PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Miller to Baylor

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

houstondukie
06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
He visited Duke (for the 4th time) yesterday and was formally offered by Coach K. Miller also visited Duke last Wednesday and met with Coach K but no talk of offer was made. No doubt, Elliot Williams' departure has changed things. Miller is the first player offered in the class of 2011 and he is a good one.

6'8'' 180 pounds, Miller has offers from Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Illinois, Purdue, Auburn, South Carolina, and Oregon State. He is having a terrific AAU season and will no doubt be a 5 star and top 10 player in his class when the new rankings come out at the end of the summer. North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Oklahoma and Florida are also involved and will probably offer at some point.

I really like our chances to land this kid. He grew up in Chicago but recently moved to Winston-Salem, NC. He's visited Duke's campus many times to talk with Coach K and scrimmage with the guys on campus. He came to the UNC-Duke game last year in CIS to learn about the rivalry and came away very impressed.

His uncle, who is his gaurdian and high school coach, had this to say:
"He already liked Duke and it's not secret that he likes the ACC a whole lot, among some other schools," he explained. "He loves Duke, as well as Wake Forest. But he truly has a strong interest in Duke and loves what they have going."

Keep your head up fellas. Next year will be tough, but the future is bright. Duke will be back.

Kewlswim
06-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Keep your head up fellas. Next year will be tough, but the future is bright. Duke will be back.

Hello,

I still think we can win the ACC regular season and ACC tournament. I think a Sweet 16 or even better is possible. I think we could win 30 games next year. I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

So, we've had a few bad breaks. That is life. We will have a season for the ages.

GO DUKE!

FireOgilvie
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Awesome. He sounds like he would be a great addition.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=77359&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d773 59

Greg_Newton
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
And another D-One Sports product at that... surely Mr. Clifton owes K one, no? :D

jimsumner
06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
There seems to be some belief that Miller is not finished growing. He has been compared to Chris Bosh.

I could live with that. :)

Azdukefan
06-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

GO DUKE!

I love your optimism. I wish I could be more like you.

Duke Por Vida!

Lightz
06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
He plays SF and according to scout he is going to be listed as 6'9 next time they update the rankings due to hitting another growth spurt. He's also primed to move into the top 10 for the 2011 class in the next scout rankings. He is very athletic and very good and would definitely create mismatch issues, he just needs to put on some muscle/ weight.

houstondukie
06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
He plays SF and according to scout he is going to be listed as 6'9 next time they update the rankings due to hitting another growth spurt. He's also primed to move into the top 10 for the 2011 class in the next scout rankings. He is very athletic and very good and would definitely create mismatch issues, he just needs to put on some muscle/ weight.

SF may be his NBA position, assuming he improves on his outside game, but at Duke he will be playing the hybrid PF position much like Battier, Singler, etc.

Only a rising junior, by the time he gets to college, he could be 6'10+ 230+.

Lightz
06-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I doubt he'll get to 235 as I think he only weighs like 165 right now, that's a lot of weight to put on. Hybrid forward would work for him but straight up PF probably not given his current strength.

miramar
06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I doubt he'll get to 235 as I think he only weighs like 165 right now, that's a lot of weight to put on. Hybrid forward would work for him but straight up PF probably not given his current strength.

Jerry Meyer at Rivals says he weighs 193, 6-8 with a 7-1 wingspan. A young Kevin Durant apparently:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=959521

houstondukie
06-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Interesting quote by Miller's uncle and guardian:

"They did offer during our meeting," he said. "After he played (at Duke) the first time, Coach K's players told him they had no doubt (Quincy) could fit with Duke. They told Coach K that he played better than all of the others that day. That's not to say he was better than the others - but just on that day he played better than the others. They told Coach K they were really impressed."

While on campus yesterday, he played pickup ball again with the Duke players, this time with two future Devils in Tyler Thornton and Joshua Hairston, who no doubt will be in his ear to come to Duke.

I think Miller will take his time and won't decide anytime soon, but I have to think that Duke is one of his leaders, if not THE leader.

Lightz
06-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Jerry Meyer at Rivals says he weighs 193, 6-8 with a 7-1 wingspan. A young Kevin Durant apparently:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=959521

Yeah I was incorrect about his weight, a recent scout article put him weighing at 205. I hope we can land this kid early on to start of the 2011 class right.

weezie
06-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello,

I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

GO DUKE!

Yes indeed Kewlswim! That's what I like to hear. You go man!!

gotham devil
06-26-2009, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHtwaHoAZQ8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fvideosear ch%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dquincy%2520miller%26rlz%3D1W1GG LL%5Fen%26um%3D1%26ie%3DUTF%2D8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dw v&feature=player_embedded

houstondukie
06-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Both Scout and Rivals have updated their 2011 rankings, and Quincy Miller has made a big jump in both.

Rivals #3 overall (#1 PF), 5-star
Scout #8 overall (#3 PF), 5-star

After a very impressive summer so far, it was expected that Quincy Miller would make a big jump in the rankings. I'm not sure I expected this much of a jump, but he is being compared to Kevin Durant. Hope Duke lands this kid. Jerry Meyer of Rivals thinks Duke has a very good shot and expects this to be an ACC battle.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Hello,

I still think we can win the ACC regular season and ACC tournament. I think a Sweet 16 or even better is possible. I think we could win 30 games next year. I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

So, we've had a few bad breaks. That is life. We will have a season for the ages.

GO DUKE!
You are now officially an Apprentice of Optimism! :D You are joining Turk in this year's class! :cool::cool:

airowe
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
NORTH CAROLINA HOT DOZEN HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS
1. Quincy Miller, PF, Quality Education Academy, 2011
2. Reggie Bullock, SG, Kinston, 2010 NORTH CAROLINA
3. C.J. Leslie, PF, Word of God, 2010
4. Damontre Harris, PF, Trinity Christian, 2010 SOUTH CAROLINA
5. Ian Miller, PG, United Faith, 2010 FLORIDA STATE
6. P.J. Hairston, SG, Dudley, 2011 NORTH CAROLINA
7. Marquis Rankin, PG, Vance, 2011
8. Marshall Plumlee, PF, Christ School, 2011
9. Luke Cothron, PF, Flora McDonald Academy, 2010
10. J.T. Terrell, SG, West Charlotte, 2010 WAKE FOREST
11. Melvin Tabb, PF, Enloe, 2010 WAKE FOREST
12. Peter Jurkin, C, United Faith Academy, 2012

superdave
09-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow- 7 of the 12 are not at public high schools. I know this is increasingly common in high school basketball. Is this phenomoneon growing because a private school can go to more tournaments, play across state lines and maybe even get more leniency from teachers on assignments and missing class?

Bluedog
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Wow- 7 of the 12 are not at public high schools. I know this is increasingly common in high school basketball. Is this phenomoneon growing because a private school can go to more tournaments, play across state lines and maybe even get more leniency from teachers on assignments and missing class?

Private schools are also allowed to recruit. Obviously, public schools don't do that.

Greg_Newton
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM

Also interesting is that 5 of those 7 are from NCISAA 1-A private high schools (and I'm not sure what QEA is, but I believe it is another very small school that is just not a member of the NCISAA). The cutoff for that size classification is around 30-35 students per class. The only semi-traditional big "powerhouse" private school on that list is Christ School.

It's a very different model than even the more traditional powers like Ravenscroft, Greensboro Day, Charlotte Latin, etc, who maintain a solid depth of talent each year largely through the size of their school and their reputation, rather than solely relying on aggressive recruiting. I'm sure it's good for elite recruits, but I don't know how great it is for HS basketball in general. For example, according to NCISAA.org, #4 seed and eventual 1-A state champ United Faith beat the #13 seed by 65 points in the state tournament. I don't know, I just hate to say a mockery being made of the kids that are just playing for the school the grew up in (be it public or private), because that's what makes HS basketball special. The "factories" should have a different classification at least, IMO.

[/Rant]

tallguy
09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
It's a very different model than even the more traditional powers like Ravenscroft, Greensboro Day, Charlotte Latin, etc, who maintain a solid depth of talent each year largely through the size of their school and their reputation, rather than solely relying on aggressive recruiting. I'm sure it's good for elite recruits, but I don't know how great it is for HS basketball in general. For example, according to NCISAA.org, #4 seed and eventual 1-A state champ United Faith beat the #13 seed by 65 points in the state tournament. I don't know, I just hate to say a mockery being made of the kids that are just playing for the school the grew up in (be it public or private), because that's what makes HS basketball special. The "factories" should have a different classification at least, IMO.

[/Rant]

It all started when they let in Word of God...the 1A classification has gone downhill ever since. Not that Word of God is a bad school (I actually respect Kevin Washington a lot), but the tradition small private schools that might see a D1 player once in their entire history shouldn't be forced to compete against what are essentially elite AAU teams in all but name. I played at a 2A school, but about half of our non-conference schedule was made up of 1A schools due to location and geography. It's very disconcerting to play against a team that calls its plays out in German, or you seeing the star player you hated/respected from last year riding the bench his senior year because a new coach brought in an entire AAU team...my senior year, a long standing school actually in part due to their "deal with the devil" for basketball that year.

Oriole Way
11-16-2009, 12:54 AM
According to his Twitter, Quincy Miller will be in attendance at tonight's game in Cameron.

Miller seems to really like Duke, and he looks like an elite NBA-caliber talent. I hope the staff pushes hard for an early commitment, especially since I have little doubt Roy Williams will start pursuing Miller once Davis and/or Henson turn pro early.

It would be nice if the Crazies went all out again tonight for Quincy as they did for Irving and Barnes.

QM highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5poHO_pFdE

BlueintheFace
11-16-2009, 01:06 AM
According to his Twitter, Quincy Miller will be in attendance at tonight's game in Cameron.

Miller seems to really like Duke, and he looks like an elite NBA-caliber talent. I hope the staff pushes hard for an early commitment, especially since I have little doubt Roy Williams will start pursuing Miller once Davis and/or Henson turn pro early.

It would be nice if the Crazies went all out again tonight for Quincy as they did for Irving and Barnes.

QM highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5poHO_pFdE

I'm not going to say that word that rhymes with rock... but I'm thinking about it...

JaMarcus Russell
11-16-2009, 01:12 AM
After what we've seen from Henson to start the season, I highly doubt that he will be leaving early. And since Miller is affiliated with D-One Sports (and Brian Clifton), he will probably be less likely to look at UNC then most kids in North Carolina. It seems like Kentucky will be one of the main rivals going up against Duke for his signature, but I can only wonder if he really wants to play in the shadow of Michael Gilchrist in his first year.

Hopefully Quincy will be a Blue Devil by this time, next year.

NYDukie
11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
2000 posts to go...let's enjoy this but not get too caught up...fingers crossed

mgtr
11-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm not going to say that word that rhymes with rock... but I'm thinking about it...

Are you trying to say that he is a sock? He probably is a jock, but probably not a clock. Most of the rest I will just leave alone.

UrinalCake
11-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Hopefully Quincy will be a Blue Devil by this time, next year.

Isn't he in the class of 2011? Or do you mean you hope he signs by this time next year?

JaMarcus Russell
11-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Yep, hopefully he will sign in the early period next year. It would be great to get a marquee player in a position of need as early as possible.

superdave
11-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Is Gilchrist considered a Kentucky lean or is he holding his recruitment close the vest? Sorry to use two fantastic buzzwords, but it was too tempting. I have read that Gilcrhist is potentially even better than HB.

Who is a good comparison for QM? Is he really a 3/4 tweener like Deng was?

Anyone seen him play (other than YouTube?)

Edouble
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Who is a good comparison for QM? Is he really a 3/4 tweener like Deng was?

Anyone seen him play (other than YouTube?)

He says in a YouTube interview that he models his game after Kevin Durant. I don't know if that means that he plays like Kevin Durant, but maybe he is some sort of slightly shorter, hybrid Kevin Durant. He says he is definitely a forward though. He looks really skinny. I don't think he has the size of a 4, but he has more skills than a 4, so he is probably some sort of 3/4 tweener.

JaMarcus Russell
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Gilchrist is considered such a UK lock that Villanova is the only other school in the country that is even bothering to recruit him.

superdave
11-16-2009, 12:04 PM
But still relevant:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=967499

airowe
11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Nevermind on the Quincy Miller at the game tonight:

http://twitter.com/qmillertime

BlueintheFace
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM

So he's announcing for Carolina tonight I guess...

airowe
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
So he's announcing for Carolina tonight I guess...

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Commentary/Chicken_Little/Chicken_Little.jpg

Azdukefan
11-16-2009, 01:56 PM

How would you not already know you have a game tonight? I am not saying, I am just saying.

