PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

uh_no
07-16-2010, 11:59 PM
great tag

left_hook_lacey
07-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Does anyone else see the irony in this post?

TO much irony for this SIGHT.

Just want him to have something to read when he wakes up tomorrow.:)

jimsumner
07-17-2010, 09:49 AM
DBR majors in irony, with a minor in delicious.

SilkyJ
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
DBR majors in irony, with a minor in delicious.

*golf clap*

roywhite
07-17-2010, 09:01 PM
video of Austin scoring 35 at Peach Jam (http://hoopsrecruits.blogs.tidesports.com/10369/peach-jam-day-4-wrapup/)

Very impressive.

chrishoke
07-17-2010, 09:59 PM
video of Austin scoring 35 at Peach Jam (http://hoopsrecruits.blogs.tidesports.com/10369/peach-jam-day-4-wrapup/)

Very impressive.

Wow - great shooter.

MisterRoddy
07-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Here is an edition of Meyer's Mailbag that has a couple of questions and answers about a few of our recruits, most notably, Rivers.

A Very Encouraging Take on River's Recruitment (http://georgiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1103758)

Faison1
07-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Here is an edition of Meyer's Mailbag that has a couple of questions and answers about a few of our recruits, most notably, Rivers.

A Very Encouraging Take on River's Recruitment (http://georgiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1103758)

I definitely feel better now. Thanks for the link......

wilko
07-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I definitely feel better now. Thanks for the link......

Its nice to hear, but really its kinda meaningless. No disrespect to the Author or anything.

I mean we've had guys that didnt show, we've had recruits that have had last minute changes of heart, we've had guys transfer, we've had guys go pro early... all of this has left me some what jaded.

I mean with this whole de-commit thing, you aint got the guys you think you got, afterall.

Just dont count on anything till they suit up and take the court is all im saying. Expect the worst, then the surprises are sweeter.

Jderf
07-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Its nice to hear, but really its kinda meaningless. No disrespect to the Author or anything.

I mean we've had guys that didnt show, we've had recruits that have had last minute changes of heart, we've had guys transfer, we've had guys go pro early... all of this has left me some what jaded.

I mean with this whole de-commit thing, you aint got the guys you think you got, afterall.

Just dont count on anything till they suit up and take the court is all im saying. Expect the worst, then the surprises are sweeter.

I don't think jaded is the right word. Before a recruit makes his verbal commitment, all projections of where he will end up are, as you say, meaningless. Nobody knows where a recruit will end up - not any reporter and not even the recruit himself. Even after signing an LOI, it's not a 100% lock. I don't care what insider info anyone has, I don't care if the recruit even told me in person where he was going, anybody who claims they "know" where a recruit will commit is vastly overestimating the quality and reliability of their information. You're not being jaded, just sensible.

budwom
07-18-2010, 01:30 PM
So very true. Yes, there are great insiders with great info, but just because the staff hears something ultra positive now doesn't mean that there won't be a change. So many people on the various boards have a religious fervor concerning what the sources say. "Mr. X says Austin is ours!".....so it must be true now and forever more.

Kids can change their minds, and stuff happens, so we'll just have to remain cautiously optimistic about Mr. Rivers final destination.

MisterRoddy
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
In addition to tomorrow at 7pm, you can also see a replay of Austin Rivers in the City of Palms Classic at 6am tomorrow. Set your DVRs folks.

Osiagledknarf
07-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Coach Collins and Nate James will be in attendance tonight via Twitter:

Nate James and Coach Collins in attendance @AustinRivers25's game this AM. Think they'll be there tonight for the 7 PM Showdown w/ Gbinije?

NSDukeFan
07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Coach Collins and Nate James will be in attendance tonight via Twitter:

I don't know the labels for twitterees, tweets, twits, or twitteroos, but if you are going to quote them, you should probably acknowledge who you are quoting as opposed to saying Twitter. That would be kind of like quoting someone and assigning credit to books, or the internet, wouldn't it?:)
Edit: I guess I should have actually thanked you for the information first. So sorry about that. Thanks for posting and keeping me (and I'm sure others) up to date.

tommy
07-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Zagsblog has a story up on Austin's team winning the finals of the most recent tournament, in Orlando I think, and he states that he is considering 5 schools, not just the 3 everyone seems to have been assuming he had narrowed down to. Now he also includes Kentucky and Kansas, along with Duke, UNC, and UF. Quote is “Those are five schools I’m really interested in looking at.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/27/rivers-beal-invited-to-elite-24-event/#more-37372

MisterRoddy
07-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Zagsblog has a story up on Austin's team winning the finals of the most recent tournament, in Orlando I think, and he states that he is considering 5 schools, not just the 3 everyone seems to have been assuming he had narrowed down to. Now he also includes Kentucky and Kansas, along with Duke, UNC, and UF. Quote is “Those are five schools I’m really interested in looking at.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/27/rivers-beal-invited-to-elite-24-event/#more-37372

This really isn't big news. He has already stated that Duke, UNC, and Florida are the schools he is really considering with Kansas and UK being schools he would let recruit him.

Nothing new.

Bluedevil114
07-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Roy had his staff at the championship game. I know Collins and Nate James were at his previous games but when they skimmed the crowd I did not see Duke staff at the championship game. I did not watch the entire game but was Duke at this game? Donavan was there also but some of that is because of Bradley Beal. I am sure he still does not feel that confident in that verbal.

jimrowe0
07-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Roy had his staff at the championship game. I know Collins and Nate James were at his previous games but when they skimmed the crowd I did not see Duke staff at the championship game. I did not watch the entire game but was Duke at this game? Donavan was there also but some of that is because of Bradley Beal. I am sure he still does not feel that confident in that verbal.

I'm pretty sure that I saw Collins sitting by Grant Hill.

moonpie23
07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I think Roy was sitting with some kansas friends....

CharlestonDevil
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I think Roy was sitting with some kansas friends....

He was also sitting beside Grant Hill (wearing a Duke polo). You can really tell that Duke is putting the full court press on Rivers, and I like it. In the past 2 days K, International Nate, Collins, Grant Hill, and Redick were all there to watch Rivers play.

And specifically having JJ there I thinnk was a great move. Could you have a better example of Coach K giving a big time scoring/shooting guard free reign in the Duke offense?

Class of '94
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
He was also sitting beside Grant Hill (wearing a Duke polo). You can really tell that Duke is putting the full court press on Rivers, and I like it. In the past 2 days K, International Nate, Collins, Grant Hill, and Redick were all there to watch Rivers play.

Hold up.....Is the "He" you're referring to Collins or Roy? If it was Roy, that would have ben an interesting sight to see.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes, I also noticed the shot of Collins and GHill last night and thought to myself how impressive it would be to have Grant Hill recruiting you in a Duke polo.

I liked that Austin's little brother got some garbage minutes at the end, he's a rising freshman?

uh_no
07-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Yes, I also noticed the shot of Collins and GHill last night and thought to myself how impressive it would be to have Grant Hill recruiting you in a Duke polo.

Probably not as cool as having michael jordan recruit you...a la HB

CharlestonDevil
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
No it was definitely Roy siiting next to Grant. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Although I don't think Grant sat there the whole time.

Billy Dat
07-28-2010, 12:20 PM
No it was definitely Roy siiting next to Grant. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Although I don't think Grant sat there the whole time.

He was saying, "That was one amazing catch and dunk you threw down on my squad the first Monday in April, 1991".

In all seriousness, I don't think this is so shocking. It has often been written that the rivalry is more about the fans then anyone else. While the coaches and players can get crazy in the heat of the moment (e.g. Heyman punching McGuire in the joint, Andre Dawkins vs DOH!), I think they are friendly to each other most of the time.

pfrduke
07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
He was saying, "That was one amazing catch and dunk you threw down on my squad the first Monday in April, 1991".

In all seriousness, I don't think this is so shocking. It has often been written that the rivalry is more about the fans then anyone else. While the coaches and players can get crazy in the heat of the moment (e.g. Heyman punching McGuire in the joint, Andre Dawkins vs DOH!), I think they are friendly to each other most of the time.

I think you mean Buckner. And that was awesome! ;)

Big Pappa
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Huge alley-oop dunk from AR on Sportscenter's Top 10 this morning. I think it was number 3.

roywhite
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM

I liked that Austin's little brother got some garbage minutes at the end, he's a rising freshman?

Yeah, introduced him as a rising freshman, a 5'8" PG.

Looks a lot like Austin. Interesting to see how he grows and develops.

Devilsfan
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Someone earlier said they saw ol'roy sitting with some ku friends. Was that him wearing the Jay Hawk Tee in the background on sports center?

G man
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM

You know I might agree with that, but I remember when the Magic were playing the Bobcats in the playoffs and J.J. air balled a three. The camera happened to shift to ol Roy he was smiling and motioning to Jordan who was also smiling. Then the crowd went crazy do to the air ball. So I am not sure that there is not some healthy animosity toward each other.

Duke4life92
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
No it was definitely Roy siiting next to Grant. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Although I don't think Grant sat there the whole time

Yep they showed grant before the game or maybe real ealry in the game having a conversation sitting beside old roy but later in the game grant was sitting beside coach collins(wearing dark duke blue).Austin did'nt look spectacular in this game still finds a way to get his pts.Still he starts off his recruiting list when asked by saying Duke 1st(not that means a whole lot) :~)

JasonEvans
07-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Austin's dad says, we are taking it slow (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13736/austin-rivers-slows-recruitment), and implies Austin may not decide until spring.

-Jason "we'll see-- I am still betting on a fall decision" Evans

Bluedevil114
07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Does anyone think the same way I do? Rajon Rondo playing for Team USA and being coached by Coach K could really help in our recruitment of Austin Rivers. With all the positive comments from Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant and Jason Kidd about playing for Coach K, if Rondo comes back to the Celtics and has high praise for Coach K I think it can only help. Dont let us full ourselves, it is Austin's decision but he listens and respects his dad's opinions. Doc Rivers will be asking questions or Rondo and his experience. Lets hope Rondo has a great time playing for Team USA.

Go Duke!!

uh_no
07-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Does anyone think the same way I do? Rajon Rondo playing for Team USA and being coached by Coach K could really help in our recruitment of Austin Rivers. With all the positive comments from Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant and Jason Kidd about playing for Coach K, if Rondo comes back to the Celtics and has high praise for Coach K I think it can only help. Dont let us full ourselves, it is Austin's decision but he listens and respects his dad's opinions. Doc Rivers will be asking questions or Rondo and his experience. Lets hope Rondo has a great time playing for Team USA.

Go Duke!!

I think thats a stretch.....its safe to say coach K's involvement with team usa has a positive impact on recruiting, but to say that a player playing for coach K will go back to his NBA coach and ogle about coach K and to suppose that would have a huge impact on said coaches opinion of K, to such a degree that it would cause him to push his son to play for K in college......I think thats pushing it just a tad.....

Rondo might or might not enjoy playing for coach K, but I doubt doc will sit down with rajon when he gets back and say "so tell me what you think about coach K so I can know about him".....doc has been around players who know or were coached by K for long enough that if he doesn't already know how coach K runs his program.....and if he is learning any new information from rondo, then there's something wrong and duke has failed miserably in its recruitment of austin

not to mention, coach K likely has a slightly different approach with the national team than with Duke, and just becuase he does one thing one way there does not necessarily fully correlate to Duke.

There have been enough people around team usa for the past 5 years, that I'm sure all the NBA coaches know what goes on, and whether the players enjoy it or not, and I doubt rajon would provide any new info...

so to recap: coach K coaching team usa is a likely a + for any particular recruit, but to suppose a case so specific as the one you detailed has any magnanimous impact is folly

Doc to AR: rajon had a good time playing this summer
ARL: oh....good to know......lemme go on in the recruitment process just like i was before.....

PADukeMom
07-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I am happy to hear that Austin & his family decided to slow down the recruitment department.
I would be thrilled if he does eventually decide on coming to play for Duke. If he goes somewhere else I will wish him well unless he has to play against us & then I will hope he doesn't get a clean look at one single basket.
With that said, this is beginning to become a bit "Lebronesque" for me so I am officially done with all this speculation.

