PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

JasonEvans
09-21-2010, 12:50 PM
On a side note, the only thing I can think of that Roy could offer Austin that would possibly peak his interest would be to promise Austin the starting PG spot for his freshman year; and that would be crazy on Roy's part to do something like that when you have Marshall and Drew II around.

Does Austin even want to be a PG? I thought most folks see him as a scoring 2Guard more than a PG.

I doubt the #1 player in the class of 2011 is all that worried about playing time or starting. There is little one school could offer in that regard that would make it stand out from other schools, IMO. Austin's decision will come down to the coach he likes and respects the most along with the program in which he feels the most comfortable.

-Jason "chill folks-- let this play out and I feel confident it will end the way we want" Evans

dukeballboy88
09-21-2010, 01:01 PM
After looking at possible rosters for AR's freshman year UNC will have alot of comp for playing time. Do you think Roy maybe after Rivers just so K dont get him?

I mean I know roy would use AR who wouldnt,, but lets say AR didnt have Duke on the list, I wonder if Roy would even be after him?

superdave
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
In the event of a 2011 NBA lockout, or with the more likely scenario in April/May 2011 that a lockout is looming but not certain, I could see Coach K getting involved with the NCAA to request players be allowed to return to college for the 2011-12 season even if they remained in the 2011 Draft so long as they dont hire agents or take money. The NCAA should plan ahead for the uncertainity that is likely to exist next spring because a lot of young kids could be in limbo if they dont - drafted, no longer college-eligible, and with no NBA to play in and with no paycheck.

All of this is relevant to Austin Rivers because he and Kyrie Irving just might be in the same backcourt together under such a scenario.

dukeballboy88
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
irving and austin then dawkins and curry backing them up, the back up back court would be the best in the ACC!

BD80
09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
... -Jason "chill folks-- let this play out and I feel confident it will end the way we want" Evans

You mean Austin sticking around for two years and winning the fourth consecutive NC? YEAH!

superdave
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
irving and austin then dawkins and curry backing them up, the back up back court would be the best in the ACC!

This all assumes the NCAA cares about the future of young kids. A big assumption in my opinion.

But Coach K would certainly have Kyrie's best interests in mind were he to advocate for flexibility from the NCAA. Perhaps NBA teams could retain rights to players they drafted while allowing those players to return to college. Who knows.

Dawkins and Gbinije would likely split time at the 3 with an Irving, Rivers, Curry rotation at the 1 and 2. Wow.

SilkyJ
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I believe Austin's decision, however, will ultimately come down to the softer variables such as chemistry with the coaches and the current underclassmen in the programs, and Austin's belief about his role on the teams that both coaches are selling.

I doubt the #1 player in the class of 2011 is all that worried about playing time or starting. There is little one school could offer in that regard that would make it stand out from other schools, IMO. Austin's decision will come down to the coach he likes and respects the most along with the program in which he feels the most comfortable.

You mean, you guys don't think Austin is reviewing a statistical breakdown of how each and every coaches' players have performed in the NBA? :)

Seriously, I agree wholeheartedly with you guys: I think it will come down to relationship and feel. Austin is going to be a pro, a good pro, and a high draft pick wherever he goes to college. He just needs to decide which shade of blue is more flattering on him :)

NSDukeFan
09-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I expect the in-home visit with Austin and coach K will go very well. I also expect Austin will have a great time during his official visit. You heard it here ninth.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I expect the in-home visit with Austin and coach K will go very well. I also expect Austin will have a great time during his official visit. You heard it here ninth.

It should and i dont see why it wouldnt Coach knows all the right things to say and do and parents also generally seem to like him as well. Tonight probably will have the biggest impact on where Austin goes.

Class of '94
09-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Does Austin even want to be a PG? I thought most folks see him as a scoring 2Guard more than a PG.

-Jason "chill folks-- let this play out and I feel confident it will end the way we want" Evans

In college, I believe he's seen as a combo guard that's capable of playing the 1 or the 2; and in the NBA, I believe he would be projected as a scoring PG in the John Wall mold based on his height and size. I also believe it was discussed earlier in this thread that he likes the idea of running a team and having the ball in his hands. Saying that, I could easily see him sharing the PG responsibilities with his backcourt mate at Duke, which would give him experience running a team in college in preparation for the pros.

uh_no
09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Tonight probably will have the biggest impact on where Austin goes.

you mean it isn't upstaged by rajon rondo's status with the USA national team? or whether said team won the world championship?

hogwash

JasonEvans
09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
He just needs to decide which shade of blue is more flattering on him :)

Just so everyone is clear, there are three shades in play here...

http://s6.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/F88ACB64.jpghttp://s4.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Nike-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels_0C1952D2.jpghttp://s9.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Nike-Elite-Kansas-Jayhawks-5_B94A452D.jpg

-Jason

DukieBoy
09-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Just so everyone is clear, there are three shades in play here...

http://s6.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/F88ACB64.jpghttp://s4.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Nike-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels_0C1952D2.jpghttp://s9.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Nike-Elite-Kansas-Jayhawks-5_B94A452D.jpg

-Jason

I think Kansas and Duke are pretty similar

DukeBlueNV
09-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I read a post on another forum that I thought was interesting. I dont remeber the exact wording but basically the poster was making the case that Coach K seems to connect better with families that have a strong male presence in the home. Most likely with his para-military discipline approach making the father feel like K will mold his son into a man while he is at Duke.

And on the other hand Roy seems to be better at connecting with the single mothers. Maybe it's his down-home southern charm, (*Blech*... Oh, excuse me I just threwup in my mouth a little bit) making them think Roy is so sweet he will take good care of their kids when they are away from home...

Anyways I never really thought about it much before I read that but the more I think about it I tend to agree... what do you guys think?

Bluedevil114
09-21-2010, 02:51 PM

I think that would make Dawkins and Curry the second best back court in the ACC behind Duke's Irving and Curry.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
I read a post on another forum that I thought was interesting. I dont remeber the exact wording but basically the poster was making the case that Coach K seems to connect better with families that have a strong male presence in the home. Most likely with his para-military discipline approach making the father feel like K will mold his son into a man while he is at Duke.

And on the other hand Roy seems to be better at connecting with the single mothers. Maybe it's his down-home southern charm, (*Blech*... Oh, excuse me I just threwup in my mouth a little bit) making them think Roy is so sweet he will take good care of their kids when they are away from home...

Anyways I never really thought about it much before I read that but the more I think about it I tend to agree... what do you guys think?

Mrs. Duhon might disagree. Actually, I always hear the mothers say how they feel comfortable trusting their sons to K and his program.

MChambers
09-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Mrs. Duhon might disagree. Actually, I always hear the mothers say how they feel comfortable trusting their sons to K and his program.

Chris Carrawell's mother also might disagree.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2010, 03:34 PM

Exactly.

All thee coaches know the drill and are good at this part of the process. They would not be the recruiters they are without having the ability to do this. And, Austin's dad knows a bit about basketball. So, ultimately, it will probably come down to which situation (school, teammates, style of play, etc) suits his goals. I hope the answer points to Duke but in the end it's up to him.

Lord Ash
09-21-2010, 04:51 PM
I think Kansas and Duke are pretty similar

Except Duke blue is beautiful, and Kansas blue is ugly, you mean?

:D

Okay, back to meaningful posting!

DukeBlueNV
09-21-2010, 05:06 PM

These could be the exceptions... not the rule.... not saying K cant relate to single mom's just that overall he seems to connect well with strong father figure types. This might explain why K gets a lot of coach's sons at Duke.

anyways...

Austin sets Kansas visit...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/21/rivers-sets-kansas-visit/

El_Diablo
09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Except Duke blue is beautiful, and Kansas blue is ugly, you mean?

Well, there's always this monstrosity to consider:

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_184000/FF_184393_l.jpg

And this:

http://rushthecourt.net/mag/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/unc-silver-unis-21.jpg

Class of '94
09-21-2010, 05:51 PM
These could be the exceptions... not the rule.... not saying K cant relate to single mom's just that overall he seems to connect well with strong father figure types. This might explain why K gets a lot of coach's sons at Duke.

anyways...

Austin sets Kansas visit...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/21/rivers-sets-kansas-visit/

Any betters are there that think Austin actually goes to Kansas for his Official Visit if everything goes well with the Duke in-home visit tonight and the Official vist on the Oct. 15th? The article from the link of a recent post said that Rivers might not go to all of his Officials if he feels good about a school.

09-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Omg i wanna know how it turned out sooooo bad. I wish Austin would at least put somthing up on twitter

DukeBlueNV
09-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Watzone just tweeted "all went well"....

...whatever that means.... Hopefully we'll get some more info in a few hours

09-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Hey not exactly sure what the rules are for people are members of paysites but i recently joined twoDuke ones and ESPN. Ive read some preety good stuff and dont wanna get in trouble for hinting at to much. Ill try saying one thing and that is Austin himself said in an interview that Duke is his leader. I dont wanna post anymore though until i can find the rules regarding this

-jk
09-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Hey not exactly sure what the rules are for people are members of paysites but i recently joined twoDuke ones and ESPN. Ive read some preety good stuff and dont wanna get in trouble for hinting at to much. Ill try saying one thing and that is Austin himself said in an interview that Duke is his leader. I dont wanna post anymore though until i can find the rules regarding this

It's fairly simple: We don't condone reposting information from pay sites. Read the terms you agreed to when you joined the pay sites if you're still uncertain.

-jk

09-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Watzone just tweeted "all went well"....

...whatever that means.... Hopefully we'll get some more info in a few hours

I cannot find him.

09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
It's fairly simple: We don't condone reposting information from pay sites. Read the terms you agreed to when you joined the pay sites if you're still uncertain.

-jk

Ok sorry but I just didnt remember everything on there. But thanks for the quick and simple explanation.

Class of '94
09-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Watzone (or anyone else with credible information),

Without leaking taking away from the information provided on BDN's premium site, did the Duke staff at least leave as favorable an impression as the other coaching staffs did with Austin and his family?
I know it is just semantics but I was hoping for "All went very (or extremely) well". :)

09-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Watzone (or anyone else with credible information),

Without leaking taking away from the information provided on BDN's premium site, did the Duke staff at least leave as favorable an impression as the other coaching staffs did with Austin and his family?
I know it is just semantics but I was hoping for "All went very (or extremely) well". :)

lets put it this way in an interview later that evening austin was asked about the impression the coaches left... well it was 11 sentences long 6 were for coach k, 2 for bill self, 2 for roy, and the last sentence saying that roy and self were the same kinda guy.

Hope this makes you as happy as it did me. You shoulda heard the things he says though (makes it better)

rotogod00
09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
In this premium article on Rivals, Rivers apparently tells Meyer that one school in his trio (Duke, UNC, Kansas) has "a way bigger head start."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1129316&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Gthoma2a
09-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Which one has the best info in people's opinion? I may subscribe, but I would like to hear a few reviews.

On topic, great news on Austin, hopefully he commits at CTC. That is a broadcasted event and that would be an arena that would be set off! If Quinn is coming, that could be incentive to do the same to send the roof off.

BD80
09-22-2010, 09:24 AM
lets put it this way in an interview later that evening austin was asked about the impression the coaches left... well it was 11 sentences long 6 were for coach k, 2 for bill self, 2 for roy, and the last sentence saying that roy and self were the same kinda guy.

Hope this makes you as happy as it did me. You shoulda heard the things he says though (makes it better)

GREAT TEASER!

It conveys some information for those of us starving for it, yet it does not diminish the demand for the premium info - I would suggest it enhances the value!

How come we haven't heard anything from Kong or reports of confidence from the IC premium board?

PADukeMom
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM

Funny I always thought the same thing. I could have sworn that I read that K bases whether the player would fit in with his coaching style & team partly based on their closeness with their Mom. Then again though I am biased because I am a Mom:rolleyes:

PADukeMom
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM

Nothing will make me happy until I actually see Austin Rivers in a DUKE jersey.

09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Nothing will make me happy until I actually see Austin Rivers in a DUKE jersey.

True. I guess I just meant more excited than before.

_Gary
09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm still for not counting the chickens before they hatch. I don't believe I'll ever move off that philosophy after last year. This just feels so much like a repeat of last year it's not even funny. But maybe that's just me. And remember, almost no one was talking about connections to Jordan and momma loving MJ and all that stuff while the waiting game was going on. To the contrary, until the last second before he committed, everyone was still saying it was Duke, Duke, Duke. Then... BAM!!! So I'm just not going to get excited until he actually announces. For him to say one school has a huge lead means nothing to me at this point.

Don't mean to be a doom and gloomer. Just saying we should wait it out and hear an official announcement before popping the corks.

Gary

mkline09
09-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm still for not counting the chickens before they hatch. I don't believe I'll ever move off that philosophy after last year. This just feels so much like a repeat of last year it's not even funny. But maybe that's just me. And remember, almost no one was talking about connections to Jordan and momma loving MJ and all that stuff while the waiting game was going on. To the contrary, until the last second before he committed, everyone was still saying it was Duke, Duke, Duke. Then... BAM!!! So I'm just not going to get excited until he actually announces. For him to say one school has a huge lead means nothing to me at this point.

