PDA

View Full Version : Roscoe Smith

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bsim412
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
On rivals.com it says that Duke has offered Roscoe Smith. Smith says he has the Blue Devils high on his list. :)

http://duke.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=2&pr_key=68256

houstondukie
07-03-2009, 02:48 PM
On rivals.com it says that Duke has offered Roscoe Smith. Smith says he has the Blue Devils high on his list. :)

http://duke.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=2&pr_key=68256

He lists Duke, Florida, Georgetown, UCONN, and Maryland as his top 5. Interesting that UNC is no longer in the picture. Plans on making a trip to Duke in August.

RazzyBailey31
07-03-2009, 05:51 PM
He's been offered.

JasonEvans
07-03-2009, 06:18 PM
He's been offered.

Ummmm, yeah. That is what the opening post in the thread said.

-Jason

RazzyBailey31
07-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Ummmm, yeah. That is what the opening post in the thread said.

-Jason

And ummm, many times Rivals and Scout are not accurate or up to date on who's been offered and who hasn't. I'm saying he definetly has been.

Bsim412
07-03-2009, 07:06 PM
It seems that Roscoe has been waiting for this offer for a long time. Maybe he could commit to Duke in August during his visit but who knows. This is great news though because Roscoe is a very good player but I'm surpired Duke didn't offer Dominque Ferguson instead of Smith but both are great players so you can't go wrong with either one. Roscoe is very happy to be offered by Duke seeing on the link I posted before that Duke is high on his list. :)

Bob Green
07-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm saying he definetly (sic) has been.

Can you provide a link to a source? How do we know that you know he has definitely been offered a scholarship?

houstondukie
07-03-2009, 07:15 PM
And ummm, many times Rivals and Scout are not accurate or up to date on who's been offered and who hasn't. I'm saying he definetly has been.

And you are more accurate/credible than Rivals and/or Scout?

roywhite
07-03-2009, 08:10 PM
And you are more accurate/credible than Rivals and/or Scout?

I'd say so.

1. Rivals and Scout are not always accurate.
2. I'd vouch for Razzy

Additionally, some of the regulars are being a little sarcastic and unkind here. No need for this.

houstondukie
07-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd say so.

1. Rivals and Scout are not always accurate.
2. I'd vouch for Razzy

Additionally, some of the regulars are being a little sarcastic and unkind here. No need for this.

I apologize, just having a little fun w/ sarcasm.

RazzyBailey31
07-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Can you provide a link to a source? How do we know that you know he has definitely been offered a scholarship?

Nope. Sure can't. Guess you'll have to take my word for it. Next time I'll be sure to not type in a hurry before leaving work so all words are spelled correctly. I sure would hate to misspell a word on here again.

Bob Green
07-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Nope. Sure can't. Guess you'll have to take my word for it. Next time I'll be sure to not type in a hurry before leaving work so all words are spelled correctly. I sure would hate to misspell a word on here again.

Like houstondukie, I was just having fun so I've no problem saying sorry if you really took offense. I'll take your word on the offer. It would be nice to see Roscoe Smith accept sooner rather than later.

RazzyBailey31
07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
None at all. Just havin some fun. Have to say I'm loving the wide net recruiting approach K has adjusted to. 2010 is going to be a monster class.

roywhite
07-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Roscoe Smith played at a high school in Baltimore, and is transferring to Oak Hill this year. Based on what I read, he sounds like a versatile player and potentially an outstanding defender.

Perhaps 3 more (a PG, Barnes, and another front court player?) to add to the 3 already commited for 2010? And Seth Curry, too. Nice.

brevity
07-03-2009, 09:15 PM

Proper spelling or not, please post a link to a source whenever it does become available. If you're close or even local to the situation, then you'll probably be aware of the news (offers, impressions of official visits, signings) before many of us are. Fair enough?

To me, high school recruiting has become the most important part of college basketball, even as it remains the least interesting part. There's a lot of misinformation out there, and people (even here) who go nuts at some carefully selected and edited YouTube coverage. The downside of having a savior mentality, I suppose.

Welcome to the board. In any given thread, you can see how many posts a contributing member has ever made. It's sort of an unofficial measure of how jaded they may be when it comes to recruiting hype.

Devilsfan
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
It's nice to have more than one basket for our eggs. Good recruiting move.

Bsim412
07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
This means Duke has offered eight players now

Commits:
Andre Dawkins
Josh Hairston
Tyler Thornton

Considering and Offered:
Harrison Barnes
Brandon Knight
Kyrie Irving
Josh Smith
Roscoe Smith

roywhite
07-06-2009, 12:47 PM
This means Duke has offered eight players now

Commits:
Andre Dawkins
Josh Hairston
Tyler Thornton

Considering and Offered:
Harrison Barnes
Brandon Knight
Kyrie Irving
Josh Smith
Roscoe Smith

Have also seen stories indicating Duke is additionally interested in:

Ray McCallum -- PG from Detroit area (Shane's old school)
Joe Jackson -- PG from Memphis area (friend of Elliot's; lean to Memphis?)
Dominique Ferguson---forward from Indianapolis

So we might not be done looking and evaluating

budwom
07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Proper spelling or not, please post a link to a source whenever it does become available. If you're close or even local to the situation, then you'll probably be aware of the news (offers, impressions of official visits, signings) before many of us are. Fair enough?

To me, high school recruiting has become the most important part of college basketball, even as it remains the least interesting part. There's a lot of misinformation out there, and people (even here) who go nuts at some carefully selected and edited YouTube coverage. The downside of having a savior mentality, I suppose.

Welcome to the board. In any given thread, you can see how many posts a contributing member has ever made. It's sort of an unofficial measure of how jaded they may be when it comes to recruiting hype.

Sources are like sausages: many of the good ones don't have links.

ChicagoCrazy84
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
This all makes sense. If there was ever a year to have such a wide net for Duke, 2010 is it. How many open scholarships will we have? 6-7? Playing time definitely won't be a concern for any of these guys, they will basically be the future of the program. Andre Dawkins should be on the phone sealing the deal with them! It should be a good summer and fall for us.

Go Duke!

mo.st.dukie
07-06-2009, 01:45 PM
This all makes sense. If there was ever a year to have such a wide net for Duke, 2010 is it. How many open scholarships will we have? 6-7? Playing time definitely won't be a concern for any of these guys, they will basically be the future of the program. Andre Dawkins should be on the phone sealing the deal with them! It should be a good summer and fall for us.

Go Duke!

Plus, if Coach K does indeed coach the Olympic team again, wrapping up a 6 man class for '10 would take pressure off of landing big classes in '11 and '12 (when the Olympic commitment will be over). The 09 and 10 class (assuming 6 commits for '10) would carry Duke through the 2012 Olympics while adding 1 or 2 guys for '11 and '12 to replace any early departures.

SilkyJ
07-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Plus, if Coach K does indeed coach the Olympic team again, wrapping up a 6 man class for '10 would take pressure off of landing big classes in '11 and '12 (when the Olympic commitment will be over). The 09 and 10 class (assuming 6 commits for '10) would carry Duke through the 2012 Olympics while adding 1 or 2 guys for '11 and '12 to replace any early departures.

Very interesting point, I had not thought about it that way. Would make K's life a lot easier, and I think many folks' around here less stressful.

Bsim412
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Here is a link from scout.com about Roscoe Smith

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=877524&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f877 524.html

airowe
08-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Link (http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/20/boost-mobile-profiles-leslie-selby-smith-pressey/#more-20962)

Roscoe Smith, a 6-7 SF out of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, also has a long list.

He mentioned UConn, Duke, Florida, Kentucky and LSU and said he planned to take several unofficials before school starts.

“After Friday I will be making some unofficial visits,” he said. “I’m going to pick out the school that I’m going to commit to going on the middle of my Oak Hill season.”

gotham devil
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria

Oak HIll forward Roscoe Smith will visit Duke unofficially Sept. 6
33 minutes ago from web

airowe
08-31-2009, 09:14 PM

33 minutes ago from web

Thanks for the info and link. I don't really see Roscoe coming here unless we miss on Harrison Barnes, but I could be wrong. I was under the assumption that even if we did get Barnes, the staff would save a scholarship for Quincy Miller, but that's probably planning too far in the future, especially with a talent like Barnes, who could make the jump after a season.

RelativeWays
08-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Whether or not Roscoe Smith is a back up for HB or not, I hope he is not treated as such. From everything I've read, the kid is a talent. Losing Barnes would be a big blow, but getting Roscoe Smith would help a bit. I have read that he seems to have a bit of a Uconn lead. Don't know if thats true at all.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Is it possible to have Roscoe, HB and a point guard.

airowe
08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Is it possible to have Roscoe, HB and a point guard.

I'm pretty sure that was a question so I'll answer it. Yes, it is possible.

Out of 13 Scholarships in '10-'11:

Definites
Andre Dawkins
Seth Curry
Miles Plumlee
Mason Plumlee
Ryan Kelly
Nolan Smith
Tyler Thornton
Josh Hairston
Olek Czyz

Possibles
Kyle Singler
Harrison Barnes
Kyrie Irving

This leaves one slot for someone else in this class if everyone listed above stays. If Kyle is gone, that leaves two, but I doubt we would use up that scholarship for the '10 class as we have a number of targets the following year in:

Austin Rivers
Brad Beal
Marshall Plumlee
Quincy Miller
Etc, etc

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Yea it was a question but i would def. rather have Josh Smith.

jesus_hurley
08-31-2009, 11:34 PM

33 minutes ago from web

Here's a little more info:
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/31/smith-to-visit-duke-fordhams-gaston-eligible-varnado-injured-syracuse-camp/

Bob Green
09-01-2009, 03:59 AM

Why? Summer reports indicate Josh Smith is pushing 300 pounds and unable to run the court. Now I'll take those reports with a grain of salt seeing as I've not seen him personally, but I cannot completely dismiss what I've read via multiple sources. Moreover, Josh Smith is considered a west coast lean and a longshot.

Personally, I would be elated with a commitment from Roscoe Smith. He appears to be a bigtime talent.

airowe
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM

I think you have positions mixed up like you do with Kyrie vs. Seth Curry in Kyrie's thread.

Josh Smith is a PF/C and Roscoe Smith is a SF. What other reasons would make you want Josh Smith over Roscoe Smith?

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Well first it's just my opinion second I think Josh is a better player and would be a better addition to Duke than Roscoe. I would love to have Roscoe but if i had to choose i would choose Josh Smith.

I know everyone say's he's a Westcoast lean but even JS said in his interviews it wasn't true and Duke is on his list of school so i don't see how we're a longshot.

rotogod00
09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Well first it's just my opinion second I think Josh is a better player and would be a better addition to Duke than Roscoe. I would love to have Roscoe but if i had to choose i would choose Josh Smith.

I know everyone say's he's a Westcoast lean but even JS said in his interviews it wasn't true and Duke is on his list of school so i don't see how we're a longshot.

Personally agree with you. If Smith gets himself in shape, he may be the our most important recruiting target after an elite point guard. That said, I do think he'll stay on the West Coast.

thewiseben
09-01-2009, 11:27 AM

I don't think Josh and Roscoe have much in common at all, I don't see why you're arguing this as an either/or...

If we're going after Josh, (which I didn't think we were very hard), its not at the expense of recruiting Roscoe, and the reverse is also true.

They play different positions and very different games. Comparing a PF with a Wing does a disservice to both players.

flyingdutchdevil
09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't think Josh and Roscoe have much in common at all, I don't see why you're arguing this as an either/or...

If we're going after Josh, (which I didn't think we were very hard), its not at the expense of recruiting Roscoe, and the reverse is also true.

They play different positions and very different games. Comparing a PF with a Wing does a disservice to both players.

While I agree that their games don't overlap, it's important to keep in mind that a) there are only a finite number of scholies to give out, b) there are only a finite number of assistant coaches and one head coach (who happens to have a ridiculous schedule) to evaluate players and c) playing time is a huge factor, especially at a school like Duke where players often play out of position, and thus a SF/PF could take minutes from a PF/C. Thus, I don't think it's unfair to say, "I would rather we go for player x than player y." Resources are scarce, so use them wisely...

Kedsy
09-01-2009, 11:49 AM

If you start with the assumption/hope that we sign our top two targets (HB & KI) then the only way we can take two additional players is if Kyle leaves. And even if the staff thinks Kyle is leaving, conventional wisdom seems to believe we'll save his scholarship for a 2011 recruit.

Thus, for practical purposes we only have one scholarship available if we sign our top two targets, which means it could very easily wind up an either/or for Josh and Roscoe (or any two additional recruits vying for the last spot).

Obviously if we don't snag the top two guys on our wish list things are very different.

Bud
09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Niether Roscoe Smith or Josh Smith will be playing at Duke. IMO

SilkyJ
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Dude, he's a long shot and the fact that he isn't discussed all that much on the boards should tell you that the staff isn't pursuing him all that hard either. Besides, between the plumlees, kelly, hairston, and olek if he develops, I think our front court rotation is looking solid for the next couple years.

