PDA

View Full Version : Do you volunteer? Have a favorite organization?

dairedevil
06-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Soon I will be leaving on a mission trip to Knott County, Kentucky with a group of youth and adults from my church to volunteer with the Appalachia Service Project. My first ASP trip was in 1993, the first year my son was able to participate - and I've gone every year since. Spending a week each summer helping to make a home "warmer, safer, drier" for a family in the Appalachian regions of Kentucky, W. Virginia, Virginia or Tennessee is one of the best weeks of the year. We may be sleeping on air mattresses, and taking cold outdoor showers, and spending all that time with a bunch of teenagers, but it sure does help me to focus on what is important in life, and what people need to be happy.
I've attached links written by Duke student who is spending the summer working on the staff at one of the centers...it is a hard, hot, difficult job (my son did it when he was in college) but it brings a ton of rewards. He does a great job of describing ASP.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/noteworthy/story/5316393/
http://www.wral.com/news/local/noteworthy/story/5353149/

There are lots of worthy organizations out there. What is your favorite? Why does its mission resonate with you?

snowdenscold
06-22-2009, 01:24 AM
International Justice Mission (IJM)

International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local governments to ensure victim rescue, to prosecute perpetrators and to strengthen the community and civic factors that promote functioning public justice systems.

IJM's justice professionals work in their communities in 12 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America to secure tangible and sustainable protection of national laws through local court systems.

http://www.ijm.org/whoweare

27 Million slaves in the world today - I think that speaks for itself...

* The total market value of illicit human trafficking is estimated to be in excess of $32 billion (U.N.)
* Each year, more than 2 million children are exploited in the global commercial sex trade (UNICEF)
* 27 million men, women and children are held as slaves. (Kevin Bales, Disposable People)
* 1 in 5 women is a victim of rape or attempted rape in her lifetime. (U. N. Development Fund for Women)
* More than 1 million children live in detention, the vast majority awaiting trial for minor offenses. (UNICEF)

devil84
06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Girl Scouts, my kids' high school, and DBR.

I'm a 15 year veteran leader of Girl Scouts. I love the teen program! I had a troop up until 2 years ago when they graduated -- 6 of 7 got their Gold Awards. The last four years of our troop (high school years), the 7 girls combined had over 4000 community service hours combined. I still work with the Girl Scouts helping to run the large teen Camporee and Jamboree events, and now most of my girls still help as adult leaders.

I love how the Girl Scout program strives to teach leadership to the girls. It's very, very rare that leadership opportunities are found in the school system. Likewise, life skills are learned in Girl Scouts. Like the girl who was terrified of lighting the camp stove in sixth grade -- who, by high school, was the early riser who always lit the camp stove as soon as the first adult was up so everyone would have hot chocolate, coffee, and eggs in a baggie. Or the numerous girls in the teen jewelry workshops I taught who learned to thread a needle for the first time in their upper-middle class life. Or the time where the severe storms rolled through at the Jamboree with 2500 attendees age K-12, and my girls on the Core Staff as seniors in high school took the initiative to get up on the stage in the main shelter and arrange an impromptu sing along to calm the frightened campers and leaders. The Girl Scouts desperately need leaders for girls of all ages -- you don't have to have a child in the program, and men are welcome! It's SO rewarding to watch these girls grow!

