3rd team:
Joe Trapani
Sylvan Landesburg
Rakim Sanders
Tracy Smith
Iman Shumpert

Wander
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Seems about right, and wow is it just me, or is there a pretty sizable gap in between the 1st team and 2nd team? I can't imagine Singler, Davis, Booker, or Vasquez not making the 1st team. The obvious omission is Favors, the freshman at GT. Those six guys - your first team and Favors - I think will be two steps above everyone else. Also explains why the ACC looks like a mess at top - those guys are spread across six different teams.

Greg_Newton
06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
That all seems likely enough, except I might bump Ginyard off the list completely (maybe wishful thinking, but I don't think it's a given that he'll be an elite player when he returns) and I would put Derrick Favors on at least the 2nd team. Maybe the 1st team ahead of Davis or Aminu, because despite their consirable upsides I am not quite sold on them as legitimate "stars" just yet. I'm also hopefully that Nolan will have a good enough (and complete enough, knock on wood) season to merit at least 3rd team honors.

Skitzle
06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
wouldn't be too shocked if deon thompson bumped someone from first team.

FireOgilvie
06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I think John Henson will make at least 3rd team and he'll average 14+ pts/game. I wouldn't be surprised if he led UNC in scoring.

ACCBBallFan
06-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Pretty good list. Three candidates I would add are Jeff Allen, Dwayne Collins , Eric Hayes though I am not sure who they would displace.

Another given his increased PT and visibility may be Nolan Smith.

I agree with leaving freshmen and their HS halos off the list until we see them in ACC play.

I agree it is pretty spread out across a lot of ACC teams and thet's where experience like Lance, Zoubek and Smith and two high potential frosh like Mason/Kelly while maybe not All ACC talent level will trump what a lot of other ACC teams have, with no more or as good a stars combo as Singler/Scheyer.

Lack of proven depth and lack of experience will be an issue for everybody in ACC.

Azdukefan
06-29-2009, 06:17 PM
If Nolan comes close to making any of the teams, it will have been a special year for us. I predict a breakout similar to that of G (maybe not as big but you never know) and we will be praying for ONE MORE YEAR, ONE MORE YEAR, ONE MORE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cumae Sybl
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
If Nolan comes close to making any of the teams, it will have been a special year for us. I predict a breakout similar to that of G (maybe not as big but you never know) and we will be praying for ONE MORE YEAR, ONE MORE YEAR, ONE MORE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has to show something on court for him to garner any sort of preseason accolades. He had a goodish run to close out the year, but he had an injury break where he really rested up for the stretch run. I want to beleive that his play at the end of last year was indicative that Nolan finally "got it" as far as basketball, but there is a niggling little voice that whispers he was the freshest player on the court.

I would love for him to break out, and he certainly could. But to expect it based on his performance so far is shakey.

wolfpackdevil
06-29-2009, 09:55 PM
I think Delaney is going to be a lot better than people think. I think he will be on the first team instead of Aminu.

And Tracy Smith is also gonna be one of the best offensive bigs in the ACC and in my opinon will be on the second team.

Bay Area Duke Fan
06-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I expect Sylvan Landesburg to be first or second team All ACC.

RelativeWays
06-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Swap Deon for Sylvan and I think the OP has it right. I think both Henson and MP2 will make serious runs for their respective teams and it wouldn't surprise me to see either on the 2nd and 3rd team.

gw67
06-30-2009, 11:00 AM
On player not mentioned who could contend for All Acc honors is Alabi of FSU. You can't teach 7-1 and, based on the few times I saw him play, it appeared that he was beginning to mesh his size with his physical talents (runs the court well, jumps well for his size, good timing on blocking shots) with increased understanding of the game at the Division 1 level. I expect major improvement from Alabi this year.

gw67

SupaDave
06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Seems about right, and wow is it just me, or is there a pretty sizable gap in between the 1st team and 2nd team? I can't imagine Singler, Davis, Booker, or Vasquez not making the 1st team. The obvious omission is Favors, the freshman at GT. Those six guys - your first team and Favors - I think will be two steps above everyone else. Also explains why the ACC looks like a mess at top - those guys are spread across six different teams.

Favors is the truth!

Olympic Fan
06-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I think you have seriously overrated a couple of veterans who bring nothing more that experience to the table.