Don't mean to be a doom and gloomer. Just saying we should wait it out and hear an official announcement before popping the corks.

Gary

I think that sound like the best and most rational approach.

rotogod00
09-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Gary

Sure, but isn't it better to be the team in the lead than the teams trailing

_Gary
09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Only as long as you actually win the prize, so to speak. If you loose then it's worse in my opinion. If you're the underdog all the way through and loose it's no big deal. You weren't expected to win. But when you are the favorite and then loose right at the end... Ugh...

Just my two cents.

Faison1
09-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Coach K came from behind with Kyrie Irving.

dukeballboy88
09-22-2010, 10:21 AM
i just dont see why its a contest. k coming off the year he had and roy coming off the year he had with the nit bid and all and throwing all of his players under the bus like he did, i dont see how Doc being a basketball mind would even give unc a thought.

dcdevil2009
09-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Only as long as you actually win the price, so to speak. If you loose then it's worse in my opinion. If you're the underdog all the way through and loose it's no big deal. You weren't expected to win. But when you are the favorite and then loose right at the end... Ugh...

Just my two cents.

Just like Duke basketball almost every year except for this past season. Last year's team was one of my favorites to watch because there wasn't nearly as much pressure/expectation for the team to make the final four. They could just go out and play their game and look what happened.

rotogod00
09-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Sure, but I still think you'd rather be the front-runner, especially if it's not a perceived front-runner. That quote was directly from Rivers.

_Gary
09-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Maybe early on, but not the last month or so. Heck, I knew Kyrie was coming to Duke a good month or so before he announced just watching him on one of his web-cast thingees. At least it was obvious to me.

wtm001
09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
On topic, great news on Austin, hopefully he commits at CTC. That is a broadcasted event and that would be an arena that would be set off! If Quinn is coming, that could be incentive to do the same to send the roof off.

The article on the main page said Austin would be visiting Kansas on Oct. 22nd and that he would make his decision sometime after that. Maybe he will surprise us though :p

JasonEvans
09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
i just dont see why its a contest. k coming off the year he had and roy coming off the year he had with the nit bid and all and throwing all of his players under the bus like he did, i dont see how Doc being a basketball mind would even give unc a thought.

Right, because how the team did last year is the biggest factor in picking a school.

Sigh.

I hope all rational posters on this board would not be so blind as to ignore the fact that Roy and Self are fabulous recruiters who represent two of the finest basketball programs in the land. Duke, UNC, Kansas-- they are the elite and no kid could be faulted for picking any of them. Presenting this like it is a foregone conclusion is just foolish.

--Jason "that said, I like our position on this one... a lot" Evans

Duke of Nashville
09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Right, because how the team did last year is the biggest factor in picking a school.

Sigh.

I hope all rational posters on this board would not be so blind as to ignore the fact that Roy and Self are fabulous recruiters who represent two of the finest basketball programs in the land. Duke, UNC, Kansas-- they are the elite and no kid could be faulted for picking any of them. Presenting this like it is a foregone conclusion is just foolish.

Absolutely agree, but sometimes the insitution, specifically the athletic department, can not back up what the recruiters may be telling the recruit.

http://www.kansan.com/news/2009/sep/23/police_escort_basketball_and_football_players_insi/?news

From what I can recollect the university cleaned this up. Easily forgotten, but could you imagine something like this ever occuring at Duke?

Class of '94
09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
The article on the main page said Austin would be visiting Kansas on Oct. 22nd and that he would make his decision sometime after that. Maybe he will surprise us though :p

Again, I go back to the fact that Austin supposedly told the Kansas staff that he might not go through with all of his visits and shut his recruitment down by making an early decision if he feels he has found that right school for him early on during the visiting process. He might not make it ot the Kansas visit if he likes his visit to Duke (or, to be objective, his visit to UNC).

IBleedBlue
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I am an engineer and believe in law of averages. Going by our high profile media garnering recruiting losses -
1. Brandon Wright
2. Patrick Patterson
3. Greg Monroe
4. Kenny Boynton
5. Harrison Barnes

I think it`s time one domino fell our way. ;)

uh_no
09-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I am an engineer and believe in law of averages. Going by our high profile media garnering recruiting losses -
1. Brandon Wright
2. Patrick Patterson
3. Greg Monroe
4. Kenny Boynton
5. Harrison Barnes

If you are an engineer, then you must be a terrible one. Good engineers know that the 'law of averages' is complete bs, and that the outcome of one independent event does not affect the probability of a similar or different outcome in the next.

airowe
09-22-2010, 12:05 PM
1. Brandon Wright
2. Patrick Patterson
3. Greg Monroe
4. Kenny Boynton
5. Harrison Barnes

I believe that domino's name is Kyrie Irving, no?

09-22-2010, 12:08 PM

LMAO exact same thing i was thinking. Number 1 point guard in the nation coming in has gotta count as high profile athlete

dukeballboy88
09-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Sigh.

if you listened to roy last year, none of the problems they had were his fault. he threw his team under the bus and if i was a recruit i would have to take this into consideration. how will i know he wont throw me under the bus if we have a bad season? in my 30 some years of watching duke ive never heard k throw anyone under the bus like roy did last year.

JasonEvans
09-22-2010, 12:27 PM

And Kyle Singler was the consensus #5 recruit in his class (Mayo, Love, Gordon, Beasley).

--Jason "who can remember the last time Duke landed the #1 player in the class? Can you name all of them that Duke got?" Evans

DukeBlueNV
09-22-2010, 12:41 PM
And Kyle Singler was the consensus #5 recruit in his class (Mayo, Love, Gordon, Beasley).

--Jason "who can remember the last time Duke landed the #1 player in the class? Can you name all of them that Duke got?" Evans

McRoberts was the number one player in his class, right? Was Deng another? Elton Brand?

Lord Ash
09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Was Greg Paulus? Or was he just the #1 point guard?

jipops
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
McRoberts was the number one player in his class, right? Was Deng another? Elton Brand?

Deng?... no -some guy named LeBron was in that class. But still, he was the no. 1 guy going to college.

Elton may have been no.1 on some lists. I think same goes for Jason Williams.

Jfrosh
09-22-2010, 12:52 PM

I am sure I will miss some and maybe add a few that were not.

J. Dawkins
Ferry
I remember in 97 three in the same class were #1 at one point during the year
Brand
Battier
Burgess
Jason Williams

Who am I missing?

yancem
09-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Yes, McBob was the #1 recruit in '05. Deng was #2 behind some guy named, I think, Labron James. I don't think he did very well in college though. I'd have to look up Brand. I know that he rose in the rankings his senior year but can't remember if he made it to #1 or not. Probably in at least in 1 or 2 recruiter's rankings.

flyingdutchdevil
09-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Was Greg Paulus? Or was he just the #1 point guard?

I believe that year, McBob was the number one recruit for either Scout or Rivals (or both). Paulus has the number #1 PG for one of those companies as well.

I think McBob is the only #1 that we've received, which I have no problem with. It's the top that I'm concerned with ;)

Nugget
09-22-2010, 12:55 PM
It would be nice to come out on top of a high profile recruiting battle and break the string mentioned above.

Kyrie Ivring looks to be a great player, but beating out Indiana (at least the last few years' version) isn't quite the same as having lost out to UNC for the last 2 or 3 major recruits we've gone head-to-head with them for, or losing out on Patterson and Monroe to Kentucky and Georgetown.

Getting Rivers over UNC would be a very nice PR win, on top of all of Coach K's great reviews by the NBA players, and after he's shown he can still win a national title even with last year's "alarminingly unathletic" team.

To answer Jason's question about prior Duke recruits being at the very top of their classes, my guess is the #1 in their class recruits we've gotten are Josh McRoberts (and how great did that turn out!), either Elton Brand or Shane Battie (both of whom I recall seeing ranked # 1 by one or another of the services in their years), and Danny Ferry?

Perhaps we can count Luol Deng as #1, since he was the top player in that class who actually went to college (Lebron)?

Past that, the highest profiles I recall are:

Top 5: Jason Williams, Chris Duhon and Grant Hill;

Top 10: Dawkins, Laettner, Hurley, Burgess, Maggette, Boozer, Shelden, and Redick.

sagegrouse
09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
It would be nice to come out on top of a high profile recruiting battle and break the string mentioned above.

Kyrie Ivring looks to be a great player, but beating out Indiana (at least the last few years' version) isn't quite the same as having lost out to UNC for the last 2 or 3 major recruits we've gone head-to-head with them for, or losing out on Patterson and Monroe to Kentucky and Georgetown.

Getting Rivers over UNC would be a very nice PR win, on top of all of Coach K's great reviews by the NBA players, and after he's shown he can still win a national title even with last year's "alarminingly unathletic" team.

To answer Jason's question about prior Duke recruits being at the very top of their classes, my guess is the #1 in their class recruits we've gotten are Josh McRoberts (and how great did that turn out!), either Elton Brand or Shane Battie (both of whom I recall seeing ranked # 1 by one or another of the services in their years), and Danny Ferry?

Perhaps we can count Luol Deng as #1, since he was the top player in that class who actually went to college (Lebron)?

Top 10: Dawkins, Laettner, Hurley, Burgess, Maggette, Boozer, Shelden, and Redick.

It's great to win the "high profile recruiting battles," but it is just as good to sign top recruits without a public skirmish. Kyle Singler, a top five recruit, is a recent great example. The kids who end up at Duke are often good fits who commit early.

sagegrouse

gumbomoop
09-22-2010, 01:01 PM

I'd have sworn Dawkins and Hurley were both top 5s.

But I swear too much anyway, esp where Duke bball is concerned.

wtm001
09-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Again, I go back to the fact that Austin supposedly told the Kansas staff that he might not go through with all of his visits and shut his recruitment down by making an early decision if he feels he has found that right school for him early on during the visiting process. He might not make it ot the Kansas visit if he likes his visit to Duke (or, to be objective, his visit to UNC).

ahh, I didn't see that. I hope you're right.

IBleedBlue
09-22-2010, 01:18 PM
LMAO exact same thing i was thinking. Number 1 point guard in the nation coming in has gotta count as high profile athlete

I didn`t count Irving as one because the recruitment battle was never between us and other powerhouse (unless u still count IU as a powerhouse). If his recruitment war was between us and UNC/UK/KU et al, I would have listed him.

enick66
09-22-2010, 01:27 PM
According to Zags blog:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/22/rivers-will-decide-after-visits/

ice-9
09-22-2010, 01:29 PM

This sounds wrong for some reason. ;)

Or maybe it's cause I had 3 jugs of beer.

SilkyJ
09-22-2010, 01:37 PM

J. Dawkins
Ferry
Brand
Battier
Burgess
Jason Williams

Who am I missing?

I don't recall Brand being as high as Battier and Burgess, actually, coming out of high school. In fact, people often talk about how highly rated Burgess was and how it was a surprise when Elton was starting over him and outplaying him immediately freshman year.

I could be wrong, of course, that's just how I remember it.

Deng was a big get. While Lebron was obviously the consensus #1, Deng was also the consensus #2, according to the RSCI.

rotogod00
09-22-2010, 01:41 PM
According to Zags blog:

Nice to hear him say such good things about last nite and Coach K.

Sounds like he's going to take all 3 visits no matter how well the earlier officials go and then decide within a couple of weeks thereafter. So with Kansas scheduled for 10/22, it's looking like end of October, early November; i.e., another 4-6 weeks

MChambers
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't recall Brand being as high as Battier and Burgess, actually, coming out of high school. In fact, people often talk about how highly rated Burgess was and how it was a surprise when Elton was starting over him and outplaying him immediately freshman year.

I could be wrong, of course, that's just how I remember it.
I made the same point a while back here, and someone pointed out to me that Brand was #1 according to at least one recruiting service. I do think that Battier and Burgess got more ink early, but at some point in their senior years it became clear that Brand was the most talented of the bunch.

So my memory is the same as yours, but we are both wrong, apparently. :o

Kedsy
09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I made the same point a while back here, and someone pointed out to me that Brand was #1 according to at least one recruiting service. I do think that Battier and Burgess got more ink early, but at some point in their senior years it became clear that Brand was the most talented of the bunch.

So my memory is the same as yours, but we are both wrong, apparently. :o

According to Al Featherston (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24202), all three guys (Burgess, Battier, Brand) were each rated the #1 player in the class by at least one major recruiting service.

BD80
09-22-2010, 02:27 PM

J. Dawkins
Ferry
Brand
Battier
Burgess
Jason Williams

Who am I missing?

Wasn't Joey Beard a top 10?

gumbomoop
09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
According to Zags blog:

What with all the [understandable] speculation re AR, I did find some real, though not final-final definitive news here. I assume this is the interview to which Duke: A Dynasty referred in post #2780, late last evening.

Since then, we've had some discussion of #1 recruits, etc., but, surprisingly, not much commentary on this blog, wherein the source himself speaks, and, just as Duke: A Dynasty asseted last eve, very positively about K and Duke.

Granted AR says nice things about the other 2 coaches and programs, but not quite so nice as the comments toward the good guys.