Kedsy
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Niether Roscoe Smith or Josh Smith will be playing at Duke. IMO

Thanks for setting us straight.

Bud
09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I try. No but really I know Josh Smith will stay out west. And I will be shocked if Roscoe Smith commits to us. Duke want's Barnes and Irving then they will focuse on 2011.

SilkyJ
09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I try. No but really I know Josh Smith will stay out west. And I will be shocked if Roscoe Smith commits to us. Duke want's Barnes and Irving then they will focuse on 2011.

Hey, if it all goes down like that, I think we'd all be VERY happy.

jv001
09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
From me if we land HB and KI. But it sure would make me feel better if we had a shot at Smith in case we don't get Harrison. Too many is better than not enough. Go Duke!

Bud
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Both Josh and Roscoe have offers but Duke is not recruiting them hard. I would be thrilled with Barnes and Irving. Then Duke could move on to Miller, MP3, and Rivers for 2011.

airowe
09-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Both Josh and Roscoe have offers but Duke is not recruiting them hard. I would be thrilled with Barnes and Irving. Then Duke could move on to Miller, MP3, and Rivers for 2011.

There is some debate on the offer situation for Roscoe at least and has actually been refuted by a number of in the know people on TDD. Nonetheless, consider this situation:

We get Harrison and Kyrie and Kyle stays. For the '10-'11 season we have:

Post Players
MP1
MP2

Tweeners
Kyle Singler
Harrison Barnes
Ryan Kelly
Josh Hairston
Olek Czyz

Guards
Nolan Smith
Andre Dawkins
Seth Curry
Kyrie Irving
Tyler Thornton

That's 12 guys out of 13 scholarships. If Kyle stays. We don't know how Czyz, Hairston, and the MPs will develop. Would it not be prudent of K and the staff to further solidify our tweeners with a commitment from Roscoe so as to alleviate any lack of development from one of these guys, especially if Kyle leaves? I would rather us get a sure thing in '10-'11 than wait for a maybe the next year, but that could just be me...

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I was questioned as to why i would rather have RS then JS so i explained.

Bud
09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes I know I have also herd from reliable sources that he does not have an offer. It is a wierd situation but like I said I feel good about where Duke stands with Barnes. If Barnes commits to Duke which I think in the end he will I don´t see Roscoe comming to Duke I would rather have Quincy Miller in 2011 anyway this kid is going to be a stud.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Alright well look how are we saying were saving an offer for 2011 if we offered JS BK HB KI. Now I know only one point guard will likly come to Duke but that leaves two more so if JS does come that takes away our offer from 2011.

airowe
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I was questioned as to why i would rather have RS then JS so i explained.

I thought you wanted JS rather then(sic) RS. This is all getting very confusing.

JaMarcus Russell
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Assuming that Duke signs 5 players this year, there will be 11 scholarship players for the 2011-12 season, before we count recruits.

There will be 5 sophomores, 4 juniors, and 2 seniors (Czyz and Miles), so there will be only 2 spots left. However, given the past history of transfers, no one should be surprised if someone decides to transfer due to lack of playing time. Besides, there is always a chance of one of the better players leaving early for the NBA. I am sure the coaches know whether there are players who are considering leaving the program, so I could definitely see the staff taking 3 more players this year, along with three guys in 2011.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I thought you wanted JS rather then(sic) RS. This is all getting very confusing.

Yes, Yes i very sorry i meant JS rather then RS sorry again.

Bud
09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Okay I think Roscoe does not have an official offer but I believe it might be one of those situations where if he want's to come there may be a spott for him.

verga
09-01-2009, 11:06 PM
If i understand the so-called consensus, Duke would be happy (thrilled actually) with Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving in the 2010 class. But, what happens if Roscoe Smith blows up during the year? I would think K, would then offer (a real offer) Roscoe, suppose Josh Smith, drops 35 lbs. and gets in shape and wants to come (stranger things have happened)? What about Brandon Knight, you see where i'm going with this? There are so many things that can and probably will happen before the season is over. Here's what i think (jmo) will happen, i believe we'll get Harrison Barnes, the reason, he's shown interest in Duke, above the norm. I also think we'll get Kyrie Irving, if we miss on Kyrie, we'll go hard after Knight. The key players in this scenario (to me) are Barnes and Quincy Miller. I believe those 2 players will lead us to great heights but, hey, jmo. I know no one has the answer but its what makes bball recruiting exciting.

airowe
09-01-2009, 11:25 PM
If i understand the so-called consensus, Duke would be happy (thrilled actually) with Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving in the 2010 class. But, what happens if Roscoe Smith blows up during the year? I would think K, would then offer (a real offer) Roscoe, suppose Josh Smith, drops 35 lbs. and gets in shape and wants to come (stranger things have happened)? What about Brandon Knight, you see where i'm going with this? There are so many things that can and probably will happen before the season is over. Here's what i think (jmo) will happen, i believe we'll get Harrison Barnes, the reason, he's shown interest in Duke, above the norm. I also think we'll get Kyrie Irving, if we miss on Kyrie, we'll go hard after Knight. The key players in this scenario (to me) are Barnes and Quincy Miller. I believe those 2 players will lead us to great heights but, hey, jmo. I know no one has the answer but its what makes bball recruiting exciting.

Verga, your post is way too rational for this thread. I can't even really wrap my head around it. :rolleyes:

gotham devil
09-01-2009, 11:25 PM
There is some debate on the offer situation for Roscoe at least and has actually been refuted by a number of in the know people on TDD.

1) Have any of those "in the know people on TDD" actually spoken with Roscoe Smith or his very protective father, Brian?

2) Do you think that any of those same people have received pertinent information directly from Krzyzewski, Wojciechowski, Collins, James, Carrawell or Spatola, with or without the knowledge that these same "in the know people on TDD" would then betray them by putting the program's recruiting information directly onto a public message board?

JaMarcus Russell
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
If Irving signs in the early period, I can't imagine any top point guards will have interest in Duke (Knight, McCallum, etc). The Wall/Bledsoe situation was pretty unique last year.

Also, everyone seems to think that Josh Smith is deciding between UCLA and Washington. I also wouldn't count on him losing 35 pounds since his weight gain and general sluggishness has caused his stock to fall more than just about any top recruit in the past few months.

airowe
09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
1) Have any of those "in the know people on TDD" actually spoken with Roscoe Smith or his very protective father, Brian?

2) Do you think that any of those same people have received pertinent information directly from Krzyzewski, Wojciechowski, Collins, James, Carrawell or Spatola, with or without the knowledge that these same "in the know people on TDD" would then betray them by putting the program's recruiting information directly onto a public message board?

1)No idea.

2)No idea. I may be naive here, but I don't believe that refuting a statement that an offer has been made would be betraying the staff. They never said yes or no, only that they haven't heard that it was the truth. This is why I spoke in such delicate terms in my quoted post. I'm only saying that there is a debate as to whether he has or hasn't been offered.

See Scout: http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2010

No offer.

See Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/basketball/recruiting/player-Roscoe-Smith-68256

Offer.

:confused:

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
I think it's an all or nothing deal with HB and KI. I know they want to play together so I think if one commits the other one does.

Kedsy
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I think it's an all or nothing deal with HB and KI. I know they want to play together so I think if one commits the other one does.

Well, since Duke is the only school on both of their lists, if one of them goes elsewhere then Duke should have as much of a chance at the second one as anybody else (since in that case they won't play together no matter what happens). Although I think the idea of getting to play together is a plus for Duke, I don't know why you'd say it's "all or nothing."

A lot of top rated high school kids like the idea of playing with other kids they've met on the circuit, but they almost never make their decision based on what the other kids do. Unless they're twin brothers or something. Look at G and Ellington. I'm sure they would have liked to have played on the same team, but look where they ended up?

Each kid has to do what's best for him, and at this level there's no way HB and KI consider themselves a "package deal." People are giving way too much significance to a couple chance comments made in informal interviews.

airowe
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, since Duke is the only school on both of their lists, if one of them goes elsewhere then Duke should have as much of a chance at the second one as anybody else (since in that case they won't play together no matter what happens). Although I think the idea of getting to play together is a plus for Duke, I don't know why you'd say it's "all or nothing."

A lot of top rated high school kids like the idea of playing with other kids they've met on the circuit, but they almost never make their decision based on what the other kids do. Unless they're twin brothers or something. Look at G and Ellington. I'm sure they would have liked to have played on the same team, but look where they ended up?

Each kid has to do what's best for him, and at this level there's no way HB and KI consider themselves a "package deal." People are giving way too much significance to a couple chance comments made in informal interviews.

Great points. I'm guilty of reading between the lines too much as well. I try not to, but my fanaticism sometimes takes over.

At the risk of getting too off Roscoe Smith's recruitment, I simply bring an action by Harrison Barnes. He paid his own way from Iowa to Durham to surprise Coach K on his birthday. Enough said.

speedevil2001
09-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Great points. I'm guilty of reading between the lines too much as well. I try not to, but my fanaticism sometimes takes over.

At the risk of getting too off Roscoe Smith's recruitment, I simply bring an action by Harrison Barnes. He paid his own way from Iowa to Durham to surprise Coach K on his birthday. Enough said.

what day was coack k's bday on?

jesus_hurley
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
what day was coack k's bday on?

2/13 - I can remember my wife's birthday cause it's on the same day. She just thinks it's the other way around....

airowe
09-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Any word on how Roscoe's visit went?

gotham devil
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Roscoe-Smith-5741/

jesus_hurley
09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Didn't see this on here yet. Roscoe's in home visit with Duke will be 9/17

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/09/oak-hills-smith-lamb-have-visitors/

rotogod00
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Didn't see this on here yet. Roscoe's in home visit with Duke will be 9/17

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/09/oak-hills-smith-lamb-have-visitors/

yeah, espn reported the same info:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail

bill brill
09-09-2009, 07:01 PM
espnu been scrolling the dates of his six home visits, two of which are today. duke is last on the list, which never can be a bad thing.

NSDukeFan
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
espnu been scrolling the dates of his six home visits, two of which are today. duke is last on the list, which never can be a bad thing.

a player commits before then. I guess that's why I don't like the words always and never when it comes to recruiting and the minds of high-school students.

Bluedevil114
09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
a player commits before then. I guess that's why I don't like the words always and never when it comes to recruiting and the minds of high-school students.

This is true!! But when it is only a week they will see all coaches. It would be different if the visits were several weeks apart. What is good is they have taken an unofficial visit last week and will have Coach K pitch last to them. I like those chances.

jesus_hurley
09-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Roscoe set his official visits:

Roscoe Smith, the No. 6 small forward in the Class of 2010 out of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, has set his official visits. The 6-foot-7, 185-pound Smith will take five visits beginning with Georgetown this weekend.

Oct. 2 – Georgetown
Oct. 9 – Duke
Oct. 16 – UConn
TBD – Florida
TBD – Kansas

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/29/roscoe-smith-sets-officials/

ACCBBallFan
09-29-2009, 03:31 PM

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/29/roscoe-smith-sets-officials/Zagsblog had something interesting to say about Brandon Knight too.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/29/knight-enjoyed-uconn-weighing-options/#more-22584

Duke, Miami and Syracuse are also involved and Beckerman said Knight will likely visit Duke.

“He’s slowly starting to see the difference in programs,” Beckerman said.

“He’s starting to evaluate the differences between the programs and what program will fit his style of play and what program will enhance his game. Not only the program, it’s the coach as well. These are things that they’re looking at.”

Beckerman continues to believe Knight will wait until the spring to commit.
“Yes, they’re still looking at a longer-term decision,” he said.

jesus_hurley
09-30-2009, 05:46 PM

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/29/roscoe-smith-sets-officials/

And then there were 3...

Per his father, Duke Georgetown and UCONN made the cut

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/30/roscoe-smith-cuts-list-to-3/

Duke's in home visit is today

bigj4194
09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
And then there were 3...

Duke Georgetown and UCONN made the cut

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/30/roscoe-smith-cuts-list-to-3/

you just beat me to it. good news for us!

jesus_hurley
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
you just beat me to it. good news for us!

I follow zags on twitter - he frequently has the good info and seems to get it out faster then some of the other guys :)

Hopefully he can be sold on playing with Barnes (fingers crossed) so we stay in contention for his services next year. Coach K is there tonight for the in home visit...

soccerstud2210
09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
any news on the in home visit today? was it coach K or some of the other assistant coaches?

rotogod00
10-01-2009, 08:20 AM
As it looks like we have a legit shot at Roscoe, a question...he is a wing right? How does his game differ from Mr. Barnes that we're going after both of them? Would they be able to play on the court at the same time?

Thanks in advance.....

airowe
10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
As it looks like we have a legit shot at Roscoe, a question...he is a wing right? How does his game differ from Mr. Barnes that we're going after both of them? Would they be able to play on the court at the same time?

Thanks in advance.....

They could play on the court at the same time, but Roscoe is not as high of a priority for our staff as Harrison Barnes. I think our position with Roscoe will become clearer after Barnes makes his decision.

