PDA

View Full Version : EWILL's replacement...

buckshot
06-24-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.ahherald.com/index.php/Schools/rbr-graduate-realizes-his-dream-to-play-basketball-for-duke-university.html

Franzez
06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Come on this dude is probably a walk-on at best.

buckshot
06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
At this point, any guard helps...

Franzez
06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
If so I'll be offering my services.

I know Coach K could use a 5'8 165 lb SG like me.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes!!! Wait...who?

buckshot
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/gallery/7331354_q5GfN#471738640_8j2yP

Nice Casey Peters dunk sequence

dukelifer
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
http://dnn.digitalsports.com/NJ/ScottStump/two_of_a_kind.htm

CDu
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Sounds more like Jordan Davidson's replacement than Williams's replacement.

zingit
06-24-2009, 03:35 PM

In fact, we might need another manager to join the team as well, right? At least if we can't pick up any transfers or recruits or anything like that. In any case, I'm happy for this kid, and if he received offers to play basketball at other (small) schools and has practiced with the team before, he probably at least has many of the fundamentals down.

Shammrog
06-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Dudes and dudettes -

I am happy for the kid, first of all. Second of all, he is no joke as a player - he was good enough to be recruited by (amongst others) the Ivy League, and was good enough to switch to point in HS. Just a look at the dunk picture will tell you that he is no small or subpar athlete either.

In short, he is hardly some kid off the street. He has been a team manager for 2 years while pursuing his dream to play for Duke. Good luck to him, and here's hoping he can contribute!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Dudes and dudettes -

I am happy for the kid, first of all. Second of all, he is no joke as a player - he was good enough to be recruited by (amongst others) the Ivy League, and was good enough to switch to point in HS. Just a look at the dunk picture will tell you that he is no small or subpar athlete either.

In short, he is hardly some kid off the street. He has been a team manager for 2 years while pursuing his dream to play for Duke. Good luck to him, and here's hoping he can contribute!
This guy is not the first team manager to become a member of the team. Most of the managers are pretty good basketball players. Why do you think they beat the Carolina managers so often and the NC State managers won't even play them?

Shammrog
06-24-2009, 04:20 PM
This guy is not the first team manager to become a member of the team. Most of the managers are pretty good basketball players. Why do you think they beat the Carolina managers so often and the NC State managers won't even play them?

Correct you are! Some of these guys - over the years at least - have in fact had scholarship offers at other schools IIRC.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Correct you are! Some of these guys - over the years at least - have in fact had scholarship offers at other schools IIRC.
That's correct. The managers are taught an incredibly successful business model which goes far beyond basketball.

Shammrog
06-24-2009, 05:35 PM
That's correct. The managers are taught an incredibly successful business model which goes far beyond basketball.

Not sure if you meant this as well - but I meant that some of our managers (like this one) actually had scholarship offers to play at other schools. Usually lower Div., but sometimes Ivy League, etc.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Not sure if you meant this as well - but I meant that some of our managers (like this one) actually had scholarship offers to play at other schools. Usually lower Div., but sometimes Ivy League, etc.
I was affirming the scholarship offers elsewhere and adding that the managers are taught about the model used in Coach K's business operations.

Shammrog
06-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I was affirming the scholarship offers elsewhere and adding that the managers are taught about the model used in Coach K's business operations.

Yep - not to mention that a recommendation letter from Coach K probably helps at B-schools. :D

ACCBBallFan
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree the football refugee would be more of a Jordan Davidson replacement than an Elliott Williams sub.

I will be rooting for this year's Duke Basketball equivalent of Rudy as much as the next guy, but for all practical purposes, without Elliott, this year Duke is limited to four guys (only 3 eligible) to play the 4 guard slots in 5 vs. 5 scrimmage as bonafide ACC caliber players.

Seth of course is ineligible and best way for Singler to get used to being a SG (almost half the time) harassed by small quick guys is to have Jon-Kyle on one team and Seth-Nolan-Lance-Plumlees/Olek with full court press on the other or Nolan and Kyle vs. Seth and Jon.

Jon and Nolan also need to get used to playing aside one another for perhaps 5 minutes a game when Kyle rests and may be better to do that being guarded by Seth and Olek with Kyle playing SF on that team to provide more defensive challenge for Nolan/Jon by a strong outside presence they have to shade toward.

The trio Nolan-Jon-Kyle could get adequate practice vs. Seth-Olek-Lance, Seth-Lance-Kelly etc, just not the quad of Jon-Nolan-Kyle-Lance.

Duke will not be able to practice a Nolan-Jon-Kyle-Lance on same team very effectively with just Seth, Olek and Kelly-Mason to challenge them as defenders as much as most ACC defender would.

Other than for future possibilities next season and for variety sake, it does not help much for Jon and Nolan to pair vs. Seth and Kyle since they will rarely be guarded by somebody 6'9" in real games and Kyle gets that practice in the other two sets anyway.

dukebballcamper90-91
06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Pierce Landry

longtimefan
06-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Any thoughts on reggie king from christ school?I still think the devils will be ok.duke has excelled in the past when the chips are down.i expect they will do the same this year.i think k does his best coaching when his back is against the wall.im sure he is still up to the challenge.