Specifically, no way Deon Thompson is one of the top 10 players in the ACC. He's a nice solid player -- but a so-so rebounder, a mediocre defender and a limited offensive player who shot 49 percent last year even though defenses were focused on stopping Hansbrough inside. After three years, does his game suddenly blossom as a senior? It can happen (as Chris Carrawell showed), but it's very rare.

On the other hand, in this day and age, talented youth is usually better than less-talented experience. I think the original list underrates the young talent in the league.

Of course there are no guarantees in freshmen, but I'm guessing that the leading freshman scorer in the ACC next year (not necessarily the best freshman) will be Michael Snaer at FSU. He has explosive offensive skills and he'll have plenty of opportunity on as team that needs scoring punch.

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that John Henson at UNC has a chance to be the best freshman in the ACC. Either he or Derrick Favors. But both will have so much scoring help that neither will match Snaer in the scoring race.

Among sophomores who should blossom, I put Alabi at the top of the list. He's a potential top 10 NBA draft pick next spring. Last year, he played two less minutes a game than Deon Thompson, yet had almost the same scoring/rebounding stats, while shooting 54 percent from the field (with no Hansbrough to take the post heat off him) and he blocked twice as many shots. I ask you, which is more likely to blossom next season -- a second-year player (who had slightly better overall numbers) or a fourth-year player?

Yeah, Ed Davis is a good candidate to explode as a soph. So are Aminu at Wake, Reggie Jackson at BC and don't forget Shumpert at Georgia Tech. Not as sure about Landesberg. I think his game will improve (as most players do between their freshman and sophomore seasons), but I think his scoring numbers will decline in Tony Bennett's system.

I'm not too sold on Tracy Smith. He's a pretty one-dimensional post player. Yeah, he finishes strong around the basket, but he's not a creator -- most of what he had last year was set up by McCauley or Costner (who averaged 4.4 assists between them ... in contrast to Hansbrough/Thompson at 1.7 or Singler/Thomas at 2.9). Like Thompson, Smith is a so-so rebounder and a poor defender.

As for Nolan Smith, I think he demonstrated at his peak that he could play at an all-star level ... he just has to play at that peak a lot more often. If (and I agree it's a big if) the guy could play like he did in his first 10 games and his last six in 2009, then he could be a second/third team candidate.

JasonEvans
06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
wouldn't be too shocked if deon thompson bumped someone from first team.

I would be. He was terrible in try-outs for the World University Games team over the summer. He was a black hole that shot the ball every time he touched it but he only made 26% of his field goals-- which is just awful. He still made the team, but the lesson here is that he is not your first option on offense... not even close.

We've seen him in action plenty, so I know he is not that bad a player, but I think not having Lawson to draw and dish for him and not having Hasbro to draw all the interior attention will hurt his game some. Plus, I bet Carolina builds their inside offense around Ed Davis. Thompson will remain the 2nd option, which means he'll have another season averaging around 10 or 11 ppg while splitting time with Tyler Zeller.

He may be a 3rd teamer, but I think 2nd team could be a bit of a stretch and I would be shocked if he found his way onto the All-ACC first team.

--Jason "if Henson gets minutes at the 4, not the 3, then that will cut even more into Thompson's time and touches" Evans

Cumae Sybl
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I would be. He was terrible in try-outs for the World University Games team over the summer. He was a black hole that shot the ball every time he touched it but he only made 26% of his field goals-- which is just awful. He still made the team, but the lesson here is that he is not your first option on offense... not even close.

We've seen him in action plenty, so I know he is not that bad a player, but I think not having Lawson to draw and dish for him and not having Hasbro to draw all the interior attention will hurt his game some. Plus, I bet Carolina builds their inside offense around Ed Davis. Thompson will remain the 2nd option, which means he'll have another season averaging around 10 or 11 ppg while splitting time with Tyler Zeller.

He may be a 3rd teamer, but I think 2nd team could be a bit of a stretch and I would be shocked if he found his way onto the All-ACC first team.

--Jason "if Henson gets minutes at the 4, not the 3, then that will cut even more into Thompson's time and touches" Evans

Henson is the key to UNC's whole season. If he is a strong option at the 3, UNC can put a scary lineup on the court. If he cannot handle the three and has to take time from Thompson and Davis, UNC is merely a good, but nowhere near great, team. A team that would develop serious chemistry issues by Christmas.