PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

Kedsy
09-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Well Dawkins would be the only one at the 2 spot cause Curry is a pg and so is Thornton. And Dawkins is almost big enough to play the 3 in most games granted that would be a small lineup.

I know he aspires to be a PG, because that's where he'll have to play in the NBA, but I think right now Seth is more of a "2," or at best a combo guard. If he and Austin are the starting guards, it's hard to say who would be the primary ballhandler. Obviously if KI comes back, both Seth and Austin would play mostly wing.

jipops
09-26-2010, 08:37 PM
If AR commits to anywhere other than Duke, you will look back at stuff like this tweet and talk about how selfish and immature he was for doing it. The response will be very similar to the response HB received after he committed to UNC. Not saying that AR will not commit to Duke, I believe he will, but this is a kid being a kid and I doubt his father has anything to do with it. It isn't that well thought out.

Actually the disdain would come if he chose somewhere else and were to say something like "the decision wasn't even close" as a certain top recruit said late last year. It would be hard not to take something like that as a sneer or a stab. Of course, Duke fans would be hurt if AR chooses elsewhere and some would inevitably and wrongfully call him selfish, as any other fan base in the same position would. The kid is taking his time. I would imagine he got some advice to do so and he is running with that.

Now if Austin commits to Duke and says something like "it wasn't even close" would that be a different circumstance? I think so given that Duke has been widely considered the leader for quite a while. I certainly hope a Duke commit is what transpires.

kong123
09-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Actually the disdain would come if he chose somewhere else and were to say something like "the decision wasn't even close" as a certain top recruit said late last year. It would be hard not to take something like that as a sneer or a stab. Of course, Duke fans would be hurt if AR chooses elsewhere and some would inevitably and wrongfully call him selfish, as any other fan base in the same position would. The kid is taking his time. I would imagine he got some advice to do so and he is running with that.

Now if Austin commits to Duke and says something like "it wasn't even close" would that be a different circumstance? I think so given that Duke has been widely considered the leader for quite a while. I certainly hope a Duke commit is what transpires.

i can see how those comments would hurt a fan base, especially when the recruit chooses your biggest rival, I get that. But, I think we have to remember that he is just a kid who perhaps hasn't learned how to be PC. If you look back at his recruitment and look back at how his decision was televised, it really was a complete nightmare. no kid should have that much attention and that much power over so many people. especially guys like us that hang on every bit of recruiting info we can get our hands on. A kid his age probably thought that his announcement should be a complete surprise, to everyone other than his immediate family. Roy didn't even know. There have been many announcements like this in the last few years, football and basketball. That kid who announced he was going to Washington and then spent the next hour on the phone with paypal Cal. now he is enrolled at Kentucky. Point is, while he didn't handle the announcement the way some of us would have wished, I don't think he was trying to be malicious in his intent. He was trying to do something that hadn't been done before. He succeeded, but unfortunately he offended a few people in the process. Probably his first dose of not being able to make everyone happy. He will live and learn.

Devilsfan
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I bet he doesn't go around wearing a pompous tee shirt at next years summer league. If he's like his dad he has too much class for that.

jipops
09-26-2010, 10:29 PM
i can see how those comments would hurt a fan base, especially when the recruit chooses your biggest rival, I get that. But, I think we have to remember that he is just a kid who perhaps hasn't learned how to be PC. If you look back at his recruitment and look back at how his decision was televised, it really was a complete nightmare. no kid should have that much attention and that much power over so many people. especially guys like us that hang on every bit of recruiting info we can get our hands on. A kid his age probably thought that his announcement should be a complete surprise, to everyone other than his immediate family. Roy didn't even know. There have been many announcements like this in the last few years, football and basketball. That kid who announced he was going to Washington and then spent the next hour on the phone with paypal Cal. now he is enrolled at Kentucky. Point is, while he didn't handle the announcement the way some of us would have wished, I don't think he was trying to be malicious in his intent. He was trying to do something that hadn't been done before. He succeeded, but unfortunately he offended a few people in the process. Probably his first dose of not being able to make everyone happy. He will live and learn.

I'm not referencing the skype thing and all the accompanied hype. I really don't care about that. Overall there was nothing new or different about any of that when it comes to recruiting these days. There was a certain slap in the face that came soon afterwards.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-27-2010, 01:05 AM
I know he aspires to be a PG, because that's where he'll have to play in the NBA, but I think right now Seth is more of a "2," or at best a combo guard. If he and Austin are the starting guards, it's hard to say who would be the primary ballhandler. Obviously if KI comes back, both Seth and Austin would play mostly wing.

I would have to disagree with that. Seth will be playing pg this yr when KI goes out and dawkins will be coming in for nolan if they both were to come out. and if rivers and curry are together then i think Curry would be the one bringing it up court then give to AR

Jderf
09-27-2010, 01:47 AM
I would have to disagree with that. Seth will be playing pg this yr when KI goes out and dawkins will be coming in for nolan if they both were to come out. and if rivers and curry are together then i think Curry would be the one bringing it up court then give to AR

Hmm, luckily there's already some light reading on the topic:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21550-Duke-Identity-2010-11-Big-or-Small&highlight=line

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?15373-Seth-Curry-discussion/page12&highlight=line

BD80
09-27-2010, 08:38 AM
i can see how those comments would hurt a fan base, especially when the recruit chooses your biggest rival, ... He was trying to do something that hadn't been done before. He succeeded, ...

