PDA

View Full Version : Star Blazers

94duke
07-21-2009, 09:06 AM
This started in the Cowboy Bebop thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16567), but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

So...

Well, nothing beats Star Blazers (http://www.starblazers.com/home.php) - or, in its Japanese name, Space Battleship Yamato. I should know, I spent the first go round of the series trying to blast it to smithereens(or at least, the character whose name I've used online for the last 15 years did).

Man, I used to LOVE watching this show as a kid!
Anybody bought these DVD from the site that Deslok listed?
How's the quality?

bluebear
07-21-2009, 10:08 AM
This started in the Cowboy Bebop thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16567), but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

So...

Man, I used to LOVE watching this show as a kid!
Anybody bought these DVD from the site that Deslok listed?
How's the quality?

This was one of my favorite cartoons growing up..I've seen a few clips on youtube, etc..but wish they were on Hulu or itunes..

Deslok
07-21-2009, 10:58 AM
If nothing else, Netflix has them, and some of the extras are worth poking through.

I've been trying to find someone in Asia who has them(at erm... slightly cheaper prices ;) ) but they don't have stuff from that far back in general, and oin talking to 50 or so different DVD shops, only 1 or 2 have even known what I was talking about.

RelativeWays
07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
I loved this show as a kid and I would have killed for an Argo/Yamato toy but they didn't have them at the time. I was also a big fan of Robotech Voltron and Tranzor Z. Now I pretty much hate anime, even though I like video games like Final Fantasyand the like.

Cavlaw
07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Rurouni Kenshin is probably my favorite these days. Also a fan of Gundam Wing (but not the other Gundams), Ninja Scroll, and Lodoss War.

An of course, Akira.

I think I would have liked Yamato.

Ping Lin
07-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Rurouni Kenshin is probably my favorite these days. Also a fan of Gundam Wing (but not the other Gundams), Ninja Scroll, and Lodoss War.

An of course, Akira.

I think I would have liked Yamato.

Sooo....I guess this means you haven't watched any anime in the last decade or so? :p

Cavlaw
07-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Sooo....I guess this means you haven't watched any anime in the last decade or so? :p
Well, there was law school, then there was being a corporate lawyer. I'm catching up now that I have more free time on my hands.

I'm working through Samurai 7, the reimagination of kurosawa's epic flick (on which the Magnificent Seven was based). It's pretty cool.

Lord Ash
07-27-2009, 01:01 AM

Hm. Good taste in that one at least.

;)

Ping Lin
07-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Hm. Good taste in that one at least.

;)

Whaaaa....? Ruroni Kenshin is awesome!

And Cavlaw, since you seem to be into the bushido-blade type of anime, I'd recommend Samurai Champloo as well.

Cavlaw
07-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Just finished Samurai 7. A couple of weak episodes just after the midpoint while they set up the second arc, but otherwise I thought it was terrific.