DukeSince'77
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Are we all fallin' for this "new" technology stuff hook, line and sinker?? If it's on tweeter, it has to be true??? Please tell me there is a better explanation...

rotogod00
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
How would you not already know you have a game tonight? I am not saying, I am just saying.

my thoughts exactly

Azdukefan
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Are we all fallin' for this "new" technology stuff hook, line and sinker?? If it's on tweeter, it has to be true??? Please tell me there is a better explanation...

Well if it is truly his account, I am sure he knows what he is tweeting. Not sure I truly understand your response. This new technology stuff has made an impact in every aspect of college recruiting.

jesus_hurley
11-16-2009, 02:16 PM

He has an inter-squad scrimmage tonight and a game tomorrow. When it comes directly from the recruit why would you consider it untrue? Because it's not coming from a newsworthy source like zags? For the record, here is his twitter page:

Not that people can't claim to be someone else but in the case of high profile college basketball recruits, all of whom have the major scouting services also following them on twitter, why would you question the authenticity?

DukeSince'77
11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm just saying....he tweets he's coming for the game - everyone gets stoked, then he tweets oh, can't come I've got a game tonight.

DukeSince'77
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm good - it's an intrasquad game. Understood. Just disappointed.

Acymetric
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm just saying....he tweets he's coming for the game - everyone gets stoked, then he tweets oh, can't come I've got a game tonight.

He later added it was a scrimmage type, maybe the coach called it last minute, or it just slipped his mind. I've got a few years on the kid and I've forgotten about 10 things I had to do way more important than go to a ball game in the past week! If I was dealing with getting recruited as a top tier recruit I would probably have to hire an assistant to follow me around if I wanted to avoid stuff like this...it happens. Relax.

oldnavy
11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
He later added it was a scrimmage type, maybe the coach called it last minute, or it just slipped his mind. I've got a few years on the kid and I've forgotten about 10 things I had to do way more important than go to a ball game in the past week! If I was dealing with getting recruited as a top tier recruit I would probably have to hire an assistant to follow me around if I wanted to avoid stuff like this...it happens. Relax.

Darn, logged on and forgot what I wanted to say...

Blueequalslife23
11-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Found this on Quincys Twitter.. take anything from this ?

@travismckie o yea and don't ever spell Duke wrong my man..we will best wake forest a**

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Well he did say WE.

Blueequalslife23
11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Liking it. Also like how he had a triple double tonight. And if i'm not mistaken.... i heard his favorites are Wake and Duke? hmmmm......

FireOgilvie
11-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Liking it. Also like how he had a triple double tonight. And if i'm not mistaken.... i heard his favorites are Wake and Duke? hmmmm......

Awesome. Do you know his totals? Was it points, rebounds, assists?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Most likely

Blueequalslife23
11-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Points, Rebounds and BLOCKS!! :)

airowe
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM

17, 20, and 12 respectively. Kid is a monster and he loves Duke.

FireOgilvie
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Wow. I thought that might be the case. He's a great shot-blocker; he has very long arms. I don't even know the last Duke player that has a game/size/athleticism like he does. Roscoe Smith is actually similar to Quincy.

Thanks for the totals, airowe. That's impressive.

Blueequalslife23
11-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Wow. I thought that might be the case. He's a great shot-blocker; he has very long arms. I don't even know the last Duke player that has a game/size/athleticism like he does. Roscoe Smith is actually similar to Quincy.

Thanks for the totals, airowe. That's impressive.

The Durant comparison is jinxed. ( Henson) But he sure is an athlete. See him as a Rashard Lewis type player.

Oriole Way
11-18-2009, 03:11 AM
The Durant comparison is jinxed. ( Henson) But he sure is an athlete. See him as a Rashard Lewis type player.

You see Henson as a Rashard Lewis-type, or Miller?

Honestly, I think neither one is too much like Lewis. At least Lewis the way he plays in the NBA. I assume Lewis worked a lot more in the paint in high school than he does now, but neither Henson or Miller look to ever have the kind of long shooting range that Lewis does. I also expect both Miller and Henson to operate much more in the post/inside the 3-pt line in the NBA than Lewis does.

For NBA comps for Miller, I see a little bit of a little bit of a young Kevin Garnett.

I would agree that Henson isn't very much like Durant either. There's a little bit of Durant's pull-up game in Quincy, though.

NYC Duke Fan
11-18-2009, 03:15 AM
After the diasappointment with Barnes, I am no longer getting excited about a player saying he is a big Duke fan or get excited when any basketball, " guru", says that Duke is so and so 's top choice.

He is only a junior in high school...many, many, things can happen.

Oriole Way
11-18-2009, 03:21 AM
After the diasappointment with Barnes, I am no longer getting excited about a player saying he is a big Duke fan or get excited when any basketball, " guru", says that Duke is so and so 's top choice.

He is only a junior in high school...many, many, things can happen.

I agree, but I think it's important to put the full court press on Miller and get him to commit as early as possible. His interest seems real, so I hope the staff makes him a priority.

oldnavy
11-18-2009, 07:56 AM
17, 20, and 12 respectively. Kid is a monster and he loves Duke.

How do we know that he loves Duke? Is he a Duke fan or does he love Duke in the sense he is a kid that would love to play for Duke and be a part of the program?

To me there is a difference. Let me try to explain, if he is a Duke "fan" and has a chance to come to Duke (as a top recruit and play), then it would be a done deal (IMO). If he is a player that "loves Duke" in the sense that he respects the program but is not necessarily a fan, then we might have to battle some others for his service as he looks for the best fit.

Does that make any sense?? :confused:

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 08:26 AM
How do we know that he loves Duke? Is he a Duke fan or does he love Duke in the sense he is a kid that would love to play for Duke and be a part of the program?

To me there is a difference. Let me try to explain, if he is a Duke "fan" and has a chance to come to Duke (as a top recruit and play), then it would be a done deal (IMO). If he is a player that "loves Duke" in the sense that he respects the program but is not necessarily a fan, then we might have to battle some others for his service as he looks for the best fit.

Does that make any sense?? :confused:

I had to learn this the hard way. (HB)

Devilsfan
11-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes and the parasite down the block hasn't gotten in his recruitment yet.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 08:43 AM

Don't Jinx it my friend, please Don't Jinx it.

NYC Duke Fan
11-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree, but I think it's important to put the full court press on Miller and get him to commit as early as possible. His interest seems real, so I hope the staff makes him a priority.

You aren't wrong. I know that UNC , Texas and I think Ohio State have gotten a committment from a junior, but I don't remember, ( could be a senior moment ), aside from Demarcus Nelson any committed Junior. Marshall Plumlee is a junior and I doubt that he will commit until his senior year to a school , ( hopefully to Duke ).

Class of '94
11-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Don't Jinx it my friend, please Don't Jinx it.

Why are some people conceding to the idea that Roy is a better recruiter than Coach K?? I know this a Quincy Miller thread so I will keep my message short and relate it back to Quincy.

Yes, I get it that it still hurts that HB chose Carolina over us. But despite what some analysts and people are saying, I refuse to ever believe that Ol Roy is a better recruiter than Coach K as well as the best recruiter in college basketball. Roy wanted Singler really bad, and he lost out to us on him. He wanted Gerald really badly; and he lost to us with Gerald. Sure, he beat us for the services of Wright and HB; but look how Wright has turned out. He left after one year and UNC didn't win a championship; and Wright has yet to do anything in the NBA. As far as HB is concerned, time will only tell. And as he admitted in a recent article, it took one Hell of an effort (effort being Michael Jordan) to get Barnes away from us. In fact, he recruited HB harder than any other recruit in his time as a coach. Call me delusional, but I choose to believe that Roy needed HB worse then we did because he knows the talent momentum is beginning to swing back our way; and when you look at the fact that he's pretty limited on scholarships for the next year or so, Roy needed Barnes to keep up with us.

We are in a great position to land Miller and Rivers, just to name a few. And based on the way our Duke team has played so far, I think we are going to sweep Carolina this year, win the ACC and be in strong contention for the final 4; and the '10 and '11 teams will continue to build on this year's team success.

The futurre is bright and I am excited to be a Dukie!!! It's all about us winning on the court; and as we can continue to do more of that, we will get all the recruits that we want. Bring on Roy, HB, Mcadoo and whoever else.....I look forward to our Duke team kicking their a&& and making recruits regret not choosing Duke over the light-blue dark side.

airowe
11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
To the poster who asked how we know that Quincy Miller is a Duke fan, I'll direct you to his Twitter and Facebook. I'm sure someone can provide a link.

Blueequalslife23
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Every year it's diffrent with Roy and K. They are BOTH excellent recruiters. At the end of the day some prospects DO look how they are i nthe middle of a Dynasty. That's just how it is. BUT Quincy seems smart enough to know that K wants him. And DUKE needs him x1839382929 more Than North Carolina does.

NSDukeFan
11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Every year it's diffrent with Roy and K. They are BOTH excellent recruiters. At the end of the day some prospects DO look how they are i nthe middle of a Dynasty. That's just how it is. BUT Quincy seems smart enough to know that K wants him. And DUKE needs him x1839382929 more Than North Carolina does.

Duke does not need anybody 1839382929 times more than North Carolina, including HWSNBN.

Reddevil
11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
It's not like K and Roy are selling the same car with the same appointments. There are differences between Duke and UNC, and all universities and programs. I highly doubt one is a better recruiter than the other. Maybe, just maybe, the recruits make their own decisions. Maybe they choose based on fit, model, and finish all by themselves. Sure the coaches make great pitches and have some influence, but once the short list is made I'll bet the recruits consciously or not, develop their own pros and cons list, and decide what feels right. Roy didn't swoop in, and get Barnes. Barnes decided to go to chappel hill. Hopefully, Quincy Miller will choose Duke. I think too much is made of the sales job. Ultimately, we make our own choices. These kids aren't drones. Recruiting is overanalyzed sometimes.

m g
11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
You aren't wrong. I know that UNC , Texas and I think Ohio State have gotten a committment from a junior, but I don't remember, ( could be a senior moment ), aside from Demarcus Nelson any committed Junior. Marshall Plumlee is a junior and I doubt that he will commit until his senior year to a school , ( hopefully to Duke ).

Andre Dawkins, Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston, to name three.

El_Diablo
11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Just in the 2010 recruiting class...Hairston, Thornton, and Andre Dawkins all committed before or during their junior year of high school.

jesus_hurley
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM

And at this point in time can't. Miller is a 2011 recruit. UNC-CH is already one scholarship over for their 2011 team. So as of right now all Ol' Roy can do is stay in touch in case a spot opens up this year or next year. If Miller wants to make a decision before his senior year starts both Davis and Henson would need to leave early this year. And right now that'd be a surprise.

Huh?
11-18-2009, 01:06 PM
It's not like K and Roy are selling the same car with the same appointments. There are differences between Duke and UNC, and all universities and programs. I highly doubt one is a better recruiter than the other. Maybe, just maybe, the recruits make their own decisions. Maybe they choose based on fit, model, and finish all by themselves. Sure the coaches make great pitches and have some influence, but once the short list is made I'll bet the recruits consciously or not, develop their own pros and cons list, and decide what feels right. Roy didn't swoop in, and get Barnes. Barnes decided to go to chappel hill. Hopefully, Quincy Miller will choose Duke. I think too much is made of the sales job. Ultimately, we make our own choices. These kids aren't drones. Recruiting is overanalyzed sometimes.

Since Duke offers EVERYTHING Barnksdjfsjdf allegedly wanted in a school then why did he choose UNC over Duke?

NSDukeFan
11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Since Duke offers EVERYTHING Barnksdjfsjdf allegedly wanted in a school then why did he choose UNC over Duke?

A school down the road also offered EVERYTHING HWSNBN wanted in a school as well? There may actually have been 4-6 schools that offered him what he wanted and perhaps as Reddevil eloquently put it, he made a choice that worked well for him.

Indoor66
11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Happiness is wanting what you have, not necessarily having what you want.

G man
11-18-2009, 03:23 PM

I love this I am going to refer to old roy as coach parasite!

jv001
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I love this I am going to refer to old roy as coach parasite!

The ole parasite coach down the road? That has a good ring to it. It beats huckleberry hound. Go Duke!

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Why are some people conceding to the idea that Roy is a better recruiter than Coach K??

I am one of those people. I know our great 05 class didn't really work out. But it seems as if Ol' Roy is getting anyone he wants right now.

oldnavy
11-18-2009, 04:11 PM
To the poster who asked how we know that Quincy Miller is a Duke fan, I'll direct you to his Twitter and Facebook. I'm sure someone can provide a link.

