PDA

View Full Version : Considering attending the K Academy...

Kewlswim
06-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know how much basketball one plays there? Is it like going to a basketball camp for adults? Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GO DUKE!!

gvtucker
06-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know how much basketball one plays there? Is it like going to a basketball camp for adults? Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GO DUKE!!

You play a lot of basketball. A LOT. So much that if you want to be able to play on the last day, you need to get in pretty darn good shape before you go to the camp. And even then, even if you're in very good shape, you'll still be feeling that sore feeling that you haven't had since August two-a-days in high school.

MCragg
06-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Good morning...

I had to jump in here...since we run the Academy and we love putting it on every year for the past seven!

The answer to your question is that you play a lot of basketball as already indicated in the previous post. The 8th Annual K Academy will take place next June in Cameron Indoor and the Krzyzewski Center. You'll play a minimum of six games during the period from Wednesday-Sunday. If your team advances in the Sunday Tournament - then you could play as many as two more and for the championship!

Best of all - you'll be coached by our former players and they are as competitive in coaching as they are in playing. It's a lot of fun. But it's also a lot of hard work. We marvel at the dedication our campers come in to play and we have made many lifetime friends from the Academy.

We also have around four to six campers each year come in as "coaches" and do not play due to physical difficulties or previous injuries. They also love the experience but just come out a little less sore. :)

We hope you'll join us - be on the look out for applications later this Fall.

Thanks for asking!

Mike Cragg
Sr. Associate Director of Athletics
Duke Basketball

watzone
06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I have seen a few of these events over the years and the guys have a blast. You will be totally immersed in an authentic Duke Basketball experience and will have some lasting relationships and memories. You are treated like a serious ball player and coached like one as well. I would highly suggest to anyone that they experience this opportunity should they have the chance. Furthermore, the money goes to a great cause, the Emily K Foundation.

I'm still tickled from watching Art "Air" Chase compete hard at this event. For those who don't know, he is the head of the SID office. I must admit that I think we should change "Air" to "Ham" in his name;)

RockyMtDevil
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
This year, the camper of the week gets a scholarship! Added bonus to attend the K camp this summer.

Kewlswim
06-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I am hesitant to attend because I am short, sort of slow, and have an awkward shot. I have a feeling everyone who attends is a really good basketball player and I will be embarrassing myself out there. Is this the case or am I wrong? Are most if not all the guys out there men who played on their varsity high school teams and now play hoops 2,3,4 times a week at the Y?

By the same token I would also feel weird attending and not playing. I don't have any physical limitations (actually I am in really good shape) and wouldn't want to lie. Lying is bad karma even if it saves you from being embarrassed.

GO DUKE!

BamaBlueDevil
06-25-2009, 03:54 PM
The ONLY requirement necessary to have a heck of a lot of fun at the K Academy is that you love basketball. The skill level runs the gamut and I think everyone enjoys it. Trust me - I've been there - I'm not much of a player, but I love it, and it is an awesome experience.

BlueDevilBaby
06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Have any women ever attended - as player or coach?

Kewlswim
06-25-2009, 06:10 PM
The ONLY requirement necessary to have a heck of a lot of fun at the K Academy is that you love basketball. The skill level runs the gamut and I think everyone enjoys it. Trust me - I've been there - I'm not much of a player, but I love it, and it is an awesome experience.

Thanks, this makes me feel better.

GO DUKE!

gvtucker
06-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I am hesitant to attend because I am short, sort of slow, and have an awkward shot. I have a feeling everyone who attends is a really good basketball player and I will be embarrassing myself out there. Is this the case or am I wrong? Are most if not all the guys out there men who played on their varsity high school teams and now play hoops 2,3,4 times a week at the Y?

By the same token I would also feel weird attending and not playing. I don't have any physical limitations (actually I am in really good shape) and wouldn't want to lie. Lying is bad karma even if it saves you from being embarrassed.

GO DUKE!

There is a VERY wide range of ability represented. Yeah, the average player out there is probably someone who played high school ball, as you imagine, but there are plenty of guys both better and worse than average. And most all have a good time, regardless of ability.

The only limiting factor is $$$. If you can get over that hurdle, it is a grand time.

weezie
06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I'd like to go... but I'm pretty pathetic. Any room for cheerleaders?:)

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd like to go... but I'm pretty pathetic. Any room for cheerleaders?:)
You could be one of the coaches.

weezie
06-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Now we're talking!:D

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Now we're talking!:D

Aim high! Don't underestimate what you can do.

stripes01
06-25-2009, 11:42 PM
K Academy....three words "First Class Event"....I've had the honor to be one of the REFEREE's at K Academy the last 6 years of the camp. I must say that there are many sizes, shapes, and diffierent abilities at this camp, but everyone has a great time an shares a lot laughs and smiles! I highly recommend attending K Academy....its great expereince and the money raised goes to a great cause as well. I must admit its pretty neat to have the formers players and current coaches yelling at us. It always makes for some interesting conversations and laughs..... Many thanks to Rachel, Debbie, Mike C, Kenny and Coach K.

Clark "Opie" Bennett

Exiled_Devil
06-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

I attended K Academy a few years ago. I didn't manage to score a single point. And one of the returning campers had the same record the year before. I played basketball recreationally in high school, but hadn't touched a ball in almost 20 years. I still had a great time. I found a way to contribute - picks and rebounds - and my team had a blast. Lost in the tourney final.

I was in good cardio shape then, but my skills were low. If you can manage the cost and feel in pretty good shape, I say go for it.

Kewlswim
06-26-2009, 02:25 AM
I attended K Academy a few years ago. I didn't manage to score a single point. And one of the returning campers had the same record the year before. I played basketball recreationally in high school, but hadn't touched a ball in almost 20 years. I still had a great time. I found a way to contribute - picks and rebounds - and my team had a blast. Lost in the tourney final.

