PDA

View Full Version : Coach P

godukecom
04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
:confused: is this a good choice or a bad one? i follow the wbb team alot, but i dont know much about McCallie. Is she a good fit for our program or not? i have heard alot from both sides, just seeking more opinions...

ikiru36
04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
:confused: is this a good choice or a bad one? i follow the wbb team alot, but i dont know much about McCallie. Is she a good fit for our program or not? i have heard alot from both sides, just seeking more opinions...

While I'll defer to others about specifics re: McCallie as a person, her coaching credentials are excellent (superior, in fact, to Ms. Boyle, at the same approximate age, 38). She is (at least) a 4 time Conference Coach of the Year and a former National Coach of the Year. She is nationally known as well as Head Coach of the (quite successful thusfar) US U20 Women's team. She has previously turned two programs (Maine and Michigan State) into perennial NCAA tourney invitees and has taken a squad to the NCAA championship game. Having attended and played for Northwestern herself, hopefully that gives her a feel for Duke as an academic institution. For whatever it's worth, her MBA is from Auburn, perhaps giving her some Southern cred as well.

At least on paper this is an excellent and exciting hire. I'm most interested to simply know that the players are happy and excited (including our recruits).

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. if this is indeed a done deal, let the tent city naming games begin!!!!!! McCalliesburg? (much better than P-ville, methinks)

adam
04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
To me, McCallie seems to be a better hire than Boyle would have been. I realize that Boyle had the "Duke connection" or whatever, but staying within the Duke family tree right now probably isn't the best option. From what I've read, I think McCallie would be a great hire for Duke.

duke98
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Time will tell, but I think this is an excellent hire. I pumped my fist in the air and said "Yesss!" when I got the "Breaking News" email from the Chronicle. We acted fast and got a quality coach...perhaps the sky is not falling after all.

Looks like Joe Alleva keeps his job...for now.

adam
04-18-2007, 02:42 PM
The Chronicle story can be found here...
http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/04/18/News/Duke-Hires.New.Womens.Basketball.Coach-2849943.shtml

KandG
04-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Over on the devilsden forums, the opinion is very mixed....I would have preferred Mitchell personally. McCallie has a good resume, but I'm not sure her personality and style are the best fit for the program. But at the worst, she'll be our "Doh hire" -- a transition coach who'll have some short term success with G's recruits, and hopefully won't run the program into the ground until we get Boyle or someone even better after a few years (assuming JA is finally gone...one can dream).

By the way, i'd be thrilled to be wrong and have McCallie be the savior that finally takes us to the top. But I'm skeptical right now.

WiJoe
04-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't much about McCallie. I do know that marquette coach terri mitchell would have been an excellent choice.

heyman25
04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Her husband has a temper. He got into some altercation when they had lost their bags at a Florida Airport. Apparently his grandparents founded McCallie's prep school in Chattanooga Tennesee. He is an econ professor at MSU.But that doesn't mean anything about her coaching skills.

Wander
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
We won't know how good of a hire this is until the 2010 season is done - the first post-Abby season.

bluedevil
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Obviously McCallie isn't in the same universe as Goestenkors, who went undefeated in the regular season and outscored the opposition by 25, while McCallie's MSU lost about 9 games and only beat opponents by about 6 points per game in 07 (64 to 58, not much of a high powered offense). But she was the head coach of the 2006 USA U20 team that went 5-0 setting 28 records and winning gold while slaughtering opponents by 62 per game, while Boyle assisted her. I think Gail coached a more talented USA team that summer and didn't win by as much even though she was USA basketball coach of the year.

But McCallie's bio and resume of AP national coach of the year, 2005 national championship game, 2006 U20 head coach and gold medal, turning around Michigan State and Maine into consistent winners and NCAA teams, and going to 2 national title games in 4 years as the top recruiting assistant at Auburn after bringing in a top 4 class, is better than any other current candidates. McCallie graduated Northwestern in 87 and has an MBA from Auburn, so she's 3 years younger than Boyle who hasn't accomplished nearly as much although she hasn't been a head coach for long. Still would have preferred Boyle or of course G because nobody criticized them.

But McCallie is WAY better than Terri Mitchell, who did nothing at all in 11 years at Marquette and also had a slow plodding offense, her best year ever last season she got slaughtered by over 30 in the second round of 2007 NCAA. Hopefully McCallie will play the same style she played with USA's U20 team and beat everyone by 62. Someone said she plays matchup zone all the time, well that would be great against UNC, Tennessee, and Rutgers, not UMD. She probably coaches to her talent, the USA U20 team probably pressed and stole tons of balls. I only had a problem with Gail's coaching in one game of her Duke career against Rutgers when she didn't play much zone and didn't use any depth, it was like watching coach K, and where was Bridgette Mitchell all season? Anyway, Duke should have a chance at a national title next season.

Just like Gail brought Erickson and Van Gorp from Purdue to get Duke to the 99 title game, McCallie should bring 6'9" superfreshman Allyssa Dehaan with her. Dehaan averaged a triple double in HS and as a freshman, 12.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4.5 bpg, same as Bales the senior. She's the superbig center Duke needs like Van Gorp and Bales to get to the title game, obviously fits McCallie's system. She's premed so Duke which needs reliable post depth should be perfect for her. Dehaan would probably start immediately and be on TV 15+ times a season, she could win a national title or two for Duke.

dockfan
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
McCallie has done great things, with much less talent, at MSU and at Maine. I think her coaching abilities may exceed that of Coach G (not trying to start a debate here; I realize this will take time to evaluate).