Airowe, that would be me. I don't ask it as in I doubt it, I was just wondering how we know. What has he said or done to let us know. And I want to know if is he a Duke fan, like I am a Duke fan... fanatical, and obnoxious? If so, then there is no way he goes anywhere else, because if I could play for DUKE it would be a dream come true!!

PS. I would like a link if it is available, if not I can surf it out.

should_be_working
11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Twitter link: http://twitter.com/qmillertime

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Twitter link: http://twitter.com/qmillertime

Thanks, i can't believe he just turned 16

airowe
11-18-2009, 04:49 PM
His tweets speak for themselves. I don't go on Facebook much, but someone posted some of his pics on TDD. He has an entire photo album dedicated to Duke and has pics of him in Duke gear smiling with K, Gerald, I think Wojo, and of him on Cameron's floor simply posing and smiling. I don't even have one of those!

In one of his pics, a Carolina fan said he should go play for Roy Williams. A Duke fan responded, well Roy doesn't have any Olympic Gold Medals. Quincy responded something to the effect of, "He sure doesn't, haha. "

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 04:53 PM
His tweets speak for themselves. I don't go on Facebook much, but someone posted some of his pics on TDD. He has an entire photo album dedicated to Duke and has pics of him in Duke gear smiling with K, Gerald, I think Wojo, and of him on Cameron's floor simply posing and smiling. I don't even have one of those!

In one of his pics, a Carolina fan said he should go play for Roy Williams. A Duke fan responded, well Roy doesn't have any Olympic Gold Medals. Quincy responded something to the effect of, "He sure doesn't, haha. "

wooooooooow i just hope it pan's out for the best.

MarkD83
11-18-2009, 07:44 PM

I told myself that once the season started I would not post about recruiting, but I have to whole-heartedly support your statement. Nothing about Barnes recruitment indicated that his decision was impetuous. If the decision was based on "selling", Barnes would have been a Tar Heel in August after his OV.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I BROKE THIS PROMISE TO MYSELF. MODS HELP ME REGAIN MY DIGNITY BY DELETING THIS POST. (Caps are for my own benefit.)

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I told myself that once the season started I would not post about recruiting, but I have to whole-heartedly support your statement. Nothing about Barnes recruitment indicated that his decision was impetuous. If the decision was based on "selling", Barnes would have been a Tar Heel in August after his OV.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I BROKE THIS PROMISE TO MYSELF. MODS HELP ME REGAIN MY DIGNITY BY DELETING THIS POST. (Caps are for my own benefit.)

To late i've read it your scared for life.

FireOgilvie
11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Quincy turned 16 today... he's young for a junior in high school. Happy birthday, Quincy!

mailman2927
11-18-2009, 08:15 PM
let's not get too crazy thinking roy gets whoever he wants. off the top of my head i can think of a few he wanted bad and didn't get, for example

singler
kevin love
delvon roe
john wall

i'm sure there are others

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 08:20 PM
let's not get too crazy thinking roy gets whoever he wants. off the top of my head i can think of a few he wanted bad and didn't get, for example

singler
kevin love
delvon roe
john wall

Scratch off John Wall, he didn't really recruit him.

airowe
11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
He might not have recruited him to Carolina but he negatively recruited him away from Duke.

SupaDave
11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Scratch off John Wall, he didn't really recruit him.

lmao!!!! This is hilarious to me. dfb - I think you're a closet Carolina fan. :)

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 09:56 PM
lmao!!!! This is hilarious to me. dfb - I think you're a closet Carolina fan. :)

hahaha them is fighting words :mad:

SupaDave
11-18-2009, 10:10 PM
hahaha them is fighting words :mad:

Are you taking up for Roy on the board? :) But seriously, I'm more than willing to give Roy his props. He puts in WORK. AND - he trys to do it the right way - the Dean way. As high flying as UNC could be there's still not too much showboating and it's most definitely frowned upon. I'm sure that turned Roy off on John Wall as much as his baggage.

Besides, would it be as fun if Matt Doherty was still getting big recruits? He did get a few you know very well - so you guys should understand that UNC is gonna get BIG TIME recruits no matter what. It's just the way it is. Honestly, if there's no UNC there's no Duke - it really does work that way. No one really remembers the blow-outs but the close games? Oh there's so many...

In the meantime, Mr. Miller has none of the baggage and most definitely appears to be excited about Duke. Let's sit back and enjoy the ride. The last year has been fabulous in my eyes and we scored 101 last night. This year is gonna be a good one to watch - for us and Quincy - just look at who he may get to play with.

BlueintheFace
11-18-2009, 10:16 PM

I have my suspicions too ;)

JaMarcus Russell
11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
In case anyone is interested, Travis McKie is the number 50 recruit for 2010. He plays for Boo Williams's AAU team which is the same club team for Andre Dawkins and UNC's 2011 commitment James McAdoo (they must have a hell of a team). Anyways, he wrote a comment on his Twitter about how Miller has more followers on Twitter than himself and said it was due to Duke fans. However, he intentionally used a very common misspelling that Duke haters like to use.

Here's Quincy's reply (looks he wrote it first thing in the morning so there are some typos, but you will get the idea):
o yea and don't ever spell Duke wrong my man..we will best wake forest.

I am sure you can figure out the next word, but it's filtered out on this site.

I won't take too much from it, but it sounds like he's a Duke fan to me:D

El_Diablo
11-19-2009, 12:23 AM
I am sure you can figure out the next word, but it's filtered out on this site.

Is it the same word used here? ;)

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=332153&postcount=45

oldnavy
11-19-2009, 07:22 AM

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. He is a fan in the truest sense of the word!! Now he can take the next step that few get to take and become a part of the family by signing a LOI. Sweet!

phillyheel
11-19-2009, 09:48 AM

singler
kevin love
delvon roe
john wall

Remove Wall and add:

Greg Paulus
Spencer Hawes
Jrue Holliday
Samardo Samuels
Al-Farouq Aminu
Ryan Kelly

juise
11-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Out of curiousity, I looked at the Twitter exchange and noticed that McKie (who is quite a prolific Tweeter) sent an irritated tweet to Kendall Marshall, who apparently "unfollowed" McKie. McKie was recruited by UNC, but never got an offer. I guess once you're in the UNC family, everyone else gets kicked to curb. ;)

Back to Miller... I noticed a tweet from Tuesday night that he recorded his first triple double (17pts, 20rebs, 12blks). Congrats to Quincy... that's a monster line. Too bad he had to be in Charlotte to play that night instead of watching Duke destroy Charlotte in Cameron.

In other news, while Googling his name to confirm that stat line (didn't turn up anything), I saw that his team lost to Christ School (Plumlee's alma mater) earlier this month. Quincy lead his team in scoring with 26, but I noticed that Marshall was not listed among Christ school's top 5 scorers.

HCheek37
11-20-2009, 10:33 PM
hmmmm, in perusing Quincy's twitter page, he had a new "mantra" which looked alot like Kyrie Irving's H&H. (humble and honest).

He simply tweeted G&H and said later that it meant Greedy and Humble.

Just thought I'd add this piece of info.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-20-2009, 10:44 PM
hmmmm, in perusing Quincy's twitter page, he had a new "mantra" which looked alot like Kyrie Irving's H&H. (humble and honest).

Hopefully he wants to follow in his school choice as well.

Kedsy
11-20-2009, 11:42 PM

I think Kyrie's actually stands for "hungry and humble."

HCheek37
11-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Quincy's newest "tweet" says,

"Wow...NC vs Syracuse haha"

Which hopefully if I'm not over analyzing is a laugh at the Tar Heels..:D

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 04:58 PM
After HB i really hated when people said we were the leaders, but this one seems like QM is saying it himself. So when is he going to commit?

SupaDave
11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
What I like most about his tweets? He's gonna bring some serious swagger whereever he goes...

BD80
11-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Quincy deserves to stay at the top of the boards. He would (will) bring a physicality that can alter games.

airowe
11-23-2009, 05:17 PM
YoungTruth video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5poHO_pFdE

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
YoungTruth video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5poHO_pFdE

Is he the fourth Plumlee brother? Because this guy loves to dunk the ball!

soccerstud2210
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
this kid is sick. period. this would be a great get!

chrisheery
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
@kyrieirving wassup bro

Can't be a bad thing either. Wish he would just go ahead and commit. It would be a bummer if he pulled a HB on us.

ScreechTDX1847
11-23-2009, 11:21 PM
@kyrieirving nm chilling these cats out here..thanx for the bday wishes bro..ready for Duke? Lol

Nice. Kyrie stayin on top of recruiting.

cwaugh
11-24-2009, 02:15 AM
@kyrieirving nm chilling these cats out here..thanx for the bday wishes bro..ready for Duke? Lol

Nice. Kyrie stayin on top of recruiting.

That is Quincy's message to Kyrie lol not the other way around

speedevil2001
11-24-2009, 03:06 AM
@kyrieirving wassup bro

Can't be a bad thing either. Wish he would just go ahead and commit. It would be a bummer if he pulled a HB on us.

yeah, i would like him to commit early too. i would like for duke to get realy commits in general.

i hate the way unc gets recruits to commit early..2011 they already have two studs

ScreechTDX1847
11-24-2009, 07:27 AM
That is Quincy's message to Kyrie lol not the other way around

I guess I'm not very twitter saavy.:p

oldnavy
11-24-2009, 07:30 AM
I refuse to get sucked in to another recruiting thread, it is too painful!!

Anybody heard anything new??? :o

yancem
11-24-2009, 09:17 AM
yeah, i would like him to commit early too. i would like for duke to get realy commits in general.

i hate the way unc gets recruits to commit early..2011 they already have two studs

I agree that it is nice to sign recruits early and I certainly would love to get Miller on board sooner rather than later but early recruits can backfire also. Some kids blossom and peak early which means a guy you sign as a junior thinking he will be a stud turns into a roll player and now you have used that scholarship and you don't have room for later bloomer like MP2 or Irving. I have read some people say that both Stickland and Marshall fit the early bloomer category and that while they were highly ranked as underclassmen, their ranks dropped some as other guys came into their own.

The other problem with signing guys too early is you can run into situations like Taylor King or (hopefully) Austin Rivers where they change their minds because they decided too early.

Like I said, I would very much like to get Miller (and Rivers for that matter) on board as soon as possible, but just because unc seems to be signing all of their recruits early doesn't mean they will end up being the best recruits later.

RoyalBlue08
11-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I can't believe I am following what high school kids say on twitter, but it is what it is I guess.

Kyrie's response when asked if he is ready for Duke next year:

kyrieirving

@qmillertime lol yea I'm ready the question is are you

And then Miller's response:

qmillertime

@kyrieirving haha I'm always ready bro..it's coming! ;)

This has got to be a good sign, no?

05/18/2005
11-24-2009, 05:55 PM
I can't believe I am following what high school kids say on twitter, but it is what it is I guess.

Kyrie's response when asked if he is ready for Duke next year:

kyrieirving

@qmillertime lol yea I'm ready the question is are you

And then Miller's response:

qmillertime

@kyrieirving haha I'm always ready bro..it's coming! ;)

This has got to be a good sign, no?

Gotta like that kyrie. I Like his questions

HCheek37
11-25-2009, 12:40 AM
ah man i cant read that without being more confident than i was moments ago. hopefully its serious

-bdbd
11-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I agree that it is nice to sign recruits early and I certainly would love to get Miller on board sooner rather than later but early recruits can backfire also. Some kids blossom and peak early which means a guy you sign as a junior thinking he will be a stud turns into a roll player and now you have used that scholarship and you don't have room for later bloomer like MP2 or Irving. I have read some people say that both Stickland and Marshall fit the early bloomer category and that while they were highly ranked as underclassmen, their ranks dropped some as other guys came into their own.

The other problem with signing guys too early is you can run into situations like Taylor King or (hopefully) Austin Rivers where they change their minds because they decided too early.

Like I said, I would very much like to get Miller (and Rivers for that matter) on board as soon as possible, but just because unc seems to be signing all of their recruits early doesn't mean they will end up being the best recruits later.

And the evaluations of these kids get more accurate as they get more exposure, as some may rise and some may fall (for better OR WORSE). Think about the twin bigs in Chapel Hell (Wear brothers). Ole Huck got their commitments way early - like start of Junior year of HS sorta thing - when they were top-15-20 in their class. But as time went on they faded a little and wound up, by most accounts, in the 30's somewhere. In the meantime Roy passed on Mason Plumlee (who ultimately came to be ranked in the 10 -15 range in his class). Yes, there certainly is such a thing as getting commitments too early!

:cool:

HCheek37
11-28-2009, 01:35 AM
looks like the best info or more interesting stuff is coming from Quincy Miller's Twitter account...