NSDukeFan
10-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Thanks in advance.....

I'm sorry I can't tell you how their games differ from each other. Keep in mind that most teams have 2 wings (SG, SF) playing at a time and some teams have 3 and there is a school down the road that seems to be stockpiling a few (McDonald, Strickland, Bullock, Hairston, Henson?) for the next few years. It might not be the worst thing to have a few good ones, if we happen to be so fortunate to get both Barnes and Smith.

flyingdutchdevil
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry I can't tell you how their games differ from each other. Keep in mind that most teams have 2 wings (SG, SF) playing at a time and some teams have 3 and there is a school down the road that seems to be stockpiling a few (McDonald, Strickland, Bullock, Hairston, Henson?) for the next few years. It might not be the worst thing to have a few good ones, if we happen to be so fortunate to get both Barnes and Smith.

IMO, I don't like the idea of stockpiling a certain position. It leads to unhappy players, which leads to transfers, which never helps recruiting / the university's image (in some cases, like EWill, it's not a matter of unhappiness. But I feel these are much rarer).

If we get Roscoe, that means that we will have Nolan, Dre Doc, Curry, Barnes (if we get him) and Roscoe to man the 2-3 positions (the 4-5 positions are going to be stacked next year as well). There are only so many minutes. If we don't get Barnes, then I'd be happy to get Roscoe. However, there are just too many players on the wing next year if we get both...

airowe
10-01-2009, 11:17 AM
IMO, I don't like the idea of stockpiling a certain position. It leads to unhappy players, which leads to transfers, which never helps recruiting / the university's image (in some cases, like EWill, it's not a matter of unhappiness. But I feel these are much rarer).

If we get Roscoe, that means that we will have Nolan, Dre Doc, Curry, Barnes (if we get him) and Roscoe to man the 2-3 positions (the 4-5 positions are going to be stacked next year as well). There are only so many minutes. If we don't get Barnes, then I'd be happy to get Roscoe. However, there are just too many players on the wing next year if we get both...

The 4-5 positions will be our most shallow talent pool next year. We only have 3 players to play those two positions in '10-'11.

Hairston
MP1
MP2

It will be like our guard situation this year. Other than that, I agree with your post. There simply won't be enough PT for a talented player like Roscoe if we get Barnes. Especially not if Singler stays.

Duvall
10-01-2009, 11:27 AM
The 4-5 positions will be our most shallow talent pool next year. We only have 3 players to play those two positions in '10-'11.

Hairston
MP1
MP2

It will be like our guard situation this year. Other than that, I agree with your post. There simply won't be enough PT for a talented player like Roscoe if we get Barnes. Especially not if Singler stays.

You're forgetting Ryan Kelly. That's at least four players for two slots, even if Singler chooses to leave. I wouldn't call that shallow.

Duke of Nashville
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Hairston
MP1
MP2

Don't forget about Kelly...unless you were thinking of him playing the three...

IMO, why Coach has not offered him has to do with HB(duh). But I think K has some big plans in 2011 as well.

airowe
10-01-2009, 12:44 PM
You're forgetting Ryan Kelly. That's at least four players for two slots, even if Singler chooses to leave. I wouldn't call that shallow.

I do think of Kelly as more of a 3, but he could certainly play the 4 out of necessity, as we've seen with Singler. K doesn't have positions though, so who knows.

Listen, I want all the talent we can get. I'd love to see 13 McDonald's All-Americans on the team, but it seems the staff has bigger fish to fry than Smith right now. K's offense has revolved around guard play with less depth in the post and it seems that's where the focus of the recruiting is headed. Irving, Barnes, Rivers, Smith, Beal, Dawkins, Thornton, etc. all guards/wings. Hairston, MP3, Quincy Miller all post players. 7 - 4 wings to post. Smith kind of gets lost in the shuffle there, IMO.

jimsumner
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Czyz could also factor in at the 4.

Based on what K has said since the Olympics, he wants lots of versatile, mobile types at the 3/4. Roscoe is as big as Tony Lang was when Lang was a freshman and Lang managed to do okay as a college 4.

I tend to trust the staff in these matters. If Duke is recruiting a player, I'm going to assume they actually want him.

Duvall
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Irving, Barnes, Rivers, Smith, Beal, Dawkins, Thornton, etc. all guards/wings. Hairston, MP3, Quincy Miller all post players. 7 - 4 wings to post. Smith kind of gets lost in the shuffle there, IMO.

Well, there's the slight problem that only three of the those players have actually committed to Duke at this point. So I'm not sure if the others can really be an obstacle to recruiting anybody.

airowe
10-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Well, there's the slight problem that only three of the those players have actually committed to Duke at this point. So I'm not sure if the others can really be an obstacle to recruiting anybody.

But, you left out the part right before that where I said

"K's offense has revolved around guard play with less depth in the post and it seems that's where the focus of the recruiting is headed"

Emphasis on that's where the focus of the recruiting is headed. We have been recruiting Brandon Knight for a long time, but Kyrie Irving is by all acounts a much bigger priority for the staff. Not saying the guys you quoted from my post are obstacles, but they are higher priorities.

We didn't get in with Wall until we missed on Boynton. While there are obviously differences with regards to presumed talent level (Barnes is to Wall as Boynton is to Roscoe), this is the situation I'd compare it to.

Duvall
10-01-2009, 01:12 PM
But, you left out the part right before that where I said

"K's offense has revolved around guard play with less depth in the post and it seems that's where the focus of the recruiting is headed"

Emphasis on that's where the focus of the recruiting is headed.

Ah, okay. I see what you were saying. Never mind.

NYDukie
10-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Haven't posted in a while due to being down after the season and with EWill and G moving on (disclaimer - I am by no means disappointed in them but miss them because I geniunely liked them from what I saw in how they conducted themselves). But back to the thread. I am confused by some as asking why recruit Roscoe if we like Barnes? Haven't many of asked why aren't there backup plans to priority recruits (see PP, Monroe, Boynton)? This is a perfect example of that. Will it all play out properly? Who knows but at least a wider recruiting net has been cast to protect ourselves. In addition, who knows the inner workings here. Maybe Coach K has had converstaion with Roscoe about what if he wants to come to Duke before Barnes makes a decision. Does he mind playing with Barnes? There "may" be time at the 3 for a pure 3 even with Barnes here unless Singler stays. Does he mind waiting his turn until his sophmore year? I'm sure the subjects have been broached.

And so what if we have multiple forwards. We will lose Thomas, Zoubs and maybe Singler after this year. Who know how Olek and Miles develop? I feel better about Mason and Ryan but no one knows. We all know in Coach K's system there are no "positions" per se so having depth is a problem I rather have. Finally, aside from Singler and going forward, we currently have no true swing players, and in all honesty, Singler is closer to a 4 than a 2, be it at the college level or pro level. So the possible addition of both Barnes and Roscoe may be a godsend.

flyingdutchdevil
10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Based on what K has said since the Olympics, he wants lots of versatile, mobile types at the 3/4. Roscoe is as big as Tony Lang was when Lang was a freshman and Lang managed to do okay as a college 4.

That was the strategy of the Atlanta Hawks when Billy Knight was the GM. And we all know how that turned out.

I'm not suggesting that K is wrong. He is right - athletic 3/4s are great. But there is a limit to how many you can have on a team. Ironically, having a lot of versatile 3/4s doesn't give you a versatile team.

slower
10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
(Barnes is to Wall as Boynton is to Roscoe)

Not meaning to be obtuse, but what exactly do you mean here?

Did you mean Barnes is to Roscoe as Boynton is to Wall?

Maybe this can be part of a "DBR SAT"!

airowe
10-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Not meaning to be obtuse, but what exactly do you mean here?

Did you mean Barnes is to Roscoe as Boynton is to Wall?

Maybe this can be part of a "DBR SAT"!

Sorry, I know I rambled a little there. Just saying that I believe Roscoe to be a backup to Barnes rather than a compliment to him. I'd love to get both, but am happy there is a backup in case things don't work out with Barnes.

Take this FWIW, but Scout.com isn't showing an offer from Duke to Roscoe. I know these things aren't updated that often, but the staff there has been on top of Roscoe's recruitment.

BD80
10-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Hairston
MP1
MP2

Coach K had this team a couple of years ago that did fairly well, and only 3 of the 12 players were "4-5", Bosh, Howard, and Boozer. 5 were "wings". 3 were point guards and one was a "2".

No matter how many times Coach K says he doesn't have postions, he has players, people still ignore him and focus on positions.

It sounds to me like Smith has the skills and athleticism to earn time on the court, particularly given Coach K's propensity to only have one true "big" on the court.

COYS
10-01-2009, 01:55 PM
That was the strategy of the Atlanta Hawks when Billy Knight was the GM. And we all know how that turned out.

I'm not suggesting that K is wrong. He is right - athletic 3/4s are great. But there is a limit to how many you can have on a team. Ironically, having a lot of versatile 3/4s doesn't give you a versatile team.

Ok, wait a second. I'm not exactly sure how the Knight and the Hawks are comparable to Duke at the moment. Knight was lambasted for not going after a number of top pg (Deron Williams and Chris Paul being the two most painful, although we could have only taken one). Coach K has clearly made it a priority to land a top tier lead guard, even if we missed out on Boynton and Wall last year. Plus, Thornton's already on board. Also, the team already has two good post prospects in Mason and Miles who will be on the team for a few years, even after Zoubs leaves. The team is also stacked with 2/3 guards, as well, in Smith, Dawkins, Curry. Assuming Singler leaves for the NBA, which I would imagine K must be preparing for that possibility, we'll have Hairston, Kelly, Czyz and hopefully one or both of Barnes and Smith for the 3/4. I don't really view these players as redundant. Hairston, though he's more of a faceup 4, still likes to play close to the basket. Kelly is much more perimeter oriented. Roscoe Smith's greatest strength is his shooting. And Barnes is such a talent that he could wind up being a one and done or a two and done. Smith, Hairston, and Kelly, unless they really blow up, are probably at least 3 year guys. I don't see the harm in having someone like Smith backing up someone like Barnes for a few years with the knowledge that Barnes (if we even land him) could easily be gone after a year or two.

The Hawks, on the other hand, didn't nail down a lead guard until the trade for Bibby, and didn't seem interested in landing one. Outside of the 5 and the 1, positions 2-4 are relatively flexible, even in the NBA.

JDev
10-01-2009, 02:04 PM

So if you are against the recruitment of both Barnes and Smith, then you see the limit of that type of player on a team as 1.

jimsumner
10-01-2009, 03:23 PM
"That was the strategy of the Atlanta Hawks when Billy Knight was the GM. And we all know how that turned out."

Points for originality. First time Mike Krzyzewski and Billy Knight have ever been compared.

Without putting too fine a point on in, K does have something of a track record in this regard. Duke's 3/4s in 1991 were Grant Hill, Greg Koubek, Brian Davis, and Tony Lang. The following season Hill, Davis and Lang. 2001 we had Shane Battier and Mike Dunleavy as starting forwards, with Nate James playing the 2 and 3. Battier, Carrawell, James, and Maggette in 1999. Hill, Lang, and Marty Clark in 1994.

This conversation reminds me a bit of 1990, when Duke signed Grant Hill, Tony Lang, and Marty Clark in the same class. All were nominal 3s and folks were wondering how they would all see the floor. Seemed to work out okay.

El_Diablo
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
This conversation reminds me a bit of 1990, when Duke signed Grant Hill, Tony Lang, and Marty Clark in the same class. All were nominal 3s and folks were wondering how they would all see the floor. Seemed to work out okay.

But we let UNC win a title in 1993! How is that okay??? ;)

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2009, 05:25 AM
So if you are against the recruitment of both Barnes and Smith, then you see the limit of that type of player on a team as 1.

If Kyle stays, and no one has any inside info on the situation - and we get Barnes (possibility), then these are the players that I feel fit the bill:

-Singler
-Barnes
-Hairston (he is a 4, but he could also play the 3)
-Olek (realistic if he plays or not is irrelevant. He is still on the team)

Those are the above-athletes that fit the position. We also have Kelly (who isn't as athletic, but is definitely a 3/4).

That's 5 guys, assuming Barnes comes. I really don't see where Roscoe comes in. 40 minutes, 5 guys. Plus, you'll have the MPs manning the 5 and, if you want to play them together, then you need to sacrifice more minutes at the 4 for all those players.

I like Roscoe. I think he has crazy potential. But I don't think that there is any room for him with next years roster (which I included Barnes in there). If we miss out on Barnes (knock on wood), then I think we should go after Roscoe and offer him a scholy (which, IMO, seems to be K's plan).

Side note - if the following happens, which is being optimistic - Singler stays and Irving and Barnes both come, Duke will be stacked. I think the most stacked since 1999. At every position, we are loaded. It is going to be a) exciting games, b) amazing practices and c) potential upset players at lack of playing time. It's the c) that really scares me. If we added Roscoe, there is no way that everyone is going to be happy.

