of Rivers when Rivers would come in. If he is, great, it means K has found an absolute diamond in the rough. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is gbinijie (sp?), also a combo guard. A player of Austin's caliber finds playing time.

Everything I've seen suggests he's more of a 2/3 wing forward than a 1/2 combo guard. He seems to be built like Nate James and can be used as an undersized, but capable SF in a smaller, quicker lineup or can play as a big 2 in a bigger line-up. I have a hard time believing Austin would base his decision on coming to Duke on Michael Gbinije. They play different positions and would serve much different roles on the team. The fact that Irving, Thornton, and Curry will be on the team would be more of a roadblock - although I would argue not much of one - than Gbinije, IMO.

jipops
04-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Michael Gbinijie is not a combo. He's a big wing.

Cockabeau
04-09-2010, 09:01 AM
No disrespect to coach K, but Billy has been coaching 16 years compared to 36 from coach K.... Donovan has already been to 3 title games and won 2 as head coach at Florida...

Donovan is so overrated as a coach. He was lucky to even get into the tournament this year.
That Noah/Brewer/Green/Horford thing was lightning in a bottle that inflated Donovan's coaching acumen. Just like Lawson/Felton/Hans was for Roy.

Teams with that much talent don't have much of a core due to NBA early depatures. But when they do stay, they have a huge edge on everyone else in the field. Talent w/ experience > coaching.

As we have seen with Roy this year and Donovan the last 5, both are over rated coaches/great recruiters

rotogod00
04-09-2010, 09:03 AM
agree with everyone who's saying that rivers won't have a problem finding PT. his talent will demand it.

see 4 guys essentially splitting the 120 minutes between the PG, SG, and SF positions....irving, dawkins, curry, and rivers. 25-35 minutes on a championship-level team should be plenty. and if irving leaves after 1 year (which is a possibility based on talent alone), he'd get to play even more. actually in this scenario, thornton should be able to get some more quality minutes. he might be more the odd man out that 1st year if rivers comes and irving stays.

rotogod00
04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
agree with everyone who's saying that rivers won't have a problem finding PT. his talent will demand it.

see 4 guys essentially splitting the 120 minutes between the PG, SG, and SF positions....irving, dawkins, curry, and rivers. 25-35 minutes on a championship-level team should be plenty. and if irving leaves after 1 year (which is a possibility based on talent alone), he'd get to play even more. actually in this scenario, thornton should be able to get some more quality minutes. he might be more the odd man out that 1st year if rivers comes and irving stays.

crap, forgot about Gbinijie. man, do we have some talent coming in or what!?

whereinthehellami
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I think Rivers would fit in really well with the back court that Duke will have in the future.

A large part of what is impressive to me about Coach K is what he does outside of the game. He is an impressive person in addition to a great coach. No other coach comes close to him IMO (maybe Dean back in the day). Roy and Billy both come across to me as used car salesmen.

Deslok
04-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Just to return things to Austin Rivers and all...

Regarding the depth issue, for a player of Rivers calibre, I always want someone with the attitude that Elton Brand expressed so well, when asked if he was concerned about the players Duke had already recruited at his position not leaving time for him to get minutes. (not exact quote, but something like this) "No, they should worry about me taking theirs."

_Gary
04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Just to return things to Austin Rivers and all...

Regarding the depth issue, for a player of Rivers calibre, I always want someone with the attitude that Elton Brand expressed so well, when asked if he was concerned about the players Duke had already recruited at his position not leaving time for him to get minutes. (not exact quote, but something like this) "No, they should worry about me taking theirs."

Absolutely. I'll take guys with that attitude every single day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 11:42 AM
I can't wait for his next diary interview. It should be interesting what he has to say.

That_Dude
04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Donovan is so overrated as a coach. He was lucky to even get into the tournament this year.
That Noah/Brewer/Green/Horford thing was lightning in a bottle that inflated Donovan's coaching acumen. Just like Lawson/Felton/Hans was for Roy.

Teams with that much talent don't have much of a core due to NBA early depatures. But when they do stay, they have a huge edge on everyone else in the field. Talent w/ experience > coaching.

