PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

oldnavy
02-09-2010, 06:22 AM
I believe that during certain times, contact with a recruit is forbidden by anyone, in fact I am sure that is the case, I just do not know when those times are. I would think that when recruiting is allowed, then any representative of the university (NBA alumni, asst coaches, etc...) could make contact. My understanding is that it is about when the contact takes place.

For example, if Austin wanted to talk to Grant about Duke during a blackout period, Grant would be wise to tell him that he cannot, but when the blackout is over, Grant could tell him that he would be glad to sit down and discuss why Duke is the best place for him...

DeBlueDevil
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Actually, to add some more fuel to the rumor fire. I am from Delaware and I was actually watching the lowly Sixers play the Boston Celtics. And actually during that game the local announcer spoke of how Elton Brand had been getting heckled in the locker room a little about speaking to Doc Rivers before the game and when asked what the topic of conversation was, Brand responded that Doc had a few questions of how Elton felt about his time at Duke. The announcer then spoke a few words about Austin and how he is pretty good and then continued on with the color commentary.

I wasn't sure what to think of that other than the fact that Rivers is definitely interested and the fact that he's asking NBA stars about their Duke experience can only bid well for the Devils

-jk
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
As I understand it, there's an exception for recruits talking to alumni when there's a pre-existing relationship.

If Grant were a longstanding friend of the Rivers family, he would be allowed to talk with Austin as much as he liked.

-jk

airowe
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2010/02/09/austin-rivers-talks-recruiting-pressure-family-and-more.aspx

Double DD
02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
As I understand it, there's an exception for recruits talking to alumni when there's a pre-existing relationship.

If Grant were a longstanding friend of the Rivers family, he would be allowed to talk with Austin as much as he liked.

-jk

Exactly, and Doc and Grant have known each other since Austin was probably 7 or 8 years old, so that's an easy end-around.

Greg_Newton
02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Official visits are quite different. they are on campus and fall within certain specified rules. Grant can do that. And many have: Laettner has even worked with big men prospects in our basketball facility.

Yours is an apples v. oranges comparison.

My bad then... I was under the impression that NBA alumni were not allowed to actively recruit prospects, even on OVs. I just remember folks were up in arms when the HB-VC comments came out, and the consensus seemed to be that it was not technically legal. I'll readily confess to being over my head when it comes to NCAA regulations though, so I'll take your word for it.

-jk
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
My bad then... I was under the impression that NBA alumni were not allowed to actively recruit prospects, even on OVs. I just remember folks were up in arms when the HB-VC comments came out, and the consensus seemed to be that it was not technically legal. I'll readily confess to being over my head when it comes to NCAA regulations though, so I'll take your word for it.

Again, as I understand it, a prior, long-standing relationship trumps. I can't believe Grant would do something that could get Duke in trouble.

-jk

enick66
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Gotta like this quote from Austin!!!

AUSTIN RIVERS, Winter Park (Fla.) 2011, PG/SG, being recruited by Duke: “Duke! Just because they’re my team and they play harder! They just want it every game and they have better guards. I say it will be 76-65, Duke.”

From - http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/02/duke-and-unc-recruits-handicap-the-big-game/

In reading the article, it seems like Harrison "Benedict Arnold" Barnes will be there.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-10-2010, 11:35 AM

AUSTIN RIVERS, Winter Park (Fla.) 2011, PG/SG, being recruited by Duke: “Duke! Just because they’re my team and they play harder! They just want it every game and they have better guards. I say it will be 76-65, Duke.”

From - http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/02/duke-and-unc-recruits-handicap-the-big-game/

In reading the article, it seems like Harrison "Benedict Arnold" Barnes will be there.

Definitely like that! Kind of funny how he was the only one that was quoted who wasn't committed to Duke or UNC. Sign of a good thing?

DevilHorns
02-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Definitely like that! Kind of funny how he was the only one that was quoted who wasn't committed to Duke or UNC. Sign of a good thing?

Lets not read into this. The best reminder to not do so is Harrison Barnes, who will get some tv-time tonight as he sees his first true roy meltdown in person.

roywhite
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Sounds like Austin has a new love and can't figure out how to leave the old one.

Come on, Austin, there must be 50 ways to leave your lover. :)

Indoor66
02-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Sounds like Austin has a new love and can't figure out how to leave the old one.

Come on, Austin, there must be 50 ways to leave your lover. :)

Yeah - Run out the back, Jack; Get a new Toy, Roy...

oldnavy
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah - Run out the back, Jack; Get a new Toy, Roy...

...make a new plan Stan...

He is WAY too young to know that classic!

mph
02-10-2010, 03:13 PM

A simple, "see ya' later, alligator" should do just fine. :D

BD80
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM

In carolina they have a popular variation of the classic:

"Stay away from the bus, Gus!"

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Paging Austin Rivers, Austin Rivers Please Report For Duty.

There is nothing that U of F could offer Rivers that we dont have. With the talent coming we can only go up. Only a matter of time!

BD80
02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
There is nothing that U of F could offer Rivers that we dont have. With the talent coming we can only go up. Only a matter of time!

The chance to break a streak of four straight years of missing the NCAA tournament?

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
The chance to break a streak of four straight years of missing the NCAA tournament?

Do you want to play for a team that might have a chance to get into the NCAA or play for a chance to win the NC as well as a much better conference. Rivers gets really frustrated when he team mates struggle and there seems to be a fair share of that at U of F.

airowe
02-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Have you seen the women in Gainesville? ;)

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Have you seen the women in Gainesville? ;)

I will give you that! Amazing

grossbus
02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
rivers had 41 in the game tonight when i stopped watching. scored in a variety of ways. heard K and collins were there.

Osiagledknarf
02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
rivers had 41 in the game tonight when i stopped watching. scored in a variety of ways. heard K and collins were there.

I watched that game too. Watching what Florida is doing right now, and looking at the situation he would have with the Devils, I think there is a good chance he comes here. He would be perfect with Kyrie... Him and Kyrie in the backcourt. Take a look at what our lineup could be:

PG: Irving/ Thronton
SG: Rivers/ Curry/Dawkins
SF: Dawkins/ Felix
PF: Miller/Hairston/Plumlee
C: Mason/ Marshall/ Aziz/ Miles

That's assuming we get Marshall and Miller which is up in the air right now, but I think there is a chance we do pry them due to with Plumlee family connections with Mason and Miles.

Could you just imange??

RelativeWays
02-18-2010, 09:37 PM
In carolina they have a popular variation of the classic:

"Stay away from the bus, Gus!"

Because Roy is definetly coy.

Indoor66
02-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Because Roy is definetly coy.

And he pines for a "Freshly fallen, silent shroud of snow".

UrinalCake
02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
That's assuming we get Marshall and Miller which is up in the air right now, but I think there is a chance we do pry them due to with Plumlee family connections with Mason and Miles.

You're also assuming that we get Felix. And that we don't get whatever prospects are out there but haven't yet surfaced. A lot can happen between now and 2011... but regardless things are definitely looking good for us.

CDu
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I watched that game too. Watching what Florida is doing right now, and looking at the situation he would have with the Devils, I think there is a good chance he comes here. He would be perfect with Kyrie... Him and Kyrie in the backcourt. Take a look at what our lineup could be:

Could you just imange??

Actually, that's assuming quite a lot. In addition to Miller and the youngest Plumlee, we don't yet have Felix, we don't yet have N'Diaye (I don't even think he's gotten an official offer), and we don't have Rivers (who is still committed to UF). And we don't know for certain that all of the players we currently have will still be there in 2011 (it is conceivable that Mason and Irving could be good enough to go very early).

It's a nice picture, but a lot of dominoes would still have to fall our way.

MChambers
02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Actually, that's assuming quite a lot. In addition to Miller and the youngest Plumlee, we don't yet have Felix, we don't yet have N'Diaye (I don't even think he's gotten an official offer), and we don't have Rivers (who is still committed to UF). And we don't know for certain that all of the players we currently have will still be there in 2011 (it is conceivable that Mason and Irving could be good enough to go very early).

Things just never work out like this. It's nice to contemplate, but the odds of this falling into place are quite long.

watzone
02-19-2010, 12:13 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/02/rivers-tallies-41-points-to-lead-his-team-in-front-of-coach-k/

Rivers is an elite talent for sure and wif Duke lands him ... this one has a little ways to go yet.

Hermy-own
02-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Could you just imange??

There are too many variables involved here. First and foremost, does Irving go pro? And do we get Quinn Cook class of 2011 to replace him? If so, replace Irving with Cook. If we don't get Cook, maybe Seth Curry runs the point? Also, the odds of us landing both Rivers and Miller are pretty low. I feel optimistic on both, but I was optimistic on Prince Harry too, and look how that turned out. Lastly, Mason may go pro before that year, though I hope he doesn't. The only thing I feel truly confident about is landing Felix. I don't think he's going to turn us down for ASU.

Plus, do we really need 3 superstars of Irving, Rivers and Curry in the backcourt? I would almost call that too crowded. As a Duke fan I would love it, but it's a long shot.

EDIT: And where is Kelly in that equation? Ryan Kelly will be a very, very good player for Duke. He is a multitalented big man, with excellent shooting and passing. His on court intelligence is superb. He is definitely a Coach K type player.

UrinalCake
02-19-2010, 12:25 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/02/rivers-tallies-41-points-to-lead-his-team-in-front-of-coach-k/

Is it just me or does he look absolutely NOTHING like his father?

Osiagledknarf
02-19-2010, 12:27 PM

We have extended an offer to Felix. Here is the link: http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html

There has been also some evidence that he will accect this offer. He has shown overwhelming support for Duke with being fans of the Devils Den and being a member " Quincy Miller come to Duke".... I would be surprised if he went elsewhere.

Aziz N'Diaye has been offered an official visit to Duke. The chance of him coming to Duke I believe are slimmer because he is visiting more schools, and other high profile schools such as OU who has pursued harder then we have. I was just pointing out the best possible thing that could happen.

Austin Rivers I think we got a HUGE chance at. Just take a look at the fact that he is allowing Duke to recruit him and with the position that the Florida program is in right on, I think we have a more then good chance to get him.

Just take a look at his qoute from the UNC-Duke Game:

That's some awfully high praise for someone who is commited to Florida.

As far as Mason and Kyrie, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you are right. Kyrie looks outstanding as a prospect, and could be one of the more dynamic players to play for us in the past 10 years. Mason I'm not sure about...Even if he does have a great year next season, I think he will stick around another season to make sure he is fully ready to enter the draft. We just don't know yet about Mason.

I was trying to paint the best possible picture here and what I THINK could happen, not what I think will happen.

We shall see when things get closer.

Osiagledknarf
02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
There are too many variables involved here. First and foremost, does Irving go pro? And do we get Quinn Cook class of 2011 to replace him? If so, replace Irving with Cook. If we don't get Cook, maybe Seth Curry runs the point? Also, the odds of us landing both Rivers and Miller are pretty low. I feel optimistic on both, but I was optimistic on Prince Harry too, and look how that turned out. Lastly, Mason may go pro before that year, though I hope he doesn't. The only thing I feel truly confident about is landing Felix. I don't think he's going to turn us down for ASU.

Plus, do we really need 3 superstars of Irving, Rivers and Curry in the backcourt? I would almost call that too crowded. As a Duke fan I would love it, but it's a long shot.

EDIT: And where is Kelly in that equation? Ryan Kelly will be a very, very good player for Duke. He is a multitalented big man, with excellent shooting and passing. His on court intelligence is superb. He is definitely a Coach K type player.

I'm sorry, I accidently left him out. He should be in the PF rotation along with Hairston, Miller (if he comes) and Miles. Sorry bout that.

WiJoe
02-19-2010, 12:49 PM
http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/os-recruiting-mike-krzyzewski-coach-k-sees-rivers,0,3402623.story

http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/os-hs-winter-park-winter-springs-0219.xml20100218,0,7506577.story

JasonEvans
02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Please note-- a number of posts about Rivers have been added to this thread that were in the Felix thread. Similarly, a number of posts in this thread that dealt exclusively with Felix have been moved to that thread.

--Jason "mod much?" Evans

airowe
02-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Austizzle Riversizzle:

http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/videobeta/?watchId=140fc739-1330-4e1c-b12d-4cb1160e90f7

moonpie23
02-21-2010, 02:16 PM
I hope austin decides that duke is a better fit for him. I bet his dad thinks it is... ;)

Morris614
02-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I am guessing he is looking at Flordia saying: Why the hell would I go to school that is going to their 3rd straight NIT?

Kedsy
02-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I am guessing he is looking at Flordia saying: Why the hell would I go to school that is going to their 3rd straight NIT?