MarkD83
10-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Whenever I read these conversations about depth there is always a discussion of "not enough minutes". However, depth means versatility. Last year agains Villanova it would have been nice to have four small forwards on the floor and a point guard for 40 minutes. Against UNC it would have been nice to have two centers two power forwards and a point guard.

In any one game they all can't play 40 minutes but over the course of a season they all play in the critical games that you need to win.

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Whenever I read these conversations about depth there is always a discussion of "not enough minutes". However, depth means versatility. Last year agains Villanova it would have been nice to have four small forwards on the floor and a point guard for 40 minutes. Against UNC it would have been nice to have two centers two power forwards and a point guard.

In any one game they all can't play 40 minutes but over the course of a season they all play in the critical games that you need to win.

But this is Coach K we're talking about - a coach who loves to shorten a rotation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that - look at the results from the past 20 years. I agree that K loves to match up with other teams, but he loves a shorter rotation even more

MarkD83
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM
during recruiting you don't shorten the rotation. The promise you make to recruits is if you come and compete you may end up in that shorter rotation at the end. In the past few years due to transfers and finishing "2nd" in some recruiting battles, Duke has had 6-7 players that end up in the final rotation but no real competiton behind them to challenge for those spots.

RelativeWays
10-02-2009, 07:24 AM
In my experience of watching basketball, I've always noticed that the kids with talent always play, regardless of how many players you have for x or y position. If Roscoe Smith has all the potential they say he does, and he can live up to it, he'll play, with or without Harrison Barnes. K will make room on the rotation for him. I, for one, would love for Duke to have the luxury of too many good players, rather than not enough.

Bob Green
10-02-2009, 07:25 AM
But this is Coach K we're talking about - a coach who loves to shorten a rotation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that - look at the results from the past 20 years. I agree that K loves to match up with other teams, but he loves a shorter rotation even more

This is a fallacy. Coach Krzyzewski plays a deep rotation when he has the talent available. Seven out of 10 Final Four teams in the Coach Krzyzewski era have had eight or nine players average double digit minutes:

1986 - Final Four - 7 players averaged double digit minutes
1988 - Final Four - 8 players averaged double digit minutes
1989 - Final Four - 8 players averaged double digit minutes
1990 - Final Four - 9 players averaged double digit minutes
1991 - NC - 9 players averaged double digit minutes
1992 - NC - 7 players averaged double digit minutes
1994 - Final Four - 8 players averaged double digit minutes
1999 - Final Four - 8 players averaged double digit minutes
2001 - NC - 8 players averaged double digit minutes
2004 - Final Four - 7 players averaged double digit minutes

If the talent is available, Coach will play a deep rotation.

JDev
10-02-2009, 08:14 AM
If Kyle stays, and no one has any inside info on the situation - and we get Barnes (possibility), then these are the players that I feel fit the bill:

-Singler
-Barnes
-Hairston (he is a 4, but he could also play the 3)
-Olek (realistic if he plays or not is irrelevant. He is still on the team)

Those are the above-athletes that fit the position. We also have Kelly (who isn't as athletic, but is definitely a 3/4).

I see your point, but I think those guys can realistically not only be on the same team, but can even be on the floor at the same time. Obviously it is all conjecture, but I think the smart money probably says that Singler is gone. I also think the lion's share of Hairston's minutes in college will come at the 4 spot. I think that Kelly, assuming he continues to bulk up, will also see the majority of his minutes at the 4 spot. He is in the 6'9 range, and presents the match-up problems and inside-out versatility Duke likes from their second bigs (a la Singler, Deng, Dunleavy, etc.). I am not sure about Olek. In his case judgement should be reserved until we can see the progress he has made. I actually don't think Smith and Barnes will end up on the same college team, but I can see why the staff would think that was appealing and possible.

airowe
10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Justin Young on Roscoe Smith and Quincy Miller:

http://nationalhoopsreport.blogspot.com/2009/10/nhr-mailbag-oct-1.html

NYDukie
10-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Justin Young on Roscoe Smith and Quincy Miller:

http://nationalhoopsreport.blogspot.com/2009/10/nhr-mailbag-oct-1.html

But when I see a top 25 recruit in Roscoe still considering Duke in his top 3 choices as well as the top player in the 2010 class, which is Barnes, who plays the same position as Roscoe also considering to date Duke as his #1 choice as is speculated, that suggests to me that Duke is Roscoe's #1 choice and is waiting on Barnes. Why include Duke in his top 3 unless he really wants to go there and is just waiting it out to see what Barnes does?

If I was a recruit and knew the top player was to go to my top choice, I would cross it off, unless of course there was a chance the top player would go else where.

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Agree - seems like Roscoe really wants to come to Duke. If the Barnes experiment doesn't work, I really hope that Roscoe comes over. Also, his other two schools are Big East schools and hopefully Calhoun and Thompson attack each other so much that the Big East no longer has an appeal to RS.

Side note - I think Roscoe is a kick I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. name.

RelativeWays
10-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Maybe its me but it seems like Roscoe is being treated as a left over or consolation prize in this thread. Not only is that a disservice to him but Duke basketball as well.
Sensible fans wants as many great players as their team will hold and let the coaches stress about the line-ups. I'm not only confident that there is a place at Duke for Roscoe Smith, I also belive that there is a place at Duke for Roscoe Smith to become a great player, regardless of who may or may not also commit.

dbdfan
10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Maybe its me but it seems like Roscoe is being treated as a left over or consolation prize in this thread. Not only is that a disservice to him but Duke basketball as well.
Sensible fans wants as many great players as their team will hold and let the coaches stress about the line-ups. I'm not only confident that there is a place at Duke for Roscoe Smith, I also belive that there is a place at Duke for Roscoe Smith to become a great player, regardless of who may or may not also commit.

I completely agree... Hope he hasn't been reading this thread! After watching Roscoe's videos it is obvious that he is a tremendous athelete. He knows how to score and seems to be an even better defender. I believe both Roscoe and Harrison are more than versatile enough to exist in the same line-up. I would like to see him come to Duke ... he hustles and seems like hard nosed kid.

chrisheery
10-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I completely agree... Hope he hasn't been reading this thread! After watching Roscoe's videos it is obvious that he is a tremendous athelete. He knows how to score and seems to be an even better defender. I believe both Roscoe and Harrison are more than versatile enough to exist in the same line-up. I would like to see him come to Duke ... he hustles and seems like hard nosed kid.

So glad someone is finally saying this. Yes, he might not be a "go to" player his freshman year. He may only get around 10-15 minutes a game, but there is certainly a role for him on the 2010 team, even if HB and KI commit.

That team would occasionally need to have two guards, two wings and one post (reminds me a bit of 2000 and 2001). A versatile 6'7 or guy or two (HB and RS) have many roles and should be able to slash and create offensive rebounds for the other guy. I have no doubt we could use him in 2010. By 2011, he would be an established player with excellent potential to improve his game based on reports of his athleticism. Plus, what a cool name.

Even Shane Battier didn't play starters minutes his freshman year (still played >20, but he's an all-timer). I am always surprised that expectations have gotten so out-of-whack that a freshman would avoid a school if he isn't guaranteed starters minutes. If I were a freshman with tons of upside but knew I needed great coaching to make it to the next level, I would take great teaching over promised minutes. Tons of minutes do nothing for you if you are ready to perform at that level (except show the deficiencies you have in your game).

Rosoe, bring your cool name and likely to improve game to Duke. I, for one, think you would be great here regardless of who else comes. (You might even be better with the better players around to challenge you in that first year)

sivartrenrag
10-02-2009, 10:54 PM
If Coach is recruiting him, I imagine that he believes there is a spot in our lineup for both Barnes and Smith. Same with Rivers, Quincy Miller, and everyone else we are recruiting. That said, I certainly hope Roscoe comes to Duke.

The problems with early exits and transfers should make it clear that recruiting two similar players is not that much of a problem. Depth is never a bad thing, and Roscoe will undoubtedly understand the issue if he commits. So hopefully he understands that (ideally) we will be a very deep team and he will have the opportunity to earn playing time (just like everyone else on the team - Barnes, Irving, Thornton, Hairston, and anyone else we recruit) and he will still want to go to Duke.

jesus_hurley
10-02-2009, 11:14 PM

I'd love to see him come. It's my understanding that the staff has been selling him on the idea that he can co-exist with other talented wings. His OV is next weekend, but I think he has said he is deciding in the spring.

FireOgilvie
10-03-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm really torn on Roscoe Smith. He's a great talent. He's long, versatile, athletic and he's a good shooter. I think he's a great player and I would love to have him on our team. If there was infinite playing time, there wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that we just got Hairston (I have no idea where he fits with our current guys at the 4), and we are recruiting Barnes ahead of Roscoe, who would also play the 3 (because quite frankly, we have way too many combo and shooting guards to play Barnes at the 2 in Smith, Curry, and Dawkins). We are also recruiting Quincy Miller, who would probably play the 3. We definitely need to get either Roscoe or Quincy. Quincy is ranked much higher and I think he's going to be a star. I would rather have Quincy, although Roscoe is very good. If we don't get Barnes, I would love to get Roscoe AND Quincy.

In an alternate world where we didn't have so many undersized combo guards next year and the year after that if we get Rivers, we could have hypothetically played Barnes and Roscoe together to make an awesome and athletic pair of wing guards. In the end, I think the only way we're getting Roscoe is if Barnes goes somewhere else or if Roscoe is willing to sit on the bench for a few years.

I also want to note that I hope Hairston either develops his perimeter game and defense as a SF or really bulks up and becomes a very strong PF, because I don't see him in his current form starting any time soon at PF ahead of Mason or Ryan, but there could be time at SF if we miss on Barnes AND Roscoe (which I really hope doesn't happen). I don't see Hairston getting much playing time in 2010 based on what I've seen of his game and what I think Ryan Kelly will be doing as a sophomore. If we get Kyrie Irving, Thornton is going to be lucky to see 5 minutes/game in 2010 when we also have Curry, Nolan, and Dawkins.

wilko
10-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Good thing we never have injuries, transfers or early entries to the NBA.

I hear your reservations, but if the staff wants him and he wants us, I say Welcome home Roscoe!

MarkD83
10-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I realize we all know the roster for the upcoming seasons but putting it down on paper shows me that I hope the staff offers Roscoe Smith and we hope that Irving, Smith and Barnes all commit.

You can argue about positions but I see a big hole.

Current 2010-11 Roster

Backcourt: N. Smith, S. Curry, A. Dawkins, T. Thorton
Wings:
Frontcourt: O. Czyz, M. Plumlee, R. Kelly, M. Plumlee, J. Hairston

Kyle is not on this list because I hope he is national player of the year, we win an NCAA championship and we all wish him well in the NBA.

Also since Coach K likes to play more wings and guards I believe that we will only see 2 of the front court players on the court at the same time. That means we have 4 backcourt players and wings for 3 positions.

The names in bold are my projected starters.

Bluedevil114
10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm really torn on Roscoe Smith. He's a great talent. He's long, versatile, athletic and he's a good shooter. I think he's a great player and I would love to have him on our team. If there was infinite playing time, there wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that we just got Hairston (I have no idea where he fits with our current guys at the 4), and we are recruiting Barnes ahead of Roscoe, who would also play the 3 (because quite frankly, we have way too many combo and shooting guards to play Barnes at the 2 in Smith, Curry, and Dawkins). We are also recruiting Quincy Miller, who would probably play the 3. We definitely need to get either Roscoe or Quincy. Quincy is ranked much higher and I think he's going to be a star. I would rather have Quincy, although Roscoe is very good. If we don't get Barnes, I would love to get Roscoe AND Quincy.

In an alternate world where we didn't have so many undersized combo guards next year and the year after that if we get Rivers, we could have hypothetically played Barnes and Roscoe together to make an awesome and athletic pair of wing guards. In the end, I think the only way we're getting Roscoe is if Barnes goes somewhere else or if Roscoe is willing to sit on the bench for a few years.

I also want to note that I hope Hairston either develops his perimeter game and defense as a SF or really bulks up and becomes a very strong PF, because I don't see him in his current form starting any time soon at PF ahead of Mason or Ryan, but there could be time at SF if we miss on Barnes AND Roscoe (which I really hope doesn't happen). I don't see Hairston getting much playing time in 2010 based on what I've seen of his game and what I think Ryan Kelly will be doing as a sophomore. If we get Kyrie Irving, Thornton is going to be lucky to see 5 minutes/game in 2010 when we also have Curry, Nolan, and Dawkins.

We do not have a commitment from Barnes, lets not forget that important piece. The thing I have been disappointed in the recruiting over the past five years is our net has not been large enough. We zero in on one guy at a position and if we miss on him then Coach K looks as if his recruiting is terrible. Even though we have been the number 2 everytime. Now his net is larger and we still complain. We can not have it both ways. Lets celebrate that we great recruits and Duke is still in their top three and four schools. If we overstock at a position then great. Bottomline we need to get one of them at the miniimum.

