PDA

View Full Version : Seth Curry/U19 World Championship

Bob Green
07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Seth Curry scored 12 points in 16 minutes as USA pounded Iran 106-55 (http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2009/09_mu19_stats/09_mu19_game_01_box.pdf) in their opening game (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mu19_game_01) at the U19 World Championship being held in New Zealand.

chrishoke
07-02-2009, 07:59 AM
2-5 on three pointers but no assists and three TOs.

kramerbr
07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
2-5 on three pointers but no assists and three TOs.

Not sure you can get an accurate reading by judging his assist/turnover ratio in a 50 pt blow out.

Bob Green
07-02-2009, 06:06 PM
The USA vs. France game just tip-off. Live statistics are available here:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/3696/00/78/77/64jkGkG4FLHY/

chrishoke
07-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Seth is 2-3 on threes and has 6 points at half. USA leads 35-20.

mgtr
07-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I will readily admit that I never heard of any of these players except Curry before this series. Are these 2011 recruit possibilities?

roywhite
07-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I will readily admit that I never heard of any of these players except Curry before this series. Are these 2011 recruit possibilities?

http://www.usabasketball.com/men_team.php?page=mu19wc_roster

Here's a roster, mgtr.

I believe all these guys have finished one year as college players.

Seems like Curry is emerging as a key shooter and one of the best players on this team.

sagegrouse
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Seth was USA's leading scorer with 12 points on 4 of 7 shooting from 3pt land.

sagegrouse

Bob Green
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Chalk up another win (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mu19_game2) for USA Basketball, 71-55 (http://www.newzealand2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/u19men/p/gid/3/grid/B/rid/6972/game.html) over France. Seth Curry was the leading scorer with 12 points on 4-7 shooting from behind the 3-point arc.

Newton_14
07-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Chalk up another win for USA Basketball, 71-55 over France. Seth Curry was the leading scorer with 12 points on 4-7 shooting from behind the 3-point arc.

Loving it. Thanks for sharing. Seth looks like a promising player. I look forward to seeing him in his Duke uniform!

Go Seth and Go Duke.

moonpie23
07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
are any of these games being televised??? espn 360? internet?

airowe
07-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I wonder the same thing. It would be nice to see Curry's defensive showings and how he is working on his self-professed transition to getting his teammates more involved in the game. Some things don't show up in a boxscore or a recap.

BulldogDancer81
07-02-2009, 11:43 PM

Well don't be surprised if you hear more about Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward next year. They are both starters for the Butler Bulldogs, a team that should be ranked in the top 10-15 most of next year if they play to their potential.

Now outside of them and Curry the only other player I know is Darius Miller of Kentucky.

Bob Green
07-02-2009, 11:43 PM

Possibly on FIBA TV (http://www.fibatv.com/page/Video/0,,12805,00.html).

BulldogDancer81
07-02-2009, 11:53 PM

If the US wins their group (they are in Group B) then they will move onto the quarterfinals and that is when the games become available for watching live online. That will start July 10.

U-19 World Championship 2009
$8.00 / €6.00
Instant access (ends 13-07-09)
Watch the Quarter Finals onwards LIVE from 10-07-09.
Enjoy full game replays, plus highlights & interviews

There should be a link to subscribe somewhere on this site. (http://www.fibatv.com/page/Championships/0,,12805,00.html) Sorry I don't have the direct link.

Bob Green
07-03-2009, 03:12 AM
If the US wins their group (they are in Group B) then they will move onto the quarterfinals....

Actually, preliminary play consist of four groups with each group containing four teams (16 teams total) and the top three teams in each group move on to the second round. The top three teams from Group A and Group B become second round Group E; the top three teams from Group C and Group D become second round Group F.

In the second round, each team plays the three teams they didn't face in the first round. Then based on total record from preliminary play and the second round combined, six games total, the top four teams from Group E and Group F advance to the Quarterfinals.

sagegrouse
07-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Actually, preliminary play consist of four groups with each group containing four teams (16 teams total) and the top three teams in each group move on to the second round. The top three teams from Group A and Group B become second round Group E; the top three teams from Group C and Group D become second round Group F.