I suppose one could say, "Not really much new(s) here," but, considering the source, it's a bit of good news that's both good and news.

Oh, and thanks to enick66 for the link!

richardjackson199
09-22-2010, 03:15 PM
According to Zags blog:

This is really huge news. I know Austin has long been reported a Duke lean, but with Kong and IC's recent supposed inside knowledge of Doc's preferences, Austin's quotes were great to read. I don't care what Joey Beard was ranked or whether a high-school Burgess was ranked ahead of Brand right now in this thread. I know Austin still has to visit and make his decision. But I'm confident that he will have a wonderful time and decide what he already feels is the right fit - playing for the greatest Coach in the college game (already a legendary coach by all accounts), hearing the Crazies erupt every time he drains a dagger, and having the time of his life as he leads Duke to a national championship. Yeah I'm excited - Duke is his leader for good reason.

richardjackson199
09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
What with all the [understandable] speculation re AR, I did find some real, though not final-final definitive news here. I assume this is the interview to which Duke: A Dynasty referred in post #2780, late last evening.

Since then, we've had some discussion of #1 recruits, etc., but, surprisingly, not much commentary on this blog, wherein the source himself speaks, and, just as Duke: A Dynasty asseted last eve, very positively about K and Duke.

Granted AR says nice things about the other 2 coaches and programs, but not quite so nice as the comments toward the good guys.

I suppose one could say, "Not really much new(s) here," but, considering the source, it's a bit of good news that's both good and news.

Ha - we must have both been thinking the same thing and posting at the same time

Duvall
09-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I didn`t count Irving as one because the recruitment battle was never between us and other powerhouse (unless u still count IU as a powerhouse). If his recruitment war was between us and UNC/UK/KU et al, I would have listed him.

Kentucky *was* recruiting him (http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/10/22/irving-makes-it-official-for-duke/). If UK and IU don't count as "powerhouses", then who does?

Never mind, I already know the answer.

09-22-2010, 03:28 PM

No its not what i was reffering to. The article i read was much different in the way he expressed his feelings about the coaches. DukeReport.com is where i read mine. but i payed for it so i cant reveal what else was said in the interview

Class of '94
09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
This is really huge news. I know Austin has long been reported a Duke lean, but with Kong and IC's recent supposed inside knowledge of Doc's preferences, Austin's quotes were great to read. I don't care what Joey Beard was ranked or whether a high-school Burgess was ranked ahead of Brand right now in this thread. I know Austin still has to visit and make his decision. But I'm confident that he will have a wonderful time and decide what he already feels is the right fit - playing for the greatest Coach in the college game (already a legendary coach by all accounts), hearing the Crazies erupt every time he drains a dagger, and having the time of his life as he leads Duke to a national championship. Yeah I'm excited - Duke is his leader for good reason.

1) It was nice to hear the good things he had to say about Coach K and Duke; and it appears that we are in a good spot with him.

2) Based on the what Austin had said about Self, it seems to me that Kansas might be ahead of UNC in Austin's mind. Just my opinion.

3) It seems like Roy might be trying to use our wide net approach against us again by telling Austin that he was the only guard they were recruiting. It is the second time he's used this approach. It may have worked with HB but I don't think it will with Austin. Obviously, we're looking at Quinn; but I find it funny how Roy supposedly said that when PJ is listed at 2-guard and projected, I believe, to be a guard in college.

And on a related note, Does anyone (Kong) know if the IC chatter is still as strong as it was earlier in the week? I'm curious to see if the UNC folks are still as confident about their chances with AR.

DukeBlueNV
09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
"There's no bigger stage in college basketball than playing at Duke. I mean they are on ESPN 28 times a year - that's more than the Lakers" -Austin Rivers

Josh Capers from scout tweeted this quote, I'm guessing, from a premium article on scout.com, I havent seen it anywhere else. I guess this must have been one of the points K and Collins brought up during the visit last night.

09-22-2010, 04:07 PM
"There's no bigger stage in college basketball than playing at Duke. I mean they are on ESPN 28 times a year - that's more than the Lakers" -Austin Rivers

Josh Capers from scout tweeted this quote, I'm guessing, from a premium article on scout.com, I havent seen it anywhere else. I guess this must have been one of the points K and Collins brought up during the visit last night.

Yes that came from a premium article. It was an interview today with Rivers on how all three visits went and what he liked. There is also another interview with him going in depth with the Duke visit basically "The visit lasted a little over three hours with a number of topics being covered and the groundwork being laid for a potential career in Durham as well as the upcoming official visit."

dcdevil2009
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
i'm using espn's 100, but wasn't nolan number 6 in his class and mason number 10? Regardless, I'd rather have a guy outside the top 10 in high school who blossoms into a top 10 college player (Seth Curry?) than a top 5 recruit who peaked in high school (HB?). Hopefully Kyrie and Austin, if we get him, live up to their rankings and don't fit into either category.

slower
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I'd rather have a guy outside the top 10 in high school who blossoms into a top 10 college player (Seth Curry?) than a top 5 recruit who peaked in high school (HB?).

That's quite an assumption you're making there.

uh_no
09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
i'm using espn's 100, but wasn't nolan number 6 in his class and mason number 10? Regardless, I'd rather have a guy outside the top 10 in high school who blossoms into a top 10 college player (Seth Curry?) than a top 5 recruit who peaked in high school (HB?). Hopefully Kyrie and Austin, if we get him, live up to their rankings and don't fit into either category.

it still baffles me how good our guards are

#1 recruit kyrie irving
'nuff said nolan smith
20.2 pts/game freshman year similarly skilled to NBA star brother, seth curry
5 star recruit who put us in the final 4 andre dawkins

andre and seth are starters on any other team in the country, and i think seth will be the #1 6th man in the country.....sort of like (i know you guys will shudder) rashad anderson for the huskies in on their great '04-'06 teams, who led the nation in points off the bench and was a HUGE boost when the team had a slow start.

so yeah, austin rivers should come here

dcdevil2009
09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
That's quite an assumption you're making there.

There's no assumption, just a non-traditional use of the ? to indicate wishful thinking. However, it isn't unrealistic to think Seth could go from outside of the top 200 high school prospects in the nation (just a guess based on him playing for Liberty) to one of the top 50 players in the NCAA. I mean he is Steph Curry's brother. It's also not unrealistic, although not necessarily probable, to think HB won't live up to expectations. Who would have guessed McRoberts Duke career would have played out the way it did, and he came into an incredibly ideal situation? And now HB's being asked to step in and immediately carry UNC from it's worst year since Roy took over, something he didn't know a year ago when UNC was the preseason # 3.

Kedsy
09-22-2010, 05:51 PM
i'm using espn's 100, but wasn't nolan number 6 in his class and mason number 10?

I don't know about ESPN, which is not a particularly highly regarded ratings service, but according to the RSCI composite, Nolan was 19 and Mason was 18.

DevilHorns
09-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Am i the only person here that checks this sight (way to many times a day) and sees the "Austin Rivers thread" at the top every time, and when clicked on it there is never any new news? I really wish he would commit already or people would actually post stuff worth reading :confused:

We're only on page 113. At least 40 more pages until someone drops something in terms of recruiting relevance (ie, until Austin actually commits).

Enjoy the ride.

Man, I hate to gloat about this, but boy, I think I'm right on target with my prediction of page 153. :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2010, 07:40 PM
ďI havenít gone on any officials yet,Ē he said. ďAfter my officials are done with Iíll sit with my family for a couple weeks and then decide.Ē

This thread is gonna hit 4,000 before he announces. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_e_twitch.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)

amazinballer323
09-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Just throwing this out there, but to ice the deal and get Austin here, is there any possiblity we get some "assistant coaches" like the ones Tech U pulls out for Jesus Shuttlesworth in He Got Game? I believe their names were Buffy and Suzy?

chrisheery
09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Didn't see his name mentioned, but wasnt Shav a top 5 recruit, even number 1 by some?

It is cool to be in it with the number one recruit every year. Even if we lose 70% of the time, 30% of the number 1 recruits would be awesome.

SilkyJ
09-22-2010, 08:53 PM
This thread is gonna hit 4,000 before he announces. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_e_twitch.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)

It really might.

Which got me wondering, how does this thread stack up against the John Wall thread, which, if you recall, was the longest thread on the board at the time of its closing (at least since we switched the board in 2007).

The JW thread got to over 2,514 posts in exactly 23 months before it was closed.

The AR thread hit 2,514 in a little over 13 months.

Interestingly, and not surprisingly, 8 of the top 20 threads are recruiting related.

(Further tangent/fun facts- the thread I found most surprising to be on the top 20 list: "Next Football Coach Search" started back in November of 2007 and stopped 3 weeks later. It had 695 posts in that small time -- that's 33 posts per day!!! -- and actually displaced the Patrick Patterson thread as the longest one on the board to date, according to -jk's close down post. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?4928-Next-Football-Coach-Search&p=74664#post74664)

Silky "JW thread was a paltry 3.64 posts per day and AR is only at 6.36 per day; go Duke Football!" J

SilkyJ
09-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Didn't see his name mentioned, but wasnt Shav a top 5 recruit, even number 1 by some?

I also thought he was ranked pretty high, even higher than JJ by many guys, but it turns out not really. RSCI (which, to be honest, I didn't know about back then) had him at 14, and one of the services they use had him at 5.

chrisheery
09-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I also thought he was ranked pretty high, even higher than JJ by many guys, but it turns out not really. RSCI (which, to be honest, I didn't know about back then) had him at 14, and one of the services they use had him at 5.

I just looked it up. I think his hip injury really hurt him his senior year.

BD80
09-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Right now, ol' roy is considered one of the best recruiters in the business. He has cache. He is on a streak recruiting against Coach K.

What happens if he now loses out on Austin?

When Austin was a "Duke lean" after decommitting from UF, it would have been no big deal. But now ol' roy has been allowed to fully recruit Austin and has been in the house and is getting an official visit and is in the "final three."

If Duke wins this "battle," does that shift the recruiting landscape a tad?

PSurprise
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Right now, ol' roy is considered one of the best recruiters in the business. He has cache. He is on a streak recruiting against Coach K.

When Austin was a "Duke lean" after decommitting from UF, it would have been no big deal. But now ol' roy has been allowed to fully recruit Austin and has been in the house and is getting an official visit and is in the "final three."

Considering his "coup" of Barnes last year, I don't think you can say *yet* that there is a shift. However, if K keeps up his excellent streak of landing some very quality recruits, we could return to this topic soon.

DevilHorns
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM

If UNC loses out on Austin, we'll just hear the broken record: Austin was a luxury recruit.... UNC was obviously very late in the game and playing catch-up so it's not a fair assessment of Roy's recruiting ability head-to-head.... Doc and K are good friends already so in this particular case there's a preset bias... etc.

El_Diablo
09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
It really might.

Which got me wondering, how does this thread stack up against the John Wall thread, which, if you recall, was the longest thread on the board at the time of its closing (at least since we switched the board in 2007).

The JW thread got to over 2,514 posts in exactly 23 months before it was closed.

The AR thread hit 2,514 in a little over 13 months.

Interestingly, and not surprisingly, 8 of the top 20 threads are recruiting related.

(Further tangent/fun facts- the thread I found most surprising to be on the top 20 list: "Next Football Coach Search" started back in November of 2007 and stopped 3 weeks later. It had 695 posts in that small time -- that's 33 posts per day!!! -- and actually displaced the Patrick Patterson thread as the longest one on the board to date, according to -jk's close down post. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?4928-Next-Football-Coach-Search&p=74664#post74664)

Silky "JW thread was a paltry 3.64 posts per day and AR is only at 6.36 per day; go Duke Football!" J

And keep in mind that this is the second main Austin Rivers recruiting thread. Both started running in the summer/fall 2009, but they were never merged. The first one was called "Austin Rivers rumor??????" and then changed to "Austin Rivers" after he visited Duke in September 2009:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?16471

Actually, for posterity's sake, merging the two threads now would fill in the relatively large gaps at the beginning of each thread and make one cohesive story. It looks like there wouldn't be any overlap, since the threads have the following post dates:

7/10-7/11: "Austin Rivers"
7/28-8/14: "Smoke/Fire"
9/12-9/22: "Austin Rivers"
9/23-present: "Smoke/Fire"

Merging would bump this thread up another 106 posts (all near the beginning). I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing... :D

-jk
09-22-2010, 10:43 PM
And keep in mind that this is the second main Austin Rivers recruiting thread. Both started running in the summer/fall 2009, but they were never merged. The first one was called "Austin Rivers rumor??????" and then changed to "Austin Rivers" after he visited Duke in September 2009:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?16471

Actually, for posterity's sake, merging the two threads now would fill in the relatively large gaps at the beginning of each thread and make one cohesive story. It looks like there wouldn't be any overlap, since the threads have the following post dates:

7/10-7/11: "Austin Rivers"
7/28-8/14: "Smoke/Fire"
9/12-9/22: "Austin Rivers"
9/23-present: "Smoke/Fire"

Merging would bump this thread up another 106 posts (all near the beginning). I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing... :D

Merging would completely screw up the "new" button. No one would ever know what they have already read - short of rereading the whole thread, an absurd burden. We should never merge two threads that old.

-jk

-bdbd
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM

We've all heard it before.... I predict that within ten minutes of an AR commit to Duke we'll see dozens of posts from "insiders" over on IC that "We weren't really recruiting him that hard anyway." Oh and, " 'ole Roy was just being cagey, making K work hard for a recruit he thought was in his pocket (so we could go after X...)." And, the old standby, "We already have 2 stud PG's, so we really didn't NEED him anyway."

Trust me, we've seen before it on Laettner, Hill, Hurley, Battier,and others.... It gets comical quickly as they scramble for excuses to justify themselves and all of their bravado. :D

DevilHorns
09-22-2010, 11:09 PM
To airowe and other recruiting ''insiders'':

How much credence do you give someone like Jason Jordan (sportswriter for Espn and Dime magazine for those who haven't heard of him) regarding Rivers' recruitment/decision process. He seems to have some inside info on his upcoming diary entry, and perhaps he may generally be hinting on where he believes he ends up.

http://twitter.com/JayJayESPNDime

Austin Rivers diary highlight #5: "Coach Williams is a really cool guy!" ... Full diary coming in a few!
less than a minute ago via web
Austin Rivers diary highlight #4: "Duke felt like I was the kind of player that could have that type of freedom that J Will had"
6 minutes ago via web
Austin Rivers diary highlight #3: "My situation is kinda similar to what Harrison did..."
17 minutes ago via web
Austin Rivers diary highlight #2: "With Duke it was like old friends coming to the house." ... Stay tuned...
42 minutes ago via web
Austin Rivers diary coming later; here's a highlight. Served Roy and K ribs and Self had lasagna! haha Said EVERYONE brought their appetite!

I particularly dislike the quote "My situation is kinda similar to what Harrison did..." mixed in with "Coach Williams is a really cool guy!"

I hope Austin isn't persuaded by the glitz and glamour of UNC's recruitment process. We're the ''old friends'' that have been pursuing for a while... in some ways, I can see that as a disadvantage if this kid relies more on choosing a place on a quick hunch. I'm sure UNC is bringing out the big guns... ie, having Jordan wear an Austin Rivers t-shirt in tarheel blue a la ''Shav Country.''

rotogod00
09-22-2010, 11:16 PM

How much credence do you give someone like Jason Jordan (sportswriter for Espn and Dime magazine for those who haven't heard of him) regarding Rivers' recruitment/decision process. He seems to have some inside info on his upcoming diary entry, and perhaps he may generally be hinting on where he believes he ends up.

Austin Rivers diary highlight #5: "Coach Williams is a really cool guy!" ... Full diary coming in a few!
less than a minute ago via web
Austin Rivers diary highlight #4: "Duke felt like I was the kind of player that could have that type of freedom that J Will had"
6 minutes ago via web
Austin Rivers diary highlight #3: "My situation is kinda similar to what Harrison did..."
17 minutes ago via web
Austin Rivers diary highlight #2: "With Duke it was like old friends coming to the house." ... Stay tuned...
42 minutes ago via web
Austin Rivers diary coming later; here's a highlight. Served Roy and K ribs and Self had lasagna! haha Said EVERYONE brought their appetite!

I particularly dislike the quote "My situation is kinda similar to what Harrison did..." mixed in with "Coach Williams is a really cool guy!"

I hope Austin isn't persuaded by the glitz and glamour of UNC's recruitment process. We're the ''old friends'' that have been pursuing for a while... in some ways, I can see that as a disadvantage if this kid relies more on choosing a place on a quick hunch. I'm sure UNC is bringing out the big guns... ie, having Jordan wear an Austin Rivers t-shirt in tarheel blue a la ''Shav Country.''

just added:
Austin Rivers diary highlight #6: "I ended up texting my boy Kyrie, we didnít even talk about the visit. We were talking about Mike Posner!"

jimsumner
09-22-2010, 11:16 PM

Umm, the Duke coach is considered one of the best recruiters in the business and has been considered so since 1982. He has a bit of cache, himself. Four NCAA titles and unprecedented international success worth.

And he has a roster of players Roy Williams would kill for.

Just curious, can anyone name the last Duke recruiting class without at least one prep All-American?

Try 1981. That's right, 1981. And that streak is in no danger of ending.

I get it. Losing Harrison Barnes hurt. But it wasn't a defining recruiting loss for Duke any more than losing Kenny Anderson or Chris Webber or Randy Livingston or Vince Carter. And UNC losing Austin Rivers to Duke won't be a defining loss for them either. Take Rivers out of the equation and both Duke and UNC will be loaded next season and both will still be in competition for top recruits next season and for the forseable future.

Starter
09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm no insider by any means, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have written for one of those publications he works for myself in the past. I think Jason Jordan is just sort of reaching for attention. He's the guy that Rivers files his diary entries to, I'm sure, and is just throwing out some excerpts to get followers, page views, etc. I made an active search for Austin Rivers knowing about his visit, so I've been seeing what Jordan has been saying, and earlier in the day he rhetorically asked if this recruitment reminds anyone of Barnes. I think he put that particular snippet up without context to back his own point. And I'm sure Roy Williams is a cool guy when you hang out with him in person, provided he's not belittling natural disasters or whatever.

He said the diary will be up tonight, so we'll probably get some more insight that way. Of course, I expect nothing truly telling in it.

SilkyJ
09-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Austin Rivers diary highlight #5:...

These quotes are out of context and meant to incite curiosity. I would read absolutely NOTHING into them.

Since DevilHorns posted, JayJay has updated with two more tweets: one is above and is about how he talked to Kyrie and the next one is about how he knows guys at UNC. Its obvious he's posting stuff to tease both fanbases and get us riled up, which is no surprise. That's what these guys do.

When the diary comes out, then we can pull our hair out.

Starter
09-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Here's the diary link. Reading it now.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/09/austin-rivers-diary-eliminating-florida/

SilkyJ
09-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Nothing new here, really.

Summary: Duke has been recruiting him for a while and has a headstart on UNC and KU (we already knew that, just the other day he said that and said we were leaders b/c of it. makes sense.) But he liked all 3 coaches and their vision for him.

The main thing that jumped out at me was that he is really good friends with kyrie (again, knew that) knows a bunch of the guys at UNC, and isn't close with anyone at kansas.

My guess is it will be a 2 horse race b/w UNC and Duke and when he takes his visits, how comfortable he feels with the campus, other players, etc. will be the deciding factor.

Anything can happen, but I like our chances. Seeing the banner raised at CTC certainly wont hurt.

Duvall
09-23-2010, 12:14 AM

A streak of what, two?

I'm sure Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski will be fine regardless of where Austin Rivers decides to spend his year of college.

G man
09-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Nothing new here, really.

Summary: Duke has been recruiting him for a while and has a headstart on UNC and KU (we already knew that, just the other day he said that and said we were leaders b/c of it. makes sense.) But he liked all 3 coaches and their vision for him.

The main thing that jumped out at me was that he is really good friends with kyrie (again, knew that) knows a bunch of the guys at UNC, and isn't close with anyone at kansas.

My guess is it will be a 2 horse race b/w UNC and Duke and when he takes his visits, how comfortable he feels with the campus, other players, etc. will be the deciding factor.

Anything can happen, but I like our chances. Seeing the banner raised at CTC certainly wont hurt.

Yeah I agree it was pretty harmless. None the less I like where we stand. Trying not to get to worked up over the situation, but I feel myself getting wrapped up all over again.

duke09hms
09-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Honestly people, next to none of the things these kids write is authentic. They most likely have a decision already made up and are just milking the process for all the attention it's worth. Why?

More like why not? I too would love the attention and would hate for it to end. These kids are way too media-savvy and know how to play the game too well that it's very unlikely they'd actually put their real thoughts and feelings out there.

For example, in Austin Rivers' latest diary post, he hardly says anything of substance, just taking the fanbases of arguably the 3 strongest basketball programs along for the ride.

Recruiting is fun and fun to follow, but let's try to realize nothing is in the bag until our guy actually commits.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2010, 01:00 AM
And I'm sure Roy Williams is a cool guy when you hang out with him in person.
I bet he's not. He'll throw you out of his yard.

Jderf
09-23-2010, 07:33 AM

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/09/austin-rivers-diary-eliminating-florida/

Seven glasses of lemonade? Must have been some spicy ribs...

SupaDave
09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
How could you not like his diary posting? Regardless of any sour grapes you might have about him "wanting" attention (no one said that about MJ's kids when they were dragging out their recruitments with their good but average talent) - the kid is giving us another great look at the process of battling on Tobacco Road.

Some things I particularly liked - he talks about fitting in and running UNC/Kansas' system but when he switches to Duke he uses the word "vision". That's a whole other level of "what if?" right there.

Coach K pulling out the USA ring and Rivers making note of it. That's pretty cool. Let this be the end to any of that "Olympics hurt recruiting" talk.

Kyrie was recruited by his teammates, think he'll do the same? Hmmmmm...

He's already showing shades of K. His shout out to and endorsement of Florida is a great way to not only keep his name in good standing but to also shine a little light on Florida. Good politics (something I know Stray and Mullet appreciate). (NOT similiar to HB in that aspect - that's why he said kinda - and he's probably going to the OTHER school..).

flyingdutchdevil
09-23-2010, 08:05 AM

I can't help but be positive about this. UNC and Kansas had the same pitch? Did anyone see that episode of Entourage where Vince fires Ari and goes to a variety of agencies and they all pitch the same presentation? That reminds me of this. Amazing...

That said, I've promised myself never to be optimistic about a recruit (cynical, I know) after a certain situation 10 months ago (that was like that first girlfriend you had in high school who you confessed your love to and then broke up with you the next day for the starting PG)

sdotbarbee
09-23-2010, 08:12 AM
TheRecruitScoop Austin Rivers tells Rivals.com that, "The other schools are playing catch up to Duke."
about 1 hour ago via web
Retweeted by crazietalker and 3 others
Reply Retweet

I think this has been mentioned and discussed but it is still good to hear. I would rather be the leader and have other schools playing catch up.

BD80
09-23-2010, 08:51 AM
You know what I find most encouraging?

No word from Kong or any word of optimism from IC since the in-home with Coach K.

That "rumor" about Doc favoring carolina turns out to be Doc insisting that Austin go through the process and at least listen to other schools. Note that Florida dropped off the list - a school that Austin had already fully heard from.

Should we send out a missing person's report on Kong?

CharlestonDevil
09-23-2010, 09:03 AM
TheRecruitScoop Austin Rivers tells Rivals.com that, "The other schools are playing catch up to Duke."

Knowing that we are the leader is a good thing. But knowing that whatever experiences AR has on campus in Chapel Hill or Lawrence will be measured next to Cameron Indoor at it's finest, while raising a championship banner, is what is really encouraging.

devildeac
09-23-2010, 09:07 AM

No word from Kong or any word of optimism from IC since the in-home with Coach K.

That "rumor" about Doc favoring carolina turns out to be Doc insisting that Austin go through the process and at least listen to other schools. Note that Florida dropped off the list - a school that Austin had already fully heard from.

Last time I checked (yesterday), he was "on holiday."

devildeac
09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I bet he's not. He'll throw you out of his yard.

Or under the bus.

sdotbarbee
09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Knowing that we are the leader is a good thing. But knowing that whatever experiences AR has on campus in Chapel Hill or Lawrence will be measured next to Cameron Indoor at it's finest, while raising a championship banner, is what is really encouraging.

Yeah it is hard for me to believe that chapel hell or Lawrence could even remotely compare to what AR will experience in Durham. With us in the lead going into his visits, and him seeing our banner getting raised and the way he talked about wanting an NCAA championship looks very promising for us.

airowe
09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
A streak of what, two?

I'm sure Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski will be fine regardless of where Austin Rivers decides to spend his year of college.

Pretty sure it's a streak of one, unless Leslie McDonald committed to unc after Ryan Kelly did to Duke.

Turtleboy
09-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Cache (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=EmR&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&defl=en&q=define:cache&sa=X&ei=G1SbTOv7G4WKlwfrg6nDCg&ved=0CBUQkAE).

Cachet. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=cSm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&defl=en&q=define:cachet&sa=X&ei=XlSbTI-kAoX7lwfk3b3ACg&ved=0CBYQkAE)

JasonEvans
09-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Folks,

It is not easy to venture into the lion's den and stand toe-to-toe with the lion. Plenty of ya'll complained and sent notes to the mods when Kong was posting a few days ago. It is bad form for you to now be eager for him to come back so you can taunt him a bit.

Carolina fans -- as well as fans of any other school -- are welcome here and should be treated with respect. I am sure that when Kong's "vacation" ends, he will come back and chime in. I doubt he is very surprised by the Rivers comments though. Most Carolina fans feel that Rivers is a longshot and that getting him from Duke will be a big mountain to climb.

