PDA

View Full Version : Lance Stephenson-09'

Franzez
06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I had to do this once again, maybe just maybe Coach K takes this risk.

Lance has previously listed Duke on his list and Coach K may have offered a year or 2 ago and im not sure if it was rescinded.

Kedsy
06-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Lance has previously listed Duke on his list and Coach K may have offered a year or 2 ago and im not sure if it was rescinded.

From all published reports there is a distinct possibility that this guy could make the team worse. We're just going to have to move forward with what we have.

Franzez
06-24-2009, 02:29 PM
From all published reports there is a distinct possibility that this guy could make the team worse. We're just going to have to move forward with what we have.
I doubt a player can cause that much damage to a team espescially a team like Duke, if we took in McRoberts who had his eye on the NBA just like Lance there isnt much of a problem if it is only a 1 year thing.

Hell if Lance screws up he gets dismissed, its that simple because right now he would be an addition.

Kedsy
06-24-2009, 02:34 PM
I doubt a player can cause that much damage to a team espescially a team like Duke, if we took in McRoberts who had his eye on the NBA just like Lance there isnt much of a problem if it is only a 1 year thing.

Hell if Lance screws up he gets dismissed, its that simple because right now he would be an addition.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree. All I know about Stephenson is what's in the published reports, so this may not apply to him (although it seems to from the reports) but from both playing and watching I can say with confidence that one selfish player or a player with a bad attitude can totally poison a team, especially if that player has the ball in his hands a lot.

So I don't think it's simple and personally I doubt he would be a valuable addition to the Duke team.

geraldsneighbor
06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
The kid could end up doing 90 days in jail. If we take Lance Stephenson, we'd not be able to ever say Calipari has no ethics when were signing accused criminals.

dukeENG2003
06-24-2009, 02:40 PM
I'd rather miss the NCAA tournament than sign this kid

m g
06-24-2009, 02:41 PM
he's accused (not convicted) of groping a 17 year old girl. we took shelden williams. the criminal part could turn out a lot better than that

that said, i highly doubt we'd take him. the sexual assault case is just one concern among many

Franzez
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
The kid could end up doing 90 days in jail. If we take Lance Stephenson, we'd not be able to ever say Calipari has no ethics when were signing accused criminals.
He was accused and he wont be doing 90 days.

Just like John Wall was accused of breaking into a house and did or did we not still recruit him sir?:p

Franzez
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
he's accused (not convicted) of groping a 17 year old girl. we took shelden williams. the criminal part could turn out a lot better than that

that said, i highly doubt we'd take him. the sexual assault case is just one concern among many
What happened with Shelden?:confused:

I just threw it out there, I know hes probably going to Memphis but wouldnt it be something of Coach K re-recruited Lance as long as he met the same conditions Wall had to meet before we finally offered him a scholarship.

I've seen very few players come across Coach K whether for 1 year or 2 years and end up criminals or failures in life after Coach K makes an impact in their life, and not only Coach K but the Duke family is extremely tight knit and can help mentor this kid the same way we would have done Wall.

camion
06-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't think getting Lance Stephenson would be taking a risk. From all I've read it would be pretty much a sure thing, just not in a good way.

m g
06-24-2009, 03:03 PM
What happened with Shelden?:confused:

williams was accused of rape. most athletes tend to be vindicated of this type of charge (see kobe, duke lacrosse, shelden williams, etc.) because the accuser is just trying to get attention. i don't know how stephenson's case will turn out, but especially when athletes and sexual assault are involved, there are good reasons why we assume people are innocent until proven guilty

Franzez
06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
williams was accused of rape. most athletes tend to be vindicated of this type of charge (see kobe, duke lacrosse, shelden williams, etc.) because the accuser is just trying to get attention. i don't know how stephenson's case will turn out, but especially when athletes and sexual assault are involved, there are good reasons why we assume people are innocent until proven guilty
I had no clue about this.

I never really knew the details about recruiting and players until I found this site.

