PDA

View Full Version : Clear.com internet

DukeFencer
07-13-2009, 07:31 PM
There have been a ton of ads for Clear.com internet in Atlanta recently. Anybody know anything about them? According to their coverage map they cover most of the city...

www.clear.com

-jk
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
My mother used Clear for a while in Durham. They delivered the service they claimed.

Can't really say any more or less than that.

-jk

hc5duke
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
My mother used Clear for a while in Durham. They delivered the service they claimed.

Can't really say any more or less than that.

-jk

"Coverage areas" include Atlanta, Vegas, and Portland. Maybe she used another service with the same name, but not this one?

If they are really providing WiMax at $45/mo that sounds like a good deal. I think Sprint's WiMax (Xohm) is $50/mo for comparison. Though personally I would be more weary than excited about this service, without knowing anything about their customer service and possible connectivity issues with a new technology.

-jk
07-13-2009, 08:47 PM
My bad. It was "Clearwire" she used. Don't know if they are affiliated.

Sorry 'bout that.

-jk

DukeFencer
07-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Right now we go off of whatever networks are coming in and out that day, which means sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's crappy and sometimes it goes from one to the other quickly. Some of the reviews of Clear in Portland (message boards, not official reviews) seem like they're saying about the same. For that kind of service, I'd rather be paying $0/month than... anything else. But, that was in March, so it's possible they had just got going and things are better now. I'd love to talk to someone in Atlanta who uses it. Comcasts startup fees are ridiculous, as are their monthly fees. I was looking more at Clear's $20/month plan which could be reasonably split by everyone living in the house.