-Jason "gloating does not suit us well-- especially not before the kid has actually committed anywhere" Evans

BD80
09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Folks,

It is not easy to venture into the lion's den and stand toe-to-toe with the lion. Plenty of ya'll complained and sent notes to the mods when Kong was posting a few days ago. It is bad form for you to now be eager for him to come back so you can taunt him a bit.

Carolina fans -- as well as fans of any other school -- are welcome here and should be treated with respect. I am sure that when Kong's "vacation" ends, he will come back and chime in. I doubt he is very surprised by the Rivers comments though. Most Carolina fans feel that Rivers is a longshot and that getting him from Duke will be a big mountain to climb.

-Jason "gloating does not suit us well-- especially not before the kid has actually committed anywhere" Evans

I actually did want to hear from Kong regarding the mood of the IC premium board. He seemed to me to be the kind that if he was going to dish it out he was going to be willing to take some. He hasn't earned the level of respect we accord Wheat, but this was a chance for him. He had posted regarding the optimism on the IC board after ol' roy's visit, I thought he would be able to fill us in now.

I don't have the patience or tolerance to check out IC myself.

Turtleboy
Cache.

Cachet.

Touchet

French sucks.

PADukeMom
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
If UNC loses out on Austin, we'll just hear the broken record: Austin was a luxury recruit.... UNC was obviously very late in the game and playing catch-up so it's not a fair assessment of Roy's recruiting ability head-to-head.... Doc and K are good friends already so in this particular case there's a preset bias... etc.

Pardon me for saying this but why would any of us give a damn what any Carolina fan thinks?

loran16
09-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Honestly people, next to none of the things these kids write is authentic. They most likely have a decision already made up and are just milking the process for all the attention it's worth. Why?

More like why not? I too would love the attention and would hate for it to end. These kids are way too media-savvy and know how to play the game too well that it's very unlikely they'd actually put their real thoughts and feelings out there.

For example, in Austin Rivers' latest diary post, he hardly says anything of substance, just taking the fanbases of arguably the 3 strongest basketball programs along for the ride.

Recruiting is fun and fun to follow, but let's try to realize nothing is in the bag until our guy actually commits.

You know, I'm sure some of these guys do that, but can we please stop with the generalization here? The custom of in-home visits and then taking multiple official visits developed for a reason; guys are making a big decision and could very easily change their minds.

It's possible Austin has already completely made up his mind. It's also possible that he's got a strong lean somewhere, but could be persuaded otherwise. Lets not assume that this whole process however is simply Austin grabbing for attention.

delfrio
09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Note that he made his favorite dinner for the Kansas visit. What message is he sending with that lasagna???

PADukeMom
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Note that he made his favorite dinner for the Kansas visit. What message is he sending with that lasagna???

Limp noodles???

OldPhiKap
09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Roy is a double-dipper.

duketaylor
09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
It's over, it's been over. Just gotta wait.

kong123
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Nah, I'm right here. Just got banned for a few days.

Its like I have said all along, UNC is still trailing Duke big time, but it is more open than previously thought. i can say that i heard that AR called one of the UNC players after Coach K left and AR confirmed it in his blog.

Duke79UNLV77
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Nah, I'm right here. Just got banned for a few days.

Its like I have said all along, UNC is still trailing Duke big time, but it is more open than previously thought. i can say that i heard that AR called one of the UNC players after Coach K left and AR confirmed it in his blog.

Yes, that's clearly what Kong has been saying all along:

"the same source claims that something from AR's camp made today's visit really important. don't know what that means, but the premium board is blowing up with excitement and optimism."

"I realize that I took a ton of crap for saying this earlier in the month, but from everything I hear, Doc wants his son to go to UNC. I will not quote from the sources, but a week after UNC in-home and now a lot UNC people think we have a great shot at AR. Perhaps, even a better shot than Duke."

roywhite
09-23-2010, 12:13 PM

"the same source claims that something from AR's camp made today's visit really important. don't know what that means, but the premium board is blowing up with excitement and optimism."

"I realize that I took a ton of crap for saying this earlier in the month, but from everything I hear, Doc wants his son to go to UNC. I will not quote from the sources, but a week after UNC in-home and now a lot UNC people think we have a great shot at AR. Perhaps, even a better shot than Duke."

Who is being quoted here? Kong?

A premium message board poster from IC or elsewhere?

Your own opinion previously expressed?

kong123
09-23-2010, 12:16 PM

i don't think we have a better shot than Duke. I think UNC will be just fine without AR. A second year Bullock, a third year Strickland, and a freshman PJH- I think we will be more than fine at the 2 spot.

Class of '94
09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
i don't think we have a better shot than Duke. I think UNC will be just fine without AR. A second year Bullock, a third year Strickland, and a freshman PJH- I think we will be more than fine at the 2 spot.

But it is good to hear back from you Kong. I'm not a proponent of Carolina fans but I've found many of your posts to be interesting in terms of getting a Tarheel perspective on things like recruiting. I too was generally curious and interested in hearing any feedback you might have heard on IC after K's visit to AR.

It's interesting to note that he called a Carolina player after K's visit but at the same time, he's also talked to Kyrie recently as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gotten HB's perspective on this since he went through a similar situation last year; but I don't think that will play a big role in AR decsision when you consider how close he is to Kyrie.

CharlestonDevil
09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Kong,

As many have suggested in the past that Roy is recruiting AR just to spite Duke/K, and that he also does this as a general practice, I think your quote lends great support to that theory.

Duke79UNLV77
09-23-2010, 12:34 PM

After comparing inside sources at the IC premium board to "rock stars," Kong said "a week after UNC in-home and now a lot UNC people think we have a great shot at AR. Perhaps, even a better shot than Duke." Now, he says that he has "said all along" that "UNC is still trailing Duke big time."

Kong is ready to run for political office!

I suspect there will be more buzz after Rivers' on-campus visit at UNC. Hopefully, after his on-campus visit at Duke, UNC will be back to being "just fine without AR" so that he would be superfluous again.

JohnGalt
09-23-2010, 12:39 PM
It's interesting to note that he called a Carolina player after K's visit but at the same time, he's also talked to Kyrie recently as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gotten HB's perspective on this since he went through a similar situation last year; but I don't think that will play a big role in AR decsision when you consider how close he is to Kyrie.

I've seen this comment (or something to that effect) several times, but I thought AR and Harrison had a bit of a tiff going? Is that not the case? It seems as though I read that in the past it was sort of known that AR didn't really want much to do with Harrison (or perhaps, vice versa). Can anyone (in)validate that?

kong123
09-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Kong,

As many have suggested in the past that Roy is recruiting AR just to spite Duke/K, and that he also does this as a general practice, I think your quote lends great support to that theory.

well, i don't think recruiting the #1 shooting guard in the 2011 class is only to spite Duke. I think anytime you can add a player who appears to be able to get his shot off, in any number of different ways, you go and get him. I don't think Roy looks on K's list of recruits and picks the ones that he wants to steal. Most of the time, these blue chipper's are wanted by all the top schools. AR expressed interest in UNC and Roy is exploring the opportunity. KU is also doing the same thing. I think you are wrong on this one.

However, from a UNC fan's perspective, I think most UNC fan's would love to see him go to UNC instead of Duke, for many reasons. One of which is, so he wouldn't go to Duke. Don't confuse the rapid fan for the actions of a coach.

kong123
09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
After comparing inside sources at the IC premium board to "rock stars," Kong said "a week after UNC in-home and now a lot UNC people think we have a great shot at AR. Perhaps, even a better shot than Duke." Now, he says that he has "said all along" that "UNC is still trailing Duke big time."

Kong is ready to run for political office!

I suspect there will be more buzz after Rivers' on-campus visit at UNC. Hopefully, after his on-campus visit at Duke, UNC will be back to being "just fine without AR" so that he would be superfluous again.

I have said this for the last few months. You can debate whether or not I said it because of the fact that Duke appears to be in the lead, but my stance really hasn't changed. What has changed is my optimism. I now think there is a slight possibility that AR will go to UNC. The chance is small- but "you're saying there's a chance!".

SilkyJ
09-23-2010, 12:44 PM
i can say that i heard that AR called one of the UNC players after Coach K left and AR confirmed it in his blog.

Do you have a link to support this? I haven't heard this.

kong123
09-23-2010, 12:49 PM

i think i misread the comment. but it has been said that he called a UNC player after the Duke visit. Take it for what it's worth.

sdotbarbee
09-23-2010, 12:58 PM

i think i misread the comment. but it has been said that he called a UNC player after the Duke visit. Take it for what it's worth.

He texted Kyrie after the visit so maybe you are just a little confused.

I ended up texting my boy Kyrie Irving (Duke), but we didnít even talk about the visit. We were talking about Mike Posner. Kyrieís my boy, so we talk all the time. I also talk to players from UNC. Like I know P.J. Hairston, Kendall Marshall and Reggie Bullock, and I know Harrison Barnes a little too.

BD80
09-23-2010, 01:14 PM
... most UNC fan's would love to see him go to UNC instead of Duke, for many reasons. One of which is, so he wouldn't go to Duke. Don't confuse the rapid fan for the actions of a coach.

You mean there's only 8 minutes left in a tie game at the Dean Dome and the fans are rushing to their cars?

Kong, thanks for coming back in the face of (mostly) friendly fire.

What is the mood at IC premium now? A bit more subdued than after ol' roy's in home with Austin?

Frankly, I think the whole HB / Rivers thing works out well. Harrison would have created a logjam at the "3," causing either he or Singler to guard the "4." The sting of missing out on HB was gone the second Kyle announced he was staying. unc was desperate for HB, and they will get a year of him - even though he will be guarding the "4" for at least a third of his playing time.

With Kyrie (likely), Nolan and Kyle leaving next year (and Seth likely nearly able to graduate), a LOT of minutes open up on the wing and a BIG void in leadership is created. In walks Austin - perfect fit.

OldPhiKap
09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Don't confuse the rapid fan for the actions of a coach.

Does that mean that one is fast, and the other is slow?

(j/k)

kong123
09-23-2010, 01:29 PM
You mean there's only 8 minutes left in a tie game at the Dean Dome and the fans are rushing to their cars?

Kong, thanks for coming back in the face of (mostly) friendly fire.

What is the mood at IC premium now? A bit more subdued than after ol' roy's in home with Austin?

Frankly, I think the whole HB / Rivers thing works out well. Harrison would have created a logjam at the "3," causing either he or Singler to guard the "4." The sting of missing out on HB was gone the second Kyle announced he was staying. unc was desperate for HB, and they will get a year of him - even though he will be guarding the "4" for at least a third of his playing time.

With Kyrie (likely), Nolan and Kyle leaving next year (and Seth likely nearly able to graduate), a LOT of minutes open up on the wing and a BIG void in leadership is created. In walks Austin - perfect fit.

i agree, big void. if AR is only going to be in college for one year and he wanted to win a NC, would he have a better shot at it at UNC or Duke? HB is telling people in CH that he is staying for 3 years. of course, we all know how that goes.....

Duvall
09-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Now:

well, i don't think recruiting the #1 shooting guard in the 2011 class is only to spite Duke. I think anytime you can add a player who appears to be able to get his shot off, in any number of different ways, you go and get him. I don't think Roy looks on K's list of recruits and picks the ones that he wants to steal. Most of the time, these blue chipper's are wanted by all the top schools. AR expressed interest in UNC and Roy is exploring the opportunity. KU is also doing the same thing. I think you are wrong on this one.

However, from a UNC fan's perspective, I think most UNC fan's would love to see him go to UNC instead of Duke, for many reasons. One of which is, so he wouldn't go to Duke. Don't confuse the rapid fan for the actions of a coach.

Then:

thats fair, but the quote from Roy was ""The game wasn't over? I saw the first half stat sheets, looked at his (Austin's) shot numbers and thought the game had to be over."
- Roy Williams right after leaving when he reviewed the stats from the first half of Austin's game.

now some of you will say, he is the man on the team, he has to take all the shots for the team to have any chance of victory. others may say, he is a ball hog and isn't a good distributor. Either way, I decided a few months ago that I didn't want Rivers to go to UNC. We don't have room at that position and I don't think he will be any better than a 2nd year Bullock. I may not enjoy watching him play at Duke, but he will not be the first player from Duke to make me sick to my stomach and he won't be the last.

kong123
09-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Now:

Then:

i don't think i have varied much. if anything, i have shown more optimism.

Duke79UNLV77
09-23-2010, 01:41 PM
AR expressed interest in UNC and Roy is exploring the opportunity.

I don't think Ole Roy is recruiting Austin just to spite Duke. It's because Austin is a stud.

As clarification, though, Austin said the initial overture came from Ole Roy, not the other way around.

"So basically, North Carolina reached out to Coach T.J., my AAU coach, and asked if I’d be interested in them and I said yeah, and so Coach Williams came on down."

http://dimemag.com/2010/03/austin-rivers-h-s-hoop-diary-north-carolina-enters-the-picture/

Duvall
09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
HB is telling people in CH that he is staying for 3 years.

Barnes says a lot of things.

Devilsfan
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Probably right, now that he may not have a ghost writer for his school work.

Bob Green
09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
...but it has been said that he called a UNC player after the Duke visit. Take it for what it's worth.