Never been done before? Man, a carolina edumacation really does suck.

Ever hear of the Ides of March, Brutus v Ceasar? (I can see ol' roy in the background in his toga, exhorting the senators, but later crying to the town crier, this is a worse disaster than Pompeii!).

There are many more recent examples

Cockabeau
09-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Let it ride people. life happens so what? We lose Barnes...so what? we got Kyle back.
Patrick Patterson played us,Greg Monroe played us...so what...LT and Z manned up and we have a nice shiny ring.

It will all work out becuase we are the defending national champions with atleast a nice shot at winning it all again. So I implore you, please enjoy this while it lasts...K is 65 and in all likelihood-this upcoming year will be best shot at winning the big one.

So please, now is really not the time to be fretting about a recruit. Lets enjoy THIS season with our most beloved coach. We are Duke.

CLT Devil
09-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Let it ride people. life happens so what? We lose Barnes...so what? we got Kyle back.
Patrick Patterson played us,Greg Monroe played us...so what...LT and Z manned up and we have a nice shiny ring.

It will all work out becuase we are the defending national champions with atleast a nice shot at winning it all again. So I implore you, please enjoy this while it lasts...K is 65 and in all likelihood-this upcoming year will be best shot at winning the big one.

So please, now is really not the time to be fretting about a recruit. Lets enjoy THIS season with our most beloved coach. We are Duke.

My thoughts exactly. I don't worry too much anymore about getting certain guys. Well, at least I don't want to fret too much and then play the 'what if' game if a prized recruit goes elsewhere. My confidence in K has never wavered, but there seems to be a fresh energy and sense that he will get the best out of whatever he has.

Coming off a Natty Champ, I am just enjoying Duke being on top again and absolutely loved the way we played as a team and won. I'd love to get AR, but if we don't we will be fine. We are Duke.

slower
09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
...K is 65

Every bio I've seen shows his birth date as 1947. That adds up to 63...but your point is well-taken.

I really want K to get at least one more title and put Rupp in the rear-view mirror.

jimsumner
09-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Some good points here. But I wish we would disabuse ourselves of the notion that everyone who picks another school over Duke has somehow "played" Duke. Duke didn't even seriously recruit Patterson until the middle of his senior year. His leaders at that point included defending NCAA champions Florida, home-state powers West Virginia and Kentucky. Patterson visited Duke, said nice things about Duke and ended up selecting a traditional power that had been recruiting him much longer.

How is that "playing" Duke?

The Duke fanbase somehow took a comment by Monroe that Duke had been his favorite team growing up as some sort of guarantee that he would go to Duke. When he goes somewhere else, he's dishonest and manipulative?

I'm sure we wouldn't have to look too hard to find some quotes where Kyrie Irving said nice things about Indiana, Nolan Smith said nice things about Louisville and Kyle Singler said nice things about Kansas. Most recruits like more than one school. Doesn't make them Machiavelli.

CharlestonDevil
09-27-2010, 09:43 AM

I agree to an extent. While we have every reason to have full confidence in K and the sytem he has established, I would like to see Duke land a couple of big time targets for the sake of reputation. We have missed on some big name guys and I feel that with some recruiting "wins" our future dividends could be much higher. For example, say Kyrie, Austin, Quincy Miller, and one or two more high profile guys came through the Duke system and went on to be high caliber/profile guys in the NBA, that would attract guys for years to come.

As we all know the biggest knock on Duke is their rep in the NBA. And as wonderful as this past season was, and this upcoming season will be, putting the Duke name brand on couple of Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers-caliber players could go a long way for future recruiting.

cbnaylor
09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm sure we wouldn't have to look too hard to find some quotes where Kyrie Irving said nice things about Indiana, Nolan Smith said nice things about Louisville and Kyle Singler said nice things about Kansas. Most recruits like more than one school. Doesn't make them Machiavelli.

Well said Jim! We win some we lose some. Personally, I think if we had landed John Wall, we wouldn't have won a National Championship because it would have thrown the chemistry off.

kong123
09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Post redacted for language, civility

First, do you have evidence that HB committed to UNC before his announcement? Second, do you have proof that Roy orchestrated the HB recruitment to try and humiliate K? Finally, once a kid is being recruited by Duke, does that mean he is Duke's property and no other school or coach can recruit him? I received negative feedback because I didn't elaborate more in my post, but did I really need to?

sandinmyshoes
09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Is dukeballboy88 a pardoy poster? I feel like I'm missing a joke somehow. :confused:

kong123
09-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Is dukeballboy88 a pardoy poster? I feel like I'm missing a joke somehow. :confused:

There is a poster on the IC named "heelschamp" and he is widely believed to be a Duke fan trying to get the IC faithful riled up. His posts are 100% for UNC, but way over the top and he puts K down every chance he gets. He is so bad that UNC fans don't like him. Perhaps this is a UNC fan trying to do the same thing?

thenameisbond
09-27-2010, 10:36 AM
I was nervous about Harry right up to the end. I don't feel the same about Austin's recruitment. There are a number of differences.

First, Austin has Doc's guidance and Doc is far more knowledgable about the coaching acumen of K and Roy than Shirley Barnes.

Second, there won't be all the hoopla going on at UNC when Austin visits that there was when Harry made his visit. No big anniversary shindig; no rubbing elbows with Michael Jordan or other NBA alums.

