PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins' nickname story

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm not thrilled by the nickname thing that the front page has going on with Andre Dawkins. Nicknames have to be earned and not requested in my book. How can we give him one without having seen him play? Shelden wasn't "The Landlord" before he came to Duke. "Tinkerbell" was just the name of a Disney character until Gene Banks earned it on the floor of Cameron. I doubt his high school teammates called Trajan Langdon "The Alaskan Assassin", they were all Alaskans. I'm assuming Elliot Williams got his "Email" moniker in high school and carried it's way to the higher level, but at least he didn't ask for it.
So I say to Andre and the front page crew, let's see what he bring to the court first. I'm sure the Crazies can come up with something, but let's make sure the shoe fits.

Any mod please fix Dawkins' name at the title, I missed my apostrophe.

COYS
07-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm not thrilled by the nickname thing that the front page has going on with Andre Dawkins. Nicknames have to be earned and not requested in my book. How can we give him one without having seen him play? Shelden wasn't "The Landlord" before he came to Duke. "Tinkerbell" was just the name of a Disney character until Gene Banks earned it on the floor of Cameron. I doubt his high school teammates called Trajan Langdon "The Alaskan Assassin", they were all Alaskans. I'm assuming Elliot Williams got his "Email" moniker in high school and carried it's way to the higher level, but at least he didn't ask for it.
So I say to Andre and the front page crew, let's see what he bring to the court first. I'm sure the Crazies can come up with something, but let's make sure the shoe fits.

I might be mistaken, but I thought Shelden came to Duke with "The Landlord" handle. Can anyone confirm this?

Cumae Sybl
07-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Any mod please fix Dawkins' name at the title, I missed my apostrophe.

Actually, Shel did get the Landlord in HS. Like in the 10th grade or something.

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Actually, Shel did get the Landlord in HS. Like in the 10th grade or something.
Thanks for the corrections. Point is the above mentioned all earned them due to what had been seen on the court, and were given to them because of their play, not because they asked for it. I'm pretty sure not many posters have seen enough of Dawkins to make a top notch choice. I hope he earns something really cool. But DO let him earn it.

Lightz
07-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't really mind, Dawkins is a great kid. He's been steadily rising in the rankings, improving his game, and recruiting at every event.

The abbreviation I've seen that I liked was Dre, although thats more of just a message board nickname.

allenmurray
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the corrections. Point is the above mentioned all earned them due to what had been seen on the court, and were given to them because of their play, not because they asked for it. I'm pretty sure not many posters have seen enough of Dawkins to make a top notch choice. I hope he earns something really cool. But DO let him earn it.

He is a kid. Kids like to have fun. Nicknames are fun. Let him be a kid.

rthomas
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM

To that end, I like Andre the Giant.

6th Man
07-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Doc-tor DRE....Doc-tor DRE....Doc-tor DRE

can't you hear the crazies now after the facial he serves on somebody?

theAlaskanBear
07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
If we are going to give hm a music nickname, why not "Andre 3000" instead of Dr Dre....

I agree though, we need to see this kid play.

Watching videos of him online, he can definitely hit the three ball...plus is a very multi-dimensional player...so how about "3D"...actually that's not half bad.

Gets my vote: "3-D"

6th Man
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I realize Dr. Dre is a rapper, but I like it because it could also be a play on Dr. J as well. Plus Dr. Dre rolls nicely off the tongue for a Crazie chant. If we take it even further, imagine a poster or magazine with Andre on the cover dressed like a Dr.

Sorry people.....just bored at work. Please overlook me! I may be delirious!

:eek:

Kfanarmy
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
If we are going to give hm a music nickname, why not "Andre 3000" instead of Dr Dre....
Gets my vote: "3-D"

Hearing the announcer say "It's another Dre Trey" might be kinda cool...repeated over and over.

Olympic Fan
07-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Just to confirm, Shelden Williams did earn the nickname "The Landlord" in high school and he brought it with him to Duke.

And Gene Banks was "Tinkerbell" as a high school star in Philadelphia -- again before he arrived at Duke. In fact, he earned the moniker as a 13-year-old when he abused LaSalle star Billy Taylor in a summer league game in Chester, Pa.

When Gene came out of West Philadelphia High, he was the most celebrated prep player in Philly since Wilt "The Stilt" (another high school nickname) Chamberlain.

Nicknames are nicknames -- they can come at any time, any place. Horace McKinney became "Bones" when he played a character of that name in a high school play. Lawrence Berra became "Yogi" when he was 10 years old. George Herman Ruth became "The Babe" when he joined the Baltimore Orioles as a 18-year-old ward of the team owner.