The biggest questions are whether she can recruit top players to Duke, get the most out of a team filled with elite players (make everyone happy - paging oleroyweeums, paging oleroyweeums), and hold up to the pressure of recruiting and competing in the ACC. IMO, Coach McCallie will need to have a top-notch recruiter as one of her assistants (too bad Tia Jackson left). Note that some of her best recruits at MSU arrived while Felisha Legette-Jack, now head coach at Indiana, was McCallie's assistant.

But overall, I think it is a great hire for Duke. I don't think it is a "D'oh" situation. Maybe McCallie=Coach K, while Coach G=Bill Foster, and Duke WBB wins the nat'l title soon? Fans can dream! :)

dockfan
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Hopefully McCallie will play the same style she played with USA's U20 team and beat everyone by 62. Someone said she plays matchup zone all the time, well that would be great against UNC, Tennessee, and Rutgers.

McCallie's/MSU's match-up zone is quite good, and it helped MSU knock off Tennessee in the 2005 FF. Whether Duke will beat everyone by 62..., well, who knows. Maybe if Elena DelleDonne puts Duke back on her list and comes to Durham. :)

bill brill
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
what is the matter with you people? mccallie is as good a hire as possible (on paper). we'll all have to wait and see how it works out. but she won at maine and michigan state. she was in the ncaa finals in '05 and was national coach of the year. she's big with usa basketball. somebody obviously thinks she can coach. she recently turned down florida and signed a 7-year contract at msu for $500K with incentives that could have taken it to $643K. she has a $500K buyout. what does this mean? it means that the rumors that duke didn't care about women's basketball because it loses $2.7 million are wrong. mccallie obviously is gettingbig contract, as coach G had, although it was falsely reported that she was the fifth highest paid duke coach. wrong. she was second. she was offered $1M to stay. and one other thing, at msu, mccallie was known at Coach P (her middle initial). we're just going down the alphabet. regardless of how it eventually works out, this is an extremely impressive hire. pat summit and geno weren't coming.

KandG
04-18-2007, 03:42 PM
But McCallie is WAY better than Terri Mitchell, who did nothing at all in 11 years at Marquette and also had a slow plodding offense,

Completely disagree with this, but don't take my word for it, ask RobC what he thinks. Mitchell has managed very well with less talent, navigated a change in conferences very well, and is widely considered to be a more capable recruiter with the resources provided to her; she was also Big East coach of the year last year, which I hardly consider "nothing". McCallie has shown she can walk into situations where things are already good and make something of them; her ability to build and to recruit are much more in question.

Just like Gail brought Erickson and Van Gorp from Purdue to get Duke to the 99 title game, McCallie should bring 6'9" superfreshman Allyssa Dehaan with her.

Not crazy about poaching a player after the questionable decision of pursuing a coach who signed an extension and has since been shopping for schools, even while stringing her old school around in the most public and ungraceful manner possible.

As a short term decision, this could actually turn out to be good, given the recruits we already have in place...your post reinforces the fact that McCallie can do well with strong existing resources. However, that's no reason to downplay Mitchell, who by all accounts is a better person, a better player's coach, and could very well turn out to be a better coach if given a chance at a bigger program. But I guess we'll never know.

I'm unhappy with the decision, but after a day I'll move on and hope some of the unsavory evidence out there about McCallie will be put behind her, and she can represent Duke in a way that will make Duke students and fans proud.

bluedevil
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Regarding McCallie's supposedly slow plodding offenses vs. Gail's varied fastbreaking offenses, how many national titles has Gail won with her offense paired with fantastic defense and all that talent Duke academics brought in? G's a great x and o coach as well as recruiter, kind of like Mike Montgomery but with much more talent, but she never went all the way. If McCallie's critics are right, how the hell did she win so many games without a single McDonalds allamerican? And why would Duke's recruiting suffer when they have the best academics and hoops, that's why Harding and Bales came along with many, many others.

I think the future of the womens game is with gigantic centers like Bales or 6'9" Dehaan just dominating inside like Yao Ming. Not very exciting or fast paced but efficient and effective. Bales was by far Duke's MVP this season, just like Van Gorp in 99. That's why I was disappointed G didn't go after 6'6", 220lb, Ta'shia Phillips harder. Can you imagine 6'9" Dehaan, 6'5" Black, and either 6'4" Thomas or 6' Mitchell just playing volleyball in the paint? Tennessee's whole offense is letting Candice Parker or Holdsclaw score or getting the offensive rebound, they never have much outside shooting. UConn's defense is ten times more important than their offense, haven't they won plenty of games with scores like 60-40? Just have Abby, Wanisha, or Jasmine launch a 3 or pass in to a superbig center to dunk it, not very complicated. Duke should just recruit the biggest centers possible who will just ignore any opposing post defenses. Now that Duke has McCallie, they have to land Dehaan or Ta'Shia Phillips.

Duvall
04-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Now that Duke has McCallie, they have to land Dehaan or Ta'Shia Phillips.

Why, assuming that Krystal Thomas is still coming to Duke?

bluedevil
04-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Because Chante Black sat out the whole season with an injury, and Gay and Cheek were injured as well. Krystal Thomas only averaged 2 bpg in HS and may be more of a PF, plus she's a freshman. Also, Duke is only using 11 or so of its 15 allowed scholarships, is Emily Waner graduating or staying? Womens hoops has tons of injuries, many season or career ending. Duke has multiple players that can play the other 4 positions, but like this season when Bales was the only center, Duke needs another true center to have a rock solid team with reliable depth.