Without a link to a credible source it isn't worth anything at all. On DBR, we prefer facts over rumors.

SilkyJ
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
i can say that i heard that AR called one of the UNC players after Coach K left and AR confirmed it in his blog.

i think i misread the comment. but it has been said that he called a UNC player after the Duke visit.

Ah, the classic misread.

Take it for what it's worth.

Its also been said on IC that Rivers is a 91% lock for UNC, so its worth very little.

kong123
09-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Ah, the classic misread.

Its also been said on IC that Rivers is a 91% lock for UNC, so its worth very little.

no one has said that AR is a 91% lock for UNC

oldnavy
09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
But it is good to hear back from you Kong. I'm not a proponent of Carolina fans but I've found many of your posts to be interesting in terms of getting a Tarheel perspective on things like recruiting. I too was generally curious and interested in hearing any feedback you might have heard on IC after K's visit to AR.

Well since this has been asked a couple of times and Kong has not responded directly to the question, I believe we can infer that the mood has become a little less enthusiastic over at IC.

muzikfrk75
09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
This is getting ridiculous...nothing is 100% until he signs.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2010, 03:19 PM
This is getting ridiculous...nothing is 100% until he signs.
Getting? This thread hit that milestone long, long ago.

BD80
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Getting? This thread hit that milestone long, long ago.

College recruiting, it's FANNNNN- ATIC!

sandinmyshoes
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Most of my UNC friends don't feel very positive about Austin at all. I think they had a slight bump in optimism lately, a very few actually even feel good about their chances. The rest seem to be conceding him to us. A good number of them seem perplexed as to why Williams is recruiting him since they don't think they have a realistic chance and they are fairly deep in the backcourt now (including commits). I don't believe those thinking that last bit realize how good Austin is.

The thing that makes me the most nervous is how good I actually feel about this one. Not getting him, at this point, would be more disappointing than the Barnes decision.

richardjackson199
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
i agree, big void. if AR is only going to be in college for one year and he wanted to win a NC, would he have a better shot at it at UNC or Duke?
HB is telling people in CH that he is staying for 3 years. of course, we all know how that goes.....

--Austin would have a much better shot at winning a title at Duke because he would be playing for one of the best coaches in the world. See last year's season as evidence of what the 2 coaches do when playing with 2 teams of similar ability. UNC was ranked preaseason #4 Coaches Poll and #6 AP going into last year. Duke was AP #9 and Coaches #8. K led a good team into a great one for the ages. Poor ol' Roy captained a catastrophe which he was quoted as saying was worse to him than the earthquakes in Haiti.
--For anybody over at IC who believes HB will stay 3 years, I have some oceanfront property in Nevada I'd like to sell.

oldnavy
09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
--Austin would have a much better shot at winning a title at Duke because he would be playing for one of the best coaches in the world. See last year's season as evidence of what the 2 coaches do when playing with 2 teams of similar ability. UNC was ranked preaseason #4 Coaches Poll and #6 AP going into last year. Duke was AP #9 and Coaches #8. K led a good team into a great one for the ages. Poor ol' Roy captained a catastrophe which he was quoted as saying was worse to him than the earthquakes in Haiti.
--For anybody over at IC who believes HB will stay 3 years, I have some oceanfront property in Nevada I'd like to sell.

Well, it is really simple 4 > 2. The answer is Coach K.

kong123
09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Well since this has been asked a couple of times and Kong has not responded directly to the question, I believe we can infer that the mood has become a little less enthusiastic over at IC.

i haven't answered because this question because i feel it has already been answered. the general mood is optimistic. most had already accepted that Duke would get AR and now there is a breath of new life into his recruitment. A few of the "insiders" are getting everyone excited, making the members feel that we have a coin flip chance. I don't know that I feel this way. The majority feels that we will be in even better position once AR steps on campus. Unfortunately, he isn't attending UNC's Late Night, and I think that is a big big deal.

The mood over there isn't "less enthusiastic". Its way more! Cody Zeller received 2 visits last week. Some think he is the key to next years team. Also, Roy has visited SM in Vegas recently and everyone is stoked on that. Roy also flew to Conn. to see Drummond. He looks to be a UCONN lock at the moment, but with impending sanctions yet to be handed down, who knows. Lots of stuff going on over on the IC that doesn't revolve around AR.

BD80
09-23-2010, 05:10 PM
i haven't answered because this question because i feel it has already been answered. the general mood is optimistic. most had already accepted that Duke would get AR and now there is a breath of new life into his recruitment. A few of the "insiders" are getting everyone excited, making the members feel that we have a coin flip chance. I don't know that I feel this way. The majority feels that we will be in even better position once AR steps on campus. Unfortunately, he isn't attending UNC's Late Night, and I think that is a big big deal.

The mood over there isn't "less enthusiastic". Its way more! Cody Zeller received 2 visits last week. Some think he is the key to next years team. Also, Roy has visited SM in Vegas recently and everyone is stoked on that. Roy also flew to Conn. to see Drummond. He looks to be a UCONN lock at the moment, but with impending sanctions yet to be handed down, who knows. Lots of stuff going on over on the IC that doesn't revolve around AR.

Kong, sincerely, thanks for the update. It is interesting to see what unc is up to. Even though I despise tar heel teams, they are more interesting to me than any teams other than Duke.

As you can plainly see, there isn't much going on here that doesn't involve AR.

I can also see why it is good for unc that ol' roy is so full of it, because he seems to be spreading it pretty thick and over a good part of the country. :D

oldnavy
09-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Yes but the question was how is the mood now that K had the in-house visit. That was not answered. Anyway, I did not mean to say the overall mood at IC is less enthusiastic, only the mood with regards to AR. I suspect that Ol Roy is doing fine on the recruiting trail, and neither Duke or UNC will collapse if they do not get AR. Both programs appear to be on solid footing for the next several years.

kong123
09-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes but the question was how is the mood now that K had the in-house visit. That was not answered. Anyway, I did not mean to say the overall mood at IC is less enthusiastic, only the mood with regards to AR. I suspect that Ol Roy is doing fine on the recruiting trail, and neither Duke or UNC will collapse if they do not get AR. Both programs appear to be on solid footing for the next several years.

Coach K's visit has done nothing to the optimism over on the IC. For better or worse, those guys are immune to that sort of stuff.

Class of '94
09-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks Kong for answering the questions. I give you a lot of credit for taking the heat and being a good sport about it as evidenced by your return trips to post on DBR.

kong123
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks Kong for answering the questions. I give you a lot of credit for taking the heat and being a good sport about it as evidenced by your return trips to post on DBR.

thanks, i have fun here. sometimes people read too much into what i post and sometimes i get caught up in too many exchanges. i understand i represent a team you despise on this forum. i try not to let all the heat bother me, but sometimes i am guilty. luckily, for me, the mods haven't completely run me out of Dodge.

oldnavy
09-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Coach K's visit has done nothing to the optimism over on the IC. For better or worse, those guys are immune to that sort of stuff.

Now thats an answer! Thanks.

airowe
09-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Is it all based on uncdave's magical percentage genrator? :o)

kong123
09-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Is it all based on uncdave's magical percentage genrator? :o)

that is rather stupid, huh? those guys want the same cred Low has on that site. its pretty stupid, but it is entertaining!

Gthoma2a
09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but to Kong, Zeller the key? I know that they are long and skinny enough to fit into most doors, but I haven't seen anything about his older brother after two years to consider him that important. Even our beloved Plumlees were not stars out of the gate. Like I say, I am not trying to be insulting (just joking a little), but I am not insane about MP3's immediate impact as a freshman. For the same reason, it just seems like that may be reaching, right? Do you consider him that big to you guys?

kong123
09-23-2010, 07:11 PM
well, if his brother and Henson both leave, then we have no one to play the 4 or 5. It may be a stretch to say that Tyler Zeller goes to the NBA next year, but Henson's upside maybe enough for him to get drafted early next year. Everyone knows that Knox is only in CH for a year, and HB could be the #1 pick next year if he decides to go. All of that leaves the already thin Heels in a bad position. There are two other 6'8" guys on the recruiting board right now, but they are not as highly ranked as Zeller nor do they appear to be ready for starters minutes.

Gthoma2a
09-23-2010, 07:20 PM
well, if his brother and Henson both leave, then we have no one to play the 4 or 5. It may be a stretch to say that Tyler Zeller goes to the NBA next year, but Henson's upside maybe enough for him to get drafted early next year. Everyone knows that Knox is only in CH for a year, and HB could be the #1 pick next year if he decides to go. All of that leaves the already thin Heels in a bad position. There are two other 6'8" guys on the recruiting board right now, but they are not as highly ranked as Zeller nor do they appear to be ready for starters minutes.

Cool answer. I can see that. I think you will have his older brother. You guys will have a rebuilding year again if Henson and HB leave, but I can see where the Zellers would at least give you a positional lineup that is closer to being big enough to compete with a physical team (given that they both start really bulking up now... that is a concern).

kong123
09-23-2010, 07:29 PM
for the record, i believe Henson, HB, and Zeller comeback next year. I think UNC will make a huge run for a NC in 2012.

SupaDave
09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Cool answer. I can see that. I think you will have his older brother. You guys will have a rebuilding year again if Henson and HB leave, but I can see where the Zellers would at least give you a positional lineup that is closer to being big enough to compete with a physical team (given that they both start really bulking up now... that is a concern).

Cody is already in a good place physically. He's really advanced... He'll be ready to hit the floor when he gets on campus.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
for the record, i believe Henson, HB, and Zeller comeback next year. I think UNC will make a huge run for a NC in 2012.
They will be awfully hungry after watching their neighbors go back to back.

kong123
09-23-2010, 07:35 PM
They will be awfully hungry after watching their neighbors go back to back.

i hope it doesn't go like that, but if it does, we'll just do what we did in 93

and for the record, i will be here throughout, unless I am temporarily banned!

Gthoma2a
09-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Alright, that is one option, but I am going with, at least, Henson leaving. HB says a lot, so you never know what is for real. I think we will be going for our third title in a row then (and Kyrie may start to love college life once Kyle and Nolan are gone, so that he can be king of the campus instead of the prince... he hasn't won a title yet is the only reason he isn't ready for "king" status), so we all have multiple options for what can happen in the future.:D

DeepBlue70
09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
In all the talk about how long HB and Henson might stay I don't ever hear anyone referencing the possible NBA lockout. Seems to me that that is a decent possibility that would make his decsion for him - and not in the way most Duke fans would like. Of course, that would mean that Kyrie would be around as well.

sdotbarbee
09-23-2010, 07:57 PM

I agree with you 100%, if there is a lockout. Otherwise Henson and HB will both be gone, all the talk about HB staying around for 3 years, I think is nonsense. Money talks and if he is the #1 pick he will go and make his millions.

Indoor66
09-23-2010, 08:03 PM

I don't think Henson leaves until he gains some weight. He has a tremendous upside but he would be bounced around by guards in the NBA.

DukeBlueNV
09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
You guys think its out of the relm of possiblity that the HB fiasco could actually help us in this situation. I know it's kinda silly to try and predict a teenager's thinking process but I'm wonder if Austin could be thinking along the lines of something like:

"Man, that's messed-up what Harrison did to Coach K. I can't do that to him."

DukeBlueNV
09-23-2010, 08:08 PM

BTW if that happens UNC wont have a scholly for Austin...

SilkyJ
09-23-2010, 08:15 PM
At this point in time, which is an important caveat, the chances of HB and/or Henson and/or Zeller leaving would seem to be very similar to the chances of Kyrie, and MP1&2.

HB/Kyrie: game-changing freshman that are projected top 5-10 picks next year.

MP2 and Henson: big time upside/athletic guys who people are expected to make big jumps

MP1/Zeller: Established presences who expect to anchor the post for their teams this year

I'd say there's a very solid chance one from each team is gone after this year. But of course, a lot remains to be seen as I think everyone is expecting significant jumps from the MPs as well as Henson and Zeller, and of course HB and Kyrie have yet to play a college game.

(and of course, all this ignores a potential lockout)

Kedsy
09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Everyone's saying "if there's a lockout," but by the date underclassmen must declare for the draft, the odds are heavily in favor of nobody will know, because the declaration date will be in April and the contract probably won't be wrapped up (if it is) until June.

If it's up in the air, which it almost certainly will be, how will potential early entrants react? It could be almost everyone who's in good academic standing will return.

MarkD83
09-23-2010, 08:59 PM
BTW if that happens UNC wont have a scholly for Austin...

By my count UNC has 11 scholarship players right know and Graves and Knox will graduate and Hairston and McAdoo are the only recruits, so UNC has 2 scholarships available if everyone returns. I may be missing something however.

G man
09-23-2010, 09:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/34561/recruiting-with-reggie-rankin

Very last question he gives his opinion on where he thinks rivers is going to go.

09-23-2010, 09:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/34561/recruiting-with-reggie-rankin

Very last question he gives his opinion on where he thinks rivers is going to go.