As we have seen with Roy this year and Donovan the last 5, both are over rated coaches/great recruiters

Are you kidding me? Talent w/ Experiance?? You must not have paid attention... 4 out of 5 starters in '06 were sophomores... 2 of the 5 starters were 3 star prospects in HS(Green,Humphrey)... Talent and Experience were both huge question marks going into that season, which is why the team wasn't ranked in the preseason... Should Donovan get some credit for indentifying and developing that team and getting them to win so young?? You should've seen how bad Noah looked as a freshman(His fresh-to-soph leap was probably the best I have ever seen)...

You're right tho, in the fact that very rarely do such overlooked prospects come together as a team like that, and develop into lottery prospects as sophomores and win... In that sense it was 'lightning in a bottle'. Call it luck if you want, but I dont know if i've seen a group of sophomores do what that team did, so I got to give some credit to Billy, 1) for the development of Noah, and 2) for getting a team starting 4 soph's and a 3* Junior to win the title. Maybe for the 2nd title he didn't need to work too much, but I dont see how you can discredit that team or the coach.

Florida and Duke go after alot of the same prospects tho, so I dont see how you can discredit the type of guys Billy goes after. Look at Matt Boner, David Lee, Udonis Haslem, all those guys... Billy likes the team guys. Like I said, the last 3 years has been more of a rebuilding phase. It's one thing to lose 6 of your top players after a great run, but it's completely different to also lose your top 3 assistants on top of that... There's been problems with communication in the staff, injuries to recruits, that have only accentuated the pain of transfers and guys going pro. It's been a total rebuilding of the program.

MChambers
04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Look at Matt Boner, David Lee, Udonis Haslem, all those guys...

Pretty sure it's "Bonner"?.

That_Dude
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
i kno :D

Tsetse0510
04-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Austin Rivers Officially Decommits from Florida Today.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Austin Rivers Officially Decommits from Florida Today.

I thought that happened like two days ago?

chrisheery
04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I thought that happened like two days ago?

It did.

kong123
04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Are you kidding me? Talent w/ Experiance?? You must not have paid attention... 4 out of 5 starters in '06 were sophomores... 2 of the 5 starters were 3 star prospects in HS(Green,Humphrey)... Talent and Experience were both huge question marks going into that season, which is why the team wasn't ranked in the preseason... Should Donovan get some credit for indentifying and developing that team and getting them to win so young?? You should've seen how bad Noah looked as a freshman(His fresh-to-soph leap was probably the best I have ever seen)...

You're right tho, in the fact that very rarely do such overlooked prospects come together as a team like that, and develop into lottery prospects as sophomores and win... In that sense it was 'lightning in a bottle'. Call it luck if you want, but I dont know if i've seen a group of sophomores do what that team did, so I got to give some credit to Billy, 1) for the development of Noah, and 2) for getting a team starting 4 soph's and a 3* Junior to win the title. Maybe for the 2nd title he didn't need to work too much, but I dont see how you can discredit that team or the coach.

Florida and Duke go after alot of the same prospects tho, so I dont see how you can discredit the type of guys Billy goes after. Look at Matt Boner, David Lee, Udonis Haslem, all those guys... Billy likes the team guys. Like I said, the last 3 years has been more of a rebuilding phase. It's one thing to lose 6 of your top players after a great run, but it's completely different to also lose your top 3 assistants on top of that... There's been problems with communication in the staff, injuries to recruits, that have only accentuated the pain of transfers and guys going pro. It's been a total rebuilding of the program.

no one pays much attention, this team is basically the same team they had last year except for losing GH and getting Mason P. The difference is, the big guys played well this year and gave Duke a better defensive presence. Did K do a bad job last year with all that talent? No, the talent he had this year played better than the year before, they improved. This team has played together for 3 or 4 years. That kind of experience is easier to coach.

jimsumner
04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
"this team is basically the same team they had last year except for losing GH and getting Mason P"

And losing Elliott Williams, who was starting ahead of Smith at the end of last season, and losing Paulus and losing McClure and adding Kelly and adding Dawkins and moving Singler from the 4 to the 3 and having Scheyer play point all season and having Smith improve dramatically at the 2, etc.

Different seasons, different teams.