Or he could be thinking, I could be a hero and bring them back to the glory days. You never know.

oldnavy
02-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Or he could be thinking, I could be a hero and bring them back to the glory days. You never know.

or... he could be looking at the UF CoEds and thinking.... well you can probably guess what he'd be thinking...

wilko
02-21-2010, 08:55 PM
or... he could be looking at the UF CoEds and thinking.... well you can probably guess what he'd be thinking...

Our he could be looking at some Duke CoEds thinking... "I can marry more in 5 min. than I can make in a lifetime"

duke=legacy
02-23-2010, 11:11 PM
So with another win, UF moves closer to making it to the tourney.

How do you think UF making the tourney will affect Rivers' decision?

Duvall
02-23-2010, 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure no one here knows the answer to that.

ScreechTDX1847
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Our he could be looking at some Duke CoEds thinking... "I can marry more in 5 min. than I can make in a lifetime"

I don't get it.

Kedsy
02-23-2010, 11:26 PM

Why would it affect it at all?

WiJoe
02-23-2010, 11:26 PM
http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/os-hs-winter-park-edgewater-boys-0224,0,1512237.story

Regional final is Saturday

duke=legacy
02-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Why would it affect it at all?

I would think he'd want to go to a school with an opportunity to become a national champ, not one that went to NIT three years in a row. I could be wrong.

Kedsy
02-24-2010, 01:30 AM
I would think he'd want to go to a school with an opportunity to become a national champ, not one that went to NIT three years in a row. I could be wrong.

Well, I believe the great players think they are the missing ingredient that will turn an NIT team into a national contender. What they did before he got there is considered irrelevant.

NYC Duke Fan
02-24-2010, 03:40 AM
Kenny Boyton chose Florida instead of Duke.

Duvall
02-24-2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the update.

Marty10
02-24-2010, 08:45 AM
"Kenny Boyton chose Florida instead of Duke. "

and how is that working out for him?

JasonEvans
02-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Yes he did and he is having a pretty darn mediocre season considering how highly regarded he was as a recruit. He is scoring 13+ ppg, but that is largely because he is gunning (takes 12+ shots per game and hits only about 35% of them). He is horrible from 3-point range (26%). His draft stock has unquestionably suffered as a result of his play this year.

Many had forecast him as a potential one-and-done player when he was a top 10 recruit coming out of high school. Now he is not on any draft boards for 2010 or 2011.

I hope Austin Rivers pays close attention to Kenny Boynton's experience at Florida ;)

-Jason "whew, there are some real busts so far in the 2009 HS class -- starting with the kid at #5... John Henson" Evans

-bdbd
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
"Kenny Boyton chose Florida instead of Duke. "

and how is that working out for him?

David Lee too. And some others. But we've certainly won our share of recruiting wars vs. FLA.

Each school has its attractions and detractions. But I would think, at this time, for a smart kid like Rivers, Duke has more to offer (program currently at a higher level/consistently a winner, always on TV (exposure), BB facillities, HOF coach with track record of sending PG's to the NBA, and academics to fall back on). Just hope HE sees it that way!! :) Fingers crossed.

BD80
02-24-2010, 11:00 AM
David Lee too. And some others. But we've certainly won our share of recruiting wars vs. FLA.

Each school has its attractions and detractions. But I would think, at this time, for a smart kid like Rivers, Duke has more to offer (program currently at a higher level/consistently a winner, always on TV (exposure), BB facillities, HOF coach with track record of sending PG's to the NBA, and academics to fall back on). Just hope HE sees it that way!! :) Fingers crossed.

Austin has his dad Doc as an influence, who also looks at what happens AFTER the NBA career. Look at the number of Dukies involved in coaching, in sports management and in broadcasting.

I think the primary deciding factor is whether a recruit is willing to commit to the academic workload. Duke's staff requires a commitment to academics that other schools likely do not. Many recruits simply choose an easier path.

Those that choose the easier path, like Boynton, I wish well because they are good enough kids that Duke offered a scholarship.

I root for the ones that choose Duke.

CrazieDUMB
02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Austin has his dad Doc as an influence, who also looks at what happens AFTER the NBA career. Look at the number of Dukies involved in coaching, in sports management and in broadcasting.

I think the primary deciding factor is whether a recruit is willing to commit to the academic workload. Duke's staff requires a commitment to academics that other schools likely do not. Many recruits simply choose an easier path.

Those that choose the easier path, like Boynton, I wish well because they are good enough kids that Duke offered a scholarship.

I root for the ones that choose Duke.

Am I the only one that kind of pooh-poohs the notion that Duke is so tough academically? I mean, there's no way you can design a course path for someone that barely wants to do any work?

My spring semester junior year I took:

Dinosaur Biology
Hip hop appreciation
Special topics in History: Baseball in the Global Perspective
Econ elective I don't remember because there wasn't any work.

I'm not trying to say that Duke is an easy school, but there are definitely ways to knock out the requirements without killing yourself academically. Maybe I should be a class advisor for prospective athletes.

ice-9
02-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one that kind of pooh-poohs the notion that Duke is so tough academically? I mean, there's no way you can design a course path for someone that barely wants to do any work?

Dinosaur Biology
Hip hop appreciation

I'm not trying to say that Duke is an easy school, but there are definitely ways to knock out the requirements without killing yourself academically. Maybe I should be a class advisor for prospective athletes.

That schedule is...crazy dumb. ;)

flyingdutchdevil
02-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Dinosaur Biology
Hip hop appreciation

While I completely agree with you that you can indeed take easy courses at Duke, which many athletes do indeed take, Duke, as an academic institution, is significantly harder than your average college. We're ranked in the top 10 (US News) in the COUNTRY and have an amazing basketball program. Also, by being surrounded by thousands of bright students, you do get a better education (the campus system).

There are students who like to push themselves academically, and Duke is a better place to do this than most.

BD80
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM

Dinosaur Biology
Hip hop appreciation

And they call my Engineering Degree BS!

Frankly, I don't recall a Duke basketball player being reported as having such an easy schedule and I would belittle anyone that did. You are supposed to distribute the crib courses throughout your 4 years, I thought even liberal arts majors knew that!

I would bet that as easy a courseload as you were able to skate with, a much easier one could be devised at UF.

Acymetric
02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
And they call my Engineering Degree BS!

Frankly, I don't recall a Duke basketball player being reported as having such an easy schedule and I would belittle anyone that did. You are supposed to distribute the crib courses throughout your 4 years, I thought even liberal arts majors knew that!

I would bet that as easy a courseload as you were able to skate with, a much easier one could be devised at UF.

The other thing to remember is that this is just one semester. For one and done players I suppose one easy semester is all they need, but anyone who plans on or is considering 2 or more years will probably not get by with multiple semesters on that level.

Bluedog
02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Frankly, I don't recall a Duke basketball player being reported as having such an easy schedule and I would belittle anyone that did.

Do they publish Duke basketball players' schedules? No, and they shouldn't, so I'm not sure how any of us would know for certain. But there's certainly a way to devise an easy schedule if you're an athlete as you get early registration. I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought that all the basketball players have rigorous curricula; but with the time commitment to basketball, I'd certainly be the same way. You can easily get out even the "tough" requirements such as quantitative, science, etc. by taking the classes designed for non-science people (e.g. chem 83) or comp sci for non-comp sci people (no coding, and a joke). If your goal is to simply graduate with minimal effort and you have priority registration, you can certainly get a degree not taking many challenging courses.

Probably true. See Wall, John. Over summer school he took a remedial math course at UK (I think Algebra 2) that was FOUR semesters behind the "remedial" math course at Duke (Math 25 - Laboratory Calculus and Functions I)....Cal says Wall has the highest GPA on the team though. ;)

Sorry to be off topic.

CrazieDUMB
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
While it may be true that Florida could probably devise an easier path than Duke, my point remains that there are ways to go through Duke without pushing yourself academically, if that's what you want to do. The semester I laid out was an aberration, a confluence of scheduling and the courses I needed in specific areas to graduate. I only put it out there to demonstrate that for every requirement, there's going to be something easy.

Another thing I should point out is that most of these players attend summer sessions as well. Not only does this give them the chance to take fewer courses during the year, but also (I hear) summer session classes are easier than regular semester classes. So even if, as an econ major, you're forced to take Econometrics, you can still do it over the summer when you're competing against weaker students and you only have one or two classes to worry about.

Like I said, Duke is not an easy place, and for those that want to push themselves I believe Duke gives you the best resources and chance to do so. I was of the opinion that since I didn't care about science or history, I might as well take classes that are more interesting (not to mention easier) so I can spend more time on my areas of interest.

If your only thing is basketball, and even if you want to stay four years, yes a school like Florida probably has an easier path. But Duke will also be able to find a way to keep you afloat academically, it won't be that much harder than a lesser school, you'll have as much tutoring as you want, and should you be interested in pursuing higher academics you have the ability to do so.

Just sayin'

chrisheery
02-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I agree it is easy to take 4 really easy classes at some point during your career at Duke. However, I think you are misremembering your time over the other 3.5 years. Even the easiest classes in most disciplines at Duke are well above the level expected from high school honors or even most AP classes. They require much more insight and thought. Math and Science classes are a perfect example. You have to be able to pass at least 2 of each of those to meet requirements (I think) and a kid who barely makes NCAA requirements will simply not be prepared to pass those classes.

That said, if a kid has no intention of graduating (meaning he plans to go pro after 2 years), there should be plenty of easy classes to take. He just would be saving up all the classes he probably couldn't pass until the end of his college career, which he would never see.

BD80
02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
The other thing to remember is that this is just one semester. For one and done players I suppose one easy semester is all they need, but anyone who plans on or is considering 2 or more years will probably not get by with multiple semesters on that level.

Do they publish Duke basketball players' schedules? No, and they shouldn't, so I'm not sure how any of us would know for certain. But there's certainly a way to devise an easy schedule if you're an athlete as you get early registration. ...

While it may be true that Florida could probably devise an easier path than Duke, my point remains that there are ways to go through Duke without pushing yourself academically, if that's what you want to do. ...
If your only thing is basketball, and even if you want to stay four years, yes a school like Florida probably has an easier path. But Duke will also be able to find a way to keep you afloat academically, it won't be that much harder than a lesser school, you'll have as much tutoring as you want, and should you be interested in pursuing higher academics you have the ability to do so.

My point is that Coach K requires its recruits to commit to academics. He won't offer players who intend to just skate through school. He lays out what will be required and expected and the recruit makes an educated decision.

Other schools may recruit by saying that they will ensure that the academics won't interfere with basketball. Duke recruits by emphasizing that the recruit will learn to balance both academics and basketball.

It is understood that the players will load up in the summer and ease off in the spring when basketball is in full swing. The key is that they commit to academics. Some recruits to not want to make that commitment.

Player's schedules are not published, but their courses of study are, and often their GPA's are shown. Team academic progress is published. Duke players fair well according to what is published.

Acymetric
02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
My point is that Coach K requires its recruits to commit to academics. He won't offer players who intend to just skate through school. He lays out what will be required and expected and the recruit makes an educated decision.

Other schools may recruit by saying that they will ensure that the academics won't interfere with basketball. Duke recruits by emphasizing that the recruit will learn to balance both academics and basketball.

It is understood that the players will load up in the summer and ease off in the spring when basketball is in full swing. The key is that they commit to academics. Some recruits to not want to make that commitment.

Player's schedules are not published, but their courses of study are, and often their GPA's are shown. Team academic progress is published. Duke players fair well according to what is published.

Just to be clear, I was agreeing with you, saying that nobody can take the easy classes mentioned by the other poster every semester (meaning athletes at Duke have to enroll in at least some difficult courses).

grossbus
02-28-2010, 10:14 AM
FWIW, orlando sentinel quoted rivers as "reaffirming his commitment to UF" after their win in the regional finals last night.

DevilHorns
02-28-2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-mike-krzyzewski-coach-k-sees-rivers,0,3251725.story

"Rivers has repeatedly said he remains committed to UF but is considering Duke."

Feb 19 article. Much of the same.

duke=legacy
02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
FWIW, orlando sentinel quoted rivers as "reaffirming his commitment to UF" after their win in the regional finals last night.

Does anyone know if he was just responding to a question, asking him if he was still committed to Florida, in which case he gave the same answer as he's been doing all along? Or if he went out of his way to publicly state he's still committed?

airowe
02-28-2010, 10:55 AM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-hs-winter-park-boys-0228-20100227,0,5564755.story

Rivers was quiet for most of the game. The junior guard, who affirmed his commitment to Florida after the win, scored 10 in the first half with six points coming from the line.