Third, the worm has turned in the rivalry. This time, it is DUKE that is fresh off a championship season and has all the momentum.

Kedsy
09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
As we all know the biggest knock on Duke is their rep in the NBA. And as wonderful as this past season was, and this upcoming season will be, putting the Duke name brand on couple of Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers-caliber players could go a long way for future recruiting.

Well, we also all know this "knock" is an unfounded myth. Do you really think the perpetrators of this myth will give it up just because a couple high profile recruits spend a year or (hopefully) two in Durham?

Didn't Duke recruit Machiavelli? But then he jilted us for some Ivy League school? ;)

sandinmyshoes
09-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I was nervous about Harry right up to the end. I don't feel the same about Austin's recruitment. There are a number of differences.

First, Austin has Doc's guidance and Doc is far more knowledgable about the coaching acumen of K and Roy than Shirley Barnes.

Second, there won't be all the hoopla going on at UNC when Austin visits that there was when Harry made his visit. No big anniversary shindig; no rubbing elbows with Michael Jordan or other NBA alums.

Third, the worm has turned in the rivalry. This time, it is DUKE that is fresh off a championship season and has all the momentum.

The odd thing is, the only scuttlebutt I hear that makes me nervous centers on Doc. Supposedly, while he thinks a lot of Coach K, he also likes Williams and thinks a lot of the UNC program as a "brand." He is also said to be impressed how close so many of the UNC players remain to the program and with each other even in the league.

No indication that he is pressuring Austin, but he did want the young man to take a look at UNC's program.

I get nervous sometimes when we have a big early lead in recruiting. It's as if some of the excitement wears off on the player and the latest program to come along seems fresher and more exciting, like a new girl or a new car. And to some extent that seems to have been Florida's experience with Austin.

Of course, the real reason I'm a little nervous is because I feel so good about this recruitment. I'm funny that way. I guess I simply dread the disappointment if he headed elsewhere.

sandinmyshoes
09-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Well, we also all know this "knock" is an unfounded myth. Do you really think the perpetrators of this myth will give it up just because a couple high profile recruits spend a year or (hopefully) two in Durham?

Didn't Duke recruit Machiavelli? But then he jilted us for some Ivy League school? ;)

Machiavelli went pro straight out of high school and played for a couple of Italian teams.

grossbus
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
"Machiavelli went pro straight out of high school and played for a couple of Italian teams."

after which he was recruited by kentucky, right?

uh_no
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Well, we also all know this "knock" is an unfounded myth.

Just because it's a myth doesn't mean recruits don't hear it....if people say (which they do) duke doesn't make nba stars over and over....you don't think a 17 yo hears that and believes it to some extent? they're not pouring over analyses of data to make an informed decision.....

gumbomoop
09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
"Machiavelli went pro straight out of high school and played for a couple of Italian teams."

after which he was recruited by kentucky, right?

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I gotta defend UK on this one: it was Tayshaun Prince, not Machiavelli the Prince. Common mistake, but for once UK is clean.

For once.

sagegrouse
09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Just because it's a myth doesn't mean recruits don't hear it....if people say (which they do) duke doesn't make nba stars over and over....you don't think a 17 yo hears that and believes it to some extent? they're not pouring over analyses of data to make an informed decision.....

Actually, they almost certainly ARE poring over data about Duke players in the NBA, which K presents to each recruit.

I think the Duke case is good for the NBA -- and the post-NBA (G-man, Bilas, Spanarkel, JWill, soon Grant, and then Shane).

sagegrouse

jipops
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
The odd thing is, the only scuttlebutt I hear that makes me nervous centers on Doc. Supposedly, while he thinks a lot of Coach K, he also likes Williams and thinks a lot of the UNC program as a "brand." He is also said to be impressed how close so many of the UNC players remain to the program and with each other even in the league.

Other than role players Raymond Felton and Marvin Williams, how is that UNC brand holding up for UNC guys that Roy has coached. Ok maybe add Ty Lawson to the list, but didn't he just come out and say he wished he left after 1 year and that the extra years in college did nothing for his game? He may be wrong about that but so much for that "Carolina Family" thing right? The alumni closeness is not exactly unique to UNC either. Yes, UNC has a great "brand" out there. They are one of many great "brand"(s) out there.

Maybe this should turn into a separate thread but I do believe that 100% of the argument that only certain programs or coaches churn out NBA players or even NBA stars is complete hogwash. The greatest power forward to ever live played 4 years at Wake Forest. The greatest defensive small forward and one the NBA's all time 50 went to Central Arkansas. Marquette produced Dwayne Wade. The Houston Cougars produced Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon.

09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
First, do you have evidence that HB committed to UNC before his announcement? Second, do you have proof that Roy orchestrated the HB recruitment to try and humiliate K? Finally, once a kid is being recruited by Duke, does that mean he is Duke's property and no other school or coach can recruit him? I received negative feedback because I didn't elaborate more in my post, but did I really need to?