DevilHorns
04-09-2010, 05:59 PM
It always astounds me when people say things like "if [fill in name of top 5 recruit here] comes here he'll be coming off the bench." Top 5 recruits don't come off the bench. If he came here and Kyrie and Seth were still here and both merited starting (which I agree is likely if they're both here), then we'd play a three guard lineup.

Put another way, there's absolutely no way Austin Rivers is worried about starting or playing time.

Sure. I realize we can play 3 guards at one time. The thing is, will that be our default set? In certain situations, or against certain teams, playing 3 guards that all warrant starting may not be attractive to coach K and the staff. Do you agree? Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think it may be more attractive to go to a situation without 2 stud guards already on the team. I could be completely wrong in this, its just my opinion in what I think stud guards look for.

The thing is, K will surely make his selling point and explain how he would use Austin (just how he made his selling point to Wall). And Doc Rivers will likely also have a feel for the situation and be able to advise his son well.

BD80
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Sure. I realize we can play 3 guards at one time. The thing is, will that be our default set? In certain situations, or against certain teams, playing 3 guards that all warrant starting may not be attractive to coach K and the staff. Do you agree? Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think it may be more attractive to go to a situation without 2 stud guards already on the team. I could be completely wrong in this, its just my opinion in what I think stud guards look for.

The thing is, K will surely make his selling point and explain how he would use Austin (just how he made his selling point to Wall). And Doc Rivers will likely also have a feel for the situation and be able to advise his son well.

You are completely wrong. Several of us have said so.

Although you are free to express your opinion, I, for one, find it aggravating that you repeat such ill founded opinions when they are negative toward our recruiting. The snotty swipe about Wall was certainly not appreciated.

Austin will play, and even start, from day one.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Honestly if Kyrie, Seth, and Andre stay I don't really see Austin starting.

DukeBlueNV
04-09-2010, 06:33 PM
am i wrong but doesnt duke usually run a 3 guard lineup? other than deng in 04 and singler more recently, who has been a true three to come through duke in the last couple of years? seems like k will play the best 5 regardless and get the players who deserve to play the mins they've earned.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM

I mean a third year Andre and Seth who is like a fourth year player by then, and a second year Kyrie would be more ready to start then a freshman Austin right?

Kedsy
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM

...heavy sigh...

gumbomoop
04-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Goin' rogue here: If Austin shows up, how about 4 out-1 in, like this -- KI, AR, SC, DD, and, what the heck, RK. Bring in the MPs from the bench.

Killer.:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
04-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I agree with that. Just because he's the man in high school does not mean he's the man to start on your college team that is already loaded with talent that is more experienced at this level. Might he start? Sure...but it won't surprise me or bother me if he doesn't.

Bo_Spice
04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I'll pray every night that we land this kid!

phaedrus
04-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I agree with that. Just because he's the man in high school does not mean he's the man to start on your college team that is already loaded with talent that is more experienced at this level. Might he start? Sure...but it won't surprise me or bother me if he doesn't.

Think about how good Dawkins might be as a junior - Nelson or Ewing (as juniors) good? Now think about how good Deng and Jason Williams were as freshmen. Who starts?

rhcpflea99
04-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Think about how good Dawkins might be as a junior - Nelson or Ewing (as juniors) good? Now think about how good Deng and Jason Williams were as freshmen. Who starts?

You start the best 5 that gives you the best chance to win.

Indoor66
04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Goin' rogue here: If Austin shows up, how about 4 out-1 in, like this -- KI, AR, SC, DD, and, what the heck, RK. Bring in the MPs from the bench.

Killer.:cool:

Do you know how to type names?

DevilHorns
04-09-2010, 07:37 PM
You are completely wrong. Several of us have said so.

Although you are free to express your opinion, I, for one, find it aggravating that you repeat such ill founded opinions when they are negative toward our recruiting. The snotty swipe about Wall was certainly not appreciated.

Austin will play, and even start, from day one.

Wow that was harsh. I am actually quite stunned. Ok.

I wasn't making a swipe at Wall, it was well known that K said he wanted to use Wall in a similar way that he used JWill. My point about Wall was just to show a recent occasion where K has described to recruits how they fit in the system so that they can fully assess their potential role in the system, thats it, nothing more. I wasn't trying to be snotty, sorry if it came off that way.