This doesn't mean anything as he is still "committed" to Florida. Nothing to see here except that Austin's team keeps advancing in the state tournament, meaning he more than likely won't make it to the Duke - UNC game as planned unless they are upset...

gumbomoop
02-28-2010, 11:00 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-mike-krzyzewski-coach-k-sees-rivers,0,3251725.story

"Rivers has repeatedly said he remains committed to UF but is considering Duke."

Feb 19 article. Much of the same.

Fair enough all 'round. It's reasonable to assume Duke has, say, a 40% chance that Rivers will wind up in Durham. He's got roughly 8 months to keep "considering," which means carefully weighing his options, measuring the programs, coaches, future teammates, what his time [2-3 years?] will produce at Fla and Duke.

He's a good kid, bright, personable, way talented. We're fortunate still to be in the running, all things considered.

Kdogg
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Could Billy Donovan's NBA ban have anything to do with his decision? It was five years from 2007. It might affect a player who will be on campus for more than a year.

ArtVandelay
02-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Isn't it a bit premature to dub any of these guys "superstars" seeing as how none of them have played a single minute for Duke and two of them are still in high school?

I'm a little afraid everyone has a mild case of "Kyrie fever." By all accounts he ought to be a very good player for us, but it seems like people have already annointed him Duke basketball savior without having even set foot on campus. It's a safer bet to assume that Kyle and Nolan (assuming they both stay) will be our two best players next year and hopefully two of the best in the country.

SeattleIrish
02-28-2010, 01:36 PM
I apologize if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but has Rivers ever given a timeline for finalizing his decision?

s.i.

airowe
02-28-2010, 01:49 PM
I apologize if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but has Rivers ever given a timeline for finalizing his decision?

s.i.

Nothing formal. I wouldn't expect to hear anything concrete until this Fall at the earliest, more likely next Spring. This is a delicate situation that has to be handled carefully.

beach rev
02-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Airowe,

Love the sig. Brilliant.

airowe
02-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Airowe,

Love the sig. Brilliant.

:cool:

I'm trying to find a picture of the sign if anyone knows where it might be online...

Austin Rivers!

FireOgilvie
02-28-2010, 03:18 PM
:cool:

I'm trying to find a picture of the sign if anyone knows where it might be online...

Austin Rivers!

Video:

http://neswsports.com/2010/02/18/will-you-marry-me-zoubek-duke-haters-ball-video/

Austin Rivers would probably do a screen capture of the video at the right moment.

airowe
02-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Video:

http://neswsports.com/2010/02/18/will-you-marry-me-zoubek-duke-haters-ball-video/

Austin Rivers would probably do a screen capture of the video at the right moment.

:D I wish I was Austin Rivers...

grossbus
03-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Rivers scored 23 last night as Winter Park won the florida large (6A) HS championship.

AlaskanAssassin
03-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Diary time y'all!

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/03/austin-rivers-diary-championship-week-big-decisions/

Duke #33
03-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Diary time y'all!

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/03/austin-rivers-diary-championship-week-big-decisions/

For those who want the big points of this link...
-Its between duke and florida
-will make decision before start of next school year
-coach k called him after duke unc game, thought that that was cool(evev though he missed the call)
-would have been to duke unc, but he had championship game at same time
- excited to play aau
-winning is very important to him

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-13-2010, 02:21 AM
He will also take another visit to both florida and Duke this summer

theAlaskanBear
03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
For those who want the big points of this link...
-Its between duke and florida
-will make decision before start of next school year
-coach k called him after duke unc game, thought that that was cool(evev though he missed the call)
-would have been to duke unc, but he had championship game at same time
- excited to play aau
-winning is very important to him

Its a good read! He's visiting Florida first, and then Duke. I like that order!

BD80
03-13-2010, 11:19 AM
He will also take another visit to both florida and Duke this summer

I think he and his dad might be impressed at the difference in activities during the summer at the two schools. We will have at least the three freshmen and probably several other players in summer school. The practice/educational facility should be buzzing with players and ex-players working out and executing individual development plans. I'm not saying that uf and billy the kid don't work during the summer, but I will bet that there is a noticeable difference in the atmosphere and level of preparation and commitment to education.

NSDukeFan
03-13-2010, 11:26 AM
I think he and his dad might be impressed at the difference in activities during the summer at the two schools. We will have at least the three freshmen and probably several other players in summer school. The practice/educational facility should be buzzing with players and ex-players working out and executing individual development plans. I'm not saying that uf and billy the kid don't work during the summer, but I will bet that there is a noticeable difference in the atmosphere and level of preparation and commitment to education.

I am hoping there will be more buzz with the championship trophy in Durham vs. the NIT appearance ribbon in Gainesville.

juise
03-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I am hoping there will be more buzz with the championship trophy in Durham vs. the NIT appearance ribbon in Gainesville.

I have been hoping for this as well, but I think UF is a pretty solid bet unless there are unexpected winners in the C-USA, ACC, and Big 10 tournaments. I'm pulling for 2 of the 3 (Minnesota an Houston). ;)

rotogod00
03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Diary time y'all!

i liked the "smashing North Carolina" line. sounds like a blue devil at heart

Leck
03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
so basically, rivers has decommitted w/out officially coming out and making a big deal about doing so. good to hear moving forward in the process.

Newton_14
03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Diary time y'all!

What I love the most about that, is, it is easy to tell the kid is just sharing exactly what is on his mind and not attempting to choose his words carefully or mislead. Unlike the diary of "he who shall not be named" where it was a case of carefully choosing words, trying to sound as smart as possible, read between the lines, etc etc nonsense..

Good for Austin. Sounds like a kid is who is genuine, is ok with being and sounding 17, knows he has a huge decision to make, and wants to just honestly share it with fans. Good for him.

Cisco
03-15-2010, 10:09 PM
What I love the most about that, is, it is easy to tell the kid is just sharing exactly what is on his mind and not attempting to choose his words carefully or mislead. Unlike the diary of "he who shall not be named" where it was a case of carefully choosing words, trying to sound as smart as possible, read between the lines, etc etc nonsense..

Good for Austin. Sounds like a kid is who is genuine, is ok with being and sounding 17, knows he has a huge decision to make, and wants to just honestly share it with fans. Good for him.

Whos he-who-must-not-be-named? (Besides Voldemort) lol

loran16
03-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Not getting into an argument about this but seriously the harrison barnes bashing for his recruitment process is kind of silly.

We lost him. That's the story. Just focus on Austin now.

WiJoe
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Not getting into an argument about this but seriously the harrison barnes bashing for his recruitment process is kind of silly.

Respectfully disagree. You, me and everyone else was played like fools by the prince of Ames. If it turns the crank, bash on.

Newton_14
03-15-2010, 10:25 PM

I am focused on Austin. Not bashing HB or crying over spilled milk, just making a comparison. Both guys kept a diary on this same site. They are quite different. I greatly appreciate the fact that Austin's diary reads like a 17 year old kid enjoying his basketball and recruitment journey wrote it.

loran16
03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Respectfully disagree. You, me and everyone else was played like fools by the prince of Ames. If it turns the crank, bash on.

Last Comment: "Played like fools"?

He made a choice of his FUTURE. He purposely left his options open so as to make sure that he didn't lock himself in to one school early in case he wanted to change his mind. That's smart, not playing people like fools.

He was under no obligation to us as fans to give us any news of his recruitment or any hope whatsoever. None. Don't forget that about any recruit. What info they give us is their prerogative, and they owe us NOTHING.

I'll boo him and hate on him next year. But i won't hate on a guy for keeping his options open and then choosing another school, even if it was the OTHER school.

(Put it this way, if he went to Iowa State instead of UNC, would people be hating on him like this? No. All it is is sour grapes cuz he's going to UNC and we should have had him, or so it seemed.)

Anyhow, getting Austin will make us feel a lot better if we can pull it off. But Just remember that if he ends up choosing Florida, or even a third school that swoops in later, that he owes us nothing and that's his decision on his life that he's making.

ScreechTDX1847
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Last Comment: "Played like fools"?

He made a choice of his FUTURE. He purposely left his options open so as to make sure that he didn't lock himself in to one school early in case he wanted to change his mind. That's smart, not playing people like fools.

He was under no obligation to us as fans to give us any news of his recruitment or any hope whatsoever. None. Don't forget that about any recruit. What info they give us is their prerogative, and they owe us NOTHING.

I'll boo him and hate on him next year. But i won't hate on a guy for keeping his options open and then choosing another school, even if it was the OTHER school.

(Put it this way, if he went to Iowa State instead of UNC, would people be hating on him like this? No. All it is is sour grapes cuz he's going to UNC and we should have had him, or so it seemed.)

Anyhow, getting Austin will make us feel a lot better if we can pull it off. But Just remember that if he ends up choosing Florida, or even a third school that swoops in later, that he owes us nothing and that's his decision on his life that he's making.

Cosigned. It surprises me how often people forget this and feel that they are entitles to some sort of explanation.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2010, 04:06 AM
Cosigned. It surprises me how often people forget this and feel that they are entitles to some sort of explanation.

I hate talking about HB. I haven't done so since he signed with them. But i will say this. Emotions, especially sports emotions, are completely irrational. I mean, look at this forum! If anyone, especially a journalist, criticizes any part of Duke, everyone flips out!

-bdbd
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
I hate talking about HB. I haven't done so since he signed with them. But i will say this. Emotions, especially sports emotions, are completely irrational. I mean, look at this forum! If anyone, especially a journalist, criticizes any part of Duke, everyone flips out!

I agree with FlyingDutch. Look, outsiders read these boards, as do recruits and their familiies I'm sure -- whether they put any weight on them is another matter entirely... ;) -- but criticizing a recruit at length who chose to go elsewhere just sounds cady. I have no doubt at all that any faux paus that he may have committed would have been quickly forgiven had he committed to Duke. Here's another thought: Obviously K and staff thought highly enough of the kid and his character to recruit/offer him. So I have a really hard time hatin' on a kid that we obviously evaluated as "good enough for here", when there's tons of kids out there K chose NOT to pursue for character and other reasons that made them a poor match for Duke. He's a good kid, clearly, who just chose (barely) to go the Kerlina. Hey, when I was 17 I made a few mistakes myself... ;) But we can afford to cut him some slack. We have better things to chat about here, such as Duke's #1 seed and path through the NCAA's THIS YEAR, which HB's new school does not.

Now about that Austin Rivers young man.... think good vibes!!!!

:D:D

Vasherized
03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
And I think most of you will be very happy as this tidbit is from as close a source as it gets.

Rivers will be a Blue Devil in 2011 (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/17/weekly-whispers-3172010-duke-and-kentucky-do-the-chomping/)

And as you probably already knew, Knight will end up at Kentucky.

pfrduke
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
And I think most of you will be very happy as this tidbit is from as close a source as it gets.

Rivers will be a Blue Devil in 2011 (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/17/weekly-whispers-3172010-duke-and-kentucky-do-the-chomping/)

Putting rumor in an "article" on a blog and then linking to it doesn't make it any less rumor.

juise
03-17-2010, 12:06 PM

It would be nice (and thanks for sharing), but there does not seem to be much substance in there. I am not a huge fan of the insinuation that going to Duke gets you preferential treatment when it comes to Olympic team selection. It's a ridiculous statment anyway since there is very little chance that K will coaching the US team when Kyrie and Austin will be eligible (or competitive enough) to join.

airowe
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Maybe those tea leaves had something to do with Florida offering a highly regarded 2011 PG:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/03/16/doron-lamb-to-announce-at-jordan-classic-florida-offers-gibbs-abraham-down-to-two/

SupaDave
03-17-2010, 12:18 PM

I'd take this with a grain of salt indeed and it's almost pointless. This is the Author's (ballerjunkie) first post on that site and it's a rumor blog full of speculation. Not too much credibility here (probably even lower than the BleacherReport).

Vasherized
03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Dismiss it if you want. Everybody has a first post somewhere but I think you'll find over time that ballerjunkie is very well connected.

Rivers has made a decision. That school is Duke. Until he announces it, it's still a rumor.

I guess it's only official these days if you hear it on Twitter or facebook?

UrinalCake
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, to the right of the article is an ad titled "Coach Roy Williams on inspiration." Let's hope the article itself has a little more credibility.

Duvall
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I guess it's only official these days if you hear it on Twitter or facebook?

If it's a posting from the player, then yeah I'd say it's considerably more reliable. Rumors are rumors.

Kfan4Life
03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
The fact that Florida is offering Gibbs a scholarship is interesting. I think you could infer that they are definitely worried about Rivers decommiting.

Vasherized
03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
UrinalCake,

You'll find that same Infiniti ad banner on a few hundred college basketball websites promoting the tournament, with quotes from 10 different coaches.

