PDA

View Full Version : Boozer staying put

jimsumner
07-01-2009, 08:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4298160

JasonEvans
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
This was a no-brainer considering how few teams are going to be bidding for big-money free agents this summer. It also matters that he had a disappointing injury-plagued season this past year. If Carlos is healthy and back to being 20ppg and 11rpg this coming year, he will be in line for a very big contract next year.

After Wade, James, and Bosh, I think Boozer will be in the next tier of the 2010 free agent class along with guys like Joe Johnson and Michael Redd. Teams are also going to have to decide how much they want to pay for older stars like Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen, and Dirk Nowitzki.

--Jason "next summer is going to be insane!" Evans

superdave
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I would really love to see Boozer stay healthy and play well enough to be considered a top tier player. I think if he had opted out this year in a cold market, he would have earned a lot of ill will from Utah fans and across the league. Wise move to stay put.

Milsap seems like a great pick up for someone. Maybe Cleveland?

BD80
07-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I would really love to see Boozer stay healthy and play well enough to be considered a top tier player. I think if he had opted out this year in a cold market, he would have earned a lot of ill will from Utah fans and across the league. Wise move to stay put.

With Shaq and some other big contracts, there is no way the Cavs have salary cap room. Milsap would have to take the mid-level, but he should get nearly twice that. The Pistons have cap room and the need. However, for some reason, the Pistons are targeting Ben Gordon - and even fired Michael Curry because of the dissension that decision has caused. :eek:

Boozer could have been one of the top free agents this year, with few teams having money. Next year there may be more teams with money, but MUCH more competition for the top salary slots. Los has proven wise in financial decisions so far, I'll bet he knows what he is doing.

CDu
07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
--Jason "next summer is going to be insane!" Evans

Conversely, this offseason could be the other extreme (from a free agent perspective). That said, the trading over the next several may get crazy instead. Teams are very wary of the large group of free agents next year, and the free agent talent available this year isn't that good.

m g
07-01-2009, 11:10 PM

I think Jazz fans would have been dancing in the streets if Boozer had left. I've followed them closely since living in Utah for a couple years, and as much as it hurts to say, I was not happy to see Boozer stay with the team. I'd have been happier wishing him the best in some other team's uniform.

This columnist calls himself the last Boozer advocate left in Utah...
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_12733301

Oriole Way
07-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I hope Carlos stays healthy and has a great season for Utah.

I really think Cleveland would have been best served getting Carlos Boozer instead of Shaq... while the Shaq move is low-risk and should help the Cavs, I think they #1 thing they were missing for a title run was a high-scoring power forward, and obviously Carlos fits that mold.

Hopefully he has a better/healthier run in Utah than that of the past couple seasons.

JasonEvans
07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Ready for the ultimate deal?

Utah wants to get rid of Boozer. They could trade with Cleveland for Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Both Z and Carlos have expiring contracts after this season and their contracts are close enough to make the deal work under the cap. I believe Utah would save a couple million dollars in the deal, which is important to them because they do not want to go over the luxury tax very much to re-sign Paul Milsap.

I am not sure Cleveland still needs Z now that they have Shaq-- unless you think it makes sense to pay $11 million dollars to Z to be a 15 minutes per game backup center.

Shaq, Boozer, and LeBron would be easily the best front-line in the NBA.

--Jason "C'mon Danny Ferry... make this happen!" Evans

m g
07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Ready for the ultimate deal?

Utah wants to get rid of Boozer. They could trade with Cleveland for Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Both Z and Carlos have expiring contracts after this season and their contracts are close enough to make the deal work under the cap. I believe Utah would save a couple million dollars in the deal, which is important to them because they do not want to go over the luxury tax very much to re-sign Paul Milsap.

I am not sure Cleveland still needs Z now that they have Shaq-- unless you think it makes sense to pay $11 million dollars to Z to be a 15 minutes per game backup center.