And how am I being negative to our recruiting? Do you think Austin will look on this forum and decide not to come to Duke because of what I said? I'm not here to make enemies I just had some thoughts. Clearly you don't agree with them. If you don't like what I say just block me. I am not doing anything wrong by posting on here.

PS- Look at what Welcome2daslopes and Cameronbornandbred have said. I think its time for you to tell 'em something.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
PS- Look at what Welcome2daslopes and Cameronbornandbred have said. I think its time for you to tell 'em something.

NOOOOOOOOO I'm very insecure :) But hey if you don't agree with my opinion that's cool with me.

CameronBornAndBred
04-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Different teams, different scenarios. Has nothing to do with what we look like when Rivers sees his first blue-white game.(If he sees one from the court)
Also, look at the supporting casts. When Rivers comes, he will be in a sea of stars if they stay.

Lord Ash
04-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey all,

I think the general feeling out there is that Austin is a real special talent... a top level, elite, NBA star type guy. Now, we might have a FEW very successful future NBA guys on the roster next year (Kyrie for sure, Nolan and Seth almost definitely, maybe Andre too) but I think many folks peg Austin as an immediate starter, instant impact type of guy. I think it is important to note, in this respect, that usually top five high school guys are usually of a whole different caliber than, say, guys who rank in the 20s.

I could be wrong, of course!

roywhite
04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey all,

I think the general feeling out there is that Austin is a real special talent... a top level, elite, NBA star type guy. Now, we might have a FEW very successful future NBA guys on the roster next year (Kyrie for sure, Nolan and Seth almost definitely, maybe Andre too) but I think many folks peg Austin as an immediate starter, instant impact type of guy. I think it is important to note, in this respect, that usually top five high school guys are usually of a whole different caliber than, say, guys who rank in the 20s.

I could be wrong, of course!

Yeah, generally the consensus top 5 guys are instant starters and impact players.

Ooops, sorry about that, John Henson.

http://www.rscihoops.com/

gumbomoop
04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Do you know how to type names?

I do, but I find that saving time with fewer keystrokes means more time for dodging friendly fire.

To be slightly more serious [which is not my preference], IIRC [= if I recall correctly], this is the second time you have chastised me for initial-izing. This practice clearly irritates you, just as friendly fire irritates me. So, although I think this is silly, maybe it's best that you simply ignore any of my future posts. They're certainly not worth the heartburn they so clearly give you; and I've rarely, maybe never, said things on this board that others haven't said with more insight.

Not to mention more keystrokes.

P.S. - If we meet in Devil Heaven someday, I bet we'll share a good laugh over this.

rotogod00
04-09-2010, 10:35 PM
haven't seen anyone on here address the very real possibility that irving stays only 1 year (based on talent alone, he could certainly leave), opening up another 40 minutes for all our guards. think that's key here. if kyrie stays 2+ years, our 1, 2, and 3 spots are VERY crowded with rivers (and not forgetting gbinijie).

SupaDave
04-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Zoubs said something very important in an interview I read during the tourney. He mentioned the fact that he and Lance were able to play to exhaustion b/c of the Plumlees and vice versa.

We are probably set to see much more pressing which leads to fast breaks which equates to a ton of running. Instead of a great defensive team like this year we could have something like a DOMINANT defense - with just a couple more pieces (Haynes, Adams, Miller, and Rivers - and we stand to get at least one of those guys). It could be just sick and we already have the personnel to launch a pretty healthy attack. It's no telling what else comes out of the woodwork as well.

Keep this is mind as you think about minutes shared. There could be a lot of 20-25 minute games for a lot of folks - especially since it's quite well known that the pace will be sped up next year and that we will be equipped to do so for the next few years...

So not only could Austin run, gun, and have a lot of fun, he will be able to showcase his skills for the NBA, play for National Championships, and be part of something bigger than himself.