HB had made up his mind as soon as he recieved an offer its as simple as that and he played everyone else. And people on this forum as informative and knowledgable as they are tend to give negative feedback for no real good reason what so ever. All you have to do is disagree with them or say somthing they dont like and they give negative feedbak which is something i have noticed around here on DBR which is a shame cause other board members dont act like that.

kong123
09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
All of this maybe true, but the myth is still out there. As a UNC fan, I am glad it is. UNC hasn't had a real impact player to leave Chapel Hill for the NBA in a while now (last 5 or 6 years), but neither has Duke. I would say JJ is as close as you have gotten? Maybe I am wrong, but there it is. What we have had is a lot of players go to the league since Roy got to UNC.
2005 Jawaad Williams (didn't recruit)
2005 Marvin Williams
2005 Raymond Felton (didn't recruit)
2005 Sean May (didn't recruit)
2005 Rashad McCants (didn't recruit)
2006 David Noel
2007 Brandan Wright
2007 Reyshawn Terry
2009 Tyler Hansbrough
2009 Ty Lawson
2009 Wayne Ellington
2009 Danny Green
2010 Ed Davis

from Duke during the same period, I see JJ, Sheldon, Randolph, and McRoberts.

If there are more that I missed, sorry. I did a quick search and found Coach K's website which had the list up there. McRoberts name isn't on the site, but I remembered him. Not trying to start an argument, but this is what I found. We have to remember that these kids are 17 or 18 years old and were 11 or 12 when UNC won the NCAA's. Their perspective isn't what ours is. Sure, some of the UNC guys are not in the league anymore, but they did get a shot.

Paul Pierce is also a player from Roy's past and I am sure he has a few nice things to say about Roy to Doc.

dukeimac
09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Every recruit is different.

You can list all the pros of going to Duke yet people like HB went with UNC.

You can list all the negatives of going to Duke yet people like Kyrie signed with Duke.

Different things motivate different people, you just hope the things about Duke will motivate AR to go to Duke, but if they don't he'll go elsewhere. Until he signs on the doted line he can go anywhere he wants.

CharlestonDevil
09-27-2010, 12:05 PM

No indication that he is pressuring Austin, but he did want the young man to take a look at UNC's program.

If this is true it would make me nervous, but I have seen no actual reports of this being so, only heard rumors coming from tar hole nation.

I won't bother to dig up all of the links, but on this thread I have seen documented information supporting:

- UNC contacted AR first, with Roy requesting to recruit him
- while AR was still a FL commit, Doc suggested he visit Duke (which led to AR's 1st unofficial visit and eventually decommitting)
- and recently with the in home visits that UNC made the same sales pitch as UK, and that Duke seemed to make the best impression

I've seen no actual quotes or interviews from AR or Doc to support the "UNC brand" theory, only reports of reports. If I am wrong please correct me.

J.Blink
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
What we have had is a lot of players go to the league since Roy got to UNC.
2005 Marvin Williams
2006 David Noel
2007 Brandan Wright
2007 Reyshawn Terry
2009 Tyler Hansbrough
2009 Ty Lawson
2009 Wayne Ellington
2009 Danny Green
2010 Ed Davis

If there are more that I missed, sorry. I did a quick search and found Coach K's website which had the list up there.

Henderson, Elliot Williams (if he counts?), Zoubek (Nets)

Does Duke still have more active players in the NBA than UNC? 15 for Duke?

kong123
09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I forgot about Henderson and Z, but I am not sure about EW. I don't know if active players is as important as overall players. Especially if we are talking about a "brand".

roywhite
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM

One standard measure is how many players are on active NBA rosters on opening day of the season. That will be October 26, so we've got a month to see how things shake out.

-jk
09-27-2010, 12:51 PM
There is a poster on the IC named "heelschamp" and he is widely believed to be a Duke fan trying to get the IC faithful riled up. His posts are 100% for UNC, but way over the top and he puts K down every chance he gets. He is so bad that UNC fans don't like him. Perhaps this is a UNC fan trying to do the same thing?

Oh! The irony!

-jk

BD80
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Machiavelli went pro straight out of high school and played for a couple of Italian teams.

Was that the guy who advocated breaking ankles well before the advent of the crossover dribble? I think he played for Florence until the Medici "posted him up" and ended his basketball career.

Calipari sounds more like a disciple of Machiavelli than a patron.

Kedsy
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
All of this maybe true, but the myth is still out there. As a UNC fan, I am glad it is. UNC hasn't had a real impact player to leave Chapel Hill for the NBA in a while now (last 5 or 6 years), but neither has Duke. I would say JJ is as close as you have gotten? Maybe I am wrong, but there it is. What we have had is a lot of players go to the league since Roy got to UNC.
2005 Marvin Williams
2006 David Noel
2007 Brandan Wright
2007 Reyshawn Terry
2009 Tyler Hansbrough
2009 Ty Lawson
2009 Wayne Ellington
2009 Danny Green
2010 Ed Davis

If there are more that I missed, sorry. I did a quick search and found Coach K's website which had the list up there. McRoberts name isn't on the site, but I remembered him. Not trying to start an argument, but this is what I found. We have to remember that these kids are 17 or 18 years old and were 11 or 12 when UNC won the NCAA's. Their perspective isn't what ours is. Sure, some of the UNC guys are not in the league anymore, but they did get a shot.

Paul Pierce is also a player from Roy's past and I am sure he has a few nice things to say about Roy to Doc.

Well, in addition to missing Gerald Henderson and Z, you also missed Luol Deng, Daniel Ewing, Chris Duhon, and DeMarcus Nelson, all of whom played at Duke while Roy was at UNC. I think Jon Scheyer is also in an NBA camp, which if I'm not mistaken is as far as Reyshawn Terry ever got (as far as I can tell, Reyshawn has never played in an NBA game). I'd say it's pretty close to a wash during the time period in question.