Shaq, Boozer, and LeBron would be easily the best front-line in the NBA.

this deal makes so little sense for utah that i don't even know where to start. usually you have to get both teams to agree to a trade

JasonEvans
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
this deal makes so little sense for utah that i don't even know where to start. usually you have to get both teams to agree to a trade

They want to get rid of Boozer and they want to save some money to be able to re-sign Milsap. Plus, seeing as Z's contract expires at the end of this season, they do not tie up money in the future.

Z is a huge upgrade at C to Koufos (or whoever was backing up Okur). Heck, between Okur, Milsap, and Z they would have a nice 3-man rotation at the bigs that they would not otherwise have with Boozer because beither Boozer nor Milsap are effective at C but Okur can play C or PF.

I am not saying it will happen, only that I think it makes some sense. I would expect Utah to get something additional in the deal-- perhaps cash or a 2nd round draft pick as I don't think Utah would really want another player in the deal and I doubt Cleveland would throw in their first rounder.

I do think Utah is going to trade Boozer, or at least try to trade him. This is a destination and a trade that seems to be at least possible.

I've heard talk of Boozer for Rip Hamilton sort of deal, but Detroit must get a center, not another PF. Hmmm, what about a 3-way that sends Z to Detroit, Boozer to Cleveland, and Rip to Utah.

--Jason "let's make a deal!!" Evans

theAlaskanBear
07-07-2009, 01:05 PM
I agree that Utah isnt exactly thrilled to have Boozer back, and trading him makes a certain amount of sense, BUT I don't see Z as remotely attractive, first of all BOTH contracts are expiring, so there is no need to dump salary...you arent saving significant amounts of money over a couple of years.

Z is a mid-range jumpshooting center with no versatility and very little defense. He's too slow to do pick and rolls and not enough range to pick and pop.

Since they believe that Millsap is a solid replacement for Boozer, if they trade Boozer they would go for a killer offensive guard/wing player, because that is their biggest weakness.

I think they will just sit tight, because they are a playoff team, and trading Boozer for anything other a quality-long term player dont make any sense when they can hit the free agent pool next year.

With Boozer (healthy) they are a 4-6 seed playoff team thats dangerous with a shot at 2nd round playoffs. Without Boozer, they are iffy playoff team with no shot at second round. Sit tight, make a playoff run, wave goodbye when he leaves.

SilkyJ
07-07-2009, 02:53 PM

That's an expensive backup center, but without Z they would have no backup Center...or at least not anyone to speak of. Would be an unstoppable frontline and starting 5 though.

Also, didn't see this mentioned anywhere but when shaq went on PTI after his trade he said he was grateful to Lebron and "the great Danny Ferry" for this opportunity. High praise from the Big Witness Protection on this Shaquisition!

(I wish I was cool enough for those clever sayings to be mine, but they aren't)

superdave
07-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I dont think anyone in Cleveland is ready to take Boozer back just yet. He seems to have developed a reputation around the league for being injured and looking for the next contract. That whole saga in Cleveland a few years back was just ugly. Perhaps an injury free season where he puts up 20/10 will make everyone love him next year.

As for free agency, no love for Paul Milsap? Seems like a bargain at $5 million. I would think a contender like Cleveland, Boston, Orlando or Houston would snatch him up.

Super "Strange offseason." Dave

OZZIE4DUKE
07-07-2009, 05:02 PM
They want to get rid of Boozer
Boozer to the Knicks, where he joins Duhon and G Hill!
Wishful thinking I guess.

airowe
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
[/URL]
Sources stressed to ESPN.com that no deal was imminent Thursday and that both Portland and Utah are still evaluating additional trade scenarios. But two sources with knowledge of the three-team proposal confirmed that there have been substantive talks aimed at landing Boozer in Chicago, Hinrich in Portland and Tyrus Thomas in Utah.

Maybe Boozer isn't staying put.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4317515 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4317515)

theAlaskanBear
07-10-2009, 07:53 AM
That would make sense for all teams involved. Boozer would be great in Chicago.