B/c sometimes I think that we leave actual game scenarios out of these discussions, think about this:

The team is pressing, Dawkins gets a steal then dunks, back to the press, opponent brings it up court and runs half-court set in which Dawkins has to fight through THREE picks. Opponent throws up desperation three at the end of the shot clock and Duke dashes down the court with Austin passing to Kyrie who touch passes it Dawkins for the Alley-oop. After the Alley-oop, Dawkins raises his arm and at the TV time-out in comes Seth. Make sense yet....?

It's NEVER about the minutes - it's what you do with them...

COYS
04-09-2010, 11:23 PM
haven't seen anyone on here address the very real possibility that irving stays only 1 year (based on talent alone, he could certainly leave), opening up another 40 minutes for all our guards. think that's key here. if kyrie stays 2+ years, our 1, 2, and 3 spots are VERY crowded with rivers (and not forgetting gbinijie).

I think people haven't really discussed it too much because Rivers will most likely make his decision before he knows whether or not Kyrie will be at Duke for two years. The only knock about Kyrie and his NBA prospects is his strength and the size of his frame. He's still small by NBA standards. Chris Paul, even with his immense talent (and punching ability), stayed for two years. Crittendon, Evans (if you consider him a point guard), Rose, now Wall, and many of the other point guards who were picked at the top of the draft already had NBA ready bodies. So if Irving's decision makes any difference to Rivers, Rivers must assume that there is a good chance Irving comes back for one more year, even if he blows up next year. Scouts may simply want him to put on some more pounds before playing in the league.

watzone
04-10-2010, 01:07 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/austin-rivers-helps-lead-team-to-an-upset-win-over-team-takeover/ Austin leads his team to an upset win

hedevil
04-10-2010, 01:16 AM
UNC media swarming Rivers? Uh-oh! Good to hear Gbinije had a good game too.

Osiagledknarf
04-10-2010, 01:55 AM
UNC media swarming Rivers? Uh-oh! Good to hear Gbinije had a good game too.

Where are you hearing this?

hedevil
04-10-2010, 02:09 AM
That's the way I took the article posted on watzone's link. I could be wrong. I understood it that UNC media from UNC sites were asking River's questions after the game. Like I said, I could be wrong, if so, my bad.

oldnavy
04-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I like that the reason is "the success they've had with their guards." First off, if he's talking about Kentucky, you've basically got this year's class (Wall/Bledsoe) and Rondo (who was not wildly successful in college). Joe Crawford had a nice run in his last year, but apparently wasn't ready for the league.

If guard success is referring to Calipari, I'm not sure I agree with that either. He essentially takes the number 1 guard in the nation, gives them the freedom to have an NBA audition throughout the season and then they get drafted in the the same position that they would have had they been able to go pro out of high school. So, while Calipari certainly hasn't hurt his players' stock, I'm not sure I see how he's made them successful either.

My thoughts exactly. It is not like Calipari is taking 4 star recruits and "teaching" them the finer points of guard play. Any of these guards could go to ANY school and still be a lottery pick coming out. That Calipari develops kids into NBA talent is a myth. The truth is, he couldn't care less if they stay beyond one year, so there may be no pressure or conflict when the kids declare after one year.

BD80
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
My thoughts exactly. It is not like Calipari is taking 4 star recruits and "teaching" them the finer points of guard play. Any of these guards could go to ANY school and still be a lottery pick coming out. That Calipari develops kids into NBA talent is a myth. ...

Therein lies the simplicity and beauty of Cal's spiel. These kids believe they are good enough for the pros and don't NEED coaching. He reinforces that belief. Just as the kids' entourages have done for years.

I just don't think that Austin is that kind of kid. I think he sees things with a broader perspective and wants to succeed at the highest level, to be a WINNER in the NBA. Cal represents the path of least resistance to the NBA. Coach K represents a more difficult path, but one that would make Austin a better player.

loran16
04-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Ironically, it's the area probably least cared bout by Prospect out of HS that Calipari excels at coaching-wise.

He implements an excellent defensive system. Yet recruits most certainly don't think of that when they buy into him, and his offensive system is nothing special except for the players within it.

Anyhow i don't think K represents a more difficult path to the NBA. I think K represents a different way to the NBA, but it's no different for a players' prospects than otherwise.

