PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Cornell?

mjnets524
04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know if the rumor that Duke will face Cornell next year is true?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2007, 10:15 PM

In what sport?

mjnets524
04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
basketball

Olympic Fan
04-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Haven't heard the rumor, but it wouldn't be that surprising. Duke usually has one Ivy on the schedule -- Columbia last year, Penn the year before, Princeton the two years before that.

Why not Cornell this season?

cowetarock
04-20-2007, 11:37 AM
It is certain we can rule out Harvard.

mapei
04-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Why? I would think K might want to help out Tommy by giving him a high-visibility game. Lots of coaches do that for their former players and assistants.

wilson
04-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Why? I would think K might want to help out Tommy by giving him a high-visibility game. Lots of coaches do that for their former players and assistants.

Highly doubtful. In fact, Duke and Michigan allowed their series to lapse while Tommy was coach there. Before the final game of that contract, which had been scheduled before Tommy's hire at UM, K commented publicly how difficult he found it to coach against a former protege. A new series with a school coached by a member of the Duke "family tree" is all but guaranteed never to happen.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-20-2007, 10:47 PM

In a TV interview I saw after Tommy was hired at Harvard, he was asked if he would be playing Duke. His answer was very emphatically "NO!"

Cornellian
04-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Not from a current player or coach, but from the next most reliable source, Cornell is supposed to play Duke next year. Not sure if this is a 2-for-1 deal like Cornell had with Georgia Tech 3 years ago.

Paulus is from Syracuse, 45 minutes away from Ithaca. There is a possibility Coach K may want to play up there for Greg's friends/family in upstate NY. I guess K could schedule the Orangemen in the Dome. But a game at Cornell is fairly close to where he grew up and a virtual guarantee win for the Blue Devils.

ACCBBallFan
04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Using the same rationale, would Duke play the rematch at San Jose St next year to give Demarcus Nelson a home for the hoidays game?

greybeard
04-23-2007, 10:45 PM
1. Probably played against Cornell while at Army.

2. At Army, Bobby's first assistant was a former Cornell guard/Captain, Dave Bliss.

3. Bliss and K coached together under Bobby at Indiana.

4. K won multiple national titles and is at the pinnacle of his profession. Bliss almost went to jail.

5. But for the misstep, Bliss is a terrific guy, a k kid of guy.

6. It was a huge misstep.

7. In the 60's before the downfall, Cornell beat Ohio State and Kentucky in successive years, not to mention Bradley at Princeton, and McMillin and Shorty at Columbia. I hear that they are on the rise again. Go Big Red!

Wander
04-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I hear that they are on the rise again. Go Big Red!

Cornell had bad luck last year - their best player, Gore, was injured first game of the season for the remainder of the year (they won that game, by the way, at Northwestern... Northwestern does suck but that's an impressive win by Cornell's standards). They did end up with the Ivy Freshman of the Year though for the second straight year in Wittman (Gore was last year's FOY), and were in the mix for the Ivy League Title even without Gore. With Wittman and Gore playing together next year, Cornell should compete seriously for the Ivy's NCAA tournament bid, especially when Penn's losses are taken into consideration.

So... playing Cornell is a great idea. Could end up being a better win than most would think.

Cornellian
04-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Cornell had bad luck last year - their best player, Gore, was injured first game of the season for the remainder of the year (they won that game, by the way, at Northwestern... Northwestern does suck but that's an impressive win by Cornell's standards). They did end up with the Ivy Freshman of the Year though for the second straight year in Wittman (Gore was last year's FOY), and were in the mix for the Ivy League Title even without Gore. With Wittman and Gore playing together next year, Cornell should compete seriously for the Ivy's NCAA tournament bid, especially when Penn's losses are taken into consideration.

So... playing Cornell is a great idea. Could end up being a better win than most would think.

You are on the right track here. But a few more facts that will hopefully make the game against this Ivy team a bit more attractive to Duke fans (not that this game is especially important by Duke's standards).

First, Cornell is picked by ESPN.com to win the Ivy next year.