SilkyJ
07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I think thats a stretch.....its safe to say coach K's involvement with team usa has a positive impact on recruiting, but to say that a player playing for coach K will go back to his NBA coach and ogle about coach K and to suppose that would have a huge impact on said coaches opinion of K, to such a degree that it would cause him to push his son to play for K in college......I think thats pushing it just a tad.....

Rondo might or might not enjoy playing for coach K, but I doubt doc will sit down with rajon when he gets back and say "so tell me what you think about coach K so I can know about him".....doc has been around players who know or were coached by K for long enough that if he doesn't already know how coach K runs his program.....and if he is learning any new information from rondo, then there's something wrong and duke has failed miserably in its recruitment of austin

I don't think its likely to push him over the edge, but it could certainly help. Having a player you know and trust come back to you with positive feedback (and frankly, "positive feedback" is an understatement given the comments of we saw after 2008) can certainly help. You're right, I doubt he'll get any new information from it, but it certainly can help.

uh_no
07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't think its likely to push him over the edge, but it could certainly help. Having a player you know and trust come back to you with positive feedback (and frankly, "positive feedback" is an understatement given the comments of we saw after 2008) can certainly help. You're right, I doubt he'll get any new information from it, but it certainly can help.

meh, I disagree, for someone who is now taking their second shot at recruitment, and doing so in such a slow methodical way, I am very skeptical that any sort of outside hype is going to have a noticeable impact.....he made that mistake committing to florida after the hype of their back to back championships......and see where it got him.....committing to duke because rondo says 'i love coach k' would be the same sort of mistake.....I hope austin picks duke, but I hope he does so because he believes its the place for him, not because some players so wholly unconnected to him likes coach K

Billy Dat
07-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Considering that just about any school would hold a scholly for him, it seems like yet another new recruiting wrinkle, the uber-star waiting until the very last minute, when he has a good idea about who is leaving for the draft and who is staying, to pick the program where he's got the best opportunity to make a one year run for the title....or, in case there is a NBA lockout, potentially a two year run, while being the showcase piece. After watching the Decision fiasco and Harrison Barnes skype charade, maybe we're entering the era of players, even high school players, controlling the process more than ever. Maybe being friends with Kyrie Irving doesn't help...maybe it actually hurts because Rivers will want to be the top top dog wherever he goes.

uh_no
07-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Maybe being friends with Kyrie Irving doesn't help...maybe it actually hurts because Rivers will want to be the top top dog wherever he goes.

there's a good chance they wouldn't play together even if austin did come here....hate to say it

SilkyJ
07-31-2010, 07:01 PM
meh, I disagree, for someone who is now taking their second shot at recruitment, and doing so in such a slow methodical way, I am very skeptical that any sort of outside hype is going to have a noticeable impact.....he made that mistake committing to florida after the hype of their back to back championships......and see where it got him.....committing to duke because rondo says 'i love coach k' would be the same sort of mistake.....I hope austin picks duke, but I hope he does so because he believes its the place for him, not because some players so wholly unconnected to him likes coach K

this seems like a silly disagreement b/c we're splitting hairs, but oh well its the off-season.

"committing to duke because rondo says 'i love coach k' would be the same sort of mistake"

I agree, and I didn't say he would commit because of Rondo. Heck I even said it probably wouldn't push him over the edge, but Rondo giving positive feedback could certainly help, and I don't see how you can disagree with that. The impact may be minimal, but its another data point for him in his thorough evaluation. When he sits down and lists the Pros and Cons for each school (as I'm sure many folks around here did when picking a school) the fact that players his father knows and respects, particular the floor general for his current team, give Duke positive feedback is likely to be a bullet in the Pros column for Duke.

"not because some players so wholly unconnected to him likes coach K"

Rondo is the PG for his father's team and has been for 3 or 4 years now. I wouldn't say he's "wholly unconnected" to Austin.

sagegrouse
07-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Rondo is the PG for his father's team and has been for 3 or 4 years now. I wouldn't say he's "wholly unconnected" to Austin.

No, he's not "wholly unconnected," but it's a three-rail shot. ;) Rondo says to Doc that K is good guy; Doc passes it along to Austin; Austin takes it in and agrees. Howsomever, I expect Doc knows everything he needs to know about Coach K. And also that Austin knows K about as well as the two of them and will make his own durn decision.

sagegrouse

basket1544
07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
I haven't read all the many pages of this thread, but I am enjoying watching Austin right now on ESPNU. He has a great game, but it is hard to see how good he is versus how bad his competition is. I really hope he doesn't go to UNC because I like watching him play.

Cockabeau
07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
I personally could care less what Rajon Rondo thinks of K.Austin is interested in Duke because he fits in. its just that simple

WiJoe
07-31-2010, 09:15 PM
... this is beginning to become a bit "Lebronesque" for me so I am officially done with all this speculation.

I think you've smashed the nail on the head with your "Lebronesque" assessment.

Well done. Wish this was over. Getting Princess Harryish to me.

:cool:

Bluedevil114
08-01-2010, 10:03 AM
this seems like a silly disagreement b/c we're splitting hairs, but oh well its the off-season.

"committing to duke because rondo says 'i love coach k' would be the same sort of mistake"

I agree, and I didn't say he would commit because of Rondo. Heck I even said it probably wouldn't push him over the edge, but Rondo giving positive feedback could certainly help, and I don't see how you can disagree with that. The impact may be minimal, but its another data point for him in his thorough evaluation. When he sits down and lists the Pros and Cons for each school (as I'm sure many folks around here did when picking a school) the fact that players his father knows and respects, particular the floor general for his current team, give Duke positive feedback is likely to be a bullet in the Pros column for Duke.

"not because some players so wholly unconnected to him likes coach K"

I agree 100%. We have seen numerous articles written that state Doc Rivers speaking to Grant Hill, Shelden Williams and Elton Brand about their experience playing for Coach K and at Duke. Why would Doc Rivers not sit down and speak to Rondo about his experience with Coach K. As stated earlier, yes the USA team is totally different in how it will be ran but so will our Duke team next year with Kyrie at the point. Coach K constantly changes the way the Duke team plays year after year. I mean we are not the Tarheels and know only one way to play.

I think it can only help if Rondo comes back to Boston with a positive experience from Team USA but that is just my opinion.

m g
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
to me, the only possible impact of Rondo's experience on Rivers' recruitment is if he comes back with something negative to say that strikes Doc and Austin as applicable. there's no doubt that Doc and Rondo will discuss the USA basketball experience, and it doesn't seem like it's dawned on any posters that maybe not every player comes away in love with every aspect of K's style

that said, all of the K -> Rondo -> Doc -> Austin stuff is quite speculative and unlikely to matter in any way. but as long as it's being discussed, let's not let our loyalties blind us

silverbax
08-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Comparisons to Austin and Lebron, at least in the way they are handling the 'where are they going' question, are accurate.

El_Diablo
08-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Comparisons to Austin and LeBron, at least in the way they are handling the 'where are they going' question, are accurate.

Okay, I honestly don't understand where this sentiment is coming from, but I'll respond to you since you were the last to voice it. If you mean it's an accurate comparison because they're both trying to be thorough in thinking through the biggest decisions of their lives as of yet, then I guess you're right. But it's that way for many recruits, only Austin has been more transparent in sharing his thoughts than most others--including LeBron in the run-up to his decision.

Given the general level of unwarranted vitriol regarding LeBron's free agency, I can only assume you do not approve of Austin's deliberation. But you realize that Austin hasn't even started his senior year, right? We were still months away from Irving's commitment at this point last year. Chillax! This isn't abnormal in the slightest. I'm not sure why you'd want to start painting recruits in a negative light simply because you wanted the decision earlier in the process, like when UNC has gotten their commitments lately. Come to think of it...with your "Duke and UNC are better than the rest of college basketball" comments (again this morning) in the UNC thread, and now coming across as a somewhat bitter fan in the Rivers thread, it's sounding like you have some sort of not-too-hidden-agenda posting here. Are you another one of those secret UNC fans pretending to be Duke fans so as to post here? :D

If you're simply an impatient Duke fan, please refrain from taking out your frustration by impugning the recruit here (even slightly). I'm directing this comment at others too, since I realize you were not the only one to make the comparison. He's not LeBron. He's not Prince Harry. Let him at least take some official visits before you get bent out of shape and start suggesting that he's dragging his feet.

Duvall
08-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Comparisons to Austin and Lebron, at least in the way they are handling the 'where are they going' question, are accurate.

Er, how? Unless you're assuming that Rivers is going to reject his home state to join a team stacked with talent in order to win a quick championship, there really isn't much of a comparison.

uh_no
08-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Er, how? Unless you're assuming that Rivers is going to reject his home state to join a team stacked with talent in order to win a quick championship, there really isn't much of a comparison.

not to mention lebron knew where he was going all along......

airowe
08-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Okay, I honestly don't understand where this sentiment is coming from, but I'll respond to you since you were the last to voice it. If you mean it's an accurate comparison because they're both trying to be thorough in thinking through the biggest decisions of their lives as of yet, then I guess you're right. But it's that way for many recruits, only Austin has been more transparent in sharing his thoughts than most others--including LeBron in the run-up to his decision.

Given the general level of unwarranted vitriol regarding LeBron's free agency, I can only assume you do not approve of Austin's deliberation. But you realize that Austin hasn't even started his senior year, right? We were still months away from Irving's commitment at this point last year. Chillax! This isn't abnormal in the slightest. I'm not sure why you'd want to start painting recruits in a negative light simply because you wanted the decision earlier in the process, like when UNC has gotten their commitments lately. Come to think of it...with your "Duke and UNC are better than the rest of college basketball" comments (again this morning) in the UNC thread, and now coming across as a somewhat bitter fan in the Rivers thread, it's sounding like you have some sort of not-too-hidden-agenda posting here. Are you another one of those secret UNC fans pretending to be Duke fans so as to post here? :D

If you're simply an impatient Duke fan, please refrain from taking out your frustration by impugning the recruit here (even slightly). I'm directing this comment at others too, since I realize you were not the only one to make the comparison. He's not LeBron. He's not Prince Harry. Let him at least take some official visits before you get bent out of shape and start suggesting that he's dragging his feet.

Silverbax is a carolina fan, but a reasonable one for all I can tell. Austin Rivers does say some things that turn out to change, but his decision does not strike me as similar at all to Barnes' or Lebron's. If anything, its exactly the opposite as he has been almost too open about his plans. Just those plans have changed, or so he says. There is still the possibility of a Fall decision, and based on his past, I wouldn't be surprised if his timeline changed again for a second time.

I did learn from the Barnes decision not to get too caught up in a recruitment, as I know we'll be just fine with whatever guys we get to come to Duke. I want Rivers here for sure, but it's not going to make or break Duke Basketball so I'll just sit back and enjoy who we do have.

sagegrouse
08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Austin Rivers does say some things that turn out to change, but his decision does not strike me as similar at all to Barnes' or Lebron's. If anything, its exactly the opposite as he has been almost too open about his plans. Just those plans have changed, or so he says. There is still the possibility of a Fall decision, and based on his past, I wouldn't be surprised if his timeline changed again for a second time.

If a highly recruited HS player treated his college commitment as a "business decision," I can't see why he would make a commitment and sign before the spring of his senior year. That would occur after the early departure decisions had been made, and he knew who his teammates and coaches would be.

This happens only infrequently, I guess, because the player (a) becomes certain of his choice or (b) gets tired of the recruiting hoopla. Probably the latter.

sagegrouse

ACCBBallFan
08-02-2010, 08:36 AM
If a highly recruited HS player treated his college commitment as a "business decision," I can't see why he would make a commitment and sign before the spring of his senior year. That would occur after the early departure decisions had been made, and he knew who his teammates and coaches would be.

This happens only infrequently, I guess, because the player (a) becomes certain of his choice or (b) gets tired of the recruiting hoopla. Probably the latter.

sagegrouseYou are correct but that option is limited to top 5 guys where they are so good like Brandon Knight or Austin Rivers that each interested coach will keep a roster spot open in the off chance they land him.

So not a trend every ranked player can afford to exercise, until it becomes a rule, or coaches will just revert to plan B who will commit before then.

El_Diablo
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Silverbax is a carolina fan, but a reasonable one for all I can tell.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I guess the Emile Zola routine wasn't really necessary then, but I'm happy to find out that my Heel Detector™ is functioning properly. Welcome to DBR, silverbax. I'm not sure why UNC fans feel the need to choose gorilla-themed user names, but at least it helps me keep track of who's who in the zoo.