# 1
@kyrieirving yo do u think I can come to ST.pats or is that not possible? 10:20 PM Nov 26th from Echofon in reply to kyrieirving

Interesting comment here joking about playing with Kyrie in HS..

Loving Illinois now..the fans are showing me mad love! Good school..they are not out the question ;) about 7 hours ago from Echofon

Visiting Illinois currently and having some fun but...

Those damn devils haha up by 16..my boy dawkins is getting buckets! about 7 hours ago from Echofon

Keeping an eye on Duke even while up in Illinois. Hopefully 'damn devils' isn't an anti-duke sentiment haha

Jeez I love analyzing a HS student's twitter....i guess its what the world is coming to...:rolleyes:

Indoor66
11-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Jeez I love analyzing a HS student's twitter....i guess its what the world is coming to...:rolleyes:

Not my world. Too much meaningless information.

oldnavy
11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Not my world. Too much meaningless information.

Agree, but he is a Duke FAN, and so we should not be too surprised that he is following those damned devils!!

This brings up a question... have we ever lost on a recruit that was a confirmed Duke "Fan" and that we offered??

Blueequalslife23
11-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Is this kid a 3 or a 4? I've heard he has a bounce like a 3. And standing at 6'8 that's where Singler and Robinson were last night at the 3. But when you see his twitter he's getting 10 blocks a game it seems like... anybody?

Blueequalslife23
11-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Agree, but he is a Duke FAN, and so we should not be too surprised that he is following those damned devils!!

This brings up a question... have we ever lost on a recruit that was a confirmed Duke "Fan" and that we offered??

Haha... Marcus Ginyard.. but yet again we never wanted him. :)

Indoor66
11-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Is this kid a 3 or a 4? I've heard he has a bounce like a 3. And standing at 6'8 that's where Singler and Robinson were last night at the 3. But when you see his twitter he's getting 10 blocks a game it seems like... anybody?

What difference does it make? :confused:

MChambers
11-28-2009, 12:21 PM
What difference does it make? :confused:

What position was Grant Hill? 3? 4? 1? Sounds like Miller is a versatile player.

BD80
11-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Is this kid a 3 or a 4? ...

He will be the starting BEAST!

Think of a longer Nate James. You gonna tell him what he is or isn't?

With Q and Kyrie on the floor, there would be NO question of whether Duke was athletic.

Can you imagine how good of a weak side defender he could be at Duke? Shots would be blocked, I tell you.

On offense, so much would be dictated by match-ups, but with Kyrie and a bevy of heady marksmen on the perimeter, Q could post up without a double team or get unlimited open 10-12 jumpers.

I hope Q is enjoying this year's success, picturing how well he would fit in.

airowe
11-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Miller has actually grown to 6'10" and yes he is very versatile. He has a solid handle already and can shoot the 3 ball but is capable down low both offensively and defensively. He is originally from Illinois and still has family there so that probably explains why he is visiting there now.

soccerstud2210
11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
@qmillertime

Just found out that I'm headed to the UK on Friday and watching the game sat.

looks like he is headin to UK. bleh!

jimsumner
11-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Maybe he's going to the United Kingdom. :)

ChicagoCrazy84
11-28-2009, 11:47 PM
@qmillertime

Just found out that I'm headed to the UK on Friday and watching the game sat.

looks like he is headin to UK. bleh!

Maybe he is going as a regular basketball fan. He said he just found out. Do potential recruits just find out about visits?

verga
11-29-2009, 12:05 AM
they do indeed, especially when they have handlers (coaches) who have an agenda. i'm not saying this is the case but the coach (handler) has a history of guiding his players to certain destanations. It doesn't always work but he can try.

JaMarcus Russell
11-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I think that Clifton is less involved with Miller than Wall, but he wasn't exactly the guy leading Wall to Kentucky if we are to believe Gary Parrish and some of the other national guys who cover recruiting.

BlueintheFace
12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
From Quincy's Tweet:

Coach K just told me someone sent him a prank email from me and said I was comitting from MY EMAIL ADDRESS

ChicagoCrazy84
12-04-2009, 01:02 AM
From Quincy's Tweet:

Coach K just told me someone sent him a prank email from me and said I was comitting from MY EMAIL ADDRESS

That's pretty funny. What high level recruit would commit via email? I am guessing none.

Bluedevil114
12-04-2009, 06:24 AM
I think that Clifton is less involved with Miller than Wall, but he wasn't exactly the guy leading Wall to Kentucky if we are to believe Gary Parrish and some of the other national guys who cover recruiting.

I know Clifton and he told me how impressed he was with Coach K after their meeting and he did not know after that meeting where Wall was leaning. He told me Wall made his decision later based on how strong the relationship he had with Calipari.

dukelifer
12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
That's pretty funny. What high level recruit would commit via email? I am guessing none.

True- they would just update their facebook status.

Indoor66
12-04-2009, 09:11 AM
True- they would just update their facebook status.

Or use Skype.

soccerstud2210
12-06-2009, 02:30 PM
@qmillertime

Just left UK and all I can say is WOW!!

HCheek37
12-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Yo peeps; calm down!! I did not commit anywhere yet!! - 3:20 Eastern today

Just left UK and all I can say is WOW!! - an hour ago

What about those Cats? Haha hanging with J.wall right now! He got off..thanx to Carolina! Kentucky! ;) - 22 hours ago

Just got to Kentucky! Gametime soon..let's get money cats - yesterday morning before the game

:eek:

natedog4ever
12-06-2009, 06:12 PM
let's get money cats
:eek:

Hmmm . . . what an appropriate comment.

I can remember when I got all excited about Chris Burgess completing that class. That was the first and last time I let myself do that.

Nowdays it seems like recruiting is the more entertaining part of the college game for some - kind of like how "fantasy" sports have taken over the pro sports fandom. Oh well, I guess it's the fans that dictate what is entertaining.

Duke79UNLV77
12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I was rooting for Conn based on Quincy Miller. Based on his Twitter updates, he was following the game closely and has become quite the UK fan. For similar reasons relating to Rivers, I'm hoping Fla loses soon.

Duke79UNLV77
12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=37116

Meanwhile, in Lexington, UK had one of their top targets visiting. Quincy Miller took in the UNC/UK game and I had the chance to speak with his coach, Isaac Pitts, today about that visit:

DR: Can you tell me a little bit about the visit and what Quincy was able to do?

Coach Pitts: He loved it. He liked the fans, the atmosphere that they played in, Kentucky as a whole. The coaching staff was great. He liked it. He knows John Wall and he had a chance to hang out with John and stuff like that, so he enjoyed it, he was excited.

DR: Do you know of anything that just really left an impression on Quincy?

Coach Pitts: Nationally televised game against Carolina. 25,000. That’s the wow right there. Everybody in the country watching the game, 25,000 people watching, jam-packed, standing room only, Kentucky wins. You know how Kentucky fans are. I don’t know what else you could look at, what else you could say or what else would wow him. If you’re a player, that’s the kind of atmosphere you want to play in.

DR: What’s next for Quincy?

Coach Pitts: I’m sure that’s not a one and done situation, just go to UK and that’s it and don’t visit anywhere else. I would think not. He’s going to take five (official) visits. That would be my advice but who knows? If a kid likes a place enough that they say this is where I want to go, which he hasn’t indicated that to me, so I don’t know. I would just imagine that’s the process. I know that UK, they do a good job and, like I said what is not to like, but I don’t know that so I can’t sit here and say whether he’ll take another visit or he won’t. Who knows?

Faison1
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
^^^^^

Bummer.....I hope this can be filed under concerns similar to shirt tugs and colors worn by recruits, a la Kyrie Irving........

airowe
12-10-2009, 11:21 AM
^^^^^

Bummer.....I hope this can be filed under concerns similar to shirt tugs and colors worn by recruits, a la Kyrie Irving........

Quincy's not making a decision anytime soon.

yancem
12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Quincy's not making a decision anytime soon.

I agree but a couple of months ago it looked like a commitment to Duke was eminent but now I starting to get the same vibes I got toward the end of Boynton and Monroe's recruitment and that is that Duke is high on his list more for publicity purposes than genuine interest.

I may be far off base but Miller is definitely playing the publicity game and I think that he is feeding the public what he thinks they want to hear to keep interest up. Now maybe he really likes Duke and wants to keep his recruitment going or maybe he is using Duke to garner more interest and plans on committing elsewhere but I think anyone who takes his twitter or facebook postings at face value is going to be disappointed come decision time.

airowe
12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree but a couple of months ago it looked like a commitment to Duke was eminent but now I starting to get the same vibes I got toward the end of Boynton and Monroe's recruitment and that is that Duke is high on his list more for publicity purposes than genuine interest.

I may be far off base but Miller is definitely playing the publicity game and I think that he is feeding the public what he thinks they want to hear to keep interest up. Now maybe he really likes Duke and wants to keep his recruitment going or maybe he is using Duke to garner more interest and plans on committing elsewhere but I think anyone who takes his twitter or facebook postings at face value is going to be disappointed come decision time.

I've actually heard the same argument being used for his recent attention to UK.

Only time will tell...

SupaDave
12-10-2009, 04:31 PM

The kid is playing for the #1 ranking in his class. I don't think publicity is a problem...

yancem
12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
The kid is playing for the #1 ranking in his class. I don't think publicity is a problem...

You're right it shouldn't be but in just the last few months we have watched both Irving and Barnes stretch out their recruitment at least in part to generate more buzz. I am next to positive that both had their minds made up weeks if not longer before actually making their announcements. Meanwhile thousands of fans from several schools waited on the edge of their seats for any gossip they could find. I'm not trying to denigrate them for doing this but I see little reason to open up your facebook and twitter pages to the masses if you're not trying to drum up publicity.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I've learned nothing else over the last few months, it's these kids are very media savvy and you have to take any comments by or about them with a grain of salt. I don't blame them, it simply is what it is. I now expect most recruits to speak fondly of all if not most schools that recruit them and show little candor as to how they really feel.

Tim1515
12-10-2009, 06:33 PM
You're right it shouldn't be but in just the last few months we have watched both Irving and Barnes stretch out their recruitment at least in part to generate more buzz. I am next to positive that both had their minds made up weeks if not longer before actually making their announcements. Meanwhile thousands of fans from several schools waited on the edge of their seats for any gossip they could find. I'm not trying to denigrate them for doing this but I see little reason to open up your facebook and twitter pages to the masses if you're not trying to drum up publicity.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I've learned nothing else over the last few months, it's these kids are very media savvy and you have to take any comments by or about them with a grain of salt. I don't blame them, it simply is what it is. I now expect most recruits to speak fondly of all if not most schools that recruit them and show little candor as to how they really feel.

I see where you are coming from. Miller's "Let's Get Money" quote sounds like something right out of coach cal's mouth. Cal is selling the nba not UK and money is a big motivator.

Good news is...i believe Miller talks about Wall, Cousins and PP in his little UK writeup...all 3 of which will be 2 years removed from the program.

ice-9
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
C'mon guys, he's a kid just trying to have a good time. You know, the way we all were in trying to get attention at one point in our lives except nobody really cared?

airowe
12-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Dec. 12
Quincy Miller, PF
Winston-Salem, NC
Quality Education Academy

Scouts Grade: 98
ESPN100 Rank: 8
Position Rank: 3

Super 60 Quincy Miller drops 24 in Shootout

ESPNU Super 60 forward Quincy Miller scored 24 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as Quality Education Academy held off Brehm Prep (Carbondale, Ill.) on Friday at the Best of the Midwest Shootout.

DukeBlood
12-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I keep getting the feeling that he will be going to Kentucky. He has been talking about them when they are playing, and not Duke as of late. Plus he recently said "Texting my main guy Gilchrist...we talking about the future! ;) gym in a few". Gilchrist has long been rumored to be favoring the Cats.

Nothings set in stone yet, but don't be surprised. I hope he is smart enough to see the truth in someone like Cal. Anyway, good luck to him.

slower
12-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I hope he is smart enough to see the truth in someone like Cal.

Unfortunately (for us), for guys like Wall and Miller, the truth about Cal is this:

D. Rose - #1 pick
J. Wall - (probable) #1 pick

oldnavy
12-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately (for us), for guys like Wall and Miller, the truth about Cal is this:

D. Rose - #1 pick
J. Wall - (probable) #1 pick

I believe that is the "smoke" about Cal. Not sure Cal really had much to do with Rose being picked #1, he could have gone to a dozen programs and still been picked first. Wall probably could have gone to a DII school and still be the number one pick.