Put it this way: If a HS Player comes to Duke with amazing talent, he'll have his talent showcased and probably start right away. The only reason his stock might decline is if HE isnt all the hype he's made up to be, rather than the other way around.

UNC on the other hand might be the other side notably....in that they've had two potential lottery picks get hidden on the bench their freshman years (Williams and Ed Davis). Both were forwards, not guards, and Austin probably doesnt have to worry about that though.

LSanders
04-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Therein lies the simplicity and beauty of Cal's spiel. These kids believe they are good enough for the pros and don't NEED coaching. He reinforces that belief. Just as the kids' entourages have done for years.

I just don't think that Austin is that kind of kid. I think he sees things with a broader perspective and wants to succeed at the highest level, to be a WINNER in the NBA. Cal represents the path of least resistance to the NBA. Coach K represents a more difficult path, but one that would make Austin a better player.

Interesting point ... I hadn't thought about Cal's appeal being that he's essentially an extension of the posse. That does explain a lot.

PADukeMom
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I never thought having too much talent as being a bad thing.

The big picture: WE WON THE 2010 CHAMPIONSHIP! I don't get tired of hearing that.
I just want to enjoy THIS team a bit longer.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-10-2010, 05:22 PM

The big picture: WE WON THE 2010 CHAMPIONSHIP! I don't get tired of hearing that.

You can you have the whole season to enjoy this team.

jennja01
04-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Look i love this 2010 team as much as the next guy but this forum is about Austin Rivers so enjoy this team on another thread please. if you dont have info to post on rivers then dont post here, its misleading. thanks.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-10-2010, 09:10 PM
You can you have the whole season to enjoy this team.

I meant summer

Bob Green
04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
....if you dont have info to post on rivers then dont post here, its misleading....

How about you let the Moderators take care of the moderating. Your post is kind of bossy for someone with two total posts on DBR. Threads typically wander off subject, however, they just as typically wander back onto the prime subject.

Big Pappa
04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Great and super encouraging article in USA Today on Thursday. I think we have a really good shot at landing this kid.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/austin-rivers-decommits-from-florida-with-eye-on-duke-north-carolina/1

Greg_Newton
04-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Because I believe this is his site, but here's a nice blurb (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/04/11/tidbits-on-avery-bradley-cory-joseph-and-austin-rivers/):

Word around the campfire from this weekend’s Nike Invitational…

First an Austin Rivers tidbit. It appears as if Austin Rivers is all Duke, all the time, considering the recently decommitted prospect was sporting Blue Devil gear for all to see for most of the weekend. If you ask the folks that would know, they’ll tell you Rivers will be the next great Duke guard. This one looks like a done deal for Coach K and company. A backcourt of Austin Rivers and Kyrie Irving is going to be a sick combination for the Blue Devils looking to make another final four run in 2011. The rich get richer.

It's just smoke, but hey, it's better to have smoke than no smoke...

DevilHorns
04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Because I believe this is his site, but here's a nice blurb (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/04/11/tidbits-on-avery-bradley-cory-joseph-and-austin-rivers/):

It's just smoke, but hey, it's better to have smoke than no smoke...

Sounds more like a bonfire! Very encouraging.

Channing
04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
not to be a wet towel, but hwsnbn surprised coach k with a visit on K's birthday...I am as encouraged as the next, but if we have learned anything it is to temper our expectations.

DukeBlueNV
04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Not trying to be a wet blanket either but why is this blog the only one with this.... I assume he is at the aau event where rivers is... I'm sure there is other media there why is he the only one with this info... Seems like something Dave telep, zagoria or some one would at least tweet about or something...

gumbomoop
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
... why is this blog the only one with this....

The blogger has AR arriving a la DD, i.e., a year early. So unless the blogger has the scoop of the year - not only is AR a sure Duke commit, but he'll team with KI to win the NC in '11 - maybe we should be hopeful but skeptical.

Duvall
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Not trying to be a wet blanket either but why is this blog the only one with this.... I assume he is at the aau event where rivers is... I'm sure there is other media there why is he the only one with this info... Seems like something Dave telep, zagoria or some one would at least tweet about or something...

Probably because the rest of the media is waiting for actual news.

roywhite
04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Probably because the rest of the media is waiting for actual news.

