PDA

View Full Version : RIP Karl Malden

aimo
07-01-2009, 05:32 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Movies/wireStory?id=7979980

I saw the movie Nevada Smith with Steve Mcqueen not too long ago. Malden was the bad guy. And I remember my parents watching The Streets of San Francisco when I was pretty small.

g_olaf
07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Streets of SF is my favorite cop show of all time. Sorry to see him gone.
still, 97 is a pretty good ride.

BlueDevilBaby
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Loved that show, too. I did not like him much when I was younger but grew to appreciate his talent as I the older I became. I had no idea he went to school in Conway (family there) and was such an athlete.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
He played General Omar Bradley in the movie "Patton." Karl Malden played many roles in quite a few films before he became a regular on TV. He was very entertaining and quite a good actor.

captmojo
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM

I saw the movie Nevada Smith with Steve Mcqueen not too long ago. Malden was the bad guy. And I remember my parents watching The Streets of San Francisco when I was pretty small.

I was a kid watching this in the theater when it was first released. This movie turned me into a Malden hater.
"Ya haven't got da guts! Yer yella!"

He played General Omar Bradley in the movie "Patton." Karl Malden played many roles in quite a few films before he became a regular on TV. He was very entertaining and quite a good actor.

This film turned me back into a Malden fan.
"Some do this job out of a sense of duty. You George, you do it because you love it."

JasonEvans
07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
He appeared, often as a key supporting player, in some of the great films of the 50s and 60s. On The Waterfront, Streetcar Named Desire, Birdman of Alcatraz, Patton, Gypsy, and How The West Was Won. He had a major role in The Cincinnati Kid, one of the better movies ever made about poker.

And then he went and did TV...

Malden's portrayal of Lt. Mike Stone is iconic. One of the great cops in TV history.

Anyone who thinks Billy Mays was the "third" to Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett should think again. Karl Malden was a giant... and he will be missed.

--Jason "honestly, if you had asked me if he was still alive, I'd have said no" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
07-01-2009, 09:42 PM
He never left home without it, but was he able to take it with him? :rolleyes:

micah75
07-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Interesting you chose Nevada Smith. I haven't seen it in years, yet for some reason that's the performance that stands out for me when I think of Karl Malden. Especially the scene when McQueen finally catches up with him, then refuses to kill him and Malden's character is screaming "You're yella. You're yella!!!"

hurleyfor3
07-02-2009, 11:15 AM
He never left home without it, but was he able to take it with him? :rolleyes:

Does heaven take Amercian Express!?

OZZIE4DUKE
07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Does heaven take Amercian Express!?
Amex rocks, but it is the Rock of Ages? :cool:

aimo
07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Interesting you chose Nevada Smith. I haven't seen it in years, yet for some reason that's the performance that stands out for me when I think of Karl Malden. Especially the scene when McQueen finally catches up with him, then refuses to kill him and Malden's character is screaming "You're yella. You're yella!!!"

It was on Turner Classic not too long ago, so it was stuck more in my mind. I remembered that he was in The Cincinnati Kid as well, but it's been a while since I've watched it (I'm a big Steve Mcqueen fan). I remember him most in SoSF, the Amex commercials, and playing Jeffrey McDonald's father-in-law that turned against him in Fatal Vision. Very good actor.

brevity
07-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Anyone who thinks Billy Mays was the "third" to Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett should think again. Karl Malden was a giant... and he will be missed.

While there's no set criteria in place for the Entertainers Die in Threes theory, most people agree that you can't skip over a few names to get to Karl Malden. It doesn't really work that way. Chronologically it's closer to this:

Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson
Gale Storm, Billy Mays, Fred Travalena
Karl Malden, Harve Presnell (link (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Harve-Presnell-Dies-1007640.aspx)), ?

hurleyfor3
07-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Governors' political careers can die in threes too! Blagojevich, Sanford, Palin.

DevilAlumna
07-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Governors' political careers can die in threes too! Blagojevich, Sanford, Palin.

You forgot Spitzer...

hurleyfor3
07-05-2009, 01:26 AM
You forgot Spitzer...

Dang it, I did. Then Sarah's the start of a new set of three, or it'll turn out better for her... btw, DA, I'm on the Olympic peninsula this weekend :D

fadero
07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Don't forget a very underated western "one eyed jacks" one of the best. Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Slim Pickens and Katy Jurado. It comes on tv rarely.

rasputin
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Don't forget a very underated western "one eyed jacks" one of the best. Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Slim Pickens and Katy Jurado. It comes on tv rarely.

It's also the only movie that Brando directed.