PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA Summer League Thread

SilkyJ
07-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Thought it might be worth starting a thread for this.

Box Scores for the Orlando Summer League are here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2009orlandosummerleagueschedule):

Article from ESPN on folks to watch, here (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-26/The-Back-of-the-Envelope-Guide-to-the-Orlando-Pro-Summer-League--Which-You-Can-Watch-Online-.html)

McBob, playing in his 3rd summer league, had 4 pts on 2 of 4 shooting, 0 of 2 from 3 (he couldnt make them in college, now he's jacking them 4 feet further?) to go along with 6 boards, 4 dimes, 3 steals, and 2 blocks...kind of a typical mcBober...does a lot of things, but just isn't a great scorer. But at 6'10 240 with good athleticism, good ball skills and a good bball IQ, you've got to imagine he's gonna keep getting a shot and will hopefully figure it out.

Hansbrough outplayed his counterpart from the '05 recruiting class (they are on the same team now) scoring 17 on 6 of 13 from the field and 5 of 8 from the line....I'll pass on the "he will/won't get those calls in the NBA" commentary for now...one summer league game doesnt say much. Russel Westbrook shot 18 of them in another game, and IIRC someone had 11 fouls last year b/c you can't foul out.

Also noticed that Jimmy Baron is playing for the Jazz. I assume the same one who went off in Cameron for URI.

The Vegas summer league tips off on the 10th. Link here (http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/schedule/index.html)

According to this link (http://www.nba.com/bobcats/henderson_brown_summer_league_090702.html), Gerald will be playing with the TWolves Team in the Vegas league. Never heard of teams combining players, but as you can see from the orlando league, the Sixers and Nets actually combined teams and names...

CameronBornAndBred
07-07-2009, 07:49 AM
McBob, playing in his 3rd summer league, had 4 pts on 2 of 4 shooting, 0 of 2 from 3 (he couldnt make them in college, now he's jacking them 4 feet further?)
The coaches could tie bricks to his arms and make him wear boxing gloves, and he'd still take them.

BD80
07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
... the Sixers and Nets actually combined teams and names...

The Nixers?

The Sets?

I prefer the Sexers. Maybe they could reincarnate Wilt.

RainingThrees
07-07-2009, 09:57 AM
The Nixers?

The Sets?

I prefer the Sexers. Maybe they could reincarnate Wilt.

HAHAHA!!! They wouldn't always win but they would always score big.

SilkyJ
07-08-2009, 01:49 AM
McBob had 10 pts on 3/3 from the field (no 3s) and 4/4 from the line, but only played 10mins.

Hansbro continues to play well scoring 23 pts, with 9 of 10 from the line

gep
07-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Hansbro continues to play well scoring 23 pts, with 9 of 10 from the line

Wow... still picking up fouls in the paint? :D

RelativeWays
07-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I see former UNCG standout Kyle Hines made the OKC roster. Good for him. I hope he gets a shot in the pros somewhere. Not too many Spartans playing pro ball anywhere.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Wow... still picking up fouls in the paint? :D

Pssst.....over here.....keep this to yourself....but, he really does get fouled a lot.;)

Edit: TH hit two NBA 3s- Link to game recap. (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/822076.html)

SilkyJ
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Pssst.....over here.....keep this to yourself....but, he really does get fouled a lot.;)

Edit: TH hit two NBA 3s- Link to game recap. (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/822076.html)

Not that I'm pulling for him, put I'm on record as saying that I think TH will do a lot better than most people seemed to think he would in the pros. He has a jumper, but didn't get to showcase it that much playing Center. I think he can quickly get to an Al Horford type level putting up 9/9 each night.

CDu
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Not that I'm pulling for him, put I'm on record as saying that I think TH will do a lot better than most people seemed to think he would in the pros. He has a jumper, but didn't get to showcase it that much playing Center. I think he can quickly get to an Al Horford type level putting up 9/9 each night.

I think the 9 rebounds may be tough, as Hansbrough wasn't actually that great a rebounder in college. But I do think he'll be at least a decent offensive player in the pros.

jimsumner
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
"McBob, playing in his 3rd summer league, had 4 pts on 2 of 4 shooting, 0 of 2 from 3 (he couldnt make them in college, now he's jacking them 4 feet further?)

The coaches could tie bricks to his arms and make him wear boxing gloves, and he'd still take them. "

Indeed, he couldn't make them in college; 10-36. On the other hand, 36 threes in 69 games doesn't exactly scream indiscriminate shooter.