As far as Pierce being in Doc's ear, there has been plenty of documentation about guys like Elton Brand, Grant Hill, and Shelden Williams talking up K in Doc's other ear.

oldnavy
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM

This argument KILLS me. I could coach AR at Carteret Community College and he would be a first round pick... anyone who believes that a coach or a program "gets" players to the NBA doesn't know much about how the system works. What about all the European players? Are their certain Euro teams that get players to the pros too??

If there is ONE thing we can be certain of in the recruitment of AR, it is that he and Doc know that which school he picks will have little to NOTHING to do with him being drafted into the NBA. He will pick the school where he will feel more comfortable playing for one maybe two years, not which one has the most NBA players.

uh_no
09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
. anyone who believes that a coach or a program "gets" players to the NBA doesn't know much about how the system works.

yes....but we're talking about 17 yo kids where that perception is all that matters.....

G man
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
This argument KILLS me. I could coach AR at Carteret Community College and he would be a first round pick... anyone who believes that a coach or a program "gets" players to the NBA doesn't know much about how the system works. What about all the European players? Are their certain Euro teams that get players to the pros too??

If there is ONE thing we can be certain of in the recruitment of AR, it is that he and Doc know that which school he picks will have little to NOTHING to do with him being drafted into the NBA. He will pick the school where he will feel more comfortable playing for one maybe two years, not which one has the most NBA players.

As I was trying to write an argument to refute this point I realized I was wrong and you are correct. NBA scouts and Exec's draft almost exclusively on potential. Granted other parts come into play, but the most important factor is how high someones ceiling is.

devildeac
09-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Is Duhon still on an NBA roster?

Duvall
09-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Is Duhon still on an NBA roster?

If he isn't, the Orlando Magic wasted $15 million this summer.

devildeac
09-27-2010, 01:54 PM
If he isn't, the Orlando Magic wasted $15 million this summer.

Wouldn't be the 1st time an NBA team wasted a few million. (nba comment, not meant to be an anti-Duhon comment) Hope he has a nice several years there.

oldnavy
09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
yes....but we're talking about 17 yo kids where that perception is all that matters.....

Yes, but in this case the 17 year old has a father that is an NBA coach, so this will not factor in his decision at all. I understand that some of the kids may think this, heck there are some adults that may believe it, and Calipari is building a culture around that myth at UK, but that doesn't make it true.

J.Blink
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM

FWIW, I wasn't making any argument, just making an addendum to kong's post.

I am, however, not sure you're _entirely_ right. Agree that the very top players could play most anywhere and get drafted, but as we've seen with Barnes and now seemingly Rivers (and plenty of others too) these kids seem to be more and more about developing their "brand," and creating a media presence, even in highschool. College no doubt plays into one's brand quite a lot.

I do agree that comfort, and perhaps even more so confidence, play probably the biggest role. Like Bilas said on here the other day:

if [the call rule] were in place when I was in high school, I would not have chosen Duke (which may be THE reason you like the rule!!). I had never heard of Coach K when he first recruited me, and I would not have gotten to know him like I did, and to understand what he was about if he got only one phone call per week. Choosing to play for him was the best non-family decision I ever made, but if he were limited in contact, I would not have been able to distinguish him from the crowd. I think that is an important consideration.

I read this as Coach K being able to share a vision with recruits. Recruits in turn can feel confident about Coach K--that he means what he says, that he's the real deal, that he and the team can accomplish what they want to accomplish, etc.

Poincaré
09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Duke produces NBA players. UNC does, too, as much as it pains me.

Now, I do believe that Duke produces more NBA players than it should, while I believe that for UNC, it's the other way around. I won't get into that, but these are arguments that work on lesser players. If you are a borderline top 30 recruit, I can see Duke making a better pitch than any other school in the country.

If you are a top recruit like Austin Rivers, you know or believe that you will be in the NBA, barring injury. Furthermore, Austin has hung around NBA players all his life and his father is a successful former player and current coach. I doubt that he would be impressed by the list of NBA names that any school would throw at him. In that regard, I believe that neither school can use its list of NBA alumni as an advantage. He is not some easily impressed small town boy like Harrison Barnes. Austin is metropolitan, if you will.

I don't know or have an opinion on who has the advantage in the race for Austin Rivers, but I do not think that whoever can produce the slightly better list of current NBA players is going to matter.

oldnavy
09-27-2010, 03:21 PM
FWIW, I wasn't making any argument, just making an addendum to kong's post.

I am, however, not sure you're _entirely_ right. Agree that the very top players could play most anywhere and get drafted, but as we've seen with Barnes and now seemingly Rivers (and plenty of others too) these kids seem to be more and more about developing their "brand," and creating a media presence, even in highschool. College no doubt plays into one's brand quite a lot.

I do agree that comfort, and perhaps even more so confidence, play probably the biggest role. Like Bilas said on here the other day:

I read this as Coach K being able to share a vision with recruits. Recruits in turn can feel confident about Coach K--that he means what he says, that he's the real deal, that he and the team can accomplish what they want to accomplish, etc.