If Andre Dawkins wants a nickname, that's fine with me. He's a part of the Duke family and I appreciate his commitment ... I like "Andre the Giant", although that may be bit obscure for the modern generation. I have no problems with "Dr. Dre" ....

Huh?
07-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Golden Condor

rthomas
07-01-2009, 07:47 PM
From the Princess Bride, there are so many things that Andre the Giant could use:

Playing Maryland:
I fight gangs for local charities and stuff.

Playing Carolina (or anybody):
My men are here! I am here! But soon *you* will not be here!

Against Carolina:
Coach: Finish him. Finish him, your way.
Andre: Oh good, my way. Thank you Coach... what's my way?
Coach: Pick up one of those rocks, get behind a boulder, in a few minutes Carolina's team will come running around the bend, the minute his head is in view, hit it with the rock.
Andre: My way's not very sportsman-like.

Coach: Go away or I'll call the Brute Squad.
Andre: I'm on the Blue Squad.
Coach: You *are* the Brute Squad!

Andre: We face each other as God intended. Sportsmanlike. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone.
Carolina: You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?
Andre: [brandishing rock] I could kill you now.
Carolina: I think the odds are slightly in your favor at hand fighting.
Andre: It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise.

Andre: Coach?
Coach: What?
Andre: I hope we win.

Coach: Where is this Carolina Team now, so I may kill them?
Andre: He's in the castle with Billy Packer. But the castle gate is guarded by thirty men.
Coach: [angrily kicks a stool, then calms down] How many do you think you could handle?
Andre: I don't think more than ten.

Lord Ash
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Dawkins Squared

(No pressure.)

But I agree; we need to see him first; then, nicknames will follow. It could be "Sir Dunksalot" or "Sweet Stroke." Who knows?!

Greg_Newton
07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Dunkin Dawkins?

BlueintheFace
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Cheer Suggestion-
One Side- DAWK-AND-LOA-DED
Other Side- LET'S GO DUKE

Oriole Way
07-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I can't think of anything clever, original, or non-corny, but to me, Andre Dawkins is "The Godfather."

I sort of look at him as the heart and soul of that 2010 class, especially the way he basically recruited Tyler Thorton and Josh Hairston and how he continues to be in the ear of other guys in that class to convince them to come to Duke. He seems to already love Duke and the Duke family even though he's still a year away. Haven't been this excited about a recruit since J.J.

SupaDave
07-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Dawkins Squared

(No pressure.)

But I agree; we need to see him first; then, nicknames will follow. It could be "Sir Dunksalot" or "Sweet Stroke." Who knows?!

D2!!! I love it!!!

But if you're gonna go with Dr. Dre similarities. And I'm telling you, I'm good at these sorts of things...

We already have Nolan "The Escalade" Smith...

and now I present to you...

Andre "The Chronic" Dawkins!!! (crowd screams! Dr. caps on, fake heart attacks after every three and high rising dunk - yes, I see all of this...)

:)

Lord Ash
07-02-2009, 12:30 AM
The Second Coming?

Again, no pressure being compared to Johnny Dawkins and Jesus in the same nickname, but whatever:)

Greg_Newton
07-02-2009, 01:08 AM
D2!!! I love it!!!

And if he were a movie, he would be "D2: The Mighty Dawks"...

ice-9
07-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Nicknames I like:

Dr. Dre
Rolls easily off the tongue, is unique/memorable and can be meaningful in that Andre Dawkins is just what the doctor ordered to get Duke back to the Final Four. It also implies leadership, which Dawkins displayed in recruiting Thornton and Hairston. Plus the "Dre" aspect works well since that's already his off-court nickname.

Andre "The Gun" Dawkins, i.e. DAWK-AND-LOAD-ED
I like BlueintheFace's cheer, and I think it works because Dawkins has a reputation for being an excellent and dangerous shooter. Plus who wouldn't like to be nicknamed after a weapon?? The only downside is that DAWK-AND-LOAD-ED could easily be DOCK-AND-LOAD-ED, but perhaps this is a concern only to people who knew Dockery.

Dunkin Dawkins
This is funny, unique and memorable, but Dawkins would have to be a prolific and excellent dunker for this to work. However, it is kinda hard to enunciate.

My pick of the above so far would be Dr. Dre.

However, I am not too crazy on nicknames that reference Johnny Dawkins.

First, if I was Dre, I wouldn't be too crazy about being compared to the original Dawkins every time my nickname is used. It'd be just...deflating to me -- though perhaps that says more about me than it would the young man. I'd want the opportunity to have a fresh start and make my own impact. (Do the two players even play alike?)

Second, the Johnny Dawkins-based nickname would only make sense to those who know Johnny Dawkins, so the nickname won't usually be meaningful to kids of his generation. And let's face it -- the nickname isn't for us old-timers, it's for them.