In the second round, each team plays the three teams they didn't face in the first round. Then based on total record from preliminary play and the second round combined, six games total, the top four teams from Group E and Group F advance to the Quarterfinals.

Thanks for clearing this up!

sagegrouse

BulldogDancer81
07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Bob thanks for the clear up. I think I knew that but I was rushing when I was typing out my post and wasn't thinking everything through clearly.

miramar
07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
In 38 minutes of basketball, he has scored 24 points, with 8/16 from the field (6/12 3 PT). He also has 7 boards, but 5 fouls and 5 TOs with only one assist. I don't know how we (and the rest of the ACC) missed out on him (and his brother) but better late than never.

miramar
07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
If I understand this correctly, New Zealand is 16 hours later than EST, so the Saturday 11:00 AM game vs. Egypt starts Friday at 7:00 PM EST. Or maybe it starts on Sunday for all I know.

JasonEvans
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Well don't be surprised if you hear more about Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward next year. They are both starters for the Butler Bulldogs, a team that should be ranked in the top 10-15 most of next year if they play to their potential.

Now outside of them and Curry the only other player I know is Darius Miller of Kentucky.

They may be no-names to ya'll, but a lot of these players are very good. You may not hear their names on ESPN all that often because they don't all attend major program schools, but you'll be hearing several of their names in the next few NBA drafts.

Terrico White was a stud freshman wing last year. He averaged 13 ppg and several assists/rebounds per game for Mississippi. He was SEC Freshman of the Year. I expect him to be an NBA first round draft pick when he leaves college in a year or two.

Tyshawn Taylor is a great PG/SG prospect for Kansas. Even with Sharron Collins playing ahead of him, he averaged almost 10 ppg and 3 apg as a freshman. He's on the NBA radar, for sure.

Klay Thompson averaged 12.5 ppg and 4 rpg for Washington State last season as a freshman. He's a wing with a smooth stroke who shot better than 41% from 3-point range last year.

Arnett Moultrie is a 6-11 PF/C at UTEP but who seems to have some NBA potential too. He averaged better than 8 rebounds per game as a freshman. He actually even has some outside touch as he attempted 39 three pointers last year -- though he hit less than 30% of them.

Because so many of these kids were freshmen, you have not heard of them. That is not to be unexpected. But, many of the players on this team made All-freshman teams in their conferences. This is a good group of kids. You will be hearing a lot more about them in the future.

--Jason "Seth does seem to be the best of the bunch" Evans

JasonEvans
07-03-2009, 06:17 PM
By way of comparison, here are some of the guys who played on the U19 team in 2007 at the World Championships.

Michael Beasley (#1 pick in NBA draft)
Stephen Curry (big bro of Seth, lottery pick)
Johnny Flynn (lottery pick)
David Lighty (starter on some good Ohio State teams)
Patrick Beverly (2nd round NBA draft pick)
Matt Bouldin (starter and very good player for Gonzaga)
Deon Thompson (Tarheel... we hate him)
Donte Greene (first round draft pick in 2008)
Raymar Morgan (starter and very good player for Michigan State)
Damion Hollis (starter and very good player for GW)
DeAndre Jordan (early 2nd round draft pick for LA Clippers)
Tajuan Porter (starting PG for Oregon, very good player)

Some darn good players in that bunch. About half of that team are guys who are going to earn nice sized paychecks in the NBA. Being one of the best players on the U19 World Championship team is a big deal... and that is just what Seth appears to be at this time.