For example, Kyrie........now we are out of the Knight, McCallum running we only are targeting one top tier point guard for 2010 so if we miss on him then the world again will be falling.

SilkyJ
10-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I realize we all know the roster for the upcoming seasons but putting it down on paper shows me that I hope the staff offers Roscoe Smith and we hope that Irving, Smith and Barnes all commit.

You can argue about positions but I see a big hole.

Current 2010-11 Roster

Backcourt: N. Smith, S. Curry, A. Dawkins, T. Thorton
Wings:
Frontcourt: O. Czyz, M. Plumlee, R. Kelly, M. Plumlee, J. Hairston

Kyle is not on this list because I hope he is national player of the year, we win an NCAA championship and we all wish him well in the NBA.

Also since Coach K likes to play more wings and guards I believe that we will only see 2 of the front court players on the court at the same time. That means we have 4 backcourt players and wings for 3 positions.

The names in bold are my projected starters.

I'd move Dawkins to the Wing: he'll spend all his time at the 2/3, so I think that counts as a wing player.

Point taken though, we are light on the wing and there is room for HB and Roscoe to coexist

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Question?

Roscoe Smith or Josh Smith

my answer: Josh Smith

Kedsy
10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Question?

Roscoe Smith or Josh Smith

my answer: Josh Smith

Have you notified Josh of your decision?

verga
10-03-2009, 11:15 PM
To begin with we must get Barnes, Harrison is the key to all these scenarios (in my opinion). I can see instances where Roscoe and Harrison could play together, especially in a tight defensive struggle, it would be nice to have two excellent athletes with good perimeter skills. The key being "athletic", something we've not had an abundance of recently. I'm not privy to K's thinking, in regards to Harrison and Roscoe, is Roscoe a backup plan, he could be? He could also be a building block on a championship team, who are we to say? He may come with the understanding that if he's among the best, he plays, i hope thats what K is telling him and i hope thats what Roscoe wants to hear.

houstondukie
10-04-2009, 12:14 AM
It's not that I don't want Roscoe Smith to pick Duke, but I want Duke to be able to pursue as many recruits in the 2011 class as possible. If Duke lands Kyrie Irving and Harrison Barnes in 2010, they will have 3 scholarships available for 2011 for players like Quincy Miller, Austin Rivers, Brad Beal, and Marshall Plumlee.

FireOgilvie
10-04-2009, 01:05 AM
It's not that I don't want Roscoe Smith to pick Duke, but I want Duke to be able to pursue as many recruits in the 2011 class as possible. If Duke lands Kyrie Irving and Harrison Barnes in 2010, they will have 3 scholarships available for 2011 for players like Quincy Miller, Austin Rivers, Brad Beal, and Marshall Plumlee.

I think you're right.

Here's what my depth chart for 2010 looks like if we get Barnes, Irving, and Roscoe:

Kyrie Irving/Nolan Smith/Tyler Thornton
Nolan Smith/Seth Curry or Andre Dawkins
Harrison Barnes/Kyle Singler*/Andre Dawkins or Roscoe Smith/Olek Czyz
Kyle Singler*/Ryan Kelly/Mason Plumlee/Josh Hairston or Roscoe Smith/Olek Czyz
Mason Plumlee/Miles Plumlee

*I'm assuming Singler leaves, but it's possible he doesn't.

The position we're lightest at here is center.

Roscoe knows what our depth chart is going to look like in 2010. If Barnes comes and he wants to come to Duke, he should come. He's really good and we need athletes and shot-blockers. I think he could maybe play ahead of Hairston. If Barnes doesn't come, I would absolutely like to see him here.

But, we definitely need a center in 2011. Who knows if Mason will be here in his 3rd year and Miles should be a senior in 2011. I would also love to get Austin Rivers. He is going to play in the NBA someday. So will Quincy Miller. I wouldn't be surprised if both of these guys were lottery picks. We can't get these guys if we don't have scholarships open.

Kedsy
10-04-2009, 08:13 AM
I think you're right.

Here's what my depth chart for 2010 looks like if we get Barnes, Irving, and Roscoe:

Kyrie Irving/Nolan Smith/Tyler Thornton
Nolan Smith/Seth Curry or Andre Dawkins
Harrison Barnes/Kyle Singler*/Andre Dawkins or Roscoe Smith/Olek Czyz
Kyle Singler*/Ryan Kelly/Mason Plumlee/Josh Hairston or Roscoe Smith/Olek Czyz
Mason Plumlee/Miles Plumlee

*I'm assuming Singler leaves, but it's possible he doesn't.

The position we're lightest at here is center.

Roscoe knows what our depth chart is going to look like in 2010. If Barnes comes and he wants to come to Duke, he should come. He's really good and we need athletes and shot-blockers. I think he could maybe play ahead of Hairston. If Barnes doesn't come, I would absolutely like to see him here.

But, we definitely need a center in 2011. Who knows if Mason will be here in his 3rd year and Miles should be a senior in 2011. I would also love to get Austin Rivers. He is going to play in the NBA someday. So will Quincy Miller. I wouldn't be surprised if both of these guys were lottery picks. We can't get these guys if we don't have scholarships open.

The way I see it, there's the whole "bird in hand" thing. History suggests we won't be able to get all four of the fine 2011 prospects being bandied about on DBR (Rivers, Beal, Miller, Plumlee). If we get Roscoe plus three of those four, I will personally be ecstatic.

Also, have you seen Roscoe Smith and Josh Hairston play? I haven't, so I wouldn't have the slightest idea who would play ahead of who (although I supsect they both would play reasonable minutes so I'm not sure whether "play ahead" is the right term to use). I was under the impression that their games were pretty different.

SilkyJ
10-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Also, have you seen Roscoe Smith and Josh Hairston play? I haven't, so I wouldn't have the slightest idea who would play ahead of who (although I supsect they both would play reasonable minutes so I'm not sure whether "play ahead" is the right term to use). I was under the impression that their games were pretty different.

I haven't seen them play either, and have no idea of whom would play of whom, but I was actually under the impression that their games were pretty similar: 6'8" guys who like to play facing the basket and shoot jumpers, with a developing post game. My guess is that Hairston is a little better down low, but both would seem to be 3/4 combos in college.

RelativeWays
10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Bump for the fact that Roscoe P Coltrane Smith is here TOMORROW, so lets put Harrison and Huckleberry Hound out of our minds for at least the weekend for a kid that has talent and would be a great addition to our team. UConn is evil and Georgetown will never make it to the final four anytime soon. The place for Roscoe is gothic wonderland.

Newton_14
10-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Bump for the fact that Roscoe P Coltrane Smith is here TOMORROW, so lets put Harrison and Huckleberry Hound out of our minds for at least the weekend for a kid that has talent and would be a great addition to our team. UConn is evil and Georgetown will never make it to the final four anytime soon. The place for Roscoe is gothic wonderland.

I could not agree more.

So welcome to the best college basketball environment in the world Roscoe. Enjoy your visit and if you want to commit on the spot, well that's just fine too. We have a spot available for you!

Go Duke!
9F9F9F9F9F9F

airowe
10-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Hate to rain on your parade guys, but Roscoe will not be visiting tomorrow.

speedevil2001
10-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Hate to rain on your parade guys, but Roscoe will not be visiting tomorrow.

since you know that he's not visiting tomorrow, ,when will he be visting?

airowe
10-09-2009, 07:34 AM

Not sure about that. It was first reporting publicly via Bomani Jones' Twitter a couple days ago.

yancem
10-09-2009, 09:34 AM

My understanding is that K canceled the visit. I don't know if it was more of a postponement or a we're not interested in giving you an OV type of thing. I am hoping that it is the former because I think that are chances of signing Barnes are not as good as they used to be and it would be nice to have Smith on board if Barnes decides to go elsewhere.

airowe
10-09-2009, 09:47 AM
My understanding is that K canceled the visit. I don't know if it was more of a postponement or a we're not interested in giving you an OV type of thing. I am hoping that it is the former because I think that are chances of signing Barnes are not as good as they used to be and it would be nice to have Smith on board if Barnes decides to go elsewhere.

From what I understand, the door is still open for Roscoe to attend a game at Cameron this season. IMO, this decision won't be made until after Barnes' decision.

JDev
10-09-2009, 10:17 AM
From what I understand, the door is still open for Roscoe to attend a game at Cameron this season. IMO, this decision won't be made until after Barnes' decision.

I think that would be better anyway, for several obvious reasons. For one, HB will have decided by that point. For another, experiencing a game at Cameron is exponentially better than an out of season visit (though there is value in both).

The good news is that between HB and RS, Duke's 2010 class will likely include an elite SF.

Kedsy
10-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I think that would be better anyway, for several obvious reasons. For one, HB will have decided by that point. For another, experiencing a game at Cameron is exponentially better than an out of season visit (though there is value in both).

The good news is that between HB and RS, Duke's 2010 class will likely include an elite SF.

"Likely" might be too strong a word. I'd go with "hopefully."

BD80
10-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Perhaps it is a VERY positive statement about Barnes and our in-home in Iowa. If the staff were very confident in our chances with Harison and informed Roscoe of that status, perhaps Roscoe chose to hold off on a Duke official visit so he could keep is options open and not yet use up an OV at Duke.

flyingdutchdevil
10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Perhaps it is a VERY positive statement about Barnes and our in-home in Iowa. If the staff were very confident in our chances with Harison and informed Roscoe of that status, perhaps Roscoe chose to hold off on a Duke official visit so he could keep is options open and not yet use up an OV at Duke.

That seems like a very bad idea. These are high schoolers, and they change their mind all the time. With the exception of a verbal commitment, I don't think Duke is going to back off another recruit because they feel "very confident in our chances with Harrison". Also, if K is going to cast a wider net, I don't think this is the way to go...

SilkyJ
10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
That seems like a very bad idea. These are high schoolers, and they change their mind all the time. With the exception of a verbal commitment, I don't think Duke is going to back off another recruit because they feel "very confident in our chances with Harrison". Also, if K is going to cast a wider net, I don't think this is the way to go...

I don't know. K (in the past) has often recruited a couple guys for one position but would clearly have a preference for one over the other and would not offer the second guy unless the first guy passed on us. So while I don't think we would "back off" of Roscoe, its quite possible that Coach K is saying to him "we are giving out X scholarships for your class and I have already made that many offers. If one of the kids doesn't accept, then you're next."

Afterall, I don't think we've made him a formal offer yet...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't know. K (in the past) has often recruited a couple guys for one position but would clearly have a preference for one over the other and would not offer the second guy unless the first guy passed on us. So while I don't think we would "back off" of Roscoe, its quite possible that Coach K is saying to him "we are giving out X scholarships for your class and I have already made that many offers. If one of the kids doesn't accept, then you're next."

Afterall, I don't think we've made him a formal offer yet...

This has been happening for years. A high school classmate of mine was told by Duke staff that they would love for him to play in Duke blue but that they were waiting for a final word from some other point guard named Jason Williams. My friend was all-state, state champion in the state of North Carolina, but these are the really difficult decisions that these kids have to make.

Can you really put your hopes and dreams of playing at an elite school like Duke on the line and risk your chances at other major D1 programs to wait and see what the top tier talent does first? Well, he did, and after Jason Williams committed, he was left scrounging for a school and ended up at VCU.

Epilogue: He showed a lot of promise his freshman year and then blew out his knee his second season and was never the same. It's a tenuous track that all these kids are on and I hope they don't take their privledges for granted.

SilkyJ
10-09-2009, 04:38 PM
This has been happening for years.

It certainly has, but what else can ya do? Its either that or the Roy approach of offering 8 guys for 5 spots and first come first serve, and that has its own pros and cons.

IMO, K doesn't (or at least hasn't) go with that approach b/c it just doesn't feel right "morally" if you know what I mean. If you offer a guy a scholarship, he should have a scholarship waiting for him, you shouldn't have to go back 2 months later and rescind. I'm not bashing Roy's approach b/c I'm sure he's upfront about his multiple offers, but its just not in K's nature/character to do things that way. Of course too many fans only care about winning and seem to forget (or don't care) that winning with character and class are just as important, hence a lot of the "cast a wider net" chatter. I'll take K and his methods any day of the week, and it does seem like he has been able to cast a bit of a wider net while staying true to his methods and beliefs.

As always, in K we trust.

Sandman
10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I'll take K and his methods any day of the week, and it does seem like he has been able to cast a bit of a wider net while staying true to his methods and beliefs.

As always, in K we trust.

Great post, SilkyJ. You really captured the essence of K vs. Roy in recruiting. I'm with you. I hope K never changes - I'm always so pround of the Duke character and integrity and will willingly sacrifice a few athletic victories to maintain that honor.

oldnavy
10-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Great post, SilkyJ. You really captured the essence of K vs. Roy in recruiting. I'm with you. I hope K never changes - I'm always so pround of the Duke character and integrity and will willingly sacrifice a few athletic victories to maintain that honor.