The truth about Cal is that your teams success with him is always going to be under suspicion and speculation if not flat out removed from the record. Thats the "truth" x2!

soccerstud2210
12-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I believe that is the "smoke" about Cal. Not sure Cal really had much to do with Rose being picked #1, he could have gone to a dozen programs and still been picked first. Wall probably could have gone to a DII school and still be the number one pick.

The truth about Cal is that your teams success with him is always going to be under suspicion and speculation if not flat out removed from the record. Thats the "truth" x2!

somehow i dont think that rose or tyreke or miller care too much!

it would be fantastic to snag miller! but in my pessimistic impression i dont think that it is going to happen.

calimari: i got you. rose was #1 overall. Evans was #4 overall. You will be #1 overall. come to Uk and see

Kedsy
12-16-2009, 09:26 AM
calimari: i got you. rose was #1 overall. Evans was #4 overall. You will be #1 overall. come to Uk and see

Of course, Rose, Evans, and Wall all play the same position (and have similar games). A position Quincy Miller does not play. To my knowledge, the only big man Calipari has coached who has gone near the top of a draft was Marcus Camby, and that was a long time ago. And I don't think he's done that well with wings, either, if that's how Quincy sees himself.

SupaDave
12-16-2009, 09:32 AM
somehow i dont think that rose or tyreke or miller care too much!

it would be fantastic to snag miller! but in my pessimistic impression i dont think that it is going to happen.

So what if Quincy replies "But what about Robert Dozier and Dajuan Wagner?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dozier

I think it's obvious that the guys that Cal is "putting" into the pros would get there even if they were injured the whole year. Rose could have gone from the YMCA to the NBA...

UrinalCake
12-16-2009, 10:27 AM

Maybe so, but Cal does play an entertaining, up-and-down style with a lot of scoring and not much emphasis on defense. I can see how that would be appealing to a high schooler who has his sights on the NBA. In their minds, dunks and crossover dribbles get you into the NBA. Pressure defense and low turnover ratios do not get you into the NBA.

soccerstud2210
12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Of course, Rose, Evans, and Wall all play the same position (and have similar games). A position Quincy Miller does not play. To my knowledge, the only big man Calipari has coached who has gone near the top of a draft was Marcus Camby, and that was a long time ago. And I don't think he's done that well with wings, either, if that's how Quincy sees himself.

you could say CDR, but he was 40th overall in the draft, but he's doing decently enough for himself. 16 ppg. 5 rpg. 2 apg

RoyalBlue08
12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Maybe so, but Cal does play an entertaining, up-and-down style with a lot of scoring and not much emphasis on defense. I can see how that would be appealing to a high schooler who has his sights on the NBA. In their minds, dunks and crossover dribbles get you into the NBA. Pressure defense and low turnover ratios do not get you into the NBA.

I think the defensive part may be unfair. Cal's Memphis teams played rather tough defense IMO. They might not be playing alot of defense at Kentucky yet, but it is a team filled with freshmen. I will say that his "style" of offense might be appealing to someone with no interest in learning how to play an actual offense.

Kedsy
12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
you could say CDR, but he was 40th overall in the draft, but he's doing decently enough for himself. 16 ppg. 5 rpg. 2 apg

True, CDR is a pretty good player, but if you have to reach to a second round pick in this discussion, then the idea that Cal is the coach if you want to be a lottery pick is pretty much exposed as a myth (at least if you're not an athletic, scoring PG).

DUKIE V(A)
12-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, the NCAA is either several steps behind and/or is not fully motivated to provide consequences to dirty programs or coaches. It is past time to start suspending coaches for entire seasons for running dirty programs (even when they move on to other programs). Under the current system, coaches are able to do their dirty deeds for years and then move on and start over with a more high profile program, making more money than they were before. Kentucky has sold its soul to win more basketball games. It is only a matter of time before it comes back to bite them.

As for Miller, I hope he gives Coach K and Duke a shot to impress. Coach K helps mold great basketball players and men. Miller will have to work harder on and off the court at Duke than Kentucky, but hopefully he sees the payoff as being greater. Best of luck to him.

El_Diablo
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Unfortunately, the NCAA is either several steps behind and/or is not fully motivated to provide consequences to dirty programs or coaches. It is past time to start suspending coaches for entire seasons for running dirty programs (even when they move on to other programs). Under the current system, coaches are able to do their dirty deeds for years and then move on and start over with a more high profile program, making more money than they were before.

The most recent proposed NCAA rule changes--discussed in an earlier thread a couple months ago--introduce sanctions against a coach instead of just against the school. With the timing, I think it's a rather obvious response to Calipari's departure from Memphis (although there are other coaches who have left burned bridges behind, like Kelvin Sampson).

So UK may not be entirely in the clear if Calipari is punished for anything that went down while he was at Memphis. NCAA investigations can take time, so while he appears safe now, Calipari may be dragged into at some point in the future. We'll probably find out in about four years or so...

Dukeface88
12-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I keep getting the feeling that he will be going to Kentucky. He has been talking about them when they are playing, and not Duke as of late. Plus he recently said "Texting my main guy Gilchrist...we talking about the future! ;) gym in a few". Gilchrist has long been rumored to be favoring the Cats.

Just over two weeks ago he was chatting with Kyrie and talking up Andre; a month ago he told someone to spell Duke correctly and used "we" to describe us. Don't panic yet; there will be plenty of time for that later.

DukeBlood
12-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Just over two weeks ago he was chatting with Kyrie and talking up Andre; a month ago he told someone to spell Duke correctly and used "we" to describe us. Don't panic yet; there will be plenty of time for that later.

I am in no way in panic mode. Its just a feeling, backed up with some of his tweets.

As you said, that was a while ago.. Things I believe have changed.

dukeballer2294
12-17-2009, 02:17 AM
so what i like playing the recruiting game too but these are high school students. many of them change their minds about college 10+ times before picking until he states " team a is the team to beat" im not worried

Ohiobobcat204
12-17-2009, 09:45 PM
not in panic mode but lets face it, this kid is going to kentucky. I have no doubt

juise
12-18-2009, 01:46 AM
not in panic mode but lets face it, this kid is going to kentucky. I have no doubt

That's so convincing. Are you sure you're not one of them there recruiting gu-ru's?

oldnavy
12-18-2009, 08:19 AM

he goes to Duke or UCONN or even Georgetown...

I have 17 and 19 year old boys, and if you can figure out what is going on inside QM's head, please call me and let me know how! I sure could use some pointers!:)

NSDukeFan
12-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Wouldn't this be the definition of panic mode?

NYDukie
12-18-2009, 09:07 AM

With all due respect, get a grip. Two weeks ago, and this goes for many, when Q was Tweetin all his love for Duke, those were saying he was a Duke lock. Now, he is Tweetin love for UK and despair is abound in many voices. I'm sure at his next visit, he will be Tweetin love to that "insert" school. He is a typical 17 year old kid, hot for the current thing. Just like most of us were in high school, we were all hot for the current "it" girl until the next girl one upped her and we were then hot for her. However, there is always that one hot girl who is hot all those years. Think of us as that. We will be in it at the end for Quincy (I personally think he comes to Duke) and if he doesn't we will go to plan B.

Devilsfan
12-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Kentucky, great basketball legacy going back to Heir Adolph.
unc, great basketball legacy, ok academic school.
DUKE, great basketball legacy, DUKE also is an elite academic institution.
Not every shool has the total package of superior academics and top athletics.
Not everyone was cut out to be a Dukie.
Go Devils!

soccerstud2210
12-18-2009, 09:50 AM
With all due respect, get a grip. Two weeks ago, and this goes for many, when Q was Tweetin all his love for Duke, those were saying he was a Duke lock. Now, he is Tweetin love for UK and despair is abound in many voices. I'm sure at his next visit, he will be Tweetin love to that "insert" school. He is a typical 17 year old kid, hot for the current thing. Just like most of us were in high school, we were all hot for the current "it" girl until the next girl one upped her and we were then hot for her. However, there is always that one hot girl who is hot all those years. Think of us as that. We will be in it at the end for Quincy (I personally think he comes to Duke) and if he doesn't we will go to plan B.

whoa guys why is everyone in attack mode?? this is a board to express opinions. how quick are we to attack or tear down someone else because of their opinion??

as for QM. i think this is the mindset for a good amount of people. and there is good reason because of what just happened to us just recently with another duke "LOCK". now, that duke lock is in carolina blue and hopefully only torments us for one year.

there is no reason to panic right now, but you gotta see where this is coming from. until he says "DUKE" he is not a duke lean or lock or anything for that matter, and its foolish to say so

but let's keep this board about expressing opinions, and let's not forget we are all on the SAME team...well except for all those quiet tarholes just trolling, but that's neither here nor there.

anyways, i hope this kid does see a dark shade of DUKE blue in his future!!

and always, GO DUKE!!!!

airowe
12-18-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLqhbmlCkrs

ChicagoCrazy84
12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I am as into recruiting as the next guy, but I will not be looping myself into this one. I want Quincy, but we're in 2009, not 2011. We are still trying to get a wing for 2010 so that is what I will be focusing on. That, and the Gonzaga game of course. You know what helps recruiting and all that good stuff? Winning!!

Bluedevil114
12-18-2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLqhbmlCkrs

He looks very impressed right now with Kentucky. If he was a making a decision tomorrow I would say Kentucky is the selection. But we all know 17 yrs old will change their minds and it looks like he is no where close to a decision. GO DUKE!!

NYDukie
12-18-2009, 10:36 AM
whoa guys why is everyone in attack mode?? this is a board to express opinions. how quick are we to attack or tear down someone else because of their opinion??

as for QM. i think this is the mindset for a good amount of people. and there is good reason because of what just happened to us just recently with another duke "LOCK". now, that duke lock is in carolina blue and hopefully only torments us for one year.

there is no reason to panic right now, but you gotta see where this is coming from. until he says "DUKE" he is not a duke lean or lock or anything for that matter, and its foolish to say so

but let's keep this board about expressing opinions, and let's not forget we are all on the SAME team...well except for all those quiet tarholes just trolling, but that's neither here nor there.

anyways, i hope this kid does see a dark shade of DUKE blue in his future!!

and always, GO DUKE!!!!

If mentioning to someone to get a "grip" is considered an attack, then this board is much more sensitive than I've ever imagined. I would hate to see what a "real" attack is then. I appreciate "soccerstuds" post but all that I said differently from your post was "to get a grip" and not panic. I'm a semi-regular poster and have never "attacked" someone but have had some posters comment to my posts in a manner I thought condescending and in other ways I thought not proper but wouldn't necessarily call them attacking. There are so many opionions on this board that I appreciate 99% of them (there are always those few useless posts, mine included...LOL) unless someone was using derogatory or vulgar language towards me, I wouldn't get overly offended. That said, this is a board of opinions and some will have opinions of what others say, opposite opinions in many cases. Would then a post in such opposite light characterize an attack or tear down of someone's opinion as someone not on the "same" team just because they disagree? I would hope and think not!

As for the more on topic comments you made regarding QM. I'm in total agreement. Let's have this play out as no recruit is a "lock" for any school until he is signed, sealed and delivered.

soccerstud2210
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
If mentioning to someone to get a "grip" is considered an attack, then this board is much more sensitive than I've ever imagined. I would hate to see what a "real" attack is then. I appreciate "soccerstuds" post but all that I said differently from your post was "to get a grip" and not panic. I'm a semi-regular poster and have never "attacked" someone but have had some posters comment to my posts in a manner I thought condescending and in other ways I thought not proper but wouldn't necessarily call them attacking. There are so many opionions on this board that I appreciate 99% of them (there are always those few useless posts, mine included...LOL) unless someone was using derogatory or vulgar language towards me, I wouldn't get overly offended. That said, this is a board of opinions and some will have opinions of what others say, opposite opinions in many cases. Would then a post in such opposite light characterize an attack or tear down of someone's opinion as someone not on the "same" team just because they disagree? I would hope and think not!

As for the more on topic comments you made regarding QM. I'm in total agreement. Let's have this play out as no recruit is a "lock" for any school until he is signed, sealed and delivered.

sorry NYDukie, i wasn't meaning to single out your post. yours just happened to be the last one in a line of like 2-3 others so i just grabbed the last one...

NYDukie
12-18-2009, 11:25 AM
sorry NYDukie, i wasn't meaning to single out your post. yours just happened to be the last one in a line of like 2-3 others so i just grabbed the last one...

Not a problem. In retrospect I should have sent you a private message. Anyhow, seems we are in agreement on QM and hopefully it will turn out best for the Dukies!

DevilHorns
12-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Kentucky, great basketball legacy going back to Heir Adolph.
unc, great basketball legacy, ok academic school.
DUKE, great basketball legacy, DUKE also is an elite academic institution.
Not every shool has the total package of superior academics and top athletics.
Not everyone was cut out to be a Dukie.
Go Devils!