Yeah, the news in the Rivers saga is the de-commitment from Florida. Which is a positive development for Duke, I'd say. Our chances seem good here, but the deal is not done.

Hey, it's now the off-season; things are a little slow, so we're eager for scraps.

chrisheery
04-11-2010, 10:23 PM
The blogger has AR arriving a la DD, i.e., a year early. So unless the blogger has the scoop of the year - not only is AR a sure Duke commit, but he'll team with KI to win the NC in '11 - maybe we should be hopeful but skeptical.

Where did he say that? I don't see that anywhere in that article. I thought he meant he will be a class of 2011 recruit and KI will still be there so they can try to win a NC together. Maybe he meant it the way you said, but he probably would have been more explicit, don't you think?

gumbomoop
04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Where did he say that? I don't see that anywhere in that article. I thought he meant he will be a class of 2011 recruit and KI will still be there so they can try to win a NC together. Maybe he meant it the way you said, but he probably would have been more explicit, don't you think?

Perhaps you are correct, and my skepticism runneth over. However, here are the exact words, as quoted in post #733: "A backcourt of Austin Rivers and Kyrie Irving is going to be a sick combination for the Blue Devils looking to make another final four run in 2011."

It's possible that the intent was to refer to the 2011-2012 season, which would be - we all hope - AR's first in Durham. But the "final four in 2011" will take place next spring, at the end of the upcoming [2010-2011] season.

The Devils are definitely "looking to make another final four run in 2011," but AR won't help that spring.

I don't think the problem is that the blogger wasn't explicit enough. I think it's that the blogger's words are unwittingly inaccurate and misleading.

Vasherized
04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
I've been out for the last week but just getting caught up on the Rivers mega-thread.

Greg, thanks for linking the latest update in my absence.

Here's my question to Duvall and the rest: Is it not "news" if the mainstream press doesn't cover it, but our source does because he was the only one there to report it?

There's a reason he can't post under a real name. The info flow from the AAU circuit would stop in a second.

Even you smart Duke grads/students should get that.

Now that the brief romance with Roy Williams and UNC has blown over, you have to feel EXCELLENT about Rivers coming to Duke. Or wait to feel excellent until it actually happens. Totally up to you. We're just calling the shot in advance and will continue to report what we hear from our source.

And hey, I believe some congrats are in order? Did you beat Butler or something?

Great game and well earned.

SupaDave
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Here's my question to Duvall and the rest: Is it not "news" if the mainstream press doesn't cover it, but our source does because he was the only one there to report it?

There's a reason he can't post under a real name. The info flow from the AAU circuit would stop in a second.

Regardless of how uber important a source can be, if he can't publish it with his name attached to it then we prefer to not have it posted here. It qualifies as what we call baseless speculation. It could be 100% true but if it's not common knowledge then most times there's a reason why and we like to respect that around here (and we really try...).

And by the by, I seriously doubt the info flow would stop - and if it did - it would be for a second. If you haven't noticed there's quite a few folks around here with "connections". So if you're protecting yours - don't post about it!!!

DukeBlueNV
04-12-2010, 09:05 PM
wow.... i say we give the guy a lil slack. he's not the only guy out there posting stuff on his blog with anonymous sources... he says he has a source close to the situation and i doubt he's lying about that. how reliable the source is, we can only speculate. lets hope he's right about the rivers situation and if he's full of crap then we can disregard his future posts. he did have rivers decommiting a week or two before it happened and his blog has some interesting things regarding other prospects i havent seen on other sites... i say let him throw some tidbits our way and we can enjoy them till he's been proven wrong...

stillcrazie
04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
wow.... i say we give the guy a lil slack. he's not the only guy out there posting stuff on his blog with anonymous sources... he says he has a source close to the situation and i doubt he's lying about that. how reliable the source is, we can only speculate. lets hope he's right about the rivers situation and if he's full of crap then we can disregard his future posts. he did have rivers decommiting a week or two before it happened and his blog has some interesting things regarding other prospects i havent seen on other sites... i say let him throw some tidbits our way and we can enjoy them till he's been proven wrong...

I understand both points of view, but I do enjoy the tidbits as well.