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Indeed, he couldn't make them in college; 10-36. On the other hand, 36 threes in 69 games doesn't exactly scream indiscriminate shooter.
He wasn't in most of the games long enough to try. :D
I did notice that his minutes went up a lot towards the end of the season, and the Pacers seem to want to hang on to him. I hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

dukeblue1206
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I read McRoberts only played 10 minutes last game because he hurt his ankle and left the gym on crutches. Hope for him that it is just an ankle turn.

jimsumner
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Those are college stats.

He's 0-11 on 3s in 308 NBA minutes.

SilkyJ
07-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I read McRoberts only played 10 minutes last game because he hurt his ankle and left the gym on crutches. Hope for him that it is just an ankle turn.

Ya know i was wondering about that since he started and only played 10mins. But the recap of the game didn't mention him being injured. Hope he's alright.

ClosetHurleyFan
07-09-2009, 11:29 AM

I think you are right, although I think he really might turn out to be more of a 13 to 15 point a night guy and a bit less of a rebounder.

Check out this link, for all the doubters out there. I would love to watch this guy prove everyone wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312575

studdlee10
07-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Who cares, it's summer league. The overall talent is marginal and nobody outside of the longshot players are really trying that hard. I prefer to remember watching Hans struggle his senior year against the physical/athletic type defenders he will see in the NBA.

Don't get me wrong, Hans is better than people want to give him credit for, but I wouldn't use summer league as an indicator....he's playing against guys like James Augustine and Nick Fazekas...

If Roy Hibbert, the ultimate big man scrub in the NBA, can put up 24 and 8, I'm not too worried.

jimsumner
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
A little early to designate Hibbert the ultimate scrub, don't you think?

FireOgilvie
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Gerald played his first Summer League game on Sunday and had 0 points in 18 minutes on 0-3 shooting. He had 2 reb, 2 steals, 2 fouls, and 1 assist. He's playing "on loan" for Minnesota, so it's kind of a strange situation.

FireOgilvie
07-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Gerald didn't play today in the Summer League game for Minnesota. I don't know if there was a reason (injury?). His friend Wayne Ellington had 22 points.

Azdukefan
07-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Gerald played his first Summer League game on Sunday and had 0 points in 18 minutes on 0-3 shooting. He had 2 reb, 2 steals, 2 fouls, and 1 assist. He's playing "on loan" for Minnesota, so it's kind of a strange situation.

I know it is only summer league but I hope that he pans out so I have no reason to wonder "what if?" As if I haven't already thrown that around in my head multiple times already. I am sure my opinion was and is worthless but I truly believe he and Kyle would have had a legitimate shot at battling each other for NPOY including possibly; John Wall, Cole Aldrich, Sharron Collins, Ed Davis, Willie Warren, and others. I am not sure that is something I could have gave up to be an NBA role player.

tommy
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I know it is only summer league but I hope that he pans out so I have no reason to wonder "what if?" As if I haven't already thrown that around in my head multiple times already. I am sure my opinion was and is worthless but I truly believe he and Kyle would have had a legitimate shot at battling each other for NPOY including possibly; John Wall, Cole Aldrich, Sharron Collins, Ed Davis, Willie Warren, and others. I am not sure that is something I could have gave up to be an NBA role player.

Dude, it's ONE game in the SUMMER LEAGUE and you're ready to write him off as a "role player." You're kidding, right?

livehead16
07-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Can we please, please talk about the summer league and not turn this thread into another discussion of G's NBA prospects?

Gerald didn't play today in the Summer League game for Minnesota. I don't know if there was a reason (injury?). His friend Wayne Ellington had 22 points.

I'm curious about today's DNP as well. I hope it was just a result of the he's-playing-for-a-different-team situation. Larry Brown did make a comment about how placing guys on other teams sometimes skews the PT distribution.

Billy Dat
07-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I tuned in to watch the Knicks first summer league game last night - they are playing in the Vegas league. First off, Toney Douglas looked really good. He didn't shoot the ball well but he ran the team like a vet and played his usual tenacious D.

The real surprise was seeing Daniel Ewing on the other side, playing with the Grizzlies. I thought he looked good, but Marcus Williams (UConn) was getting the PG minutes and appears to be the guy they are giving the most serious look.

CDu
07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
DeMarcus Nelson (Bulls) had 14 points and 6 assists (but 5 turnovers) while shooting 4-12 from the field and 5-5 from the line last night in a 95-83 loss to the Warriors' summer team. I don't know if he was guarding Steph Curry or Anthony Morrow, but neither had a good game.

In the interest of full disclosure, it seems like points weren't necessarily hard to come by. Taj Gibson got 14 points 12 rebounds, James Augustine got 21 and 7, and Anthony Randolph went for 42.

Oriole Way
07-15-2009, 04:37 PM
DeMarcus Nelson (Bulls) had 14 points and 6 assists (but 5 turnovers) while shooting 4-12 from the field and 5-5 from the line last night in a 95-83 loss to the Warriors' summer team. I don't know if he was guarding Steph Curry or Anthony Morrow, but neither had a good game.

