PDA

View Full Version : No Idol Thread Yet?

Bostondevil
04-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, I watched Idol tonight. Mentally, I can't deal with the VT situation yet.

OK, so country, I hate this night every year cause we get insipid stuff like "Broken Wing" and "Jesus Take the Wheel" instead of the Hanks (Williams or Thompson). Will somebody please sing "Your Cheatin' Heart"? Can it ever really be country night without it?

Going home - Chris.

Surprisingly good - Phil.

Losing the battle of the divas - LaKisha. I won't be surprised if she hits the seal tomorrow night.

Right now, I'm predicting a top 4 of Melinda, Blake, Jordin, and . . .
Sanjaya. I think he will finish 4th. I do not think he will win.

JasonEvans
04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Dude, I watched my TIVO'd Idol late so I did not start the thread last night. Forgive me!!

I am posting a very different prediction from yours-- I think it is finally Sanjaya's turn to leave. Simon summed it up very well last night when he said, essentially, "look, its been fun and you have been a good sport but we are getting to the point where this needs to be a serious competition to pick the winner of a singing contest and you simply cannot sing."

I was right out there saying Sanjaya did a nice job last week and he was even tollerable the week before. Last night he was just terrible. It wasn't even karaoke-- it was bad karaoke. He stunk up the joint. His voice was just flat, no tone or musical sound at all. It was wretched. I know there are powerful forces trying to keep him in the competition, but we are talking about tens of millions of votes being cast -- hopefully the vast majority of the votes will be by people who actually care about picking the best singer and Sanjaya will be toast.

-Jason "what a predictably bad song choice too!" Evans

riverside6
04-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Dial Idol certainly has some interesting predictions (http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp)

Right now Sanjaya is at the bottom just above Blake (who was pretty bad last night too), and right now Phil Stacey is the only one that Dial Idol predicts to be safe.

Personally, I think it will be Chris or Lakisha.

JasonEvans
04-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Oopps, in my haste to slam Sanjaya, I forgot to talk about everyone else.

Phil just kicked butt. That was as good as he gets and he needed it. I thought he was in big-time trouble this week -- he seems to be bottom three every week -- but that performance almost certainly saved him.

Jordin was also very good, though a little forgettable. I liked it while I was listening to it, but had trouble rememberring anything special about it after it was done. Oh wait-- I just remembered that she hit a realyl strong last note. Anyway, I cannot fathom that she is in any danger this week or for a couple weeks to come.

Lakisha wasn't as bad as the judges seemed to think, but I agree that the song seemed strange on her. It started out really udnerstated, and I was into it, but when she tried to make it big it felt awkward. Remember how good she was early in the competition? I dunno what is up but she has clearly gone backwards in a big way in recent weeks. She may survive this week, but I think she is bottom 3 and likely in trouble next week without a strong performance.

I don't think I could dislike Chris Richardson more if I tried. I thought he was just horrid. He keeps on trying to turn everything into a boy band song. Blech!! He simply must be bottom 3 this week. The judges hated him and I agree that his voice did not go well with this song. What am I saying, his voice does not go well with any songs! He has no voice!! Ok, I am overreacting, but I am convinced that his continued presence siphons off some fans from my favorite Idol, Blake. If Sanjaya does not go, it must be Chris.

Speaking of Blake I thought he sorta went safe this week. His performance was ok, but nothing special for him. I've never heard that song before, I am no country fan, but I liked it. He was sorta quiet throughout most of it. My wife points out that his way of singing and moving around on stage are fairly distinctive and she thinks she would know it was him even with her eyes closed, which is really saying something considering my wife is so "musically challenged" could not tell Mick Jagger from Michael Jackson with her eyes closed. I still think Blake is destined to be in the final 2 or 3 on the show (along with Melinda and Jordin) and he is clearly the best of the guys.

Melinda actually looked better this week, though she still has the widest nose this side of Shrek. I liked her hair. I had not heard the song she sang before but she sang it well. She's a pro, and I agree with Simon that there was a little bit of Tina Turner in her performance. Very solid.

So, to recap-- bottom 3 are Chris, Sanjaya, and Lakisha. Sanjaya goes home... I hope... but I can live with any of those 3 being voted off. Frankly, if any of the other 4 are even in the bottom 2, I'll be angry.