Have you ever thought that maybe the "total package" of basketball tradition + academics could actually be an overall negative. I would say over 80% of the recruits out there want all the basketball but not the academics (just the party atmosphere, and a college to stand as a bridge to the NBA). Duke is definitely not a fit for the majority of recruits out there. I'm not sure about QM, but his recent expressed interest in UK makes me think that the "academics" you speak of may actually be a negative recruiting factor for this kid.

airowe
12-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Have you ever thought that maybe the "total package" of basketball tradition + academics could actually be an overall negative. I would say over 80% of the recruits out there want all the basketball but not the academics (just the party atmosphere, and a college to stand as a bridge to the NBA). Duke is definitely not a fit for the majority of recruits out there. I'm not sure about QM, but his recent expressed interest in UK makes me think that the "academics" you speak of may actually be a negative recruiting factor for this kid.

Actually, Quincy has stated his desire to participate in some sort of Pre-Med program in college. Now, I think this, like his Twitter and Facebook statements should all be taken with a very big grain of salt.

FTR, he has a 3.7 GPA thus far @ QEA.

soccerstud2210
12-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Not a problem. In retrospect I should have sent you a private message. Anyhow, seems we are in agreement on QM and hopefully it will turn out best for the Dukies!

No worries!

Go DUKE!

houstondukie
12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Actually, Quincy has stated his desire to participate in some sort of Pre-Med program in college. Now, I think this, like his Twitter and Facebook statements should all be taken with a very big grain of salt.

FTR, he has a 3.7 GPA thus far @ QEA.

Riiiiiiiight.

airowe
12-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Riiiiiiiight.

Not saying I believe it but he definitely said it. ;)

oldnavy
12-18-2009, 01:31 PM

That I agree with. The style of play may be attractive to the kids, but college coaches do not put anyone in the pros. If you are good enough to play in the pros you go to the pros, if you are not you don't.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-18-2009, 07:15 PM
That I agree with. The style of play may be attractive to the kids, but college coaches do not put anyone in the pros. If you are good enough to play in the pros you go to the pros, if you are not you don't.

I agree and I look back at Gerald Wallace who went to Alabama as an example. Can't remember who the coach was at the time, Gottfried maybe, but Gerald Wallace averaged like 5-6 PPG in SEC play and was a lottery pick and he is now doing very well with the Bobcats. So with that, do you say Coach Gottfried got Gerald Wallace to the pros? No and it's the same with Calipari. JC is no better at developing players than my mom, he is just a coach that knows what to say and who to say it to. John Wall, DRose, and Selby next year would do well anywhere they went.

yancem
12-19-2009, 10:50 AM

I agree to a point. Certainly Rose, Evans and Wall were nba caliber players prior to playing for Cal and were going to be high draft picks regardless. That being said, borderline players who play for big programs and coaches that have many players in the nba have a better shot at making it than players at small programs or less known coaches. Think about it, your a gm and you have a choice of 2 players for the 34th pick, both player have similar athletic ability and game but one played for K and the other for some coach you have never heard from. Who do you draft. Players at big time programs for big time coaches have big game experience, they have played with other big time players. They have learned the game from someone who KNOWS the game so when they arrive you don't have to teach them as much. During the Dean years at unc, there were several marginal players (especially big men) who got drafted and stayed in the league for several years. They didn't necessarily play much but they were good practice players because they know the game. So I believe that coaches can make a difference.

soccerstud2210
12-19-2009, 09:24 PM
@EvanDanielscout :

Just spent some time with @qmillertime. He's rocked head to toe in Kentucky gear. Listed about 8 schools that are making him a priority.

DevilHorns
12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
@EvanDanielscout :

Just spent some time with @qmillertime. He's rocked head to toe in Kentucky gear. Listed about 8 schools that are making him a priority.

lets be honest. go with our gut. we all knew where he was going even before this tweet. i hope he could've seen duke v gonzaga live.

Hermy-own
12-19-2009, 09:43 PM
lets be honest. go with our gut. we all knew where he was going even before this tweet. i hope he could've seen duke v gonzaga live.

I don't know if you are trying to lower expectations or are just being pessimistic. Low expectations are good. But the reality is that this kid is a junior in HS and nobody has a clue where he will end up next year. I think Duke is definitely in the running. Quincy is high on Kentucky now, but wasn't he high on Duke just a few months ago? Things can change fast, both ways.

DevilHorns
12-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know if you are trying to lower expectations or are just being pessimistic. Low expectations are good. But the reality is that this kid is a junior in HS and nobody has a clue where he will end up next year. I think Duke is definitely in the running. Quincy is high on Kentucky now, but wasn't he high on Duke just a few months ago? Things can change fast, both ways.

i admit, im being pessimistic. i havent felt good about QM since he started praising UK. I hope he sees the light and changes his mind. Think about how nasty we wouldve been with J wall this year if hed chosen us (A: much better than UK is right now, and theyre pretty good).

Kedsy
12-19-2009, 11:52 PM
i havent felt good about QM since he started praising UK.

If it's true, there's nothing anybody could have done about it. If it's not true, there's no point fretting over it. I'll be surprised if he commits before next October, so there might be some value in pacing our angst.

Jderf
12-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Think about how nasty we wouldve been with J wall this year if hed chosen us (A: much better than UK is right now, and theyre pretty good).

Would we really have been that much better with John Wall? In terms of success in the point guard position, Scheyer is contributing nearly identical numbers and with fewer turnovers. If Wall came, we probably would have had added athleticism and extra players on the perimeter, at the cost of a hit to Scheyer's productivity (since he would be playing off the ball). We would also potentially be turning the ball over more. I'm not saying it would have been bad if Wall came to Duke. It would definitely have been a good thing. But speculation as to how much better the team would have been (on the order of being a Top-5 or Top-15 team), is by no means clear-cut. No one could have predicted how well Scheyer would be playing this season and no one can say what impact Wall's presence would have had on that. That said, it woulda been nice to have the kid.

- Jderf

(Apologies for being a little off topic...)

juise
12-20-2009, 01:41 PM
@EvanDanielscout :

He's rocked head to toe in Kentucky gear.

[Insert joke about Kentucky customarily buying recruits clothing here.]

(Not intended in any way to reflect poorly on QT's character... just a joke.)

statik73
12-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Something about his "let's get money" tweets really turn me off.
Not sure if he has the right attitude and character to be a collegiate athlete.
Especially at Duke.
I can see why he is so high on UK.
Best of luck to him where ever he decides to go.

Kedsy
12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Especially at Duke.

Wow, are you serious? Way to go completely negative on a recruit who Duke still wants badly and seems by all accounts to be a really good kid. You're basing this on a couple of tweets?

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Especially at Duke.

You must be out of touch with the youth of today if you are worried when a teenager says let's get money. Seriously he says "Let's get money" So you have a bad opinion of him from now on? Many kids say stuff like that. It means lets do this, lets win this game or something to that extent, not let me call up Coach Cal and WWW and get some money for these Jordans that just came out.

Edit:No offensive

Acymetric
12-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Especially at Duke.

I'm pretty sure just about any basketball feels that way on some level. In fact, even people who don't play basketball feel that way, don't you think?

soccerstud2210
12-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Especially at Duke.

i have to agree with the others. that may be jumping the gun a bit.

i would welcome QM with open arms. this kid is sick. he is a beast. and eventually he WILL get money. hopefully after playing in a duke jersey for at least a year

statik73
12-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't know the kid, he may be a great person.
I just think his tweets sound a little thuggish and too self gratifying.
I'm not saying to stop recruiting him, if K likes him that's enough for me.
Chemistry is just a lot tougher to balance with someone who feels so much entitlement (McRoberts).
And the fact that he is so high on UK, just suggest someone who has no interest in getting an education. That is still pretty important to me.
Kyrie is the exact opposite. He knows he is great but still signs off with hungry and humble.

But in the end if he decides to go to Duke, that will show me he Values the team concept, and thinks he can buy into K's system and the Educational Aspect of college.

GO DUKE

SupaDave
12-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't know the kid, he may be a great person.
I just think his tweets sound a little thuggish and too self gratifying.
I'm not saying to stop recruiting him, if K likes him that's enough for me.
Chemistry is just a lot tougher to balance with someone who feels so much entitlement (McRoberts).
And the fact that he is so high on UK, just suggest someone who has no interest in getting an education. That is still pretty important to me.
Kyrie is the exact opposite. He knows he is great but still signs off with hungry and humble.

But in the end if he decides to go to Duke, that will show me he Values the team concept, and thinks he can buy into K's system and the Educational Aspect of college.

GO DUKE

"Thuggish"? You need to watch that interview of him posted above...

statik73
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I just watched that video, and he does come off as a very nice and respectful kid. I was basing everything on his tweets.

In K I Trust.

jv001
12-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Cal has two years to get Kentucky on probation before QM can enroll there. And we know what can happen when one school appears to be the earlier leader for a blue chip recruit(hb). Go Duke!

yancem
12-21-2009, 02:07 AM
I just watched that video, and he does come off as a very nice and respectful kid. I was basing everything on his tweets.

In K I Trust.

This is why I don't follow twitter. I don't need to know every detail about anyone and if your are "tweeting" several times a day, you are bound to say something stupid, offensive or annoying, that's the law of averages.

flyingdutchdevil
12-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Cal has two years to get Kentucky on probation before QM can enroll there. And we know what can happen when one school appears to be the earlier leader for a blue chip recruit(hb). Go Duke!

True. Very true. HB-Gate taught us a lot of lessons. I, for one, am no longer confident about getting recruits. It has nothing to do with K's ability or the coaching staff, it's merely a mentality thing. IMO, this is a good thing for me, as all the recruits we get will put a smile on my face and all the recruits we don't get won't bother me as much.

Duke79UNLV77
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
What seems most revolutionary about Twitter to me is the ability of random fans/yahoos to communicate directly with star recruits. If you look at Miller's Twitter page now, one Kentucky fan asks him directly if he and Gilchrist are considering going to the samed school, and Miller response yeah. Recruiting analysts make a living going to great lengths to try to get a scoop like that. Another Kentucky fan is reminding Miller of Kentucky's next game where they will go for their 2000th win. (Of course, Kyrie saw how Kentucky fans can turn.)

Not that Duke fans all are above this. Some Duke fan has communicated with Miller about the Knight/Calipari situation, with Miller defending Calipari.

When would a fan (booster?) cross the line? How could a university regulate/control the communication? I have no problem with a student/athlete having a Twitter page, but when does it become creepy for a random, anonymous fan to engage the athlete in direct conversations?

The general issue of Twitter aside, I also have reached the point where I would be very surprised/shocked if Miller does not go to Kentucky. I hope I'm wrong, because he came across well in the video and could be a huge difference maker as a player. NCAA issues could loom over Calipari, but we all know how slowly that process works.

NYDukie
12-21-2009, 09:43 AM
I've been following Duke basketball pretty religiously for 20+ years and have followed this site in nearly the same vain, without the constant posting though and have noticed a sorry pattern among some fans/posters regarding Duke recruiting of late, especially during the HB recruitment and now it flowing into the Quincy Miller recruitment. The pattern I noticed, for lack of better words, seems to be that some (a fair % too) are becoming fair weather Duke recruiter fans. When recruits are professing all their love for Duke, everyone is so gung ho, Duke is god and the said recruit is the best thing since sliced white bread. However, once said recruit doesn't commit early, starts looking at other programs, says favorable things about other schools, a good number of Duke fans/posters now seems to down play the recruit, say he isn't Duke material, continually comment on worse case scenarios about how the recruitment of said recruit will play out (call it the HB fallout which culminated after Boyton and Monroe) and how Duke recruiting is no longer elite. This is all being said when the recruitment of the said player is not even close to being done, when Duke is still highly in mix, etc. Maybe its because of the information age when we hear everything within 2 seconds, maybe its our generation (I'm 35 and will throw myself into this pot) where many want everyhting and anything now. I don't know what it is but we really need to take a step back and have a reality check. It's nice to follow the recruitment, make comments regarding opinions but let's chill out a bit during the ups and downs of the recruitment otherwise we prove to many that we can become what we despise which is a violotile fan base like those in Kentucky, etc. In the end, let the kid have his time in the recruitment and take it with a grain of salt.

Just note I am not throwing any specific posters or even the majority under the bus here. I've just noticed that many are becoming unrealistic in their expectations of how the process should go and in some cases somewhat narcessistic in their assessments. It's been kind of sad in some instances to the point where like some posters I'm almost ready to pass over reading any recruiting threads for awhile.

