PDA

View Full Version : G in the green room?

Azdukefan
06-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I am assuming G will be in attendance at the draft tonight. Can anyone verify this? I know someone is going to think this is a stupid question but I believe only a certain number of players go/get invited. Not a fan of the association or G leaving but I may as well be supportive!

Kdogg
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Here's the projected list.

http://dimemag.com/2009/06/nba-draft-green-room-invitees-list/

weezie
06-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Can we comment on worst suits?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
06-25-2009, 08:46 PM
And boom goes the dynamite.

sivartrenrag
06-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Not happy about where he ended up but I'm excited to see him take this step.

Congratulations, Gerald! Have fun showing all those 'holes how to play the game.

pfrduke
06-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Followed by Hansbrough at 13, complete with an "overrated" chant from the folks at the Garden. Good times.

BlueintheFace
06-25-2009, 08:51 PM
... and Hansbrough gets the "Over-Rated" cheer at the draft. Hilarious.

weezie
06-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Joy in tarholeland. tbangs gets a hat. Tuck your shirt in snappy.

_Gary
06-25-2009, 08:54 PM

You beat me to it. That was priceless! :D

weezie
06-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Brandon Jennings is looney tunes.

COYS
06-25-2009, 08:59 PM

As a Hawks fan, I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. Word on the street was the Hawks had decided to skip on a point guard (yet again) and nab Beaker. Still a good chance the Hawks end up with Lawson, but I'm still excited it won't be Hans.

superdave
06-25-2009, 09:03 PM
This guy is going to be a player....surprised to see some of these PGs going ahead of him. Size, speed, guts.

Loved the "over rated" cheer. I hate that guy with a passion. He's a poor man's Troy Murphy a best.

The suits have been tame tonight, actually relatively nice looking.

weezie
06-25-2009, 09:06 PM
All in all, a pretty snoozy night.

pfrduke
06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
And the Timberwolves drafted three point guards because . . . ?

airowe
06-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Ty Lawson will be this year's Darrell Arthur. Traded thrice on draft night, then caught smoking weed at the rookie transitional camp.

GTHC

MarkD83
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Maybe Coach K can make a trade with the T'wolves for one of their PGs.

mapei
06-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Ty Lawson will be this year's Darrell Arthur. Traded thrice on draft night, then caught smoking weed at the rookie transitional camp.

Your basis for that is?

RainingThrees
06-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Your basis for that is?

Well Lawson is gonna be traded by the Wolves who alerady took 3 guards for some reason. Only 2 more trades and getting caught with pot and the prediction will come true.

weezie
06-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I could do this deputy commissioner guy's job, easy.

Greg_Newton
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Was anyone else shocked by the Cavs' pick there? Blair, Young, Summers, and Budinger all on the board and capable of helping out in the all-important next year, and they go with a 20-year old raw talent that is years away from playing in the NBA? Head-scratcher.

FireOgilvie
06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Was anyone else shocked by the Cavs' pick there? Blair, Young, Summers, and Budinger all on the board and capable of helping out in the all-important next year, and they go with a 20-year old raw talent that is years away from playing in the NBA? Head-scratcher.

Yes, although they could use another tall, athletic wing player. This was drafting purely on need.

COYS
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM

I think this just means they're going for more proven veteran talent with moves that are yet to happen. They can stash this guy in Europe for a while and bring him over when he's ready without using any guaranteed cap space.

theAlaskanBear
06-26-2009, 05:41 AM
I completely agree about the Cavs and more moves coming, otherwise it doesnt make sense why they passed up on some really talented NBA ready players for Eyenga.

I thought the Knicks had a good draft despite missing out on Curry. They ended up with Jordan Hill and Toney Douglas, who could end up a surprisingly good guard out of this years draft.

Other than that, I wasnt real impressed with anyone elses draft. The new Minnesota GM is already looking like an idiot to me, although I do think Rubio will become a very solid player in a couple of years. Flynn over Curry is very curious in my mind, but not a draft killer. 4 point guards is. There was still good value out available with their 3rd pick and they draft & trade for nothing emminently useful.

