PDA

View Full Version : Mina Harigae

heyman25
06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Finally found out why she left Duke.Wrong Mindset for academics. She is blowing up on the Duramed Futures Tour.Amanda Blumenhurst and Jennie Lee her former teammates are also on this.

If she becomes rich and famous maybe she can donate to Duke after making Coach Brooks a player short.

http://www.duramedfuturestour.com/

Lots of star frosh Becca Ward fencing and Mallory Cecil tennis. The Brazilian male in tennis next fall and the decathlete from New Mexico will be impact athletes.

Tappan Zee Devil
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Finally found out why she left Duke.Wrong Mindset for academics. She is blowing up on the Duramed Futures Tour.Amanda Blumenhurst and Jennie Lee her former teammates are also on this.

If she becomes rich and famous maybe she can donate to Duke after making Coach Brooks a player short.

Lots of star frosh Becca Ward fencing and Mallory Cecil tennis. The Brazilian male in tennis next fall and the decathlete from New Mexico will be impact athletes.

Exactly what are you trying to say? Please speak English in complete sentences.

roywhite
06-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Lots of star frosh.....Becca Ward fencing and Mallory Cecil tennis. The Brazilian male in tennis next fall and the decathlete from New Mexico will be impact athletes.

Thanks for the post on Harigae; it was disappointing to see the women's golf team short-handed as they tried to defend their titles this past season. But such things happen.

I found the post understandable; could have used a break or a little explanation in one spot. Another gifted athlete arriving shortly is Mason Plumlee.

heyman25
06-18-2009, 05:22 AM
I guess I could have used better grammar there. Dan Brooks was very excited about getting the Nation's top HS golfer to come to Duke.She played in the fall. In the spring is when women golf teams compete for the National Championship. She left before the 2nd semester started leaving the team a player short and a scholarship wasted.Her success on the futures tour demonstrates what a great golfer she is.Duke would have most likely had another National Championship if she had stayed.

Morgan Pressel backed out before she came to Duke.No Duke women's golfer has won a LPGA championship yet. Brittany Lang is doing very well,but also left before graduating.

miramar
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
While I guess you are better off without someone who doesn't want to stay around, suddenly the one-year NBA rule doesn't sound so bad. A one and done is better than a half and done.

roywhite
06-18-2009, 04:16 PM
While I guess you are better off without someone who doesn't want to stay around, suddenly the one-year NBA rule doesn't sound so bad. A one and done is better than a half and done.

That could be the case with tennis star Mallory Cecil. No inside info, but I would think she'll move to the pro circuit pretty soon.

Hard to fault her; despite just enrolling for the second semester in 2009 (actually an early enrollee), she won the NCAA singles title and led the team to the NCAA team championship. In addition, she is apparently very well liked by team members, and has greatly enjoyed her Duke experience.

I'd guess that by August, before school begins, she'll make a decision as to whether to return to Duke or go pro.

Good luck, Mallory. You've done a great job.

heyman25
06-19-2009, 06:02 AM
The men signed a Brazilian that has played at Wimbledon. He may get a NCAA singles crown for Duke Men's tennis. Henrique Cunha is his name. He has the best credentials ever for a Duke men's tennis player.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22583&SPID=1839&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3749709

jimsumner
06-19-2009, 08:43 AM
RE: Mallory Cecil. She graduated from high school a semester early. She should still have been in high school this past spring. Ponder that awhile.

The last time I talked to Mallory and coach Jamie Ashworth, they both seemed confident that she would be back next season. Of course, that was before she won the NCAA title.

Still, she's very bright and really seems to enjoy school. She also was talking about law school somewhere down the line. So, I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see her again at Duke.

Bluedog
06-19-2009, 09:17 AM
The men signed a Brazilian that has played at Wimbledon. He may get a NCAA singles crown for Duke Men's tennis. Henrique Cunha is his name. He has the best credentials ever for a Duke men's tennis player.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22583&SPID=1839&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3749709

Just to clarify: Cunha has played in Junior Wimbledon. Still impressive, but not the "normal" Wimbledon that most people think of. He advanced to the quarterfinals and has been ranked as high as #6 in the ITF World Junior rankings. Obviously, a great talent and a great pickup. Looks like Duke is getting more international with its male tennis program, following the leads of other top programs (I believe Baylor didn't have a single American player when they won the NCAAs a few years back) - Charles Brezac from France, Ludovic Walter from France, Peter Rodrigues from Portugal, and Kiril Dimitrov from Bulgaria just graduated in recent years. Currently on the roster is Alain Michel from Brazil and Torsten Wietoskac from Germany. With three on the roster, it's certainly not overwhelming (like Baylor), but is continuing to be a sizeable contingent. In many countries (esp eastern europe), tennis is the second most popular sport (behind soccer) so there's a lot of great talent from overseas.

Also, while it's a great pickup, it's way premature to even suggest Cunha's equipped at this point to win the NCAA singles title. I don't think it's even that obvious to declare that he's the best male tennis recruit at Duke ever. Philip King, who graduated in 2004, I believe, was ranked as the #1 junior in the country two years in a row - virtually unheard of. He won at Kalamazoo twice (the biggest hard court national tournament of the year; becoming the first player since WWII to win it twice in a row) and got a wild card in the real US Open both times. He also won the Junior US Open TWICE. Cunha's best performance at a junior grand slam in the quarterfinals, as far as I know. I'm not sure of King's highest ITF ranking, but I'm confident it was in the top 10. While King's college career was certainly strong and nothing to be embarrassed about, he was nowhere near the dominant force at #1 singles that people expected based on his lofty junior ranking. He routinely beat players like Roddick and Blake in the juniors...Just as in basketball, great talent and rankings at one level doesn't always translate to the next level.

jimsumner
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
While we're on the subject of in-coming freshmen in non-revenue sports, this release from Duke SID might be of interest.

"The United States finished second behind tournament champion Argentina at the TOYOTA Junior Golf World Cup supported by JAL. The Americans - who shared the third-round lead with Argentina - finished three shots back. Duke incoming freshman Brinson Paolini paced the USA team with a three-under 68 in the final round.

The Argentineans - who led or shared the lead all four rounds of the tournament - had their best round of the tournament at 8-under par 205 to pull away from third-round co-leader United States. Both Tomas Cocha (67) and Leandro Marelli (66) posted their best days of the tournament to lead Argentina in the final round. Cocho carded a double-bogey and two bogeys but eight birdies while Marelli had five birdies to one bogey. Cocho’s effort was good enough to move him into second individually (-9) while Marelli tied for eighth (-4).

Paolini finished the event tied for 23rd with an even-par 284. After shooting 72-76 (+6) in the opening two rounds, he settled in to pace the USA team with back-to-back rounds of 68 to close the tournament."

heyman25
06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Coach Brooks recruited another star Lindy Duncan who qualified for US Open.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3753424