PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Intakes

Fish80
07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
These guys are linking all over DBR. I've clicked on the link a few times and took a quick look. The air intake product sounds pretty good, although it's a little pricey.

Does anybody have more knowledge about the K&N Air Intakes? Do they enhance performance as claimed?

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
These guys are linking all over DBR. I've clicked on the link a few times and took a quick look. The air intake product sounds pretty good, although it's a little pricey.

Does anybody have more knowledge about the K&N Air Intakes? Do they enhance performance as claimed?
I never look at the add banners and have never clicked on one.

DukeUsul
07-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I've driven Audis for years and hang out a bit at some of their BBS's where there is a pretty large tuning community. From what I've gathered, a cold air intake will bring cooler air into the engine, resulting in denser air with a slightly higher oxygen content per volume. So the engine can run a bit richer, resulting in higher HP. From what I understand, you're probably only going to get an increase of <10HP. To get a real boost you need to compress the air using a turbo or supercharger.

JBDuke
07-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I've driven Audis for years and hang out a bit at some of their BBS's where there is a pretty large tuning community. From what I've gathered, a cold air intake will bring cooler air into the engine, resulting in denser air with a slightly higher oxygen content per volume. So the engine can run a bit richer, resulting in higher HP. From what I understand, you're probably only going to get an increase of <10HP. To get a real boost you need to compress the air using a turbo or supercharger.

My K&N gives my car a lower restriction intake than the normal air filter, allowing more air into the cylinders, and thus more power. I added mine at the recommendation of the guys who did several other mods to increase engine power. These guys raced their cars, and they swore by the filters, saying that the increase wasn't huge, but it was significant, and proven on a dyno. As DukeUsul said, it's not a lot of difference, but in the neighborhood of 8-10 hp, and it's relatively cheap.

Fish80
07-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll let it rattle around in the back brain for a bit.

Just to keep things interesting, now there's a link for AEM air intake.

diablesseblu
07-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Any suggestions for servicing an A4 in the Durham area? Refuse to go back to Leith in Cary. Would like to establish a relationship with a trustworthy, reasonable garage. (Of course..wouldn't everyone? :) )

Lord Ash
07-22-2009, 02:40 AM
K&Ns are pretty good, and you'll see them on the vast majority of serious cars. Mine has one:)

CLT Devil
07-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Back in HS I tried everything to get a few more HP out of my 4runner (not much to start with) - The filter was the best way to add a little for not a lot of money. I also added some exhaust compenants that gave my a lot more HP, but really hurt my torque. Off the line it actually hurt, but once you got going the difference was significant. With my new car I am too afraid to make any changes and throw off the computer's balance...but a KN would be the easiest way to add a litte 'punch.'

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Any suggestions for servicing an A4 in the Durham area? Refuse to go back to Leith in Cary. Would like to establish a relationship with a trustworthy, reasonable garage. (Of course..wouldn't everyone? :) )

I service mine at a place called Gell motors in Wilmington... The guy worked at the Audi factory for 20 years then opened up his own shop. I'm from Raleigh originally but haven't found anywhere that does a better job for anywhere close to the same money.

http://www.gellmotors.com/index.html

OZZIE4DUKE
07-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Back in HS I tried everything to get a few more HP out of my 4runner (not much to start with) - The filter was the best way to add a little for not a lot of money. I also added some exhaust components that gave my a lot more HP, but really hurt my torque.
In college, I had a 1972 Pontiac GTO. I put headers on it :cool: It turned the classic GTO "burble" into a real rumble! :cool::cool: The car was pretty damn fast and sounded great!

pamtar
07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I put a K&M on my boat which has a Monsoon 340. I could tell a small difference out of the hole, but nothing to amazing. However, I will say its a quality product that has held up great.

Indoor66
07-22-2009, 02:28 PM

You might check here http://www.crosseuro.com/

Crossroads is located on NC 55 a little south of NC 54.

diablesseblu
07-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Both CrossEuro and Geller look terrific. Really appreciate these suggestions.

JBDuke
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I moved a bunch of posts unrelated to the topic at hand to the LTE. Let's keep this thread related to K&N filters and/or other legit car repair topics.

elvis14
07-28-2009, 02:08 PM
One thing you can do is purchase a "drop in". This is basically a K&N (or other brand) air filter that replaces your current filter. Lasts a long time as long as you occasionally clean and oil the filter. A Cold Air Intake (CAI) is more invasive and for some cars will give you more HP. I know when I had my WRX there were guys that actually got less HP when A CAI was used, oddly enough, so I just took the drop in route (as well as the catless up/down pipes, engine mgmt, etc). If it matters, you might also want to check and make sure that adding a CAI won't cause you issues with your factory warrantee.