PDA

View Full Version : non-drafted

Dukeford
06-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Since it's off season, this might be an interesting topic for those that have been around for awhile.

I just realized that Robert Brickey didn't even get drafted back in '90.
How could that be?
Sure, he may have had a tough time making a team, but he was a great athlete, so I'm surprised that nobody even called his name.

At least Thomas Hill got drafted, and Brian Davis even played for part of a season or so.

Does anybody remember this?

Here's a list of all players that were drafted.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/draft.cgi?college=duke

CDu
06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Since it's off season, this might be an interesting topic for those that have been around for awhile.

I just realized that Robert Brickey didn't even get drafted back in '90.
How could that be?
Sure, he may have had a tough time making a team, but he was a great athlete, so I'm surprised that nobody even called his name.

At least Thomas Hill got drafted, and Brian Davis even played for part of a season or so.

Does anybody remember this?

Here's a list of all players that were drafted.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/draft.cgi?college=duke

I would have been surprised to find Brickey had been drafted. Lots of really good players and lots of really good athletes (even from elite schools) don't get drafted. Only 54 players in the entire country got drafted in 1990.

If anything, I'm a bit surprised that Brian Davis got drafted.

jimsumner
06-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Brickey is 6'5". For his career he made 62.0% of his foul shots and was 2-9 on 3s. In 134 games, he had 146 assists and 277 turnovers.

I think that suggests an answer.

Dukeford
06-17-2009, 09:30 PM
I guess time fades the memory on specifics.
I certainly enjoyed watching him play though.

Dukeford
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
I would have been surprised to find Brickey had been drafted. Lots of really good players and lots of really good athletes (even from elite schools) don't get drafted. Only 54 players in the entire country got drafted in 1990.

If anything, I'm a bit surprised that Brian Davis got drafted.

Upon closer inspection, I see that Brian Davis graduated and was drafted in '92.
But he played a year later in 93-94 for the T-Wolves.
There must have been a Laettner assist on that one.

dukestheheat
06-17-2009, 10:08 PM
^^^^

I was at Duke during the Brickey days; he was a great, great leaper and a true entertainer in the open court with the ball. He could dunk in traffic and got one of the best dunks in Duke history, in my opinion, over at UNC and got called for travelling (he did NOT travel!).

He didn't have the full skill package for the NBA, however, so I'm not surprised that he didn't get drafted.

I really miss those days by the way. We were getting dominant and we held court over the whole of college basketball for quite some time, then.

dth.

JasonEvans
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Brickey is 6'5". For his career he made 62.0% of his foul shots and was 2-9 on 3s. In 134 games, he had 146 assists and 277 turnovers.

I think that suggests an answer.

Shockingly, the NBA was not interested in 6-5 centers... despite the success of Charles Barkley as a 6-6 PF.

-Jason "wow, could that kid ever SKY!" Evans

http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/finewineentertainment/images/content/BrickeySetonHall2-600.jpg

Dukeford
06-18-2009, 10:51 PM
What about Kevin Strickland?
Surely he was worth a 2nd round pick.

Kedsy
06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Shockingly, the NBA was not interested in 6-5 centers... despite the success of Charles Barkley as a 6-6 PF.

-Jason "wow, could that kid ever SKY!" Evans

Except Barkley was really only 6'4". It's absolutely amazing he led the league in rebounding (at least one year; I'm not sure if it was more).

Maxwell1977
06-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Except Barkley was really only 6'4". It's absolutely amazing he led the league in rebounding (at least one year; I'm not sure if it was more).

Of course, he was 6'1" wide.

Indoor66
06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Of course, he was 6'1" wide.

Very well known as the "Round Mound of Rebound."

whereinthehellami
06-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Didn't Brickey blow his knee out as a junior or senior?

jimsumner
06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
"Didn't Brickey blow his knee out as a junior or senior? "

Both actually. He was mugged in the Seton Hall game in the 1989 FF and missed about four games with another knee injury in 1990, his senior year. I'm sure it didn't help his long-term career aspirations but he was still pretty explosive when he finished up.