PDA

View Full Version : anyone stayed at the Grove Park Inn/Asheville?

markbdevil
06-22-2009, 09:53 AM
taking my wife there for her birthday. anyone stayed there before? what is acceptable for clothing, places to visit etc........
thanks.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-22-2009, 11:32 AM
taking my wife there for her birthday. anyone stayed there before? what is acceptable for clothing, places to visit etc........
thanks.

Generally speaking, nice casual attire is appropriate. Some restaurants may require mne to wear a jacket for dinner. When are you going to be there?

The Biltmore Estate offers much to see. August 14-30 the south terrace will be planted for the Flower Carpet event. (This year's figure is a fleur de lis.) Here's a link for the estate: http://biltmore.com/

I've always enjoyed Biltmore Village, near the entrance to the estate and always eat at Chelsea's Tea Room and Cafe .... your wife will love this place! If you're into architecture and/or history, be sure to visit All Souls Cathedral in the Village..... the stained glass windows are more beautiful than any by Tiffany because they are made from blown glass, not poured glass. The colors and reflection of light at different times of day are magnificent. http://www.biltmorevillage.com/

You might enjoy the trolley tour of the city's historic and arts neighborhoods.

Kimist
06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
If you are not already aware of it, the "old" Grove Park rooms are relatively few and come at a higher price. The newer rooms down the side of the hill, while OK, are more or less average.

Dress casual is probably the worst you will have to endure at the Grove Park. Be sure to look around the historic lobby, "stand" in the fireplace, check out the hidden elevator and haunted rooms, and more. The Inn currently has some very nice packages for romance and/or pampering.

If you've never been to the Asheville area, you should visit Biltmore House. Downtown Asheville has many nice casual restaurants, antique shops, art studios, and the like.

And try to visit the Parkway. It should be close to gorgeous with the rhododendron et al in bloom. You might have to drive up to the higher elevations, such as Craggy Gardens (north) or Pisgah Inn (south). Parts of the Parkway have been closed due to construction, so you need to check first.

k

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
While the web site for the Biltmore House indicates that three French chateaus were the inspiration for its design, one their brochures indicates that Vaux le Vicomte was the inspiration. It's an interesting choice because its creation caused such jealousy in Louis XIV that he decided to take a hunting lodge he owned and have it made into the palace we now know as Versailles. Here's a link to learn more about Vaux le Vicomte. http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/index.php

CLT Devil
06-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Plenty to see/do in Ashevegas. As far as food. GP Inn is great but if you want to get out here's what I recommend.

Breakfast: Sunny Point on Haywood Rd and The Early Girl
Lunch: Salsas, The Laughing Seed (veg)
Beers: Jack of The Wood - Sit outside on the bench and watch all the interesting folks walk by.
Dinner - Depends on what you're in the mood for.

Check out the Farmer's Market just outside of downtown, right past the Tourists AA Baseball Team stadium. The larger Farmer's market off I-26 is also pretty neat.

If you have a dog one of the coolest places to let them run is at Max Patch, which is off I-40 right as you get near Tennessee (a nice little drive). Basically its a mountain where the top is nothing but grass fields, great views and hiking.

You also can't go wrong w/ the Parkway. Get off at the overlook on mile 417 and if you cross back over the parkway there is an unmarked trail that leads to a waterfall where you can jump off, as well as some very neat flora/fauna, mostly ferns.

Cool stuff....makes me want to move back there

PSurprise
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I work in downtown, and there's a lot to do in and around the city. Shopping and food is everywhere downtown and it's easily walkable. You should see the Grove Arcade (food and shopping) and take a peak in the St. Lawrence Basilica which is just about right across the street.

If you guys like beer, there are TONS of places to get good microbrewed beer. Barley's has 55 taps. For food, you MUST check out Tupelo Honey Cafe-there's always a line, but it's worth it. Good Southern (fried) cookin'!

Biltmore is nice-definitely go and see it if you haven't, but it's $50 (or so) to get in, so plan on spending most of the day there to get your $$$ worth. Parkway is really nice this time of year, and check out the Folk Art Center which is right outside of city. Tons of local crafters (Southern Highland Guild) and wares for sale and exhibit.

And, if you're in downtown looking for some local history/literature history, check out the Thomas Wolfe Memorial. That's where I work :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
I work in downtown, and there's a lot to do in and around the city. Shopping and food is everywhere downtown and it's easily walkable. You should see the Grove Arcade (food and shopping) and take a peak in the St. Lawrence Basilica which is just about right across the street.

If you guys like beer, there are TONS of places to get good microbrewed beer. Barley's has 55 taps. For food, you MUST check out Tupelo Honey Cafe-there's always a line, but it's worth it. Good Southern (fried) cookin'!

Biltmore is nice-definitely go and see it if you haven't, but it's $50 (or so) to get in, so plan on spending most of the day there to get your $$$ worth. Parkway is really nice this time of year, and check out the Folk Art Center which is right outside of city. Tons of local crafters (Southern Highland Guild) and wares for sale and exhibit.

And, if you're in downtown looking for some local history/literature history, check out the Thomas Wolfe Memorial. That's where I work :D
You're right about the price of admission to the Biltmore Estate. Currently it's possible to get a discount by purchasing ahead of time online. In addition, it's generally less expensive to get in Monday - Thursday than Friday - Sunday. Purchasing the tickets from AAA will also reduce the cost. Even if this attraction were free, I would still suggest spending a day there because there is so much to see. Anyone interested in history, wine making or gardening and landscaping will find much to see and contemplate.

weezie
06-24-2009, 10:55 PM
It's been a couple of years but absolutely insist on a non-smoking room. Make sure you clear it in advance and keep driving it home.

killerleft
06-25-2009, 09:25 AM

I love the Thomas Wolfe Memorial. I go there at least every couple years. If "Look Homeward, Angel" is fresh in your mind, or made a lasting impression on you as it did me, The Old Kentucky Home will be both beautiful and haunting.

Oh, and the restoration work done after the almost-disastrous fire was superbly done.

markbdevil
06-25-2009, 10:12 AM
thank you all for your suggestions!

Matches
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I can't recommend it enough. My wife and I went last fall for our anniversary and had a great time. I recommend the Sunset Terrace for dinner - terrific filet mignon topped with crab meat, outstanding view, just great all around.

Horizons is excellent too - they have some amazing lobster bisque.