PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hairston transferring to Montrose

whereinthehellami
07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Josh Hairston has decided to transfer (http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/072009/07072009/478142)from Courtland HS to Montrose to play for Stu Vetter and to play with Justin Anderson (who previously left Courtland).

I think this is a good decisoin for all parties excepting Courtland (but basketball is not that big around here). Josh needs to get more aggressive and dominant.

roywhite
07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Josh Hairston has decided to transfer (http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/072009/07072009/478142)from Courtland HS to Montrose to play for Stu Vetter and to play with Justin Anderson (who previously left Courtland).

I think this is a good decisoin for all parties excepting Courtland (but basketball is not that big around here). Josh needs to get more aggressive and dominant.

Thanks for the info; I had heard this was a possibility.

Curious---is this a boarding school? Isn't this a little too far (not to mention the traffic) to commute regularly?

Oriole Way
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Montrose was Kevin Durant's school, no?

FireOgilvie
07-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Yep... and Greivis Vasquez and Linas Kleiza.

Devilsfan
07-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Everytime I read a Duke thread that starts out with a players name and THAT verb it makes me nervous.

airowe
07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Everytime I read a Duke thread that starts out with a players name and THAT verb it makes me nervous.

As optimistic as I am, I felt a little shudder myself.

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I third that feeling at first glance but on Josh i think this will make him a better player so i'm happy for him and i hope he progresses even more.

Mr Blue Devil
07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
My brother called me about 5-6 weeks ago and let me know he and the coaches had met with Josh and he was considering transferring. I am glad he decided to.

My brother said he is an outstanding kid and is going to be great for Duke, and will be even better after a year at Montrose.

I know Coach Vetter has a house that many of the players live in, maybe Josh will as well?

whereinthehellami
07-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Here is a Wiki on Montrose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montrose_Christian_School).

MChambers
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM
My brother called me about 5-6 weeks ago and let me know he and the coaches had met with Josh and he was considering transferring. I am glad he decided to.

My brother said he is an outstanding kid and is going to be great for Duke, and will be even better after a year at Montrose.

I know Coach Vetter has a house that many of the players live in, maybe Josh will as well?

I'm pretty sure they have a dorm, and quite a few of the players live in it. (They have a fair number of foreign players.)

Mr Blue Devil
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm pretty sure they have a dorm, and quite a few of the players live in it. (They have a fair number of foreign players.)

Yeah it is house near campus.

whereinthehellami
07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Here is a really good article by the Washington Post on Stu Vetter (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/23/AR2006122300636.html). There is mention in the article about the house that Stu bought. Seems like a pretty polarizing coach. Probably a good setup for Josh in regard to living up to his basketball potential.

Mr Blue Devil
07-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah my brother said he'll live in the house during the week and go home for the weekends.

He said he is an outstanding kid. I hope I'll get to a Montrose game this year if they play in FL again.

boxofmess2244
07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
So who else is looking forward to seeing what Josh Hairston can do on the court?

His interview -> http://boxofmess.com/?p=3025

RainingThrees
07-29-2009, 10:01 PM
I've seen you on the Duke rivals board. Didn't you interview Andre Dawkins? Impressive that Josh can spell Krzyzewski, I just looked it up on wikipedia. :D

Azdukefan
07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Q:Why did you decide to commit so early to Duke?
A:I committed so early because i knew that that was where i wanted to go…if you know where you want to go…why keep them waiting??

The kid is growing on me. I happen to agree with why prolong the inevitable. I would have committed to Duke in the 5th grade but the problem was they did not want to commit to the ninth man (in an eight man rotation) on a varsity team:(. Seriously, anyone that knows Duke is the place for them can not be all bad. Welcome aboard Josh!

boxofmess2244
07-30-2009, 03:42 AM
He seems like a good guy and will be a good contribution to the team :)

dkbaseball
07-30-2009, 02:39 PM

And Tony Moore's, back in the pre-Vetter days. It was Tony and four little 5-8 guys who couldn't play a lick back then. Guess a Duke recruit gave them a little taste of big-time hoops and they liked it.

jimsumner
07-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Ah, Tony Moore.