I did like what the Bulls and Memphis did. Memphis got three energetic defensive, hardnosed front court players which should help out on a team with Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo, and Marc Gasol. Bulls got some athletes for the frontcourt who should be decent scorers.

Wheat/"/"/"
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Loved the "over rated" cheer. I hate that guy with a passion. He's a poor man's Troy Murphy a best.

C'mon superdave, you guy's...you "I hate that guy" fans... just can't stand to admit you've been wrong about TH's talent can you? As a fan, and a UNC fan in particular, I have got to call you out on this.

The kid is a player...simple as that. And I absolutely think he will prove it on the NBA court.

Evidently Larry Bird thinks so too, and was willing to back his opinion of TH's talent with millions of dollars, so I'll stand with Bird on this one.

Look, I understand rivalries, but what bugs me about all this is the irrational hate and lack of respect for him, and his game.

It also seems that it's just not cool anymore to be something that is considered...let's see...right, and good.
That bugs me too.

We have a kid here who's never done anything outrageous or edgy on or off the court. Always represented himself as someone a coach, school, or parent could be proud of. He's a Dudley Doright kind of kid. (look that up if you need too). A little old school, maybe even boring, but not derserving of any sort of hate. A good mental exercise might be to try subtituting the word "respect" every time you want to say "hate" when you speak or write about TH.

I don't know him, but after watching him conduct himself on a national stage for four years, it seems pretty safe to say he's a good person. He plays the game how it should be played, with passion, and obviously gets the most of his talent while he continues to improve every year.

He went to UNC, big deal.
He would have been a great player and good person if he had gone to Sister Mary's School for the Blind.

...Oh, and a bunch of drunk, no knowledge Knicks fans...acting like the media lemmings... with a combined IQ that wouldn't reach Tyler H's jersey number...now that's what's really funny :)

RelativeWays
06-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Beaker certainly irritated the life out of me while he was at UNC (as did Danny Green) and I might smirk a bit if Dwight Howard dunks on him. That said, he doesn't play for UNC anymore and I hope he has a solid NBA career. Wishing for his failure at this point seems petty and us Duke fans have bigger problems to worry about than Beaker's NBA career. Good luck to him and all ACC players drafted last night. I hope they represent our conference well (and hopefully Tyrese Rice finds a spot on a team).

whereinthehellami
06-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm not wishing for Beaker's failure but I don't see his game working in the NBA. He might make a career out of being a scrub but I don't see him being a starter. Beaker seemed to struggle against bigger and more athletic players while in college and that is the NBA. His whole inside game doesn't translate. Shooting from the hip in the NBA could lead to a facial injury of epic proportions. He's not a good creator and needs the ball delivered to him. I don't see too many NBA players that are looking to setup an "over-rated" rookie (what the uneducated think but it is what they are saying).

weezie
06-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Well, one thing's for sure. He's somebody else's problem now.

SMO
06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm not wishing for Beaker's failure but I don't see his game working in the NBA. He might make a career out of being a scrub but I don't see him being a starter. Beaker seemed to struggle against bigger and more athletic players while in college and that is the NBA. His whole inside game doesn't translate. Shooting from the hip in the NBA could lead to a facial injury of epic proportions. He's not a good creator and needs the ball delivered to him. I don't see too many NBA players that are looking to setup an "over-rated" rookie (what the uneducated think but it is what they are saying).

So G went where everyone thought he would an I liked his father's comment that he isn't near his ceiling yet. That seems like a fair statement.

I loved Bilas' comment on Hans that no one in the NBA is going to want to play against him. A bit of an overstatement maybe??? You probably can't reasonably say that about more than 2-3 guys in this entire draft.

Diclaimer: I really like Jay Bilas.

CLT Devil
06-26-2009, 09:07 AM

I didn't think Boozer would be a good pro.....you never know.

I wonder how hard it was for all those Tarholes; Jordan, L. Brown, Felton, Phil Ford, etc to draft a Dukie. Nice. Welcome to CLT G.