DUKIE V(A)
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I hope we do not pursue Stephenson.

NYDukie
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
For the uninformed, there is a link to a long article regarding Lance and some of the many reasons colleges are running scared of him from this past Sunday's Daily New on the DBR homepage. I think the non-possibility of Lance being recruited, especially more recently, has been discussed at nauseum. Can we just make this discussion go away...LOL

For the record, Lance is an example of why h.s. seniors should be allowed go straight to the NBA. To many instances of h.s. senior's who either want no part of the college experience or shouldn't be there in the first place. No need to force a player or school's hand in getting a player in as a one year rental. This is why I feel that h.s. senior's should be allowed to enter the NBA draft or if they decided to go to college, it is for a two year committment before they could declare.

El_Diablo
07-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Stephenson is now a Bearcat:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/876182.html

speedevil2001
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Lance cant be that bad of a kid. He can play some serious ball too. I think most people dont have a problem with Lance as a college basketball player, but most people have a problem with his entire entourage coming to the college town with him. Can you imagine the entire neighborhood of brooklyn coming to durham? hahhaha, you folks over there would be running out of town.....

SupaDave
07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Lance cant be that bad of a kid. He can play some serious ball too. I think most people dont have a problem with Lance as a college basketball player, but most people have a problem with his entire entourage coming to the college town with him. Can you imagine the entire neighborhood of brooklyn coming to durham? hahhaha, you folks over there would be running out of town.....

First - Brooklyn is a borough, not a neighborhood.

Second - as a Durham native and grandson of Brooklynites I can tell you that there are PLENTY of NY transplants in Durham. That's just the way migration works in the south.

Third - don't know how much you know about NY Culture but most of the drugs and destruction brought about in the 70s and 80s in NY was brought about by NY Kingpins who hailed from no other than North Carolina (look up Nicky Barnes and Frank Lucas and this is of course excluding a good deal of the organized crime). So I think it's safe to say that most North Carolinians wouldn't freak out.

speedevil2001
07-01-2009, 09:42 PM
First - Brooklyn is a borough, not a neighborhood.

Second - as a Durham native and grandson of Brooklynites I can tell you that there are PLENTY of NY transplants in Durham. That's just the way migration works in the south.

Third - don't know how much you know about NY Culture but most of the drugs and destruction brought about in the 70s and 80s in NY was brought about by NY Kingpins who hailed from no other than North Carolina (look up Nicky Barnes and Frank Lucas and this is of course excluding a good deal of the organized crime). So I think it's safe to say that most North Carolinians wouldn't freak out.

thanks for the education, but lets stick with the subject... you would agree that colleges are more concerned about lance's entourage than his game once on campus.

ChicagoCrazy84
07-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Good luck to Lance at Cincinnati. It seems like the kid has had some negative press and I don't know how much of it is justifiable (truly, I don't know). The Bearcats will most likely be a middle of the pack team in the Big East, so I can't root against him! I am glad he found a home on a college campus. I wish nothing but the best for Lance and his basketball future!

SupaDave
07-02-2009, 01:32 PM
thanks for the education, but lets stick with the subject... you would agree that colleges are more concerned about lance's entourage than his game once on campus.

Not really. That's really up to the Coach he committed to. There were lots of concerns about Iverson but the one thing that never came up in his college career was his entourage - and "Bubbachuck" definitely had one. John Thompson was having none of that.

Lance at Cincy doesn't sound like quite the controlled setting but currently his 'entourage' is composed of family members and a tv crew. The crew will have to go undoubtedly.

El_Diablo
07-11-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/07/11/2009-07-11_former_lincoln_hs_star_lance_stephenson_cops_pl ea_deal_in_groping_case.html

Stephenson agreed to a plea deal for disorderly conduct, avoiding any jail time and ending his pending misdemeanor sexual assault case.

DUKIE V(A)
07-11-2009, 06:21 PM
From what I have seen on TV, which is admittedly limited, he is a pretty selfish player on the court. Talented but not team oriented.