Second, Cornell was a decent Ivy team this past season despite its loss of two starters to preseason injuries. Gore was one of the injured, he was the Ivy 2005-2006 Newcomer of the Year. The other was the team's starting center, Jason Hartford. Both come back next year. Gore was also 2nd Team All Ivy in 2005-2006 as a frosh. In addition to Gore, Cornell returns Ryan Wittman (son of Minnesota Timberwolves coach Randy Wittman). Ryan was the 2006-2007 Ivy Newcomer of the Year and a 2nd Team All Ivy selection. Finally, Cornell returns a 3rd All Ivy player in point guard Louis Dale. So, the team is looking like a preseason favorite-- at least on paper. Of note, Cornell also adds two transfers this season, Collin Robinson from USC and seven footer, Jeff Foote from St. Bonaventure.

JJweMISSu
04-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Are we talking about Adam Gore, if so i know who he is (\my dad coached him in highschool).

JJweMISSu
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Paulus is from Syracuse, 45 minutes away from Ithaca. There is a possibility Coach K may want to play up there for Greg's friends/family in upstate NY. I guess K could schedule the Orangemen in the Dome. But a game at Cornell is fairly close to where he grew up and a virtual guarantee win for the Blue Devils.
Why dont we play Ithaca College then for Paulus lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=175

hurleyfor3
04-24-2007, 11:03 PM
In a TV interview I saw after Tommy was hired at Harvard, he was asked if he would be playing Duke. His answer was very emphatically "NO!"

"Naturally, Harvard's doors are now closed to you, but I'll pass your file along to... Brown."
"Nooooo! Not Brown... Brown.... Brown..."

Cornellian
04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Are we talking about Adam Gore, if so i know who he is (\my dad coached him in highschool).

Cornell's Adam Gore is from Monrovia High School in Indiana.

Here are his numbers from 2005-2006 at Cornell:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/47136/gamelog

He only played the one game against Northwestern in 2006-2007 where he scored 20.

Cornellian
04-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Why dont we play Ithaca College then for Paulus lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=175

This is a game Cornell plays annually with Ithaca to raise money for cancer research.

JJweMISSu
04-25-2007, 03:21 PM
This is a game Cornell plays annually with Ithaca to raise money for cancer research.

i was just messing around.

Cornellian
06-11-2007, 09:59 AM

JANUARY 8, 2008. Confirmed. At Cameron Indoor Stadium. Lacrosse sticks not permitted.

Cornellian
06-11-2007, 10:12 AM
JANUARY 8, 2008. Confirmed. At Cameron Indoor Stadium. Lacrosse sticks not permitted.

Sorry typo-- meant Jan 6!

Olympic Fan
06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Two things:

1. I doubt there's a return game, not even for a Paulus homecoming -- Coach K has said he doesn't play homecoming games for his players.

2. Didn't Duke hire former head football coach Tom Harp from Cornell? Not 100 percent sure on this one, but I think that's right. Harp had a 22-28-1 record in five seasons (1967-71) which doesn't look to bad today, but was the first step down the long slope from greatest under Wade and Murray to today's misery.

greybeard
06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Two things:

1. I doubt there's a return game, not even for a Paulus homecoming -- Coach K has said he doesn't play homecoming games for his players.

2. Didn't Duke hire former head football coach Tom Harp from Cornell? Not 100 percent sure on this one, but I think that's right. Harp had a 22-28-1 record in five seasons (1967-71) which doesn't look to bad today, but was the first step down the long slope from greatest under Wade and Murray to today's misery.

The best thing that happened during my days on the Hill that would be repeatable here is that Harp left Cornell I think after my freshman year, during which I made my bones coining the entreaty of all freshman, "Tro da ball, Tom, Tro da ball." He could recruit, at least for the Ivies, but was oh so unimaginative a coach.

Duke hosting Cornell and Albany; and I thought Cornell's having played Notre Dame in lax this season at my, and Siebald's, old high school on the Island was tops as a recruiting ploy.