Duke was recently recruiting 6'6", 220 lb, Ta'Shia Phillips, what's going on with her? And I would think 6'9" Dehaan would want to leave MSU's sinking ship and play for national titles and be premed at a top school like Duke. Aren't all Duke games either televised or broadcast over computer? Duke's women like the men have the chance to be ESPN's darlings because its a private school with the best big time athletics and academics of any school, nobody cares about Michigan State unless they live in Michigan.

Also, about Gail being more of a friend to the players and McCallie yelling at them and ignoring them off the court, don't Pat Summit and especially Geno scream and yell at their players all the time? Maybe Duke just needs to toughen up and get yelled at to go all the way. Again, whatever McCallie's been doing at MSU and Maine must have been working big time. I can't believe she had no Mcdonalds allamerican, that will change in a major way. Jasmine Thomas is amazing, Harding was overrated, and we have 2 centers to replace Bales, including Chante whom Gail called the best center at Duke ever, while Bales was already around. Duke should be at least #6 preseason and #2 in the ACC.

Duke4Life
04-18-2007, 04:31 PM
People people people....

Joanne P McCallie made every big time school opening's short list this year. THERE IS NO COMPARISION with Terri Mitchell at Marquette.

Joanne is a great hire for Duke and we all welcome her!!!!!!!!!!!!

This talk about her personality blah blah blah. Coach G's personality at times was suspect (ask former players and they shall remain nameless).

This slow offense you think she runs is also off base. The year she went to the Final Four and the national title game...she had a great back court who came from 17+ down and rally and beat Tennessee in 2005.

The recruits will still come as it is Duke...

Joanne P >Boyle>Mitchell

No question about it.

FireOgilvie
04-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Just have Abby, Wanisha, or Jasmine launch a 3 or pass in to a superbig center to dunk it, not very complicated.

Haha "dunk it." Good one.

I don't know anything about Coach P (the P is for Palombo, her maiden name)... but she looks good on paper... and in her profile picture;)

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/mccallie_joannep.00.html

robc
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
"Harding was overrated"? Ay yi yi. Talk about revisionist history.

There are many, many reasons why Mitchell was a better fit for Duke than McCallie. Most of them I can't talk about here. I will hope that JP can sustain the excellence of the Duke program, since at this point we have no other choice.

McCallie's first tasks will be calling all of the 2007 recruits. Then calling Shay Selby. Then calling Phillips, whom Duke was going after with gusto--she has yet to make a commitment.

robc
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
By the way, I would guess the chances of DeHaan coming with her would be slim, considering that the main reason she went to MSU was because it was close to home.

ikiru36
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Why, assuming that Krystal Thomas is still coming to Duke?

Exactly. Sheesh. Just keeping what we have...

Krystal Thomas 6'4"
Chante Black 6'5"
Carrem Gay 6'2"
Brittany Mitch 6'2"

Sure, it'd be nice to corner the market on 6'5"+ shot blockers, but there's a lot more that goes into building a good, cohesive, winning team. As for the "future of the women's game," Final Four participants Rutgers, UConn and UNC did pretty well this year with no players over 6'4" while LSU had only 2 players over 6'2" (one being an imposing 6'6" center). Just saying that Duke does not "have to land Dehaan or Ta'Shia Phillips." That being said, if we have a shot at the next Yao Ming, by all means, (ethically) recruit away! Just remember that size alone does not an imposing college defensive presence make (i.e. Shelden Williams).

ikiru36
04-18-2007, 05:02 PM

There are many, many reasons why Mitchell was a better fit for Duke than McCallie. Most of them I can't talk about here. I will hope that JP can sustain the excellence of the Duke program, since at this point we have no other choice.

McCallie's first tasks will be calling all of the 2007 recruits. Then calling Shay Selby. Then calling Phillips, whom Duke was going after with gusto--she has yet to make a commitment.

Well, as in many things but Duke women's hoops in particular, I'll defer to Rob C. Sorry to hear and somewhat concerned about your seeming thinly veiled dislike for McCallie. I hope that you are wrong about whatever is bothering you, re: her. Your reservations aside, I'm excited and I hope that the players feel good about the hire as well.

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluebear
04-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Not exactly a vote of confidence from someone in the know..
Can you talk about any of your potential concerns?

Kewlswim
04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Because Chante Black sat out the whole season with an injury, and Gay and Cheek were injured as well. Krystal Thomas only averaged 2 bpg in HS and may be more of a PF, plus she's a freshman. Also, Duke is only using 11 or so of its 15 allowed scholarships, is Emily Waner graduating or staying? Womens hoops has tons of injuries, many season or career ending. Duke has multiple players that can play the other 4 positions, but like this season when Bales was the only center, Duke needs another true center to have a rock solid team with reliable depth.

Duke was recently recruiting 6'6", 220 lb, Ta'Shia Phillips, what's going on with her? And I would think 6'9" Dehaan would want to leave MSU's sinking ship and play for national titles and be premed at a top school like Duke. Aren't all Duke games either televised or broadcast over computer? Duke's women like the men have the chance to be ESPN's darlings because its a private school with the best big time athletics and academics of any school, nobody cares about Michigan State unless they live in Michigan.

