PDA

View Full Version : Question

johaad
07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Alright, I was trying to find the video of Christian Laettner saying that he only wants to be a head coach. While doing this, I came upon an "article" from January 2003. It says that one of our players "got into a physical confrontation with an official after its NCAA tournament loss" in 2002. Does anyone remember this? Maybe I blocked it out, but I certainly don't remember anything like this. Of course, it could just be some writer's hyperbole (they also referenced a certain Duke player and their high school rape accusation). Any info about what may have happened after that game?

By the way, the link is http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-927684/Not-so-royal-blue-Duke.html

BD80
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Is he 6'10", turn green when angered, and refuged in New Zealand?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Matt "The Stormin' Mormon" Christensen approached and bumped the official who didn't call a foul after Boozer was hammered on the last play of the Duke-Indiana Sweet 16 game. The non-call probably cost Duke the game (we were down 1 and Carlos was our best FT shooter) and tempers were running very high. IIRC Matt had to write a letter of apology to the official.

As a side note, that entire play came about after JWill hit an amazing 3 to bring Duke within one, but missed the FT. If Jason had converted that 4-point play and we had won in overtime it would have been one of the all-time great moments in Duke history instead of one of the most frustrating.

Here's an article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney02/story?id=1355859). I'd forgotten how evil the UK partisans were that night. Really one of my least favorite memories as a Duke fan.

du_bb1
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
May be incorrect-BUT-Matt Christensen-after the Indiana loss amy be that to which you refer---
he was expressing his displeasure in the official's obvious vision problem for not seeing a very obvious foul............

johaad
07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Matt "The Stormin' Mormon" Christensen approached and bumped the official who didn't call a foul after Boozer was hammered on the last play of the Duke-Indiana Sweet 16 game. The non-call probably cost Duke the game (we were down 1 and Carlos was our best FT shooter) and tempers were running very high. IIRC Matt had to write a letter of apology to the official.

As a side note, that entire play came about after JWill hit an amazing 3 to bring Duke within one, but missed the FT. If Jason had converted that 4-point play and we had won in overtime it would have been one of the all-time great moments in Duke history instead of one of the most frustrating.

Here's an article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney02/story?id=1355859). I'd forgotten how evil the UK partisans were that night. Really one of my least favorite memories as a Duke fan.

Ok, thanks. I certainly remember the game, just not the Christensen thing. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal though. Thanks for the info though.

weezie
07-10-2009, 08:11 AM
If Jason had converted that 4-point play and we had won in overtime it would have been one of the all-time great moments in Duke history instead of one of the most frustrating.

My stomach hurts at the memory.:(

MulletMan
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
The non-call probably cost Duke the game ...

Actually, Duke blowing a 17 point lead lost us the game. The officials had nothing to do with it, nor is that foul ever going to be called. Ever.

Bob Green
07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Actually, Duke blowing a 17 point lead lost us the game. The officials had nothing to do with it, nor is that foul ever going to be called. Ever.

Exactly! The game was over by halftime until we blew it!

DukieInKansas
07-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Was that the game where Jason was dribbling the ball and talking to the bench and an Indiana player picked his pocket?

I hated that game - I watched it in a bar where I was one of 2 Duke fans. My family put me on suicide watch - which totally cracked me up. (Although I love Duke basketball, I do realize it is only a game.)

SMO
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I like it when the mods enlighten us idiots.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
07-10-2009, 09:58 AM

Oh no doubt. That team had focus issues all season and that game was just the most painful example. Turns out replacing the leadership of Shane and Nate is harder than you'd think. I just meant to indicate that mathematically we seemed to have been given a reprieve by another JWill miracle, only to have it snatched away by a missed FT and a tough non-call. Emotions were high, so Matt's "confrontation" didn't come out of nowhere.

Was that the game where Jason was dribbling the ball and talking to the bench and an Indiana player picked his pocket?

I hated that game - I watched it in a bar where I was one of 2 Duke fans. My family put me on suicide watch - which totally cracked me up. (Although I love Duke basketball, I do realize it is only a game.)

IIRC that was against Maryland in Cole and just before the half Steve Blake (no less) snuck up on Jason as he was talking with the bench, stole the ball and coasted in for a layup to end the half. Ugh, I'm going to stop posting on this thread. Too many bad memories. :mad:

johaad
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Ugh, I'm going to stop posting on this thread. Too many bad memories. :mad:

I'm sorry. Hey, how about Duke vs Arizona 2001? Remember that one instead.:) Remember Loren Woods? Remember Battier's crazy block? Okay, I'm done.