PDA

View Full Version : Posts & Statistics

devil84
07-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Lately I've noticed a lot of comments about moderation, implying that the moderators are very heavy handed. I'd like to share with you a few statistics that you might find enlightening.

Before you read further, ask yourself, over the last two months, what have you read here? We've covered some topics that have provoked a wide range of emotion: the recruitment of John Wall, Elliot Williams transferring, Coach K coaching the Olympics again. What is the tone (positive or negative) of the content you've read? How many warnings and infractions do you think the moderators handed out? (No need to actually post an answer this -- just think about that as you read on.)

We moderators have issued a few warnings:

Warnings:
Month/Mods/Posts/Users Affected
May 4 6 6
June 2 2 2
---------------------------------------
TOTAL 6 8 8

To ensure you're reading this right, over the last two months, 6 different moderators have issued warnings on 8 posts, with 8 different users getting these warnings. No user was warned in both May and June; no single moderator gave a warning in both May and June.

We've also issued infractions:

Infractions:
Month/Mods/Posts/Users Affected
May 7 25 19
June 4 11 10
-----------------------------------------
TOTAL 8 36 29

So in the last two months, with all the EWill, Wall, recruiting, and Olympic talk, 8 different moderators have issued a whopping 36 infractions, affecting 29 posters. Only one poster managed three infractions, and that brand new poster was banned. No individual poster received and infraction in both May and June, though some received two in one month.

So what kind of infractions did we cite?

Category Infraction/Warning
Needless Posting
May 1 0
June 2 1

Lack of Civility
May 9 1
June 0 0

Inappropriate Content
May 5 2
June 1 1

Destructively Negative
May 6 0
June 7 3

Copyright Infringement
May 2 0
June 1 0

Insane and Trolling (Instant Ban)
May 3 0
June 0 0

As you can see, there are really quite few infractions and warnings handed out for the thousands of posts that we see each month. There were 684 posts in the John Wall thread in May alone, and only 9 infractions meted out in that thread.

Of the Insane and Trolling, the three posters had a combined total of less than 25 posts between the three of them before each was banned.

Several posters took a little break because they had amassed enough points to warrant a ban.

In the interest of transparency, it's interesting to take a look at the numbers of infractions over the last few months. Given that there were over 12,000 posts in the last two months, 99.7% of the posts did not receive infractions.

Are we going to open this up to discussion of individual infractions? NO. As the owners of this site indicate, the actions of the moderators are final and not subject to debate. Discussing specific moderation decisions publicly is inappropriate per the rules of this board.

But given that there are people who are noting that perhaps the moderation on this board is currently more than they'd prefer, I'll leave you to contemplate the numbers.

Lord Ash
07-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Sorry I know this is probably a stupid question, but are you a moderator? It just says "sixth man" under your name:)

Bob Green
07-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Sorry I know this is probably a stupid question, but are you a moderator? It just says "sixth man" under your name:)

Yes, devil84 is a Moderator. I'm not sure why it no longer says Moderator underneath the user name, but the same thing is true for my profile.

devil84
07-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Yes, I'm a moderator. And up until today, it said "Moderator" under my name -- not sure how that changed. Thanks for pointing that out!

ACCBBallFan
07-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks for taking the time to tabulate.

As a guy who prefers metrics over off the wall opinions, I appreciate you doing this and commend the mods for trying to keep discussions civil, a thankless job like refereeing where the best you can hope for is to not get noticed.

As you allude once the UK infusion narrows to the few rational regulars who who support UK, I would guess these metrics get even smaller proportionally even though number of posts will go up once season starts in earnest.

SilkyJ
07-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Yes, I'm a moderator. And up until today, it said "Moderator" under my name -- not sure how that changed. Thanks for pointing that out!

Well if anyone is every wondering who the Mods are, just go to the main page of any of the boards and scroll down to the bottom right. They are all listed there.

I don't know what all this talk is about being too heavy handed. Given that I haven't been cited in a while, you guys must be getting soft or not working hard enough :p

JasonEvans
07-09-2009, 09:56 AM
In the wake of that exhaustive research which shows how infrequently infractions are given out, it is worth mentioning the impact of getting an infraction.

I am not sure if all of you know this, but it generally takes 2 or even 3 infractions for a poster to earn enough points to actually have their posting abilities affected. Even then, the penalty generally is lifted after a couple days.

My point is that it takes a LOT of bad behavior for someone to earn a timeout. Perhaps, in retrospect, I should not be telling all of you that ;)

-Jason "thanks to Della for compiling these stats!" Evans

roywhite
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
In the wake of that exhaustive research which shows how infrequently infractions are given out, it is worth mentioning the impact of getting an infraction.

I am not sure if all of you know this, but it generally takes 2 or even 3 infractions for a poster to earn enough points to actually have their posting abilities affected. Even then, the penalty generally is lifted after a couple days.
My point is that it takes a LOT of bad behavior for someone to earn a timeout. Perhaps, in retrospect, I should not be telling all of you that ;)

-Jason "thanks to Della for compiling these stats!" Evans

A yellow card, red card kind of thing.

Thanks for the info. and thanks for the work the mods do.

Indoor66
07-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah, but they always come after me! :o :D