Also, about Gail being more of a friend to the players and McCallie yelling at them and ignoring them off the court, don't Pat Summit and especially Geno scream and yell at their players all the time? Maybe Duke just needs to toughen up and get yelled at to go all the way. Again, whatever McCallie's been doing at MSU and Maine must have been working big time. I can't believe she had no Mcdonalds allamerican, that will change in a major way. Jasmine Thomas is amazing, Harding was overrated, and we have 2 centers to replace Bales, including Chante whom Gail called the best center at Duke ever, while Bales was already around. Duke should be at least #6 preseason and #2 in the ACC.

Hi,

I realize women's and men's sports are two different beasts, but my goodness I would like these people who are afraid of the coach yelling at her players spend a practice or two watching Coach K work his magic. He may have mellowed with age, but I can tell you this he used to yell with the best of them.

GO DUKE!

dukeman28428
04-18-2007, 06:02 PM
This is a great hire for DUKE and give credit where it is due.

We have a proven coach that can win and I am very proud of what Joe and the committee have done to attract Coach McCallie

LET'S GO DUKE

heyman25
04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Don't know enough about the differences in the 2 coaches. I hope it works out. The most important thing is if we can continue to recruit great players and the returning team comes together like Tennessee did which led to their National Championship. They have 3 good freshwomen coming in and a pretty strong returning upperclasswomen.They do need to do better shooting their free throws.

chrishoke
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM
If you think RobC's post is negative, go visit the women's forum on TDD - almost a melt down.

Kewlswim
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi,

If Coach P is so awful and MSU wanted her gone so badly, why did they just sign her to a big contract? I think that the Duke job, just as the Texas job was to Coach G, was just too big an opportunity to pass up!

No Coach is perfect. Coach G has the "deer in the headlights" look at times. Geno is prickly, to say the least. Maybe Pat Summit is a perfect women's coach, but she sure does yell at her players.

Maybe Coach Boyle is the best women's coach, after all she did go to Duke. (I understand people on the LAX board have had a problem with my humor at times, that was meant to be humorous.) Things are moving forward. I don't think this is a lousy choice. I think she is going to do fine.

I hope we let Coach P be Coach P. She isn't Coach G. It is time to let Coach G go and start looking forward to next year. I think it could be fun. Let's have some fun and win championships along the way.

GO DUKE!

willywoody
04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
welcome joanne!

dukeman28428
04-18-2007, 09:08 PM
what is the matter with you people? mccallie is as good a hire as possible (on paper). we'll all have to wait and see how it works out. but she won at maine and michigan state. she was in the ncaa finals in '05 and was national coach of the year. she's big with usa basketball. somebody obviously thinks she can coach. she recently turned down florida and signed a 7-year contract at msu for $500K with incentives that could have taken it to $643K. she has a $500K buyout. what does this mean? it means that the rumors that duke didn't care about women's basketball because it loses $2.7 million are wrong. mccallie obviously is gettingbig contract, as coach G had, although it was falsely reported that she was the fifth highest paid duke coach. wrong. she was second. she was offered $1M to stay. and one other thing, at msu, mccallie was known at Coach P (her middle initial). we're just going down the alphabet. regardless of how it eventually works out, this is an extremely impressive hire. pat summit and geno weren't coming.

Bill, THANKS FOR TELLING IT LIKE IT IS.....THIS IS A GREAT DAY FOR DUKE AND WBB. JOE AND THE COMMITTEE HAVE STEPPED UP FOR DUKE AND GIVE THEM SOME CREDIT AND WE WILL WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS IN MY OPINION. JUST COLOR ME DUKE BLUE

dukeman28428
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
People people people....

Joanne P McCallie made every big time school opening's short list this year. THERE IS NO COMPARISION with Terri Mitchell at Marquette.

Joanne is a great hire for Duke and we all welcome her!!!!!!!!!!!!

This talk about her personality blah blah blah. Coach G's personality at times was suspect (ask former players and they shall remain nameless).

This slow offense you think she runs is also off base. The year she went to the Final Four and the national title game...she had a great back court who came from 17+ down and rally and beat Tennessee in 2005.

The recruits will still come as it is Duke...

Joanne P >Boyle>Mitchell

No question about it.

RIGHT ON........I AGREE WITH YOU 100% AND WE ARE LUCKY TO BE DUKE FANS AND SHOULD COUNT OUR BLESSINGS.

dukemsu
04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Big loss for MSU-big gain for Duke.

Joanne did a lot at State without a lot of talent. Overall, she'll be an excellent addition to the Duke community.

dukemsu

Waynne
04-18-2007, 09:39 PM
This is a tremendous hire for Duke. Coach P is a superb coach and a class act as a person. She did wonders at Maine and MSU, and is still an icon in the State of Maine. Time will tell, but I think she will move Duke WBB up a notch and will bring us our first women's NC.

killerleft
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Ms. McCallie sounds like a great hire. Given the anti-Aleva sentiment from a lot of people, including me in some ways, there were probably only a handful of available coaches whose hiring wouldn't have touched off a firestorm of some sort.

The coach is gone; long live the Coach!

SoCalDukeFan
04-18-2007, 10:58 PM
This looks like an quality hire to me. I do not follow women's bball closely, but she certainly seems to have the credentials.

Rather than criticize I think we should just support the new coach and the team.