As an aside, I think you could make a convincing argument that Deon Thompson is the guy on that list who has accomplished the least and had the least impact on his team. Never miss a chance to dump on a Tar Heel ;)

--Jason "I expect Seth to be All-ACC by the time he leaves Duke" Evans

Bob Green
07-03-2009, 06:43 PM
As an aside, I think you could make a convincing argument that Deon Thompson is the guy on that list who has accomplished the least and had the least impact on his team. Never miss a chance to dump on a Tar Heel ;)

--Jason "I expect Seth to be All-ACC by the time he leaves Duke" Evans

Deon Thompson continues to represent our country by playing on the USA Team competing at the World University Games in Belgrade. He scored eight points and grabbed seven rebounds as the USA dumped Finland 87-40:

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mwug_game_01

Bob "not always a Carolina hater" Green

Bob Green
07-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Seth Curry did not have a good game today as he scored only three points on 1-7 shooting (1-6 from 3-point land/0-2 from the charity stripe). However, the USA handed Egypt a 112-55 (http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2009/09_mu19_stats/09_mu19_game_03_box.pdf) beatdown to finish preliminary play at 3-0. Seven USA players scored in double digits (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=page=09_mu19_game3) with Pittsburgh's Ashton Gibbs leading the way with 18.

The game article at USA Basketball contains this quote from Coach Jamie Dixon:

“One of our goals was to finish the preliminary round with our group’s No. 1 seed and we achieved that today. Another goal of ours is to continue to improve throughout the tournament and over the last two games I think we have, especially defensively.”

Bob Green
07-04-2009, 06:46 PM
The U19 team has the day off, but at the World University Games in Belgrade, the USA defeated South Korea 113-76 (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mwug_game_02). Seven US players scored in double digits including ACC players Trevor Booker and Deon Thompson.

I really enjoy following these summertime international competitions.

Bob Green
07-06-2009, 05:39 AM
USA defeated Greece 85-69 (http://www.newzealand2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/u19men/p/gid/32/grid/E/rid/6975/game.html) to improve to 4-0 at the U19 World Championships in Auckland, New Zealand. Seth Curry struggled from the field for the second straight game as he scored 8 points on 2-10 shooting. He was 2-2 at the free throw line. Curry was the team's leading rebounder with six. Howard Thompkins (Georgia) led the USA (http://www.newzealand2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/u19men/news/p/eid/4034/nid/30863/sid/4034/game-report.html) with 22 points in 16:31 minutes.

Next up is Puerto Rico who improved to 3-1 today with an 90-89 victory over France. Mike Rosario (Rutgers) scored 54 points (http://www.newzealand2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/u19men/news/p/eid/4034/nid/30860/sid/4034/game-report.html) in the game. That's right - 54 points!!! He made nine 3-pointers, nine 2-pointers, and nine free throws.

moonpie23
07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
ok...you can post that under the WOW thread......video up yet?

Bob Green
07-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Team USA held Mike Rosario to 11 points (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mu19_game5) and improved to 5-0 with a 82-61 (http://www.newzealand2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/u19men/p/gid/40/grid/E/rid/6975/game.html) victory over Puerto Rico. Howard Thompkins just missed a double-double performance with 14 points and nine rebounds. Seth Curry chipped in nine points. Next up is Lithuania in the final game of the second round.

m g
07-07-2009, 09:19 AM
i think curry will be a great player for duke, but should we be concerned about his low shooting percentage, given that it was also low in the regular season for liberty?

roywhite
07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
i think curry will be a great player for duke, but should we be concerned about his low shooting percentage, given that it was also low in the regular season for liberty?

Just my opinion---A fairly high percentage of the shots that Seth takes are 3-pointers, and his percentage is reasonably good from 3. Areas for improvement in his game include driving to the basket and a more versatile mid-range game.

Still developing, but should be a good shooter for us, and a productive scorer in points per minutes played.

miramar
07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Just my opinion---A fairly high percentage of the shots that Seth takes are 3-pointers, and his percentage is reasonably good from 3. Areas for improvement in his game include driving to the basket and a more versatile mid-range game.

Still developing, but should be a good shooter for us, and a productive scorer in points per minutes played.

He was 3/10 from the field vs. PR and 2/8 from 3PT, so he's definitely taking a lot of threes but he just had an off day. While his shooting wasn't great, according to the USA Basketball site, he came through when it counted:

"During the game's deciding run Ashton Gibbs (Pittsburgh / Scotch Plains, N.J.) and Seth Curry (Duke / Charlotte, N.C.) each tallied six points, Terrico White (Mississipi/ Memphis Tenn.) contributed five points, and Howard Thompkins (Georgia/ Lethonia GA) added four more in the massive run."