I hope Austin doesn't wait until the spring, but I wouldn't really see a problem with it if he did. Just as long as he makes the right decision. :D

Big Pappa
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
(b) gets tired of the recruiting hoopla. Probably the latter.

IMO very few high school basketball players get tired of the media attention and recruiting love from the schools and fans.

MisterRoddy
08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Silverbax is a carolina fan, but a reasonable one for all I can tell. Austin Rivers does say some things that turn out to change, but his decision does not strike me as similar at all to Barnes' or Lebron's. If anything, its exactly the opposite as he has been almost too open about his plans. Just those plans have changed, or so he says. There is still the possibility of a Fall decision, and based on his past, I wouldn't be surprised if his timeline changed again for a second time.

I did learn from the Barnes decision not to get too caught up in a recruitment, as I know we'll be just fine with whatever guys we get to come to Duke. I want Rivers here for sure, but it's not going to make or break Duke Basketball so I'll just sit back and enjoy who we do have.

Don't forget his quote a while ago that went along the lines of... "If I decommit from Florida, it will be for Duke." He said it with confidence, too. Hopefully, this comes to fruition.

Also, I wish we could put an end to this Barnes talk, as far as I'm concerned
SR Singler > FR Barnes

SCMatt33
08-02-2010, 06:23 PM
The whole recruiting comparison to lebron made me think about the only college recruit who comes close to lebron status in that category, Terrance Jones. Then I started thinking about what would have happened if lebron actually pulled a Terrance Jones, picking the Cavs on TV, then changing his mind a few days later. Just think about how bad it is anyway, then multiply it by about 1000.

Since this thread is about Austin Rivers, I'd figure that I'd mention that the Colorado river, but not the famous one, is the major river that runs through Austin. I immediately apologize for that terrible, terrible pun.

roywhite
08-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, maybe this won't be such a long wait after all.

Check the title and introduction of this article from TDD (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=988586&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f988 586.html)

I don't have a premium subscription, so I don't know any more than what is linked, but it seems to be a change in the "we're taking it slow" timetable from Team Rivers.

MisterRoddy
08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Well, maybe this won't be such a long wait after all.

Check the title and introduction of this article from TDD (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=988586&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f988 586.html)

I don't have a premium subscription, so I don't know any more than what is linked, but it seems to be a change in the "we're taking it slow" timetable from Team Rivers.

From reading that article, it has to give us Duke fans a really good feeling.

IMO (and this is strictly speculation), it seems like his recruitment is a formality and that he's visiting just to visit.

Also, if anyone was worrying about Kentucky (like I was), I wouldn't worry about them all that much.

uh_no
08-03-2010, 08:02 AM
From reading that article, it has to give us Duke fans a really good feeling.

IMO (and this is strictly speculation), it seems like his recruitment is a formality and that he's visiting just to visit.

Also, if anyone was worrying about Kentucky (like I was), I wouldn't worry about them all that much.

would you care to give a summary as most of us can't actually read the article?

MisterRoddy
08-03-2010, 08:24 AM
would you care to give a summary as most of us can't actually read the article?

On the Recruiting Front:

- He plans to make his decision around October/November.

- Still plans to take all his visits to the 5 schools.

- Didn't mention Roy Williams but mentioned K a few times.

- Still plans on being OAD

- I Really don't see Kentucky being major players.

uh_no
08-03-2010, 08:26 AM
- He plans to make his decision around Late October/November.

- Still plans to take all his visits to the 5 schools.

- Didn't mention Roy Williams but mentioned K a few times.

- Still plans on being OAD

- I Really don't see Kentucky being major players.

Thanks! :) much appreciated

hopefully we'll be high off football season when we qualify for a bowl game....and this will push austin over the edge

MisterRoddy
08-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks! :) much appreciated

hopefully we'll be high off football season when we qualify for a bowl game....and this will push austin over the edge

No problem, hopefully you're right and we can lock AR up so we can focus our efforts on a replacement for KI and Bazz.

ACCBBallFan
08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Need a jargon decoder for "OAD"

DeBlueDevil
08-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Need a jargon decoder for "OAD"

One and Done

ForkFondler
08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Since this thread is about Austin Rivers, I'd figure that I'd mention that the Colorado river, but not the famous one, is the major river that runs through Austin. I immediately apologize for that terrible, terrible pun.

Actually, the Cedar river runs through Austin, MN.

SMO
08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Actually, the Cedar river runs through Austin, MN.

And they make a lot of SPAM in Austin, MN. SPAM is a 4-letter word just like Duke. He's clearly a Duke lean.

ACCBBallFan
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
One and DoneThanks

whirlieduke4
08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
IMO very few high school basketball players get tired of the media attention and recruiting love from the schools and fans.

I disagree. While that may be true for some players (certainly not most players like you say), it's a tiring process for players and their parents alike. Reason number 2 in this article skims over fatigue being a factor in recruitment.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/988338.html

PADukeMom
08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Oh dear, when I referenced Lebron, what I was trying to put forth is that there is way too much thought is being spent on what clothing this kid is wearing, tweeting or telling reporters.
I just don't want us to get too caught up in the hysteria & hoopla and instead focus on the primary goal of defending our national championship with players we DO have & not POTENTIAL players. That is all.
For the record, I don't think anyone needs anyone to speak to Doc Rivers about Duke University, the coaching staff & team. I do believe the 2010 NCAA Championship banner speaks for itself.

tommy
08-03-2010, 07:22 PM
No problem, hopefully you're right and we can lock AR up so we can focus our efforts on a replacement for KI and Bazz.

Who's "Bazz" that needs replacing?

Kedsy
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Who's "Bazz" that needs replacing?

I assume you already know this, but I believe he's referring to the rumor that Shabazz Muhammad is not as interested in Duke as we'd like him to be. As far as I know, it's just a rumor, though.

Greg_Newton
08-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I just read that as "hopefully we lock him up so we can focus our efforts on a replacement for KI and on Shabazz Muhammad"...

MisterRoddy
08-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I just read that as "hopefully we lock him up so we can focus our efforts on a replacement for KI and on Shabazz Muhammad"...

Exactly.

Kedsy
08-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Exactly.

Oh, I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your original post, too.

MisterRoddy
08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your original post, too.

It's fine, with Shabazz, I don't think he's really focusing on recruiting that much right now but I believe we are in as good of a position as any for him so I wouldn't listen to those supposed "rumors." Hopefully, a commitment from Austin this fall will allow us to give him the attention he deserves when he does decide to focus on his recruitment.

kong123
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Just reading on the IC site and it appears that UNC will no longer pursue Rivers. A credible member with solid inside sources says that he isn't 100% certain, but Roy is losing interest. Read into that what you will, but that is what I just read.

Indoor66
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Just reading on the IC site and it appears that UNC will no longer pursue Rivers. A credible member with solid inside sources says that he isn't 100% certain, but Roy is losing interest. Read into that what you will, but that is what I just read.

Is that Roy losing interest in Rivers or Rivers losing interest in Carolina? :cool:

COYS
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Is that Roy losing interest in Rivers or Rivers losing interest in Carolina? :cool:

Austin probably figures that it would be bad for his health if he went to UNC and joined the ranks of players that have been run over by the bus.

kong123
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM

thats fair, but the quote from Roy was ""The game wasn't over? I saw the first half stat sheets, looked at his (Austin's) shot numbers and thought the game had to be over."
- Roy Williams right after leaving when he reviewed the stats from the first half of Austin's game.

now some of you will say, he is the man on the team, he has to take all the shots for the team to have any chance of victory. others may say, he is a ball hog and isn't a good distributor. Either way, I decided a few months ago that I didn't want Rivers to go to UNC. We don't have room at that position and I don't think he will be any better than a 2nd year Bullock. I may not enjoy watching him play at Duke, but he will not be the first player from Duke to make me sick to my stomach and he won't be the last.

Duvall
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
thats fair, but the quote from Roy was ""The game wasn't over? I saw the first half stat sheets, looked at his (Austin's) shot numbers and thought the game had to be over."
- Roy Williams right after leaving when he reviewed the stats from the first half of Austin's game.

now some of you will say, he is the man on the team, he has to take all the shots for the team to have any chance of victory. others may say, he is a ball hog and isn't a good distributor.

Where "others" seem to consist of coaches and fans of the schools that don't feel like they have a chance of getting Rivers.

Well, at least Roy hasn't accused anyone of cheating this time.

Either way, I decided a few months ago that I didn't want Rivers to go to UNC. We don't have room at that position and I don't think he will be any better than a 2nd year Bullock.

A non sequitur, given that Bullock will almost certainly spend his sophomore as a small forward. Unless you think that Harrison Barnes is *really* interested in that Kenan-Flagler degree.

kong123
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Where "others" seem to consist of coaches and fans of the schools that don't feel like they have a chance of getting Rivers.

Well, at least Roy hasn't accused anyone of cheating this time.

A non sequitur, given that Bullock will almost certainly spend his sophomore as a small forward. Unless you think that Harrison Barnes is *really* interested in that Kenan-Flagler degree.

hey, I am sure there a plenty of UNC fans that want him because he is scorer and because he may choose to go to Duke. I am not one of those people.

Bullock will play the 2 guard while in CH and next year, if HB does follow KI to the NBA, McAdoo will be just fine at the 3.

Duvall
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
hey, I am sure there a plenty of UNC fans that want him because he is scorer and because he may choose to go to Duke. I am not one of those people.

Bullock will play the 2 guard while in CH and next year, if HB does follow KI to the NBA, McAdoo will be just fine at the 3.

So you guys are planning on not having anyone at the 4? Because Henson will also be gone to the NBA, and you won't have any other players with size. Not good players, mind you - any players period.

yancem
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM

now some of you will say, he is the man on the team, he has to take all the shots for the team to have any chance of victory. others may say, he is a ball hog and isn't a good distributor. Either way, I decided a few months ago that I didn't want Rivers to go to UNC. We don't have room at that position and I don't think he will be any better than a 2nd year Bullock. I may not enjoy watching him play at Duke, but he will not be the first player from Duke to make me sick to my stomach and he won't be the last.

We'll have to wait and see of course but I think that Rivers is going to be one of those special players that don't come along very often. His numbers might end up being spectacular if he goes to Duke because of the other scorers that will surround him (see Wall at KY last season) but if he were to choose to go to a lesser team he could go Durant on the NCAA. Now he may end up to be a ball hog but from what I have read, when he has other scorers around him he his more than willing to pass the ball.

Cockabeau
08-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I am a AR fan and I hope he comes to Duke BUT he is a bit ball dominant. I am convinced that is a good thing tho becuase the kid is superb

Bluedevil114
08-04-2010, 09:40 PM
We'll have to wait and see of course but I think that Rivers is going to be one of those special players that don't come along very often. His numbers might end up being spectacular if he goes to Duke because of the other scorers that will surround him (see Wall at KY last season) but if he were to choose to go to a lesser team he could go Durant on the NCAA. Now he may end up to be a ball hog but from what I have read, when he has other scorers around him he his more than willing to pass the ball.

He distributed the ball just fine with the U18 Team won Gold. Austin is fine. Every high school I have seen him play on he is leaps and bounds above the talent on his team. His team usually gets down and he must shoot them back into the game. I agree is will be fine if you put talent around him.

G man
08-04-2010, 10:25 PM
He distributed the ball just fine with the U18 Team won Gold. Austin is fine. Every high school I have seen him play on he is leaps and bounds above the talent on his team. His team usually gets down and he must shoot them back into the game. I agree is will be fine if you put talent around him.

Could not agree more. He is doing what his team needs him to do. That is score buckets. I think that if you have players that are his caliber than things will change. He wont be able to dominate college like he does high school. So no worries about his shot selection.

Newton_14
08-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Wow. I can't agree with your logic on this one Kong. I too think Bullock is going to be a fine player for your guys, but dude, Austin Rivers is the real deal. There is no questioning that at this point. The kid is just a phenominal talent, and in all honesty you would be better off if he were right now entering Unc@Chapel Hill instead of Bullock. He is that good.