So
Ca

Duke4Life
04-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Folks and fellow posters,

Like all the comments here. Joanne P McCallie is a tremendous get for our program.
I always talk about the tier of coaches in the women's game. You have your top tier and then your 2nd tier of top wome's coaches.
The top tier coaches in my opinion include:
Geno
Pat
Tara VanDeveer
Coach G
Kim Mulkey
Pokey Chatman
Sylvia Hatchell
Brenda Frese

The 2nd tier include:
Joanne P McCallie
Kay Yow
Sheri Coale
Melanie Balcomb
C Vivian Stringer(arguably the top tier considering her work at Cheyne St, Iowa and now Rutgers)
Jim Foster
Christie Currie
Andy Landers
Charlie Turner-Thorne

When you look at it like that, i think we are still in good company! Again, great hire in my opinion considering the coaches that were available. Some thought that Coach P was not available due to her contract signing...but what does that say about her wanting to come to Duke?????? Pretty amazing, huh?
I think that is a direct compliment to our program and our players and University.
Through further analysis, none of the top tier coaches are available for this job, except maybe Pokey Chatman (and as we are learning very quickly, that story is not what some people thought!). So you move onto the 2nd tier coaches. Looking at that list, it appears Duke did well again! Sherri Coale would have been great, but she was not leaving Oklahoma. Christie Currie is happy again in Texas Tech land.

Terri Mitchell should not appear in this conversation.
Coach P did a great job at Maine...think of that...Maine?! I like her demeanor on the sidelines. She's a balls to the wall type coach...not afraid...and will get on the officials (something G would not do as much). When I saw her stare down Pat Summitt that year in 2005 in the Final Four when MSU was making a run at them...i thought...she's gonna be good!

duke98
04-19-2007, 11:24 AM
...in addition to contacting our incoming freshmen, and getting Elena Della Donne to add Duke back to her list, is to keep Gale Valley as an assistant coach. I give Coach G all the credit in the world for building an outstanding program at Duke, but I don't think she could have done it without GV. GV *is* Duke basketball and has been since 1989. She's an excellent recruiter and is also wonderfully personable and down-to-earth.

I really hope Coach P does what it takes to keep GV at Duke. Has anyone heard anything about her plans for her coaching staff?

Kewlswim
04-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Folks and fellow posters,

Like all the comments here. Joanne P McCallie is a tremendous get for our program.
I always talk about the tier of coaches in the women's game. You have your top tier and then your 2nd tier of top wome's coaches.
The top tier coaches in my opinion include:
Geno
Pat
Tara VanDeveer
Coach G
Kim Mulkey
Pokey Chatman
Sylvia Hatchell
Brenda Frese

The 2nd tier include:
Joanne P McCallie
Kay Yow
Sheri Coale
Melanie Balcomb
C Vivian Stringer(arguably the top tier considering her work at Cheyne St, Iowa and now Rutgers)
Jim Foster
Christie Currie
Andy Landers
Charlie Turner-Thorne

When you look at it like that, i think we are still in good company! Again, great hire in my opinion considering the coaches that were available. Some thought that Coach P was not available due to her contract signing...but what does that say about her wanting to come to Duke?????? Pretty amazing, huh?
I think that is a direct compliment to our program and our players and University.
Through further analysis, none of the top tier coaches are available for this job, except maybe Pokey Chatman (and as we are learning very quickly, that story is not what some people thought!). So you move onto the 2nd tier coaches. Looking at that list, it appears Duke did well again! Sherri Coale would have been great, but she was not leaving Oklahoma. Christie Currie is happy again in Texas Tech land.

Terri Mitchell should not appear in this conversation.
Coach P did a great job at Maine...think of that...Maine?! I like her demeanor on the sidelines. She's a balls to the wall type coach...not afraid...and will get on the officials (something G would not do as much). When I saw her stare down Pat Summitt that year in 2005 in the Final Four when MSU was making a run at them...i thought...she's gonna be good!

Hi,

What about Coach Boyle, where does she rank?

GO DUKE!

Indoor66
04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Definitely a good choice. She has enough syllables in her name.

Cary
04-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I am afraid that both Gale Valley and Shannon Perry will be leaving; McCallie is bringing all of her assistants with her. No word yet on the rest of the basketball staff. Gale is going to UT to be on GG's staff.

NYC Duke Fan
04-19-2007, 01:27 PM
...in addition to contacting our incoming freshmen, and getting Elena Della Donne to add Duke back to her list, is to keep Gale Valley as an assistant coach. I give Coach G all the credit in the world for building an outstanding program at Duke, but I don't think she could have done it without GV. GV *is* Duke basketball and has been since 1989. She's an excellent recruiter and is also wonderfully personable and down-to-earth.

I really hope Coach P does what it takes to keep GV at Duke. Has anyone heard anything about her plans for her coaching staff?

How did she become Coach P ?

Kewlswim
04-19-2007, 01:42 PM
I am afraid that both Gale Valley and Shannon Perry will be leaving; McCallie is bringing all of her assistants with her. No word yet on the rest of the basketball staff. Gale is going to UT to be on GG's staff.

Hi,

Coach P is going to need to sink or swim on her own. Since she did well at MSU and Maine it is hoped she can do so at Duke. Coach G left and I think there were coaches loyal to her and not necessarily to Duke.

I don't see this as necessarily a horrible thing. On some level I've been concerned that both the men's and women's basketball team's staffs have become too insular. I feel that it is time for some new blood and new ideas and new ways of doing things. I understand that it is hard to argue with Duke's recent success, but once Coach G left I was pretty certain that whether we liked it or not, change was coming. I hope we embrace it and enjoy the ride.