The massive run was a 24-2 spurt during an eight-minute span from the 1Q to the 2Q. Rutgers' Mike Rasario scored 54 in Puerto Rico's last game vs. France, but managed only 11 against the US, so these guys are obviously playing some defense.

Tim1515
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
just my opinion but i think Seth will be a very good role player with Duke...but never great. He should be a little more dynamic offensively then someone like Scheyer...maybe more of a Daniel Ewing type. But he won't be near the defender that Jon is.

The good thing with Curry is he should pick up the offensive and defensive schemes really well at Duke which will earn him playing time.

Kfanarmy
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
just my opinion but i think Seth will be a very good role player with Duke...but never great. He should be a little more dynamic offensively then someone like Scheyer...maybe more of a Daniel Ewing type. But he won't be near the defender that Jon is.

The good thing with Curry is he should pick up the offensive and defensive schemes really well at Duke which will earn him playing time.

Seems a bit pessimistic view given that he will be practicing for a full season before playing in competition. I would think he will have developed significant defensive skills working against the caliber of players on Duke's roster for a year. I believe you will be impressed by his performance when he wears the Duke uniform in-game.

Tim1515
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Seems a bit pessimistic view given that he will be practicing for a full season before playing in competition. I would think he will have developed significant defensive skills working against the caliber of players on Duke's roster for a year. I believe you will be impressed by his performance when he wears the Duke uniform in-game.

I didn't say anything bad...Scheyer and Ewing were great Duke players. I just worry he's getting a little too much hype.

Oriole Way
07-07-2009, 02:53 PM

I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you here. I think Seth will be a great player, with the chance to make All-ACC first team by the time he's a senior.

Curry was impressive as a freshman, including against ACC competition. Even in a mid-major conference, his ability to score should translate well to the ACC, especially after a year of practicing with the team. He was the main option for Liberty and was a great scorer as a freshman. As a third year sophomore where he doesn't need to be the #1 scoring option, I expect him to flourish.

Also, your rationale doesn't make sense. You state that you expect Curry to be no more than a role player, but that you expect him to be more dynamic offensively than Jon Scheyer. I just don't see how Curry could be so bad defensively that he would only be a role player with a better/more dynamic offensive game than Scheyer. I think Curry will be fine defensively, and if you are right when you say that Curry will be better offensively in Scheyer, then that will make him a great player in my book. Certainly much more than a role player.

Tim1515
07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you here. I think Seth will be a great player, with the chance to make All-ACC first team by the time he's a senior.

Curry was impressive as a freshman, including against ACC competition. Even in a mid-major conference, his ability to score should translate well to the ACC, especially after a year of practicing with the team. He was the main option for Liberty and was a great scorer as a freshman. As a third year sophomore where he doesn't need to be the #1 scoring option, I expect him to flourish.

Also, your rationale doesn't make sense. You state that you expect Curry to be no more than a role player, but that you expect him to be more dynamic offensively than Jon Scheyer. I just don't see how Curry could be so bad defensively that he would only be a role player with a better/more dynamic offensive game than Scheyer. I think Curry will be fine defensively, and if you are right when you say that Curry will be better offensively in Scheyer, then that will make him a great player in my book. Certainly much more than a role player.

Some players excel when they're the main option on their team. You get an opportunity to get into a comfort zone...you're allowed to work your way through failure...bad shots...etc. Also, you have a huge sense of confidence being "the man" which can help you play to your highest potential.

I'm not saying Seth will be a bad player...comparing a kid who hasn't played a second for Duke to guys like Scheyer and Ewing is a huge compliment. I just think people need to temper their expectations of the kid and its my personal opinion that he will have some growing pains just being one of the many talented players on the team and playing in the ACC every night.

miramar
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
If Tim1515 is right and Curry turns into another Daniel Ewing, all I can say is that I would be very happy with that outcome.

Devilsfan
07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Curry might be one of many good players on Dukes squad as a whole, but one of a squad with very few experienced guards.