-Jason "perpare to be angry, Jason... I think this could be a surprise week as country music may have turned off many traditional Idol fans (who tend to listen to pop)" Evans

Bostondevil
04-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Dude, I watched my TIVO'd Idol late so I did not start the thread last night. Forgive me!!

I'm not criticizing, I'm amazed I was first!

And you know I'm not a dude, right? Or do you call everyone dude?

AtlBluRew
04-18-2007, 10:09 AM
On this morning's news show on Atlanta's Fox affiliate, naturally all of the talk was either Virginia Tech Massacre or American Idol. The designated AI guy actually said that it was imperative that Sanjaya go this week because, well, it's been a week of serious news and his continued presence on AI makes a mockery of that! I don't like Sanjaya either ... but that's just warped!

My bottom three for this week is Sanjaya, Chris and Lakisha also. Phil was really good, I thought. I thought that Chris sounded right for that song ... the same irritating twang as Rascal Flatts ... but I don't like that kind of twang and I doubt that it resonates with most AI voters. I'd never heard Blake's song either, but it sounded like an 80's rock song to me. I had visions of Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran and bands like that as he sang.

I have the impression that Chris wouldn't mind leaving now. Last week he was all smiles in the bottom 3. He fired back at Simon last night. I think he's OK with the knowledge that he won't win the whole thing and that he's going on tour, and that being in the top 7 is enough.

Sanjaya's hair can't save him this week -- it was barely visible behind the bandana. But Sanjaya had nothing to do with the news from VT!!

JasonEvans
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm not criticizing, I'm amazed I was first!

And you know I'm not a dude, right? Or do you call everyone dude?

I call everyone Dude. Dudette sounds silly.

CMS2478
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
So does Sanjaya's singing. :D

oso diablo
04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Sanjaya had nothing to do with the news from VT!!
my take on that moment. earlier, when Chris made his comment about VT, Simon rolled his eyes. I was shocked, and thought that Simon had finally done it - he's going to tick off his viewers. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers put a frantic bug in his ear during the break to make amends.

oso diablo
04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
clipped for space

Jordin was also very good, though a little forgettable. I liked it while I was listening to it, but had trouble rememberring anything special about it after it was done. Oh wait-- I just remembered that she hit a realyl strong last note.

Lakisha wasn't as bad as the judges seemed to think, but I agree that the song seemed strange on her. It started out really udnerstated, and I was into it, but when she tried to make it big it felt awkward. Remember how good she was early in the competition? I dunno what is up but she has clearly gone backwards in a big way in recent weeks. She may survive this week, but I think she is bottom 3 and likely in trouble next week without a strong performance.

Jordin was amazing. Plenty of contestants have tried to sing Martina McBride (i'm a huge fan of hers) songs before, including Underwood and DeGarmo IIRC, and no one has done it nearly as well as Jordin did last night. I had to break down and actually cast a vote or two.

Lakisha, who has been my favorite singer all along, was terrible last night. Though i remarked that her worst week was still better than Sanjaya's best week. And it would be a shame for her to go before him.

For the first time, i actually enjoyed a Melinda performance. I've always found her boring.

edensquad
04-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I am in the country music biz, so here goes: contemporary country music today is not all that different than pop melodically, but country has better lyrics, IMHO... as Martina said, it tells a story. Only a few of the singers told the story well last night.

Phil, Jordin and Melinda were the best..... Sanjaya the worst. But, I was surprised the judges let Blake off so easy... he was REALLY pitchy... Lakisha and Chris were not much better.

Personally, I have never understood what point it proves having these singers perform "out of their element." It's not as if they'd have Martina perform a hip-hop song tonight.... why not let the singers pick their own songs, regardless of format, each week? Let Lakisha be R & B, let Blake & Chris be beat-box boy-band singers, let Sanjaya be....... gone, lol!

Bostondevil
04-18-2007, 06:18 PM
I call everyone Dude.

You may call me Dude anytime then.

edensquad
04-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Folks, Martina McBride gave a clinic tonight on how to give a great vocal performance... really, really fine ;-)

Bostondevil
04-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Actually, I will miss him. I thought his sing out about the hair was priceless. Still think the guy was one of the smarter contestants Idol has ever had. Smarter as in "I get it and I'm not delusional" kind of way. I'll think he'll be fine and won't need a counsellor like John Stevens from Season 3.

Also, I bow to the superior prognostic powers of Jason Evans. I was right the first two weeks but not since.

JasonEvans
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Actually, I will miss him. I thought his sing out about the hair was priceless. Still think the guy was one of the smarter contestants Idol has ever had. Smarter as in "I get it and I'm not delusional" kind of way. I'll think he'll be fine and won't need a counsellor like John Stevens from Season 3.

Also, I bow to the superior prognostic powers of Jason Evans. I was right the first two weeks but not since.

I agree, I loved the hair line in the song. I was a bit taken aback to see Sanjaya crying so mcuh when he was voted off. He had to know that it would be bad for him and for the show for him to go much further. We really only have a couple people left who are not massively out of his league as singers.

I am no super prognosticator. I think we are getting a sense of who is and is not popular with the masses. By the way, DialIdol really nailed it this week. Picked all three of the bottom three and the lowest of them was voted out. I wonder if now that we are getting fewer contestants and more busy signals it gets easier for Dialidol to get it right. Hmmmm.

As an aside, I'll go out on a limb and predict some stuff for next week having not even heard anyone sing.

Phil and Chris are in trouble because they were safe this week and their fanbases may not feel as worried about them. If either of them have a weak week, they could really be sunk. I suspect that Blake will be just fine as his fans will be worried after he was bottom three this week. I don't think Lakisha has a superr-loyal fan base so she will need a dynamite performance or she will certainly be in the bottom and would be my odds-on pick to be voted out.

Did anyone notice what the "theme" is next week?

-Jason "why is the results show an hour?!??! I only watch the final 10 minutes" Evans

rthomas
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I am not an idol watcher but my daughter got me curious about Sanjaya (sp?) so we watched last night and I have to tell you that was time out of my life that I will never get back. As Simon, might say, That was dreadful. What a waste of time.

First, everyone was correct about Sanjaya - his singing at the end of the show was butt-ugly.

Second, my 13-year old daughter thought that the dude with the short black hair was trying to be a backstreet boy. Get your own identity, dude.

And what is wrong with the black woman who can't stand up straight. Does she have self esteem issues or what. I could never take her seriously.

Please, tell me you really don't watch this show!!!

Bostondevil
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I was a bit taken aback to see Sanjaya crying so mcuh when he was voted off.

I'll offer my interpretation. He's only 17. He's awfully young to have gone through the media storm that has surrounded him, none of it his fault either, and, IMHO, he has handled it extremely well. I'm guessing being voted off was both a disappointment and something of a relief. He hid his face from the camera in what I think was an effort to get control of himself. Then he poked fun at himself and the whole process with the hair lyrics. Dude has his head on straight.

And just think what they did to him last week with all the standing up and sit back down nonsense. The show has used him much more than he's used the show. If he wants to cry for a minute, let him.

Like I said, I'll miss him.

CMS2478
04-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I'll offer my interpretation. He's only 17. He's awfully young to have gone through the media storm that has surrounded him, none of it his fault either, and, IMHO, he has handled it extremely well. I'm guessing being voted off was both a disappointment and something of a relief. He hid his face from the camera in what I think was an effort to get control of himself. Then he poked fun at himself and the whole process with the hair lyrics. Dude has his head on straight.

And just think what they did to him last week with all the standing up and sit back down nonsense. The show has used him much more than he's used the show. If he wants to cry for a minute, let him.

Like I said, I'll miss him.

I am not a fan of his as far as singing goes.............but really what has he done to make everyone hate him so much. It's not his fault he kept getting through. I think for a 17 year old kid he handled all the negative comments about him like a pro.

Clipsfan
04-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I am not a fan of his as far as singing goes.............but really what has he done to make everyone hate him so much. It's not his fault he kept getting through. I think for a 17 year old kid he handled all the negative comments about him like a pro.

I agree. I think that there was a period back when the Finals started that he was hoping that he would be eliminated so that he wouldn't have to

1) Sing

2) Hear the judges rip his performance (rightfully so)

3) Have the media rip him as a person

He did a really good job of trying to make the most of the situation, especially considering that he's young. I thought that he was slightly shy from the Hollywood week/tryouts, and if nothing he showed that he is much stronger than I thought. I still didn't ever vote for him (not that I vote for anyone).