SupaDave
06-26-2009, 10:04 AM

I disagree and have to go with Wheat and Jay Bilas. Tyler will be a nightmare to guard in the league. Either he's gonna get beat to death or get a lot of fouls. The Pacers like to run a little bit and there's no DOUBT in my mind that Tyler can get up and down the floor.

There's a certain few people on this board that have a lot of 'hate' for certain kinds of players b/c they believe everyone in the NBA to be super-human. I'm glad Earl Clark, Mugsey, Spud, Avery, Earl Boykins, and Shavlik didn't have any of you as advisors.

So look, the NBA is BIG on effort and Tyler gives that. He will play through energy and he will try to grab 20 rebounds in a meaningless game #64 even when the Pacers are out of a playoff run. Plus, he'll also be helping Dunleavy get some open space and if he can get that jumper consistent - he'll surely be a nightmare to guard.

If you haven't noticed, most NBA players aren't really crazy about being overly physical - Tyler is. Physicality kept Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley in the league and I like Tyler's chances.

elvis14
06-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I have to admit, I was hoping that Gerald wouldn't fall to the Bobcats. I do like the fact that Bobcat's games are on TV all the time so I'll get to see him play but I would have liked to see him go to a franchise with a little more promise or simply one that seems to know what it's doing. At the same time, he got drafted by a team that needs him and wanted him so it may work out great for G!

The "Overrated" chant for HansCheater was awesome. Glad it's not just Duke fans that see this. The first site I visited this morning was listing winners and losers. Pacers were the latter on that list. Nice.

Anyone else think the T-Wolves missed on a good opportunity by drafting multiple PG's?

6th Man
06-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I was hoping Jay Bilas would tackle Stuart Scott each time Stu managed a way to fit in the National Champion North Carolina Tarheels. He must have fit that in 30 times in the first round. Made me want to hurl. I thought that kind of talk would be censored. I mean it was still early enough that kids were awake and had to be subjected to such a thing. :eek: (This smilie reminds me of Hansburger)

ClosetHurleyFan
06-26-2009, 10:10 AM
So G went where everyone thought he would an I liked his father's comment that he isn't near his ceiling yet. That seems like a fair statement.

I loved Bilas' comment on Hans that no one in the NBA is going to want to play against him. A bit of an overstatement maybe??? You probably can't reasonably say that about more than 2-3 guys in this entire draft.

Diclaimer: I really like Jay Bilas.

I dont thin kit means that he is going to embarrass you, he is going to be a pain in the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., every pick, every box out, etc., he will make you work your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. off just like he did in the aCC. It totally translates.

MChambers
06-26-2009, 10:15 AM
The kid is a player...simple as that. And I absolutely think he will prove it on the NBA court.

Evidently Larry Bird thinks so too, and was willing to back his opinion of TH's talent with millions of dollars, so I'll stand with Bird on this one.

Wheat, I'll agree with you that Hansbrough is probably a fine kid, but I just don't see his game translating to the NBA. I think he'll be about as successful as he was against Kansas in 2008. He'll have a hard time getting his shot off, and he won't be able to guard most NBA bigs.

It's got nothing to do with rivalries, etc. If I was an NBA GM, I'd take Lawson and Ellington ahead of Hansbrough. (And I would have taken Grant Hill ahead of Laettner, had they gone in the same draft.)

Wheat/"/"/"
06-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Wheat, I'll agree with you that Hansbrough is probably a fine kid, but I just don't see his game translating to the NBA. I think he'll be about as successful as he was against Kansas in 2008. He'll have a hard time getting his shot off, and he won't be able to guard most NBA bigs.

It's got nothing to do with rivalries, etc. If I was an NBA GM, I'd take Lawson and Ellington ahead of Hansbrough. (And I would have taken Grant Hill ahead of Laettner, had they gone in the same draft.)

Apologies everyone for getting off on a TH rant this am, it was a long flight yesterday frrom Vegas.

It's certainly fair to debate TH and his future in the NBA. And I actually like the Beaker nickname, it's fun and it fits.

Looks to me like he is going to become the Bill Laimbeer of the NBA...a little in style of play, and a lot in the eyes of the fans.

Wheat/"/"/"
06-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Looks like Larry wanted him even more than I thought....