He would start from day one if he were on your roster this year. Maybe you have just resigned yourself to believe Austin is going to be a Duke guy, which is understandable, but no matter where he ends up at, the kid can play.

airowe
08-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Austin Rivers interview via ScoutsFocus: http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/08/austin-rivers-interview-via-scouts.html

New Highlight video (takes a while to load): http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-austin-rivers-highlights-via.html

verga
08-05-2010, 12:02 AM
today i was watching a game played in Orlando i recorded last night of Austin's team playing against Brad Beal's team from St. Louis. I'm not sure Austin made a outside shot even though he scored over 20 points, Beal did not have such a good game and his team lost by 15/16. As i was getting out of my chair i started thinking about how many shots Austin took and i realized, it doesn't matter because he is that over used term "Superstar". He has a good outside shot, even though it is not of the greatest form yet he still makes his fair share. What makes Austin a "Superstar" is the fact that he can't be stopped going to the basket. He doesn't have blazing speed and is not overly quick. What he does have, in spades, is a basketball brain, the kid is a walking talking gym rat. When he's hitting that outside shot, well, you get the idea. From all i've read on this board and others, it seems Duke is in great shape with this kid, he and Kyrie playing together in the same backcourt would be a thing of beauty. I know Nolan is going to have a great year and i'm a big fan of everything he does. I hope it works out that (1) we retain Kyrie and (B) Austin decides to join us in the Bull City. There is nothing quite like watching 2 players who happen to be of one mind, it's a thing of beauty, i tell you. lol

oldnavy
08-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Typical Roy. Can't take the high road he just has to take that jab at the kid. I guess he thinks he is a funny man, but just once it would be nice to see him say something classy, like "Right now it appears that UNC and AR are on a different page. He is a talented young man and he may be better off in a system where he can better showcase his individual talents" or something along those lines. Why the need to be an smart tail all the time?? "I saw the first half stat sheets.... thought the game had to be over" What a tool, the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round , round and round.... And to answer a pervious comment from you, I will stop making these "same old" observations when Roy quits saying and doing the "same old things".

El_Diablo
08-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Typical Roy. Can't take the high road he just has to take that jab at the kid. I guess he thinks he is a funny man, but just once it would be nice to see him say something classy, like "Right now it appears that UNC and AR are on a different page. He is a talented young man and he may be better off in a system where he can better showcase his individual talents" or something along those lines. Why the need to be an smart tail all the time?? "I saw the first half stat sheets.... thought the game had to be over" What a tool, the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round , round and round.... And to answer a pervious comment from you, I will stop making these "same old" observations when Roy quits saying and doing the "same old things".

Yeah, I can't really remember a coach publicly criticizing a high school recruit like that. First, because coaches aren't supposed to comment on players with the media until they sign an LOI. Second, it poisons the well with the recruit. Third, it makes you look childish and petty.

Roy is a clown. I can't wait for him to get really senile...

uh_no
08-05-2010, 08:51 AM

Now that would be a real catastrophe......it would be a catastrophe because it's roy's life

superdave
08-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I can't really remember a coach publicly criticizing a high school recruit like that. First, because coaches aren't supposed to comment on players with the media until they sign an LOI. Second, it poisons the well with the recruit. Third, it makes you look childish and petty.

At a wedding last weekend I spoke to some old guard Unc fans - season ticket holders, Rams club, whathaveyou. The husband and the wife both said without me asking they dont like Roy. They basically said it was his foot-in-the-mouth problem. I guess this comment is yet another in a long list of comments where Roy should have just shut up.

Devilsfan
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
The alledged comments by a unc fan at a wedding is cruel and unfair. Roy doesn't mean any harm with his comments (Haiti, etc.) IMO. Roy has always been "rough around the edges". His simple thinking many times is just about him and poor ol'roy just pouts outloud. Thank goodness we have a "Leader of Men" in coach K. Think of unc and ol'roy appears think of Duke and K followed by Cut appear. Duke comes out on top again. I love the rivalry and the fadder created by the people who head up unc like doh and ol'roy.

left_hook_lacey
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM

I'm coming into this on the back end and I don't have the full article of this quote to put it in context. So maybe it's the optimist in me, or the fact I always give someone the benefit of the doubt that they mean well until they say or do otherwise. I read that quote totally different the first time I scanned it. I thought he was actually giving AR a complement by saying he put up the kind of numbers in the first half that most kids only put up in an entire game. I didn't think he was taking a stab at him for jacking up shots, but for his all-around stat sheet. It even sounds like the corny aww shucks type of compliment that he would give when he's trying to kiss-up to someone. I could be totally wrong, it has happened once before.:)

jipops
At a wedding last weekend I spoke to some old guard Unc fans - season ticket holders, Rams club, whathaveyou. The husband and the wife both said without me asking they dont like Roy. They basically said it was his foot-in-the-mouth problem. I guess this comment is yet another in a long list of comments where Roy should have just shut up.

It seems that most of those old guard UNC fans, those who were devoted during the Dean days, share a very similar sentiment. I've come across quite a few myself who share a bit of a distaste for 'Ol Roy and his actions. Dean was more guarded and when he wouldn't take the high road, he kept it a little more private - i.e. he wouldn't immediately include it in a book. I wonder if Roy didn't have 2 titles at UNC, would the heels fans still be sticking up for his recent actions?

In regards to Austin, does Roy's comment provide speculation that he's starting to throw in the towel on his recruitment? Why else would he say something like that about a kid he's pursuing? Roy has been the hardest working recruiter on the circuit these past few years. It's a surprise he would throw out this zinger. Or is the context being misread here?

uh_no
The alledged comments by a unc fan at a wedding is cruel and unfair. Roy doesn't mean any harm with his comments (Haiti, etc.) IMO. Roy has always been "rough around the edges". His simple thinking many times is just about him and poor ol'roy just pouts outloud.

Does that explain expelling opposing fans from the arena? or his general self centered view on everything? everything at UNC is about HIM...its ME ME ME with roy.....yeah he says stupid stuff.....but never ONCE did he indicate that he did anything wrong last year.....it was the fans, it was the players, it was the pollen in the air....whatever.....now maybe his comment on austin doesn't show any malice.....it probably doesn't.....but do you think he says something about austin if he had any intention to go to UNC? doubtful

roy can't stand up to the shadow of dean smith

WiJoe
08-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I guess he thinks he is a funny man, but just once it would be nice to see him say something classy ...

Roy is just like the majority of the institution's fan base. Neither smart, nor classy.

SilkyJ
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Austin Rivers interview via ScoutsFocus: http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/08/austin-rivers-interview-via-scouts.html

"Honestly I'm going to get it done before the beginning of my high school practices."

So (officially) we've gone: August time-frame, December time-frame, and now we're in the middle with a "Fall/October" time-frame (practices tend to start in November, IIRC). Chances he changes his time-frame again? Gotta be at least 25%...

In the end, its all good. I'm really looking forward to this year's team and from all accounts we are in great shape with AR regardless of when he decides. Maybe he should stop setting all these semi-arbitrary deadlines/time-frames for himself and just decide when he feels comfortable and ready.

superdave
08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Roy is just like the majority of the institution's fan base. Neither smart, nor classy.

See, this is not fair. Roy is not a bad guy by any stretch. He is un-guarded and makes verbal mistakes a lot. But I cannot impugn his character too far based on that argument, nor should I try. On top of that, we should not make blanket statements about a fanbase or we deserve them ourselves.

Back to Austin Rivers....when does his high school season start? Mid-October? Is that when we hope for a decision?

Kedsy
08-05-2010, 12:27 PM

When did the Austin Rivers thread turn into yet another bash Roy and UNC thread? To me, at least, our collective preoccupation with Roy and the ugly blue has gotten way beyond tiresome.

"Honestly I'm going to get it done before the beginning of my high school practices."

So (officially) we've gone: August time-frame, December time-frame, and now we're in the middle with a "Fall/October" time-frame (practices tend to start in November, IIRC). Chances he changes his time-frame again? Gotta be at least 25%...

You left out the part when his dad said they were leaning toward deciding in the Spring. I think you have the chances of things changing way too low, but I agree it's all good. Let the kid decide whenever he wants.

Back to Austin Rivers....when does his high school season start? Mid-October? Is that when we hope for a decision?

Someone else posted that his high school team starts practicing on November 1.

Tim1515
08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow. I can't agree with your logic on this one Kong. I too think Bullock is going to be a fine player for your guys, but dude, Austin Rivers is the real deal. There is no questioning that at this point. The kid is just a phenominal talent, and in all honesty you would be better off if he were right now entering Unc@Chapel Hill instead of Bullock. He is that good.

He would start from day one if he were on your roster this year. Maybe you have just resigned yourself to believe Austin is going to be a Duke guy, which is understandable, but no matter where he ends up at, the kid can play.

I'm not sure if everyone remembers but there were a lot of UNC fans who didn't care about landing Barnes also. He wasn't that important or good and they were hoping to land Roscoe Smith instead. Things seem to change once they land a kid.

G man
08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure if everyone remembers but there were a lot of UNC fans who didn't care about landing Barnes also. He wasn't that important or good and they were hoping to land Roscoe Smith instead. Things seem to change once they land a kid.

It's called hedging your bet. I have to admit every time I see some video of Austin I really really hope he comes to Duke and to those who hate the one and done. I cannot blame a kid when they are lottery pick for taking the money. I also could care less how much money his family has the argument is weak. It is not his money it is his folks. I hope he comes dominates and we win another title.

Turtleboy
08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Roy is a clown. I can't wait for him to get really senile...As someone who has dealt with and is dealing with senile dementia / Alzheimer's in a loved one, I find this comment to be disgusting and offensive. Shame on you.

SilkyJ
08-05-2010, 02:45 PM
You left out the part when his dad said they were leaning toward deciding in the Spring. I think you have the chances of things changing way too low, but I agree it's all good. Let the kid decide whenever he wants.

That's why I said "officially," which I intended to mean actual time-frames that he had set. But you're right, this thing seems to be so fluid maybe the chances are more like 75%.

While we both seem to be "all good" in this situation, I think you have to agree to that the sooner he decides, the better it would bode for Duke.

El_Diablo
08-05-2010, 03:23 PM
As someone who has dealt with and is dealing with senile dementia / Alzheimer's in a loved one, I find this comment to be disgusting and offensive. Shame on you.

Good point. I retract and apologize.

Kedsy
08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
While we both seem to be "all good" in this situation, I think you have to agree to that the sooner he decides, the better it would bode for Duke.

Yes, I completely agree with that, and I'm hoping he sticks with the latest declaration to decide in October. The odds would be a lot better for us. I'm just not counting on it.

oldnavy
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm coming into this on the back end and I don't have the full article of this quote to put it in context. So maybe it's the optimist in me, or the fact I always give someone the benefit of the doubt that they mean well until they say or do otherwise. I read that quote totally different the first time I scanned it. I thought he was actually giving AR a complement by saying he put up the kind of numbers in the first half that most kids only put up in an entire game. I didn't think he was taking a stab at him for jacking up shots, but for his all-around stat sheet. It even sounds like the corny aww shucks type of compliment that he would give when he's trying to kiss-up to someone. I could be totally wrong, it has happened once before.:)

I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt as well, except Roy has LONG since lost that benefit. He routinely insults his own players in public, he has insulted his own fans during his radio show, he has insulted other teams players (Devon Roe) in a book, and now he has insulted a recruit that he seems to know will not be coming to UNC. You said that you like to give the benefit of doubt until they say or do otherwise, I am just curious, at what point would you begin to see that Ol Roy does not mean well? Anyway, I have to admire you if you can continually see the good in him, I lost that ability a while back.
As for misreading the statement, he specifically mentioned his shot numbers (if the quote is accurate) as in total shots taken not his total points or his overall stats. It was clearly meant to say he thinks Austin shoots too much. Roy was being a smart tail, not complimenting AR.

kong123
08-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt as well, except Roy has LONG since lost that benefit. He routinely insults his own players in public, he has insulted his own fans during his radio show, he has insulted other teams players (Devon Roe) in a book, and now he has insulted a recruit that he seems to know will not be coming to UNC. You said that you like to give the benefit of doubt until they say or do otherwise, I am just curious, at what point would you begin to see that Ol Roy does not mean well? Anyway, I have to admire you if you can continually see the good in him, I lost that ability a while back.
As for misreading the statement, he specifically mentioned his shot numbers (if the quote is accurate) as in total shots taken not his total points or his overall stats. It was clearly meant to say he thinks Austin shoots too much. Roy was being a smart tail, not complimenting AR.

you know, the comment was overheard by someone close by. it wasn't published anywhere other than a fan board. who knows how accurate it is. i am the one that brought it over here. we can all comment on it and draw conclusions, but the truth is, he may not have said it. even if he did say it, he may have thought he said it in confidence but instead someone ran with it. has that ever happened to you oldnavy?