I know people don't like to think this way, but the truth is that if this coaching situation does not work out Duke is not locked into anything. We had a wonderful, glorius, above great ride with Coach G. We couldn't have asked for much more. Things will be different and that means we may need to go through a couple of coaches before we find the one that is the right one. I am not going to put Coach G on the same level as Coach Wooden, I am just doing this for comparisons sake. When Coach Wooden left it took a while to find the right one, and maybe not until recently has UCLA really found the "right one."

We will go through this when Coach K leaves/retires too. I am glad we get to go through the process with the women's program to give us an idea of problems to look into, problems we may have not even ever thought of, once the men's program is turned over to someone else. I know that people are pretty sure that Coach K knows who he wants to give the reigns too and that person is on the staff. However, I hope that Duke says, "Thank you and your word carries a lot of weight. However, Coach K, for the good of the program we also need to open the search to others. People who have had a bit of head coaching experience are important to this search too." If you think this is a hint to Johnny Dawkins that he might want to take a head coaching job on his own to get that experience, you are darn right. I also think that by then Tommy might have built a juggurnaut at Harvard. Maybe he should be asked to come home? I didn't mean to get so far off topic. Guess I am in a stream of consciousness mood.

GO DUKE!

Duke4Life
04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi,

What about Coach Boyle, where does she rank?

GO DUKE!

She is in the next new wave of coaches...still on the brink.
She is in with Dawn Staley (Temple), Mark Trakh(USC), Tom Collen (Colorado St to Louisville to Arkansas), Curt Miller (BGSU), Kurt Budke (Ok St who is resurfacing), Elaine Elliott (Utah), Sue Semrau (Fla St)...

I expect her stock to rise. Much comparison right now b/w Coach P and Coach Boyle. Quite frankly, Coach P is right with the best of them in the business in terms of what she has accomplished in a short time at MSU. Her resume can stack up against many many foes.

ikiru36
04-19-2007, 02:38 PM
She is in the next new wave of coaches...still on the brink.
She is in with Dawn Staley (Temple), Mark Trakh(USC), Tom Collen (Colorado St to Louisville to Arkansas), Curt Miller (BGSU), Kurt Budke (Ok St who is resurfacing), Elaine Elliott (Utah), Sue Semrau (Fla St)...

I expect her stock to rise. Much comparison right now b/w Coach P and Coach Boyle. Quite frankly, Coach P is right with the best of them in the business in terms of what she has accomplished in a short time at MSU. Her resume can stack up against many many foes.

A simply point of comparison between McCallie and Boyle at this time. Last Summer, McCallie was the Head Coach of the U.S. U20 women's team, for which Boyle was an Assistant Coach. (BTW, McCallie has since been invited back to Head Coach the U21 team this summer.) This in no way should absolutely imply superiority as a coach but it does speak to their relative stature in the world of Women's Basketball.

This fact also makes me wonder whether (if Boyle's reasons for turning us down truly were simply her love of Cal and nothing negative about Duke) Boyle may have spoken highly/recommended McCallie as another good choice given their relationship. This is pure speculation, however.

buddy
04-19-2007, 04:33 PM
We know that McCallie likes to be called "Coach P." While that continues the tradition of initials, I think it offers opportunities and pitfalls. Will the tent city be P-ville? Also, can we now adopt the Austin Peay cheer "Let's Go Peay"?

robc
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
GV definitely to Texas; probably Shannon too.

The rest of the staff will almost certainly be retained (if they choose to stay).

It's "Coach P" because of her maiden name, Polumbo.

bluedevil
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
By the way, I would guess the chances of DeHaan coming with her would be slim, considering that the main reason she went to MSU was because it was close to home.

What's Ta'Shia Phillips thinking, list of schools, time frame for deciding?

Alyssa Dehaan quoted below says she went to MSU to win a national championship (says it twice), and equally to become a doctor. She also says the people and coaches are great and it's close to home. She wants to play against the best and win national titles. Duke with Dehaan would be a favorite for the national title every year and is the best premed school with decent hoops, plus I think there's a special premed program for female athletes like Bales and Emily Waner. MSU has no shot at a title and mediocre academics, McCallie was overachieving with zero Mcdonalds allamericans. All the MSU coaches are at Duke now, and Duke and the ACC has the best players and competition, and media exposure with half the games on TV and the rest broadcast online. Not every coach knows what to do with a 6'9" center, Dehaan shouldn't gamble and waste time with a new coach, she already knows McCallie and Duke are the best fit for her.

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/dehaan_allyssa00.html

"Why did you choose to come to MSU?

I chose MSU because I have the opportunity to win a national championship, and equally pursue another dream of becoming a doctor at the same time. The people here are great. I felt like I fit in immediately. The coaches are top notch, along with the whole basketball program. The team instantly became my family and friends. I'm only one hour from home, so my family and friends can come watch me play as well.

What do you love about the NCAA Tournament?

I love the opportunity of playing against some of the most talented players in the country, and of course winning a national championship. "

oso diablo
04-20-2007, 11:52 AM
like this hire. was impressed with the coach in the 2005 tourney.

merry
04-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't see this as necessarily a horrible thing. On some level I've been concerned that both the men's and women's basketball team's staffs have become too insular.

I'm not sure where this comment is coming from - yes GV had been here forever but both Tia and Shannon were relatively new additions to the staff, and none of the assistants were former Duke players or had played for or with G before being on her staff.

Tommac
04-20-2007, 01:41 PM
In NCAA women's division 1, do players have to sit out a year if they transfer to another division 1 school, similar to the NCAA men's rule?

ikiru36
04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
What's Ta'Shia Phillips thinking, list of schools, time frame for deciding?