TYLER HANSBROUGH
"I'm out to prove (the critics) wrong. I think (the Pacers) are getting a hard worker that knows how to win." -- Tyler Hansbrough

"He's going to be an NBA player, and he's going to be a really successful NBA player for a long, long time." -- Roy Williams

"He's one of the hardest workers I've seen in a long time. He's dedicated to the game and he'll fit in with what we're trying to do here. He's all about winning ... From the very beginning, we were hoping he'd be there at 13. We had some opportunities to get two picks in the first round but when Tyler was there at 13, here was who we wanted all along."-- Larry Bird

Kdogg
06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
We have a kid here who's never done anything outrageous or edgy on or off the court.

Well there was that time he jumped off a frat house into a small pool of water. :)

Any way I think he will be an solid NBA contributor. At the very worst he will be a Joe Wolf, but I except his career to be more like Christian.

weezie
06-26-2009, 12:54 PM
I was hoping Jay Bilas would tackle Stuart Scott each time Stu managed a way to fit in the National Champion North Carolina Tarheels. He must have fit that in 30 times in the first round.

Yeah, could somebody send a memo to Stuey that he really should get his glasses adjusted by a professional? They are all crooked on his nose and they make him look kind of clueless.
But he's a dreadful hole-loving windbag, no doubt about it.

Billy Dat
06-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I am coming to this thread late and can't believe no one has commented on the following:

-Despite saying they wanted to resign him as recently as a few weeks ago, drafting Hansborough may mean that McRoberts doesn't get an offer from the Pacers

OR

-They resign him and the Battle for Tobacco Road, aka PF playing time, continues in Indianapolis

Something tells me Josh got a pit in his stomach watching the draft last night. Some old ghosts never go away.

whereinthehellami
06-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I disagree and have to go with Wheat and Jay Bilas. Tyler will be a nightmare to guard in the league. Either he's gonna get beat to death or get a lot of fouls. The Pacers like to run a little bit and there's no DOUBT in my mind that Tyler can get up and down the floor.

There's a certain few people on this board that have a lot of 'hate' for certain kinds of players b/c they believe everyone in the NBA to be super-human. I'm glad Earl Clark, Mugsey, Spud, Avery, Earl Boykins, and Shavlik didn't have any of you as advisors.

So look, the NBA is BIG on effort and Tyler gives that. He will play through energy and he will try to grab 20 rebounds in a meaningless game #64 even when the Pacers are out of a playoff run. Plus, he'll also be helping Dunleavy get some open space and if he can get that jumper consistent - he'll surely be a nightmare to guard.

If you haven't noticed, most NBA players aren't really crazy about being overly physical - Tyler is. Physicality kept Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley in the league and I like Tyler's chances.

We shall see. I really don't like the NBA or really watch it that much so I'm probably wrong. But a red flag goes up in my mind when I see a player struggle against other future NBA players. What position does Tyler play? In college he made his money down low. i think that is his best bet in the NBA and maybe he does make it in the paint but i don't see it. And as far as Beaker playing the 4, I don't think he has the ability to create to make it there. He seems like a tweener in the NBA to me. Stuck between the 4 and the 5. Doesn't really have the height for the 5 or the quickness for a 4. He will be a major defensive liability in the NBA at the 4 or the 5. If I'm coaching aginst him in the pros I ISO whoever he is guarding and just let them take him off the dribble. The flop won't work in the NBA.

superdave
06-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I dont think you can expect any more than a 6/7th man out of Hansborough. That's not bad. It's just the truth of the situation. He's a rugged PF who struggles to get his shot off against taller players in a league where he's not a taller player.

Dont get mad at me for pointing out where pretty much everyone knows. As for Larry Legend's GM abilities, I'll let the Pacers' record over the last 5-6 years speak for itself.

And I hate him for making a career out of running into opponents then going to the foul line for it. If the refs treated him as he should have been treated, he'd have fouled out of a lot of games and driven Roy Wiliams to jump out of the team plane or curse on tv.