Bay Area Duke Fan
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I'd rather see us play Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona or UCLA. Our team needs more of a challenge to get ready for ACC and March. Why beat up on weak teams?

hurleyfor3
06-11-2007, 02:39 PM
So in the last 20 years or so, the only Ivies we HAVEN'T played are Yale and Dartmouth. And I'm not 100% sure we haven't played Yale.

Stray Gator
06-11-2007, 02:55 PM
So in the last 20 years or so, the only Ivies we HAVEN'T played are Yale and Dartmouth. And I'm not 100% sure we haven't played Yale.

It's just a little a reminder from the Duke Athletic Department to all those Duke faculty members and administrators who love to wear their Ivy League college academic regalia like a badge of superiority at convocations and commencement ceremonies that "our honor students can beat up your honor students"... :D

jimsumner
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Whatever sins we can lay at the feet of Tom Harp, a reluctance to throw the ball was not among them. He was the coach of the Leo Hart/Wes Chesson teams that broke pretty much every ACC passing record on the books.

Olympic Fan
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Good point, Jim.

I don't mean to trash Harp, who was a pretty nice guy, and far from a terrible coach. I believe he's the father in law and something of a mentor to current Miami coach Cam Cameron.

I got the dates wrong for Harp -- he was at Duke from 1966 to 1970 (not 67 to 71). He did run a wide-open offense. His QB in 1966 and 1967 was Al Woodall, who later played for the Jets, and he had a first-team All-ACC wide receiver in Dave Dunaway.

He recruited well too -- in 1967 he signed North Carolina's all-state quarterback in 4-A (Brad Evans, the Ron Curry of his day), 3-A (Leo Hart) and 1-A (Wes Chesson). Incidentally, the 2-A all-stater he missed with future ACC commissioner John Swofford, who went to UNC.

Harp also beat out Joe Paterno for QB Rich Searl. He also recruited Ernie Jackson -- Duke's first great black athlete (I don't think he was Duke's first black football player, who I think got hurt and never played). Jackson and Searl became part of the best secondary in Duke history -- Searl was a three-time All-ACC pick, Jackson was a first-team All-American and in 1971, Searl, Jackson and junior Bill Hanenburg were first-team All-ACC picks. The fourth starter, Mike Davies, led the ACC in interceptions!

I guess the game I remember most from the Harp era was in 1970. Duke was 5-2 with a 2-point loss at Florida and a respectable 34-10 loss at No. 1 Ohio State (Duke should have led at the half), plus a win at No. 11 West Virginia (coached by Bobby Bowden). Duke was playing Georgia Tech in Durham and spent most of the fourth quarter trailing 17-16, but in Tech territory and threatening over and over. With about a minute left, Tech intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown.

A very deflated Duke team lost to Wake Forest the next week and Harp was lucky to finish 6-5. It was his only winning season.

That was it for Harp. At the time, Duke made a big to-do about how they had never fired a coach in any sport and that Harp was not really fired ... it was just that his contract was not renewed!

greybeard
06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Whatever sins we can lay at the feet of Tom Harp, a reluctance to throw the ball was not among them. He was the coach of the Leo Hart/Wes Chesson teams that broke pretty much every ACC passing record on the books.

Must be a diffferent Tom Harp. Actually, the year before I got to Cornell, Harp coached a quarterback who was drafted by the pros, the Giants I believe; the guy must have used up Tom's allotment of allowable throws for after he left.

Hey Stray, I wouldn't try arguing with those Ivy League-degreed professors. They don't know from sportsmen; as to debaters, however, they are reputed to be masters! (Sorry, it's an old joke' but, hey, I'm an old guy).

Stray Gator
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Must be a diffferent Tom Harp. Actually, the year before I got to Cornell, Harp coached a quarterback who was drafted by the pros, the Giants I believe; the guy must have used up Tom's allotment of allowable throws for after he left.