Alyssa Dehaan quoted below says she went to MSU to win a national championship (says it twice), and equally to become a doctor. She also says the people and coaches are great and it's close to home. She wants to play against the best and win national titles. Duke with Dehaan would be a favorite for the national title every year and is the best premed school with decent hoops, plus I think there's a special premed program for female athletes like Bales and Emily Waner. MSU has no shot at a title and mediocre academics, McCallie was overachieving with zero Mcdonalds allamericans. All the MSU coaches are at Duke now, and Duke and the ACC has the best players and competition, and media exposure with half the games on TV and the rest broadcast online. Not every coach knows what to do with a 6'9" center, Dehaan shouldn't gamble and waste time with a new coach, she already knows McCallie and Duke are the best fit for her.

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/dehaan_allyssa00.html

"Why did you choose to come to MSU?

I chose MSU because I have the opportunity to win a national championship, and equally pursue another dream of becoming a doctor at the same time. The people here are great. I felt like I fit in immediately. The coaches are top notch, along with the whole basketball program. The team instantly became my family and friends. I'm only one hour from home, so my family and friends can come watch me play as well.

What do you love about the NCAA Tournament?

I love the opportunity of playing against some of the most talented players in the country, and of course winning a national championship. "

Once again, related to the ethics/karma issue, i don't particularly like this line of inquiry. Nevertheless, if it were truly Dehaan's wish to come to Duke, we certainly shouldn't turn her away if the rest of our team thinks she'd be a good addition. That being said, not sure under what precedent she wouldn't have to sit out the year(hoops-wise), as MSU would be well within its rights not to grant a waiver as she is a matriculated student who has already benefitted from their scholarship offer to her.

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!

jjasper0729
04-20-2007, 02:09 PM
In NCAA women's division 1, do players have to sit out a year if they transfer to another division 1 school, similar to the NCAA men's rule?

yes. they have to sit out a year. Erickson and vanGorp had to when they transferred from Purdue. Emily Waner had to when she transferred from Colorado

bluedevil
04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Of course Dehaan would be a great addition, Duke would dominate everybody in the paint, check out the picture below. She's 6'9" but thinner than Bales or Van Gorp and can run the floor, kind of has a shorter Yao Ming type frame. 12.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4.5 bpg as a freshman like Bales as a senior but shoots better FG% and FT% than Bales with fewer turnovers, Dehaan could be Duke's best player and MVP immediately. With only Wanisha leaving next year, with Dehaan or Ta'Shia Phillips Duke would be dominant in 09. Dehaan's a proven college star so she should get first crack at the position then if she says no, go after Ta'Shia Phillips. Knowing Dehaan's premed and wants to win national titles and play with and against the best players for topnotch coaches, it would be rude of McCallie not to ask her if she wants to come to Duke.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/120406aaa.html

markbdevil
04-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Watch Coach P's press conference today at www.goduke.com
Too bad her husband graduated from UNC.

Kewlswim
04-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi,

I want a person who is very happy and excited to be at Duke. I don't understand why there is so much negativity about this hire. No coach is perfect. Sheesh. Please, support the Coach.

Coach P, Welcome to Duke.

GO DUKE!

Kewlswim
04-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure where this comment is coming from - yes GV had been here forever but both Tia and Shannon were relatively new additions to the staff, and none of the assistants were former Duke players or had played for or with G before being on her staff.

Hi,

I thought most of the staff had been here for a long time, back to Debby Leonard. The comments are more appropos for the MBB team.

GO DUKE!

robc
04-20-2007, 04:40 PM
DeHaan went to MSU because it's near home--that was a prime factor. Also, Coach P very specifically mentioned that she was NOT going to bring any of the players with her from MSU. Put the DeHaan thing to rest.

robc
04-20-2007, 04:43 PM
The only assistant who dated back to the Debbie Leonard era was Gale Valley. Recall that Joanne Boyle and LaVonda Wagner are examples of 2 coaches who were Duke assistants who got head coaching jobs. Georgia Schweitzer was also an assistant before she went to med school, and there have been several others.

bill brill
04-20-2007, 05:24 PM
she said today that four members of her staff -- I am assuming three are assistants -- will be coming with her.

Indoor66
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Glad to see you back. You were on vacation for a while. I always enjoy your posts.

ikiru36
04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Watch Coach P's press conference today at www.goduke.com
Too bad her husband graduated from UNC.

UNC grad, eh? At least that does explain (if not excuse) his poor social graces (as regards the airport incident). :0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wxyz
04-20-2007, 08:34 PM
yes. they have to sit out a year. Erickson and vanGorp had to when they transferred from Purdue. Emily Waner had to when she transferred from Colorado

It seems that contracts are binding for students but not for coaches.

watzone
04-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Blue Devil Nation Take On Today's Press Conference (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/4/20/2894971.html)

2001dukechamps
04-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I for one think she was the best canidate out there (yes better then Boyle)....I am happy now that we actually have a coach who will not fold under pressure...Coach P sounds good to me!!!..LETS GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

captmojo
04-21-2007, 02:29 PM
This looks like the best of all options. She appears to love being here and the team and fans appear to love having her here. I can only see a successful long term relationship with the university and this fine lady.

Her husband will get over it.