I do not see anything wrong with offering more kids than you have scholorships for as long as you are totally up front with them about it. It is not misleading or dishonest to tell a kid that you would love to have him at your school, but you have 3 offers for 2 spots and that you are going to take the first two who accept. I see nothing wrong with putting the kid on the clock. It seems to be working really well at CH, if in fact that is what they do. Now before I get blasted, I trust K and would never presume to suggest that he go against his own style or moral compass, but if he were to feel comfortable casting a wider net and then took the first that accepted, I would not think that he had compromised anything. The Coaching staff obviously have felt the need to make some changes to how they recruit, because it is adapt or die out there. An argument could be made that by doing it this way and accepting the ones that accept you first you get kids that really are committed to you and your program for what that's worth. Anyway, I don't think the majority of fans would be very happy to claim the moral victory if we miss on HB, KI, RS, etc... and Roy keeps putting NC's in his trophy case, especially if he is keeping the program clean while doing it.

AlaskanAssassin
10-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Zags reported that Roscoe Smith has decided and is just waiting to see which players opt to go to which schools:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/10/25/roscoe-smith-has-decided-lamb-still-thinking/#more-23736

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Do you(anyone feel free to answer) see this as good news or bad?

AlaskanAssassin
10-25-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm assuming he is just waiting on H's answer. Seems like he really likes Duke.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Tha't what i was thinking at first. But what if he's waiting for BK to choose UConn? And if HB chooses Duke does that mean he going else where or he's still going to Duke? IDK all up to opinion at this point.

AlaskanAssassin
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Don't think Roscoe will come if HB commits. I've read somewhere that they somewhat dislike each other.

chrisheery
10-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Don't think Roscoe will come if HB commits. I've read somewhere that they somewhat dislike each other.

I read that somewhere too, but I don't have a link. I heard they had a run in at a summer event (AAU or some camp) and they both do not want to go to the same school as the other.

FireOgilvie
10-25-2009, 10:54 PM
I read that somewhere too, but I don't have a link. I heard they had a run in at a summer event (AAU or some camp) and they both do not want to go to the same school as the other.

Yeah, supposedly that is the case. I saw the same article.

I would be happy to land either Barnes or Smith. I would prefer Barnes (obviously, he's the number 1 player in his class, etc.), but Smith is very good as well. Roscoe is a great athlete and impressive shot-blocker. He also has a surprisingly good 3 pt stroke.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-25-2009, 11:00 PM
HAHAHA someone def. posted that link on DBR because i read this as well. So I think he either chosing between Duke or UCONN with this new article. Due to where BK or HB go.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-25-2009, 11:45 PM
So does that mean Roscoe may wait until the late signing period to commit? I have heard BK will not decide until this spring. That seems like a long time for Roscoe to wait. Also, merely a hunch, but I do not think that BK will go to UCONN. My point is, if Harrison goes elsewhere, I think Roscoe will come to Duke.

juise
10-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Tha't what i was thinking at first. But what if he's waiting for BK to choose UConn?

Are you suggesting that this would have a positive or negative effect on his feelings about UConn? I'm not sure how relevant the signing of a PG is. Of course we wanted to think that Barnes was more likely to sign with Irving on board, but that was due to their friendship.

So I think he either chosing between Duke or UCONN with this new article. Due to where BK or HB go.

The article also mentions G-town. What made the Hoyas seem less prominent?

So does that mean Roscoe may wait until the late signing period to commit? I have heard BK will not decide until this spring. That seems like a long time for Roscoe to wait. Also, merely a hunch, but I do not think that BK will go to UCONN. My point is, if Harrison goes elsewhere, I think Roscoe will come to Duke.

I also think that the waiting has more to do with Barnes' decision and from rumor, that decision will be made on 11/12, one day into the early signing period. One would think that this woud give Smith time to make a decision within the early period. Who knows if the rumors are accurate, though?

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-26-2009, 12:26 AM
The Hoyas seem less important because he said he's waiting to see where everyone else goes. G-Town doesn't seem to be in the running for any big recruit besides RS. I think getting BK does increase UConn chances but then again he said he already knows where he is going. And i think any player would love to play with a great PG. So getting KI helps us in that regard when it comes to HB imo.

Edouble
10-26-2009, 02:14 AM

Are they aware that Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble somewhat disliked each other? :o

Kewlswim
10-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Are they aware that Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble somewhat disliked each other? :o

Hi,

The A's would fight with each other and then go out and win Championships. Liking one's teammates is not necessary to have a winning team. I am not sure a lot of players really liked Christian Laettner and it seemed to workout ok for people who played with him at Duke.

GO DUKE!

oldnavy
10-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Has he chosen a school or hasn't he? I am confused by the "I already know where I am going"... line followed by the "waiting to see" where everyone else goes statement. If he knows where he is going, what difference would it make who else signs? It sounds more to me like he has his favorite school, but may choose a second or even third school based on other recruits decisions, which means he doesn't really know right now. Ah, just when you think the recruiting drama is over, they pull you right back in!!

JasonEvans
10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Maybe I am missing something but it looks like Zagoria has revised that article and now says Roscoe has not made a decision but will decide among his 3 finalists Duke, UCons, and GTown. No mention of a decision already being made and waiting to see where other guys go to announce it.

--Jason "I think this does bode well for Duke as it seems Smith is a fine backup if Barnes does not come to Duke" Evans

sandinmyshoes
10-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Even better than just being a back up to Barnes. If Barnes should end up at UNC, Smith might turn out to be the perfect defensive foil. What makes it sweet is that he won't be going to UNC, so the foil can't be turned against us if Barnes comes to Duke.

airowe
10-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Maybe I am missing something but it looks like Zagoria has revised that article and now says Roscoe has not made a decision but will decide among his 3 finalists Duke, UCons, and GTown. No mention of a decision already being made and waiting to see where other guys go to announce it.

--Jason "I think this does bode well for Duke as it seems Smith is a fine backup if Barnes does not come to Duke" Evans

Yep, looks like Zags has changed yet another article. This guy is like Microsoft, don't buy anything they're selling until they get the bugs worked out.

juise
10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Yep, looks like Zags has changed yet another article. This guy is like Microsoft, don't buy anything they're selling until they get the bugs worked out.

Seth Davis is outraged by this comment and will soon be writing an "article" about how you owe Adam an apology. Be forewarned.

CEF1959
10-26-2009, 04:41 PM
All things being equal, it'd be better to have HB than RS if that's the choice. But HB is projected as the number 1 player selected in the 2011 NBA draft. I doubt RS would declare after only one year. He'd have to have an unexpectedly monster freshman year.

So... would it be better to have the services of HB for 1 year, or RS for 2-4 years? I don't think the answer is obvious.

Still, if I had to choose, I'd go with HB, even if the only reason is to keep him out of Roy's clutches. The thought of that guy smugly gloating yet again really turns my stomach.

Blueequalslife23
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't shoot me down here. Would you as a Duke fan rather see.... Harrison go to kansas, stay one year. And we get Roscoe Smith for 4 years. Or Get Harrison for one year and see Roscoe go to UCONN. ( Just interested to see what people say)

crimsonandblue
11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Don't shoot me down here. Would you as a Duke fan rather see.... Harrison go to kansas, stay one year. And we get Roscoe Smith for 4 years. Or Get Harrison for one year and see Roscoe go to UCONN. ( Just interested to see what people say)

I prefer the former.

airowe
11-06-2009, 11:03 AM

Barnes for a year, if I had to pick. With that lineup, we'd be preseason favorites to win it all. When you have a chance to win the title, you have to take it, you can't always plan for the future...

soccerstud2210
11-06-2009, 11:34 AM
@pe'shon howard Coach k in here early to roscoe smith where u @ @NdotSmitty

pe'shon howard is roscoe smith's teammate. coach k went oak hill's game in winston salem last night

airowe
11-06-2009, 11:44 AM

pe'shon howard is roscoe smith's teammate. coach k went oak hill's game in winston salem last night

I'm glad. Proactivity never lost anyone anything.

SilkyJ
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm glad. Proactivity never lost anyone anything.

yessir, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I wonder if how/if Nolan is working on Roscoe with the Oak Hill connection they now share...

soccerstud2210
11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
yessir, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I wonder if how/if Nolan is working on Roscoe with the Oak Hill connection they now share...

i am not sure. i know nolan and pe'shon reply back and forth on twitter and stuff

roscoe has a twitter but hasnt used it since back in august and i didnt see any mentions to nolan

DukeSince'77
11-06-2009, 01:45 PM
how did Roscoe play last night?? Anyone go to the game or have his stats??

soccerstud2210
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
how did Roscoe play last night?? Anyone go to the game or have his stats??

i think he had 1 pt... dont quote me on this, but 1 point on 0-6 FG, 0-3 3Pt FG, and 1-3 from the FT line

ChicagoCrazy84
11-06-2009, 08:18 PM
i think he had 1 pt... dont quote me on this, but 1 point on 0-6 FG, 0-3 3Pt FG, and 1-3 from the FT line

Can anyone get clarification on that? I know he went for 24 in their first game against Central Carolina in a big win. I know they won by 25 last night, so not much of a game, but 1 pt?

houstondukie
11-06-2009, 08:33 PM

I prefer the "Harrison Barnes to Duke for one year, Roscoe to UCONN for 4 years" scenario.

The reason is because we would also regain an extra scholarship after Barnes leaves. And with that scholarship we could offer another great one-and-done.

Your question is really asking do you prefer A.) Barnes (1 yr) + 3 scholarhip year equivalents...or, B.) Roscoe (4 yrs)

For example:

A.) Barnes (1 year) + Brad Beal (3 years)
B.) Roscoe Smith (4 years)

I choose A.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I think the scenario of HB for 1 year and RS for 4 years is stupid. I highly doubt RS stays for 4 years where ever he goes and i doubt HB only stays for 1 year where ever he goes(duke but i'm just saying) so i don't understand why we are even talking about this.

G man
11-07-2009, 12:04 AM
I think the scenario of HB for 1 year and RS for 4 years is stupid. I highly doubt RS stays for 4 years where ever he goes and i doubt HB only stays for 1 year where ever he goes(duke but i'm just saying) so i don't understand why we are even talking about this.

Because it is fun

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Thinking HB is only going to stay one year and RS is going to Uconn for 4 years is not fun to me.

SeattleIrish
11-07-2009, 12:50 AM
one point? Really?

I tried to find something posted on-line and couldn't get anything on the game.

s.i.

SilkyJ
11-07-2009, 03:06 AM

do you have anything to support your doubts regarding the length of stays for HB and RS? Totally dismissing someone as you did should require more than just "i think its stupid"

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-07-2009, 03:22 AM
do you have anything to support your doubts regarding the length of stays for HB and RS? Totally dismissing someone as you did should require more than just "i think its stupid"

Of course not but like you i have my own opinion and that is having a conversation about if you would rather have HB at duke for 1 year RS at uconn for 4 years is stupid because none of us not even HB or RS know how long they're staying for.

flyingdutchdevil
11-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Of course not but like you i have my own opinion and that is having a conversation about if you would rather have HB at duke for 1 year RS at uconn for 4 years is stupid because none of us not even HB or RS know how long they're staying for.

It's called speculation. It's what we do with recruiting. Lighten up a little

SilkyJ
11-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I just like this part:

do you have anything to support your doubts regarding the length of stays for HB and RS?

Of course not .

having a conversation about if you would rather have HB at duke for 1 year RS at uconn for 4 years is stupid because none of us not even HB or RS know how long they're staying

Sure no one knows when they'll turn pro. No one knows if Kyle is going to be a top 5 player in college, but people still project him as as an All-American, so is that stupid as well? I personally don't think so. I don't think its worth paying much attention to, but I don't think its stupid.

I also think that if you really believe that the pondering/discussing of that scenario is "stupid," that Coach K might have something to say about that. When someone might leave effects future recruiting plans, overall team chemistry and cohesiveness (a big factor for Coach).

Now, here's some underlying logic to why I don't think its stupid:

HB is considered by many to be the #1 recruit, and a consensus top 3. Roscoe smith is more like top 25. With that type of disparity and its very reasonable to assume that HB will excel in college before RS, or at least at a higher level. So assuming he might turn pro at an earlier stage seems pretty reasonable as well, especially when considering the fact that this guy is a/the TOP recruit. The percentage of "top 5" guys out of HS who turn pro early has got to be way higher than the guys who are more like 15-25 or any other segmentation you can think of. (Now there are other factors like academics which affect decisions and its hard to know just how much that will end up factoring in, even with anything they say now. See Deng, Luol. At the end of the day, $3-4 million dollars of guaranteed money over 2-3 years is still a lot of money. But thats not even the point.) The point is that assuming HB might leave before RS, even without knowing their plans, is completely reasonable speculation.

johnb
11-08-2009, 01:58 PM

this post reminds me of the evolving nature of language, though it might also be a sign of the apocalypse.

Indoor66
11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
this post reminds me of the evolving nature of language, though it might also be a sign of the apocalypse.

The latter rather than the former. ;)

Duvall
11-10-2009, 11:08 AM
The latter rather than the former. ;)

Nah, it's just proof that technology is cyclical (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/opinion/03schott.html?emc=eta1).