SilkyJ
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
you know, the comment was overheard by someone close by. it wasn't published anywhere other than a fan board. who knows how accurate it is. i am the one that brought it over here.

No, actually, I didn't know that, since you cited it as a quote (see below) and did not provide this context until now. How convenient.

we can all comment on it and draw conclusions, but the truth is, he may not have said it. even if he did say it, he may have thought he said it in confidence but instead someone ran with it. has that ever happened to you oldnavy?

HAHA, too funny. First you bring the comment over here to do some trolling and provide it as a QUOTE. Now you're saying that he may not have even said it! This is why I mostly ignore UNC posters on this board (not all, but most)

Lord Ash
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I have found that even if a troll is well behaved, they are still a troll... although I do not know if that is the case here.

-jk
08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Let's be civil. Attack the post, not the poster.

-jk

WiJoe
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
This is why I mostly ignore UNC posters on this board (not all, but most)

C'mon. Make it 100 percent. Please?

Vasherized
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I take a summer break few months and this thread falls to page 2? Priorities, people.

ballerjunkie is back with more AAU insights and a quick blurb on Austin Rivers, who we maintain is still a Duke lock. The kid can score at will when he wants to but also understands how to play within the flow of an offense. He will absolutely soak up Coach K's system and fill it up from Day 1.

There's also some great talent in Texas in next year's class you'll want to keep an eye on.

MarchttoMarch: Weekly Whispers (http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/08/08/weekly-whispers-august-8-2010/)

Turtleboy
08-09-2010, 03:24 PM
The kid can score at will when he wants to but also understands how to play within the flow of an offense.Boy, if he could only score at will when he didn't want to the kid would be dangerous!

Osiagledknarf
08-14-2010, 10:11 AM
According to scout, both Kansas and Kentucky have offered Rivers.

uh_no
08-14-2010, 11:07 AM
According to scout, both Kansas and Kentucky have offered Rivers.

how dare you post actual news on a recruiting thread :P

MarkD83
08-14-2010, 12:45 PM
how dare you post actual news on a recruiting thread :P

Thanks for the laugh. And by the way I wish your signature said 2 teams and 13 championships because the 1999 and 2004 UConn Men's championships were Duke's for the taking.

oldnavy
08-15-2010, 01:14 PM
you know, the comment was overheard by someone close by. it wasn't published anywhere other than a fan board. who knows how accurate it is. i am the one that brought it over here. we can all comment on it and draw conclusions, but the truth is, he may not have said it. even if he did say it, he may have thought he said it in confidence but instead someone ran with it. has that ever happened to you oldnavy?

Nope. I am not in a position where thousands of people read or hear what I say. Roy seems to have a problem understanding this minor point.

Faison1
08-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Nope. I am not in a position where thousands of people read or hear what I say. Roy seems to have a problem understanding this minor point.

Who knows what was said, what the context was, and whether anything was actually said at all. I can't believe I am actually going to defend a UNC fan, but I gotta say that I'm glad Kong supplied us with the quote in the first place. Let's take it easy on the guy (Kong).

While I completely agree with Navy, in that Roy has some serious weaknesses, Coach K's quotes seem to be taken out of context at least 50% of the time, depending on who is analyzing them.

uh_no
08-15-2010, 08:02 PM
the 1999 and 2004 UConn Men's championships were Duke's for the taking.

yes, but fortunately for a lifelong uconn fan, they took neither of them

Duke09
08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
yes, but fortunately for a lifelong uconn fan, they took neither of them

As someone who sat in tears after the 99 loss, this is near blasphemy on this board

uh_no
08-15-2010, 11:36 PM
As someone who sat in tears after the 99 loss, this is near blasphemy on this board

i hated duke til I matriculated....and even so, it took me several months to truly become a blue devil.....but not a drop of my blood wishes ill upon the huskies or resents their championships, regardless of the teams they felled along their path

CLT Devil
08-16-2010, 08:57 AM
It is impossible to love UCONN and Duke...the Heartbreak they provided me makes them the third most hated team for me behind UNC, MD. To each his own....I guess.

I am going to go on a limb and say that Roy (unsubstantiated quote) was maybe, perhaps, possibly saying that AR puts up numbers (shots alone, or all other stats is the point of contention) in a single half that most players do in a whole game. If he is talking about points, other stats and not just FGs Attempted how is this disparaging?

Hey, I hate Roy as much, if not more than anymore. He is a petty man, resented his own team last year and has many character flaws....but I think we're stretching here to say "Roy is yet again bashing a HS player who appears to not be coming to UNC." Prince Harry should have at least taught us to never count out Roy, or more the UNC program to pull off a coup.

uh_no
08-16-2010, 09:28 AM
It is impossible to love UCONN and Duke...the Heartbreak they provided me makes them the third most hated team for me behind UNC, MD. To each his own....I guess.

I grew up for 18 years in connecticut.....i can't forsake that simply because my alma mater is a different school.....

Kedsy
08-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Hate is a strong word. That said, I understand the hate for UNC. I can even see Maryland because of their fans' behavior, although since they're not our rival it's hard for me to hate them. And I admit many UConn fans are no picnic, either, but I don't understand hating someone just because they beat you. It's petty. I mean, don't we make fun of Kentucky fans for doing that?

kong123
08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Hate is a strong word. That said, I understand the hate for UNC. I can even see Maryland because of their fans' behavior, although since they're not our rival it's hard for me to hate them. And I admit many UConn fans are no picnic, either, but I don't understand hating someone just because they beat you. It's petty. I mean, don't we make fun of Kentucky fans for doing that?

I thought we all made fun of Kentucky because it was so easy and it is the only common ground we can both agree on?

Osiagledknarf
08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
What do Uconn, who we like and don't like, where we have lived have anything to do with Austin Rivers?

kong123
08-16-2010, 10:46 AM
What do Uconn, who we like and don't like, OR where we have lived have anything to do with Austin Rivers?

add an "or" in between the "like," and "where" and your sentence might be easier to read. as far as getting back to the main topic, what else is there to say on the topic at this point?:cool:

94duke
08-16-2010, 11:41 AM
add an "or" in between the "like," and "where" and your sentence might be easier to read. as far as getting back to the main topic, what else is there to say on the topic at this point?:cool:

Au-stin Ri-vers! Come! To! Duke!
Au-stin Ri-vers! Come! To! Duke!
:p:)

slower
08-16-2010, 11:42 AM
add an "or" in between the "like," and "where" and your sentence might be easier to read.

Thanks, Kong. The previous statement was TOTALLY incomprehensible until you cleared that up. :)

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

kong123
08-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Kong. The previous statement was TOTALLY incomprehensible until you cleared that up. :)

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

slower, i think we just had our first moment! :o

DukeBlueNV
08-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Rivers article of intrest... nothing new just more speculatin that he will come to Duke and some words from Telep about Austin's game...

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/August-2010/Austin-Rivers-to-Duke-The-intrigue-elevates

Osiagledknarf
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't know if this means anything. But I was reading the Devils Den and a poster but this on. "A well respected source on IC said something like "91/9" in favor of Carolina, so it looks like this one's going to be a longshot." I have never heard anything like this in the past. Just wondering if someone could bring some insight to this who reads these boards frequently.

ddsdevil
08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Those so called "IC insiders" are always making crazy predictions like that. They said something similar about Kyrie not committing to Duke. I wouldn't sweat anything coming out of IC.

DukeSean
08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't know if this means anything. But I was reading the Devils Den and a poster but this on. "A well respected source on IC said something like "91/9" in favor of Carolina, so it looks like this one's going to be a longshot." I have never heard anything like this in the past. Just wondering if someone could bring some insight to this who reads these boards frequently.

I don't, but just some advice to help you from getting more gray hairs...

the only true well respected source on AR's recruitment is AR himself. And since he hasn't announced, well we'll just have to wait.

MisterRoddy
08-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Don't pay that any attention. IIRC, 91/9 is an inside joke over at TDD based on what some poster said were the chances that Duke gets Austin Rivers (I believe that was the recruit, it was a while ago). It became a joke due to the randomness of the numbers. I guess someone over at Devils Den brought the inside joke over?

sagegrouse
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Don't pay that any attention. IIRC, 91/9 is an inside joke over at TDD based on what some poster said were the chances that Duke gets Austin Rivers (I believe that was the recruit, it was a while ago). It became a joke due to the randomness of the numbers.

Not random -- it's 1-10 odds, I believe.

sagegrouse

Osiagledknarf
08-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Those so called "IC insiders" are always making crazy predictions like that. They said something similar about Kyrie not committing to Duke. I wouldn't sweat anything coming out of IC.

Did you read that though on there? The source was "real respected". I went on IC and did not see it though. Though, I can't go into the restriction section.

airowe
08-17-2010, 09:23 PM
http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/August-2010/Austin-Rivers-to-Duke-The-intrigue-elevates

Oh, and O-knarf, that 91/9 prediction was made by a poster named norrisjones who also vehemently suggested that Kyrie would not be committing on the very day he did. Ask kong123 about him, he hasn't shown his face much since it was realized that he was speaking out of his caboose.

Osiagledknarf
08-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Oh, and O-knarf, that 91/9 prediction was made by a poster named norrisjones who also vehemently suggested that Kyrie would not be committing on the very day he did. Ask kong123 about him, he hasn't shown his face much since it was realized that he was speaking out of his caboose.

Would you call him a "realible source" though? I take it was either a joke or this guy is full of hogwash. So this whole thing isn't worth losing sleep over?

BoozerWasFouled
08-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Would you call him a "realible source" though? I take it was either a joke or this guy is full of hogwash. So this whole thing isn't worth losing sleep over?

The 91/9 comment was made a long time ago by an IC insider who said UNC had a 91 percent chance of getting Austin Rivers. This individual was regarded as an insider but the "91/9" has become a running joke on TDD.

Don't worry about Austin Rivers.

Duvall
08-17-2010, 09:44 PM

It's both. Don't worry about it.

dukeballboy88
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
i recently read that Doc wanted Austin to wait to make his decision until he knows who is going pro or not. He wants to play with Kyrie and he wants to go where he can win. If Barnes stays he goes to UNC if Kyrie stays he goes to Duke. If neither stay then I dont know!

MisterRoddy
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
i recently read that Doc wanted Austin to wait to make his decision until he knows who is going pro or not. He wants to play with Kyrie and he wants to go where he can win. If Barnes stays he goes to UNC if Kyrie stays he goes to Duke. If neither stay then I dont know!

The most recent deadline set is before his high school season starts (wouldn't be surprised if it changed though....again).

dukeballboy88
08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
i jus read that Jerry Meyer for rivals said he would rather have Bradley Beal than Austin Rivers??????

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1111975

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2010, 11:22 PM
i jus read that Jerry Meyer for rivals said he would rather have Bradley Beal than Austin Rivers??????

His comment on defense is pretty interesting. Everyone focuses on how much these guys can score, but if they can't play D, they won't be on the court much. Ask Taylor King for more info.

G man
08-18-2010, 12:40 AM

Slightly taken out of context. He was saying that he would take Beal over Rivers because he complimented Teague better.

Class of '94
08-18-2010, 10:47 AM

I don't know if I buy into the scenario where AR goes to UNC if Barnes stays and Kyrie leaves (I am assuming this is what you meant). AR can win at Duke even with Kyrie gone based on the guys we have and the players coming in. I could be wrong and only AR really knows; but I just don't see AR ending his relationship and bond with Coach K in favor of going to UNC and Barnes. Obviously, HB did it; but from all accounts, I don't think UNC is AR's dream school or MJ his idol. Again, this is just speculation and opinion on my part.

jimsumner
08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
"He was saying that he would take Beal over Rivers because he complimented Teague better"

Correct. I believe Beal said that Teague was the "best point guard I've ever seen," while Rivers only said Teague was "real good."

:)

MChambers
08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
"He was saying that he would take Beal over Rivers because he complimented Teague better"

Correct. I believe Beal said that Teague was the "best point guard I've ever seen," while Rivers only said Teague was "real good."