We obviously have it programmed so that the coach of your rival school magically appears when you visit the site.

Vasherized
03-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Rumors are rumors. Got it.

There are so and so heard on a blog that Doc's uncle's kid's brother thinks Rivers will be a Blue Devil.

Then there are rumors where the source actually spoke to a member of the family but isn't going to come out and announce the decision for the kid.

See the difference here?

CDu
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM

There are so and so heard on a blog that Doc's uncle's kid's brother thinks Rivers will be a Blue Devil.

Then there are rumors where the source actually spoke to a member of the family but isn't going to come out and announce the decision for the kid.

See the difference here?

There is certainly a difference. However, from our perspective it is impossible to definitively determine which group the rumor falls in. And even in your latter category, it doesn't mean that a decision is made.

One is certainly a stronger rumor than the other, but its still not hard evidence of anything happening. Thus, many don't buy anything until the decision is made official.

Kedsy
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM

See the difference here?

Hey, speaking for myself, I hope you're right. Without knowing who the original source was, though, he might be reporting what the family thinks now but could change at any moment. In the past, we've seen seemingly credible information about several key recruits that was probably true when it was reported, but it wasn't as concrete as the source thought and the kids changed their mind. I think that's one reason people are so down on rumors around here.

sagegrouse
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
There is certainly a difference. However, from our perspective it is impossible to definitively determine which group the rumor falls in. And even in your latter category, it doesn't mean that a decision is made.

One is certainly a stronger rumor than the other, but its still not hard evidence of anything happening. Thus, many don't buy anything until the decision is made official.

After many years in companies that live (and die) off of winning competitive contracts, I have learned to respect the old saw I first heard 25 years ago:

"If you don't hear you're winning, then you're losing."

We may or may not be winning the campaign for Austin Rivers, but hearing rumors that we are is definitely not a bad sign.

sagegrouse

moonpie23
03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
he said, she said.......it's ALL rumor till it's fact...

"kobe would have gone to duke"......

right...

YourLandlord
03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
After many years in companies that live (and die) off of winning competitive contracts, I have learned to respect the old saw I first heard 25 years ago:

"If you don't hear you're winning, then you're losing."

We may or may not be winning the campaign for Austin Rivers, but hearing rumors that we are is definitely not a bad sign.

sagegrouse

To add to the rumor mill, I saw this posted online:

For the record, Nate James has done a tremendous job in the recruiting world in a very short time. He's really stepped up and put Duke back in the driver seat for some elite recruits. I fully expect Austin Rivers, Doc's son, to be on board in the class of 2011. Hubert Davis has known the Rivers kids since Doc and Hubert played together on the Knicks, and tells me he's pretty sure Austin will be a future Dukie as well. Hubert could be wrong, but that's his feeling.

moonpie23
03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
who wrote that? link??

UrinalCake
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
You'll find that same Infiniti ad banner on a few hundred college basketball websites promoting the tournament, with quotes from 10 different coaches.

Maybe we can get an ad up for Roy Williams's book, "Hard Work," with special foreward from Deon Thompson.

enick66
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
The fact that Florida is offering Gibbs a scholarship is interesting. I think you could infer that they are definitely worried about Rivers decommiting.

Or you could infer that they know that they will lose Brandon Knight to UK.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/15/new-recruiting-feature-on-march-to-march-weekly-whispers/

Here is a link to our new friend ballerjunkie. It doesn't get too specific, but there is a little blurb about his background. In regards to all of these "rumors," let me remind all of you that it was a little known sports blogger from Iowa that was the first to break the Harrison Barnes to UNC thing. Everyone here tried to dismiss it saying he was just some hotshot trying to bring attention to himself. Well, guess what?!? I know this is a bit different, but just because his name isn't Andy Katz or whatever, it doesn't mean we should completely dismiss it. Rumors are rumors as everyone has said, but they have to start somewhere! Just saying is all.

YourLandlord
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
who wrote that? link??
Not from an article, just a post on another message board (non-Duke, non-college basketball message board, just in a subforum that discusses college hoops). The guy works at ESPN in Bristol though, FWIW.

Dukeface88
03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Here is a link to our new friend ballerjunkie. It doesn't get too specific, but there is a little blurb about his background. In regards to all of these "rumors," let me remind all of you that it was a little known sports blogger from Iowa that was the first to break the Harrison Barnes to UNC thing. Everyone here tried to dismiss it saying he was just some hotshot trying to bring attention to himself. Well, guess what?!?

With all the Barnes rumors flying around, someone had to be right. It doesn't mean those that were had information that was any more credible than those who were wrong. It just means they won the coin flip.

I'm not saying it isn't encouraging, but let's not make it more than it actually is.

BD80
03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Maybe we can get an ad up for Roy Williams's book, "Hard Work," with special foreward from Deon Thompson.

I thught it was Deon who was writing a book about his time at unc under ol' roy, entitled "Hard Time."

Or you could infer that Billy can't count.

Or that Billy is going to run a four guard offense.

Or that Austin will be in Durham.

I'll take (c).

sdotbarbee
03-17-2010, 02:46 PM
With all the Barnes rumors flying around, someone had to be right. It doesn't mean those that were had information that was any more credible than those who were wrong. It just means they won the coin flip.

I'm not saying it isn't encouraging, but let's not make it more than it actually is.

No need to worry so much, this guy could be wrong but he could be right so lets stay positive. All of the "rumors" coming out are all pointing towards Duke getting a very special player, in Rivers, and I am excited about it. Whether he decides to come to Durham or not our recruiting has been very good the past year and is looking really good already for 2011.

juise
03-17-2010, 02:47 PM

I was thinking along those lines as well. That's just pure speculation on my part.

And while I was one of the first to caution people about getting excited when these "articles" are posted, I have to admit that the title of this thread ("where there's smoke, there's fire") is appropriate for links. I think they count as smoke. :)

should_be_working
03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
With all these rumors surfacing, does that somehow indicate that he is getting closer to making his decision? Did he say when he was going to make a decision? It might be mentioned in this thread, but I missed it.

AlaskanAssassin
03-17-2010, 03:23 PM
With all these rumors surfacing, does that somehow indicate that he is getting closer to making his decision? Did he say when he was going to make a decision? It might be mentioned in this thread, but I missed it.

"I’m gonna get things going with my AAU team and by the time school starts next year, I’ll be solidly committed to a school." - Austin Rivers in his recent diary.

Duke of Nashville
03-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I also remember seeing somewhere that River's potential change of commitment depended on where his peers also ended up going to school. As far as Florida vs. Duke is this matter you still have a toss up of potential factors that could influence his decision.

Duke: One of the better recruiting classes coming in the year prior (2010-2011) that provides excellent teammates that you can depend on at a consistant level. He could be the "man" or the go-to-guy if you may say, with a year or two of hard work proving to the staff that he can be effective.

or

Florida: The ability to shine in your home state with an average recruiting class coming in that will give him the ability to be the star from day one.

Either way the kid will excel wherever he plays.

-bdbd
03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I also remember seeing somewhere that River's potential change of commitment depended on where his peers also ended up going to school. As far as Florida vs. Duke is this matter you still have a toss up of potential factors that could influence his decision.

Duke: One of the better recruiting classes coming in the year prior (2010-2011) that provides excellent teammates that you can depend on at a consistant level. He could be the "man" or the go-to-guy if you may say, with a year or two of hard work proving to the staff that he can be effective.

or

Florida: The ability to shine in your home state with an average recruiting class coming in that will give him the ability to be the star from day one.

Yeah, but at Duke he'll excel ON TELEVISION ALL THE TIME, AND THEN IN RUNS THROUGH THE NCAAT. Not as likely south of the border... (FL)

I thought the rumor was that if this year's #1 PG (Boynton) from Florida chose to go to UofF, then that would greatly hamper UofF's chances with Rivers. In general, you have to like the general direction of the current rumors. It seems like he's a special talent, and it would be amazing to see him alongside Kyrie, Gbinge, Curry, Plumleeet al.

:D

Duke of Nashville
03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah, but at Duke he'll excel ON TELEVISION ALL THE TIME, AND THEN IN RUNS THROUGH THE NCAAT. Not as likely south of the border... (FL)

I thought the rumor was that if this year's #1 PG (Boynton) from Florida chose to go to UofF, then that would greatly hamper UofF's chances with Rivers. In general, you have to like the general direction of the current rumors. It seems like he's a special talent, and it would be amazing to see him alongside Kyrie, Gbinge, Curry, Plumleeet al.

I am completely on your side. There are a ton of potential influences for both schools to sway Rivers to either program. It will play itself out. Either way I do not think we will have to worry about Florida beating us again in the carrier dome for a while.

and...

maybe this all comes down to.... "The Curse" (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=31276)

Vasherized
03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
In trying to decode how legit this rumor is, you're still missing the forest for the trees.

THERE IS A SUPREMELY HIGH CHANCE AUSTIN RIVERS BECOMES A DUKE BLUE DEVIL.

Just because he hasn't committed yet doesn't mean this can't be deemed as potentially very good news.

Just trying to stick to the big picture here since we don't have video of the kid saying he's committing to Duke yet.

But it's coming...

JohnGalt
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM

I think you also have to consider that Boynton hasn't fully lived up to expectations though. He's been solid, but hasn't played to the level everyone was anticipating. Rivers could look to that and see that he has a good shot at overtaking Boynton as the go-to combo guard...just a thought

sdotbarbee
03-17-2010, 05:43 PM

or

I take it as a good sign that since Brad Beal committed to UF that is very good news for Duke. I can't imagine the top two shooting guards from the '011 class would want to go to the same school. I think the Beal commitment signifies the end of Rivers going to UF. I was very pleased to see Beal commit to UF since he didn't commit to us.

CA Cameron Crazie
03-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Although Rivers hasn't committed, I'm happy that Duke is in the discussion and we got there without going behind anyone's back. My gut says he eventually becomes a Dukie, but I'd rather wait for him to be sure versus having him back out like he did at Florida.

oldnavy
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Your head could explode from trying to guess at what is going to happen with these recruits!
What is certain is that Nate James has made an impact, and K has changed his recruiting philosophy just enough to make things very interesting and I am more encouraged now than I have been in years!!

Greg_Newton
03-17-2010, 05:52 PM
In trying to decode how legit this rumor is, you're still missing the forest for the trees.

THERE IS A SUPREMELY HIGH CHANCE AUSTIN RIVERS BECOMES A DUKE BLUE DEVIL.

Just because he hasn't committed yet doesn't mean this can't be deemed as potentially very good news.

Just trying to stick to the big picture here since we don't have video of the kid saying he's committing to Duke yet.

But it's coming...

I like "hearing smoke", but I think I speak for most here when I say I've learned not to count my chickens before... there's a fire... errr, hold on.

Anyway, the info you linked seems to read like an opinion based on things we already know, not an opinion based on a conversation with a source. He never once mentioned inside knowledge, and his reasoning in the article was (paraphrased) "K usually gets what he wants > K coaches the olympic team > Austin Rivers will probably go to Duke".

If that's all he's basing it on, it's no more valuable than any of the other million posts on his thread. However, if he's hearing specific things from people who would know, that would be something I'd like to hear - but why would he not mention this? He wouldn't have to name his sources, but at least give a brief mention/paraphrase of what he's basing his speculation on... otherwise we have no reason to give him any benefit of the doubt.

WannabeDukie
03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Do not forget that this kid lives and goes to high school in Florida. Given this little piece of information I for one would not like to announce that I am de-commiting from the in state school (WHERE MANY OF HIS CLASSMATES ARE PROBABLY GOING) to commit to a school that has a love/hate reputation with the entire nation.... Can you imagine the feedback he would receive from his friends and classmates for the remainder of the school year? IF he plans on executing the above scenario I suggest we all wait until summer to get our hopes up for any announcement...just food for thought

Mcluhan
03-18-2010, 12:56 AM
You guys are missing the point.

THERE IS A SUPREMELY HIGH CHANCE THAT WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHERE AUSTIN RIVERS WILL GO TO COLLEGE.

striker219
03-18-2010, 01:20 AM
I like "hearing smoke", but I think I speak for most here when I say I've learned not to count my chickens before... there's a fire... errr, hold on.

I have something that I would like to add, and it seems almost as meaningful as the last 20 or so comments, and that is that barbecue chicken is delicious. With a little smoke, but not too much.

Anyway, if A.R. is reading this, we would all love to see you as a Blue Devil!

cbfx3
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Wow... been watching some hi-lites. this kid can flat out play some b-ball. Incredible off the dribble.

JohnGalt
03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
You guys are missing the point.