SupaDave
04-12-2010, 09:19 PM

First, I'd rather not speculate a speculation.

Second, it HAS been pretty much common knowledge that Rivers would decommit. If you've been following this thread for a while, I mean it's been basically OBVIOUS. Throw in a national championship and voila!

The curveball in the saga has been Ol' Roy. But even that is not shocking, UNC would be nuts NOT to talk to the kid considering what their present and future look like.

With all due respect, noone is bashing anyone but most would like to be able to argue the real facts with some kind of backbone. What somebody told somebody just doesn't hold a lot of weight around here if we don't know who those somebodies are. If you feel you are bursting to tell someone - use the PM function. People's FUTURES are at stake here...

BD80
04-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Regardless of how uber important a source can be, if he can't publish it with his name attached to it then we prefer to not have it posted here. It qualifies as what we call baseless speculation. It could be 100% true but if it's not common knowledge then most times there's a reason why and we like to respect that around here (and we really try...).

And by the by, I seriously doubt the info flow would stop - and if it did - it would be for a second. If you haven't noticed there's quite a few folks around here with "connections". So if you're protecting yours - don't post about it!!!

I completely disagree. One, I don't believe that is the standard, or else the mods have been woefully negligent in policing the "I don't think so-and-so" is coming here or "I think so-and-so" is going to carolina or kentucky.

Second, if a poster claims to have information, but won't identify sources, that becomes part of the credibility issue.

Lastly, the information was acurate and was not forthcoming from the other so-called folks with "connections." I understand why some of those sources have stopped providing information on this board, but we shouldn't reject new sources.

I appreciated the information, but understood that the credibility was suspect. The next revelation from that source will be deserving of more credibility.

SupaDave
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I completely disagree. One, I don't believe that is the standard, or else the mods have been woefully negligent in policing the "I don't think so-and-so" is coming here or "I think so-and-so" is going to carolina or kentucky.

Second, if a poster claims to have information, but won't identify sources, that becomes part of the credibility issue.

Lastly, the information was acurate and was not forthcoming from the other so-called folks with "connections." I understand why some of those sources have stopped providing information on this board, but we shouldn't reject new sources.

I appreciated the information, but understood that the credibility was suspect. The next revelation from that source will be deserving of more credibility.

Totally fine when things are in the first person as you state above.

There are just ways to do things. You can state your opinion very matter of factly and stand your ground regardless of feedback. However, once you bring in the uncertainty, as most of you agree, it puts the credibility under intense scrutiny. Sources had folks going bananas on this board not too long ago...

It is not for me to reject "new" sources but when it is anonymous it becomes something that well, anyone can say or do, and we've seen it backfire. Predicting Rivers decommiting was like predicting the sun coming up. In a world where we can get info direct from the recruit's mouth, I hope the next revelation from the source is indeed huge.

wallyman
04-12-2010, 10:53 PM
In an imperfect world of imperfect information I'm with the other posters who appreciate the input, however imperfect, from someone with some degree of access. Don't think the guy deserved the rude putdown. And most of us appreciate the congratulations on Duke's win.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Totally fine when things are in the first person as you state above.

There are just ways to do things. You can state your opinion very matter of factly and stand your ground regardless of feedback. However, once you bring in the uncertainty, as most of you agree, it puts the credibility under intense scrutiny. Sources had folks going bananas on this board not too long ago...

It is not for me to reject "new" sources but when it is anonymous it becomes something that well, anyone can say or do, and we've seen it backfire. Predicting Rivers decommiting was like predicting the sun coming up. In a world where we can get info direct from the recruit's mouth, I hope the next revelation from the source is indeed huge.

I agree on the most part, but it is still hard to not get a tad bit excited. There is a difference between a guy lying and a guy giving baseless information and the parts that are more cut and dry when it comes to his recruitment do seem to go in our favor. Now, I know that in the past Harrison Barnes has put on Duke gear and has looked the part, but everything considered, you have got to believe that we are very much in the lead. The kid de-commits, we win a national championship, he was already looking hard at us, and now he's sporting Duke gear at a Nike camp. I'm just saying. Hopefully we hear something else from the "mainstream" bloggers to increase the intensity of this speculation.