Bob Green
07-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Team USA improved to 6-0 with a tough 76-69 (http://www.newzealand2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/u19men/p/gid/46/grid/E/rid/6975/game.html) victory over Lithuania. Three USA players scored in double digits: Tyshawn Taylor (13), Klay Thompson (10), and Darius Miller (10). Seth Curry scored six points on 2 of 3 shooting from the field and 1 of 2 from the free throw line.

Next up is Canada in the quarterfinals on Friday at 4:30 am East Coast time.

In World University Games action, the United States improved to 4-0 (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mwug_game_04) with a 68-66 (http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2009/09_mwug_game_04_box.pdf) victory over host Serbia. Next up is Bulgaria in the quarterfinals.

flyingdutchdevil
07-08-2009, 08:14 AM
What position does Curry play for Team USA? Also, did he start against Lithuania?

miramar
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
What position does Curry play for Team USA? Also, did he start against Lithuania?

He played 16 minutes coming off the bench. This story has a link to the box score:

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mu19_game6

Smitty1911
07-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Team USA improved to 6-0 with a tough 76-69 (http://www.newzealand2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/u19men/p/gid/46/grid/E/rid/6975/game.html) victory over Lithuania. Three USA players scored in double digits: Tyshawn Taylor (13), Klay Thompson (10), and Darius Miller (10). Seth Curry scored six points on 2 of 3 shooting from the field and 1 of 2 from the free throw line.

Next up is Canada in the quarterfinals on Friday at 4:30 am East Coast time.

In World University Games action, the United States improved to 4-0 (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mwug_game_04) with a 68-66 (http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2009/09_mwug_game_04_box.pdf) victory over host Serbia. Next up is Bulgaria in the quarterfinals.

Not Seth Curry related, but I don't recall any of our guys trying out for the World University Games. Anyone know why? At a minimum, I would think Kyle could get Robbie Hummel's spot. The roster seems to have some top talent (i.e., not a B-list event). Just curious if anyone has some insight.

Bob Green
07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
At the World University Games, the USA advanced to the semi-finals with a 96-66 blowout over Bulgaria. The USA made 16-29 three point shots and five players scored in double figures:

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mwug_game_05

Newton_14
07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I was fortunate enough today to catch a radio interview with Stephen Curry on one of the national talk radio shows. Very good interview!

He was asked about his brother Seth and the situation at Duke. Steph stated that his brother was in a great situation, the family felt that Coach K was the perfect coach for him as K's approach with guards would really help Seth in his development.

Of course he is biased, but when asked what he expected out of Seth once he actually got to play games for Duke, Stephen stated that after spending a year in the Duke system and developing, he felt that Seth would make an immediate impact and would do great things on the court..

I know he is biased towards his brother, but I for one believe Seth will prove him right and will be really good right out of the gate. Seth and Dawkins together should immediately lift our backcourt to a whole new level.. Add in a Harrison Barnes and it would be even better...

roywhite
07-09-2009, 11:53 PM
By the way, does anyone else get warnings (This site may harm your computer) when accessing the usabasketball.com site?

I've accessed it without problems in the past, and it has excellent coverage of US in international competition.

Here's a warning from a google search.

http://www.google.com/search?q=usabasketball.com&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=

Bob Green
07-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Seth Curry scored 12 points on 4/5 shooting from behind the 3-point arc and the USA advanced to the semi-finals with a convincing 93-73 victory over Canada. Gordon Hayward was the team's leading scorer with 20 points, while Tyshawn Taylor and John Shurna chipped in 10 each. Arnett Moultrie recorded 11 rebounds.

Next up is Croatia at 04:30 am Saturday morning East Coast time.

miramar
07-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Seth is now averaging 8.9 PPG in only 19.6 minutes per game. He is shooting 42.9% from the field and 38.3% from 3PT, but surprisingly only 56.2% on FTs.

Bob Green
07-10-2009, 05:09 PM
BUMMER! At the World University Games, the USA has lost (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mwug_game_06) to Russia 69-68. We will play Israel for the Bronze Medal. Deon Thompson had a double-double, 12 points & 11 rebounds, in the loss. Russia dominated the fourth quarter.