Sorry, I did not mean to say you were on one side or the other of the argument. It is just that the idea that the school a college kid goes to would matter in their draft pick is farfetched to me. Could a kid that is borderline NBA caliber do better if they chose a school where they would get more game time to improve? Sure, but that has less to do with the school and how many NBA alums it has and more to do with where the kid fits into the program at the time. In fact I could see that it would work the other way more often than not. A kid that is perhaps borderline NBA may want to go to a mid-major or lower caliber BCS type school where they could get plenty of PT. Anyway, I could hardley ever see where a NBA GM would say, well kid A is good and kid B is good, so let's take kid B since he went to school X. If the talent is that close, then the GM will go with the one who he can sign for less not who went to a big name college. Just my opinion... :)FWIW.

dukeballboy88
09-27-2010, 03:23 PM
i just got a text from a unc fan IC premium board member that said, "K didnt close the deal, this is chess not checkers!"

im tellin you, unc fans are 99.9999999% sure they have austin.

kong123
09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
i just got a text from a unc fan IC premium board member that said, "K didnt close the deal, this is chess not checkers!"

some insiders feel very good about our chances, while most think all we have is a slim chance. it all comes down to the OV and AR will be in CH this weekend.

kong123
09-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry, I did not mean to say you were on one side or the other of the argument. It is just that the idea that the school a college kid goes to would matter in their draft pick is farfetched to me. Could a kid that is borderline NBA caliber do better if they chose a school where they would get more game time to improve? Sure, but that has less to do with the school and how many NBA alums it has and more to do with where the kid fits into the program at the time. In fact I could see that it would work the other way more often than not. A kid that is perhaps borderline NBA may want to go to a mid-major or lower caliber BCS type school where they could get plenty of PT. Anyway, I could hardley ever see where a NBA GM would say, well kid A is good and kid B is good, so let's take kid B since he went to school X. If the talent is that close, then the GM will go with the one who he can sign for less not who went to a big name college. Just my opinion... :)FWIW.

i disagree a bit. I believe if a kid comes from a big time school, like UNC or Duke, that they will be seen in a more favorable light than a kid who may have played at Florida State. The GM and Coach can feel better about the kid in many many ways. Good school, good coach, good track record- these all mean a lot when a GM is getting ready fork out a couple of mill for a kid he has only met a few times.

UrinalCake
09-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Ignoring the issue of the reliability of the source, what does this even mean? That K didn't get a committment on the spot? And I totally don't get the "chess not checkers" comment. Is he saying the situation is more complicated than it appears (i.e. a decision has not yet been made)?

jipops
09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
i disagree a bit. I believe if a kid comes from a big time school, like UNC or Duke, that they will be seen in a more favorable light than a kid who may have played at Florida State. The GM and Coach can feel better about the kid in many many ways. Good school, good coach, good track record- these all mean a lot when a GM is getting ready fork out a couple of mill for a kid he has only met a few times.

I think this can only apply to guys that are fringe 1st rounders and even then it may only rarely apply - if at all. If you're a player, you're a player, doesn't matter where you came from. If Kevin Durant played at UNC, Portland still would have blown it and taken Oden. If Carmelo Anthony played at Duke the Pistons still would have screwed up and taken Darko.

-bdbd
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
some insiders feel very good about our chances, while most think all we have is a slim chance. it all comes down to the OV and AR will be in CH this weekend.

Kong - I sincerely like your cajones for so frequently posting on a rival's board (even if I very frequently disagree with your perspective), and like your generally civil tone. But this is pretty comical. This is the same group of clowns that was 100% certain they had Battier and, back in the day, Laettner, and Hurley. I honestly have a hard time remembering a single top-5 level recruit that NC@CH went after in earnest that the IC crowd weren't 99.99% certain they'd get. Yeah, I get there's a lot of "extreme self-confidence" running rampant aroung CH - hell, we're all used to that sentiment eminating out of there (my Wolpack pals call it arrogance) - especially in the wake of a single (but big) recruiting coup. But come'on man - a lttle bit of perspective. When you are "sincerely confident" of winning every single one, well, then you start sounding kinda shrill after a while.

-BD "I'm betting on the 99% of the recruiting pros who still think he's a heavy Duke lean, rather than a few shrill IC 'insiders.' " BD :rolleyes:

jipops
09-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Kong - I sincerely like your cajones for so frequently posting on a rival's board (even if I very frequently disagree with your perspective), and like your generally civil tone. But this is pretty comical. This is the same group of clowns that was 100% certain they had Battier and, back in the day, Laettner, and Hurley. I honestly have a hard time remembering a single top-5 level recruit that NC@CH went after in earnest that the IC crowd weren't 99.99% certain they'd get. Yeah, I get there's a lot of "extreme self-confidence" running rampant aroung CH - hell, we're all used to that sentiment eminating out of there (my Wolpack pals call it arrogance) - especially in the wake of a single (but big) recruiting coup. But come'on man - a lttle bit of perspective. When you are "sincerely confident" of winning every single one, well, then you start souning kinda shrill after a while.

-BD "I'm betting on the 99% of the recruiting pros who still think he's a heavy Duke lean, rather than a few shrill IC 'insiders.' " BD :rolleyes:

I think we learned a lesson about what recruiting pros know almost at this point last year. Well, I think we learned a lesson.

moonpie23
09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
i disagree a bit. I believe if a kid comes from a big time school, like UNC

nothing like looking forward to a hot steaming cup of joe forte !!!