Likewise, I've been the Co-President of the Athens Drive Band Boosters for the last two years. For the last five years, I've worked with the band program on a daily basis. Both of my kids have gone through, and this program is the only place in the school that insists on student leadership and is a living character education lab. Because the school system is growing by 5000-8000 students per year, the arts is woefully unfunded. There are 180 students in the band program (out of an enrollment of 2000), and there is no funding for the band program outside of providing the teacher and office supplies (the Principal sometimes kicks in an instrument each year, for about a $2500 contribution). Our annual budget is about $170,000, not counting a spring trip. The Marching Band routinely places first or second in their class (4A -- the largest bands), the Wind Ensemble takes Superior ratings playing grade V-VI music (college level), the Winter Drumline and Winterguard take top ten honors in the Regional Championships, the Percussion Ensemble is one of eight nationwide to be invited to play at the National Music Festival in Indianapolis, nine kids made All-District, three kids made All-State, two All-Americans, and our band director had two Teacher/Band Director of the Year awards. All this, and 85% of the kids are on the honor roll, 100% college bound, and most in AP classes. With only one paid school employee, this is a huge challenge to keep this going. The parents and kids are first rate, and we have a blast working together in a large "family" environment. Because there's only one director for 70 kids in a class or 125 kids in the marching band (an after school activity), the students MUST learn teamwork, leadership, self-reliance -- and the self-esteem follows. The seniors are some of the most selfless, dedicated kids, and so much fun to work with. They ENJOY the adults being around!

And, of course I moderate the DBR in my free time. Also very rewarding -- and still kinda like working with teenagers. Many posters are just teenagers with a number of years of experience. :D

I love working with teenagers. They are incredibly optimistic about life. If they put their minds to something, they can do anything. And to watch them succeed with little nudges of help along the way...nothing has been more rewarding. It's the same pride as being a parent, but in addition to my 2 kids (one earned her Gold, the other was an All-American drummer this year, so I'm a very, very proud parent), I have 180 band kids and 40 Girls Scouts every year, too!

4decadedukie
06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Duke; throughout the last 15+ years, I have served on many local (DC area) and campus Duke and Fuqua volunteer leadership boards, executive committees, councils. This is an excellent way to give back to the University (time and talent, as well as treasury . . . to cite advancement’s “Three Ts”) and, equally important, you develop deep, lasting friendships with some terrific people (both alumni and staff/administrators).

HoganLake
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
My favorite is CUE Center for Missing Persons. I am on the board so I help to raise money to support educational programs and search activities. I also assist in wilderness type searches for the missing. Working with the families and helping out those that are going through a level of grief that most of us will never understand makes the tick bites, cuts, bruises, sore knees and soaking wet clothing is 40 degree weather worth it.

I am also a Knight of Columbus where I help raise money for Special Olympics and the Wounded Warrior Foundation. We also support the church in anyway. I had the honor to help with a funeral mass for one of our local police officers who died while on duty.

BluDevilGal
06-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Soon I will be leaving on a mission trip to Knott County, Kentucky with a group of youth and adults from my church to volunteer with the Appalachia Service Project.

Dairedevil, I'm so jealous that you're going on ASP! I went 3 times in high school and got to go back as a chaperon 2 summers ago. I would go every summer if I could, but alas, my real world job does not give me enough vacation time to make it possible. You don't happen to go with a group from Greensboro, do you? If so, we probably know each other!

SupaDave
06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I have my own non-profit organization called "The Sons of Durham" and we partner throughout the year with Big Brothers/Big Sisters. I also do work representing my fraternity (Omega Psi Phi) from time to time in service projects - I tend to like the roadside clean-up and Habitat for Humanity projects.

Through my job I go around and speak to local Atlanta School kids about careers in engineering and construction and as a published Author I give lifestyle presentations to youth (not exactly free however).

And later this year, as a representative of the Sons of Durham, I will be participating in the Steve Vacendak Annual Golf Tourney at Appalachian State Univ. Steve was a classmate of mine and is the son of Duke's own Steve Vacendak.

Oh yeah, and I'm a moderator for the DBR. :)

NYC Duke Fan
06-25-2009, 09:41 PM
I volunteer my time and money to The Ronald McDonald House, help serving meals and just trying to comfort and support those parents whose children are undergoing cancer treatment.

bjornolf
06-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Man do I feel lame. I only volunteer at boring old Habitat for Humanity. I also give some time at church and my kids' school. I give money to my old high school, as companies donate based on alum participation, so I give a minimum to help bump their numbers. I give money to the church and school, and we also adopted one of those kids in South America for $25 a month to pay for their food, clothing, and schooling. Compared to some of you guys, I feel like a nub.