Bluedog
07-10-2009, 05:12 PM
BUMMER! At the World University Games, the USA has lost (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mwug_game_06) to Russia 69-68. We will play Israel for the Bronze Medal. Deon Thompson had a double-double, 12 points & 11 rebounds, in the loss. Russia dominated the fourth quarter.

That's unfortunate. Penn State guard Talor Battle and Purdue's Robbie Hummel both had shot attempts to win it, but both missed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-07-10/us-men-fall-serbia-world-university-games

ChicagoCrazy84
07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Talor Battle 1-11 from the field in that game. Brutal.

Bob Green
07-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Seth Curry scored 10 points and USA U19 advanced to the championship game with a tough fought 81-77 victory over Croatia. Team USA made 10 of 12 free throw attempts down the stretch to eek out the victory. Gordon Hayward was the team's leading scorer with 15 points. Croatia outscored the USA 26-11 in the 3rd Quarter to take a two point advantage, but the USA persevered and secured the opportunity to play for the Gold Medal against Greece on Sunday. Team USA previously defeated Greece 85-69 in second round play.

miramar
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Seth scored those 10 points in only 16 minutes, going 3/6 from the field (2/4 3PT) and 2/2 on FTs.

In the eight games, he has started three and is averaging 9.0 PPG in 19.1 minutes. He's shooting 23/58 (39.7%) overall, but 18/46 (39.1%) on threes. So he's 5/12 (41.7%) on two pointers, but 79% of his shots are threes. He's also 8/13 (61.5%) on FTs.

As far as I can tell, the championship game is tonight (or early Sunday morning) @ 3:30 AM EDT/12:30AM PDT, and if you stay up you can watch it live on the USA website:

http://www.usabasketball.com/men_team.php?page=mu19wc_schedule

It's probably worth your while if you're on the west coast and need a basketball fix. Why wait until November?

chrishoke
07-11-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204759578

Go Seth!

Bob Green
07-12-2009, 05:33 AM
We won the Gold Medal with an 88-80 victory over Greece. Seth Curry scored nine points.

roywhite
07-12-2009, 07:12 AM
We won the Gold Medal with an 88-80 victory over Greece. Seth Curry scored nine points.

Bob, thanks very much for your coverage and updates. You're our man on the other side of the world!

chrishoke
07-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Yes Bob. Very much appreciated!

roywhite
07-12-2009, 10:16 AM
http://usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mu19_game9

Story of the gold medal game vs Greece. First FIBA U-19 championship for the US since 1991. Good job by Seth and the guys, and good experience.

miramar
07-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Seth scored the 9 points in 17 minutes, going 3/5 from the field (1/2 3 PT) and 2/2 on FTs. He also got 4 fouls.

For the nine games (three starts) he averaged 9 points in 18.9 minutes, and went 26/63 from the field (41.3%) and 19/48 from 3PT (39.6%). He was 7/15 on 2PTs (46.7%) and 10/15 on FTs (66.7%).

At Liberty, Seth scored 20.2 PPG in 36.5 minutes, so his points per 40 minutes aren’t too far off (18.2 vs. 22.1 at Liberty). Same goes for his overall shooting (41.7%), but his 3PT shooting improved since he only shot 34.7% at Liberty. Although the competition is tougher in the U19 championship, I’m sure he got more open shots than he did in the NCAA, so that’s to be expected. Seth also shot 83.2% on FTs at Liberty, so that’s the only negative.

Overall that’s a pretty impressive performance for someone who was not a lock to make the team.

dukelifer
07-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Seth scored the 9 points in 17 minutes, going 3/5 from the field (1/2 3 PT) and 2/2 on FTs. He also got 4 fouls.

For the nine games (three starts) he averaged 9 points in 18.9 minutes, and went 26/63 from the field (41.3%) and 19/48 from 3PT (39.6%). He was 7/15 on 2PTs (46.7%) and 10/15 on FTs (66.7%).

