PDA

View Full Version : Duke FB vs. Michigan in 2010?

blazindw
07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
http://detnews.com/article/20090727/SPORTS0201/907270386/1004/Michigan-s-2010-opener-will-be-against-at-BCS-conference-team

Duke mentioned as one of the possibilities to open up the season at the renovated Big House. Would be a good test for our boys...and if confirmed, I will definitely be in the house for that one!

EDIT: I should mention that the contract would be a home-and-home, meaning Michigan would also come to Wally Wade.

roywhite
07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
http://detnews.com/article/20090727/SPORTS0201/907270386/1004/Michigan-s-2010-opener-will-be-against-at-BCS-conference-team

Duke mentioned as one of the possibilities to open up the season at the renovated Big House. Would be a good test for our boys...and if confirmed, I will definitely be in the house for that one!

EDIT: I should mention that the contract would be a home-and-home, meaning Michigan would also come to Wally Wade.

Could be a very competitive game, and Duke would have a chance to win it IMO. I'm a Coach Cut fan, and not much of a Coach RichRod fan.

No inside info, but I'm doubtful UM will make the deal to come to Duke for a crowd of 36,000-40,000 when the other schools can seat larger crowds.

dukeballer2294
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
id love it, we could get some national exposure.... i doubt itd be pitt or osu with there recent troubles they would porbably want a known to be lesser opponent to ope their new renovated stadium.

CameronBornAndBred
07-27-2009, 09:03 PM
That would be flat out awesome, can you imagine that schedule? Alabama, Michigan, and 1/2 the ACC. Plus hopefully one scrub team. Way up there on the strength-o-schedule meter.

beltwayBD
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh no, another alumni confusion day (days)! I would have to get tix for Ann Arbor.

Mike Corey
07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
M*chigan gets to lose to my two favorite teams in the same season?

Sounds wonderful to me.

wolfpackdevil
07-28-2009, 12:29 AM
I hope this will happen. Duke would get very good exposure if they get to play in Ann Arbor. And they will get to play Michigan at home! that almost matches Carolina hosting Notre Dame.

And btw, why did we schedule NCCU and Richmond??? We could have easily replaced one of those two games with a winnable game against an FBS school like Army.

It would have given us a very good shot at winning 3 of our 4 non-conference games. And we would only need 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

Duke of Nashville
07-28-2009, 09:13 AM
"And btw, why did we schedule NCCU and Richmond??? We could have easily replaced one of those two games with a winnable game against an FBS school like Army."

We are already playing Army September 12th

wolfpackdevil
07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
"And btw, why did we schedule NCCU and Richmond??? We could have easily replaced one of those two games with a winnable game against an FBS school like Army."

We are already playing Army September 12th

Yes, I know that we are playing Army. I was just making a comparison.

I think we should replace the NCCU game with a game against a team with about the same talent level as Army.

Maybe Navy, or somebody we could beat so we only have to get 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

jimsumner
07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Cut said yesterday that he thinks a team should have to win seven games to be bowl eligible anyway. He also siad that he knows what a bowl team looks like and this looks like a bowl team. They only need good coaching. :)

CameronBornAndBred
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I think we should replace the NCCU game with a game against a team with about the same talent level as Army.

I imagine that day you will see Wallace Wade packed tighter than you have in a long time. You should start making your way to the parking lot now.

wolfpackdevil
07-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I imagine that day you will see Wallace Wade packed tighter than you have in a long time. You should start making your way to the parking lot now.

I am ready for a sold out crowd.

But what would you rather have?

A great diverse sold out crowd at Wallace-Wade for ONE game? Or making a bowl game for the first time since 1995?

Duvall
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I am ready for a sold out crowd.

But what would you rather have?

A great diverse sold out crowd at Wallace-Wade for ONE game? Or making a bowl game for the first time since 1995?

Maybe, but the first is nearly a certainty, while the latter only applies if Duke wins exactly six games, no more and no fewer. I'm not sure what bowl would want a 6-6 Duke team, though the league might work something out.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I hope this will happen. Duke would get very good exposure if they get to play in Ann Arbor. And they will get to play Michigan at home! that almost matches Carolina hosting Notre Dame.

And btw, why did we schedule NCCU and Richmond??? We could have easily replaced one of those two games with a winnable game against an FBS school like Army.

It would have given us a very good shot at winning 3 of our 4 non-conference games. And we would only need 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

It's been my impression from published interviews of Coach Cutcliffe that it's his idea to play NCCU this year and that this game be the Homecoming game. He's gotten to know the coach at Central and seems to want to build some good ties throughout Durham. If the program continues to build as we all expect it to do, I think what I interpret as your concern about strength of schedule will be addressed very quickly and very directly.

Richmond is no patsy.

CameronBornAndBred
07-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Maybe, but the first is nearly a certainty, while the latter only applies if Duke wins exactly six games, no more and no fewer. I'm not sure what bowl would want a 6-6 Duke team, though the league might work something out.
We have to win 7 games this year. I'd like both.

blazindw
07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
M*chigan gets to lose to my two favorite teams in the same season?

Sounds wonderful to me.

You're killing me, Mike!

Mike Corey
07-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Well my friend, you've lucked out: I've just received word that M*chigan will not in fact be opening against Duke in 2010.

Devilsfan
07-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Too bad! I guess it would be awful to start your season with a L and have to end it playing Tressels' Buckeyes. Rich Rod may be smarter than I thought.

Bob Green
07-29-2009, 06:44 AM
I've just received word that M*chigan will not in fact be opening against Duke in 2010.

I sure hope Coach Cutcliffe is aware that South Carolina has an open date on their 2010 schedule due to the ESPN matchup of UNC/LSU in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff game:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1625451.html

Opening the 2010 season with a Thursday trip to Columbia for an ESPN telecast game is a good idea in my opinion.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2009, 08:19 AM
I sure hope Coach Cutcliffe is aware that South Carolina has an open date on their 2010 schedule due to the ESPN matchup of UNC/LSU in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff game:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1625451.html

Opening the 2010 season with a Thursday trip to Columbia for an ESPN telecast game is a good idea in my opinion.
I wonder how Steve Spurrier would feel about it.

killerleft
07-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I wonder how Steve Spurrier would feel about it.

I'm not sure I'd want Duke to play SC. Steve would probably find a way to alienate Duke fans. Then our memories of his time at Duke would be colored by whatever he said. And, let's face it, we don't have lots of real good memories (at least as far as winning much) to be squandering them.

throatybeard
07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
We used to play South Carolina all the time, even after they left the league. This ended in the early 90s, I suppose about the time they entered the SEC.

I say we schedule Michigan for the 2008 season. That would rock.

Oops too late.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
We used to play South Carolina all the time, even after they left the league. This ended in the early 90s, I suppose about the time they entered the SEC.

I say we schedule Michigan for the 2008 season. That would rock.

Oops too late.

The last Duke - South Carolina game was September 7, 1991, played before a crowd of 71,200 in Columbia. Duke beat South Carolina by a score of 24-24. What a game!