Wednesday, December 2

Illinois @ Clemson - 7:15pm ET on ESPN

Boston College @ Michigan - 7:30pm ET on ESPN2

Minnesota @ Miami - 7:15pm ET on ESPNU

Duke @ Wisconsin - 9:15pm ET on ESPN

Florida State @ Ohio State - 9:30pm ET on ESPN2

Cavlaw
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, I may have to drive up to Madison.

dukeblue225
07-31-2009, 08:41 PM
when is the full schedule released again?

RainingThrees
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Most of these look pretty good especially these 2. Illinois is on the rise and Clemson lost some players, but Oliver Purnell always gets his team playing very well early in the year. Miami will be without McClinton and Minnesota is getting better with Tubby at the helm, I still think it will be close though. I think Duke wins easy over the Badgers.

Illinois @ Clemson - 7:15pm ET on ESPN

Minnesota @ Miami - 7:15pm ET on ESPNU

bradjenk
07-31-2009, 11:10 PM
when is the full schedule released again?

Mid August. ACC takes a little longer than some conferences because of the TV Deal w/Raycom. Raycom gets the rites and then brokers deals with all the other networks. Since almost all the conference and many of the non conference game get televised it take most of the summer for Raycom and the ACC to sell off all the games and get dates/times finalized. Should all be all done in a couple of weeks.

roywhite
07-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Most of these look pretty good especially these 2. Illinois is on the rise and Clemson lost some players, but Oliver Purnell always gets his team playing very well early in the year. Miami will be without McClinton and Minnesota is getting better with Tubby at the helm, I still think it will be close though. I think Duke wins easy over the Badgers.

Well, it's 4 months away and will be a tough game on the road. Duke does have a great record in this format, but it's a little too early to say about this one, don't you think?

RainingThrees
07-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, it's 4 months away and will be a tough game on the road. Duke does have a great record in this format, but it's a little too early to say about this one, don't you think?

Wisconsin will lose their top 3 scorers in Marcus Landry, Trevon Hughes and Jason Bohannon with those 3 each scoring 10+ a game. Their 2009 recruits will probably be good in a couple seasons but don't appear to be immediate impact players as rivals ranks them both 3 stars I believe.

mo.st.dukie
08-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah, I must admit I was a little surprised and disappointed when I heard Duke would matchup with Wisconsin. I was hoping for Purdue in CIS or even @Ohio State who will be a very good team this year (I can understand Michigan St. playing UNC). Wisconsin is a tough place to play and Bo Ryan is a great coach who does a good job getting players who fit his system but they lost alot from last year and didn't get any immediate impact freshmen.

gw67
08-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Wisconsin will lose their top 3 scorers in Marcus Landry, Trevon Hughes and Jason Bohannon with those 3 each scoring 10+ a game. Their 2009 recruits will probably be good in a couple seasons but don't appear to be immediate impact players as rivals ranks them both 3 stars I believe.

The Badgers lose Landry and Krabbenhoff (sp) but I'm pretty sure that Hughes and Bohannon return to form a strong and experienced backcourt. Leuer is a good big man but the real strength of their team is their coach, Bo Ryan. Like Williams of Maryland, Ryan has won at every level and he continually does it with players who don't even appear on the radars of Michigan State and Ohio State much less Duke and UNC. The game is at Wisconsin and I expect that the Badgers will keep it close.

gw67

Olympic Fan
08-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Count me among those who thinks the game at Wisconsin is going to be tough. Bo Ryan is a very good coach, who has established a program that can maintain itself despite player losses. He doesn't get many prep All-Americans (he gets a few -- Brian Butch, Greg Stiemsma), but mostly wins with a collection of less well-regarded recruits.

Just to confirm, they will lose Marcus Landry, their leading scorer (12.7) and best all-around player, plus Joe Krabbenhoft, their top rebounder (6.7) and No. 5 scorer (8.2).

They were such a balanced team last year that they should be able to make up for those losses.

They return point guard Trevon Hughes (12.1 points, 3 assists), wing guard Jason Bohnannon (10.3 assists) and Jon Leuer, a slender 6-10 guy who plays like a small forward (8.8 points, 3.8 rebounds). Keaton Nankivil, a 6-8, 240-pound junior who was the No. 6 scorer last year (6.2 points, 4.1 rebounds) probably moves into one starting spot (he started off and on last year).

Not sure where the fifth starter comes from. I know that none of their recruits are supposed to be an impact guy and Kelly usually likes to bring his freshmen along slowly. Jordan Taylor and Tim Jarmusz are a couple of young guards who should be ready for more playing time. Or Kelly could go big with 7-0, 270 pound Ian Markolf, 6-11, 255-pound JP Gavinski or 6-10, 240 Jared Berggren. None have played a whole lot.

I think Duke should be favored, but it's a tough place to play and a quality coach with a nice core of players returning -- including his starting backup. They are a lot like Duke in that they don't have a lot of great raw athleticism -- Landry was their best run-jump guy last year ... Hughes, a New York City guy, is about the only one left with exceptional quickness, except maybe for second-year player 6-4 Robert Wilson, who still has to prove himself.