Tom Harp was the football coach at Duke during my four undergrad years, beginning in the fall of '66. If I recall correctly, his most memorable claim to fame before coming to Duke occurred when he was coaching at Cornell and attempted to counter the then-recent arrival of soccer-style placekickers by having a player stand on the shoulders of a lineman in an effort to block field goals (a practice subsequently banned). I believe the photo made Sports Illustrated.

greybeard
06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
the player he tried to block in that manner was Pete Gogalack, from Princeton. Pete's brother Charlie graduated Cornell, I think in 63, two years before I arrived. He was the first soccer-style kicker, and had a pro career, as did Pete, who I believe was drafted one/one. The quarterback I'm thinking of was 5'9", Gary Wood is his name; he played some for the Giants. He too graduated before I arrived. When I was at Cornell, Tom had a back, Pete Larson, who was all ivy and played a few years, mostly running back kicks, for the Redskins. He hung out with Sonny and Billy, and would not pass Highlander's righteous-living test, I can assure you. Tom recruited a big time thrower, but the kid never played for him.

BTW, in those years, Cornell did a terrific job recruiting basketball players from what we near the City called Upstate. Several All-Ivy ballplayers who could have played anywhere, including, I think he was from Upstate, David Bliss, who coached and then coached with, K. Bliss was the third best guard on the Cornell team when I arrived (they started three, all were All-Ivy selections, one, Bob Deluca, our version of Verga, 1st team twice). The other two guards were juniors when I arrived; both were from Upstate. They played with a two-time first team All-Ivy Center, Steve Cram. Bliss was a senior. My year, 64, there was a high school All-American guard who was the best leaper I've ever seen and could light it up from well beyond the current three point range (all-ivy three times, first team twice, Greg something). Cornell's recruiting class of '65 had two top 20 high school players, Hank South (Pittsburgh) and Walt Easdale (Hillhouse High in Conn), both of whom were All-Ivy players three years running (one was first team my senior year). South was a more muscled version of Barry Kramer, though at 6'4" a tad shorter, and Easdale was a behemoth (think a taller, 6'7", version of Wes Unseld), with incredible feet, balance, and hands, and the ability to break any press with the dribble, which is what he did. There were two brothers who also were high school All-Americans, last name was Reynolds (father, a Cornell professor); prize recruits in 64 and 65. Forward and guard; both went the way of drugs, or Cornell would have surpassed Princeton and Penn before I left, at least in my opinion. Actually, we almost did without them but Sam McNeil, the coach, would always get outcoached the second time through the schedule.

Then came the campus protests, and the bottom fell out. Good to know that they are back.

I just might try to get hooked up when we play you guys. I'll be the fat bald guy dressed in Cornell Red, with a tad of Duke blue. Later.

jimsumner
06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
The Cornell QB drafted by the Giants was Gary Wood.

Harp deserves a warm spot in the hearts of Duke fans for being behind the single most creative, exciting play in the history of Duke football, the shoe-string play against UNC in 1969.

Why hire Harp when guys like Jerry Claiborne wanted the job? Duke was upgrading its faculty in the 1960s with lots of guys with Ivy League doctorates. Folks who weren't favorably inclined to big-time football and didn't mind saying so. My understanding is that the powers-that-be hoped that hiring an Ivy League coach would mollify the critics. An attempt to have your cake and eat it to.

Duke's football hires since Harp.

Mike McGee, who had a horrible record at ECU.
Red Wilson-small college coach
Steve Sloan-plenty of experience, career losing record, downward trend.
Steve Spurrier-no head coaching experience
Barry Wilson-no head coaching experience
Fred Goldsmith-mediocre record at Rice
Carl Franks-no head coaching experience
Ted Roof-interim head coach for half a season.

Seen in this context, hiring an Ivy League head coach seems like a step up!

SmartDevil
06-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I'll be the fat bald guy dressed in Cornell Red, with a tad of Duke blue. Later.

Aha.....puts a lot in context for readers of the lacrosse board.

YmoBeThere
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
recalling mid-80's and later. Glad to see I still have many seasons and memories to go if life treats me right.

Indoor66
06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey Ymo:

E '93
(Pegram, Central, House H, House H)

Seeing your signature makes me feel old. I worked for the HVAC contractor when HH was renovated in the summer of '67. Spent many hot hours in those rooms and attics.

