View Full Version : The costs of recruiting

diablesseblu
07-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Fascinating piece in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/sports/ncaabasketball/27hoops.html?hpw

ACCBBallFan
07-27-2009, 06:43 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/sports/ncaabasketball/27hoops.html?hpwTennis is not the only sport with a racket.

JG Nothing
07-28-2009, 02:23 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/sports/ncaabasketball/27hoops.html?hpw

Good for Kevin Stallings. I wish other coaches had the guts to speak out in public. Quoting the article:

“That’s exactly what’s wrong with our business,” Stallings said. “There’s a mentality where coaches want to cover themselves and not get out there and say what’s right and call out the people that are wrong.

“That’s precisely why things are the way they are. That’s why we have culture issues in our game. It’s a darn shame. The people who could have influence and do have a voice, they choose not to use it because it doesn’t help them. They don’t want anything unsettling their smooth little boat ride.”

Inonehand
07-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Honestly, in a sport where it now takes thousands of dollars to get tickets to good programs' games, the coaches are paid millions, and budgets are ever growing, I don't blame these AAU guys in the least. Charge away, I say. I do feel for the smaller programs though. Maybe each ACC, Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, Big 10 and SEC program can adopt a few for the summer and pay for their packets. While I understand that Kevin Stallings (I do like that man) is taking a stance here, I find it somewhat hypocritical.

crimsonandblue
07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Honestly, in a sport where it now takes thousands of dollars to get tickets to good programs' games, the coaches are paid millions, and budgets are ever growing, I don't blame these AAU guys in the least. Charge away, I say. I do feel for the smaller programs though. Maybe each ACC, Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, Big 10 and SEC program can adopt a few for the summer and pay for their packets. While I understand that Kevin Stallings (I do like that man) is taking a stance here, I find it somewhat hypocritical.

My thought was less "hypocritical" and more, much ado about nothing. If all the coaches are charged the same fee, I don't see an issue with it being done to gain an advantage and if the organizers can get all these kids in one place for tournaments, you can accomplish that one of two ways, the kids can pony up for team entrance fees or you can charge the attendees. Personally, I prefer to let the schools pay to fund these events instead of taking money from the kids and their parents.

You look at a typical high school baseball tournament, the event is funded by concessions and entry fees paid by the kids and the kids' parents.

Bluedog
07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
My thought was less "hypocritical" and more, much ado about nothing. If all the coaches are charged the same fee, I don't see an issue with it being done to gain an advantage and if the organizers can get all these kids in one place for tournaments, you can accomplish that one of two ways, the kids can pony up for team entrance fees or you can charge the attendees. Personally, I prefer to let the schools pay to fund these events instead of taking money from the kids and their parents.

You look at a typical high school baseball tournament, the event is funded by concessions and entry fees paid by the kids and the kids' parents.

While I agree with you in principle, I think there's a distinct difference between charging everybody a $10 entry fee and charging $295 for a recruiting packet of rosters only to coaches. The $10 admission fee makes sense; the $295 recruiting packet can be questionable at times.

DukeBlueNikeShox
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I thought it sounded pretty cheap. I know some tournaments charge as much as $500 for a book...