PDA

View Full Version : Espy Awards

Hancock 4 Duke
07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
I was surprised not to see a thread about this. Don Mayer just won the Jimmy V award. Feel free to post information about it, since I missed most of it. Best male athlete was Michael Phelps. Best female athlete was Nastia Liukin.

roywhite
07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
No offense to award winners, but I've had an overdose of the Worldwide Leader and try to avoid it when possible. Many ESPN folks seem to think they are the story, not the contests.

Bluedog
07-20-2009, 08:58 PM
I was surprised not to see a thread about this. Don Mayer just won the Jimmy V award. Feel free to post information about it, since I missed most of it. Best male athlete was Michael Phelps. Best female athlete was Nastia Liukin.

The ESPY Awards happened yesterday. Tonight is just the rerun. I kind of hate the ESPYs. Do we really need the general public voting for best NFL, MLB, NBA, golf, etc. player? Don't we already have MVP awards? It's clearly just a popularity contest and it's pretty obvious who the winners are going to be year in and year out. Not a fan personally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPY_Awards_2009

airowe
07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
No offense to award winners, but I've had an overdose of the Worldwide Leader and try to avoid it when possible. Many ESPN folks seem to think they are the story, not the contests.

I hear ya on the overdose. I've switched to now getting my sports news from other media outlets, just like ESPN, only a couple of days sooner.

mo.st.dukie
07-20-2009, 11:53 PM

I always take a summer break from ESPN, mainly because there are no sports during the summer (baseball doesn't count). However, the ESPY's are the only awards show that I'll ever watch. It's great to see a recap of the year in sports and is more than just who the best player is. I like the stories for the Arthur Ashe Award and Jimmy V award and it's great to see things like best moment, best play, or best team.

COYS
07-21-2009, 02:04 AM
I always take a summer break from ESPN, mainly because there are no sports during the summer (baseball doesn't count).

Ouch, that hurts. What's wrong with kicking back and enjoying the old ball game? That being said, as much as I love baseball, it's a lot harder to watch the sport when you get announcers from the big networks. Joe Morgan: Great player, seems to be a decent guy, but seriously, hearing him talk about baseball makes it hard to believe he was ever good at it.

Anyway, I've never gotten into the Espy's in the sense that I can't bring myself to watch the whole show. However, I do like to catch the highlights from the awards that do interest me. And (as a huge soccer fan) I was ever so happy to see the USA Men's Soccer Team take the biggest upset award for the impressive display against Spain which not only marked the second time the US has knocked off the number one team in the world, but also propelled the US to it's first final in a FIFA tournament while also preventing Spain from setting the international record for consecutive unbeaten matches.

calltheobvious
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Joe Morgan: Great player, seems to be a decent guy, but seriously, hearing him talk about baseball makes it hard to believe he was ever good at it.

Well done. That line reminded me of how much I miss firejoemorgan.com. Morgan really is insufferable.