Cornellian
06-12-2007, 08:14 AM
As a first time visitor to Cameron Indoor-- what should we expect in terms of demand for tickets on a Sunday during winter break when Duke is playing a low-major?

Will the game sell out? I find it odd that Duke is playing a team like Cornell so late in the schedule.

-jk
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
As a first time visitor to Cameron Indoor-- what should we expect in terms of demand for tickets on a Sunday during winter break when Duke is playing a low-major?

Will the game sell out? I find it odd that Duke is playing a team like Cornell so late in the schedule.

Tickets usually sell out to Iron Dukes, even for the winter break games. (Of course, scalpers will have a few, but they're required to charge visiting fans extra.)

There is a Ticket Exchange (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5) forum on this BBS.

-jk

Olympic Fan
06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Why hire Harp when guys like Jerry Claiborne wanted the job? Duke was upgrading its faculty in the 1960s with lots of guys with Ivy League doctorates. Folks who weren't favorably inclined to big-time football and didn't mind saying so. My understanding is that the powers-that-be hoped that hiring an Ivy League coach would mollify the critics. An attempt to have your cake and eat it to.

Duke's football hires since Harp.

Mike McGee, who had a horrible record at ECU.
Red Wilson-small college coach
Steve Sloan-plenty of experience, career losing record, downward trend.
Steve Spurrier-no head coaching experience
Barry Wilson-no head coaching experience
Fred Goldsmith-mediocre record at Rice
Carl Franks-no head coaching experience
Ted Roof-interim head coach for half a season.

Seen in this context, hiring an Ivy League head coach seems like a step up!

Not to hikack this thread, but I think this list is a bit misleading and unfair:

McGee was a very well-respected assistant coach who was at East Carolina for one year. He actually laid the groundwork there for the success that Sonny Randle had. True -- he had just one year of experience as a head coach (and it was a lousy year).

Red Wilson won a national championship at Elon and was a big winner there. He was a former North Carolina high school coach where he established contacts that Tom Butters hoped would help in-state recruiting. Indeed, in his one year as McGee's recruiting coordinator, Wilson landed the best Duke recruiting class in modern history (Charles Bowser, Cedric Jones, Dennis Tabron and company). He did have success -- back-to-back 6-5 seasons in the early 1980s.

Steve Sloan -- long predicted to be Bear Bryant's successor at Alabama, Sloan had great success at Vanderbilt, then went to Ole Miss and flopped big time. He did do a good job of improving the infrastructure at Duke.

Steve Spurrier -- no COLLEGE head coaching experience. He was a successful head coach in the USFL before the league folded beneath him. Plus, he had a brilliant track record at Duke when he was Red Wilson's offensive coordinator.

Barry Wilson -- the less said the better. Nice man ... terrible hire.

Fred Goldsmith -- saying Fred had a mediocre record at Rice is like saying Mike Krzyzewski had a mediocre record at Army when he was hired. He took a program that was as far down as Duke is today and within two years posted back to back 6-5 seasons -- in the old Southwest Conference (which still had Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech). He was the NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR in his final season at Rice.

Carl Franks -- absolutely terrible hire.

Ted Roof -- not a great hire, but given the options at the time -- an aging Bobby Ross, Dick Biddle and a guy who turned the season around after his interim hire, probably the best that could do.

In hindsight, I'd say only Barry Wilson and Carl Franks were indefensible hires, although I agree that Sloan was hard to get excited about at the time. And firing Red Wilson after two 6-5 seasons looks pretty stupid now. But I think to be fair, given the information available at the time, both Spurrier and Goldsmith were great hires (in hindsight, Goldsmith didn't work out, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a very respectable hire).

The decision to hire Harp was a bad one because at that time, Duke football was extremely well respected and AD Eddie Cameron could have hired a number of superb coaches. But the choice of Butters was forced on him by president Douglas Knight, who was trying to re-make Duke as an Ivy League school.