Duke09
11-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Is it Roscoe Smith?

Jumbo
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I think the next play is a game. Tonight. Isn't focusing on the group we have -- and the actual games they play -- a lot more fun, interesting and productive than worrying about what 17-year-old kids will decide?

Duke4life92
I sure hope they planned for this(assuming since roscoe still had duke in final 3)and have already offered roscoe :( i sure hope we give'em hell next year when he comes to visit.

ChicagoCrazy84
It has to be. If we don't get him, it will be a complete failure. Kyrie Irving is all well and good, but we need some versatility in our frontcourt to go with him.

-bdbd
11-13-2009, 04:31 PM
It seems obvious that Mr. Smith is our next recruiting destination. He's supposedly a great slasher, defender, speedy sorta guy. That would seem to be a clear need for us going into next (and this) season.

Just a reminder, however, that he is NOT a lock for Duke. Let's keep those fingers crossed. Roscoe would be a terrific "get."

Go Duke!

-BDBD :)

Jumbo
11-13-2009, 04:33 PM
It has to be. If we don't get him, it will be a complete failure. Kyrie Irving is all well and good, but we need some versatility in our frontcourt to go with him.

A "complete failure?" Get some perspective. If Singler comes back, Duke has a sick amount of talent on the perimeter next year: Kyle, Nolan, Irving, Dawkins, Curry, Hairston, Thornton. That's more than enough to be really, really good.

This is why I try to avoid recruiting.

whereinthehellami
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I feel for Coach, it must feel like a real kick in the pants.

Duke09
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
wish I could. I always feel ridiculous caring so much about what 16-18 year olds do. Especially now that I'm older than them. But championships are built in part by recruiting

Blueequalslife23
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
This kid can shoot. He is a 4 year player. 6'7 SF and the versatility is there. Lets get this kid and finish out a GREAT class. Duke basketball is no wheres close to being out of a National championship because of Harrison Barnes. We play UNC twice!!! That's it!! He is a great player, yes. But He chose to be a hole. Now lets hope Roscoe's "Wait and see" decision has DUKE in it.

K-Duke
11-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I realize he's getting talked about in the "Next Play" thread, but as Jumbo said there, the next play really is the game tonight... But as far as recruiting goes, for those who are so inclined, the focus definitely switches to Roscoe now!

Franzez
11-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Well....Coach K must have been wrong on Harrison.

If he can somehow get Roscoe at this point after what I've heard regarding the situation, it would be amazing.

Paging Julian Washburn makes a lot of sense.

Franzez
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I feel for Coach, it must feel like a real kick in the pants.
I was completely shocked by the decision.

I was 99% sure it would be Duke.

Faison1
11-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Brutal.....My hat is off to K for being able to perservere through this type of stuff.......

DukeCO2009
11-13-2009, 04:45 PM
This "next play" talk is just annoying. Can't we all just be disappointed for a bit?

Indoor66
11-13-2009, 04:46 PM
This "next play" talk is just annoying. Can't we all just be disappointed for a bit?

Sure, on your own time.

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 04:47 PM

You can't be serious.

First of all, Kyrie was a HUGE get, and as many have said was in most ways more important than Barnes.

Second, even if Kyle doesn't come back we're stacked in the frontcourt. Especially since with all the guard depth we're going to have there will only be two frontcourt players in the game at most times.

Third, Roscoe Smith is supposed to be a good player, but he's ranked lower than Josh Hairston, who has already signed a letter of intent for Duke.

But more important than the fact that Roscoe Smith will not be a "savior" for Duke is the fact that Duke doesn't need to be saved.

AlaskanAssassin
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I really hope Coach K catches Roscoe now. I also hope that if we do catch him, he'll try to prove himself that he will be just as good as hb-if not, better.

vango
11-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Did I read in the past month that HB and Smith are chippy. That they have gotten into it before?

I'll take passion and talent over talent anyday.

Everyone is different - but I'm someone who would want to play against the supposed best. Wonder if it helps us with him that HB is next door.

arnie
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
A "complete failure?" Get some perspective. If Singler comes back, Duke has a sick amount of talent on the perimeter next year: Kyle, Nolan, Irving, Dawkins, Curry, Hairston, Thornton. That's more than enough to be really, really good.

I think that statement kind of sums it up. We can be very good, but its hard to believe we will contend for a national championship any time soon. Of course we're all spoiled with the last 25 years, but I do remember the mid 70s watching the tournament thinking how great it would be if Duke were participating.

BD80
11-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I really hope Coach K catches Roscoe now. I also hope that if we do catch him, he'll try to prove himself that he will be just as good as hb-if not, better.

I like the thought that is a kid that can control a game on defense. With the backcourt we will have for the next couple years, Roscoe won't have to create his own offense, he needs good hands and a good basketball IQ to capitalize on the offense created by our guards.

Roscoe sounds like a winner. A guy that would enjoy the opportunity to shut HB down.

dukebb444
11-13-2009, 05:09 PM
So, have we offered Roscoe? I've seen where he has a scholly offer and seen where he doesn't..... Does anyone know definitely?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I like the thought that is a kid that can control a game on defense. With the backcourt we will have for the next couple years, Roscoe won't have to create his own offense, he needs good hands and a good basketball IQ to capitalize on the offense created by our guards.

Roscoe sounds like a winner. A guy that would enjoy the opportunity to shut HB down.

If Roscoe is a lock-down defender (as I've also heard) there's absolutely a place for him. OTOH, we're doing pretty well on SF-type players (Dawkins, Hairston, Czyz) next year, so I can see a good case for going all-out for a 2011 superstar. I'll be curious to see which way the staff chooses to go.

yancem
11-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Did I read in the past month that HB and Smith are chippy. That they have gotten into it before?

I'll take passion and talent over talent anyday.

Everyone is different - but I'm someone who would want to play against the supposed best. Wonder if it helps us with him that HB is next door.

True but from all that I have read Barnes has passion as well so Smith to Duke could be a double edged sword. Still, I hope that we are not out of it with Smith. It would be nice to have an athletic 6'7' wing on the roster next year.

yancem
11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
One thing to keep in mind is Shavlik Randolph was looked at as a guy that could help unc catch back up to Duke talent wise. Instead, he signed with Duke and ended up as primarily a role player.

Now Barnes looks to be a complete stud and very well may lead unc to the championship next season. Then again, he could get injured or for some reason not transition to the college game as expected.

My point is, although things look bleak now, there is no way of knowing how things will turn out until they happen. I would rather lament Barnes' decision after it has actually meant the difference on the court.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-13-2009, 05:18 PM
If Roscoe is a lock-down defender (as I've also heard) there's absolutely a place for him. OTOH, we're doing pretty well on SF-type players (Dawkins, Hairston, Czyz) next year, so I can see a good case for going all-out for a 2011 superstar. I'll be curious to see which way the staff chooses to go.

Im sorry, but I have to disagree completely. #1-Dawkins is not wing player. Maybe in a few years or something, but I would much rather have someone like Roscoe to complement him on the perimeter. #2- This is Duke, we should have someone other than Olek Czyz who is very raw and unproven, take on HB and other ACC SF's. #3- Who is to say we don't miss out on our top 2011 recruits as well?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Im sorry, but I have to disagree completely. #1-Dawkins is not wing player. Maybe in a few years or something, but I would much rather have someone like Roscoe to complement him on the perimeter. #2- This is Duke, we should have someone other than Olek Czyz who is very raw and unproven, take on HB and other ACC SF's. #3- Who is to say we don't miss out on our top 2011 recruits as well?

I wouldn't dismiss Hairston out of hand, but ok. If the staff thinks we have a big hole at the 3 (esp. if Kyle takes off after the season) let's grab Smith. I'm not saying we shouldn't take him, just that I could imagine the staff going more than one way.

I will say the fact that there is bad blood between Smith and Barnes does make me want him a bit more, since I'd love to have a guy with a chip on his shoulder working to lock Barnes down. We'll see, I suppose.

El_Diablo
11-13-2009, 05:26 PM
This is Duke, we should have someone other than Olek Czyz who is very raw and unproven, take on HB and other ACC SF's.

Kyle Singler?

ChicagoCrazy84
11-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Kyle Singler?

Well obviously, but I give it a 25% chance of us having him back. The guy is a projected lottery pick and I can't imagine his stock taking any kind of hit this year.

Oriole Way
11-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Obviously I would love to have Smith now, but I really doubt he would come here after Duke made it obvious that he was a backup plan to Barnes.

G man
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Instead of us all getting after each other we need to find out what are chances really are with this kid! He appears to be a very good! I am pissed off about what happened today, but I still think Kyire was more important! We do need a long defender on the wing. That is probably Rocoe's best part of his game! Monster shot blocker. I hope we get him! remember everyone tournament games are usually won by great guards. We have some

JaMarcus Russell
11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Here is some info in case anyone is interested.

UConn, Georgetown, and Duke are clearly Roscoe's three finalists. I took a look at Scout to see which players each school is targeting at the 2/3/4 positions, and this is what I got. Keep in mind this is free info so it isn't exactly groundbreaking.

Georgetown is looking at the most post players, with Smith, Jelan Kendrick (top 10 national recruit), and Tony Mitchell. They also have Nate Lubick, an undersized power forward, as a commitment. I'm not sure if he has signed.

UConn has JayVaughn Pinkston, Smith, and Doron Lamb (an undersized shooting guard) has prospects.

Duke has just Roscoe Smith, at least for now. Josh Hairston is the only commitment who plays anything close to Smith's position.

airowe
11-13-2009, 06:09 PM
You can't be serious.

First of all, Kyrie was a HUGE get, and as many have said was in most ways more important than Barnes.

Second, even if Kyle doesn't come back we're stacked in the frontcourt. Especially since with all the guard depth we're going to have there will only be two frontcourt players in the game at most times.

Third, Roscoe Smith is supposed to be a good player, but he's ranked lower than Josh Hairston, who has already signed a letter of intent for Duke.

But more important than the fact that Roscoe Smith will not be a "savior" for Duke is the fact that Duke doesn't need to be saved.

Thank you guys for having some perspective here.

airowe
11-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Well obviously, but I give it a 25% chance of us having him back. The guy is a projected lottery pick and I can't imagine his stock taking any kind of hit this year.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Kewlswim
11-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Obviously I would love to have Smith now, but I really doubt he would come here after Duke made it obvious that he was a backup plan to Barnes.

Hi,

We don't know what Smith is thinking. Smith wasn't a "backup" plan at all. Barnes was the #1 recruit in the land and Duke as a perennial power went after him hard. It would have been disingenuous to tell Smith he was the first choice when Barnes was out there...now that Barnes has cast his lot maybe Smith would like a piece of him while wearing a Duke uni. This could be fun. :)

GO DUKE!

JaMarcus Russell
11-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Agreed, and if my post shows anything, it's that UConn and Georgetown are both looking at a variety of players as well.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Agreed, and if my post shows anything, it's that UConn and Georgetown are both looking at a variety of players as well.

I agree. We have always been up front with Roscoe and our situation as I am sure GU and UCONN have as well. I don't think Roscoe will have any hard feelings in this siutation. As a matter of fact, this could be a great opportunity now for him. If he thinks like that, then this could be good for us.

juise
11-13-2009, 06:51 PM

I agree with Kewlswim and JaMarcus to some extent. I would also add that Roscoe's decision to hold off on signing could very well have been tied to the HB saga. I believe that he has not yet taken an official visit yet and have not seen confirmation that Duke has even offered a scholarship. And yet, Duke is among the final 3 for this top-20/30 recruit. Let's see what happens. I like our chances, to be honest.

RockyMtDevil
11-13-2009, 06:56 PM
We've got a 3 spot waiting on you!

CDu
11-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Dawkins is the definition of a wing player. He's not a point guard, and he's not a post player. That's a wing player. He may or may not be a prototypical college "3" (though he's pretty close), and he may not be suited to match up with Barnes, but he's absolutely a wing player.

Conversely, I'd say that Hairston is the one who is not really a wing player. He's supposed to be more of a post-oriented "college 4" type.

I know next to nothing about Smith and even less about players in the 2011 class, so I'll defer comment on whether we should go after Smith or wait until 2011.

duke09hms
11-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Hope Coach K puts on the full court press for Roscoe now. I'd like to see him lock down HB next year.

I know these things run in cycles, but how much longer can UNC's run of dominance last? Gees

JaMarcus Russell
11-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know about his academics? I am hoping that he is fully qualified (and not by the skim of his teeth) so an Eric Bledsoe situation can be avoided. All I know about Roscoe is that he attended Walbrook HS in Baltimore until this year, and he has switched to Oak Hill this year most likely to increase his profile as a high school basketball player.

Duke's taken a couple of guys from Oak Hill (Nolan and Will Avery) and Steve Smith is known for being fair and not leading kids to a specific school unlike some other coaches at basketball powers.