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

kong123
09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Kong - I sincerely like your cajones for so frequently posting on a rival's board (even if I very frequently disagree with your perspective), and like your generally civil tone. But this is pretty comical. This is the same group of clowns that was 100% certain they had Battier and, back in the day, Laettner, and Hurley. I honestly have a hard time remembering a single top-5 level recruit that NC@CH went after in earnest that the IC crowd weren't 99.99% certain they'd get. Yeah, I get there's a lot of "extreme self-confidence" running rampant aroung CH - hell, we're all used to that sentiment eminating out of there (my Wolpack pals call it arrogance) - especially in the wake of a single (but big) recruiting coup. But come'on man - a lttle bit of perspective. When you are "sincerely confident" of winning every single one, well, then you start sounding kinda shrill after a while.

well, like you said, each group of fans always thinks that they are gonna get the big recruit. the group of insiders i speak of are only about 5 guys. the inside guy with the most info still thinks AR is a Duke lean. We are just excited to get him on campus and let him soak it all in. for the record, i still think AR wears a Duke uniform come next fall.

kong123
09-27-2010, 04:11 PM
nothing like looking forward to a hot steaming cup of joe forte !!!

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

there's been disappointments on both sides

oldnavy
09-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Well I have to disagree. If a player can play, the GM's do not care if he is from Mars and went to Neptune U.

kong123
09-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Well I have to disagree. If a player can play, the GM's do not care if he is from Mars and went to Neptune U.

but did the recruit play on any pro teams while on Mars?

UrinalCake
09-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Or in the case of Michael Olowokandi, GM's will draft a guy from Mars even if he cannot play.

Taco
09-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Or in the case of Michael Olowokandi, GM's will draft a guy from Mars even if he cannot play.

I am sick of these persistent rumors that Michael Olowokandi is a Martian. He has provided a valid Earth birth certificate. Please let this controversy die.

MChambers
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM

At least, the Clippers will!

BD80
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I am sick of these persistent rumors that Michael Olowokandi is a Martian. He has provided a valid Earth birth certificate. Please let this controversy die.

You are confusing things with the 1993 draft when the Clippers actually DID draft a seven-footer from Mars (in the 2nd round), who, it turns out, had seven feet.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Don't forget Mars Blackmon:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://api.ning.com/files/*si9Su59kZQkRSR1CB7tQFgzbWkIsbmrK2jCQviwrcMQjDmI7* r5lGbpWTu5quD2yEU-t*wRkxUoWZKKohpWxNlNDQxlWpGN/mars_blackmon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://hoopmixtape.ning.com/profile/ardaagcal&h=382&w=437&sz=19&tbnid=Rv_sWByKIkaVaM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmars%2Bblackmon%2Bimage&zoom=1&q=mars+blackmon+image&usg=__sweA41Njtk-aOF2-tvhlY4HQe70=&sa=X&ei=eA6hTIv9EYH_8AbwxIDWDw&ved=0CB8Q9QEwAw

-bdbd
09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
well, like you said, each group of fans always thinks that they are gonna get the big recruit. the group of insiders i speak of are only about 5 guys. the inside guy with the most info still thinks AR is a Duke lean. We are just excited to get him on campus and let him soak it all in. for the record, i still think AR wears a Duke uniform come next fall.

Fair enough! And for the record, the humorous feelings towards fans "with rose-colored (or light-blue) glasses" absolutely applies to all fan bases. Including a few around here.... :rolleyes: Though I will contend that some fanbases seem to have a greater abundance of irrational exuberence than others!

:D

kong123
09-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Fair enough! And for the record, the humorous feelings towards fans "with rose-colored (or light-blue) glasses" absolutely applies to all fan bases. Including a few around here.... :rolleyes: Though I will contend that some fanbases seem to have a greater abundance of irrational exuberence than others!

:D

thats because there is more of us! the percentages are probably the same :cool:

DevilHorns
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
I wonder if Austin plays Xbox? Hmm...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs396.snc3/24103_406630851718_725521718_4971857_843523_n.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID2159/images/JScheyer360-vi.png

MarkD83
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs396.snc3/24103_406630851718_725521718_4971857_843523_n.jpg

I think the 360 stands for the fact that UNC will make a 360 turn around from last year :)

Bluedevil114
09-27-2010, 10:43 PM
I think the 360 stands for the fact that UNC will make a 360 turn around from last year :)

Does that mean I should put my money on Dayton?

WiJoe
09-27-2010, 11:26 PM

This might be the funniest thing ever posted here.

moonpie23
09-28-2010, 08:32 AM

this picture of roy is perfect for his team's efforts last year....

i bust up laughing every time i see this...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

OldPhiKap
09-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Doesn't a 360 degree turn leave you pointing in the same direction that you started?

I know, I was a poly sci/history major but I think I heard this in a class somewhere along the way. . . .

;>)

mkline09
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
this picture of roy is perfect for his team's efforts last year....

i bust up laughing every time i see this...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

EA Should update their slogan to

"If it is in the dagum game, it's in the game."

BD80
09-28-2010, 09:11 AM

The beauty of it is, they won't have to change the cover next year!

devildeac
09-28-2010, 09:44 AM

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID2159/images/JScheyer360-vi.png

Maybe we could have some posters of that for CIS this season, starting with CTC...

Lord Ash
09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Doesn't a 360 degree turn leave you pointing in the same direction that you started?

I know, I was a poly sci/history major but I think I heard this in a class somewhere along the way. . . .

;>)

I think that may be the joke.

Oh, and the Scheyer cover is great. Wish we could have the real thing:(

OldPhiKap
09-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Ah, I don't register humor until the third cup of coffee . . . .