Jim, your post complements the other post perfectly! (This also reminds me of that great story about the UNC running back being asked after a game how he and the other back complemented each other.)

moonpie23
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
ending his relationship and bond with Coach K in favor of going to UNC. Obviously, HB did it; but from all accounts, I don't think UNC is AR's dream school or MJ his idol. Again, this is just speculation and opinion on my part.

the more i think about HWNSNBM, the more i believe it was a setup from the start...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

dukeballboy88
08-18-2010, 10:39 PM
wether or not he compliments the pg better or whatever he was talking about, if AR is the real deal that we all think he is, i aint taking no one over him regardless who the pg is. meyer must think alot of this beal kid that im sleepin on. i better wake up and check him out.

MisterRoddy
08-18-2010, 11:28 PM
wether or not he compliments the pg better or whatever he was talking about, if AR is the real deal that we all think he is, i aint taking no one over him regardless who the pg is. meyer must think alot of this beal kid that im sleepin on. i better wake up and check him out.

Although I think AR is the better of the two, Beal is no joke. Ray Allen-esque. Florida, with Beal, Rosario, Walker, and possibly Boynton, is going to have one hell of a backcourt in a few years. Scary to think AR was supposed to be apart of that not too long ago.

MisterRoddy
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
the more i think about HWNSNBM, the more i believe it was a setup from the start...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

I'd rather we all just stop thinking about it all together...

UrinalCake
08-19-2010, 10:15 AM

So not only does Beal complement Teague better, he also compliments him better :)

yancem
08-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Although I think AR is the better of the two, Beal is no joke. Ray Allen-esque. Florida, with Beal, Rosario, Walker, and possibly Boynton, is going to have one hell of a backcourt in a few years. Scary to think AR was supposed to be apart of that not too long ago.

That may depend on whether the rumors of Beal decommitting pop back up this fall. There hasn't been any mention of him doing this in a while but if there was any truth to the rumors before, you never know.

CEF1959
08-19-2010, 07:24 PM

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0882902.html

left_hook_lacey
08-19-2010, 09:38 PM
http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0882902.html

This made me choke on my iced tea.:D

MisterRoddy
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
That may depend on whether the rumors of Beal decommitting pop back up this fall. There hasn't been any mention of him doing this in a while but if there was any truth to the rumors before, you never know.

Those were just that, rumors. As far as I'm concerned, he's still solid to Florida. That could change in the future (as it could with every verballed commit), but as far as I'm concerned, he's a Gator right now.

airowe
08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/08/20/1023176?sac=Home

"I can tell you behind the scenes he's all but been conceded to Duke." - Dave Telep

DurhamSon
08-20-2010, 01:06 PM

I'm the user on TDD that made the comment you are referring to. Yes, it was a joke. A few months ago once UNC got involved in the Rivers recruitment, some "insider" named norrisdavis, made a comment saying "91 UNC, 9 field", referring to the respective percentages of UNC and "the field" (everybody else)of landing Austin Rivers. Now of course this statement was met with ridicule on TDD because of the absurdity of it; I mean, how could one know enough to define odds of a recruitment within one percent? Even funnier were the UNC fans on IC and TDD defending the statement and giving credibility to it by saying "norrisdavis was pretty spot on about _______, I wouldn't dismiss him just yet" and "norrisdavis is legit." and other arrogant statements. IC was of course titillated over the simple "91/9" statement, many thinking that they were in the drivers seat for this recruitment and that "roy was going to steal another one from d o o k". Of course there were a few skeptics that didn't buy into it considering the very little level of interest Austin showed toward UNC and the very high level of interest he had shown toward Duke, but that didn't stop most of the board from riding the wave of hubris.

Time went on and more and more articles came out that were pro-duke, and neutral UNC if that. More and more IC users started to doubt that they were as much in the Rivers recruitment as they once believed, but another contingent would keep pointing to "91/9" as reason not to think things aren't going as well. "91/9" was now deep into running joke territory on TDD, with an occasional arrogant user coming over to remind us about "norrisdavis'" reputation and how we shouldn't dismiss him "quite yet".

Cue to present day, in which only one or two diehard homers on IC put any credence into "91/9" anymore. Even some of the previously arrogant IC users who bought into it now believe it carries no weight. Norrisdavis has completely remained silent on the original prediction even when asked by other posters to give his updated opinion on it. It's painfully clear that Norrisdavis was, and still is, FOS (he made predictions about other things later that didn't come to fruition either), and thus "91/9" has become a running joke that exemplifies both the gullibility of IC and the arrogance in which parrot it.

Kedsy
08-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/08/20/1023176?sac=Home

"I can tell you behind the scenes he's all but been conceded to Duke." - Dave Telep

I don't mind saying quotes like that make me verrrry nervous. But I hope he's right.

Class of '94
08-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't mind saying quotes like that make me verrrry nervous. But I hope he's right.

Is Carolina having 101 year celebration of their basketball program this year; and will Jordan happen to show and be around for AR's official visit to UNC (if AR even goes there for an official visit)? And if none that happens, I think we'll be okay.....:)

Seriously and with all joking aside....While I don't like message that article sends (if AR doesn't go to Duke, we somehow must have totally screwed up his recruitment), I do like the fact that it continues to confirm that we are are leaders; and I feel very good about our chances of getting AR sooner rather than later.

Gthoma2a
08-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Did anyone else notice he said, "when we won" rather than when they won? It is a little thing, but it shows on some level he is making the association.

Turtleboy
08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Did anyone else notice he said, "when we won" rather than when they won? It is a little thing, but it shows on some level he is making the association.I think the "we" is referring to the U18 team.

Bluedevil114
08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Did anyone else notice he said, "when we won" rather than when they won? It is a little thing, but it shows on some level he is making the association.

"when we won" was referring to the US Team winning gold not the Blue Devils National Championship.

MisterRoddy
08-20-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm under the impression that he meant when Team USA (U18) won, he decided to wear his Duke gear. Still pretty good sign for us.

Gthoma2a
08-20-2010, 06:56 PM
You are right, now that I remember the event it seems obvious, but I retain that mine would be better!

G man
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm under the impression that he meant when Team USA (U18) won, he decided to wear his Duke gear. Still pretty good sign for us.

Can you imagine how bad we would be flipping out if he was wearing UNC gear, or Florida gear?

SupaDave
08-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Can you imagine how bad we would be flipping out if he was wearing UNC gear, or Florida gear?

Actually I don't have to. I've seen it before...

JohnGalt
08-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Has there been any sort of indication from either Kyrie or Austin as to which would play off the ball should they eventually play together? Would Austin prefer to play off the ball if his high school squad had a suitable PG to play the 1 (same of Kyrie) or does he like having the ball in his hands the majority of the time? If so, do you think K would run a two-PG/no-PG (depending on how you look at it) offensive scheme or would he orchestrate different sets around a certain player at certain times?

I'm not quite as heavy into the recruiting as some of you all so I'd like to hear your thoughts...

MisterRoddy
08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Has there been any sort of indication from either Kyrie or Austin as to which would play off the ball should they eventually play together? Would Austin prefer to play off the ball if his high school squad had a suitable PG to play the 1 (same of Kyrie) or does he like having the ball in his hands the majority of the time? If so, do you think K would run a two-PG/no-PG (depending on how you look at it) offensive scheme or would he orchestrate different sets around a certain player at certain times?

I'm not quite as heavy into the recruiting as some of you all so I'd like to hear your thoughts...

I believe the sentiment is that the two would play combo guard roles with Kyrie playing more at the point, obviously.

I remember Austin saying something along the lines of him liking the idea that they (AR and Kyrie) could share the role of taking the ball up court and him being able to get the rebound and just go.

COYS
08-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I believe the sentiment is that the two would play combo guard roles with Kyrie playing more at the point, obviously.

I remember Austin saying something along the lines of him liking the idea that they (AR and Kyrie) could share the role of taking the ball up court and him being able to get the rebound and just go.

Honestly, I think Austin will be able to get a sense of how such a system would work this season with Nolan playing alongside Kyrie. Nolan, like Austin, is a more natural pure scorer who has some point guard skills and will want to show he could play the position in the pros (much like Austin). However, I think the chances of Kyrie sticking around for a second year are low enough that Austin probably isn't spending any sleepless nights worrying that he won't have the ball in his hands at Duke.

nmduke2001
08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I know people have downplayed Rondo on team US and how that would effect AR; but hopefully Rondo's withdraw doesn't come with negative feelings toward Coack K.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5493184

Tim1515
08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I know people have downplayed Rondo on team US and how that would effect AR; but hopefully Rondo's withdraw doesn't come with negative feelings toward Coack K.

I haven't read through this entire thread but i'm personally not sure why Rondo would effect Rivers at all. If the question is structured around Rondo playing for Austin's dad...lets not forget that the Celtics were talking about trading Rondo not too long ago. I'm not sure everyone in Boston is thrilled with him which is surprising since he has become such a good NBA player.

Along those lines...to me Rondo is the perfect NBA point guard...but maybe doesn't fit as well for the international game.

MisterRoddy
08-24-2010, 05:07 PM

In order for this to have ANY impact on the Rivers recruitment:
1) These rumors that Rondo withdrew himself would have to be false.
2) Rondo would have to all of a sudden digress and complain to his head coach (in which I doubt there is much contact between them at this time of year) that he doesn't like K because he didn't make the team.
3) Doc would take Rondo's complaining to heart and bring it up to Austin, insinuating that this would be enough of a roadblock for his son to not be coached by hands down one of the best living coaches ever.
4) Austin would take all of this into consideration, therefore, sticking up for his dad's player, totally ignoring the fact that none of this has anything to do with his recruitment.

Highly unlikely, agreed?

nmduke2001
08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
In order for this to have ANY impact on the Rivers recruitment:
1) These rumors that Rondo withdrew himself would have to be false.
2) Rondo would have to all of a sudden digress and complain to his head coach (in which I doubt there is much contact between them at this time of year) that he doesn't like K because he didn't make the team.
3) Doc would take Rondo's complaining to heart and bring it up to Austin, insinuating that this would be enough of a roadblock for his son to not be coached by hands down one of the best living coaches ever.
4) Austin would take all of this into consideration, therefore, sticking up for his dad's player, totally ignoring the fact that none of this has anything to do with his recruitment.

Highly unlikely, agreed?

I don’t think that it is unreasonable to think that AR admires and even has a friendly relationship with Rondo. Why wouldn’t he ask Rondo about his experience? Many believe that AR is gathering as much info as possible before announcing his decision; I would guess that would include speaking to Rondo about K.

MisterRoddy
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I don’t think that it is unreasonable to think that AR admires and even has a friendly relationship with Rondo. Why wouldn’t he ask Rondo about his experience? Many believe that AR is gathering as much info as possible before announcing his decision; I would guess that would include speaking to Rondo about K.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's highly unlikely that a professional of Rondo's stature would carry a personal vendetta against K just because he was cut from the team and then carry those sentiments to a recruit that K is trying to land.

JBDuke
08-24-2010, 06:28 PM

You're propogating nothing but speculation and conjecture. No one here is going to have insight as to any connection between Austin and Rondo and possible impacts on Duke's recruitment of the former. Please don't go further down this road until we have some actual reason - like a quoted source - for any basis in this. Why go borrowing trouble?

juise
08-24-2010, 08:04 PM
...it's highly unlikely that a professional of Rondo's stature would carry a personal vendetta against K just because he was cut from the team...

I definitely agree with the general premise of your argument. I think this means next to nothing for Austin's recruitment. However, it's not unreasonable to think that a young star may hold a grudge against K (granted, Arenas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2743071) is also crazy ;)).

jipops
08-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I definitely agree with the general premise of your argument. I think this means next to nothing for Austin's recruitment. However, it's not unreasonable to think that a young star may hold a grudge against K (granted, Arenas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2743071) is also crazy ;)).

Or maybe we could give Rondo the benefit of the doubt and believe he might be taking it like a man.

chrisheery
08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Just to give a counter-perspective to the rampant speculation:

What if Doc Rivers has always thought Rondo was a bit immature and hard to deal with and only respects Coach K more now for having the balls to cut him despite the fact that he just had a great playoff run and is a certified NBA star? Maybe it is another feather in Coach K's cap in Doc's eyes.