Third, while Johnny Dawkins will forever be a Duke guy, he IS currently Stanford's head coach. I'd feel a bit weird if the nickname accorded to me is based off a competing program's head coach.

So I say vote up original nicknames and vote down nicknames based off of Johnny Dawkins.

airowe
07-02-2009, 07:31 AM
The A. D. (Minus maybe Nolan, He* will be the most athletic guy on our team.).

*Lord Ash, the capitalization is paying homage to your Second Coming nickname.

BlueintheFace
07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Andre "The Gun" Dawkins, i.e. DAWK-AND-LOAD-ED
I like BlueintheFace's cheer, and I think it works because Dawkins has a reputation for being an excellent and dangerous shooter. Plus who wouldn't like to be nicknamed after a weapon?? The only downside is that DAWK-AND-LOAD-ED could easily be DOCK-AND-LOAD-ED, but perhaps this is a concern only to people who knew Dockery.

The other thing about "Dawk-and-Loaded" is that Dawkins is supposed to be an excellent marksman from long range. This would continue a Duke tradition of nicknames in this vein: Alaskan Assasin, Roanoake Rifle, etc...

That may not be his nickname, but I think it definitely should be chanted after every three he hits.

duke5021
07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
ADD- All Day Dawkins

Channing
07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
ADD- All Day Dawkins

isnt that already taken by Adrian Peterson. As some have said, the best nicknames just happen. Dr. Dre has been done, Andre the Giant has been done ... trying to live up to our status as the crazies, shouldnt we look for something original.

The best chants in cameron are the ones that are spontaneous, and I bet the best nicknames will be the spontaneous ones as well.

Reddevil
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
but here's a few thoughts. Chocolate Lightning as a play on Chocolate Thunder. Andre "Champagne" Dawkins or "Brut", or "Cold Duck" - "What's a celebration without Andre to add sparkle and elegance?" It gives you a headache, and hopefully that's what he'll do to the competition.:D

SupaDave
07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
but here's a few thoughts. Chocolate Lightning as a play on Chocolate Thunder. Andre "Champagne" Dawkins or "Brut", or "Cold Duck" - "What's a celebration without Andre to add sparkle and elegance?" It gives you a headache, and hopefully that's what he'll do to the competition.:D

I don't like associating the word 'cold' with any shooter unless he's on the opposite team.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I think he's got to earn his name on the court. He's got to do something that inspires a nickname.

SupaDave
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I think he's got to earn his name on the court. He's got to do something that inspires a nickname.

Nicknames aren't always earned. Sometimes they're just a result.

Newton_14
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Ok. I am not good at this so go easy on me as I just wanted to participate...

How bout "And-1" (Plays on his name and his ability to finish in traffic)

or "The Sequel" (Second coming of Dawkins)

theAlaskanBear
07-02-2009, 03:36 PM

The Sequel sounds nice, but do you know of any sequels that were better than the original? Lets not jinx his name ;)

toughbuff1
07-02-2009, 03:42 PM

I like And-1

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-02-2009, 03:45 PM

It may be entertaining to come up with nicknames now, but I have to agree to wait. Once he's actually at Duke, I suspect that a nickname will emerge.

Olympic Fan
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
The Sequel sounds nice, but do you know of any sequels that were better than the original?

Sequels that were better than the original (just off the top of my head):

1. Aliens (Alien)
2. Godfather II (The Godfather)
3. A Shot in the Dark (The Pink Panther)
4. Silence of the Lambs (Manhunter)
5. Terminator 2 -- Judgement Day (The Terminator)
6. The Road Warrior (also known as Mad Max II) (Mad Max)
7. From Russia with Love (Dr. No)
8. Star Trek II -- The Wrath of Khan (Star Trek -- The Movie)
9. Kill Bill, Part 2 (Kill Bill, Part I)
10. Rambo, First Blood Part 2 (First Blood)

More debatable
I would also argue that The Empire Strikes Back (the second Star Wars made) is the best of the six-film series. I have a friend who thinks that Spiderman II is the best of that series (I don't know... I haven't been able to sit through any of them). If you consider Batman Returns to be a new franchise (certainly a re-imagining of the old Batman character), then The Dark Knight qualifies as a superior sequel. Personally, I think the Harry Potter series has gotten progressively better with each new film.

Aside from the Potter series, Part III are usually terrible -- Alien III is unwatchable; Godfather III is an embarrassment to a great franchise; Terminator 3 is only fun watching Arnold try to hide his fat and his wrinkles; The Return of the Pink Panther takes a great series into parody of itself; The Return of the Jedi starts the Star Wars franchise down its death spiral.