At Liberty, Seth scored 20.2 PPG in 36.5 minutes, so his points per 40 minutes aren’t too far off (18.2 vs. 22.1 at Liberty). Same goes for his overall shooting (41.7%), but his 3PT shooting improved since he only shot 34.7% at Liberty. Although the competition is tougher in the U19 championship, I’m sure he got more open shots than he did in the NCAA, so that’s to be expected. Seth also shot 83.2% on FTs at Liberty, so that’s the only negative.

Overall that’s a pretty impressive performance for someone who was not a lock to make the team.

And he has a whole year to work on his game. Many players hit their stride in their third year.

ACCBBallFan
07-12-2009, 07:46 PM
My thanks for the updates as well, Bob Green.

The coaches seem to have done a good job spreading the MPG and PPG across about 7 top guys Thomkins, Hayward, Gibbs, Taylor, Curry, K Thompson and White, with decent minutres for everybody in the blow outs.

crimsonandblue
07-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Mike DeCourcy has a write up mentioning Curry's play. (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-07-12/u-19-teams-title-worthy-respect-ovation)

SilkyJ
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
And he has a whole year to work on his game. Many players hit their stride in their third year.

Like rising juniors Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler ;) ?

Too bad Seth has to sit on the bench this year, but at least our back court of Nolan, Curry, and at least Dawkins should prove to be a top 5 backcourt in '10.

Greg_Newton
07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Like rising juniors Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler ;) ?

Too bad Seth has to sit on the bench this year, but at least our back court of Nolan, Curry, and at least Dawkins should prove to be a top 5 backcourt in '10.

Just curious, do folks expect Curry to start in '10-11 if the recruiting gods are kind to us? IF, and it's a huge if (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc...) we are lucky enough to land HB and one of Knight/Irving/McCallum/Jackson, you have to think that HB starts at SF and a senior Nolan probably starts at one of the guard spots. That means we could potentially have Curry, "The Negotiator," and a top 10-20 recruit pure PG competing for the last starting guard spot (not to mention Thornton).

Boy, does that sound like a nice problem to have right now...

COYS
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Just curious, do folks expect Curry to start in '10-11 if the recruiting gods are kind to us? IF, and it's a huge if (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc...) we are lucky enough to land HB and one of Knight/Irving/McCallum/Jackson, you have to think that HB starts at SF and a senior Nolan probably starts at one of the guard spots. That means we could potentially have Curry, "The Negotiator," and a top 10-20 recruit pure PG competing for the last starting guard spot (not to mention Thornton).

And that's assuming Kyle heads to the NBA, which I guess is pretty likely. Obviously speculation about 2010-2011 lineup is premature, but I would think Curry has a pretty good shot at winning a starting spot. If Kyle leaves and we do land HB, I am hopeful that Mason or potentially Miles will have nailed down the starting role in the post and Nolan will have cemented himself as one of the guards. Beyond that, it's possible that HB could work as a 4 and, apart from Nolan, we'd have two more spots for guards. Having spent a year in the system and already possessing talent, I'd think Curry would have a great shot at winning that spot. If Mason and Kelly nail down the 4 and 5 and HB starts with Nolan, I'd still bet that Curry has a good chance at winning that last spot if the other point guard we land in this scenario is someone other than BK.

SilkyJ
07-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Tough to say, obviously, w/o knowing who we will get for '10 and how our current fresh/sophs will blossom, but I'd say given that he'll have 1 year of college games and 1 year of practice with Duke under his belt, he'll be in the running for sure. I don't undoubtedly expect him too, but I think he's got a very good shot. Lots of other things will weigh into that, particularly the caliber of player we sign at Guard for 2010, but also the development of our big men i.e. if Mason and Ryan both blossom quickly, you can imagine seeing them as our starting frontcourt with maybe an HB at the 3, leaving two guard spots. If say Ryan takes longer, you could conceive a guy like HB playing the 4 and going with 3 guards and then he's almost a lock to start I would imagine.

The fact that he played a lot for the U-19 team shows that he's definitely the real deal, so whether he starts or not, I do expect him to play quite a bit and be an important contributor.