SupaDave
08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Just to give a counter-perspective to the rampant speculation:

What if Doc Rivers has always thought Rondo was a bit immature and hard to deal with and only respects Coach K more now for having the balls to cut him despite the fact that he just had a great playoff run and is a certified NBA star? Maybe it is another feather in Coach K's cap in Doc's eyes.

Or is it simply the fact that the writing was on the wall? The team has enough point guards, he didn't play against Spain, he needs to continue to work on his outside shot, Curry played well, Gordon played well, that ball clutch that he has is easily a walk on FIBA's terms, and there was no way another big was getting cut.

Just some thoughts.

Oh yeah - Austin's already committed to USA ball, knows what it's about - and now he's thinking about college...

nmduke2001
08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
You're propogating nothing but speculation and conjecture. No one here is going to have insight as to any connection between Austin and Rondo and possible impacts on Duke's recruitment of the former. Please don't go further down this road until we have some actual reason - like a quoted source - for any basis in this. Why go borrowing trouble?

The intent of my original post was to make the thread aware of Rondo's leave from the team and state my hope that it would not affect AR's recruitment.

chrisheery
08-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Or is it simply the fact that the writing was on the wall? The team has enough point guards, he didn't play against Spain, he needs to continue to work on his outside shot, Curry played well, Gordon played well, that ball clutch that he has is easily a walk on FIBA's terms, and there was no way another big was getting cut.

Just some thoughts.

Oh yeah - Austin's already committed to USA ball, knows what it's about - and now he's thinking about college...

Not sure what the tone of your email is meant to indicate. If it is that you are "smartly" making a point that hasn't been made, you might want to reconsider. The conversation was not about Rondo at all, but about AR. I think it is clear, and everyone paying attention agrees, that Rondo was the worst suited player to continue on with the USA team. The discussion had turned to the question of whether it would affect AR. I was only proposing an opposing viewpoint to that already suggested that this (while obviously being the best decision for basketball purposes) may also be just another indicator to Doc Rivers why Coach K is such a great coach. He doesn't take someone just because it was what was expected from a PR perspective. He does what is best for his team and coaches with a purpose.

For a moderator, you certainly seem to cause more arguments than you diffuse.

SupaDave
08-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Not sure what the tone of your email is meant to indicate. If it is that you are "smartly" making a point that hasn't been made, you might want to reconsider. The conversation was not about Rondo at all, but about AR. I think it is clear, and everyone paying attention agrees, that Rondo was the worst suited player to continue on with the USA team. The discussion had turned to the question of whether it would affect AR. I was only proposing an opposing viewpoint to that already suggested that this (while obviously being the best decision for basketball purposes) may also be just another indicator to Doc Rivers why Coach K is such a great coach. He doesn't take someone just because it was what was expected from a PR perspective. He does what is best for his team and coaches with a purpose.

For a moderator, you certainly seem to cause more arguments than you diffuse.

There's no argument here. There's also no reason we should be talking about Rondo in this thread.

El_Diablo
08-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Okay, let's get back to the real discussion here.

Word on the street is that Coach K tipped a waiter 20% at dinner last night. How will this affect Austin Rivers' recruitment? The waiter once served dinner to a childhood friend of Spike Lee, who is a big fan of the Knicks, one of the teams that Doc Rivers played for. My feeling is that a 20% tip is on the generous end of the standard spectrum (15-20%). Going beyond that (25% or more) is really just showing off...unless the waiter truly did an excellent job, but there's no indication yet that that was the case. Jeff Goodman tweeted something about the steak being slightly overcooked, and I heard on another message board that the waiter forgot the balsamic vinaigrette when he brought the salad.

Anyway, I think Austin will appreciate Coach K's down-to-earth approach here in the tipping department. 20% nets a very fair tip, considering that a bottle of wine was involved. At the same time, it encourages the waiter to work a little harder in the future to be a better waiter and (in turn) get higher percentages. Giving him a 30% tip, while certainly within Coach K's means, would only encourage the waiter to accept mediocrity in the future. I think Spike Lee would appreciate this approach, so hopefully that will translate over to Austin Rivers.

MChambers
08-25-2010, 08:39 AM

Word on the street is that Coach K tipped a waiter 20% at dinner last night. How will this affect Austin Rivers' recruitment? The waiter once served dinner to a childhood friend of Spike Lee, who is a big fan of the Knicks, one of the teams that Doc Rivers played for. My feeling is that a 20% tip is on the generous end of the standard spectrum (15-20%). Going beyond that (25% or more) is really just showing off...unless the waiter truly did an excellent job, but there's no indication yet that that was the case. Jeff Goodman tweeted something about the steak being slightly overcooked, and I heard on another message board that the waiter forgot the balsamic vinaigrette when he brought the salad.

Anyway, I think Austin will appreciate Coach K's down-to-earth approach here in the tipping department. 20% nets a very fair tip, considering that a bottle of wine was involved. At the same time, it encourages the waiter to work a little harder in the future to be a better waiter and (in turn) get higher percentages. Giving him a 30% tip, while certainly within Coach K's means, would only encourage the waiter to accept mediocrity in the future. I think Spike Lee would appreciate this approach, so hopefully that will translate over to Austin Rivers.

Were there any gerbils at the dinner?

COYS
08-25-2010, 09:04 AM

And did they speak or were they silent?

Indoor66
08-25-2010, 09:47 AM

How many cinder blocks?

JBDuke
08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
And did they speak or were they silent?

How many cinder blocks?

Okay, that's enough. I hope, by now, the poster has gotten the point.

airowe
08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Some actual Austin Rivers news:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball/os-austin-rivers-official-visits,0,2585114.story

Rivers, speaking Wednesday before boarding an Orlando flight to Los Angeles for Saturday's Boost Mobile Elite 24 game, said he will take separate weekend trips to Duke and North Carolina in October.

:D

SCMatt33
08-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Unfortunately, I have some very bad news, which changes your analysis entirely and could have drastic effects on Rivers. You forgot to adjust the standard tipping range to reflect the fact that Coach K is currently in Europe with the national team, where the tips are customarily much smaller than in the US, since waiters don't rely on them as part of their salary. Sadly, this puts Coach K's tip well into the "flashy" range, which will be frowned upon by Rivers, causing him to immediately commit to UK, where such flashiness is abhorred by both fans and staff alike.

Seriously, August must be the worst month for college basketball. I can't wait until we get to a point where there will be some serious recruiting news or at least serious hype for the season to keep us all distracted.

dchen09
08-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Some actual Austin Rivers news:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball/os-austin-rivers-official-visits,0,2585114.story

:D

Does this mean that UNC hasn't backed off of Rivers as speculated?

kong123
08-25-2010, 04:57 PM
I would imagine that everyone is just going through the motions

DukeBlueNV
08-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Does this mean that UNC hasn't backed off of Rivers as speculated?

It seems to me that all of these schools (except maybe Flordia) have given up on Austin and just waiting for him to commit to Duke. Are they going to say "No thanks" if Rivers wants to come visit??? Heck no! I'm sure they will do their best to impress him but I dont think any of them think they have a realistic shot at him. Check out Dave Telep's views on River's recruitment in the article form the Fay Observer two pages back.

Duvall
08-25-2010, 05:12 PM
It seems to me that all of these schools (except maybe Flordia) have given up on Austin and just waiting for him to commit to Duke. Are they going to say "No thanks" if Rivers wants to come visit??? Heck no! I'm sure they will do their best to impress him but I dont think any of them think they have a realistic shot at him. Check out Dave Telep's views on River's recruitment in the article form the Fay Observer two pages back.

I'm not sure that we should mistake Dave Telep's stenography for reporting or analysis. Just because other coaches are telling him that they expect Rivers to attend doesn't mean that they actually believe that.

DukeBlueNV
08-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure that we should mistake Dave Telep's stenography for reporting or analysis. Just because other coaches are telling him that they expect Rivers to attend doesn't mean that they actually believe that.

I disagree. If Telep (who I'd say is as in tune with bball recruiting as anyone) says Rivers is as good as commited I'm going to trust he knows what he's taking about until I hear something else to the contrary. Could he be wrong. Yes. Are other coaches going to roll out the red carpet and hope something changes when he goes on these visits? Most definitly. But at this moment we should all be feeling pretty confident.

"OH, BUT HARRISON BARNES... BLAH BLAH BLAH..."

Whatever. I think unless we hear about Austin rocking a UNC shirt or talking about how much he loves Kansas we should just continue to feel good about where we stand with him and just wait patiently for the process to play out.

Duvall
08-25-2010, 06:55 PM
I disagree. If Telep (who I'd say is as in tune with bball recruiting as anyone) says Rivers is as good as commited I'm going to trust he knows what he's taking about until I hear something else to the contrary. Could he be wrong. Yes. Are other coaches going to roll out the red carpet and hope something changes when he goes on these visits? Most definitly. But at this moment we should all be feeling pretty confident.

Telep is in tune with basketball recruiting, and wants to stay that way. If that means being a witting or unwitting tool in a school's gamesmanship, so be it.

CharlestonDevil
08-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Right now my primary concern isn't how much contact UNC is having with Rivers, or that he keeps pushing his committment out, or that all of the sources saying that he is a "Duke lock" might be wrong. My worry is that, much like HB, AR will get wooed by some big name alumni (see Jordan or Carter) or fall in love with some college town that Durham doesn't offer (see AR's original committment to Florida).

Is River's in love with Duke? Yes
Does he think K is the best Coach in the country? Yes
Does he want to play with Kyrie? Yes
Has AR changed his mind a dozen times over the past 6 months? YES

So let's hope the Florida sun, a retired 23 jersey, or whatever they have in Kansas, doesn't distract Austin from his desire to play in the best program, with the best coach, as a possible 2 time reigning national champion.

airowe
08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Right now my primary concern isn't how much contact UNC is having with Rivers, or that he keeps pushing his committment out, or that all of the sources saying that he is a "Duke lock" might be wrong. My worry is that, much like HB, AR will get wooed by some big name alumni (see Jordan or Carter) or fall in love with some college town that Durham doesn't offer (see AR's original committment to Florida).

Is River's in love with Duke? Yes
Does he think K is the best Coach in the country? Yes
Does he want to play with Kyrie? Yes
Has AR changed his mind a dozen times over the past 6 months? YES

So let's hope the Florida sun, a retired 23 jersey, or whatever they have in Kansas, doesn't distract Austin from his desire to play in the best program, with the best coach, as a possible 2 time reigning national champion.

Nothing they have in any of those places will be as cool as watching the real National Championship banner being raised into the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

CharlestonDevil
08-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Nothing they have in any of those places will be as cool as watching the real National Championship banner being raised into the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Agreed. But AR isn't coming for our ceremony is he?

(Side Note: Had Austin made it to the UNC/Duke game last year I think he would have committed already)

(Side Note #2: I am excited about Quincy watching us raise banner #4...)

airowe
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Agreed. But AR isn't coming for our ceremony is he?

Why would you say that? ;)

dchen09
08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Why would you say that? ;)

LOL, I like your attitude :-P

jimrowe0
08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Austin was one of the top performers against the pros. Him and Quincy are in the video below. Just your average pick up against John Wall, Tyreke Evans, J Will, Brandon Jennings, and company.

Tweeted by ballislife http://youtu.be/fsz_JVLqFh0?a

Duke of Nashville
08-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Austin was one of the top performers against the pros. Him and Quincy are in the video below. Just your average pick up against John Wall, Tyreke Evans, J Will, Brandon Jennings, and company.

Was that Austin crossin' over Wall at the 1:00 mark?

jimrowe0
08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Was that Austin crossin' over Wall at the 1:00 mark?

Yes that was and he also drains a three on Wall earlier in the video.

sandinmyshoes
08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
After Wright and Barnes, I'll never count Roy Williams out again. But, I feel even better about this one than I did those two. Of course, that tends to make me even more nervous.

DukeBlueNV
08-26-2010, 02:44 PM

That vid was an awesome find! Would have loved to be there and witness all those talented players going at each other. Would have been great to watch in person.

UrinalCake
08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
My worry is that, much like HB, AR will get wooed by some big name alumni (see Jordan or Carter) or fall in love with some college town that Durham doesn't offer (see AR's original committment to Florida).