Had to vent and am prepared to hear some critical responses to my comments...LOL

SupaDave
12-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I've been following Duke basketball pretty religiously for 20+ years and have followed this site in nearly the same vain, without the constant posting though and have noticed a sorry pattern among some fans/posters regarding Duke recruiting of late, especially during the HB recruitment and now it flowing into the Quincy Miller recruitment. The pattern I noticed, for lack of better words, seems to be that some (a fair % too) are becoming fair weather Duke recruiter fans. When recruits are professing all their love for Duke, everyone is so gung ho, Duke is god and the said recruit is the best thing since sliced white bread. However, once said recruit doesn't commit early, starts looking at other programs, says favorable things about other schools, a good number of Duke fans/posters now seems to down play the recruit, say he isn't Duke material, continually comment on worse case scenarios about how the recruitment of said recruit will play out (call it the HB fallout which culminated after Boyton and Monroe) and how Duke recruiting is no longer elite. This is all being said when the recruitment of the said player is not even close to being done, when Duke is still highly in mix, etc. Maybe its because of the information age when we hear everything within 2 seconds, maybe its our generation (I'm 35 and will throw myself into this pot) where many want everyhting and anything now. I don't know what it is but we really need to take a step back and have a reality check. It's nice to follow the recruitment, make comments regarding opinions but let's chill out a bit during the ups and downs of the recruitment otherwise we prove to many that we can become what we despise which is a violotile fan base like those in Kentucky, etc. In the end, let the kid have his time in the recruitment and take it with a grain of salt.

Just note I am not throwing any specific posters or even the majority under the bus here. I've just noticed that many are becoming unrealistic in their expectations of how the process should go and in some cases somewhat narcessistic in their assessments. It's been kind of sad in some instances to the point where like some posters I'm almost ready to pass over reading any recruiting threads for awhile.

Had to vent and am prepared to hear some critical responses to my comments...LOL

Very astute observation that many should take the time to read.

G man
12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I admit that I am very frustrated with recruiting as of late. Not on whom we are going after, or the effort our coaches are giving. I want every elite recruit like everyone else, but those who have chosen other places have made me sour to the process. I will say this though that I think that if Kyrie an Elite recruit blows up and is the monster we all hope he will be that it could be just the thing to jump start recruiting again. Because let’s face it these things are cyclical. Everyone goes through the ups and downs. The sky has not fallen yet!

Kedsy
12-21-2009, 11:14 AM

What a great post, I agree 100%. It's amazing how the tide around here seems to turn so quickly, based on tiny tidbits of information that 9 out of 10 times mean nothing. And even if a little hint turns out to be the harbinger of bad news, should it change our personal views about the recruit? I don't think so. Some people appear to think that a recruit can't be a "good kid" if he has the gall to choose a school other than Duke, and start casting aspersions whenever the kid considers somewhere else, but IMO it's wrong to post those negative suggestions about a teenager who's just trying to do the best for himself.

I feel the same way about the posting waves after Duke wins and losses: after we win, the players are all great and we're a lock for the Final Four, but after we lose, everybody stinks and we're going to flame out in the 2nd round. I suppose that's a discussion for a different thread, though, isn't it?

roywhite
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
The whole Harrison Barnes recruiting saga has discouraged me, temporarily at least, from following every little tweet or rumor about a recruit's intentions. Young Mr. Miller sounds like a fine prospect, and perhaps he will choose Duke.

Plenty to follow in the actual Duke basketball season.

ice-9
12-21-2009, 12:04 PM

It's not fair to call people "fair weather Duke recruiter fans" (is there even such a thing??). I think what's happening here is that people have learned (or are actively trying) to adjust their expectations downwards based on their experiences. The recruiting cycle is a long one and reading up on a recruit only to be disappointed at the end is a harsh thing to take. So I see a lot of these types of "fair weather" posts to be a reflection of that.

I don't however like to see posters putting down recruits just because they appear to lean away from Duke. That's not cool.

But downplaying expectations...yeah, I expect it. It's what I'm trying to do too after the John Wall and Harrison Barnes saga. It's simply not worth getting too involved in recruiting.

PhillyDuke
12-21-2009, 02:32 PM
The problem is simple: people are concerned because we've been unable to get big men of the calibur of barnes, miller, patterson, monroe etc. to come to Duke.

juise
12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
The problem is simple: people are concerned because we've been unable to get big men of the calibur of barnes, miller, patterson, monroe etc. to come to Duke.

As far as I can tell, Barnes is a wing (2/3) and Miller is a 3/4 tweener. Both are top 5 players. How then does Kyle Singler not qualify as a "big man of [their] calibur?"

dukeballer2294
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
because people never worry about the players they do get, just the few they miss on

Kedsy
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Yeah, it's a shame we don't have any decent bigs on the team right now.

soccerstud2210
12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
because people never worry about the players they do get, just the few they miss on

i think the worry from everyone is that the list continues to grow...

just saying you gotta see it from both perspectives

Granted, you will miss out on targets every year. but when its your #1 priority or need, then that is where the worry comes in.

in K we trust!

Duke79UNLV77
12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
From what I've seen on this thread, I just recall one guy suggesting QM may not be a good "fit" for us, and he seemed to retract that comment after watching the video of QM's interview. Most people seem to think QM would be a fabulous fit, from a talent, personality, and academic perspective, but that recent signs suggest he is a Kentucky lean. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, given that the main source from this feeling is QM himself, and I think we're all still holding out hope. My comment focused on the general development of fans communicating directly with recruits on Twitter, when this would cross the line, and whether it could possibly be controlled.

While there will also be some sky-is-falling-itis, there also can be a reactionary tendency to criticize anyone who observes possible negative developments in recruiting.

Kedsy
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Every team misses on some guys every year, so by definition the list will continue to grow. Putting HB and QM on a list of "bigs" while excluding Kyle, Ryan, Mason, and Josh Hairston appears to be missing a little perspective.

jimsumner
12-21-2009, 05:41 PM
The list of must-haves missed by Mike Krzyzewski at Duke started with Barry Spencer in April 1980 and just grows and grows.

Somehow, he manages to compensate.

PaIronDuke
12-21-2009, 10:01 PM
As usual, Jim Sumner provides cool reflection and the voice of reason.

One of our continuing sources of pride that runs through all the vicissitudes of recruiting has been the decency, professionalism, and class of our staff. For that reason, my one lingering personal regret from the HB recruitment was the apparent slight-for want of a better word-of Coach K, who is as decent a human being as there is in collegiate athletics. Other than that, next page..........

PhillyDuke
12-21-2009, 10:54 PM
As far as I can tell, Barnes is a wing (2/3) and Miller is a 3/4 tweener. Both are top 5 players. How then does Kyle Singler not qualify as a "big man of [their] calibur?"

You're asking me to compare two high school forwards to Singler? If you insist, I don't recall Singler being rated at #1 in his recruiting class; but HB and QM are. I like Kyle, IMO he's a decent player. If he's going to achieve ACC POY status he's going to have to "kill-it" from here on; nearly one-third of the season has already passed, and all the cupcakes are gone. The jury is out on him in my book.

roywhite
12-21-2009, 11:02 PM
You're asking me to compare two high school forwards to Singler? If you insist, I don't recall Singler being rated at #1 in his recruiting class; but HB and QM are. I like Kyle, IMO he's a decent player. If he's going to achieve ACC POY status he's going to have to "kill-it" from here on; nearly one-third of the season has already passed, and all the cupcakes are gone. The jury is out on him in my book.

What jury is that? Kyle is an excellent all-around college basketball player.

Is there some expectation that our recruiting is not going well if we don't get the #1 ranked recruit in a given year?

jv001
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
What jury is that? Kyle is an excellent all-around college basketball player.

Is there some expectation that our recruiting is not going well if we don't get the #1 ranked recruit in a given year?

There are about 300+ teams that don't get the #1 recruit each year and that includes 24 out of the top 25 teams in the nation. As I said in another thread, Kyle is being treated just like Gerald last year at this time of the year. We know that he got it going and played exceptional basketball the rest of the year. I expect Kyle to do the same thing. Go Duke!

soccerstud2210
12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Every team misses on some guys every year, so by definition the list will continue to grow. Putting HB and QM on a list of "bigs" while excluding Kyle, Ryan, Mason, and Josh Hairston appears to be missing a little perspective.

thats what i said. dont just copy part of my post. i said you will miss out on some every year so that list will grow.

i didnt say anything about bigs. i was talking recruits in general

juise
12-21-2009, 11:44 PM
You're asking me to compare two high school forwards to Singler? If you insist, I don't recall Singler being rated at #1 in his recruiting class; but HB and QM are.

Barnes is #1, but is definitely not a big man. Miller is #7 on Scout (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2011) and #8 on ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/prospects?&state=null&status=null&toggle=null&pos=null&season=2011&action=upsell). Where do you see him #1?

Kyle was 6-8 coming out of high school, the consensus #5 (http://rscihoops.com/) recruit in his class. And that was a stellar class, with 11 of the top 20 going pro after 1 year. Patrick Patterson (also 6-8) was #9 in that class, yet he is listed as one of the high-caliber misses. Monroe was #8 in his class.

So either rankings are important or they're not. I just struggle with the logic of listing all those players and treating Kyle as a lesser recruit.

Kedsy
12-22-2009, 12:22 AM

PhillyDuke, you started by saying people are concerned because "we've been unable to get big men" and then named one wing, one combo forward, one power forward, and one center. According to RSCI, Barnes (a wing) is ranked #1 in his class; Patterson was tied for 9th in his class, and Monroe was 6th in his class. RSCI hasn't released 2011 rankings yet, but Rivals has Miller ranked #3, while as a previous poster mentioned Scout has him at #7 (and not #1 as you have stated).

Putting aside that we haven't missed on Miller yet, I would think the fact that Kyle Singler (#5 in his class) came to Duke pretty much belies your original assertion, even if you're unwilling to count Ryan Kelly (#14 in his class) and Mason Plumlee (#18), because #5 is certainly of the same caliber as a group containing #1, #3 (or #7), #6, and #9. Whether Kyle wins ACC POY is irrelevant to whether he was a similarly ranked recruit.

just saying you gotta see it from both perspectives

Granted, you will miss out on targets every year. but when its your #1 priority or need, then that is where the worry comes in.

in K we trust!

thats what i said. dont just copy part of my post. i said you will miss out on some every year so that list will grow.

Well, I interpreted your earlier post to mean that the list continuing to grow was a "worry" (which was a literal interpretation but I apologize if that's not what you meant). My post was meant to say I don't think it's a worry so much as an inevitable result of recruiting every year and the impossibility of getting every single recruit you want.

Also, I very much disagree that Barnes or Miller were/are our "#1 need," or even close. And I don't think I'd go there with Patterson, either, since he was in the same class as Kyle and Kyle was ranked higher. Admittedly, Monroe probably was our biggest need that year.

One of my pet peeves is hearing posters on a message board calling a particular recruit our "#1 priority," and then lamenting that we can't reel in our number one guy, while ignoring the guys we did get who were clearly recruited just as hard. For example, in the incoming class PG is undoubtedly a more important need than WF, so why does everyone persist in saying Barnes was our #1 priority? Has K ever said this? If so, I stand corrected but I never saw that interview. My guess is every year we have several "#1" priorities, one for each position the staff wants to bring in, meaning the best that could be said about Barnes was he was a "co-number one" priority, along with Kyrie at PG, and possibly even Josh Hairston at the PF position.

Certainly Greg Monroe played a position of need, but we weren't recruiting him at the expense of Elliot Williams -- it wasn't an either/or proposition -- we wanted both. The same could be said last year with missing Boynton but getting Mason and Ryan. And in Patterson's year we got Kyle, Nolan, and Taylor King, and none of them were afterthoughts or backup plans to Patterson.

I apologize for being long-winded here, but rather than being worried that we can't reel in our number one priority, my worry is that posters on a message board feel comfortable asserting Duke has only one top priority each year and then somehow think they know who the one guy was. (And in saying all this, I am not intending to call you out, soccerstud2210. My last four paragraphs are more of a general rant.)

i didnt say anything about bigs. i was talking recruits in general

Yes, my apologies, when I was talking about the list of bigs, I was referring back to PhillyDuke's post. I just didn't do the multiple quote thing in my previous post. Sorry for the confusion.

duke09hms
12-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Yeah, kind of dumb to downplay the accomplishments of Kyle Singler, who is an amazing player. I don't think the angst concerning recruiting is about missing our top targets or not getting high-caliber players. Getting Kyrie was huge for a program that hasn't had a breakdown PG since Duhon, and hell our 2010 class would have been stacked if Dawkins, a top-rated SG in his class, had stayed in school. Kyrie, Andre, Josh Hairston, Tyler Thornton plus probably another SF is crazy good haul in a single class.