In the interest of full disclosure, it seems like points weren't necessarily hard to come by. Taj Gibson got 14 points 12 rebounds, James Augustine got 21 and 7, and Anthony Randolph went for 42.

It's definitely hard to guage performances by point totals, especially since guys can't foul out. It's funny to look at the box scores and see guys with 7-9 personal fouls.

I hope DeMarcus continues to get PT and do well. He certainly brings some things to the table, including the tough D you alluded to.

Billy Dat
07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
David Thorpe, the ESPN writer and head honcho of pro hoop player development at the IMG Academy in Florida, is tweeting from the Vegas Summer League and had this to say about Demarcus:

"Demarcus Nelson is such a special athelete as a pg. I think he can learn the skill part of it"

That's a very solid endorsement from someone who really knows what he is talking about.

Watching NBA Summer League is really fun for a hoops junkie. The games are a little rag tag, but the combinations of players, old and young, is like a walk down college hoops memory lane. I was watching the Knicks play the Pistons last night and saw Deron Washington catch an alley-oop from Sean Singletary - an all Virginia ACC connection. Speaking of the DC area, Duke's defense must have been pretty good last year because G-Town's Dejuan Summers was an absolute BEAST in the game I watched yesterday. There's a second rounder that's going to make his team.

CDu
07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
David Thorpe, the ESPN writer and head honcho of pro hoop player development at the IMG Academy in Florida, is tweeting from the Vegas Summer League and had this to say about Demarcus:

"Demarcus Nelson is such a special athelete as a pg. I think he can learn the skill part of it"

That's a very solid endorsement from someone who really knows what he is talking about.

Watching NBA Summer League is really fun for a hoops junkie. The games are a little rag tag, but the combinations of players, old and young, is like a walk down college hoops memory lane. I was watching the Knicks play the Pistons last night and saw Deron Washington catch an alley-oop from Sean Singletary - an all Virginia ACC connection. Speaking of the DC area, Duke's defense must have been pretty good last year because G-Town's Dejuan Summers was an absolute BEAST in the game I watched yesterday. There's a second rounder that's going to make his team.

Yeah, the question for Nelson is definitely not athleticism. It's whether or not he can learn to play PG. That's a big change from basically playing forward in college. But he's pretty much spent the past year trying to learn the position, and the Bulls are likely to stash him on their 15-man roster and use him as a practice player this year. That'll give him more time to learn. Hopefully he can adapt to the position. PG is the hardest position to learn, so it won't be easy. But hopefully he can do it.

theAlaskanBear
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I thought some might like to hear about Curry and the Warriors...

the warriors ended summer league competition with a 4-1 record, after a bevy of high scoring performances by young players.

the very next game after Anthony Randolph (F, LSU) ties summer league record 42 points, his teammate Anthony Morrow (G, GT) eclipses the record with 47 points. they are both 2nd year players, btw.

Curry had a 29 point game and ends the short shedule with just over 17ppg on mediocre (33%) shooting. however, he did average 4 rbs 4ast and 2 stls a game.

Dukies:

Nelson finishes with 13ppg, but with only a two game sample size. 5rbs 3.5asts, 42% shooting.

Henderson just had that one 18 minute outing.

Billy Dat
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Somewhere, Paul Hewitt is saying, "Where the heck was all this a few years ago?"

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jul/17/scoring-record-now-belongs-true-summer-league-rags/
"If there's any true justice in professional sports, the NBA Las Vegas summer league's single-game scoring record will belong to Anthony Morrow forever. Morrow, Golden State's 6-foot-5 second-year guard, took his place in the league's record books on Thursday evening, as a late baseline jumper gave him 44 points in a 104-84 victory over New Orleans. Less than a minute later, his seventh 3-pointer of the night gave him a final total of 47. ... It was only a year ago when Morrow came to the summer league to play for the Warriors with nothing more than a sliver of hope to hold onto. This year, he arrived with a wealth of confidence and a mohawk. ... He started off with 17 first quarter points on 7-of-8 shooting, and once he went into the half with 25 points next to his name, a buzz began to grow inside of Cox Pavilion. Morrow's swagger was at full strength, too. He was calling for the ball and going to work one-on-one against any and all challengers. He'd cross defenders over and drive to the bucket, or he'd hit step-back treys. Everything was falling. 'When he had 17, I said 'You've gotta break that and get at least 50 so we can go home one and two (in the record books),' said Warriors forward Anthony Randolph, who tied the old record of 42 on Tuesday against Chicago."

CDu
07-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Dukies:

Nelson finishes with 13ppg, but with only a two game sample size. 5rbs 3.5asts, 42% shooting.