I'll give you Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome as one three-quel that holds up (although I still think II is better). Also, Indiana Jones part three -- The Last Crusade -- was better than part 2 (The Temple of Doom) ... maybe even better than the original.

Let's see ... a few more (in no particular order) where the sequel was at least as good as the original: The Mummy Returns, Lethal Weapon 2, American Pie 2, After the Thin Man, Bride of Frankenstein, Shrek 2, Toy Story 2, European Vacation, Evil Dead II and, oh yes, Billy Jack (the sequel to an overlooked 'B' picture titled Born Losers, Billy Jack became a huge hit in the '70s). And I'd say all three of the Matt Damon Bourne movies grade out equally.

sagegrouse
07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Sequels that were better than the original (just off the top of my head):

Superman II was far superior to Superman I because it didn't have to deal with the complexities of Superman's origin on the planet Krypton.

sagegrouse

JG Nothing
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Ask George Costanza how fun nicknames can be!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC4C_Gcp_dM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyDkNuAH2w

ACCBBallFan
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
QUOTE=rthomas;303687]The Negotiator[/QUOTE]

Saw this on another thread and it probably belongs here, since he has earned this nickname

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-10-2009, 09:51 PM
i really like "The Chronic" as well as 3D

Carlos
07-10-2009, 10:49 PM
From the Princess Bride, there are so many things that Andre the Giant could use:

Against Carolina:
Coach: Finish him. Finish him, your way.
Andre: Oh good, my way. Thank you Coach... what's my way?
Coach: Pick up one of those rocks, get behind a boulder, in a few minutes Carolina's team will come running around the bend, the minute his head is in view, hit it with the rock.
Andre: My way's not very sportsman-like.

Uh... didn't Andre lose that fight?

BD80
07-10-2009, 11:38 PM

But he made a friend :)

cwaugh
07-11-2009, 12:25 AM
But he made a friend :)

who wants to be friends with the tarholes

madscavenger
07-11-2009, 02:58 AM
"Pied Piper"

The master recruiter calls out to them,
playing his masterful tune.
Resisting him not, they arrive in a trot.
They will follow him to the moon.

Opponents too, will bow on his cue.
He demands, and they never say no.
The man is a leader, a shooter, a feeder
who'll stake out a path to the show.

Some call him Andre, but then dare i say
Crazies seemingly know him the best
Dr. Dawk they may call him, but false names won't stall him
Pied Piper; start out on your quest.

rthomas
07-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Andre the Giant - the Eighth Wonder of the World.

chrisheery
07-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I think Dre-Dawk is nice. Cool, understated and still new. That's what I'll be calling him anyway.

theAlaskanBear
03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
While I would agree that nicknames are overrated, we don't really have a single(r) nicknames for anyone on the team (aside from MP1 & MP2). Anyways, I have a couple of suggestions:

For awhile, I was going with the simple, clean "A.D." as in Athletic Director. But lately, I have been calling him "babyface" like babyface Dawkins instead of babyface Nelson. They are both shooters. :rolleyes: sorry I'm a sucker for puns. But dang thats so appropriate.

natedog4ever
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Not sure if anybody else caught it, but at the end of the "top 10 ACC tournament plays" on Blue Planet, Andre calls himself "Dre all day". Maybe this can go into the pot of candidates.

ReformedAggie
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
well just not sweet stroke good grief that sounds like something it's not intended to sound like, kinda like the new IPad.

basket1544
03-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I've been alternating between calling him Silk because his shot is so smooth and Tre instead of the Dre that people have been shortening his name to. Maybe Dr Tre instead of Dr Dre? I do like Andre the Giant though... We'll see, it'll come. We've got plenty of time with him.

chrisheery
03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Dre Dre (like JJ)

noyac
03-17-2010, 10:16 PM
On the top plays of the ACC tournament video on DukeBluePlanet at the very end Andre says, "This is Dre all day and I approve this message." I am assuming that is what he wants to be called or it is what the team is calling him.

Cameron
03-17-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't know what nickname would be best, but I just kept yelling "All Day Dre" at the top of my lungs while running back and forth across my living room when Andre scored on Sunday.

Hopefully he gets hot Friday. We need him, and he seems to really bolster the confidence of this team when playing well.

Cameron
03-17-2010, 10:37 PM
On the top plays of the ACC tournament video on DukeBluePlanet at the very end Andre says, "This is Dre all day and I approve this message." I am assuming that is what he wants to be called or it is what the team is calling him.

Looks like I was on to something:)

BD80
03-17-2010, 10:40 PM

Well, that should certainly end the discussion, shouldn't it?

Which is the smilie for really, really sarcastic?