PDA

View Full Version : Wanisha Smith update

jimsumner
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
From Duke press release

"Longwood University head women’s basketball coach Kristin Caruso has announced the recent hiring of Mike Davis and Wanisha Smith as women’s basketball assistant coaches. Davis comes to Longwood after serving as an AAU basketball coach and skill trainer with Three Point Line Sports (TPLS) in Richmond. Smith was a standout at Duke University and was the 27th pick in the 2008 WNBA Draft by the New York Liberty.

“I am very happy to have both Mike and Wanisha join our Longwood family. They both have valuable experiences that will add to our great staff. Mike and Wanisha both were Division I players and are very knowledgeable about what it takes to be a student-athlete. Also, they have an understanding of the direction that Longwood is headed at the Division I level. I am so excited to add both of them to my staff.”

Smith was released by the Liberty during the 2008 preseason before earning a brief roster spot with the Detroit Shock that year. She finished her career at Duke as the 22nd Blue Devil to reach 1,000 points with 1,256 career points. Smith also ranked fourth on the all-time assist list with 496 and set the Duke freshman record with 154 assists in 2004-05.

She played her first three years at Duke under Gail Goestenkors, one of the winningest coaches in women’s college basketball history. Smith was selected captain of the 2007-08 squad that finished the year 25-10 with a loss in the NCAA Regional Semifinals.

A native of Upper Marlboro, Maryland, Smith was the Washington Post Metro Player of the Year, the Gatorade Maryland Player of the Year, a WBCA All-American and McDonalds All-American in 2003-04. She earned a bachelors degree in women studies at Duke in 2008."