The way he says it; it sounds like he thinks Duke has a great shot at AR, and Quincy and a good shot at Cook. From what ive seen on the premium sites though they say Duke has lost a little interest in Quincy and are heavy on AR and Cook. And in general i thought Cook was a Duke lean anyway. Anyone else heard anything about QM cause we havnt discussed him much in the thread (at least compared to Cook and AR).

ACCBBallFan
09-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Though on the surface this has nothing to do with AR recruitment, it really does. If Cody goes elsewhere to Indiana or Butler before AR makes his decision, UNC is even thinner in front court than this year losing Knox and Graves for sure, and probably Barnes, possibly Henson and/or TZ.

"No one" is an overstatement though, UNC will have James McAdoo.

Gthoma2a
09-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, but we are likely to have at least two starters from a national championship team coming back and most of the bench of one returning. In case anyone can't read between the lines here, I am saying we will get that title this year and pull even with the University of Not in Contention... Chapel Hill. Not to mention the possibility (no matter how unlikely) that he can either play with Kyrie or be the man to play in Nolan's spot. He can't take his place no matter how well he plays because nobody is quite the mouthpiece that Nolan is. Both are genuinely likeable, but Nolan has that boisterous and "interesting" way about him. Plus, he can sing... not well, but he can do it!

MChambers
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but we are likely to have at least two starters from a national championship team coming back and most of the bench of one returning. In case anyone can't read between the lines here, I am saying we will get that title this year and pull even with the University of Not in Contention... Chapel Hill. Not to mention the possibility (no matter how unlikely) that he can either play with Kyrie or be the man to play in Nolan's spot. He can't take his place no matter how well he plays because nobody is quite the mouthpiece that Nolan is. Both are genuinely likeable, but Nolan has that boisterous and "interesting" way about him. Plus, he can sing... not well, but he can do it!
No way is Duke "likely" to win the championship this year. Is Duke the most likely team to win it all? Absolutely.

dukeballboy88
09-24-2010, 09:48 AM
i honestly believe barnes will be at unc for 3 years. roy will not adjust to his team this year and force kids to play out of the norm. barnes will be forced to play the 4 and guard bigger stronger guys and look like a defensive liability. unc's guards will continue to struggle in the high paced or wild offense roy likes to run. bullock will resort to jacking long 3's and he will also struggle. barnes will be the only person to score for them and unc will go 18-12. they will win 2 games in the acc tourney and by that it will bump them to a 8thh seed in the tourney. then they will beat the 9 seed then #1 seed Michigan st. will crush them and the nba scouts will be asking, was HB over hyped? barnes will come back his sophmore year and by that time ar will have commited tto the tar heels and the same thing will happen to him. i look for both to be on unc's campus for 3 years and both stock dropping out of the top 10.

duke09hms
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
i honestly believe barnes will be at unc for 3 years. roy will not adjust to his team this year and force kids to play out of the norm. barnes will be forced to play the 4 and guard bigger stronger guys and look like a defensive liability. unc's guards will continue to struggle in the high paced or wild offense roy likes to run. bullock will resort to jacking long 3's and he will also struggle. barnes will be the only person to score for them and unc will go 18-12. they will win 2 games in the acc tourney and by that it will bump them to a 8thh seed in the tourney. then they will beat the 9 seed then #1 seed Michigan st. will crush them and the nba scouts will be asking, was HB over hyped? barnes will come back his sophmore year and by that time ar will have commited tto the tar heels and the same thing will happen to him. i look for both to be on unc's campus for 3 years and both stock dropping out of the top 10.

You've got to be kidding me. Who is this guy?!

uh_no
09-24-2010, 10:02 AM
You've got to be kidding me. Who is this guy?!

he's entitled to his opinion of what he things will go down.

Its an opinion which is reasoned....the current team makeup and likelihood of a lockout make the potential to return for at least 2 years greater......now whether I agree or not....

jimsumner
09-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Folks, Harrison Barnes is the consensus number one pick in the 2011 NBA draft. I'm about as likely to be playing for UNC in 2013 as is Harrison Barnes.

Jderf
09-24-2010, 10:16 AM
he's entitled to his opinion of what he things will go down.

Its an opinion which is reasoned....the current team makeup and likelihood of a lockout make the potential to return for at least 2 years greater......now whether I agree or not....

Reasoned? I think that's a stretch. Possible? Maybe. But there's still a huge gap between possible and plausible.

superdave
09-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Folks, Harrison Barnes is the consensus number one pick in the 2011 NBA draft. I'm about as likely to be playing for UNC in 2013 as is Harrison Barnes.

Jim
How do you think Duke will handle its players flirting with the draft next year when a lockout is likely but not yet a certainty? Will anyone petition the NCAA to be flexible on this? Undergrads will declare for the draft in April but a lockout wont happen until October or so.
Superdave

enick66
09-24-2010, 10:19 AM
If Barnes is slated to be the #1 overall pick, he will go pro. Even if there is a lockout, Nike will sign him to a $25 million contract, so he won't be hurting for cash. He should have an opportunity to be the focus of the North Carolina offense this year, where he should average over 20 points per game. Unless he gets hurt, Barnes is going pro, guaranteed.

UrinalCake
09-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I have to agree that Barnes will likely go. The last time there was an NBA lockout (2005?) there had also been a lot of talk about college guys staying rather than being unemployed, but I don't recall it actually affecting the decisions of any of the top guys. The guys who were expected to go went ahead and declared. There are a lot of potential reasons for this - endorsement money, agents telling the players that the lockout won't really happen, concerns that the following year's draft would be overcrowded, etc. - but at any rate I wouldn't count on a mass trend of players staying in college.

papa whiskey
09-24-2010, 10:41 AM

He may have been joking. At least I hope he was. That's how it came off to me.

Gthoma2a
09-24-2010, 10:49 AM
No way is Duke "likely" to win the championship this year. Is Duke the most likely team to win it all? Absolutely.

I am speaking of relatively, but the ground between us and the competition seems to have grown a bit IMO. The reason that I say this was that even before we won a championship this year, I thought next year was going to be our year. Kyrie is just so good, we have a team that can shoot, play defense, and run people out of the gym. We have guys who can do whatever needs to be done and the coach who always seems to know what needs to be done. That is why I say "likely", but the true feeling is that we are the most likely by a pretty decent distance. The tournament will always require some luck, but I have a high level of optimism for next year and plan to keep it (veterans will keep the young talent in line IMO).

JohnGalt
09-24-2010, 11:38 AM
If Barnes is slated to be the #1 overall pick, he will go pro. Even if there is a lockout, Nike will sign him to a $25 million contract, so he won't be hurting for cash. He should have an opportunity to be the focus of the North Carolina offense this year, where he should average over 20 points per game. Unless he gets hurt, Barnes is going pro, guaranteed.

THAT...is a tall order. No freshman has done that in the ACC in quite some time and only a handful (maybe 2) have done it in major college basketball over the last 10 years.

I do agree that if he's slated as Numero Uno with a fat contract from Nike waiting...he'd be foolish not to go.

MChambers
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I am speaking of relatively, but the ground between us and the competition seems to have grown a bit IMO. The reason that I say this was that even before we won a championship this year, I thought next year was going to be our year. Kyrie is just so good, we have a team that can shoot, play defense, and run people out of the gym. We have guys who can do whatever needs to be done and the coach who always seems to know what needs to be done. That is why I say "likely", but the true feeling is that we are the most likely by a pretty decent distance. The tournament will always require some luck, but I have a high level of optimism for next year and plan to keep it (veterans will keep the young talent in line IMO).
I can live with "most likely".

enick66
09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
THAT...is a tall order. No freshman has done that in the ACC in quite some time and only a handful (maybe 2) have done it in major college basketball over the last 10 years.

I do agree that if he's slated as Numero Uno with a fat contract from Nike waiting...he'd be foolish not to go.

Hansbrough averaged 19 a game as a freshman and Barnes has an opportunity to make as large an impact as Hansbrough did, except Barnes is much better than Hansbrough. I will go out on a limb and say, barring injury, Barnes will be top 5 in scoring in ACC as a Freshman.

Class of '94
09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Hansbrough averaged 19 a game as a freshman and Barnes has an opportunity to make as large an impact as Hansbrough did, except Barnes is much better than Hansbrough. I will go out on a limb and say, barring injury, Barnes will be top 5 in scoring in ACC as a Freshman.

Keep in mind that Hansbrough, as a freshman, lived at the free-throw line and got a majority of his points playing inside and getting fouled. I agree with you that HB is more talented; but I'm not ready to say his shooting and scoring ability from the perimeter is so good that he will be able to dominate and score as many points as a perimeter player the way that Hansbrough did as an inside player. Just my opinion.

sdotbarbee
09-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Keep in mind that Hansbrough, as a freshman, lived at the free-throw line and got a majority of his points playing inside and getting fouled. I agree with you that HB is more talented; but I'm not ready to say his shooting and scoring ability from the perimeter is so good that he will be able to dominate and score as many points as a perimeter player the way that Hansbrough did as an inside player. Just my opinion.

Well HB doesn't have to score 19 a game to be the #1 pick, it is the upside and the atleticism that he has that will make him that. After dominating college for 4 years hansbrough was still not a top 10 pick, simply because he is not athletic enough to be a force in the NBA. NBA is all about potential, if there was no age limit he would have been the #1 pick this year.

Azdukefan
09-24-2010, 12:11 PM

He lived at the free-throw line his entire career at Carowhina. Hasntravel would lower his shoulder and initiate the contact and still get the call. 20/game for Barnes seems like a reach but wouldn't surprise me. I actually could live with him being as good as the hype as long as the other guys are exactly who they were when I saw them in person at 82-50.

airowe
09-24-2010, 12:50 PM
So, Austin will announce his decision on one of the ESPN family of networks, most likely ESPNU. Now that we know Coach K was using Skype overseas, do you think it will go down like that?

I'm sure with a Dad like Doc he'll have Austin contact the other coaches first, but it still should be quite the spectacle!

nmduke2001
09-24-2010, 12:52 PM

I can think of two off the top of my head in Durant and Beasley. Also, Curry if you consider that major college basketball.

SilkyJ
09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
So, Austin will announce his decision on one of the ESPN family of networks, most likely ESPNU. Now that we know Coach K was using Skype overseas, do you think it will go down like that?

This sounds like breaking news! Did he just announce this or something?

Gthoma2a
09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I am pretty positive he didn't announce, but I am thinking CTC and he forgoes his other visits. That is one of the events ESPNU will already be covering, and if he has an announcement, you know that will be covered live on a night where fans from around the country will be watching to see the big programs opening nights. That would be huge IMO and the best way to say how great the other coaches and programs are, but he has found his, and he could send a stadium nuts. In person with Coach K and with the world watching, who wouldn't want to do that?

dukeballboy88
09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
well part of what i said earlier is a joke, no i dont think barnes will be at unc more than 1 year but the part where i think his unc team will struggle is not a joke. last year i won a bet and predicted unc would go 17-13 because now roy had to coach and we all see how that worked out and this year i see them being a lil better but not that much better. they wont losE to COC and teams like that but they still loose double digit games and dont call me joe lunardi but i see them being one of the last 4 in.

all this talk of system really baffles me. like roys system is better suited for a player like AR is just plain out stupid in my opinion. if i was a lights out shooter who could handle the ball, there is no better system to play in than K's. all the big men do is set screens and rebound and kick it out for me to shoot more. i dont get it! whoever this dude is for they fayobserver.com needs to be fired cause he actually said this!

While Rivers would no doubt be a highlight reel star within UNC's offensive system, another school of thought says it would be best for his long term development to spend his one year in college playing in a more defensive-minded program to aid his transition to the NBA.

NSDukeFan
09-24-2010, 01:39 PM
well part of what i said earlier is a joke, no i dont think barnes will be at unc more than 1 year but the part where i think his unc team will struggle is not a joke. last year i won a bet and predicted unc would go 17-13 because now roy had to coach and we all see how that worked out and this year i see them being a lil better but not that much better. they wont losE to COC and teams like that but they still loose double digit games and dont call me joe lunardi but i see them being one of the last 4 in.

all this talk of system really baffles me. like roys system is better suited for a player like AR is just plain out stupid in my opinion. if i was a lights out shooter who could handle the ball, there is no better system to play in than K's. all the big men do is set screens and rebound and kick it out for me to shoot more. i dont get it! whoever this dude is for they fayobserver.com needs to be fired cause he actually said this!

I agree that Duke would be a great place for Austin to play, but not for the reasons you have suggested. I would argue that the reason last year was so successful was because coach K changed the way the team played to match his personnel and not because a particular system was effective. I think and hope you will see our big men doing a lot more than set screens and rebound to kick out for shooters this year. I still expect Duke to shoot a lot of three pointers as the team has many great shooters from that range, but I expect that will be off more penetration and fast breaks than kick outs from rebounders.
I am also not sure that writers necessarily need to be fired for saying something you disagree with.

oldnavy
09-24-2010, 01:54 PM

I doubt that HB will be the impact player that TH was for one simple reason - heart. TH was one of, if not the most driven kids to play in the ACC that I can remember. HB will be more athletic than TH, but I doubt he will have the heart or the drive... at least I hope he won't! :)

JohnGalt
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I can think of two off the top of my head in Durant and Beasley. Also, Curry if you consider that major college basketball.