They won 19 games last year and upset Florida State (in OT) in the first round of th NCAA Tournament.

I was surprised by the matchup in that Wisconsin will be picked 5th or 6th in the Big Ten ... plus it's Duke turn to host a home game in the series. Rationally, Duke should have gotten a home game with Purdue or Michigan State (they are the top two teams in the league and both should be playing on the road ... for some reason Purdue got a home game with a Wake team that will be 5th or 6th in the ACC).

Still, it's a game Duke will be have to play well to win.

jimsumner
08-01-2009, 01:18 PM
I agree, Duke-Wisconsin is a bit of a head-scratcher. Duke has had back-to-backs with Illinois, Michigan State, and Indiana, and I was expecting the same with Purdue.

Of course, Duke did host Wisconsin two seasons ago, so maybe Purdue will come to Cameron next season.

dkbaseball
08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Not sure where the fifth starter comes from.

I think most people in Badgerland would expect the fifth starter to be Tim Jarmusz (sp), a 6-7 junior swingman defensive ace. He has been in the rotation since recovering from an injury in the middle of his freshman year, and Ryan really likes him. They will probably play a three-guard set some with Jordan Taylor in there. If Leuer, who actually played well against Duke as a freshman in the blowout at Cameron, emerges as the offensive force people have long expected him to be, this could be a very good team. Another wild card would be two second-year swing men athletes -- Robert Wilson and Ryan Evans. If one or both can earn substantial playing time they could present match-up problems for the Devils with their athleticism on the wings.

In general, Ryan runs the ultimate system, and I don't think Badger supporters expect any fall off this year. Ryan plays his upperclassmen, and every year they lose key people, but just keep plugging in the new parts. And I can't really remember when any visiting team won easily in Madison.

ACCBBallFan
08-28-2009, 04:50 PM
This could be the year Big 10 beats ACC 6-5.

I see four toss up games deciding it with each conference hosting 2 of them:

Michigan St @ UNC
Ohio St vs FSU
Iowa vs VA Tech
NW @ NC St

with ACC favored in 3 games (2 on road)

Duke @ Wisc
Clemson vs Illini (Orange team wins)
Maryland @ Indiana (Red team wins)

and B10 favored in 4 (again 2 home, 2 away)

Purdue vs. Wake
Michigan vs BC
Minn @ Miami-FL
Penn St @ UVA

1103 B10 Michigan St -1 @ UNC -1
1020 B10 Purdue -2 vs. Wake -4
1019 ACC UNC - 1 vs. Mich St -1
0955 ACC Duke -2 @ Wisc -7

708 B10 Michigan-3 vs. BC -8
684 B10 Minnesota-4 @ Miami-FL -9
650 ACC Clemson -3 vs. Illini -6
585 B10 Ohio St. -5 vs. FSU -6

455 B10 Illinois -6 @ Clemson -3
418 ACC Wake Forest -4 @ Purdue -2
338 ACC Maryland -5 @ Indiana -9
314 ACC FSU -6 @ Ohio St -5

302 ACC GA Tech -7 Bye
293 ACC Boston College -8 @ Michigan -3
201 B10 Wisconsin -7 vs. Duke -2
118 B10 Penn St -8 @ UVA -12

040 ACC Miami-Fl -9 vs. Minnesota -4
036 B10 Indiana - 9 vs. Maryland -5
029 ACC Va Tech -10 @ Iowa -10
026 ACC NC St - 11 vs. Northwestern -11
022 B10 Iowa -10 vs. VA Tech -10
011 B10 NW -11 @ NC St -11
000 ACC UVA - 12 vs. Penn St -8

ACCBBallFan
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Both leagues have some good coaches.

Toss-Up games (2 at Home; 2 Away):

Tom Izzo @ Roy Williams
@ Whatza Matta vs. Leonard Hamilton
@ Todd Lickliter vs. Seth Greenberg
Bill Carmody @ the Red Coat

ACC favored (1 Home ? 2 Away):

@ Bo Ryan vs. coach K
Bruce Weber @ Oliver Purnell
@ Tom Crean vs. Sweaty Williams

B10 favored (2 at Home; 2 Away):

@ Matt Painter vs. Dino Gaudio
@ John Beilein vs. Al Skinner
Tubby Smith @ Frank Haith
Ed DeChellis @ Tony Bennett

juise
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I was watching this video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4637371) on ESPN in which two pundits (Katz and O'Neil) debate the best conference in the NCAA. Both had the Big Ten #1, while Katz had the ACC #3 and O'Neil had the ACC #4. This made me wonder if this could finally be the year that the Big Ten is able to win the "challenge."

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about all the Big Ten teams to pick all the games, but I like: Maryland over Indiana, Purdue over Wake, Duke over Wisconsin, Ohio State over Florida State. So that's 2-2 with 7 "I don't knows."

I'm sure this discussion will heat up during the week of the challenge, but I'd be interested to hear if others have any thoughts about the ACC's shances of going 11-0 in the "challenge."