THERE IS A SUPREMELY HIGH CHANCE THAT WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHERE AUSTIN RIVERS WILL GO TO COLLEGE.

haha, well put. I would argue higher than "supremely high" however.

Vasherized
03-18-2010, 03:32 PM
The news that Rivers will commit to Duke has nothing to do with Coach K coaching the Olympic team nor was that implied anywhere.

What kind of sources typically don't want to be named?

Family.

Remember the original title to this thread? Well the smoke is blowing heavily to the North. That should be good enough to sleep on until it's official.

IBleedBlue
03-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Hopefully, we make a deep run in this tournament. And since UFL is ousted from the tournament, it will further help build a good image of Duke for this kid.

Greg_Newton
03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
The news that Rivers will commit to Duke has nothing to do with Coach K coaching the Olympic team nor was that implied anywhere.

What kind of sources typically don't want to be named?

Family.

Remember the original title to this thread? Well the smoke is blowing heavily to the North. That should be good enough to sleep on until it's official.

Well, this was all he wrote about the recruitment (I cut out the part about the olympic team since you say it's unrelated).

Well, it is not official, but reading the palm tree leaves in Florida, shooting guard Austin Rivers will be a Duke Blue Devil in 2011.

I know most of you Florida Gator fans are buying up Swampland like it’s beach-front property with the hopes Rivers stays committed (he’s that good), but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

The bad news here for Florida is that Coach K needs a combo guard. And he usually gets what he wants. In the end, Coach K out-draws Billy the Kid in this high noon showdown for Doc’s kid.

You see, it never hurts when your future college coach is one of the most recognized and respected names in all of sports.

That's the only explanation for his prediction... he doesn't mention the word "source" once, or imply he has any.

It is somewhat comforting to hear you say that he is in fact basing his statement on conversations with family (if I'm reading your post correctly), but usually when writers post information from sources they'll at least mention "a source close to the situation", etc, to give us some reason to put stock in their words. It's asking a lot to assume we'll trust a blog post that doesn't even claim to have sources, particularly with all of the "inside" info we got re: a certain recruit this fall.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Hopefully, we make a deep run in this tournament. And since UFL is ousted from the tournament, it will further help build a good image of Duke for this kid.

Lol, Duke does not have to build any kind of image for themselves or him. We're a #1 seed and we earned it just like we always have. He knows what he'll get from Duke I just hope he thinks he'll get more from us.

Indoor66
03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Lol, Duke does not have to build any kind of image for themselves or him. We're a #1 seed and we earned it just like we always have. He knows what he'll get from Duke I just hope he thinks he'll get more from us.

And Florida lost in the 1st round of the tournament - today!

AlaskanAssassin
03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Since the first two rounds are in FL, maybe he'll make a trip. Anyone knows?

Starter
03-20-2010, 06:56 AM
The back cover of the New York Daily News on my doorstep this morning speculates that St. John's should and will target Donovan to replace Norm Roberts. For obvious reasons, we should root for this. (Not to mention that I'd like SJU to be good again; I'm partial since my grandfather played ball there in the 20's)

Here are links: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/19/2010-03-19_st_johns_fires_head_coach_norm_roberts_after_re d_storms_nit_loss.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/20/2010-03-20_roberts_out_billy_ball_in.html

JohnGalt
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Most schools in the north with the obvious exceptions of a few - UCONN, Syracuse, et al - have trouble keeping talent in the area. Most of the kids seem to want to get out. IMO, Billy D, being the LI kid he is has a treasure trove of talent from which to pull. It's a little scary of a proposition though because St Johns hasn't been relevant since Artest suited up and - like I said - most of the recruits want to get out.

moonpie23
03-20-2010, 09:25 AM
For obvious reasons, we should root for this. (Not to mention that I'd like SJU to be good again; I'm partial since my grandfather played ball there in the 20's)

ok...umm..aside from your grand dad, why exactly would we want a good coach languishing in the sec to get a chance to get out and go coach somewhere duke might run into now and again???
;)

yancem
03-20-2010, 10:29 AM
ok...umm..aside from your grand dad, why exactly would we want a good coach languishing in the sec to get a chance to get out and go coach somewhere duke might run into now and again???
;)

Well if Donavan goes to St. John's then I doubt that Rivers would still go to Florida, which I think was the point of his post.

Indoor66
03-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Well if Donavan goes to St. John's then I doubt that Rivers would still go to Florida, which I think was the point of his post.

IMHO, there is as much chance of Donavan leaving Florida and going to St. John's as there is for me to become the coach at St. Johns - 0, Zilch, Nada.

juise
03-20-2010, 12:02 PM
IMHO, there is as much chance of Donavan leaving Florida and going to St. John's as there is for me to become the coach at St. Johns - 0, Zilch, Nada.

I agree. If the Orlando Magic couldn't pry him away, I have no idea how St. John's could. He seems like the kind who would rather be a big fish in a small pond (the SEC).

BD80
03-20-2010, 12:14 PM
The back cover of the New York Daily News on my doorstep this morning speculates that St. John's should and will target Donovan to replace Norm Roberts. For obvious reasons, we should root for this. (Not to mention that I'd like SJU to be good again; I'm partial since my grandfather played ball there in the 20's)

Here are links: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/19/2010-03-19_st_johns_fires_head_coach_norm_roberts_after_re d_storms_nit_loss.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/20/2010-03-20_roberts_out_billy_ball_in.html

Crazy talk, and they know it. Billy is (or at least was recently) the highest paid college coach.

Monasch was asked during a conference call yesterday whether the school would pay a coach who would rank among the 25 highest-salaried in the country and said, "Yes, we are ready to make that commitment."

Donovan will not come cheaply. He is making $3.5 million a year at Florida, a number that may be too rich for St. John's blood.

They are just throwing out names to make it look like a desirable job, and to please the alum.

Not a great way to keep salary expectations low though.

Starter
03-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Haha, yes, the point was that if Donovan left Florida, Rivers would be a near-lock for us. Not my grandfather, though Murray really was an excellent guy. You'll have to take my word for it.

SJU claims they want to throw "top 25" money after a coach because they're sick of being irrelevant. Speaking of being irrelevant, how about Donovan? Who really checks for Donovan anymore? Most of the time, I personally forget he exists. That would end if he comes to the city, which is starved for a good St. John's team. If he even gets SJU to the tournament at this point, I think they throw a parade for him. Just look at how significant even a coach like Jarvis was when he was here.

And in terms of being a big fish in a small SEC pond, I mean, that's Calipari at this point, not Donovan.

Starter
03-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Crazy talk, and they know it. Billy is (or at least was recently) the highest paid college coach.

They are just throwing out names to make it look like a desirable job, and to please the alum.

There's a decent chance you're right. Or maybe they figure a big-time St. John's team would pay for its coach itself. Either way, it does feel like Donovan's gotten pretty stale at Florida. And if he loses Rivers...?

theAlaskanBear
03-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Not a great way to keep salary expectations low though.

Vitale actually had a rational thought last night. He suggested that they try to higher someone like Mark Jackson. Someone who will bring buzz and recruits more so than normal. Pete Gillen was suggested by Digger, cause hes a New York guy and has connections to the basketball academies in NYC, but I just don't see it....

muzikfrk75
03-20-2010, 12:34 PM
2 things:

1-There's no way that Donovan is going to St. John's.
2-Even Austin Rivers doesn't know what school he's going to right now.

Until then, can we enjoy this CURRENT Duke team? :cool:

Starter
03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
1. I think stranger things have happened, though I agree it's unlikely.
2. If Donovan went somewhere, I think Rivers would know real fast where he's going to go.

I agree with your third point. :D

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
1. We don't know what anyone else is thinking right now, Maybe Austin has already made up his mind, no one knows except him.

juise
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
And in terms of being a big fish in a small SEC pond, I mean, that's Calipari at this point, not Donovan.

He's just the other big fish. I didn't say Donovan was THE big fish. :)

ScreechTDX1847
03-20-2010, 12:46 PM

I can't freaking stand it when people say this. Talking about the team is what fans do.

I guess this means you think it impossible to both enjoy the current Duke team and discuss other facets of the program? Nonsense.

houstondukie
03-20-2010, 12:49 PM
2 things:

1-There's no way that Donovan is going to St. John's.
2-Even Austin Rivers doesn't know what school he's going to right now.

If so, then why did you decide to click on this thread, read the posts, and then decide to reply?

Did you also post on the thread "The Ivan Brothers" with similar sentiments? Or the UNC-NIT thread?

My point is, as fans we can talk about anything we want. If you don't like a thread topic, don't read it. Nobody is forcing you to talk about Austin Rivers or anything else that is not related to "this CURRENT Duke team."

Cockabeau
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Austin Rivers has unreal talent. I can't think of one aspect of his game that isn't superb.

Jon scheyer with hops and speed.

muzikfrk75
03-20-2010, 01:25 PM
If so, then why did you decide to click on this thread, read the posts, and then decide to reply?

Did you also post on the thread "The Ivan Brothers" with similar sentiments? Or the UNC-NIT thread?

My point is, as fans we can talk about anything we want. If you don't like a thread topic, don't read it. Nobody is forcing you to talk about Austin Rivers or anything else that is not related to "this CURRENT Duke team."

Whoa temper temper..lol..all I'm saying is that the kid hasn't made a decision yet, and doesn't sound like he's even close to making one. And Donovan going to St. John's would basically be a demotion, kind of like K going to the Nets.

That_Dude
03-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Donovan turned down a big time opportunity with Magic, and he also turned down the UK job TWICE, which was once thought to be his dream job... Why on earth would he want to go to St. Johns and 1) take a pay cut, 2) move his family, and 3) start the rebuilding process all over? If he was ever gonna leave Florida, it would've been in '07 for the Magic imo, or maybe last spring when UK was knocking again... Orlando was most likely tho, because he wouldn't have had to move his family... St Johns folks are just dreaming if you ask me.

As for Rivers, we'll see. As a Florida fan, I think he really likes Duke, but mainly he just wants to see who he'll be playing with @ each school. I believe he's already stated that the fact Duke is winning and Florida is down a little bit isn't why he started looking @ Duke. He just wants to take in the whole process a little bit and enjoy it, and see what else is out there. He realizes that things can change quickly it takes time to rebuild, so Florida losing is not a deal breaker. He's a Florida guy, so i'm sure he follows the team and knows what's going on here. He'll have a good squad around him in 2011 if he sticks around. I know Duke is putting together a good squad too, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

muzikfrk75
03-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Donovan turned down a big time opportunity with Magic, and he also turned down the UK job TWICE, which was once thought to be his dream job... Why on earth would he want to go to St. Johns and 1) take a pay cut, 2) move his family, and 3) start the rebuilding process all over? If he was ever gonna leave Florida, it would've been in '07 for the Magic imo, or maybe last spring when UK was knocking again... Orlando was most likely tho, because he wouldn't have had to move his family... St Johns folks are just dreaming if you ask me.

As for Rivers, we'll see. As a Florida fan, I think he really likes Duke, but mainly he just wants to see who he'll be playing with @ each school. I believe he's already stated that the fact Duke is winning and Florida is down a little bit isn't why he started looking @ Duke. He just wants to take in the whole process a little bit and enjoy it, and see what else is out there. He realizes that things can change quickly it takes time to rebuild, so Florida losing is not a deal breaker. He's a Florida guy, so i'm sure he follows the team and knows what's going on here. He'll have a good squad around him in 2011 if he sticks around. I know Duke is putting together a good squad too, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

True. One thing I just thought about...even though he's won a couple of titles, Florida is still a football school and Donovan is and will continue to be in Urban's shadow. I still don't think that's nearly enough for him to go to St. John's though.

Olympic Fan
03-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Just wanted to say,m the next coach at St. John's will be Rick Pitino.

Bank on it.

-jk
03-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Just wanted to say,m the next coach at St. John's will be Rick Pitino.

Bank on it.

Interesting! I guess it's time for someone to start the annual Coaching Carousel thread...

-jk

houstondukie
03-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Whoa temper temper..lol..all I'm saying is that the kid hasn't made a decision yet, and doesn't sound like he's even close to making one. And Donovan going to St. John's would basically be a demotion, kind of like K going to the Nets.

Sorry if I came across that way, all I'm saying is that since we are fans we can multitask and talk about the Rivers' situation while at the same time enjoying our current Duke team... And I agree 100% with your other points.

jimsumner
03-20-2010, 06:33 PM
"C'mon people. Tnink! "

Absolutely. Don't ya just hate it when people post without tninking?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

WiJoe
03-20-2010, 09:04 PM
"C'mon people. Tnink! "

Absolutely. Don't ya just hate it when people post without tninking?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

Got me.