SupaDave
07-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Well it appears that we will have a minimum 8 man rotation for years to come so who starts probably wont be an issue. Curry coming off the bench would be bananas in any scenario you could think of.

Newton_14
07-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Tough to say, obviously, w/o knowing who we will get for '10 and how our current fresh/sophs will blossom, but I'd say given that he'll have 1 year of college games and 1 year of practice with Duke under his belt, he'll be in the running for sure. I don't undoubtedly expect him too, but I think he's got a very good shot. Lots of other things will weigh into that, particularly the caliber of player we sign at Guard for 2010, but also the development of our big men i.e. if Mason and Ryan both blossom quickly, you can imagine seeing them as our starting frontcourt with maybe an HB at the 3, leaving two guard spots. If say Ryan takes longer, you could conceive a guy like HB playing the 4 and going with 3 guards and then he's almost a lock to start I would imagine.

The fact that he played a lot for the U-19 team shows that he's definitely the real deal, so whether he starts or not, I do expect him to play quite a bit and be an important contributor.

I agree on most all of your points here. Especially the part regarding Seth. We now have the U19 International Competition along with his freshman season to evaluate his talents. I believe he has shown a great deal of promise. I fully expect him to be able to either start out of the gate or be very quick off the bench and log big minutes. Having him literally fall into our laps was a huge get for the program.

We just have to close the deal with the remaining 2010 Class and sign 2 or 3 of the key targets. If we hit the jackpot and add Barnes, Knight or Irving, and one of the other kids, it will be game on.....Even getting HB and one of the PGs moves the bar way way forward..

COYS
07-13-2009, 11:49 PM
We just have to close the deal with the remaining 2010 Class and sign 2 or 3 of the key targets. If we hit the jackpot and add Barnes, Knight or Irving, and one of the other kids, it will be game on.....Even getting HB and one of the PGs moves the bar way way forward..

I think getting HB and a top PG means game on. Adding one of the other targets would make for a truly special class. Either way, i think we're instant national title threats. Even if we just add Barnes, we will still be able to field a truly formidable lineup.

Greg_Newton
07-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I think getting HB and a top PG means game on. Adding one of the other targets would make for a truly special class. Either way, i think we're instant national title threats. Even if we just add Barnes, we will still be able to field a truly formidable lineup.

But amen. And not to take this glorious daydream too far, but IN the blessed event that we are graced with presence of both Barnes and Irving, we could very much be looking at the ridiculous prospect of having 3 future NBA players coming off of the bench. I could easily see an upperclassman Miles starting alongside Mason at the 5 early on, which would likely put Kelly, Irving, and Dawkins on the "B squad." Heck, even if you sub Irving for Miles and go small, it'd still be a heck of a B-team... I'd take Thornton/Dawkins/Hairston/Kelly/Miles over several ACC starting fives this year.

And if you throw Kyle in the mix things just get really silly...

It's just funny that given how much "the sky is falling," there is still a very real possibility that 2010-2011 could be Duke's most talented roster ever.

miramar
07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Mike DeCourcy has a write up mentioning Curry's play. (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-07-12/u-19-teams-title-worthy-respect-ovation)

that DeCourcy would write the following: "But in the last two games, he showed he still has a bit to learn about shot selection. It's not his fault. As a freshman at Liberty, his job was to shoot everything he could. He'll become more discerning during his year in residence at Duke."

Seth shot 40% on threes in the tournament, so if he becomes more selective, then he should be able to shoot 45%+. Sounds good to me.

roywhite
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
My impressions of Seth after reading and following his progress at the U-19 event:

1. He's a player who can compete at this level
2. His primary weapon is the 3-point shot, and he's very capable of hitting 40% or better in game situations
3. Based on 70%+ of his shot attempts coming from 3-point land, he could stand to develop his driving and mid-range game
4. He fit in well with his teammates and competed well
5. His physical development in terms of weight and strength still has a ways to go, but he's not yet 19 years old.
6. Glad to have him at Duke!

SupaDave
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
http://dimemag.com/2009/07/team-usas-5-breakout-stars/#more-14903