6'8", 230 sculpted pounds, could jump out of the gym.

Came to Duke without a clue. Spent three years backing up Grant Hill, Tony Lang, Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek. Fought through injuries, learned some hoops.

After all the time, all the effort, all the anguish, he earns a starting spot as a senior.

And flunks out.

What can you do?

jesus_hurley
07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Good press about Hairston on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4366169

Hairston turns in consistent efforts at both ends of the floor, playing admirable position defense while remaining a shot-blocking threat. He rebounds effectively through positioning, strength, quickness and determination. Offensively, his low-post approach is one of little wasted motion, plus quick and decisive footwork.

dkbaseball
07-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Ah, Tony Moore.

6'8", 230 sculpted pounds, could jump out of the gym.

Came to Duke without a clue. Spent three years backing up Grant Hill, Tony Lang, Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek. Fought through injuries, learned some hoops.

After all the time, all the effort, all the anguish, he earns a starting spot as a senior.

And flunks out.

What can you do?

Tony was indeed a specimen, and one of the least ready recruits Duke has ever signed. Those who complain about recruiting now and compare it to the good old days should recall how we capitalized on two consecutive national championships. The total haul for '91 and '92 -- Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek, Chris Collins and Tony Moore. Arguably, the Chief was the only Duke-caliber starter of the bunch. I'm not sure who dropped the recruiting ball, but it certainly explains about 99 percent of the '95-'97 trough.

The '92 class was just mystifying. Someone can correct me, but besides Collins and Moore, I can't recall anyone they were recruiting other than Richard Keene, who became a pretty pedestrian guard for Illinois. Of course, that was the time period when K was learning some hard lessons about budgeting his time on a much higher level of celebrity.

airowe
07-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Tony was indeed a specimen, and one of the least ready recruits Duke has ever signed. Those who complain about recruiting now and compare it to the good old days should recall how we capitalized on two consecutive national championships. The total haul for '91 and '92 -- Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek, Chris Collins and Tony Moore. Arguably, the Chief was the only Duke-caliber starter of the bunch. I'm not sure who dropped the recruiting ball, but it certainly explains about 99 percent of the '95-'97 trough.

The '92 class was just mystifying. Someone can correct me, but besides Collins and Moore, I can't recall anyone they were recruiting other than Richard Keene, who became a pretty pedestrian guard for Illinois. Of course, that was the time period when K was learning some hard lessons about budgeting his time on a much higher level of celebrity.

And, (correct me if I'm wrong) the last time K was involved with the Olympic team...

MChambers
07-31-2009, 07:32 AM
And Tony Moore's, back in the pre-Vetter days. It was Tony and four little 5-8 guys who couldn't play a lick back then. Guess a Duke recruit gave them a little taste of big-time hoops and they liked it.
Pretty sure Tony went to Newport, not Montrose Christian.

COYS
07-31-2009, 10:10 AM

Hairston turns in consistent efforts at both ends of the floor, playing admirable position defense while remaining a shot-blocking threat. He rebounds effectively through positioning, strength, quickness and determination. Offensively, his low-post approach is one of little wasted motion, plus quick and decisive footwork.

It sounds like those who thought Hairston would improve his stock among the recruiting gurus as he played in higher profile events were right. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Duke Blue.

dkbaseball
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Pretty sure Tony went to Newport, not Montrose Christian.

I think you're right. It was in Kensington, not Rockville. My bad.

RainingThrees
11-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Here is an article about Hairston and his transfer to Montrose Christian. He says that transfering there was "probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life." He also said he has grown an inch in height and has put on 15 pounds of muscle.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/112009/11202009/509059/index_html?page=1

Heelkiller1
11-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Good luck to the kid,hope it works put well for him.Can't wait to see him in blue next year.

Hermy-own
11-21-2009, 09:52 AM

I love that description. I heard that he didn't come on strong at the beginning of the summer, but finished well. It sounds like he is a kid that grows on people over time. And any complement that emphasizes determination and effort gets me hoping that Josh can be Hans, but for Duke.

moonpie23
11-21-2009, 10:14 AM
AY-YI-YI.....the title of this thread........whew...:eek: