PDA

View Full Version : Duke Radio Network changes hands

callaway
06-18-2009, 01:17 PM
ISP Sports has acquired Durham, N.C.-based Moore Productions and with it the rights to Duke’s radio network and weekly magazine, as well as its TV coaches’ shows.
ISP and Duke are believed to be working on a more comprehensive package that also would fold sponsorships, signage, game-day publications and Internet rights into a long-term deal.
Moore Productions’ current agreement with the Blue Devils has four years left on it. Terms of the arrangement were not available, but a new contract would likely extend 10 or more years, as ISP has done with many of its other university partners.
Johnny Moore, the owner of Moore Productions, has worked on Duke’s athletic business in a variety of roles for more than 20 years and will stay on as general manager of the Duke ISP Sports Network.
Ben Sutton, ISP’s chief executive officer, said he’s known Moore for close to 30 years and that the Duke property “has been of interest to us for some time.”
The Duke radio network is an area with particular upside, Sutton said. The network has mostly been contained to a statewide operation, but “we think there’s opportunity for syndicating Duke’s broadcast beyond North Carolina,” Sutton said. “Duke has alumni all over and it has a particularly strong alumni influence in the Northeast.”

roywhite
06-18-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=62578

A poster on TDD mentioned this; I had not seen news of this; this link (don't have subscription myself) is about the only mention I find of it, but looks to be legit.

ISP is a successful and growing enterprise that has been able to leverage their broadcasting and marketing abilities into an operation that works with more and more college sports media departments.

I suspect Johnny Moore, a longtime part of the Duke sports scene, has gotten a nice piece of change in this transaction. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Duke radio network and its coverage areas; hope Bob Harris stays at it.

gotham devil
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=62578

A poster on TDD mentioned this; I had not seen news of this; this link (don't have subscription myself) is about the only mention I find of it, but looks to be legit.

ISP is a successful and growing enterprise that has been able to leverage their broadcasting and marketing abilities into an operation that works with more and more college sports media departments.

I suspect Johnny Moore, a longtime part of the Duke sports scene, has gotten a nice piece of change in this transaction. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Duke radio network and its coverage areas; hope Bob Harris stays at it.

I can't imagine that they'd ever get rid of Bob Harris. He's an institution.

RelativeWays
06-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Since Coach Cut is new he may not have any pull yet, but you can be sure that K is going to have some input on who covers his basketball team, especially on an official capacity. I doubt you see Harris or Lawrence go anywhere unless they want to leave

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-18-2009, 03:37 PM
The current issue of Blue Devil Weekly makes this announcement of a change in the ownership of Moore Productions. The transition begins this summer. It appears that many of the employees who produce BDW will continue will continue to be involved in various capacities. BDW will change to a monthly magazine called "GoDuke The Magazine." One of the possibilities which may come out of this change is that the broadcasting of Duke games may become available outside the current limited area. ISP, the company buying Moore Enterprises, began thirty years ago with representing Wake Forest University.

I've been looking for a version of this announcement I read before BDW arrived, but can't locate it.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-18-2009, 05:49 PM
The current issue of Blue Devil Weekly makes this announcement of a change in the ownership of Moore Productions.
This issue also announces that Jack Winters has been promoted to Asst. AD for fund raising and will no longer head up The Iron Dukes. I wish Jack much success, but will miss seeing him at games as we walk in the halls. Haven't met the new guy yet, but I'm sure he'll do well too and is very nice.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-18-2009, 06:22 PM
This issue also announces that Jack Winters has been promoted to Asst. AD for fund raising and will no longer head up The Iron Dukes. I wish Jack much success, but will miss seeing him at games as we walk in the halls. Haven't met the new guy yet, but I'm sure he'll do well too and is very nice.
I think we can count on Jack to continue to be very visible, perhaps more so than before.

Yes, Eric is a very nice guy who's been at all the Iron Duke events over the past year and a half or so. He's a Tennessee graduate with a great background for his new position.

homebre
06-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I too hope Bob stays. Duke basketball and football would never be the same. I just hope they switch stations from WDNC. Its range at night is about 10 miles. I live in Hillsborough NC and cannot receive their broadcasts at night!