It's just that in recent years, we've had great teams that were just one piece away from being complete teams and true title contenders. In '05 we lacked a PG, in '06 we "kind of" addressed the PG issue with pre-injury Paulus but lacked any other scorer besides JJ and Shelden. '07 was umm a rough year. '08 and '09, we lacked a big post presence along with some PG issues. This year might be the first time we've resembled a complete team that has a legit chance to go far in the tourney.

Sure we've missed on recruits since forever, just like every other program, which is no big deal, but I think it's really been harped upon in recent years because of how strikingly obvious these missing pieces have been. For example, how is it that we havent landed a single PG since Paulus came aboard? Or how is it that we've lacked significant post production up until now for at least two whole seasons? Yea yea, I know we've missed on top recruits (just like every other school), but it seems the main problem has been we just leave empty-handed after missing on those top targets. For example, after the Nova loss, K says we have no PG, which I'm sure he's known for a long long time. If K has known that, should we not have had at least a solid-to-backup PG prospect locked up from the class of '09/'08/'07 (kind of like a Tyler Thornton-type) way before the tournament and not have to hope for a wild-goose pursuit of John Wall so late in the process? So that even if we miss on our year's top target at a position, we still come away with something.

K is a great coach, but he's definitely not perfect, and so I think these are some legitimate concerns that Duke fans have had.

flyingdutchdevil
12-22-2009, 03:09 AM
There are about 300+ teams that don't get the #1 recruit each year and that includes 24 out of the top 25 teams in the nation. As I said in another thread, Kyle is being treated just like Gerald last year at this time of the year. We know that he got it going and played exceptional basketball the rest of the year. I expect Kyle to do the same thing. Go Duke!

I agree that Kyle is being treated like G was last year. However, I just don't see Kyle making as a big a leap. G had one of the strangest seasons - he played like an athletic freshman for the first 10 games, and then like a first team All-American once ACC competition started. I really don't see Kyle making that big a jump. Will Kyle improve? Of course he will. But I don't see him making that big a leap as G.

Secondly, Kyle hasn't shown the ability to take over a game. That is what I really want to see. Jon has, you can make the argument that Nolan has, but Kyle hasn't. IMO, this is why I feel Kyle isn't playing well. He is trying to take over games, but not succeeding. Gonzaga was a perfect example - when Duke was struggling early, Kyle tried to take over the game but instead was missing a whole range of shots and turning the ball over. I feel that he plays so much better off the ball and with someone feeding him (see Scheyer) rather than trying to pull a G.

soccerstud2210
12-22-2009, 07:16 AM
I apologize for being long-winded here, but rather than being worried that we can't reel in our number one priority, my worry is that posters on a message board feel comfortable asserting Duke has only one top priority each year and then somehow think they know who the one guy was. (And in saying all this, I am not intending to call you out, soccerstud2210. My last four paragraphs are more of a general rant.)

Yes, my apologies, when I was talking about the list of bigs, I was referring back to PhillyDuke's post. I just didn't do the multiple quote thing in my previous post. Sorry for the confusion.

no worries. its easy to misunderstand what people type sometimes

roywhite
12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
I agree that Kyle is being treated like G was last year. However, I just don't see Kyle making as a big a leap. G had one of the strangest seasons - he played like an athletic freshman for the first 10 games, and then like a first team All-American once ACC competition started. I really don't see Kyle making that big a jump. Will Kyle improve? Of course he will. But I don't see him making that big a leap as G.

Secondly, Kyle hasn't shown the ability to take over a game. That is what I really want to see. Jon has, you can make the argument that Nolan has, but Kyle hasn't. IMO, this is why I feel Kyle isn't playing well. He is trying to take over games, but not succeeding. Gonzaga was a perfect example - when Duke was struggling early, Kyle tried to take over the game but instead was missing a whole range of shots and turning the ball over. I feel that he plays so much better off the ball and with someone feeding him (see Scheyer) rather than trying to pull a G.

Huh? Do you remember we played Wisconsin...very good team playing at home with a very enthusiastic crowd?

Kyle Singler
28 points
10-17 shooting
7-7 Free throws
6 rebounds
3 assists

It's one of the better performances we've seen from any player this college season.

I'm not sure how we got from recruiting Quincy Miller to doubting Kyle.

ice-9
12-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Guys...Kyle Singler is a stud. We all thought so before the season began over the last two years, and really, nothing has fundamentally changed. He's in a bit of a slump, plays a different position, and had an ankle injury, but he'll get out of it.

Relax, you'll see.

This guy has the complete package: shooting, passing, dribbling, post game, defense, rebounding, height, athleticism...just give him some breathing space to get it all together consistently.

superdave
12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have anything to add about the subject of this thread?

wilko
12-22-2009, 09:41 AM

Seemingly nothing positive...
My glean is that most folks have written him off and given him a ticket to UK.
Which is OK I guess... but if the young man can tweet, he can find this site and this thread; which If I were him, would re-enforce my inclination to go elsewhere.

Or in other words, Lotta bitterness and sour grapes..
It aint like we are doing a lot to change his mind.

Aint nothing wrong with Duke that a strong March run wont fix.

flyingdutchdevil
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Huh? Do you remember we played Wisconsin...very good team playing at home with a very enthusiastic crowd?

Kyle Singler
28 points
10-17 shooting
7-7 Free throws
6 rebounds
3 assists

It's one of the better performances we've seen from any player this college season.

I'm not sure how we got from recruiting Quincy Miller to doubting Kyle.

I don't believe that we won that game. Sure, he played great. But whenever Scheyer plays great, we come through. I love Singler and he is a massive asset to this team, but I don't think that he is the leader or our most important. Currently, and I mean currently, he may not even be our second most important player. The way that Nolan is playing, it makes me think that Singler could be the third banana.

Lol about the quincy miller thread.

NYDukie
12-22-2009, 10:10 AM

I think he is waiting for his Secret Santa gift from Calimari...LOL

flyingdutchdevil
12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I think he is waiting for his Secret Santa gift from Calimari...LOL

Can we stop calling Coach Cal "Calimari"? He is definitely a squid, but calimari is delicious! It gives that amazing food such a bad name ;)

Saratoga2
12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Since Singler would be gone before Miller would come to the team, I don't see how discussions of Singler are pertinent. Quincy is a top notch small forward. He has a total game and at 6'7" seems to have the characteristics the would fit the Duke style of play. I do notice he is being recruited by a host of teams, with Duke as one of the lead possibilities. I have heard that he is unlikely to move toward commitment until the springtime, so for now I don't really see how we should spend a lot of effort talking about him.

airowe
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Since Singler would be gone before Miller would come to the team, I don't see how discussions of Singler are pertinent. Quincy is a top notch small forward. He has a total game and at 6'7" seems to have the characteristics the would fit the Duke style of play. I do notice he is being recruited by a host of teams, with Duke as one of the lead possibilities. I have heard that he is unlikely to move toward commitment until the springtime, so for now I don't really see how we should spend a lot of effort talking about him.

Quincy is actually 6'10" - 6'11". Other than that I agree with everything you wrote.

juise
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Since Singler would be gone before Miller would come to the team, I don't see how discussions of Singler are pertinent.

The assertion has been made that Duke no longer can land tall players of Miller's caliber. My comparison to Kyle was made because (1) he was ranked as highly as Miller, and (2) because he was as tall as Miller (Miller is 6'7" on Scout and 6'8" on Rivals/ESPN)... not to mention Barnes and Patterson.

I would love to have Miller on board and I think that Singler is proof that versatile forwards can thrive in Duke's "system."

Kedsy
12-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Quincy is actually 6'10" - 6'11". Other than that I agree with everything you wrote.

I've heard people think he will grow that tall, but is he really that tall now?

superdave
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM

If QM comes to Duke, I hope he grows to be as large as Nick Horvath.

Guess we'll have to wait until spring to find out.

juise
12-22-2009, 01:03 PM

Better yet... he could be Casey Sanders with an outside shot and a little handle. I bet he'll kill in the Blue/White games! :p

Kedsy
12-22-2009, 01:08 PM

Better yet... he could be Casey Sanders with an outside shot and a little handle. I bet he'll kill in the Blue/White games! :p

Here we go again, downplaying a recruit's skills because we think he might be leaning away from Duke. From everything I've heard and read, QM is a franchise-player type. I'd really like him to come to Duke, but if he doesn't, that won't change how good I expect him to be (just as it won't change that he seems to be a really good kid).

juise
12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Here we go again, downplaying a recruit's skills because we think he might be leaning away from Duke. From everything I've heard and read, QM is a franchise-player type. I'd really like him to come to Duke, but if he doesn't, that won't change how good I expect him to be (just as it won't change that he seems to be a really good kid).

That's not what I was doing. I know he's an elite talent. I have said as much in my previous post in this thread. I was just playing along with the height jokes. Let's not forget that Casey was a top-20 recruit, ranked higher than Dunleavy, Casey Jacobson, Drew Gooden, Kareem Rush, Nick Collison, and Joe Johnson. I don't even think Quincy is a clear Kentucky lean.

Calm down.

Kedsy
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
That's not what I was doing. I know he's an elite talent. I have said as much in my previous post in this thread. I was just playing along with the height jokes. Let's not forget that Casey was a top-20 recruit, ranked higher than Dunleavy, Casey Jacobson, Drew Gooden, Kareem Rush, Nick Collison, and Joe Johnson. I don't even think Quincy is a clear Kentucky lean.

Calm down.

Sorry if I overreacted. But it does seem to me that a Duke fan compares a player to Nick Horvath and Casey Sanders they are not being complimentary. (Which also isn't nice or fair to Nick and Casey, but that's a discussion for a different day.)

Also, Casey Sanders's high ranking was based almost purely on potential (a potential he never reached, sadly). Everything I read at the time stressed he was relatively new to basketball and would be a major project. Quincy Miller is not that sort of player at all. Most reports I've read suggest he'll be an impact player starting with the first game of his freshman year.

As far as whether Quincy is a Kentucky lean, I agree it's too early to tell.

jimsumner
12-22-2009, 02:10 PM
"I don't believe that we won that game"

How did Duke do in the ACC Tournament last year, when Singler had 54 points, 24 rebounds and 9 blocks? Or at Purdue, when Singler had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a road win against a top-ten team? Did his 22 points against Davidson or 21 against Rhode Island help or hurt Duke's ability to withstand spirited upset bids? How about that 16-rebound game against Big East bully Georgetown last year?

The implication that Singler somehow doesn't play well in big wins is awfully hard to support. This kid has made beaucoup big plays in his 2+ seasons at Duke and is going to make a lot more.

MChambers
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I think that Kyle Singler has had a great career so far, even by Duke standards. I am perplexed by those who think that he is now the third best Duke player and by those who think that he really isn't good enough to go to the NBA at this point.

I suspect that we will look back on this thread in April and realize how silly it was.

Kedsy
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
"I don't believe that we won that game"

How did Duke do in the ACC Tournament last year, when Singler had 54 points, 24 rebounds and 9 blocks? Or at Purdue, when Singler had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a road win against a top-ten team? Did his 22 points against Davidson or 21 against Rhode Island help or hurt Duke's ability to withstand spirited upset bids? How about that 16-rebound game against Big East bully Georgetown last year?

The implication that Singler somehow doesn't play well in big wins is awfully hard to support. This kid has made beaucoup big plays in his 2+ seasons at Duke and is going to make a lot more.

I don't want to get in the middle of something that's none of my business, but I believe the original poster's point was that Kyle doesn't play well when he plays 40 minutes (or almost 40). Of course, that point is patently false as well; the ACC tourney last year is proof enough that Kyle can play the entire game (or three entire games) at an extremely high level, but just saying I don't think anyone was suggesting Kyle doesn't play well in big wins.

airowe
12-22-2009, 02:20 PM

I've read elsewhere he is 6'10". My bad. As of Dec. 15th he is listed at 6'9" in an article on Scout.com.

Saratoga2
12-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I've read elsewhere he is 6'10". My bad. As of Dec. 15th he is listed at 6'9" in an article on Scout.com.

Hard to tell since the services list him at 6'7" and 6'8" respectively. He could well have grown since then and the services are behind the times. I still think it is early to give a lot of time to talking about him. The spring will be soon enough.

airowe
12-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Hard to tell since the services list him at 6'7" and 6'8" respectively. He could well have grown since then and the services are behind the times. I still think it is early to give a lot of time to talking about him. The spring will be soon enough.

Those listings are not necessarily sources of good information. Just sayin'... Regardless, he's a solid player and will make a huge impact at whatever school he decides to attend, regardless of his size.