As I said, Harp wasn't a terrible coach, but the Duke program was far worse off in 1970 when he left than in 1966 when he was hired.

watzone
06-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Well, it is an entertaining hijack. Of the eight coaches listed, six have been fired. That's a bit glaring! Of course, one is still here. Whether they were respectable hires or not, the success rate is alarmingly bad. Something is indeed wrong if every coach since Murry was fired, save Spurrier. The late sixties mistake (Harp) haunts Duke to this day.

greybeard
06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
So let me get down to it. Football should be banned. Thank your lucky stars that your school isn't associated with promoting it. The mayheem committed in the name of "sport" is a scandal. We are finally seeing the press (media) begin to address it. The retired pros are coming out of the closet and talking about how crippling the sport is, even to those who leave it seemingly whole. Gumble just did a harrowing piece on the price of concussions. Hello, is anybody listening?

All sports have the prospect of injury, but in football that prospect is of ridiculous proportion. Sports medicine is an oxymoran, and people end up broken in body and many, many in mind. For what? You can't even drink legally before, during, and after games anymore on campus right? What's the point of it. Harp should get a statute, if you ask me. Only leave it in Durham, not Ithaca.

jimsumner
06-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Olympicfan,

Sorry you feel I was being unfair. My point was that Duke has not hired a successful major-college head coach since Wallace Wade was lured from Alabama. And that was even before my time!

Obviously hiring Bill Murray from Delaware and hiring Spurrier worked out. None of the rest did.

For the record.

Red Wilson did not win a national title at Elon. Jerry Tolley won those. Red was a respected high school and NAIA coach but the jump from NAIA to ACC is pretty steep. This isn't like moving from Miami of Ohio or even the Ivy League. Coaches rarely get hired from NAIA to ACC.

Mike McGee was 3-8 in his only season as head coach. 3-8 coaches rarely get hired at schools at a higher level.

Steve Sloan had losing streaks his last five years before being hired by Duke. That's a trend. Coaches with five consecutive losing seasons are rarely sought after. Bear Bryant loved Sloan and Sloan was considered an heir apparent at 'Bama. By the time Duke hired him his coaching career was in free-fall. Probably a better administrator than coach.

Goldsmith. First time I've ever head Goldsmith and Krzyzewski mentioned in the same sentence. :) K was 73-59 at Army, Goldsmith was 23-31-1 at Rice. More difficult job? Could probably argue either way. That said, I have always felt that Goldsmith deserved one more season, a chance to coach a senior-dominated team that he had recruited. It's not like Carl Franks was going anywhere!

Somebody was going to make Steve Spurrier a head coach and Duke was smart and fortunate to get him when they did. The rest of the hires since Murray all have some degree of what-were-they-thinking-head-scratching.

greybeard
06-18-2007, 03:14 PM
If anybody's still reading this, a question just came up that I'm wanting an answer to: checking Cornell's LAX team, I see that the Red's No. 1 assistant coach, who played for Cornell and graduated 98, is a guy named Ben DeLuca. As noted in my earlier post, Bob DeLuca was a two time first-team All-Ivy guard who graduated in '66. Is this Bob's son?

Cornellian
07-19-2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070719/SPORTS/707190315

4decadedukie
07-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Tickets usually sell out to Iron Dukes, even for the winter break games. (Of course, scalpers will have a few, but they're required to charge visiting fans extra.)

There is a Ticket Exchange (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5) forum on this BBS.

-jk

Please do not count on the Cornell game being available to Iron Duke, non-season ticket holders. I checked with Iron Duke’s Office earlier today and was advised that no decision had been made regarding Cornell being a standard “student seating” game. Further, and significantly, classes resume on 9 January; frequently the Sunday game proximate to the start of the second semester has full student (undergraduate and post-graduate) seating.

shadowfax336
07-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Speaking as a current student, there will almost definitely be student seating for a game that day because its the official start of tenting so a lot of people show up for that, and lots of people try to get back that day so they can have fun without classes for 2 days and get ready/buy textbooks and stuff as well. By Sunday night probably 2/3rds of the students were back at Duke this last year and there wasn't even a Sunday game last year.