PDA

View Full Version : steve johnson

NovaScotian
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
fwiw, i think we'll be seeing a considerable amount of steve johnson this year - playing late minutes in the first half when one or more of our guards is in foul trouble. not unlike the role of his jersey's previous owner, patrick johnson, in the 05 and 06 seasons, or jordan davidson in the 07 season. steve has no offensive game, but is a great athlete and could do a decent job defending opposing 2s or 3s. at the very least, he's an extra five fouls.

thoughts?

Kedsy
06-27-2009, 02:31 PM
fwiw, i think we'll be seeing a considerable amount of steve johnson this year - playing late minutes in the first half when one or more of our guards is in foul trouble. not unlike the role of his jersey's previous owner, patrick johnson, in the 05 and 06 seasons, or jordan davidson in the 07 season. steve has no offensive game, but is a great athlete and could do a decent job defending opposing 2s or 3s. at the very least, he's an extra five fouls.

thoughts?

I don't know. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt we'll see any walk-on guards playing meaningful minutes in league games or against difficult opponents. Even if Nolan or Jon is in serious first half foul trouble I suspect we'll shift Kyle to the 2. Although I suppose it's also possible, as you say, that one of the walk-ons plays a couple minutes late in the first half in such a situation.

One or more of the walk-on guards could see some time against easier non-league opponents, although personally I'd sooner see Olek get extra minutes in those situations.

Maxwell1977
06-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Will Johnson be on the team? If so, he's not a guard.

ACCBBallFan
06-28-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't know. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt we'll see any walk-on guards playing meaningful minutes in league games or against difficult opponents. Even if Nolan or Jon is in serious first half foul trouble I suspect we'll shift Kyle to the 2. Although I suppose it's also possible, as you say, that one of the walk-ons plays a couple minutes late in the first half in such a situation.

One or more of the walk-on guards could see some time against easier non-league opponents, although personally I'd sooner see Olek get extra minutes in those situations. Agree with Kedsy.

Though Steve is listed as a forward, he is 6'5" and if I recall was Colorado HS high jump champion. So guys like him and Olek have potential to play some mop up minutes to rest Nolan or Jon or Kyle, but in competitive games will go with Kyle and Lance rather then either/or guarding the perimeter guys if Jon/Nolan need a rest.

Steve has played two seasons and reshirted one so should have two years of eligibility left.