Valid concerns, but I also think Austin is less likely to be wow'ed by the presence of a school's big-name alumni given his pedigree. Also, what exactly could UNC do to impress him, raise their NIT runner-up banner?

jimrowe0
08-26-2010, 03:56 PM
That vid was an awesome find! Would have loved to be there and witness all those talented players going at each other. Would have been great to watch in person.

Partial credit to Airrowe for telling me to follow ballislife.

CharlestonDevil
08-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Valid concerns, but I also think Austin is less likely to be wow'ed by the presence of a school's big-name alumni given his pedigree. Also, what exactly could UNC do to impress him, raise their NIT runner-up banner?

As much as I hate it I can understand HB being wowed when he visited UNC. Jordan was there, Vincanity told him to be a tarheel, and I'm sure that place was going nuts (for once) when their 09 banner was being raised.

But I think your point about his pedigree is right on. Big names are less likely to impress him. And our banner will dwarf anything they could point to. Plus the whine-and-cheese crowd is much less impressive compared to Cameron on an average day.

nmduke2001
08-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I didn't see this posted previously...if it is a repeat, I apologize. It looks like AR is now the number one recruit according to Rivals.
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1117397

dchen09
08-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I was reading draft express tweets and they did not seem very impressed by River's play. Said he seemed pouty and dominated the ball too much. Anyone can corroborate this?

roywhite
08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
I was reading draft express tweets and they did not seem very impressed by River's play. Said he seemed pouty and dominated the ball too much. Anyone can corroborate this?

Just my observations from watching some videos, some HS games, and some U-18 games:
Austin likes to have the ball
Austin is a shooter and a scorer...he'll take outside shots, but also create out of the flow of the game
He's a competitor who wants to win...with his HS team, there has not been great talent around him, so he's been a dominant offensive player; on the U-18 team, he was the leading scorer, but played fine within a team concept and around other talented players

For example on his U-18 stats (http://www.usabasketball.com/photos/10_mu18_stats.pdf)

60 FG attempts in 5 games, but Quincy Miller with 48 attempts and Kyrie with 51 attempts were not far behind.

In addition, though Austin takes some shots from well beyond the arc, he is a pretty efficient offensive player as judged by his U-18 stats:
58.3% FG
60.0% 3-pt FG
71.4% FT

Also, he led the USA U-18 team in steals and there were 3 other players (including Kyrie) who had more turnovers.

In short, he likes to have the ball, but can play very well with other talented players. A good college coach....like, oh say...that Coach K guy will help his game quite a bit.

MChambers
08-26-2010, 08:01 PM
In addition, though Austin takes some shots from well beyond the arc, he is a pretty efficient offensive player as judged by his U-18 stats:
58.3% FG
60.0% 3-pt FG
71.4% FT

You, sir, are a master of understatement. Anybody who makes 60 percent of his threes is not taking too many!

77devil
08-26-2010, 09:04 PM

Presumably right next to this one!

watzone
08-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Rivers is rocking it at the Elite 24 with a lot of other Duke prospects, namely - Quincy Miller, Shabazz Muhammad, Murph, Quinn Cook, Gbinije and a guy who may suddenly appear on ther radar should he open it back up;)

Rivers went up against the pros last evening and he is scrimmaging in two warm up games as I type. We have some updates on twitter from the event.

left_hook_lacey
08-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Rivers is rocking it at the Elite 24 with a lot of other Duke prospects, namely - Quincy Miller, Shabazz Muhammad, Murph, Quinn Cook, Gbinije and a guy who may suddenly appear on ther radar should he open it back up;)

Rivers went up against the pros last evening and he is scrimmaging in two warm up games as I type. We have some updates on twitter from the event.

And he held his own against some big name players. Here's some video of him crossing up John Wall and finishing the play, and then picking Wall's pocket on the very next play leading to a fast break. Me likes.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Top-high-school-prospect-crosses-up-John-Wall?urn=ncaab-265506

chrisheery
08-27-2010, 06:19 PM

That is quite a tease. Most rumored guys to open back up: Kabongo and Beal.

Both are awesome, but Kabongo fits our needs more if KI leaves. Either way, excited to hear who it is.

MisterRoddy
08-27-2010, 06:21 PM
That is quite a tease. Most rumored guys to open back up: Kabongo and Beal.

Both are awesome, but Kabongo fits our needs more if KI leaves. Either way, excited to hear who it is.

I believe he is referring to Kabongo.

chrisheery
08-27-2010, 06:22 PM
(I do too)

MisterRoddy
08-27-2010, 06:26 PM
(I do too)

Haha, I was just making sure since you mentioned Beal also. I don't think we have to worry about Beal unless we play Florida in a couple of years.

rotogod00
08-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Rivers schooling Wall made it to Rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Top-high-school-prospect-crosses-up-John-Wall?urn=ncaab-265506

Seattledukie
08-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Its a summer league game so I'm sure Wall wasn't as focused as he could be, but check out this video.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_highschool_varsity/2010/08/28/austin-rivers-shows-up-john-wall/

MisterRoddy
08-28-2010, 02:15 PM
http://theshiver.com/2010/08/austin-rivers-plans-to-visit-4/

Here is an Austin Rivers interview with a Kansas reporter. He mentions the exact date he plans on visiting Duke (and UNC).

El_Diablo
08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
http://theshiver.com/2010/08/austin-rivers-plans-to-visit-4/

Here is an Austin Rivers interview with a Kansas reporter. He mentions the exact date he plans on visiting Duke (and UNC).

For those unable/unwilling to watch the entire clip...

Duke = Oct. 1
UNC = Oct. 16

LSanders
08-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Rivers schooling Wall made it to Rivals:

And that's Austin against Wall ... Imagine KI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

airowe
08-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Rivers sets visits: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/28/duke-and-unc-recruit-austin-rivers-visit-updates/

In an interview after the Boost Mobile Elite 24 event in Venice Beach, Austin stated that he will officially visit Duke the weekend of October 1st but will also visit the UNC Tarheels on October 16th

Bluedevil114
08-29-2010, 06:54 AM
I believe Austin never takes the Carolina visit. He will commit to Duke a week after his official visit to Durham and attends Countdown to Craziness on October 15th. Conveniently he scheduled his visit to Carolina the day after Craziness so that if he feels the right fit after his visit to Duke then there will be no need to visit the other blue. I have a good feeling about how he scheduled his visits.

MisterRoddy
08-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Rivers sets visits: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/28/duke-and-unc-recruit-austin-rivers-visit-updates/

If what Austin says in this interview is true, it looks like Austin will be visiting us twice in 3 weeks.

Class of '94
08-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Nice insight Airowe.......I agree with your line of thinking as well. Oct. 1st will be huge; and if teh staff can put together a great visit for Austin, I think he will commit to Duke and not go to the UNC visit; and CTC will be an even better night. What if Austin commits at CTC? That would be wild.

Saying that, I know many of us would go into a frenzied worry if AR doesn't commit to Duke prior to his UNC visit; and if he ends up taking the UNC visit. But again, I'm in agreement with Airowe and I feel really good about AR committing on either his Duke visit or soon thereafter; and that part of the CTC will be a celebration of AR's commitment.

airowe
08-29-2010, 02:32 PM
CTC will be a celebration of this year's team and I'm guessing a look back on how special last year's title run was.

The guest list is certainly not complete as of now, but the focus will be on the players on the court, not the ones in the stands.

Class of '94
08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
CTC will be a celebration of this year's team and I'm guessing a look back on how special last year's title run was.

The guest list is certainly not complete as of now, but the focus will be on the players on the court, not the ones in the stands.

Sorry, I should have clarified. My CTC comment meant as more for a possible dream scenario for us Duke fans watching and observing the festivities from afar. The actual event's focus should be on the current Duke players and the celebration of last year's NC accomplishments.

But on an AR related note, I also find it interesting (and good for us) that Austin set the dates the way he did in comparison to Celtics' preseason schedule. It seemed like Doc wanted to be more a part of AR's recruitment process; and by setting his Duke visit for Oct. 1st, Doc may have a better chance of coming with Austin if he wants to b/c I think the Celtics 1st preseason game is Oct. 6th; and training camp should be wrapping up around the time of AR's Duke visit. The Celtics will be playing preseason games on both the 15th and 16th of October; and IMO I doubt Doc would be with Austin at that time for a possible UNC visit. Again, this could be nothing but I think it's worth noting.

jimmymax
08-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Wow. Folks are still reading a thread over a year old with 1000s of posts? I know there's that one on the Off-Topic board, but that's just in good fun, right? Why not just have one ginormous thread for all of DBR and call it quits? Are you paying your ISP by thread or by byte? I love seeing posters apologize for starting a new thread...that...perhaps...might...overlap with an ongoing one...please don't delete me.

Anyway, as absurd it is, I will have to check back when "A-god" Rivers commits to UNC -- you know it's gonna happen...

Class of '94
08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I believe Austin never takes the Carolina visit. He will commit to Duke a week after his official visit to Durham and attends Countdown to Craziness on October 15th. Conveniently he scheduled his visit to Carolina the day after Craziness so that if he feels the right fit after his visit to Duke then there will be no need to visit the other blue. I have a good feeling about how he scheduled his visits.

Sorry Bluedevil114 and Airowe, I mixed up your posts. I wanted to correct my earlier post by saying I agree with and like your line of thinking Bluedevil114. However, if AR doesn't commit and still goies to the UNC visit, it doesn't mean that he doesn't eventually choose Duke....it just may look initially bad for us:)

DevilHorns
08-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Anyway, as absurd it is, I will have to check back when "A-god" Rivers commits to UNC -- you know it's gonna happen...

There's that chance. It's a healthy chance given that its still on his list of schools. That's enough for me NOT to get excited about this guy. Let's see what happens.

Bluedevil114
08-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Sorry Bluedevil114 and Airowe, I mixed up your posts. I wanted to correct my earlier post by saying I agree with and like your line of thinking Bluedevil114. However, if AR doesn't commit and still goies to the UNC visit, it doesn't mean that he doesn't eventually choose Duke....it just may look initially bad for us:)

I felt cheated...............I agree 100% but the dates are definitely in our favor and he said in his interview that if he felt comfortable then he would commit before his visits are complete. I feel very good about this one.

airowe
08-31-2010, 01:34 AM
Austin Rivers Update: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/31/austin-rivers-visit-updates-video-evidence/

gam7
08-31-2010, 02:48 AM
Article featuring Austin at the Elite 24. Also a note on Q, and a cool pic of Deuce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5512447

MisterRoddy
08-31-2010, 12:56 PM
An update on the Austin Rivers Recruitment

- Will visit UNC the weekend of Oct. 1st and Duke the weekend of CTC (as airowe mentions on his blog).

- As many of you can clearly see, it's safe to assume that Florida and Kansas are very little players as it remains to be seen if he ever even makes a visit to either program knowing he has only set up officials to UNC and Duke.

- As Austin mentioned in his Elite 24 interview, he will most likely announce his decision after his last official (CTC?)

- A very Duke-flavored quote on twitter (@TheDevilsDen) has to make us feel great (not good) about our chances with Austin.

Class of '94
08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
- A very Duke-flavored quote on twitter (@TheDevilsDen) has to make us feel great (not good) about our chances with Austin.

I tried to find this quote on twitter and couldn't. What did it say?

MisterRoddy
08-31-2010, 02:28 PM
I tried to find this quote on twitter and couldn't. What did it say?

Here's the tweet:

Thedevilsden: "Me, Kabongo, Quincy, and Gbinije

Daniel tosh
08-31-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't get it.

CharlestonDevil
08-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Here's the tweet:Thedevilsden: "Me, Kabongo, Quincy, and Gbinije

Yeah. That must not be all of the tweet.

Certainly they weren't referencing playing college ball together. How is that a "great" sign for us?

Turtleboy
08-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Certainly they weren't referencing playing college ball together. How is that a "great" sign for us?I doubt he meant this, but if they are all playing together they are all playing at Duke. Gbinije has committed.

MisterRoddy
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM

Certainly they weren't referencing playing college ball together. How is that a "great" sign for us?

Haha, take it for what it's worth, but trust me, it's a great quote for us. Turtleboy is on the right track.

Greg_Newton
08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
:

:eek::confused::eek:I wanna know what that's an answer to!;)

Could it perhaps be the answer to "Who all do you know will be at CTC?" That would be nice...