Super "Touche, Bobby Bouche" Dave

UrinalCake
06-26-2009, 01:52 PM
How tall is David Stern? He appears to be a foot shorter than Rubio, who's listed at 6'4. You'd think the guy in charge of the NBA would be somewhat tall himself.

Kfanarmy
06-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Looks like Larry wanted him even more than I thought....

TYLER HANSBROUGH
"I'm out to prove (the critics) wrong. I think (the Pacers) are getting a hard worker that knows how to win." -- Tyler Hansbrough

"He's going to be an NBA player, and he's going to be a really successful NBA player for a long, long time." -- Roy Williams

"He's one of the hardest workers I've seen in a long time. He's dedicated to the game and he'll fit in with what we're trying to do here. He's all about winning ... From the very beginning, we were hoping he'd be there at 13. We had some opportunities to get two picks in the first round but when Tyler was there at 13, here was who we wanted all along."-- Larry Bird

What Teams portray in the press is often more about selling the brand than revealing the truth. The Minnesota GM spent 20 minutes later last night talking about how they could play their two rookie (Rubio and Flynn) PGs at the same time, though everyone seems to believe they probably took Flynn for trade stock or in case Rubio simply doesn't work out. We shall see, but I wouldn't take Larry Bird's words to mean Tyler Hansbrough is going to do anything but relief work for a while.

Kdogg
06-26-2009, 06:23 PM
How tall is David Stern? He appears to be a foot shorter than Rubio, who's listed at 6'4. You'd think the guy in charge of the NBA would be somewhat tall himself.

He's a lawyer not a basketball player.

theAlaskanBear
06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Someone made a comment about Stu Scotts glasses.

I hate the guy as an announcer, think he is a truely terrible sports anchor,

BUT,

he has eye problems (not just bad eyesight) and the glasses are deliberately like that shield/cover them up a bit, make them less noticable.

anything else about stu scott, feel free to pick on him.

Wheat/"/"/"
06-26-2009, 09:47 PM
What Teams portray in the press is often more about selling the brand than revealing the truth. The Minnesota GM spent 20 minutes later last night talking about how they could play their two rookie (Rubio and Flynn) PGs at the same time, though everyone seems to believe they probably took Flynn for trade stock or in case Rubio simply doesn't work out. We shall see, but I wouldn't take Larry Bird's words to mean Tyler Hansbrough is going to do anything but relief work for a while.

I expect TH to come off the bench too, but wouldn't be a bit surprised if he becomes a starter at some point relatively soon.

If Bird's statements are true, and I see no reason to doubt him, he turned down two first round picks to get TH. That's a pretty impressive statement about confidence in a players abilities coming from the organization that has to put that confidence on the line with a checkbook. We'll see how it plays out.

SupaDave and MChambers point about TH struggling to get an inside shot off against NBA post players is probably accurate. But it's not like he can't score down there, and whoever is planning on making him struggle better be focused...all game and all the time... or they will be embarrassed by the "slow" vertically challenged white dude.

But the idea that he is too small to play inside in the NBA is just not accurate. Check out the combine thread for details. That's a media myth.

Effort makes up for a lot of talent when the dirty work rolls around. And I've said all along he will be on the recieving end of some nasty ESPN hi-lights defensively too. The athleticism of many of the NBA's top big men is astounding.

Sure he will struggle defensively in some matchups. That's just the way it will be. But does anybody think the better players will be able to go on cruise control when TH is on the floor?

He will also have alot of nasty NBA moments himself when he beats a lazy player down the floor, gets a head of steam, and takes it to the rack. He's a strong kid and has a toughness about him. That will translate to the NBA, you can bet on it.

My prediction is he will surprise people with how well he shoots the 15 footer and collects everybody's elses garbage. He will get to the line too, just like in college, because people foul him.

Finally, I think the whinning that he got all the calls is, and always has been bull. He was beat on more than a Tommy Lee snare drum while in college.

mgtr
06-26-2009, 10:15 PM
There were only two real justifications for beating up on Tyler Hansbrough. One, he was at UNC. Two, he seemed to ask for it. Other than those two problems, he was a good player. And if desire counts (and it does), he was better than good.