Henderson just had that one 18 minute outing.

The summer league isn't over yet. Nelson and the Bulls have three more games. And as long as Henderson is still on loan with the Timberwolves, he still has games to play. The Warriors are done simply because of the staggered scheduling.

theAlaskanBear
07-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Ahh thanks for teh clarification...

CDu
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Ahh thanks for teh clarification...

No problem. It is definitely confusing. I went to the web to see how the Bulls were doing last week, and found out that they didn't play until the 3rd or 4th day of the event.

theAlaskanBear
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
No problem. It is definitely confusing. I went to the web to see how the Bulls were doing last week, and found out that they didn't play until the 3rd or 4th day of the event.

Whats your take on teh Bulls this year?

I thought their draft was decent, getting some size and scoring. I may be wrong, but I perceive Johnson as having a similar game to Summers from Georgetown and could develop into a good swing forward scorer and with Salmons/Rose/Heinrich, thats not a terrible backcourt. I think alot will depend on how Deng comes back from his injury. I still root for them sometimes even though Duhon (my favorite player, and yours I presume?) is in New York now.

SilkyJ
07-17-2009, 10:32 PM
G went (http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900039) 3-10 for 6 points, 4 boards and 2 steals. Ellington continued his hot streak going for 19 on 4-9 from deep.

Demarcus also struggled (http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900040) going 3-10 and 3-5 from the line.

CDu
07-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Whats your take on teh Bulls this year?

I thought their draft was decent, getting some size and scoring. I may be wrong, but I perceive Johnson as having a similar game to Summers from Georgetown and could develop into a good swing forward scorer and with Salmons/Rose/Heinrich, thats not a terrible backcourt. I think alot will depend on how Deng comes back from his injury. I still root for them sometimes even though Duhon (my favorite player, and yours I presume?) is in New York now.

I liked the pick of Johnson. I agree that he provides a good deal of versatility and offensive potential at both forward spots. The concern is consistency with him. I didn't particularly care for the Gibson pick. With Noah and Thomas already on the roster, I didn't think they needed another skinny shotblocker with no offensive skill. Especially when Blair and Toney Douglas were still available. In fact, even Ellington (and I shudder saying that) made more sense, as a taller SG. Sam Young would have worked too.

It's hard to say what the Bulls will do this year. With the roster as is, I think they'll be a bit better than last year. With a full season of Miller and Salmons, better health from Hinrich and Deng, and further improvement from Rose, Noah, and Thomas, there's hope. But they did lose their biggest offensive weapon in Gordon. It's just hard to say how that will affect floor spacing and the overall offense. I'd guess the team would finish around .500 this year if they don't do anything more.

Poincaré
07-18-2009, 10:57 AM
It's just a gut feeling, but wouldn't you say that you would expect him to make his contributions only on defense for the first few years and then take a leap once he refines his jump-shot? I predict a Dahntay-like career arc. I really wish he hadn't gone to the Bobcats' terrible organization though...

NSDukeFan
07-18-2009, 02:00 PM
It's just a gut feeling, but wouldn't you say that you would expect him to make his contributions only on defense for the first few years and then take a leap once he refines his jump-shot? I predict a Dahntay-like career arc. I really wish he hadn't gone to the Bobcats' terrible organization though...

I certainly have higher expectations offensively for G than I do for Dahntay, though it may take a few years. I expect him to play right away (in an 8 or 9 man rotation) due to D and his explosiveness offensively. I think G's jumper is pretty refined for a slasher/scorer more than a shooter. I don't think G will make his living just from his jumper, so I think it is good enough now for him to play.

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2009, 02:50 PM
The Vegas Summer league wrapped up, and DeMarcus Nelson started all of his games with the Bulls. His stats improved with each and hopefully he has once again shown the powers that be he deserves to be on an NBA roster.

"Today went well for me out there. The biggest thing was that we wanted to come out and get the win, and we did that," said Nelson of the game. "I came out and played well, i just made it my priority to get the ball to our guys, and I saw opportunities for myself out there, too."

Here is a recap of the last game. http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/20090719/MINCHI/recap.html

SilkyJ
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
The Vegas Summer league wrapped up, and DeMarcus Nelson started all of his games with the Bulls. His stats improved with each and hopefully he has once again shown the powers that be he deserves to be on an NBA roster.

"Today went well for me out there. The biggest thing was that we wanted to come out and get the win, and we did that," said Nelson of the game. "I came out and played well, i just made it my priority to get the ball to our guys, and I saw opportunities for myself out there, too."

Here is a recap of the last game. http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/20090719/MINCHI/recap.html

G didn't see any action in that game, but in the prior game on Saturday he had his best outing playing 16min,s going 6-11 for 12pts.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900045