That_Dude
03-23-2010, 07:07 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/956409.html

Scout.com, according to a source, learned that Florida took itself out of contention for Knight’s services. The move will do nothing except fuel the theory that Kentucky is in the driver’s seat for Knight.

Florida’s decision to remove itself from the Knight recruitment comes at a curious time and lends credence to a pair of theories.

For starters, Florida must believe that Knight made a decision and it doesn’t involve the Gators. Why else would Billy Donovan’s crew remove itself after having recruited Knight for so long? Personally, we never thought Knight and Kenny Boynton would ball together after they ended a strong AAU run with Team Breakdown.

The other interesting aspect of the Gators decision to take themselves out of the Knight recruitment has ramifications with their Class of 2011 recruiting. If you were of the school of thought that believed Knight and Austin Rivers weren’t going to Florida together, well, give yourself a bonus point.

By hedging its bets and opting out of the Knight recruitment, the Gators are likely to turn their full attention to Rivers. The competition for Rivers is Duke and the Devils put themselves in good position. Florida, the school Rivers first committed to, now has its energy centered on just one guard instead of two.

Knight not coming should definitely help FLA's chances with Rivers, imo, but we'll have to see how this shakes out.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/956409.html

This should definitely help FLA's chances with Rivers, imo. We'll see how this shakes out.

Or possible hurt, I've read he was recruiting bk to go to florida to play along side him.

That_Dude
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Or possible hurt, I've read he was recruiting bk to go to florida to play along side him.

No I dont think so, there is only one ball. If I remember correctly, these two did not compliment each other well when they were on the AAU circuit together. Both are ball dominant players.

sivartrenrag
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Aren't they in different classes? And if BK is as good as advertised, he'll probably be a 1-and-done, so I'm not sure what kind of effect this has on AR's recruitment. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

ScreechTDX1847
03-23-2010, 11:14 PM
In general, good players want to play with good players. This hurts Florida in my opinion, though I think Rivers has likely already made his decision.

SilkyJ
03-23-2010, 11:47 PM
though I think Rivers has likely already made his decision.

And that statement says it all. If he hasn't made up his mind then why are we speculating so much? If he has made up his mind, well, he's done that before and then changed it, so why are we speculating so much??

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2010, 07:03 AM
And that statement says it all. If he hasn't made up his mind then why are we speculating so much? If he has made up his mind, well, he's done that before and then changed it, so why are we speculating so much??

Because speculation in fun, and forums are a great platform for speculating.

roywhite
03-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Because speculation in fun, and forums are a great platform for speculating.

Speaking of speculation, apparently Billy Donovan did not have any interest in the St. John's job, but now Oregon is reportedly going after him.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Speaking of speculation, apparently Billy Donovan did not have any interest in the St. John's job, but now Oregon is reportedly going after him.

Yeah, Oregon wants to go after a big time coach. I heard they were interested in PJ Carlesimo which would be a terrible hire IMO. They need a big time coach and Donovan fits the bill. Why he would leave Florida for Oregon I don't really know. They may be able to offer him more $ because their athletic department is ridiculously loaded, but other than that I don't really know :D

airowe
03-24-2010, 08:15 AM
They need a big time coach and Donovan fits the bill.

There must be something I'm not seeing because I don't agree with this statement at all. He had a great two-year run, but so did Steve Fisher. Even in Donovan's first title year, his team wasn't all that good during the regular season.

-bdbd
03-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Aren't they in different classes? And if BK is as good as advertised, he'll probably be a 1-and-done, so I'm not sure what kind of effect this has on AR's recruitment. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I could swear that I read somewhere in the last few weeks someone quoting AR that if Knight went to UF, then that would hurt their chances of getting him. I could be misremembering - maybe it was a quote from someone in his camp. There is a logic to it.

Maybe they didn't get along or maybe there was so much overlap on skill-sets to be perceived as a threat for minutes. One things for sure -- at Duke he'll have lots of quality teammates to play with on TV every game...

Who ever knows with these things?? We'll know when he announces, likely not before.

BD80
03-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Oregon wants to go after a big time coach. I heard they were interested in PJ Carlesimo which would be a terrible hire IMO. They need a big time coach and Donovan fits the bill. Why he would leave Florida for Oregon I don't really know. They may be able to offer him more $ because their athletic department is ridiculously loaded, but other than that I don't really know :D

There is zero chance he goes to Oregon. Wait, I mean there is a chance he goes to Oregon when Phil Knight adds a ZERO to Billy's paycheck!

I am rooting for this to happen. One, it would greatly increase our position with Austin. Two, think of the pressure that would be on Billy. He went through a period when he took over at Florida when there were accusations and whispers of unethical recruiting tactics. With all that shoe money and such pressure, would we hear the whispers again?

Dukeknights
03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
anyone else hearing about Doc Rivers wanting Austin to take visits to UNC, UCONN and UCLA?

Greg_Newton
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
anyone else hearing about Doc Rivers wanting Austin to take visits to UNC, UCONN and UCLA?

Isn't that old news, from an article from last fall?

However, Austin appears to have some interest in Texas and... sigh... UK: http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/os-vtw-all-cf-boys-0325-20100324,0,5456320.story

Dukeknights
03-24-2010, 04:19 PM
he never really said in that article about being recruited by them or them being on his list...more of saying he just likes watching them.

roywhite
03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Isn't that old news, from an article from last fall?

However, Austin appears to have some interest in Texas and... sigh... UK: http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/os-vtw-all-cf-boys-0325-20100324,0,5456320.story

The general concept of looking around further doesn't bother me. It's probably not good for UF and may provide some cover for a change from his UF verbal commitment.

Comments I see relating to Duke remain positive.

username
03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=2&c=956964&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnorthcarolina.scout.com% 2f2%2f956964.html

BlueintheFace
03-25-2010, 03:06 PM
UNC is trying to get involved.

I don't think Roy was given permission, but it is unclear.

I wouldn't stress about it.

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
More smoke about the North Carolina interest from Evan Daniels' latest Tweet.

UNC in the mix? (http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/11047835573)

MarkD83
03-25-2010, 03:10 PM
but UNC is short on scholarships.

For 2011 they have 14 scholarship players. So at least one player (other than seniors) has to leave (probably Davis). If UNC takes another player from the 2011 class that means someone else (besides Davis) also has to leave.

Dukeknights
03-25-2010, 03:32 PM
1.) Roy has an obessesion with Duke recruits. I am surprised he didn't go after Kyrie. What is the need of recruiting a 5-star SG when you already have one in the truck? and are going to have 4-5 on the roster the season he comes in. If Roy would like to try to nail Duke again on a recruit and get Austin to have about 5-6 guards, no wing player, and only two above average post men then have it.

2) Rivers isn't going to UNC. If he does, we should just completely drop out of contention with any recruit UNC has offered and focus on others...

3) He said he is deciding in August, this tells me he will be deciding between Florida and Duke.

4) UNC hasn't even started recruiting him yet, just scouting. If he takes a visit to UNC, without visiting Duke as well, then i get a bit nervous.

cbnaylor
03-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Why wouldn't Carolina go after him......I'm surprised it took this long....Austin is clearly one of the best players coming out of the 2011 class...I do agree though that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go after him when you have others at that position...but doesn't Duke already have a few too....just saying.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
1.) Roy has an obessesion with Duke recruits. I am surprised he didn't go after Kyrie. What is the need of recruiting a 5-star SG when you already have one in the truck? and are going to have 4-5 on the roster the season he comes in. If Roy would like to try to nail Duke again on a recruit and get Austin to have about 5-6 guards, no wing player, and only two above average post men then have it.

2) Rivers isn't going to UNC. If he does, we should just completely drop out of contention with any recruit UNC has offered and focus on others...

3) He said he is deciding in August, this tells me he will be deciding between Florida and Duke.

4) UNC hasn't even started recruiting him yet, just scouting. If he takes a visit to UNC, without visiting Duke as well, then i get a bit nervous.

What? They will have two stud wing players in Harrison Barnes (unless he leaves after one year) and Reggie Bullock. They would be loaded at the 2/3, solid at the 1 (Drew and Marshall), perhaps, ironically, weakest at 4/5, although still very solid there.

Heelo
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Makes me wonder if Strickland/MacDonald will be at UNC next season.

RepoMan
03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
solid at the 1 (Drew and Marshall)

Keep dreamin' the dream.

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Roy Williams is visiting with Rivers as we speak and Florida is officially out.

Weekly Whispers (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/25/weekly-whispers-austin-rivers-corey-joseph-aau-tidbits/)

RepoMan
03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
and Florida is officially out.

Weekly Whispers (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/25/weekly-whispers-austin-rivers-corey-joseph-aau-tidbits/)

Does this blog really count as "official"?

IBleedBlue
03-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I believe this season has changed Roy's perspective of his own recruitment. Usually, Roy goes after some top kids pretty early and says "Here's teh scholarship, take it or leave it". Seeing the Carolina name, the high school kids accept it most of the times. Like Kendall, Bullock, Henson did very early in their recruitment. It so happened that (or atleast the season showed) that many of them didn't turn out as they were supposed to.
It seems now Roy is going after the following recruits:
1. Brandon Knight
2. Marquis Teague
3. Cory Joseph
4. Austin Rivers

NOTE: I collected above names from all the threads I have been reading here, at TDD and at IC.

Mainly because he needs someone to play along with or back up Kendall Marshall as the next season comes along.

We will see how Austin's recruitment pans out. Let's not dig deep into this as we did for Harrison Barnes. Relax and let things happen.

WiJoe
03-25-2010, 04:58 PM

huck is quite the leech

Channing
03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
i wonder what the self righteous pUNC fans who said K was improperly meddling will say now? My guess is that it has now become clear that AR is not committed, before he was still committed to Fla (despite not revoking his verbal).

G man
03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Not sure what to think about this supposed new development. I hate UNC more than just about anything else. Is it just me or does everyone on this board including myself collectively hold their breath when UNC is going after the same guys as we do. I hate being pessimistic. Screw it I hope they go after him with everything they have and come up short. I hope the pansies in pale blue are stuck in the NIT for the next decade.

JasonEvans
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Bring it on.

Any kid this good would be foolish to not consider all his options. He should listen to what Roy has to say and where Roy feels he would fit into the program. He'd be insane not to.

--Jason "so long as he does not announce via Skype ;)" Evans

fgb
03-25-2010, 05:32 PM
i guess ol' roy figures he can convince rivers that k plans on using him in the low post.

Starter
03-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Bring it on? Hardly, I can't downplay this. We have a right to feel apprehensive after a situation just this past fall where K put in twice the time, put in twice the work and the kid -- who at one time seemed like a Duke lock -- went in the other direction. Make no mistake: This is a very important recruit for Duke.

That said, if Roy makes it known he's putting on a full-court press for Austin and he still comes to Duke, which I think is far more than plausible, then that'll have the same effect on perceptions that Barnes picking UNC did back in November. So perhaps we can make the best of what has rapidly become a tenuous situation.

And I'm sure Austin sees what's happened since Barnes committed. I wonder if Barnes had had the ability to look ahead and see that he was joining an NIT team on the rebound instead of picking a 30-win team with the potential to make the Final Four, if he'd still go in the same direction.

I had little faith in Duke getting Barnes, by the way. I felt all along that was like trying to hold on to a girl that had lost interest in you and had started dating someone else. I feel very differently about Rivers. I think the good guys are going to win this one. But it may not be as easy as we thought it would be.

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 05:41 PM
What makes a blog "official"?

Read some of Kevin Berger's tourney previews. Apparently they're good enough for ESPN to name Marchtomarch blog of the week on SportsNation yesterday. Cowherd reads it daily. So do a few thousand others. Don't necessarily judge something by how many comments it gets. The site was just launched in Feb.

We went through this two weeks ago when I posted Rivers had cooled on Florida, the Gators were already looking at another guard and Duke had a solid lead.

I guess once it plays out you can make that decision. Meanwhile, I'll keep passing along recruiting info from legitimate sources (with close ties to Rivers' family) that I think is relevant.

Dukeknights
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
What? They will have two stud wing players in Harrison Barnes (unless he leaves after one year) and Reggie Bullock. They would be loaded at the 2/3, solid at the 1 (Drew and Marshall), perhaps, ironically, weakest at 4/5, although still very solid there.

if you think Barnes is staying...I don't think he will.

If he passes up the #1 pick in the draft, there is something wrong with him, and his mother.

Kedsy
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Isn't this the same blog who last week said Rivers was coming to Duke? (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/17/weekly-whispers-3172010-duke-and-kentucky-do-the-chomping/)

If he's changing his tune so quickly, I wonder how good his sources really are.

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Dude. Really? This is recruiting. It's fluid.