(I will continue to use quotation marks around the word "challenge" until the Big Ten wins one. :))

BlueintheFace
11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
It's gonna be close this year...

Battierfan01
11-10-2009, 09:07 PM
It's gonna be close this year...

Yes, the ACC is "down a little" this year. I do believe this maybe the BIG TEN's best shot in a while to win the challenge.

ice-9
11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
It's too bad that the ACC team excluded from the challenge is a pretty decent one in Georgia Tech. Tech should be playing instead of UVA or State...

wolfpackdevil
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
BOLD teams are my projected winners.

Penn State @ Virginia
- Taylor Battle is one of the top PG's in the Big Ten. They will need some backup help from Danny Morrissey and David Jackson. But Virginia is very poor.

Wake Forest @ Purdue
- Purdue could easily be a title contender with all the returners they have. Robbie Hummel, Chris Kramer, Keaton Grant, JaJuan Johnson and Lewis Jackson are the key returners. They are very overwhellming for Wake Forest, and Purdue plays very well at home.

Maryland @ Indiana
- Indiana is still very young. I think this could be a very close game, because Maryland is very inconsistant. But Vasquez and company are more talented.

Northwestern @ NC State
- As much as I like the Wolfpack, they are pretty bad. Tracy Smith is one of the top Big men in the leauge, but they are very young. Northwestern has Kevin Cobble, who is a very underrated player. Northwestern wins a close game that NCSU is unable to close out.

Michigan State @ North Carolina
- This is by far the best matchup in the Challenge, but I believe that MSU is better. UNC is just too young, and watching them against FIU showed lack of shooting, leadership and ability to win close games in the long run.

Virginia Tech @ Iowa
- Iowa is returning some of their top scorers, and plays really well at home. I don't like VT's ability to win on the road. I like Iowa.

Illinois @ Clemson
- Clemson is returning Demontez Smith, David Potter, Tanner Smith, and Trevor Booker. And they picked up a top recruit in Noel Johnson. Illinois is very average, and Clemson is great at home.

Boston College @ Michigan
- Another really good game, but Manny Harris, Zack Novak, and DeShawn Sims are very very good. Another big ten school that plays very well at home. Michigan wins.

Minnesotta @ Miami
- A Battle of 2 very average teams. I think Miami wins at home with a lot of young talent.

Duke @ Wisconsin
- Duke is loaded with big men like the Plumlees, Zoub, Thomas and others. Wisconsin has a lot of talent, with senior standout Trevon Hughes. But Duke's depth is too much. Duke overpowers the Badgers.

Florida State @ Ohio State
- Ohio State has a lot of talent with Jon Diebler, David Lighty, Evan Turner, and Kyle Madsen. FSU is strong, but is VERY inconsistant. I like Ohio State, who is getting a lot better.

So I have the Big Ten winning for their first time in this challenge. 7 games to 4 games. I do think that the Big Ten is an unbelievable conference this year. And losing 7-4 is not a dissapointment for the league.

Battierfan01
11-10-2009, 09:42 PM
It's too bad that the ACC team excluded from the challenge is a pretty decent one in Georgia Tech. Tech should be playing instead of UVA or State...

I agree with you. How do they decide which team does not play?

DukieBoy
11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm so pumped for the IU-Maryland game because I'll be there. SWEAT GARY SWEAT!!!!!

But I don't think that we'll (IU) win. Still too young. Only way we'll is if we feed off the crowd. Being so young, we get really pumped up for these games.

tysi1521
11-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Penn State @ Virginia
- Taylor Battle is one of the top PG's in the Big Ten. They will need some backup help from Danny Morrissey and David Jackson. But Virginia is very poor.

Danny Morrissey was a fifth-year senior last year so he's gone now but look for big man Andrew Jones to make a name for himself this year. He was very solid in the minutes he saw last year, especially during the NIT run. Sorry, I go toPenn State so I feel obligated to throw in my 2 cents. I also can see the Big 10 winning this year. All 5 of the Big Ten All-Conference players from last year are returning (Battle, Turner, Harris, Johnson, Lucas) and they're all juniors this year. The Big Ten may have been a little weak last year apart from Michigan State but look for them to step up this year.

El_Diablo
11-11-2009, 08:29 AM

GT finished last in the ACC last year...they have to stay home this year.

BD80
11-11-2009, 09:40 PM
State's chances of winning in the challenge have improved, NWestern's star Kevin Coble is out for several weeks

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-11-11/3-pointers-stars-injury-makes-northwesterns-ncaa-road-tougher

Newton_14
11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
BOLD teams are my projected winners.

[
Virginia Tech @ Iowa
- Iowa is returning some of their top scorers, and plays really well at home. I don't like VT's ability to win on the road. I like Iowa.

You may want to rethink your pick on this one. I am watching Iowa against some school named UTSA (University Of Texas San Antonio) and they are beating Iowa at home. Iowa was down 16 at one point but is still down 6 with less than 2 minutes to go.

They do not look good.

ipatent
11-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Wisconsin is always tough at home, and Ryan is a great coach. Could be a tough one.