Kewlswim
04-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I for one think she was the best canidate out there (yes better then Boyle)....I am happy now that we actually have a coach who will not fold under pressure...Coach P sounds good to me!!!..LETS GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Why is Coach P a better choice than Coach Boyle? Is it the Final Four or that Coach Boyle was her assistant at USA Basketball or that she REALLY wants to be at Duke? :D

GO DUKE!

chrishoke
04-21-2007, 08:32 PM
It's that Boyle has a graduate degree from holeville.

Kickboot
04-22-2007, 12:58 AM
On the one hand, you are making insinuations and then saying you "can't talk about them here." Fine by me. But if you can't talk about them, why even bring them up?

Then on your site, you have a banner headline reading "Welcome, Coach Joanne P. McCallie!" and then go on to say mostly complimentary things, and at worse neutral things. Then here, you say "I will hope that JP can sustain the excellence of the Duke program, since at this point we have no other choice."

I'm sure you'll agree that that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

So I guess what I'm saying is...you obviously disagree with the choice and you've either heard or believe some very negative things. When you say "I can't talk about here," that suggests something ugly. "I will" hope suggests you expect her to fail, as does "we have no other choice." Are you waiting for a train wreck?

If these are your feelings about the woman, why don't you just come out and say so? And to avoid being hypocritical, if you can come to other boards and make negative insinutations about McCallie, why not say the same things on your own site?

devildownunder
04-22-2007, 10:06 AM
after looking at her credentials I thought she was a good pick but after hearing her talk about how this was her dream job (quote: "It took 15 years for the job to open up") I couldn't be happier with her as a selection. I am a firm believer in having athletic coaches who love the school and the program for which they work before they ever even get there. It just seems like there is no substitute for that level of enthusiasm such fondness brings. And I think that enthusiasm is what it takes to maintain a perennial winner.

I'm excited!

Let's go ladies!

Madrasdukie
04-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Oh! here I go again starting another thread :)

I guess I have to be excused 'cause I'm not in Durham anymore...

I couldn't contain the distinct sense of excitement, and the involuntary smile when I watched and heard Coach P talk about Duke basketball - particularly, I couldn't wipe the smile of my face when she talked about her ACC inspirations: the provenance of the term "Coach P" (for those who don't know this already, she was apparently a huge fan of Jimmy V and hence the nomenclature), and her long standing admiration of Coach K (she mentioned she's read all of his books).

She had an infectious smile and answered all questions with elan.

I'm glad.

Indoor66
04-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for you post. In my limited views of her since the announcement, I find her to be refreshing. She has a childlike enthusiasm that is infectious. I look forward to her Duke team hitting the floor next year.

sanhew
04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Kellie Watson is actually a rising senior from Ionia High School in Michigan. She's not from Iowa. Easy to see how Iowa and Ionia get confused, however.

RepoMan
04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
On the one hand, you are making insinuations and then saying you "can't talk about them here." Fine by me. But if you can't talk about them, why even bring them up?
. . . If these are your feelings about the woman, why don't you just come out and say so?

I agree. It is one thing to express an inability to offer sources for recruiting info, but to make vague negative comments about a new coach, implying that you have information that you don't wish to share seems unfair. Of course, I assume Rob doesn't want to alienate the coach, and he was a primary questioner at the presser.

MChambers
04-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Got to assume that Iona College is in the hunt for her services, too!

bird
04-23-2007, 10:43 AM
I hit photos of the press conference, and I thought the faces of the players were saying something, and that something was clearly positive about McCallie.

glutton
04-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't know a whole lot about her as a coach, but I was in high school in maine when she coached at UMO, and I remember she got everyone really excited about women's basketball... no easy task at a totally hockey-centric school. and based on the attendance figures, it sounds like she did the same thing at MSU.

dukemomLA
05-03-2007, 02:46 AM
I've waited all day for someone to comment on Coach P's staff -- and not a word. Don't you guys care about the Women's team?! If not, shame on you. They are awesome!! So....let's hear some thoughts about what she has assembled. It looks like a successful group to me.

chrishoke
05-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I am very pleased that Shannon Perry has been retained. The two assts. joining Coach P from MSU are excellent. I am ecstatic and can't wait for next year! :D

killerleft
05-03-2007, 10:26 AM
All three seem to have excellent resumes, plus Don Shula might bring the "53" defense with him. Perry gets big points for looks alone.

wilko
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Perry gets big points for looks alone.

Im glad you said that 1st cuz I was sure thinking it!

That Don Shula crack.... thats hilarious!
I was like... "where have I seen that dude before?" now I know.

killerleft
05-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Bob Matheson was one helluva player at Duke and the pros. Plus he played back when I was growing up, so I remember him as a god, almost. In my mind I can still see his official football photo for Duke, I think. Not sure, but I believe he is doing the running back pose with gritted teeth (pretty sure he was a fullback as well as linebacker).

dukemomLA
05-21-2007, 04:03 AM
I've been really impressed so far with women's Coach P. I'd love to hear from DBR fathfuls.

I think she's done an amazing job so far with connecting with her players and future recruits. And I think she is THE ONE to bring a NC to Duke with the women's team.

Your thoughts??

Kewlswim
05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi,

However, the proof is in the pudding. Let's see how she does in the regular and hopefully post-season to see how good a fit she is and if she can bring a National Championship home to where it belongs in Durham, North Carolina.

GO DUKE!

Indoor66
05-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I agree. She is impressive. I look forward to next season - to see how her team performs. That said, in my mind, she has a number of years to reach that "NC" that others speak about. She has the opportunity to have her own players, IMO.