Duke did lead for Rivers' commitment until Roy Williams got on the horn with Doc and decided to fly to Florida. Rivers is listening.

He still likely ends up at Duke.

Doesn't mean we're not going to write about it.

A-Tex Devil
03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
What makes a blog "official"?

Read some of Kevin Berger's tourney previews. Apparently they're good enough for ESPN to name Marchtomarch blog of the week on SportsNation yesterday. Cowherd reads it daily. So do a few thousand others. Don't necessarily judge something by how many comments it gets. The site was just launched in Feb.

We went through this two weeks ago when I posted Rivers had cooled on Florida, the Gators were already looking at another guard and Duke had a solid lead.

I guess once it plays out you can make that decision. Meanwhile, I'll keep passing along recruiting info from legitimate sources (with close ties to Rivers' family) that I think is relevant.

I'll second Vasherized a bit here. While the recruiting leads and rumors are just that... leads and rumors, if you follow college basketball blogs and are not reading March to March, you are missing out on some high quality college basketball analysis. I don't know of a single Duke blog or site that has broken down Duke and the way K has adapted his personnel this year as well as Kevin Berger has the last 6 weeks on March to March. I've also enjoyed the fact that he is one of the few neutral observers that doesn't have an immediate disdain for all things Duke......(ahem, Chris Chase).

Now he picked Cal to win on Sunday, but we all make mistakes.

I hope we get Austin, but I don't usually follow recruiting unless it's uncommitted seniors like Barnes or Wall. Let the kids be kids. Even if that means changing their mind a couple dozen times...

BoozerWasFouled
03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
These blogs are just trying to direct traffic to their site by running with the rumor of the moment.

One week Rivers is all but official to Duke, the next he is a lock to UNC.

We should have a policy where we don't allow people pimping their websites to come on here. Anyone who glances at a message board occasionally could make a comparable website.

Kedsy
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Dude. Really? This is recruiting. It's fluid.

Duke did lead for Rivers' commitment until Roy Williams got on the horn with Doc and decided to fly to Florida. Rivers is listening.

He still likely ends up at Duke.

Doesn't mean we're not going to write about it.

I completely agree you should write about it, and I find the blog interesting. But I guess what I was trying to say is there's a big difference between "Duke is leading" and "Austin Rivers will be a Duke Blue Devil in 2011," which is what you (the blog is yours?) wrote last week.

Similarly, this week you say it's a two-horse race between Duke and UNC and that "Florida is out." If that turns out to be true, then I salute you, but if next week you tell us some other school is in it, or that Florida is back in, then to me at least it makes your definitive statements difficult to credit.

BD80
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
ol' roy has a strong pitch: Duke will be loaded in the backcourt and he would have to compete for PT with Irving, Curry, Gbinje, Thornton and Dawkins,

at unc he'd have to compete with .... um ... well ....

Of course, Austin is that good that he will get PT at Duke and he knows it.

When ol' roy whiffs here (and I HOPE Austin is too smart to fall for his spiel) it would be fair to say the recruiting Mojo is back in Durham, where the best coach in the nation has resided for 30 years.

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the comments, A-Tex.

Boozer,

Give it a shot and let me know how that works out. It's a hell of a lot of work, it's work we're proud of and I challenge you to find a site with better comprehensive tourney coverage. And this is a three man crew.

Have you ever tried to write about a team other than Duke? It's not easy.

We're certainly not making money off the few hundred Blue Devils fans that have stopped by. That's not why we started it. But thanks for breaking down the Internet content hierarchy for everybody. We'll still be posting relevant info for folks that want to read it.

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Kedsy,

Well said. I agree with a lot of that.

It's hard to say anything is definitive with a whimsical 18 yr old kid being targeted by two powerhouse basketball programs. But we have a direct line to Rivers and what's definitive one day can certainly change the next. Maybe we need a better word. It wouldn't be exciting to follow if a kid committed to a school a year in advance and nothing ever happened in between.

wilko
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Phooey..

Still tho... someone needs to go tell Roy what his agenda should be. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRykTpw1RQ) I get tired of him poking around.

**** Link to Bill Hicks comedy routine. Bad Language and adult themes.

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
And I still stand by the statement "Rivers will be a Blue Devil in 2011."

There will just be some drama on the way there. :)

watzone
03-25-2010, 06:21 PM
OMG! Surely, there is something to really worry about. What is it with all of this unsubstantiated stuff these days? What ever happened to integrity ... oh, it's the internet;) Read the ACC Sports Journal's media watch this week which addresses the advent of place like AOL Fanhouse, Bleacher Report and other sites where a fan walks off the street and writes generally doing little homework and facts be darned. Inquiries are one thing folks, fruition is another. Try a reputable pay site for accuracy;) Seriously, you cannot believe a word you hear on the Internet these days. Even ESPN runs with rumors now and that is a major issue. See Nets and Coach K a non story which had no validity and K never talked to them, yet ESPN scrolled it??? What the ...

Vasherized
03-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Awesome. You let us know what happens tomorrow when you read "the news" in the paper.

airowe
03-25-2010, 06:36 PM
ol' roy has a strong pitch: Duke will be loaded in the backcourt and he would have to compete for PT with Irving, Curry, Gbinje, Thornton and Dawkins,

at unc he'd have to compete with .... um ... well ....

Of course, Austin is that good that he will get PT at Duke and he knows it.

When ol' roy whiffs here (and I HOPE Austin is too smart to fall for his spiel) it would be fair to say the recruiting Mojo is back in Durham, where the best coach in the nation has resided for 30 years.

Actually, Rivers would have plenty to compete with:

SG
Bullock
Strickland
McDonald
Watts
Hairston

It's pretty clear a major reason roy is getting involved here is because of the beatdown he just took and the fact that he has been getting turned down left and right on the trail now that he's scrambling to replace Drew.

-jk
03-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Folks, it's recruiting. If you want absolutes, wait until they sign a letter of intent. Until then, all sites are reporting on what 18 year old kids are thinking and planning.

Kids.

They don't know how to plan. Very few can deal with the media competently. Reporters of various persuasions hear snippets from various sources and attempt to devine rational meaning. From kids. Ain't gonna happen.

Most of you were 18 once. Think back: it wasn't pretty. Neither is recruiting.

Sort of like the second law of thermodynamics: Recruiting happens.

-jk

BoozerWasFouled
03-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Awesome. You let us know what happens tomorrow when you read "the news" in the paper.

The difference is not between old media and new media.

The difference is between rumor-mongering and reporting.

If watzone reports on his site that a commitment is "all but official," he means it. Other sites report "all but official" and the next day it's suddenly a two-team race.

Yeah, recruiting is fluid. That's why you don't report something as "all but official" unless it actually is.

GarrickB28
03-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but a visit from Roy doesn't mean mutual interest....it can be nothing more than a sit down to see if Austin is interested at all...

77devil
03-25-2010, 07:24 PM

-jk

I like the reference. While there is no irreversibility in nature, it happens in recruiting all the time.

airowe
03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but a visit from Roy doesn't mean mutual interest....it can be nothing more than a sit down to see if Austin is interested at all...

Roy can't even talk to Austin until April 8th at noon. He can simply go watch him.

Zeb
03-25-2010, 08:00 PM
And I'm sure Austin sees what's happened since Barnes committed. I wonder if Barnes had had the ability to look ahead and see that he was joining an NIT team on the rebound instead of picking a 30-win team with the potential to make the Final Four, if he'd still go in the same direction.

Barnes did have that ability--it's called waiting. I have often wondered why more (if not all) 5 star recruits don't announce in the spring. They can see exactly how well their possible schools did the previous season, who is leaving for the NBA, and whether their desired coach/assistants are still going to be there. I understand that some kids just want to get the recruiting process over with, and there is always the risk that a recruit's senior season may not go well, but other than that... why not wait? If my kid were a great high school hoops player, this might be one of the few times I would tell my son to follow John Wall's example.

BD80
03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Actually, Rivers would have plenty to compete with:

SG
Bullock
Strickland
McDonald
Watts
Hairston

Kinda proves my point :D

oldnavy
03-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Surely you are not suggesting that Ol Roy would throw his current players under the bus by recruiting over them....:eek:

airowe
03-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Bullock, Strickland, and Hairston will be solid IMO.

My point is that I really don't see Roy going hard after Rivers because he will be so stacked at that position.

UNC won't be the only new team getting involved with Austin.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
If you think about this logically, it makes a lot of sense.

Seriously, in recent memory, what top prospects have not had top programs try to jump in late and gain interest? We came in late with Wall and Bledsoe. It's recruiting and things change day by day. Im not worried about this much at all. I still think that being on a kid for a long time is important. We have been recruiting him ever since he first reported his wavering with Florida. I, like many other posters on here agree that Austin will be a Blue Devil in 2011 and play alongside Kyrie for 1 year to make the best backcourt in the country for the 2nd year in a row.:D

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Kids.

They don't know how to plan. Very few can deal with the media competently. Reporters of various persuasions hear snippets from various sources and attempt to devine rational meaning. From kids. Ain't gonna happen.
-jk

Same go for some if not most adults.

That_Dude
03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
And I still stand by the statement "Rivers will be a Blue Devil in 2011."

There will just be some drama on the way there. :)

Ask your source to ask Austin, why doesn't he just de-commit from Florida right now, if he's already made up his mind for Duke(or for Duke/UNC)?? That seems like the million dollar question that people want to know. What's the point of being committed to Florida if, according to you, Florida's not in the picture?

moonpie23
03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
word over on IC is that huck is down there visiting Austin right now and is "expected" to steal him away......

airowe
03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Ask your source to ask Austin, why doesn't he just de-commit from Florida right now, if he's already made up his mind for Duke(or for Duke/UNC)?? That seems like the million dollar question that people want to know. What's the point of being committed to Florida if, according to you, Florida's not in the picture?

As it stands right now, Austin is able to keep coaches at bay a little because he is "verbally committed" to Florida. Notice that he was only entertaining one other program while his school and season were going on. Now that that's over and he's coming up on school being out and his AAU Summer starting, he's going to gradually have more schools come to look at him. Then, you'll get your decommitment. As of now, he holds all the cards.

jipops
03-25-2010, 11:43 PM
OMG! Surely, there is something to really worry about. What is it with all of this unsubstantiated stuff these days? What ever happened to integrity ... oh, it's the internet;) Read the ACC Sports Journal's media watch this week which addresses the advent of place like AOL Fanhouse, Bleacher Report and other sites where a fan walks off the street and writes generally doing little homework and facts be darned. Inquiries are one thing folks, fruition is another. Try a reputable pay site for accuracy;) Seriously, you cannot believe a word you hear on the Internet these days. Even ESPN runs with rumors now and that is a major issue. See Nets and Coach K a non story which had no validity and K never talked to them, yet ESPN scrolled it??? What the ...

I just read that article by Wiederer a little while ago. As a non-journalist I still share a lot of the frustrations voiced in the article with what is out there on the internet and the lack of filtering and accountability that takes place. I understand it is a business, making money and making a living is the American way. But it seems that journalism was something was taken very seriously until the past 10 years or so. Facts are now just an option but not a selling point. I'm an avid sports fan who follows college basketball and football, NBA and NFL. But I watch far less sportscenter than I used to. Just give me the box scores and the recaps, I need little else. My interest has feigned for the sports reporters though I do still get a fill of PTI. I have almost zero use for sports radio talk unless a good interview is taking place. David Glenn is the only guy that interests me locally. Most of it just seems to ruin sports for me. Just give me the games. I do want to keep up with recruiting but have to do a lot of filtering on my own with that.

If consumers were less willing to run with info that they desperately want to believe, maybe these blogs and blowhards would have less to do. I have much respect for K in taking steps to limit media access. Though he's faced some backlash for it, it has been the smart move.

That_Dude
03-26-2010, 12:05 AM
As it stands right now, Austin is able to keep coaches at bay a little because he is "verbally committed" to Florida. Notice that he was only entertaining one other program while his school and season were going on. Now that that's over and he's coming up on school being out and his AAU Summer starting, he's going to gradually have more schools come to look at him. Then, you'll get your decommitment. As of now, he holds all the cards.

Okay, but according to this 'insider', Florida isn't even in the picture. If Florida's not in the picture, why is Austin still committed to Florida as of now, and why did he put out a statement just last night saying it was FL & Duke? Im not saying that he'll end up @ Florida or Duke, just that I think this character's blog is a hack...

sivartrenrag
03-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Phooey..

Still tho... someone needs to go tell Roy what his agenda should be. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRykTpw1RQ) I get tired of him poking around.

**** Link to Bill Hicks comedy routine. Bad Language and adult themes.

Sorry to waste a post, but just wanted to say I love the Bill Hicks reference.