I suppose that is a little vague. I meant maybe 2 handfuls...not two total.

nmduke2001
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I suppose that is a little vague. I meant maybe 2 handfuls...not two total.

No prob. You were actually really close. I did a bit of research and in addition to Durant and Beasley, I could only find 4 others from "major basketball" conferences.
Eric Gordon did it for Indiana
Wagner did it for Memphis
Carmello Anthony did it for the 'Cuse
and almost Blue Devil Kris Humphries did it for Minnesota

About 10 others did it for smaller schools including our own Seth Curry for Liberty.

jimsumner
09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
FWIW, the only freshmen I could find who averaged at least 20 ppg for ACC teams were Mark Price in 1983 and Kenny Anderson in 1990.

So, it can be done. But it's pretty rare.

JohnGalt
09-24-2010, 04:17 PM
No prob. You were actually really close. I did a bit of research and in addition to Durant and Beasley, I could only find 4 others from "major basketball" conferences.
Eric Gordon did it for Indiana
Wagner did it for Memphis
Carmello Anthony did it for the 'Cuse
and almost Blue Devil Kris Humphries did it for Minnesota

About 10 others did it for smaller schools including our own Seth Curry for Liberty.

I thought OJ Mayo did too...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622546/oj-mayo

Although I'm not sure if that one really counts since...well...nervermind.

SilkyJ
09-24-2010, 04:28 PM
from JayJayESPNDime, via airowe's twitter:

I asked M. Kabongo where he thought A. Rivers would end up, here's what he said: "Duke! I would love to play with him!" ... (Me: "You would, would you...") MK: "That's a great program w great tradition and Coach K is great. Austin will do great there and polish his game. I would love to play w him just like he'd love to play w me!" ... OK have at it.

Link (http://www.twitlonger.com/show/66gfga)

DukeBlueNV
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
from JayJayESPNDime, via airowe's twitter:

Link (http://www.twitlonger.com/show/66gfga)

beat me to it... very intresting :cool:

nmduke2001
09-24-2010, 04:40 PM
I thought OJ Mayo did too...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622546/oj-mayo

Although I'm not sure if that one really counts since...well...nervermind.

You are correct. I must have missed it. I was using this site to find the information.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/points_avg?games=1&conf=&season=2007-2008&min=

Class of '94
09-24-2010, 05:23 PM
beat me to it... very intresting :cool:

Which part?? The fact that Kabongo thinks Austin is going to Duke or the fact that he said they'd love to play together and that Coach K is great.........:cool:
I know there were rumors of Kabongo decommitting from Texas; and IMO this might feed into that speculation.

DukeBlueNV
09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Which part?? The fact that Kabongo thinks Austin is going to Duke or the fact that he said they'd love to play together and that Coach K is great.........:cool:
I know there were rumors of Kabongo decommitting from Texas; and IMO this might feed into that speculation.

Ummm... all of it! But I doubt Kabongo decomits at this point, if he wanted a chance to be recruited by us what has he been waiting for?

Jordan just tweeted this follow-up

JayJayESPNDime Still 150% to Tex is what he tells me. RT @dukeskins @JayJayESPNDime Is M.Kabongo open to Duke or still a a Texas verbal...

09-24-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2010/08/chillin-with-kyrie-irving/

Sorry if this link has been posted previously but i dont recall seing it anywhere.
Irving said if Duke gets AR then he may reconsider being one and done. A reach i know but it still makes me almost drool at the thought of KI, AR, Gbinije, MP1, MP2 starting or a 3 guard line up with Curry starting instead of Gbinije

Starter
09-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I realize things change, but when I went to St. Pat's games, everyone involved with the school said Krzyzewski presented it as two years for Kyrie in Durham. And honestly, from talking to him, he just didn't seem like a one-and-done kid to me. He's real close to his father and sister, a fun-loving guy -- very reminiscent of J-Will in so many ways. I wouldn't be stunned to see him stick around for a second year to soak up the atmosphere, hopefully play with a good friend in Rivers in an absolutely loaded backcourt, and take aim at a national title.

Kedsy
09-25-2010, 01:13 PM
A reach i know but it still makes me almost drool at the thought of KI, AR, Gbinije, MP1, MP2 starting or a 3 guard line up with Curry starting instead of Gbinije

While I agree that lineup would be a really good one, it probably isn't as good as the lineup we have this season. Do you drool often?

ChicagoCrazy84
09-25-2010, 01:20 PM
While I agree that lineup would be a really good one, it probably isn't as good as the lineup we have this season. Do you drool often?

Agreed. Im sure AR will be incredible in both college and the NBA, but come on, who wouldnt take Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler over AR and Gbinije? Id take them over AR and Gilchrist!

airowe
09-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Yep, sorry about that. You were certainly not the intended target.

I wouldn't worry too much about where we stand with Austin. Watzone said it best recently on this board. Check BlueDevilsReign's Twitter, listen to everyone you trust. I'm sure you'll hear some garbage from IC after next weekend's official to unc as well. Just be patient...

ACCBBallFan
09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/sep/22/no-1-hoops-prep-class-2011-will-visit-ku/

Rivers latest is that he wants to wait to see if Barnes and Irving are one and done. So he will not (this week) be deciding in the Fall.

That helps UNC and KU who are playing catch up.

Of course Austin seeing Duke actually playing up tempo again helps Duke too.

Kedsy
09-25-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/sep/22/no-1-hoops-prep-class-2011-will-visit-ku/

Rivers latest is that he wants to wait to see if Barnes and Irving are one and done. So he will not (this week) be deciding in the Fall.

If he sticks with that timeframe, this thread could top the 10,000 post mark. The Board may explode.

airowe
09-25-2010, 03:13 PM

That's old news. They recycled those quotes from the DimeMag article. I expect a decision before his HS team starts practicing November 1st.

Lord Ash
09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Really, Air? He said before that he wouldn't decide this fall, but since that quote said that he would indeed decide before his season began?

airowe
09-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Really, Air? He said before that he wouldn't decide this fall, but since that quote said that he would indeed decide before his season began?

Yes, he said that he would decide before his season began more recently than that interview.

MisterRoddy
09-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Yes, he said that he would decide before his season began more recently than that interview.

The two-week time frame from Oct. 15 - Oct. 29 could be a big time for our 2011 class.

Lord Ash
09-25-2010, 03:39 PM

Phew. Thank you, sir, for knowing a lot more about this than I do, and enabling me to continue checking this thread far-too-obsessively.

On an aside, it really is pretty shoddy "journalism" that they would use an old quote like that when something else has been said more recently. I am not a fan of the "cut and paste" work that many internet sports resources use.

09-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Agreed. Im sure AR will be incredible in both college and the NBA, but come on, who wouldnt take Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler over AR and Gbinije? Id take them over AR and Gilchrist!

O yea i def agree that id rather have them over AR and Gbinije but the potential for these guys is soo high especially AR but that would be one super atheltic team

09-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Yea it was actually very old like over a month i think. he has changed his mine several times since from "Ill decide b4 my season begins" and "Ill decide after the visits"

DukeBlueNV
09-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Rivers tweet:

AustinRivers25 "Where shall I go where shall I go?! Haha tbd "

Looking for a little attention maybe? :p Go ahead buddy... as long as you pick Duke in the end!

09-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Rivers tweet:

AustinRivers25 "Where shall I go where shall I go?! Haha tbd "

Looking for a little attention maybe? :p Go ahead buddy... as long as you pick Duke in the end!

Ok i have a theory that AR has had his mind made up on where he wants to go now for some time and is just dragging it out for the attention. I dont look down upon him for it though cause i would do the same thing. It gets your name out more, and its just free publicity and besides everyone likes recognition for being great. And i would want all those free visits to big time schools as well.

superdave
09-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Ok i have a theory that AR has had his mind made up on where he wants to go now for some time and is just dragging it out for the attention. I dont look down upon him for it though cause i would do the same thing. It gets your name out more, and its just free publicity and besides everyone likes recognition for being great. And i would want all those free visits to big time schools as well.

I would think that a more likely scenario is that he knows his decision but wants both the certainty and experience of going through the whole recruiting process, especially after the early UF commitment.

MarkD83
09-26-2010, 08:47 AM
I would think that a more likely scenario is that he knows his decision but wants both the certainty and experience of going through the whole recruiting process, especially after the early UF commitment.

I would agree with this theory and would add that Doc Rivers may be encouraging Austin's actions. Doc's first son committed to one place was unhappy and transfered. As a father of soon to be college students, I know that my children have an eye on going to one school. However, I am obliged to make sure they visit other schools to reinforce that they are making a good decision and when times are difficult in college to insure that they have no regrets about their decision.

The character revealing part of this process is how you announce your decision to the schools you do not plan to attend.

kong123
09-26-2010, 08:59 AM
If AR commits to anywhere other than Duke, you will look back at stuff like this tweet and talk about how selfish and immature he was for doing it. The response will be very similar to the response HB received after he committed to UNC. Not saying that AR will not commit to Duke, I believe he will, but this is a kid being a kid and I doubt his father has anything to do with it. It isn't that well thought out.

DevilHorns
09-26-2010, 09:29 AM
If AR commits to anywhere other than Duke, you will look back at stuff like this tweet and talk about how selfish and immature he was for doing it. The response will be very similar to the response HB received after he committed to UNC. Not saying that AR will not commit to Duke, I believe he will, but this is a kid being a kid and I doubt his father has anything to do with it. It isn't that well thought out.

If AR picks Duke, and does it in a melodramatic fashion where he stages a skyping session with Coach K (without telling Coach Williams or Self that he has decided on Duke so everyone besides Coach K is in the dark), I will be just as disappointed in him as I was with HB.

Just like HB, he's getting an incredible amount of attention being the top highschool basketball player in the nation for his class. We're not expecting him to be Mother Theresa out there in regards to humility. However, I think its fair for a fan-base to expect that he be respectful when he can in this process. To me, that means letting all the coaches know his decision before any staged public event and thanking them for the recruiting process. Not completing ignoring years of a recruiting process and never speaking to them again.

dukejim1
09-26-2010, 10:49 AM
For the poster who predicted page 151 as the projected date, then we should have some news today.

Indoor66
09-26-2010, 11:28 AM
For the poster who predicted page 151 as the projected date, then we should have some news today.

On my computer it is page 76.

DevilHorns
09-26-2010, 11:33 AM

That was me, and uh, I take it all back. :p Too much news with all the in-house visits, this thread will be buzzing for a while.

New prediction? Page 196.

BD80
09-26-2010, 07:46 PM
That was me, and uh, I take it all back. :p Too much news with all the in-house visits, this thread will be buzzing for a while.

New prediction? Page 196.

So, by the end of the week? Awesome!

flyingdutchdevil
09-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Sadly, I completely agree with you. I think HB is a little pompous, "I think I'm more mature than anyone in college basketball"-thinking SoB, and 90% of this belief is due to the fact that he a) didn't commit to Duke despite his initial interest and b) the fact that he went to UNC. The other 10% is his Skype stunt and his general attitude.

If AR went to UNC, I would probably have a similar disdain towards him, and I'm man enough to admit that. However, unlike the HB situation, I really think AR isn't going to UNC. I don't think he's going to Duke (HB taught me never to think positive about a recruit again), but I am very sure that he isn't going to UNC. The amount of 1 and 2 guards there next year is off the charts (significantly worse than Duke).

kong123
09-26-2010, 08:14 PM
you are right, but depending on who leaves next spring- AR may choose to go to a school where he can win it all in his first year. who knows if one of your Plumlee's leaves or if KI decides to go? Maybe Zeller, Henson, and HB leave? having said that, he claims that he will make his decision before HS practice starts so this may not be an issue.

I agree he will fit in better at Duke, but there will still be competition for the 2 spot when he gets there. He does have Dawkins and Curry waiting on the bench and a couple of guys better suited to play the 3 spot. Wherever he goes, if he is as good as advertised, room will be made for him.

chrisheery
09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I agree that, although I do not have 100% confidence that Austin Rivers will go to Duke, I am much more confident that he will not choose UNC. Multiple sights are reporting that UNC did nothing to improve its position with its in home visit. A few have gone as far as to say that UNC is a distant third to Duke and Kansas.

All of this information came from recruiting experts via twitter.

09-26-2010, 08:23 PM
you are right, but depending on who leaves next spring- AR may choose to go to a school where he can win it all in his first year. who knows if one of your Plumlee's leaves or if KI decides to go? Maybe Zeller, Henson, and HB leave? having said that, he claims that he will make his decision before HS practice starts so this may not be an issue.

I agree he will fit in better at Duke, but there will still be competition for the 2 spot when he gets there. He does have Dawkins and Curry waiting on the bench and a couple of guys better suited to play the 3 spot. Wherever he goes, if he is as good as advertised, room will be made for him.

Well Dawkins would be the only one at the 2 spot cause Curry is a pg and so is Thornton. And Dawkins is almost big enough to play the 3 in most games granted that would be a small lineup.