-bdbd
11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I think that statement kind of sums it up. We can be very good, but its hard to believe we will contend for a national championship any time soon. Of course we're all spoiled with the last 25 years, but I do remember the mid 70s watching the tournament thinking how great it would be if Duke were participating.

Before so many start following Chicken Little here, the sky is most definitely NOT falling! Yes, it's a bummer re. HB. But it isn't the end of the world. Having been a Dukie for 30+ years, I can tell you with certainty that there were other very prominent recruits that we missed on in the couple years preceeding K's various NC's. We recovered quite nicely from those too, thank-you-very-much. And boy do we have a great recruiting class regardless...

Let's paint a scenario for next year - not "out there" at all - that we get Roscoe and Kyle stays for his senior year (I hear that isn't a stretch). We have a terrific line-up capable of making a real run at the NC. Imagine starting Singler, Mason P., Irving and 2 of either Roscoe Smith/Curry/N. Smith/Dawkins, with front court depth including Miles P., Ryan, Hairston. That is absolutely a deep, NC caliber team! Obviously things have to break right, and chemistry will be key, and yes HB woulda helped, but we will absolutely be capable of a title run (and probably among the top-6 or so pre-season). That's all you can ask for -- a shot. (It isn't like the '90-91 season or '00-01 started off with Duke as a NC lock either!) We'll have a good shot. Really.

One last thing. While I would have loved to get HB like the rest of you, a case can ceretainly be made that a Roscoe Smith will have more college impact than HB -- especially if HB leaves after one year and Mr. Smith stays for four!! (There have certainnly been several cases where Duke has gone after the slightly-less heralded recruit rather than pursue the big "name" one who's likely to leave after just a year or two... (ask Kerlina how it worked out when the focused on Kenny Anderson while Duke "settled" on heretofor UNC fan Bobby Hurley...). Just saying, this COULD work out for the best...you just never know "until they play the games..."

-BDBD :cool:
"The glass is MORE than half full folks!"

Jackson
11-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Before so many start following Chicken Little here, the sky is most definitely NOT falling! Yes, it's a bummer re. HB. But it isn't the end of the world. Having been a Dukie for 30+ years, I can tell you with certainty that there were other very prominent recruits that we missed on in the couple years preceeding K's various NC's. We recovered quite nicely from those too, thank-you-very-much. And boy do we have a great recruiting class regardless...

Let's paint a scenario for next year - not "out there" at all - that we get Roscoe and Kyle stays for his senior year (I hear that isn't a stretch). We have a terrific line-up capable of making a real run at the NC. Imagine starting Singler, Mason P., Irving and 2 of either Roscoe Smith/Curry/N. Smith/Dawkins, with front court depth including Miles P., Ryan, Hairston. That is absolutely a deep, NC caliber team! Obviously things have to break right, and chemistry will be key, and yes HB woulda helped, but we will absolutely be capable of a title run (and probably among the top-6 or so pre-season). That's all you can ask for -- a shot. (It isn't like the '90-91 season or '00-01 started off with Duke as a NC lock either!) We'll have a good shot. Really.

One last thing. While I would have loved to get HB like the rest of you, a case can ceretainly be made that a Roscoe Smith will have more college impact than HB -- especially if HB leaves after one year and Mr. Smith stays for four!! (There have certainnly been several cases where Duke has gone after the slightly-less heralded recruit rather than pursue the big "name" one who's likely to leave after just a year or two... (ask Kerlina how it worked out when the focused on Kenny Anderson while Duke "settled" on heretofor UNC fan Bobby Hurley...). Just saying, this COULD work out for the best...you just never know "until they play the games..."

You said exactly how I feel but much better than I could have! Excellent post!

yancem
11-13-2009, 08:30 PM

Many people also bemoan the loss of Brandon Wright to UNC. How well did that work out? He was a solid player as a freshman that then landed in the nba lottery. No NC no F4. Also, we celebrated landing McRoberts and thought he would be the piece to get us back to the F4. Instead, he left after 2 years and Hansolo sticks around for unc and takes them to 2 F4s and a NC.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I think some of you guys are missing the point. Look, I know we'll be good. We could very well be a 30 win team next year with or without Kyle or Roscoe. The problem is deeper than that. I can speak for everyone when I say we are sick and tired of UNC having the upper hand on us. Sweet 16's are all well and good, but we all want to be in the Final Four right next to UNC. We haven't been to a Final Four since 2004 and in my eyes, Harrison was the ticket to get right back there. UNC has been to how many final fours since '04? And how many championships have they won? This is just a pattern that I don't like to see.

Exiled_Devil
11-13-2009, 08:55 PM
. UNC has been to how many final fours since '04? And how many championships have they won? This is just a pattern that I don't like to see.

They've been to 3 and won 2 championships.

Since 2000, we have been to 2 and won 1.

Since 1999, we have been to 3 and won 1.

UNC has been to 3 and won 2 in that time frame.

They are marginally better than us in the last decade.

NSDukeFan
11-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I think some of you guys are missing the point. Look, I know we'll be good. We could very well be a 30 win team next year with or without Kyle or Roscoe. The problem is deeper than that. I can speak for everyone when I say we are sick and tired of UNC having the upper hand on us. Sweet 16's are all well and good, but we all want to be in the Final Four right next to UNC. We haven't been to a Final Four since 2004 and in my eyes, Harrison was the ticket to get right back there. UNC has been to how many final fours since '04? And how many championships have they won? This is just a pattern that I don't like to see.

Are you sure it is everyone else that is missing the point? I think that a 30 win team is pretty good and gives us a chance to win the whole thing. I would guess that the Duke squad is not quite willing to concede the advantage to UNC for the future. Yes, they did better the last few years with TFH sticking around for 4 years, but I like our chances better than theirs this year, and if Kyle sticks around next year, it doesn't matter how good Barnes is, we should still be the better team. We have a great chance to make a FF or more the next few years. Keep your head up, things are looking good. I would actually like to be in the final four without UNC, if I had my preference.

speedevil2001
11-13-2009, 09:07 PM
i read in one of these threads that roscoe doesnt like barnes!!!

in that case, lets get roscoe on board and let him go at it against barnes.

77devil
11-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Data can often be selected or manipulated as one desires, as we all know. Now if the time frame is after 2004, what is the result? UNC 3 and 2, Duke goose eggs. This is a much more relevant comparison since Ol' Roy arrived in 2004. I'll take K any day. Roy's country boy facade is soo disingenuous. But one cannot deny that it's working.

airowe
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Duke is also the winningest program in this decade. We have a Top 10 team this year and a Top 10 recruiting class coming next year.

Sorry if I don't join people in saying that the sky is falling.

CDu
11-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Actually, UNC has been to 4 and won 2 in that time frame. And has been noted, they've been to 3 and won 2 since we've last been to one. And that coincides with the arrival of Williams.

Things go in cycles, but right now it doesn't seem like UNC is anywhere near the downside of this cycle. That's why people are concerned.

CDu
11-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Duke is also the winningest program in this decade. We have a Top 10 team this year and a Top 10 recruiting class coming next year.

Sorry if I don't join people in saying that the sky is falling.

The sky is not falling. It's just that sky appears to be falling even LESS down the road.

RelativeWays
11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Lets not pencil in anyone in this line up until they actually commit. I think R Smith will end up at UConn personally and we'll save the scholy for Rivers or some other person. After this I will not follow recruiting any more. I honestly find it to tiring to keep up with these kids and their decisions. So until they issue a verbal or sign an LOI, it doesn't matter who they are or what their names are to me.

CDu
11-13-2009, 09:20 PM
After this I will not follow recruiting any more. I honestly find it to tiring to keep up with these kids and their decisions. So until they issue a verbal or sign an LOI, it doesn't matter who they are or what their names are to me.

That's probably a good idea. Ultimately, people will commit (or not) in due time.

airowe
11-13-2009, 09:21 PM
The sky is not falling. It's just that sky appears to be falling even LESS down the road.

Indeed it does, indeed it does. Hopefully we start changing that on floor this year.

Blueequalslife23
11-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Does anyone remember when this kid was a supposed unc lock? Kids got skills. He's no " Plan B" by far. Go get em Coach K.

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I can speak for everyone when I say we are sick and tired of UNC having the upper hand on us. Sweet 16's are all well and good, but we all want to be in the Final Four right next to UNC.

Sorry, but you don't speak for me. Everyone wants to be in the Final Four. The problem is you expect to be there. It's not a birthright, it's a privilege when we're lucky enough to experience it. It's not entirely your fault. A lot of people who started rooting for Duke in 1986 or afterwards feel this way.

Another thing you don't seem to understand is these things go in cycles. When I was a senior at Duke, UNC won the national championship after making the title game the year before, while Duke went 10-17. During my four years we only went to the Sweet Sixteen once (actually got to the Final Eight), and we were thrilled to get that far. But just a few years later, Duke started a 7 Final Four in 9 year stretch, including two titles, while the Heels went to Final Four "only" twice. Even after that historic run of Duke Final Fours, we dominated UNC for most of the next 12 years, before the pendulum swung back to them five years ago. It's cyclical and there's little you can do except savor the up cycles and grit your teeth through the down ones.

Actually, I'm pretty sure UNC went to the Final Four in 2000, so it's 4 and 2 for them vs. 3 and 1 for us.

Still, you're point is a valid one. Five years is too short a timeframe to pin labels on programs. Getting to the Final Four is too much about luck (as well as skill) to use such a small sample size.

Also, I believe we won more total games than UNC in the ten year timespan, so it's not like they've entirely outclassed us.

Spam Filter
11-13-2009, 09:39 PM
UNC has had the upper hand in this rivalry lately.

But honestly, the person who I've always looked to to help reverse the trend was Irving, not Barnes.

Good PG play has been missing from Duke since 2004 and that's why we have no gone far in the tournament.

You can't win every recruiting battle, and if you asked me a month ago that I can only have one of KI or HB, I'd have taken KI and walked away a happy fan.

Saratoga2
11-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Duke recruits good students who are also excellent athletes. Those types of kids are few and far between. When we have a good shot at one it is a bigger loss than for UNC or UCONN who I believe are more willing to take good players without the good academic backgrounds.

I hope Roscoe is a real possibility as a good student with excellent athletic ability. Best wishes to coach K in landing an alternative to Harrison Barnes.

Duke4life92
11-13-2009, 10:20 PM
So, have we offered Roscoe? I've seen where he has a scholly offer and seen where he doesn't..... Does anyone know definitely?

Don't know definitively but I've also seen site's listing roscoe as being offered by duke and that he say's he has decided amongst the 3 teams he had narrowed his list down to,but was waiting for some things to sort out before he commited to that team.Well i hope hb's decision is what he was waiting on ;)

miramar
11-13-2009, 10:30 PM
i read in one of these threads that roscoe doesnt like barnes!!!

I hate to take things personally, but I can't say that I blame him.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't have a subscription, but Devils Den has reported that the coaching staff was in fact in contact with Roscoe Smith today. Good move. This kid has serious game, especially on the defensive end and even though he wasn't our top priority, he should be now and we should all make him feel that he is no consolation prize if/when he comes for an official visit.

Devilsfan
11-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Hope they're right because all these ramdom thoughts are going through my mind right now and I don't like them but I HATE losing....
Bobby Bowden, Joe Pa, Notre Dame football, taking your eye off the ball to focus on the olympics, getting beat in recruiting by a good old boy wanna-be, and a not so pure Memphis/KY coach.... OUCH!!!

Devilsfan
11-14-2009, 01:09 AM
I hope Coach K gets really mad at losing to the "bumpkin from the hill" and it reflects in future recruiting and coaching and we finally get past the sweet 16 again.

RockyMtDevil
11-14-2009, 01:10 AM
We need a stick it in your grill defender. Welcome Roscoe, looking forward to sticking to Harrison Barnes!

Kewlswim
11-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Why do Barnes and Smith not get along?

Thanks

GO DUKE!

cbnaylor
11-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I as well believe that Roscoe Smith will be a Dukie within the next couple weeks. He said after Irving becoming a Dukie that he had already made his mind up but was waiting to see how things played out. What he was waiting on was if Barnes was going to Duke or not. Simple, If he went to Duke, Smith goes to Georgetown. If Barnes goes elsewhere, then he comes to Duke. Even though I was A LITTLE UPSET YESTERDAY, I feel that we will still be ok and Smith is by no means a bad player at all. Maybe just maybe Smith will be motivated to show to Duke that they made the right choice and he will prove that he's better than Barnes.

Lets go Duke.

diveonthefloor
11-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Folks in Baltimore say Roscoe is a top notch player and an exceptional defender. Can anyone comfirm the defensive statement?

FireOgilvie
11-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Folks in Baltimore say Roscoe is a top notch player and an exceptional defender. Can anyone comfirm the defensive statement?

Yes.

Roscoe is also just as good of an athlete or better as far as leaping ability as Barnes. Barnes is better at probably almost everything else, except maybe shot-blocking, but Roscoe is very good. I think he's underrated. He would definitely be an important addition to our team. I think he'd play a bigger role than both Hairston and Thornton in their freshman year.