Bill Hicks is incredible, etc.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-26-2010, 01:47 AM
word over on IC is that huck is down there visiting Austin right now and is "expected" to steal him away......

From what I read, I don't think they are expecting anything right now except a race between Duke and UNC. Im still not concerned, Coach Roy is a tool.

DevilHorns
03-26-2010, 01:49 AM
From what I read, I don't think they are expecting anything right now except a race between Duke and UNC. Im still not concerned, Coach Roy is a tool.

You should be concerned. Roy is an incredibly good recruiter.

(unless you mean you're not concerned because Duke is casting a very wide net on talent these days, and so we'll be fine regardless...)

ChicagoCrazy84
03-26-2010, 02:00 AM
You should be concerned. Roy is an incredibly good recruiter.

(unless you mean you're not concerned because Duke is casting a very wide net on talent these days, and so we'll be fine regardless...)

That is part of it, sure. Also I just feel like Austin respects Duke and has been leaning towards us for a bit now and what can Roy really say or do to get him to change his mind this late in the game? Some people may sa "what about Harrison Barnes?" And I'll say that was an isolated and unique case based on his mindset.

BlueDvl817
03-26-2010, 02:03 AM
I just read that article by Wiederer a little while ago. As a non-journalist I still share a lot of the frustrations voiced in the article with what is out there on the internet and the lack of filtering and accountability that takes place. I understand it is a business, making money and making a living is the American way. But it seems that journalism was something was taken very seriously until the past 10 years or so. Facts are now just an option but not a selling point. I'm an avid sports fan who follows college basketball and football, NBA and NFL. But I watch far less sportscenter than I used to. Just give me the box scores and the recaps, I need little else. My interest has feigned for the sports reporters though I do still get a fill of PTI. I have almost zero use for sports radio talk unless a good interview is taking place. David Glenn is the only guy that interests me locally. Most of it just seems to ruin sports for me. Just give me the games. I do want to keep up with recruiting but have to do a lot of filtering on my own with that.

If consumers were less willing to run with info that they desperately want to believe, maybe these blogs and blowhards would have less to do. I have much respect for K in taking steps to limit media access. Though he's faced some backlash for it, it has been the smart move.

As a student of journalism I could not agree more. I decided to become a journalist because I wanted to communicate with people through writing. After four years, I have to say I wish I had chosen English, political science, creative writing - honestly, anything but journalism. Professors have emphasized marketing a product over providing the audience with accurate information. I know that journalism is a business, and as such, media outlets have to maintain a certain level of profitability to remain viable. But in this era of the 24-hour news cycle and media conglomoration, fact-checking and accountability have become secondary to selling the product and giving the people what they want (i.e. running with rumors and not facts). Journalism is quickly becoming a lost art.

DevilHorns
03-26-2010, 02:09 AM
"I've been following Duke really closely in the [ NCAA] tournament and I love the way they set screens and give so much freedom to [Kyle] Singler and [Jon] Scheyer," Rivers said. "I've always loved the way Florida plays. I've been watching Kentucky and the way [coach John] Calipari let his guys go, which is great. Texas really lets their guards play.

http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/os-vtw-all-cf-boys-0325-20100324,0,5456320.story

It helps that Carolina isn't in the tourney.

At this point, with all the crap there is on the web, im only listening to direct quotes.

tommy
03-26-2010, 02:15 AM
That is part of it, sure. Also I just feel like Austin respects Duke and has been leaning towards us for a bit now and what can Roy really say or do to get him to change his mind this late in the game? Some people may sa "what about Harrison Barnes?" And I'll say that was an isolated and unique case based on his mindset.

What information do you have about what Barnes's mindset was that makes him so different than what Rivers and his mindset may be right now? What was so unique about Barnes? We had been recruiting him hard for a long time. Most people with knowledge thought we had the inside track. Roy got in late, made up a lot of ground in a short period of time, and got him away. I'm not saying the same will happen with Rivers, but why would it be all that surprising if it did, unless Rivers has really, really essentially decided he's coming to Duke (or, for that matter, staying at Florida) and it's just a matter of time until an announcement is made, and these new "visits" or "views" are just courtesy calls or window dressing?

Kedsy
03-26-2010, 02:21 AM
What information do you have about what Barnes's mindset was that makes him so different than what Rivers and his mindset may be right now? What was so unique about Barnes? We had been recruiting him hard for a long time. Most people with knowledge thought we had the inside track. Roy got in late, made up a lot of ground in a short period of time, and got him away. I'm not saying the same will happen with Rivers, but why would it be all that surprising if it did, unless Rivers has really, really essentially decided he's coming to Duke (or, for that matter, staying at Florida) and it's just a matter of time until an announcement is made, and these new "visits" or "views" are just courtesy calls or window dressing?

I don't know anything about his mindset, but there's a big difference between now and last October, and that difference is UNC's 2009-10 season. Roy's a good recruiter, no question, but the idea that he gets whoever he wants is a fallacy. He got Barnes, but that fact has little to no bearing on any future recruits' decisions.

tommy
03-26-2010, 02:27 AM
I don't know anything about his mindset, but there's a big difference between now and last October, and that difference is UNC's 2009-10 season. Roy's a good recruiter, no question, but the idea that he gets whoever he wants is a fallacy. He got Barnes, but that fact has little to no bearing on any future recruits' decisions.

I agree with you in that Barnes' decision will have no bearing on future recruits' decisions, except to the extent anyone may want to play with Barnes if he's still around. I do think though that a good recruiter like Roy will take UNC's disaster of a season and turn it (or at least try to) into a positive on the trail by selling the idea that the team struggled so much that there is even more opportunity to not only play right away, but return the program to its previous glory, that kind of thing. You know, and then cue the Jordan tapes.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-26-2010, 02:30 AM
"I've been following Duke really closely in the [ NCAA] tournament and I love the way they set screens and give so much freedom to [Kyle] Singler and [Jon] Scheyer," Rivers said. "I've always loved the way Florida plays. I've been watching Kentucky and the way [coach John] Calipari let his guys go, which is great. Texas really lets their guards play.

http://varsity.orlandosentinel.com/os-vtw-all-cf-boys-0325-20100324,0,5456320.story

It helps that Carolina isn't in the tourney.

At this point, with all the crap there is on the web, im only listening to direct quotes.

Really what the heck does that even mean? "He let's his guys go" and "Texas really lets their guards play." Honestly, Kentucky has John Wall and Eric Bledsoe as their guards for God's sake, not Greg Paulus and Jon Scheyer (just sayin). Of course they have freedom!! They're the most athletic backcourt tandem in the country! What coach in his right ming WOULDNT let them play with freedom? I don't know very much about Texas' guards other than Dogus Balbay is the worst shooter in D1 basketball and Avery Bradley was a MCDAA. I just get annoyed with the whole "freedom" term that gets thrown around by prospects. Style of play is just another way of saying "the players that particular coach goes after." Id say the majority of programs in the (6?) power conferences all have very very similar "styles of play."

JasonEvans
03-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Folks, it's recruiting. If you want absolutes, wait until they sign a letter of intent. Until then, all sites are reporting on what 18 year old kids are thinking and planning.

Kids.

Most of you were 18 once. Think back: it wasn't pretty. Neither is recruiting.

-jk

QFT. -jk hits the nail on the head.

This season, the one where Duke is a #1 seed and strong national title contender while featuring exactly zero future lottery picks an perhaps only 1 or 2 kids who will even be first round NBA draft picks, should tell us all that Duke will be fine regardless of how one or two recruiting battles turn out. K knows how to get the players that make his program go. The roster looks to be wickedly stacked going forward. Rivers would be an awesome addition, but if he chooses to go elsewhere, we wish him well and move on.

All that said, you would have to be insane not to love Duke's position in this particular recruiting battle. Go ahead, Roy. See if you can get in there, but we all know that Doc's son has a favorite at this point and it ain't the light blue.

-Jason "-jk's post should be required reading in all recruiting threads" Evans

JohnGalt
03-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Go ahead, Roy. See if you can get in there, but we all know that Doc's son has a favorite at this point and it ain't the light blue.

-Jason "-jk's post should be required reading in all recruiting threads" Evans

How can you say this after quoting the -jk post from above?

His direct quotes are all over the place and I would argue mostly taken out of context. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as anxious as anyone, only equally as skeptical.

moonpie23
03-26-2010, 08:02 AM
every single player on this year's UNC team truly believed they were going to be playing in the NCAA tourny, have a huge ACC season and continue where hans-inner-ear an "ty lawson left off.

NONE of them in their WORST NIGHTMARES ever EVER thought that it would be like this...

that's something for austin to think about....

DeBlueDevil
03-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Just to back up Kedsy a little. I think he might have been referring to the fact that Barnes is a HUGE MJ fan. Like many people around the country. But it has been said a number of times that his mother is a HUGE Carolina and MJ Fan. She used to make the kid watch MJ highlight tapes!!! That is I think the mindset the Kedsy may have been speaking of. Carolina jumped in late....I believe that his interest in Duke was very genuine but that was before his dream school jumped in...which just happened to be UNC. I was dissappointed as most but whatever he's a kid and he's a great bball play and entitled to change his mind (even if it is for UNC)...so let it go..move on....hopefully we get the best of him on the court

As for Austin....if there is one thing I've learned after following some recruits lately...it is to just wait. I'm not sure what to make of the situation but it is atleast good to know the we seem to be the front runner. He's visited Duke...he's verbally spoken about his relationship with K, he admires the program...and he's said he would consider going to Duke heavily. Atleast we can't say that for the other programs mentioned YET.

To my knowledge thats why he's said he wasn't going to commit and sign with Florida early...just so he can go through this process and make the right decision. We're talking about arguably the best recruit in the 2011 class people!!!! Every major school would be a fool not to atleast try to get him....even Carolina isn't dumb enough not to atleast call him or go see him play...especially after this year they've had! I'd be going to see every great recruit....just let it play out...still very early

6th Man
03-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Ol Roy has been a great recruiter, but I will be interested to see how his recruiting holds up after this season. Having an off season is one thing, but he's made himself look bad with how he has handled his team's failures. He's won 2 titles with incredible talent, but this season has to bring his coaching into question a little. His team this year had better talent than what the record showed. I still maintain this was one of the weakest ACC years ever and he fielded one of the weakest teams with plenty of Mickey D's. If I am a recruit and watched this Tarheel team, I'd have to raise my eyebrow a little. Of course UNC will still get their share because of the UNC tradition, but maybe a little of his recruiting magic will be lost. I couldn't help but wonder if Harry Barnes second guessed himself after watching this season.

yancem
03-26-2010, 09:31 AM

I have no idea what Barnes' or Rivers' mindsets were or are but there are some very real differences in their situations. First off Barnes and his mother obviously had strong feeling about unc or at least Jordan (both of her kids have Jordan in their names). Unfortunately this wasn't public knowledge until relatively late in the game so it wasn't factored into most people's thinking.

Secondly, unc doesn't have a 100 celebration coming up that they can use to create an awe inspiring spectacle for recruits. As much as people tried to down play Barnes' visit, I really think that that was when he made his decision.

Third, unc isn't coming off a banner year capped by a national championship and several high draft picks. They have a disappointing year with a lot of inter team bickering and Ol'Roy throwing several players under the bus. Certainly not a feel good story. Contrast that with Duke have a solid to great year (we will have to see how the tourney turns out before that distinction is made) winning the acc regular season and tournament as well as earning a #1 seed and things could get even better this weekend (knock on wood).

Lastly, Doc has a very strong relation ship with K and several Duke players. Those ties should be similar in effect as mama Barnes' feelings toward Jordan and unc.

I have no idea how this recruitment will end and I'm not saying that unc doesn't have a chance (Ol'Roy should never be underestimated) but I do believe that the circumstance surrounding Rivers are quite different than Barnes and that the two are pretty much mutually exclusive.

_Gary
03-26-2010, 09:37 AM
If there's any difference between Barnes and Rivers (and there's always plenty of differences between kids and the recruiting of said kids) it has to be this: Austin Rivers father is an NBA coach! I've got to believe that helps us, even if ever so slightly, because of the connection with USA Basketball and such. Now, we've seen before what can happen when we automatically assume Duke can get whoever they want simply because of Coach K is the coach of the USA team. But in this case I think it has to help, even if only just a little. Doc wants the best for his son, and he's surely been more knowledgeable of Coach K and his philosophy than Barnes' mother was. Plus, there's a chance one of Doc's players will be playing for USA Basketball this summer, which again I think can only help.

I feel good about Rivers and Duke, but as many upthread have stated, we have to let it play out.

Just my two cents.

Gary

Cockabeau
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
IMO,Rivers will be a Blue Devil