I was in good cardio shape then, but my skills were low. If you can manage the cost and feel in pretty good shape, I say go for it.

Hi,

Since others spent a lot of $$$ as would I to attend, I would hate to drop a ball or foul someone causing a loss and thus letting my team down. :-(

However, I am learning this is not an issue I should worry about. I am used to long practices for different sports, about how long is the physical activity each day? Do we eat together and watch film, etc?

GO DUKE!

Exiled_Devil
06-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi,

Since others spent a lot of $$$ as would I to attend, I would hate to drop a ball or foul someone causing a loss and thus letting my team down. :-(

However, I am learning this is not an issue I should worry about. I am used to long practices for different sports, about how long is the physical activity each day? Do we eat together and watch film, etc?

GO DUKE!

IIRC, it was 2-4 games a day. Film is watched (of yourself, mostly) and eating is done - Highlight of the camp for me was team dinner, where my wife and I sat and chatted with Grant for a couple of hours. AWESOME!

And don't worry about messing things up - someone will be over-competitive, but the overall atmosphere is "cool, playing basketball and hanging out with Duke Basketball alum!"

Savage
06-27-2009, 04:37 AM
I have been to each of the seven Academy’s. I thought I would comment since I have such a blast each year.

A few comments:

- There are some REALLY good players at camp, and even more who totally suck. I’d like to think I’m somewhere in between.
- All the players (and former Duke players) are really great guys. You will definitely make some good friends.
- Most the guys are in their 40s, but lots are in their 50s+ (the oldest player, Maury Fisher, is ~73, and he knocks down a three pointer or more almost every game).
- Regardless, the teams are picked to be very even in terms of talent. The draft is really fun (everyone is a #1 pick), with Bilas on video analyzing each pick. A typical intro would be, “Smith is a scrappy player who usually scores off hustle plays. That’s basket code, for ‘you suck’…” Bilas is hilarious.
- You will play really hard or you will get yelled at by Carawell, Gene Banks, Laettner, Duhon, or, more likely, Wojo and Collins. Actually, you will be yelled at regardless.
- As a result of playing two games each day at full speed (each player plays about half the game in a forced rotation), you will get extremely tired. You will also get some bruises and floor burns as a result of chasing loose balls in Cameron. I still have some from three weeks ago…. which is a source of great pride.
- As someone mentioned, you eat all the meals together so lots of great stories from that.
- There are also very insightful and inspirational lectures each morning from Coach K or one of the former Duke players (Grant gave a fantastic speech this year).
- You are treated like a Duke player, i.e. your fourth year you get a senior video and huge, cool poster of yourself playing; your fifth year your jersey is retired, etc.
- It is expensive, but definitely the most fun thing I do each year.

Kewlswim
06-27-2009, 09:16 PM
I have been to each of the seven Academy’s. I thought I would comment since I have such a blast each year.

A few comments:

- There are some REALLY good players at camp, and even more who totally suck. I’d like to think I’m somewhere in between.
- All the players (and former Duke players) are really great guys. You will definitely make some good friends.
- Most the guys are in their 40s, but lots are in their 50s+ (the oldest player, Maury Fisher, is ~73, and he knocks down a three pointer or more almost every game).
- Regardless, the teams are picked to be very even in terms of talent. The draft is really fun (everyone is a #1 pick), with Bilas on video analyzing each pick. A typical intro would be, “Smith is a scrappy player who usually scores off hustle plays. That’s basket code, for ‘you suck’…” Bilas is hilarious.
- You will play really hard or you will get yelled at by Carawell, Gene Banks, Laettner, Duhon, or, more likely, Wojo and Collins. Actually, you will be yelled at regardless.
- As a result of playing two games each day at full speed (each player plays about half the game in a forced rotation), you will get extremely tired. You will also get some bruises and floor burns as a result of chasing loose balls in Cameron. I still have some from three weeks ago…. which is a source of great pride.
- As someone mentioned, you eat all the meals together so lots of great stories from that.
- There are also very insightful and inspirational lectures each morning from Coach K or one of the former Duke players (Grant gave a fantastic speech this year).
- You are treated like a Duke player, i.e. your fourth year you get a senior video and huge, cool poster of yourself playing; your fifth year your jersey is retired, etc.
- It is expensive, but definitely the most fun thing I do each year.

Hi,

I remember watching some of Coach K's practices from 1984-1988. From what I've heard he has calmed down quite a bit since then. I think the words "thick skinned" are what I would have taken from those practices.

GO DUKE!

Savage
06-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about the yelling too much. The coaches are much more likely to be yelling praise than criticism. You definitely can't get the experience of play basketball at a place like Duke, without the coaches being animated. It shows they care - which they definitely do.

Kewlswim
06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about the yelling too much. The coaches are much more likely to be yelling praise than criticism. You definitely can't get the experience of play basketball at a place like Duke, without the coaches being animated. It shows they care - which they definitely do.

Hi,

As I get older (but even as a kid) the more negative a coach, or anyone for that matter, got with me the worse I performed. I am just not a negative reinforcement kind of guy. When I played baseball and the coaches were like, "[Kewlswim] it is ok you struck out, we liked your swing. Really great you were thinking opposite field" or something along those lines I was more apt to play better. To pay 10K to have some guy yell negative things at me (even if he is a Duke legend) would be awful. This sounds more like it. I love positive reinforcement. :)

To have Tinkerbell yell positive reinforcement or Wojo or Grant or JJ or Trajan (probably my favorite Devil) or goodness knows who else would ROCK. I hope I can go more now.

GO DUKE!