MarkD83
09-29-2010, 06:48 AM

Yes that was the joke.

kong123
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't think many UNC fans are positive we will land AR. If a UNC fan sounds 100% positive, he is just trying to mess with you or he is delusional.

SilkyJ
09-29-2010, 03:46 PM
^What if he's 91% sure?

DukeBlueNV
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
If all it takes for UNC to take the lead for Rivers is for Roy to pop in and say, "Hey Austin" then, wow... I've really undertimated the lure of Chapel Hill... :rolleyes:

MChambers
09-29-2010, 04:14 PM
If a UNC fan sounds 100% positive, he is just trying to mess with you or he is delusional.

Kong, most of us assume that UNC fans are delusional, all the time.

kong123
09-29-2010, 04:20 PM

and because you assume that, you are delusional!

09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
and because you assume that, you are delusional!

Havnt met a UNC fan in person that isnt delusional so they are 100% delusional to me as of now

ScreechTDX1847
09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Havnt met a UNC fan in person that isnt delusional so they are 100% delusional to me as of now

I was in line for lunch the other day and some UNC fan was having a casual conversation with a friend. He matter-of-factly stated that TJ Yates may not be a starter in the NFL the way he is playing...

What?!?!

I had to resist saying something.

09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I was in line for lunch the other day and some UNC fan was having a casual conversation with a friend. He matter-of-factly stated that TJ Yates may not be a starter in the NFL the way he is playing...

What?!?!

I had to resist saying something.

OMG!!! You didnt say anything??? I would have bust out laughing.

Faison1
09-29-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't think many UNC fans are positive we will land AR. If a UNC fan sounds 100% positive, he is just trying to mess with you or he is delusional.

Be careful of this one.....he is good with the Jedi Mind Tricks.....

superdave
09-30-2010, 09:24 AM
So what is Austin's schedule for October? He is at UNC this weekend for an official? Then Kansas and Duke? Or did he already do the official at Kansas?

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Well not all unc fans are delusional but they are few and far between. I have a couple friends who are unc fans but really enjoy college basketball and are smart enough to fairly evaluate their team. I also have friends that have made every excuse in the book to why we won the championship this year and they were runners up in the NIT.

So what is Austin's schedule for October? He is at UNC this weekend for an official? Then Kansas and Duke? Or did he already do the official at Kansas?
unc October 1st, then CTC on the 15th, and Kansas on the 22nd.

jimrowe0
09-30-2010, 09:43 AM

At UNC this weekend

Duke for CTC the weekend of the 15th

Kansas the weekend of the 22nd

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 09:46 AM

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/09/29/what-its-like-to-be-a-duke-fan-nsfw/

Some bad language so be careful!

superdave
09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
unc October 1st, then CTC on the 15th, and Kansas on the 22nd.

Will Marvin Austin be greeting Austin Rivers in CH this weekend!? UNC football is going to leave a stinky cloud over the whole town this weekend!

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Will Marvin Austin be greeting Austin Rivers in CH this weekend!? UNC football is going to leave a stinky cloud over the whole town this weekend!

Well with the black cloud hanging over unc right now I couldn't think of a better weekend for AR to visit.;)

UrinalCake
09-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Yeah, maybe he'll be greeted at the airport by this

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/gun1.jpg

enick66
09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
On Twitter - @JonRothstein Sources indicate that prized recruit Austin Rivers has committed to play for Duke.....

enick66
09-30-2010, 11:22 AM
On Twitter - @JonRothstein Sources indicate that prized recruit Austin Rivers has committed to play for Duke.....

Any confirmation by insiders on the board? Very surprised this news being broken by an MSG reporter.

JasonEvans
09-30-2010, 11:22 AM

Jon Rothstein is College Basketball Insider for the MSG Network. Not sure why someone in New York would have good sources on this, though he might be connected to Doc Rivers in some way. So far he is the only one reporting this.

--Jason "it is possible that Austin was considering Carolina but the stench of the football scandal made him decide to just get it over with and pick Duke" Evans

Duvall
09-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Very surprised this news being broken by an MSG reporter.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0614/ny_a_rivers_ac_300.jpg

I'm just saying.

JasonEvans
09-30-2010, 11:26 AM
ESPN now has it (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5632647). All done!! Austin to Duke!!!!!

-Jason

tallguy
espn's reporting the same thing, don't know if it's the same source

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15918/source-austin-rivers-commits-to-duke

enick66
Now I'm starting to geel good about the validity of this!

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15918/source-austin-rivers-commits-to-duke

D.C. Devil
09-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought he announced that he would announce on ESPN . . . would sure love to get confirmation from the horse's mouth.

Now I'm starting to geel good about the validity of this!

jipops
09-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Darnit!!! I was waiting for my skype!

D.C. Devil
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Orlando Sentinel has quotes from his Winter Park coach. Seems pretty solid: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball/os-hs-austin-rivers-commits-to-duke-20100930,0,5276913.story

I thought he announced that he would announce on ESPN . . . would sure love to get confirmation from the horse's mouth.

Duvall
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Darnit!!! I was waiting for my skype!

As was Roy.

Starter
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
The real question here is how optimistic the insiders on the Inside Carolina board feel about it.

Welcome to Duke, Austin! Foregone conclusion yes, but still a terrific day. I find it interesting that he decided to forego all the ESPNU fanfare that usually goes down.